Random Image

shoulder strap child's purse

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:26:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi everyone. The weather says it will reach 90 degrees again today and that there is a high probability of rain here late this afternoon, which we can use. Yesterday was sort of a lost day for me as spent most of it laying in bed. About any movement, and sometimes no movement at all, was bringing on these new discomforts in the middle of my chest. I was really tired. In mid-afternoon the girls came out and spent a couple of hours with us. When they came in they handed me a nice box of Dairy Queen Dilly Bars and, of course, we had to check them out at supper time. 

Then around pm I had the call from my three Church friends from my previous Church and we got connected on Face Time and it was most enjoyable. However, I talked so much that I was sort unhappy with myself and wrote them an email to apologize for monopolizing the conversation. I find I am doing that frequently now and am wondering if some of the medication I now take could be contributing to this situation.

I sure hope I haven't always talked this much. 

Scott sent a text late last evening after his work that he planned on coming out today. IT will be nice to see him and not sure what he has in mind other than to test out the Bluetooth receiver/transmitter that he got me for Father's Day. He is bringing his blue tooth headphones so we can try it out. If it works well I have already picked out a new set of noise canceling headphones to get.

The aid will be here from Hospice to help me with a shower this morning. As far as I know now the rest of the day will be one of rest. My plan is to begin to clean out a lot of old files I have saved on the computer. I am going to create a sectionalized notebook of the information Pat and Scott might need when I am no longer in the picture and it will have several sections of things that have been important to me such as a few poem written my my Grandmother. It should be both a useful project and a pleasant one in gathering this info from the computer and getting things on paper. 

Mary Ann, it sounds like you had a bit of a night a couple of nights ago that I experienced last evening. After going to bed for the night I would sleep for about an hour and then get up for an hour as felt rested. It is now 5 am and I think I am up for the day and ready to start on the projects I mentioned above. Pat and I are at the point of not wanting to get anymore furniture although she is making noises about getting a bookcase to help hide some cords. Unfortunately the bookcase would need to be finished inside and on the back and I haven't located any like that. It sounds like a wise move to leave things as they are with the laundry. How fortunate you are to get to see those twins as they take on personalities and grow. I really didn't watch the golf last weekend as when I tuned it it seemed to be a mess and I wasn't interested in trying to straighten it out in my mind. I did see there was another first time winner on tour. That is good for the game.

Marilyne, we love to have family and friends come to visit but there is a sort of let down feeling when they leave and our lives can get back to where we were. I expect you have a lot of expensive restaurants since you are in a very high pay area of the State. I am sure Brad had a lot of satisfaction in being able to pick up the bill, I can remember only two or three times where Scott and his wife entertained us with a home cooked meal or took us out to eat and they paid the bill. I prefer my fish not to taste like fish and no bones. Guess that is why I enjoy Tilapia or Salmon or tuna and a few other mild fish. Paying $29 dollars for a pound of fish is way out of my comfort zone. WOW! I was also shocked at the cost of sending the ramps back but I knew upfront those costs would be my responsibility. One of the ramps weighed 40 pounds and I don't remember what the smaller one weighed but it was heavy.

Sandy, yes I am getting things pretty much the way I have planned them and the plan is working out well. We did get the carpet runner material yesterday and the grab bars and new shower head are also here. The new alarm system is here and tomorrow the electronic deadbolt lock will be delivered. I told Pat yesterday I must get busy and buy some more things as the UPS guy may forget where we live. However, there have been so many deliveries that is doubtful. Fortunately there is plenty of space in this house to move around in the wheelchair although I still am learning how to drive it and trying to avoid hitting the walls and door jambs. I keep the walker at hand to steady me the 6 or 8 steps into my bathroom off the little alcove and also make good use of the four footed cane. We are sure blessed to have children who are willing to help us out now that we have special medical needs.

Patricia, Hallelujah is one of my favorite pieces and I think it was the Ten Tenors show we went to several years ago when we spent a couple of nights in Branson, Missouri. They really put on a great show.

Jackie, I agree with you on liking to see performers nicely dressed. Would you be interested in my trying to help you get Skype Video calling set up on your computer and then we could visit face to face as could others with you. The program is free and they keep making changes to it so will need to go back and check it out but have it running on my iPhone and it works will between two computers. You do not use a regular phone and both parties have to have Skype running. It is a simple download of software, doing a quick register and then just trying it out. It is nice to talk with someone face to face like sitting across from them at a meeting or place to eat.

FlaJean

I wrote a post yesterday and then we got a call from our son and turned off the iPad and lost it.  It is overcast and rainy here and around 82 degrees and going to be cooler all day——at least according to the weather channel.

Today is my six months eye checkup.  Nothing much else is going on.  Since we run the AC all the time in the summer I have been having trouble at night sleeping as I get very dry and stuffy.  I ordered a humidifier with an Amazon gift card for the bedroom to use at night as my husband also has the same problem.  We will give it a try and I hope it helps.

We had another cable outage for several hours yesterday for the second time in a month or so, but it didn't affect the Internet.  This is just a small town, but it is growing.  A nice housing area going in just a few miles from us.  I hope it doesn't grow too much as it is nice living in a small town.  The schools here are very good, I understand, so a lot of young families live in the area for that reason.

It was nice to see the young golfer Gary Woodland win at Pebble Beach.  It was his first major win and he played some good golf.  I use to watch golf all the time but sort of lost interest for awhile.  I think with all that bad publicity about Tiger was a disappointment and I just lost interest.

Jackie, I sure hope you are able to move back to your hometown if that is what will be best.  You have to do what is best for you and be in an area that has the services that you need to cope with your MS.  That is probably an important consideration in whatever you decide.

I will probably post and then get the error and find someone is posting at the same time.  I'll come back and say hello, if that happens.😁

Joy

Good morning. Another pretty sunny morning.  They are still calling for scattered showers for the rest of the week.   Yesterday, even tho some areas had rain, we had sun all day. 

I did sleep better last night, but still don't have a lot of energy.  I know I need to move around more and I know that will help,  But, it is so difficult to make myself do the things that I know I should.  DOn't mean to complain, as I know there are ones who are worst off than I am.  So, I will get down off my "soap box".

Larry, I am always so glad to see your newsy messages. I should be taking lessons from you in learning how to "cope" better.

Marilyne,  Yes, Addy's name is  Adelyn.  Just spelled a little differently. She is such a sweet little girl.  Her full name is Adelyn Grace, and if you ask her what her name is, she will repeat her full name.  I think it is a pretty name.
It is just so hard to believe she is 7 already.  Where did all that time go.

Jean, nice to see you here this morning.  I am wondering if you say the video of the golfer you mentioned had made friends with a young lady with Down's syndrome who motivated him in his winning game.  They were both on the Today show this morning.  THey have become good friends, since they met a few months ago at a golf tournament. She kept saying "I got this" before hitting the ball and she told him. So, that is what he attributed his winning shot to.  He just told himself "I got this".  It was such a nice story to hear how their friendship has evolved from playing golf.

Jackie, I do hope that you will be able to make some good choices in the near future.  And, hope you are keeping in touch with the people from the Bereavement Center. 

Need to get on with my day.  Hope it is a good one for all of you.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

At 10:30 am, I can see no sun, but our temp is 70 degrees, I think to go to 75 degrees.  I can handle that.  I'm up for the second time and I have not woke up yet.  I should not get up early and go back to bed, but I love to do it - because I can!

Jean, I have seen Gary Woodland play many times but I did not realize this was his first major win for the PGA.  I'm glad for Tiger that he is feeling better, but I don't want him to monopolize golf as he did before.  I like it when a new golfer wins for the first time.

Larry, when your body tells you to lie in bed, that is exactly where you should be.  You can communicate with your family from there as well as any other place. 

I didn't know that halibut was so expensive and I can see why it is not on the menu of restaurants I go to.  Evidently those years ago when I ate it, it was not expensive.  I get frozen fish dinners for home occasionally but they are nothing like what I get in a restaurant.  My dad would fish for panfish when I was small and I never wanted any because of the bones.  I don't remember when I found out restaurant fish had their bones removed!

Larry, my grandmother wrote a few poems too and I have one or two in her handwriting.  My grandmother wrote her "life story" and I typed it up later so her descendants would have a copy of it.  She was 85 at the time, living here, and her mind was slightly confused as to some events, but it was good to read about her young life.  She had a great sense of humor, dry but understanding.  My dad started his story too but lost interest and died before he finished it.  I've written mine too, but it is too much "matter of fact" and much too long.  Tom has done some interesting things and I'm trying to coax him to write things down.  His kids would love it.  The computer makes it so easy to do now.

Patricia, it was nice to hear the Ten Tenors singing Hallelujah.  I used to have the version by the young Irish girl bookmarked, but as I added things to my bookmark list, her version was lost. 

Marilyn, Belvadere, the pit bull, was a perfect lady while we were there.  She really is their pet and I looked at one time and she was lying on the back corner of the sectional.  While we would not leave her alone with the girls, they were very good with her and vice versa and there was no worry.  She loves to be petted.  While I was sitting on the couch, all of a sudden I felt something on my shoulder and there was Belvadere looking up at me, almost face to face. 

I think I've taken up enough space so I'll be back later!

Mary Ann

MarsGal

I remember Halibut and Turbot both used to be common in grocery stores, with Halibut being the more expensive of the the two. It seems Halibut have a slow life cycle so the the season is very limited. I did not care for Cod, which was quite plentiful at the time.

Interesting little bit of information I came across when Googling Halibut and Turbot. They are bot flatfish, but not in the same family as far as I can tell. A Halibut's eyes are on the left side, while a Turbot's eyes are on the right side. Apparently there was a big row over naming these fist back in the 70's when some fisheries were calling their Turbot, Halibut. They look so much alike

angelface555

"Video of Irish schoolgirl singing 'Hallelujah' goes viral
'It was really amazing how many views I got,' says 10-year-old singer Kaylee from Co Down"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/video-of-irish-schoolgirl-singing-hallelujah-goes-viral-1.2915424

angelface555

Halibut is a common fish in South East Alaska's rivers. Many Alaskans make an annual pilgrimage in the fall to load up their freezers.

https://www.pelicanalaskafishing.com/halibut-fishing

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...thank you for the offer but I dont, nor wont do skype...
" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Patricia ,What a beautiful voice the young lady has and I can just imagine that she will go far in singing. Thank you for sharing this.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia.  I see the clip was dated 2016 so it might have been a year old when I saved it.  I just saved it again.  I have preferred her version over others I have heard but maybe that is because it is the first version I heard.

I wonder if halibut has the same reputation in Alaska that the walleye has in Marine City.  I understand the daily limit is six walleye and they have to be a certain length, maybe 13-inches.  I have not had walleye here because we don't go to "fancy" restaurants here, but when in Indps I have often ordered it.  It is more expensive but if I am paying for it, that's my choice. 

I was sorry to read that Gloria Vanderbilt had died.  She was another 95-year old.  I liked the book by Anderson Cooper about the two of them. 

It still is a dreary, but warm, day here.  I have an idea Kendrick and I will find outselves on the deck soon.  His grass is out there, growing fast. 

I don't remember if I told about my neighbor's cat who would eat grass and then throw up.  I decided later than the cat had been eating regular grass that might have been fertilized.  I gave her some of Kendrick's grass seed and I haven't seen my neighbor since to see if she had planted it.  The grass grows so fast, if she did, the cat would have grass to eat by now. 

Mary Ann

Amy

Mary Ann, my friend would plant untreated oats for his cats. They just loved that!!Penny ,would be seen rubbing up and amongst the 4inch oats but all too soon Penny and Peter would have them down to size. He always kept another pot ready and when the first got looking sad he would start to water the second pot.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

angelface555

Cams

Geirangerfjord cruise port, Hellesylt  Finland

Geiranger Live    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBdXzaX0DE

LIVE Port of Miami Government Cut    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9xHceUldk 

Soggy Dollar Bar Live Webcam - Jost Van Dyke, British Virgin Islands   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWVYoBluT4

Covered Bridge Webcam Vermont's Mad River Valley   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf6XmDa4ju0

Above Water Manatee-Cam at Blue Spring State Park powered by EXPLORE.org   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLSrsK8lBw

Waikiki Beach Meditation powered by EXPLORE.org   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Qln30b2nE

Hawaii Humpback Whale Sanctuary at Maui Sands   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0yI_pfg7k

Revelstoke, B.C. Canada - Virtual Railfan LIVE   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6KzfTT3Hko

Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska powered by EXPLORE.org   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWlU7hWEl8c

Mary Ann

Patricia, I especially liked the train video.  People on the Marine City site have mentioned it so I know some of them look at Railfan, but not necessarily Revelstoke.

Amy, I suppose the oats I have in the refrigerator have been processed so would not do for grass for Kendrick.  I think he could stand a bit of variety.  I think he ate a surrounding plant and he urpped a bit.  It was all liquid and I poured some rain water on it and it went away.  He seems none the worse for wear.  I may put a few grains of the oatmeal I have to see if it grows and/or if he likes it.  I am going to look in Amazon for a different catnip and I'll see about a different grass.  The things we do for our four-legged friends!  Thanks for the suggestion.

I sat on the deck this afternoon, even took a catnap out there, but the sun moved to where I was, so I came in.  The sun finally had shown up.

Mary Ann

Amy

Mary Ann, these are oats that the farmer would sew in the fields, not a processed oat. If you have a farm near by they would likely give you a small bag of oats.

https://misssmartyplants.com/how-to-grow-oats-for-cats/

Jimmy Dean

angelface555

"You are watching a live stream of Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada, for people who enjoy watching trains. It is hosted by the Revelstoke Railway Museum: https://www.railwaymuseum.com/

West Cam: https://youtu.be/X6KzfTT3Hko
East Cam: https://youtu.be/9XVrm2ldZJ4

Mary Ann

Patricia, I knew about Revelstoke, but did not know where it is.  A map showed around Revelstoke, but not BC.  (I did locate a map online so I know where it is in relation to Vancouver.)  I've been to BC several times but always in the Vancouver or Victoria areas.  BC is a beautiful province and a huge province.  I am sure Jim's sister has seen some of it, but I wonder how much.  Her husband died a few years ago so I know she won't do much traveling now, especially since she is now 90 years old.

I'm going to bookmark the train sites.  If she doesn't already have them, MarsGal may like the trains.

Mary Ann

donklan

Interesting view from the bridge of the Paul R as it approaches the Blue Water Bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_1GOt7Qyo

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

CallieOK

Patricia,  I thought "Revelstoke" sounded familiar.  Got out my album of the "Railroading Through The Rockies" tour two friends and I took in 2002.  We went by rail from Vancouver to Banff and I have several pages of pictures and printed descriptions of the area around Revelstoke.  We went through the spiral tunnels - where the front of the train exits as the end of the train is entering.
I also made a note that, at a certain point, the engineer threw a bagel out the window and a raven (that waits for the train) swooped down and caught it.
Beautiful country and fantastic trip.

Mary Ann,  going back to your mixing catsup and mayo to put on fish..... My mother added pickle relish; I didn't know Tartar Sauce came in a jar until I was away from home.    I mix mayo and chili sauce (from a bottle) to make mine.

Nothing else to comment on from my corner of the world.
TTYL

Mary Ann

Callie, both of our concoctions add taste to the fish.  If I have some chili sometime, I'll try yours.

Don, that didn't look like the Blue Water Bridge area in that video unless it was a very old video.  The video was interesting, nevertheless. 

Mary Ann

CallieOK

not chili.....chili sauce....comes in a bottle like catsup.  ;)

Mary Ann

Callie, I'll try to remember chili sauce!

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Tuesday evening HELLO to ALL.

Here it is nearly Wednesday already and time for us to leave my Dad and head home😢😢

The week has passed quickly and we have accomplished a lot and being with my Dad has been very rewarding for both of us.  Tomorrow morning is going to be very hard to say goodbye and head for the airport😩. Overall I think Dad is doing quite well and is getting around fine, however he is easily confused about many things.....then he seems OK and then confusion again.  If we talk about things in the past he knows EVERYTHING....just the short term stuff😢😩. So, so sad and worrisome. 

I have read the posts and enjoyed them but I apologize for not commenting on individual posts right now. 

Michele had chemo today and she is in the same condition she normally is on this day.  Bless her heart.  She will not have chemo again until the Monday after the 4th......we hope and pray she may be feeling OK to go to Vail with the family for the 4th of July. 

Pleasant dreams to all and you will hear from me again when I am back home in Colorado 🥰

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

larryhanna

Hi everyone. It is pretty early this morning but I awoke awhile ago from a 6 hour period of uninterrupted sleep and am ready for a good day. According to the weather app it is suppose to get to 89 degrees today with only a 20% chance of participation. Yesterday we did get some rain after sunset but have no idea of how much. The yard people were here and will be back finishing our neighborhood today so know they appreciate the rain holding off. 

Pat had left me a note last night to wake her at 7 am as she has an early doctor's appointment. I didn't put it on my calendar so have no idea with which doctors she will be meeting. Scott is planning on coming out again today as he has agreed to work for someone who has a special occasion planned for today. Then he is actually going to take off 5 days so he can spend time with his aunt and uncle and with us to enjoy their visit. They will be flying in tomorrow but my sister wasn't sure if they would try to get by the house until Friday as my BIL isn't well and may elect to spend today resting at the motel. Pat has arranged for the housekeeper to come back and spiff everything up (as if since last Friday we have need it but she sees things I don't. 

Once again I spend a good many hours laying in bed yesterday and getting some "cat naps" even sitting here at my desk. I did increase the Lasix back to 60 mgs by taking 20 mg more at lunch time. I also forgot to take the morphine at noon so took it with our evening meal. I know I will be getting rest when I feel the need for it. I have most of my breakfast laid out but don't want to eat it at 4 am as makes a long time before lunch. 

We had a very nice dinner last night that consisted of some fruit, something involving flower and eggs and milk and was very good. OK, it was a cherry cobbler with ice cream and it was very good. Pat had some left overs she had planned as the main item in the meals but I very politely declined her kind offer of the leftover before the dessert. I guess this is one of the joy of the freedom I now have with Hospice to eat whatever and whenever I want. My grandfather always ate his dessert first as knew he would eat it even if too full. This way he really enjoyed it and didn't over eat. Of course, his dessert portions were a "little" smaller than what I enjoyed last night. 

We are expecting the girls to come over and have Wednesday night dinner with us. Pat decided she didn't want to dirty up the kitchen so will have them pick up Firehouse Subs for our evening meal. I haven't had one of them for months it seems and that sure sounds good to me although probably a quarter of the sandwich will be plenty along with dessert naturally.

Jean, that is a very nice temperature for Florida and quite a bit cooler than we have here in the interior of South Carolina. Maybe with summer upon us we will see some more seasonal type temps than the blast furnace of the last few weeks of winter. Good idea to have the humidifier going while you are sleeping. I so well remember those little humidifiers we had to use with the babies but know that now they have a lot of equipment available. We had such a problem with the humidity in this house the first couple of years we lived here. A good friend brought over his dehumidifier unit and we ran it and got the humidity out of the house. I returned the loan and got one just like it and ran it for one season. Now we haven't needed to use it the last three years as we got that excess dampness out of the house. The CPAP machines that both Pat and I did use (now only she is using one) does have a water tank built into the unit and it helps. However, Pat still suffers from dry eyes and dry mouth but the water tank sure helps. The cable outage is doing as long as you don't lose the Internet. Probably some construction accidentally hit a cable. However, in the big scheme of things "How Important Is It ? For some reason every time I tuned in the golf tournament last weekend it seemed like a state of confusion on the TV with all the early and late times. I am sure that was not the case only my perception. Remember if you post and someone else has posted while you are going so just scroll back and read the new posting and find your posting box and make any additional comments or hit the "Save button" again. Just this week I decided to actually create my daily posting as an Office Office temp document and as I read the postings from my last visit I can add to the bottom of the Open Office temp document and save it, although I think Open Office automatically backs up what you write very often. I don't know why it only took me 25 years to start doing this as know others follow this same scheme. It sure saves the frustration of writing a long posting and losing it. For some reason I am getting extra coding in my actual online posting and having to go back and remove such code.

Joy, glad you were able to enjoy a day of sun yesterday. Since I am staying in the house all the time and the temperature stays about the same I really don't care whether it is sunny or raining. I see you belong to the "not much energy" club. I sure am becoming very aware of this situation and guess it is why I spend most afternoons in bed resting and am still very tired by 8 pm. Unfortunately the moving around isn't working real well for me now so am having to save my walking to standing in the kitchen where I can hold on to the counters or very short trips with the rollator from my bedroom to the bathroom, which fortunately is only a few steps with plenty of places at doorways to hold onto. I find that 4 footed (claw) cane very handy and helpful. I am using all of the medical equipment I have been provided on a daily basis and so thankful for it since it gives me choices depending on how I am feeling in terms of strength and energy. I don't read your comments as complaining since it is the reality of your situation. I see the same thing with Pat everyday when she plans to do and would like to do more things but then finds it isn't worth the extra pain and discomfort that occurs for her in trying to do too much. Keep that "soap box" handy and ready to go. I think we all have one as it is as it should be since one person has no right nor responsibility to tell another adult what they should or shouldn't do. (Whoops, I think I just got on my "soap box"!) That sure is a pretty name as Adelyn isn't a name I often here. My aid's name is Chontel, a name I had never heard before. She is a very efficient and pleasant person to be around and I certainly appreciate her. That sure is a sweet story about the little girl saying "I got this" and the motivation it was to the golfer. Some very special relationships can develop from such simple things that bring joy into someone's life. I find the CBS Evening News does a good job in ending with an uplifting story that can often bring a little tear to one's eye.

Mary Ann, I feel the same about now getting up in the middle of the night and doing something here at the computer just because I can and it doesn't bother Pat. I can even listen to my music softly and she won't hear it. I also like it that a lot of new players, or at least players without the big tournament wins, are finding success as it increases the interest in the game. I see Jack Nicholas now and what age has done to him but reember what a bright star he and several other players were years ago with the old black and white Sunday afternoon coverage of just a few golf holes. It is unfortunate that we tend to place sports stars, movie stars and other people that are well known on pedestals and then find out, yes they are human just like we all are and often are not good role models. Some times we take ourselves way too seriously and with each of the men I have had the privilege of sponsoring in Al-Anon I tell them upfront that I can have feet of clay just like anyone else so keep me off that pedestal and accept my humanity just as I accept theirs. I agree with you that often now my body says go over there and lay down or take your dinner in your room rather than going out into the living room, even though I want to be with Pat and fortunately she is willing to tolerate this room being a little too warm for her and come in an we eat together. Last evening I forced myself to go out to my easy chair so we could have dinner out there. However, I was really too tired and was glad to get back to bed after Jeopardy was over at 8 pm. We often had catfish for a meal on the farm and while I liked the taste of the fish I hated all those little bones. Then mother would get some fish that was filleted and that was great. My mother also wrote up a "life story" a few years before she passed away and it was amazing the detail she had and how interesting her story was. It doesn't really matter whether all the facts in such a story are true as it is the willingness to share a part of our past with the younger generations. It sounds like Belvadere thought it was your time to give him some attention and he wasn't going to let you get away from giving it. 

MarsGal, what an interesting fact about the eyes of those fish.

Patricia, Alaskans have a great opportunity for the fresh fish from the fresh water that is so plentiful. 

Jackie, that is fine about Skype and I appreciate your telling me. I know these tools are not for everyone. Just know I, and I know we all care about you and want what is best for you but only you can know what that may be. 

Mary Ann, I found it interesting yesterday when Gloria Vanderbilt's fortune was being discussed and the fact she has left her son, Anderson Cooper, no inheritance and he apparently didn't want one as has done very well on his own. If we have made it I expect we appreciate it more than just having a trust fund handed to us. However, I wouldn't know that from actual experience.

Amy, we tried to keep a special flower pot of grass for our cat that we trim off some and give it to him. He really liked it. 

Callie, it sounds like the Revelstoke engineers had established a connection with the bagels. I like tartar sauce and if we are out Pat often fixes her own, which is just as good or better than the commercial product. 

Jenny, I know this will be a hard day for you in leaving your Dad but what a nice week it has turned out to be when you were dreading so much. Fortunately you do not live thousands of miles from your Dad. Now you can focus again on Michelle and those beautiful grandchildren. I am pretty sure the short term memory confusion is very common in people of his age. You have had much more important things to do than to worry about comments to individual posters and I would be terribly surprised if anyone here would take offense because they were not mentioned. I know I certainly do not. It is too bad when family members can not agree that we want only what is best for our loved one and that is more important than the "power" of the decision making particularly if the person isn't able or willing to take that path. I have mentioned many times that my sister and I have never had any problems in this regard as we both wanted only what was best for my parents. I wanted her to accept more of the estate that was left because she had taken on the responsibility to being the administrator of the trust. She absolutely refused and wanted me to see every document or anything that involved the estate. I guess it is pretty plain why I love my sister so much and my wonderful BIL who stands with her. It sounds like Bob plays the role I have tried to do over the years and that is to help and not be concerned about who gets the credit. While having money is important and better than not having it, it just has never been that important to me. Having money isn't evil but the love of money certainly leaves a lot to be desired. When we do our best then we can certainly live our lives without regret. Thanks for sharing and many families experience the same thing, which is sad indeed. Have a good trip home today.

MarsGal

Larry, what a nice long post.

Jenny, I am glad you had a good visit with your Dad and had a nice trip home. Wishing Michele the best.

Patricia, I visit Revelstoke regularly, although I turn the sound down sometimes, especially when the train is stopped across the road so I don't have to hear the loud clanging. I love watching the cars that are painted what looks like a metalic red. What I didn't know is that there is another cam shot looking east.

Callie
, thanks for sharing your memeory of the train trip, especially about the bagel and crow.

These are still my favorite RailFan sites:

Ashland, VA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlksXBZbx8Y They switched the cam from the red building (I think it was that one) on the other side of the intersection to the station. I don't like that location as much because I liked the view of the whole station and a closer view of the cars turning onto the tracks. Yes, for some reason there are regular incidents of cars turning left onto the tracks. So many, in fact, that response time is quick for the cops and tow trucks.

La Grange, KY: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ5cg83D5AE

I used to like watching the Laramie, WY cam, but that seems to be down now. What I liked about that one was the view of the mountains and sky. I think I watch all thess cams as much to see what the weather is in other parts of the country as to watch the trains. It is another reason I watch the Marine City, and now, Port Huron. The pre-dawn sky and the sunrise are just wonderful.

Here is a new train site that I just noticed two days ago. Strasburg, PA rail museum which is not too far from here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ejEjn57h3A I watched them adding water to the train tank yesterday. The red building in the background, on your left is the Red Caboose Motel and Restaurant. The National Toy Museum and Library is close by; it is a don't miss stop if you are nearby. I haven't been to either in years. The rail museum has since expanded and renovated.

Marilyne

The friends we were expecting to arrive yesterday for lunch and a nice long visit, were unable to come. They called in the morning to tell us that Chuck, had had a CT scan on Monday, and it was bad news. They found cancer in his lungs, and also a spot on his brain.  So yesterday they had a conference with the doctor to decide how to proceed with treatment.  Chuck is conflicted about choice, as he is 85, and doesn't want to go through chemo plus radiation. His wife, (my oldest living friend), is not well, after a bad fall in the shower, a couple of years ago.  I am just so sad, and cannot stop thinking about them.  They have had some serious family tragedies in the past few years.  We will probably drive up to see them, as soon as possible. 

JENNY - I'm glad your dad is doing so well, and that your visit was not as stressful as before.  I also want to say, that I understand the situation with your brother. It seems like when there is a son and a daughter, that it's the daughter who is always there in a crisis of any kind.  My brother, (who had his own business, and a young family at the time), was always too busy to go down to Southern Cal, to help with my dad's many health problems over the years, or to even visit.  Long story, which I won't go into.  I will say, that the GOOD part was that I became very close to my dad during those last years of his life.  I spent so much time there, and got to know him on a deeper level than I had previously.  I have fond memories of those final years. 

LARRY - I really enjoyed reading your long message this morning.  Also hello to Mars Gal!  I'll get back later to comment and say hello to everyone who arrives in the meantime! :)

FlaJean

It rained yesterday and we had a summer storm last night.  My 6 month eye appointment went well.  The pressure in my eyes was good.  I think keeping my computer time much less has been good for my eyes.

My humidifier came yesterday and it made sleeping more comfortable and I didn't have to get up to drink water several times to alleviate the dryness in my mouth and throat.  The AC really dries the air.

What a nice long post from you, Larry.  We also like the Firehouse subs.  My husband and I often share a medium "Club on a Sub".  We usually get one to go and eat it at home in more comfortable and pleasant surroundings.  Sometimes I can't even finish my half, but somehow I always have a little bit of room left in my appetite for a small dessert.  Also thanks for tip about scrolling down before posting, I hadn't thought of that.

Joy, I only used my Instant Pot once.  I just find that the crockpot is more to my liking.  I'm not in a big hurry and don't have to worry about rushing home from work and starting a meal, and I don't feel comfortable with the steam.  I put the IP in my cabinet and maybe when my crockpot goes I'll get me a glass top and use it as a slow cooker.  However I do love my bread machine.  I use the dough setting for all the kneading and rising and then shape the dough and place in a 3x5 bread pan for the final rising and bake for 30 min.  It makes a nice loaf that is delicious and it is so easy——just takes some waiting time which I have aplenty.

Marilyne, that is so sad about your friends.  Bad news for sure.  As we get older, we do lose so many of our acquaintances and friends to sickness.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Mary Ann

We just got back from my Retiree Friends luncheon.  Tom's cousin met him and I was glad to see the cousin because I don't see him that often.  There were six of us and I had a fish sandwich, which is served hot, the way I like it.  There are a lot of detours on the x-way and we were lucky that they didn't affect us, but they did a couple of the women. 

We are enjoying a nice day, but we may get rain later on.  We are at 74 degrees at 1:40 pm.  The sun has come out but on the whole, the sky is overcast.

Marilyn, that is sad about your friends.  I hope he can come up with some treatment that will help and will keep him comfortable.  At 85 I don't blame him, however, I don't know what I'd do in the same situation.

Jean, you may not have the same experience I do, but when I get up in the middle of the night, I put a small amount of water in a glass to drink (2-3 T?) and I don't have dry mouth.  If you don't have to get up about 3 or 4 am, you are very lucky.

We do have a Firehouse Sub a couple miles from here and I know someday we will try it; I've heard much good about them.  We also have a Jimmy John nearby and I like their sandwiches. 

Norm and I were the only beneficiaries to my dad's estate and I was the administrator.  Everything was split down the middle and Norm helped me.  My own Trust will be more complicated because I am including the next generation after Tom (he's the only one of that generation left and the next generation are all adults).  Tom knows what I want and he has seen the Trust.  I'm not going to worry about it because there will be nothing I can do anyway.

A good way to wake up this morning, after I did wake up, was to watch a couple of ships on the St Clair River sliding by very silently.  At 8 am, there usually are lots of cars already waiting for a ship to go by.  I wonder if some of them buy breakfast and eat it by the river side.

I hope I can get a short nap in today before Robin comes.  She told Tom she likes to get paid in cash and I think that is because she seems to have lost a check recently.  I told her I prefer to pay my bills by check, even her, so she is going to get another check today. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Musical theatre boyband Collabro sing Bring Him Home | Britain's Got Talent 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNOF1zB5aY

angelface555

angelface555

Live Weather UK Beach Cam Brunel Railway Dawlish Devon - San Remo Cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjfGCgMXBg