Random Image

horse7.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Shirleyn, I am so sorry you've had a bad 10 days.  I've heard that there are sometimes bad reactions to chemo and radiation.  And I'm glad you feel better today.  I hope you feel better each day.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is a really chilly morning but it is suppose to get into the upper 50's this afternoon and there is a 40% chance of rain later today.  I did not go to the Wednesday night dinner at the Church last night as just didn't feel like getting out.  Scott came out and took his mother to dinner and brought me home a meal.  He came back out this morning and has taken his mother to Costco to get a few things.  I slept in this morning and am not moving very quickly.  I didn't feel up to going to coffee this morning either.

I am not going to try to comment to everyone today as just don't feel up to it.  However I am reading all of the postings. 

MarsGal, of the names you mention for the Space Ambient music, Vangelis is the only one I recognize and I have two or three of his early CDs.

Our minister went to Mayo's yesterday and hit another snag.  They showed that his insurance had turned down the surgery.  He had to call back here to have a member of our Church get into his home and find the piece of paper showing the surgery had been approved.  Just what he and his wife needed was more stress.  Fortunately it appears to be straightened our and the surgery is taking place today.  He expects to be home on Saturday.

donklan

Once I became interested in the music of Vangelis, I discovered several compilations in which he teamed up with Jon Anderson.
One titled "Jon and Vangelis".    Sample link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oANV6SQhwI

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

Marilyne

Shirleyn - Good to hear from you, but sorry that you've had a bad 10 days. Just one more chemo treatment left, and then you will begin to recover. Please check in and keep us posted on how you're doing.  I'm also  sending you a message on Facebook.

MarsGal and Don - I remember Vangelis from "Chariots of Fire", when he won the Academy Award for music. I'm not familiar with his recent compositions, but plan to catch up.  Don, I'll listen to your YouTube link, as soon as I finish this message.

Larry - I'm really sorry to hear that you were feeling too tired to go out to dinner last night, and that this morning isn't much better.  I hope you will start to get your strength back today, and resume your usual routine.  Please check in with us later today. 

Lots of rain and wind here overnight. We lost power off and on, but it's back again, I hope for good.  Our yard is a mess from the wind, but the Redwood tree is still standing! (big sigh of relief!) If it weren't still staying, I likely wouldn't be here to talk about it!

FlaJean

Donklan, I listened to that link.  I loved that music in "chariots of Fire".  Enjoyed your link.  It is nice to be able to hear the words as so often the background music is too loud and you can't hear the vocalist.

angelface555

This falls squarely under "What were they thinking!?!"

Chinese scientists panted cotton seedlings on the dark side of the Moon.

https://www.livescience.com/64521-sad-moon-cotton-dies.html?utm_source=ls-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190117-ls

Joy

Good morning.  We did have some snow overnight, but not too bad this morning.  The bigger storm is heading our way for the week end.  However, we just might only get a lot of rain.

I missed getting in here yesterday. Just got busy and before I knew it, the day had flown by.

I had written a long message and now just lost it. So, I am not going to try to remember it all.

Patricia, I guess I did mention that I was looking for a cookbook for the mini IP.  So, thank you for sharing that  link.  I don't think I had seen that one yet, although I do have a couple saved on my Amazon wish list.  I always like to read the reviews from other uses, and this one didn't get a lot of good reviews.  Someone told me that would probably do just as well checking out recipes on the many IP websites. I need to finish up a couple other things, so I can devote all my time to concentrate on what I am trying to do.  LOL  It just seems to be so many things to think about. I will eventually get around to it.

Larry, I do hope that you will have a better day today.

And, ShirleyN,  I hope you will soon be feeling great again. Just hang on !  Things WILL get better.  It sounds like you have done very well with your treatments, so far. Just hearing the initial news, I know, can be very upsetting. But, soon it will all be behind you.  Take care !!!

I need to get on with the day.  Have a good one !

Joy
BIG BOX

Sandy

Good Morning from the very cold,  soon to
be snowy,  rocky coast of Maine. 

Just sitting here waiting for
Spectrum to come and install my
landline.   

I hate to wait!
 :tissue:

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

SCFSue

Me, too, Sandy.  So I hope Spectrum shows up soon!

Sue

Marilyne

Larry hasn't posted anything this morning?  I surely do hope that he is okay, and feeling better than yesterday?

Don - I watched your Vangelis link, and enjoy the visual photos that were shown.  Very well put together.

Patricia- I'm still surprised that there was so little in the media, about the Chinese Moon landing.  I guess planting the seedlings was just an experiment to see if there was any possibility that something would take root, regardless of sun or water?

Mary Ann - I hope you do something interesting this weekend?  The r restaurants here are always packed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, so we usually stay home.  These long holiday weekends, can really drag. 
I'm already missing the ships! :(   I keep looking at the schedule, in hopes that one or two will arrive at Duluth for the duration, but so far,I haven't seen any. It's very quiet at the canal and bridge, as well as The Soo.

Mary Ann

I realize, too, that Larry hasn't posted - here or in Soda Shoppe.  He hadn't been feeling well the last day or two.

Tom and I just came back from eating out.  I like to eat at Russ' occasionally because I can get a hot fish sandwich, not lukewarm as some places serve.  I have no idea what kind of fish are used, maybe a mix.  But it tastes good anyway.  And it isn't terribly expensive. 

A year or so ago, a favorite place burned down because someone used a blow torch too close to a gas main.  It was an historic place.  I told Tom we'd have to go there some day and he said we might go tomorrow.  He thinks his friend, Mary, and her son would enjoy it and if they go, I go.  It is the Corner Bar where their specialty has always been chili dogs.  They have other things too, but they are famous for the chili dogs.

Marilyn, I saw where you might get winds of 75 mph so hold onto your hat!  I don't know that we've had winds that strong, but I don't keep records.

I did read about the China moon landing, read it on the News I read on the computer MSN.

If Dot and I go to church Sunday, we will make our weekly visit to the Cholesterol Pit.  The reason I say "if" is that our low on Sunday will be -2 and that will be in the early morning.  She takes good care of her car so I assume it will run OK but will she want to get out in the cold, cold morning. 

I look in at the Soo daily (so far) and there is work going on.  There are more things mechanical at the Soo than at Duluth.  There are some ships listed at Duluth and maybe Superior. 

The sun is shining here and our temperature is 29 degrees.  I have got to put my hood on my coat so to have something on my head.  The hood is easier on my hair than the cap but I need the hood for warmth and protection.

Mary Ann

Joy

MaryAnn, I sure hope that the Historic Restaurant that burned down has been rebuilt ??  If not, you might be in for a big surprise.  Nothing to eat !!!! LOL

Just couldn't resist making a comment.  Sorry !!!!   ;D

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/08/rebuilt_corner_bar_opening_tod.html

Yes, Joy, the Corner Bar has been rebuilt and has been open since August 2018.  It was a landmark and firefighters were able to save much of the facade.  Their specialty was and is the hot dog and/or chili dog.  They do serve other foods but I always get a couple of chili dogs as that is the maximum I can eat, usually along with root beer.  The Corner Bar is in Rockford and that is about five miles north of us. 

My mouse died and I was lucky to have a new one to replace it. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior at minus fourteen. We were told to expect colder and then return to plus temperatures early next week. Farrah is laying on the shelf watching a group of young male ravens ride the thermals.

You know its males as mated pairs establish and defend territories, and young unmated males hang in groups. I don't know about young, unattached female ravens altho I'm sure they stay away from the males.

I hope Larry is merely resting and not posting due to that.

I have been busy with the resumption of classes and a few trips to the mall. I sometimes will take requests and purchase books, magazines and small toiletries for some of the male shut-ins if they can't or do not want to go online. It is interesting to see the faces of the clerks when I empty my basket of all male type magazines and supplies in often bulk, two or three of the same magazines for example.

Joy, I saw that at Amazon and thought of you. My instapot is a five quart as I use it mainly in meal prep so I didn't look at more than the size. Surprisingly, my most used appliance is my large wok for day to day use.

MaryAnn, Marilyne, the Chinese idea of planting cotton seedlings and leaving tiny live animals doesn't show a lot of forethought in my opinion in a place that regularly hosts minus 295 degrees, and there is no sun on the dark side of the moon. And that's not even getting into the idea of pollution and introducing something from one planet to another with all accompanying bacteria,  viruses, and pollutants.

MaryAnn, there are always newspaper accounts locally of folks starting fires by using blowtorches with a car or a house trailer's frozen pipes. Common sense isn't often common.

Lindancer

Good evening
Donklan and FlaJean I also enjoy Chariots of Fire, it is very stirring

Mary Ann you make me hungry reading about all your places to eat. One neighbor bought me over good chicken soup and another bought a shrimp ring

Patricia you can keep your temp., I am worried just 15 above which we could have this weekend

Jenny, at first I thought Lloyd was back home

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Joy

I just checked back to see if there was any news from Larry.  And, I also checked the Soda Shoppe also.  Sure hope he is just resting and will check in tomorrow.  I can relate to how everyone  gets worried when one of the regulars is missing.  I can tell you how much all of your concerns meant to me  when I was in the hospital back in the fall. We truly are a special "family".

Have a good evening and stay warm, if you are in for the cold blast this coming week end.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

"A fire ripped through the bar on the morning of Aug. 17, 2017, destroying all but the front, brick facade. It started out as a dumpster fire, spotted by a pedestrian, about 5:30 a.m. The dumpster fire was quickly extinguished but the heat and pressure apparently triggered a gas line explosion about an hour later."  (From the story about the Corner Bar)

Patricia, it wasn't a blow torch, but a dumpster fire that was put out, but in the meantime heated the gas line. Whatever I wrote before was wrong.

We switched phone companies and thenew company hasn't hooked up my phone yet so I am out of business at present.  I have my TracFone and I had trouble with that, trying to call Dot to let her know. It's been working fine, so I think the problem was with me.  I was happy with AT&T but the Internet speed was bad, so I let Tom make the change.  A weekend is when things go wrong and I'll let Tom take care of things.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

What a difference! The National Weather Service is calling for 8-12 inches of snow this weekend, while Accuweather is calling for 5-6 inches with it being topped with a layer of ice/freezing rain. My tablet apps use the NWS forecasts, while my sister listens to Accuweather. When we compare weather forecasts, Accuweather seems to be more accurate. I hope that is the case this time. It took me four days to get shoveled out the last time we had a big snow dump. Once again, I tried to find someone who will do my walk and behind my car for me, but everyone uses voice mail now and no one ever calls back. The township used to sponsor a program where we could call to request a volunteer who signed up with the them to come shovel, but they discontinued that several years ago.

Patricia, it doesn't surprise me that the plant experiment died. What does surprise me is the experimenters apparently didn't anticipate and plan for the extreme cold. But then, maybe the report I saw just didn't include that info.

Larry, I hope you are doing well and will check in today, even if briefly.

Joy

Good morning, MarsGal and all the other friends who follow.

I was up about 5, and couldn't get back to sleep.  Have had breakfast and just listening to the news and weather for today.  Might be a little bad this afternoon and into the evening, but tomorrow, we might luck out and get rain. Even a lot of rain is better than snow. But, we shall have to wait and see what develops.

My son is coming this morning to take out a bunch of recycleables to the bin out back. I have a couple other chores for him to do, and then, hopefully, I will be able to get to do some laundry later this afternoon. Will be a good day to just stay in and do the laundry.

I sure do hope that Larry will post something today to let us know that he is doing ok.  His message is very much missed. We do worry about our missing friends.

I will check back later. Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We are to have a cloudy but very warm day getting up to 70 degrees this afternoon.  I am sorry I wasn't up to posting yesterday.  I decided yesterday morning it was time to go to our prompt care to see if my sodium had gotten too low and try to get something to deal with this sinus and headache.  The nurse practitioner, which is what you see at the prompt care facilities came in and told me I needed to go to the ER as they didn't have the facilities to do the lab work needed there.  I came home and Pat took me to the ER where I spent about 4 hours.  The test ruled out low sodium as the cause for my exhaustion, the chest x-ray was OK.  He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic for the sinus.  He asked me if I wanted him to admit me to the hospital and I said no.  I will contact my cardiologist next week and try to get in to see him before the appointment I have set up for mid-February.  I will read all the postings here so I can keep up with what is going on but just don't feel up to making comments today as just don't have the energy.

so_P_bubble

Good you posted, Larry. We were worried. Good that you are checking out why you get so tired.
 Please take care and rest as much as necessary. 

This cold winter is really hard on old bones.
Israel is having an unusually severe one this year.  I long for summer already.

Mary Ann

It's good to hear from you, Larry, even if you still are not feeling up to par.  No news is this case is not good news. 

It is snowing here and did so overnight.  I don't know what accumulation is expected, maybe 5 or 6 inches.  It will be cold tonight and extend to tomorrow morning - in the minus category.

Today we may go to the Corner Bar in Rockford - or we may not!  Mary has to drive up here from Holland and she may not want to do that what with the weather.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Larry, so good to hear from you this morning, and know that you are okay. Going to the ER is something we all hope to avoid, but sometimes it's necessary.  I'm sure that your cardiologist will have some answers/help for you when you see him next week. 

Mary Ann - Sounds like it will be an unpleasant drive from Holland, for Mary, if she decides to make it.  I assume she's probably in her 50's, which sounds so young to me now. At that age, you are much more willing to brave the elements, to get where you want to go.  I guess in those massive snow storms, the Highway Patrol will often close the major roads and interstates?  If she decides not to come, I hope you and Tom will go out somewhere for your main meal?         

CallieOK

Sounds as if the weather system that zipped through here yesterday is steadily moving across the country.

Daytime temperature was 58*.   Last night, we had thunder, rain and hail.  In the middle of the night (according to the t.v. 'cause I sure didn't see it  :sleep: ), there was snow blowing sideways.  This morning, I can't tell there was any snow here but the temperatures are in the 20's, wind is gusting to 40-50 mph and the wind chill is in single digits.

I was planning to go to one of the local country clubs for the Sesquicentennial celebration of an organization I belong to (P.E.O.)  - until I remembered my history of getting bronchitis if I'm out in the wind - particularly if it's cold or wet.
So I'm staying home and pretending my "Lean Cuisine" is "Luncheon Cuisine".

Larry, glad to see your post telling about your situation.  Surely do hope the antibiotic "does the trick" on your sinus infection and you can get in to see the cardiologist soon.

There were seven red cardinals in the trees, on the fence and around the feeder this morning. At least some of their mates were there, also - along with some sparrows and chickadees.  Glad I filled both the sunflower seed and safflower seed feeders yesterday. Didn't put out any suet because of the *&!# squirrels but probably should have because it's "fuel food" for the birds.

Stay warm and safe, everyone.

Mary Ann

We, as a group, are not going to the Corner Bar and I don't know who made the decision.  That  doesn't mean Tom and I could not go, but I think we won't.  We ate out yesterday anyway and he and I can go there anytime.  The weather doesn't bother Tom and we are not having a blizzard.  I remember driving 15 miles to work on the X-way many times over 13 years.  Of course, the counties keep the X-ways and Interstates in good shape. 

Callie, I wish I could attract the birds you do; I never have.  The best I had was when I took two foil pie plates and nailed them to my former deck and put birdseed in the top one. In the evening I had cardinal families.  I also had raccoons - babies.  There was a tree next to my deck and the wild animals would visit by way of the tree.  The tree is no longer there and I have a new deck and I'm not going to nail anything to the floor!

Mary Ann

Joy

Good to see you back, Larry.  HOpe today will be a better day for you and the antibiotic will help.  Just take it easy and hopefully,  you can get in to see the cardiologist this week. 

Just so good to hear from you today.

Joy
BIG BOX

MarsGal

Our governor has gotten ahead of the game. When I awoke this morning the local news said he has already declared a state of emergency and banning buses and trucks from the interstate highways (except for I-276 and I-95 in the southeast corner of the state),the PA Turnpike, and Route 33 and part of Route 22 in the Lehigh Valley area. Snow was expected to start here around 1pm. I haven't seen a single flake yet.

I found someone who may be able to help if I can't handle the coming mess. I plan on shoveling some of this evening's snow off before it all turns to rain, which the weather forecast says will be around 9pm this evening. I don't plan on putting out de-icer this evening unless it is freezing rather than running off, but I expect to be out in the morning with the stuff. I don't have a lot but it should be enough for one go-round.

Larry, glad you dropped in briefly to give us an update. Take care.

JeanneP

Well Illinois is making up for the last five winters that have been pretty mild.  What a mess we have again. Did not have time for them to clear the roads for last weekend . Outside it is now so windy after sending down about 6 inches of snow. this time mixed with rain making the ground like a ice rink. I had to hold on when going down my porch to get the paper this morning.
I tried my car yesterday and nothing. Did not even try to start. New battery was put in 2 weeks ago. So cold and so I just cursed it and came in the house with no intention of moving out until Monday.
I had called a computer place last week to come and take care of the new computer that is still sittin on table. Had to cancel as snow so bad. Now supposed to come next Tuesday.  I just wish I had not started to mess with it. Should just stay with the W7 until Spring. Nothing seems to be working right anymore. Phones driving me crazy. Car need changing as put enough money in this one I have now.
Car salesmen at Honda calling all the time. Now sending little notes. Just not in the mood as I don't have a garage and hate seeing one out in this weather. I just think this year winter is getting to me.  I should start thinking on spending them in better place. Thing is then would worry if all O.K on place in Illinois. Seems like things bad everywhere these day. Floods, Fires Tornadoes. Thing Mother nature getting even with us for messing up her world.

My mother always use to say that when she saw all the Interstates being put in. Both here and in UK.  Ruining the Bloody Country she would say and she was right.

Jane. You are not having such a good time in Texas this year are you. But as long as you are both getting things taken care of down there. At least the Dr. seem to be taking care. Bad enough with the ones we have in our own towns anymore. But just get well. Can maybe take a extra little holiday this coming summer just to make up for it.
I promised I would do some tiding up today but not in the mood. Will just get back to my book. Been doing a lot of cooking and eating to much. I bet the 5 lbs I took off last month is back on as not walking my 2'3 miles a day right now.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Jeanne, yes, I would say Winter is getting to you.  You know, a lot of people go South and do not worry about their permanent homes.  I don't know about your house or neighborhood, but I would suggest you go down to visit your Texas relatives for a couple of weeks.  If you have a neighbor you can trust, give that neighbor a key and ask him/her to check on things once a week.  Norm and Dot were in Florida from late September until early May and I'd check on their house once a week.  It would do you good to get out of the bad weather.  If you plan to stay in your house for any length of time, you should have a garage built. 

I know it is easy for me to make suggestions from so far away, but I think a change of location would do you a world of good.  Think about it!  Good luck.

Mary Ann