Random Image

HB, Pat

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-06, 01:46:51
junee: Bubble

2024-05-06, 01:46:39
junee: b

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomereader1

Not sure it's "about" Tony Blair.  They may have used segments of his life before and during his tenure as Prime Minister.  Doesn't seem to me to be "about" a real person, especially Blair.  He may have done stuff that we, in the U.S., were not especially aware of.  But...who knows.  To me it's just entertainment.  Read the book first, and then decide about seeing the movie.
Marilyne, I too, loved Dr. Zhivago.  It is a beautifully crafted movie.   Let's all raise our voices and sing "Somewhere My Love"!   

Marilyne

Gloria de - Yes! The soundtrack from Doctor Zhivago, is gorgeous.  The theme music for a movie, can add just the right touch.

I watched the second half this afternoon, and loved every minute of it.  It's a shame that they don't make big epic movies anymore.  The kind that tell a wonderful story against the backdrop of an important historical event.  Others films along the same lines would be, Ryan's Daughter, Lawrence of Arabia, From Here to Eternity, and of course . . . Gone With The Wind

CallieOK

Let's all raise our voices and sing "Somewhere My Love"!       I'll waltz while everybody else sings.   ;D

FlaJean

Marilyne and Tome, This was in Wikipedia about the author of Ghost Writer and where I saw the reference to Tony Blair.

Harris was an early and enthusiastic backer of British Prime Minister Tony Blair (a personal acquaintance) and a donor to New Labour, but the war in Iraq blunted his enthusiasm.[2] "We had our ups and downs, but we didn't really fall out until the invasion of Iraq, which made no sense to me," Harris has said.[3]

In 2007, after Blair resigned, Harris dropped his other work to write The Ghost. The title refers both to a professional ghostwriter, whose lengthy memorandum forms the novel, and to his immediate predecessor who, as the action opens, has just drowned in gruesome and mysterious circumstances.

The dead man has been ghosting the autobiography of a recently unseated British prime minister called Adam Lang, a thinly veiled version of Blair.[4] The fictional counterpart of Cherie Blair is depicted as a sinister manipulator of her husband. Harris told The Guardian before publication: "The day this appears a writ might come through the door. But I would doubt it, knowing him."[5]

Marilyne

Callie - I'll stand and clap, while you waltz and Tome sings! ;D I have the world's worst singing voice. :-[

FlaJean - Thanks for the explanation on "Ghost Writer".  It sounds like an excellent book, and I plan to check the library and see if they have a copy. 

Sandy

I watched the ghost writer yesterday  (movie)   and it was very interesting.  Thanks for recommending it . 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

CallieOK

Just added Ghostwriter to my Netflix list, Between additions there and to my e- book borrowing list, I have enough "entertainment" for the rest of the year!

Chia

Barbara Hale has died. She was in her 90's and played the role of Della Street in the TV series of old

JeanneP

Yes, I really enjoyed watching her with Ray Burr in that show.  They still have them on daily here.
I am amazed as to how fast the have put together 2 hour long shows on Mary Tyler Moore.  Showing her life.  I wish that the one Friday would not have shown her in 2015. She looked so sick. You could tell that her eyesight had gone. She had all the women with her from the Mary Tyler show and all were older yet looked so good.  She was a beautiful women would have like to have remembered here that way.  Why does Television want to show the bad parts.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Notice that Mike Conners died yesterday also.  It seems like all the ones we watch are just going so fast now.  hard for us to believe as they still show so many of their shows almost daily on about 3 of our TV Cable sights.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Chia - Thanks for posting about the death of Barbara Hale.  I remember her from Perry Mason, but also from the movies that she made during the 1940's. I often see her on TCM, in movies from that era.  She was also in lots of other TV shows during the 50's and 60's. 

Marilyne

Yet another important movie star has died! John Hurt, who was still very active in both British and American films.  He was 77 years.  Hurt was best known for starring in The Elephant Man, Alien, and most recently, in the Harry Potter films.  He was also in lots of TV series, one being Dr. Who.

Tomereader1

I have noticed that a lot of "older" movie, and especially ones from UK don't "always" have CC.  Marilyne, you mentioned at one point that you were thinking on getting a new TV.  Well, if you are, don't go into a BestBuy store, because it will knock your socks right off.  The displays of the TV's (3D, OLED, 4K, curved screen, etc.) will make you want to buy one right there!  I stopped in yesterday to ask some questions of their "Geek Squad" personnel, about hooking up my DVD player.  Just walking thru I wanted to shell out the big bucks for a set that would take up my entire living room wall.  Hah, hah.  Wouldn't do that, but oh, my, the beauty of the picture on those things!!!

Marilyne

Tome - As a matter of fact, I've been planning a trip to Best Buy!  It's the only place (that I know of) where you can still buy a clock radio, and I need one!  My bedside radio has stopped working, and I really miss the ability to listen to music or talk - especially when I can't sleep at night. 

I'll try to convince AJ to come along with me, and then we can visit the TV section and take a look at those gorgeous new sets.  As you know, I've been complaining about the color quality on Netflix and Amazon for some time now, and I think it's time to upgrade!! :thumbup:

Tomereader1

There was a puff-piece on our evening news about what you don't want to get if you're buying a new TV. 
3-D is now passe,  curved screen sets didn't sell as expected, and so will probably be discontinued near future;
HDR is something that may be around awhile, 4K limits what you are able to play on the TV (via discs), so it may be on the wane also. 

Sandy

What I remember about Dr. Zhivago,  was that it was a long, long,  movie....  and love story... that was just thrilling at the time.   

IMHO, Dr. Zhivago  is the type of movie that needs the Big Screen for me to really appreciate it.       And some really creative editing could make the movie much more enjoyable today,  by cutting it down to 2 and a half hours vs the old 4 hour flick that seemed to go on and on for ever.   

I loved Omar Sharif, Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin, 
and remember how I felt watching this movie  when I was
a very recently married young women of 22 years old.   

Back when "being in love" consumed my whole spirit. 
And I felt that all when watching Dr. Zhivago  on the Big Screen.

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Sandy - I agree, that Doctor Z, is best viewed on a full screen in a theater, which is where I first saw it back in 1965 or 66. The good part about watching it at home on my HD set, is that I can have closed captioning, which I need!  Also, the screens on most TV's are large enough now, to get the full effect of any movie. 

As for the 3 hour and 20 minute length, I don't see how they could edit anything out, and have it be as great as it still is??  The story covers the time period between World War I and the end of the Bolshevik Revolution. It would be like editing out a large segment of, Gone With the Wind, so it wouldn't be as long.  Both GWTW and Dr. Z, were adapted from books, that cover a span of many years. I would hate to see anything cut out of either one.

I saw a review online that I agree with, as to why it's an important movie. Here is an excerpt.

"Doctor Zhivago, is a film whose like we will not see again. This was one of the last gasps of true epic film making, a story of human beings set against a vast historical panorama, made without any computer-generated images and featuring only people to keep your interest, with not a space alien or hobbit in sight. Who can believe now that there was a time when that was sufficient?"

Marilyne

Today is the yearly event, that everyone looks forward to (except me), The Super Bowl! Someone on one of the other discussions called it "The Stupid Bowl". ha ha ;D   I like to complain about it, but actually, anything that brings that much pleasure to so many millions of people, has to be good! Right? :-\

Anyway, I'll watch The Puppy Bowl, per usual, or anything else I can find on my bedroom TV.  Not a big selection, as that set doesn't get the good movie channels,  or Netflix/Amazon.  I just hope the game is over by the time Homeland comes on. 

CallieOK

It amazes me how all the networks are conceding to the Super Bowl by airing reruns or movies tonight.
Fortunately,  our PBS station will have the 3rd episode of "Victoria" followed by the 3rd episode of  a "docu-drama" about Henry VIII and his wives.  (Might be the 4th, since I see it's about the last three of them.)
I'm into season 4 of "Monarch of the Glen" on Netflix so that's a possibility, too.

Marilyne

Callie - As soon as I saw your message, I turned on the TV to take a look at my channel guide.  Sure enough, Homeland, is NOT on tonight, except for repeat broadcasts! You are correct . . . all channels are catering to the Super Bowl! :tickedoff:  I haven't been following Victoria, but I do like Mercy Street, so I'll check and see if it's playing on PBS tonight . . . and there's always HGTV or TCM!

Did you happen to watch Switched at Birth, this past week?  Very disappointing I thought. This is the final season, so I was hoping it would be good, but now I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch. 

CallieOK

Marilyne,  NO - I did not notice that Switched At Birth was on last week!   :'(
What night and what channel, please?   I remember how the last series ended.   Did the first episode explain why the girls suddenly left.......wherever they were?
Oh, I am disappointed to have missed the first one.

Mercy Street is on my PBS station tonight - just before Victoria.

Marilyne

Callie - I was reminded by my daughter, that Switched at Birth, was returning this past Tuesday night.  I didn't watch it then, but I did watch it On Demand, yesterday afternoon.

The final show last season ended with an emergency phone call, that Bay and Daphne needed to return home immediately?  They were in China . . . I don't remember why they went?  Anyway, after a few ridiculous, unrelated side stories, they returned home.

I think that possibly the original screenwriters must have left long ago, and a bunch of new ones are trying to patch together a plausible finish to the show?  It has to get better, because it can't get any worse!

You can see it On Demand, or on your computer.  Do you have Netflix or Amazon??  My daughter thinks that this entire season is available on one of those, but I haven't looked??  Oh another thing . . . the cable channel that it's playing on, used to be called ABC Family, but is now called Freeform.

CallieOK

Marilyne, Thanks for more information.

Seasons 1-4 are the only ones I currently have on Netflix.  I don't have Amazon.

Freeform is listed in my newspaper tv guide but I didn't realize it had been ABC family so probably skimmed right over the listings last week.  I have set my DVR to record this Tuesday's episode.
Probably won't take long for me to catch up.  Ha!

SCFSue

I just turned off my TV following a very favorite movie on TCM, "Casablanca" with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.  Very satisfying and more important, IMHO, than the Super Bowl!

Now I'm heading off to bed with a good book.
SCF Sue

Marilyne

Sue - Yes, there is always something worthwhile on TCM.  If a good movie comes on at a time that I can't watch, I click the little red dot on my remote, and record it to watch at another time.  Needless to say, I have lots of movies recorded that I haven't had a chance to see yet. ::) Casablanca, is one of about a dozen of my favorites, that I never tire of watching.

Callie - check your channel guide, and see if a repeat of last week's Switched, will be shown before the current show?  They used to do that, in case you had missed the previous week.

junee

Marilyne.  Casablanca is also one of my longtime favourites and fortunate to have the DVD .
Lost count of how many times I have seen it.  All the actors are so great.
Now, I have found that movie ..Oceans.... "On Demand" and a price. Not sure what that means but willing to,pay the price if I can view it at my choice of time?

At present am chasing Dr Zhivago as aboutbtime I viewed that one again.

Marilyne

junee - Be sure to put on your closed captions, if you watch Doctor Zhivago.  With all those Russian names, and all the different accents, it's almost impossible to understand the dialogue.  You really need cc, to get the full enjoyment out of that movie!

I would also need it for, The Light Between Oceans, because I find it hard to understand the Australian accent, but I'm sure it won't be a problem for you. :)  I also have a hard time hearing plain old American English, in certain movies, so I just automatically turn on the cc for any movie. 

Radioman34

Mention of Light Between Oceans just caught my eye as I was scrolling past. I just finished reading the book yesterday and found it to be a very moving and satisfactory novel.

CallieOK

After just one episode of the new season, I do believe I have "aged out" of watching "Switched At Birth"!!   Not a single one of the story lines interested me.
Oh, well.

Marilyne

Callie - I agree!  It seems that the writers are very much into making social/political statements, the past couple of seasons.  (Remember the incident between Bay and Tank?) If you didn't watch the first episode this season, you might not realize what Daphne's boyfriend did to "offend" people.  Anyway, I'm getting tired of the PC element in so many of the network or cable shows.

I will continue to watch, because as I mentioned a few years ago, my daughter opened an SAB group on Facebook.  The majority of people who post comments are actually deaf, so it's interesting to read what they have to say about the storyline of the show and the characters. 

Last night they didn't feature Emmett, as they did the first show, where he was diagnosed with clinical depression.  That could develop into something interesting . . . or not?  :-\