Random Image

Lunch Time

Owner: RAMMEL
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

I was reading the posts and eating an orange (Halo) at the same time.  The reading ran out first. 

Kendrick is sleeping the sleep of the just on my bed so I'll see how long he stays there.

MarsGal, I am not a play goer or a serious TV watcher so I can,t share those programs with you.  But I sure wish I had no lights around here so I could see certain stars and galaxies.  I remember when much younger when we did not have street lights, I could see the Milky Way from our front porch.  Also the North Star, Big Dipper and surrounding stars.  Even the Northern Lights at times.  Then a neighbor who worked at night wanted a street light and they put it across the street from us.  Funny, she drove to and from work and could get in her driveway OK.  My grandmother always called it "Mrs Varney's light".  As far as here, we're lit up like a Christmas tree year round.  We have to have shades on our windows or it is like daytime.  Those lights are on the back of a building and I know it is for security purposes.

Marilyn, that's nice the Bass Pro honored President #41, especially with a picture of him fishing.  We have Calebra's here, it is not close, but none of my family are sports minded as far as fishing or hunting are concerned.  James has helped coach a football team, but as a volunteer.  I guess sports is a spectator sport here.

Marilyn, in the primary, I have to vote straight ticket, so if I I want to vote for a candidate of another party, I don't vote for the one in the party I am favoring.  In the fall elections, I can vote for anyone I want - and I do!

Tom really is enjoying his teaching for the most part.  And he's signed up with the District; this is not just a holiday thing.  It doesn't pay what he wishes it did, but it does pay - which is more than his semi recruiting job does when a driver doesn't show up. 

Time for lunch.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Soon be leaving for my near local MS social...
We are due to have a group of young from our local theatre calling themselves W O W...They give us a short dancing stage routine at the end of our groups social year, plugging their Christmas show at our local theatre in Weymouth, and I must say, they are pretty good... Afterwards we have our last of the year Christmas raffle, followed by a table, come up with a plate and help yourself buffet...all followed by a cup of tea or coffee via one of our volunteer MS mini bus drivers bringing the trolley around....
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, I think that is a nice custom with your MS group.  With all of your aches and pains, it is nice to have a dancing group followed by so many goodies.  Have a good time.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

It's been cool and foggy today, with periods of sunshine, but no warmth to it.  I know we are far warmer than the rest of the country, (except Florida and Hawaii!), so I won't complain about what I consider to be cold.  A low of 39 here overnight, and about 52 high today

Mary Ann - most of the men in my family are sports minded - meaning that they like to participate in things like stream and lake fishing, trap and skeet shooting, and deep sea fishing too. I loved it when AJ used to go deep sea salmon fishing with one of this friends from work, who had a nice boat.  They would go about once a week during the season, and would usually get limits of some kind of ocean fish.  Salmon was what they were after, but sometimes they would get red snapper, petrali sole or halibut, as well.

Jackie - I hope you had a nice time today at your MS social event.  That's nice that there is a group like that for you. It must be very comforting for you to talk to people about your MS, who understand what you're going through.

Vanilla-Jackie

Thank you Mary Ann and Marilyne...
...it was very enjoyable and this year we both done very well winning great raffle prizes which were not cheap...these came from both Saturdays Christmas dinner raffle held at our annual rather posh hotel, and tonight's raffle held at our usual meet-up venue just a short distance away....even a very large bottle of Pommery Brut Royal Champagne...a set of 6 crystal cut liqueur tumblers.....a bottle of black raspberry liqueur...all very nice if one still drinks... :bubbly:  oh well, maybe I can force a small glass down me...

Mary Ann

Marilyn, my dad did not do a lot of fishing until I had the cottage built but our lake did not have good fish; the panfish were usually small.  But he liked to fish as something to do.  Norm worked such awful hours for many years as a car salesman that he didn't have time for it. He had trouble finding time for his three sons.  At that time dealerships were not open on Sunday and he left his Sundays for the boys.  I remember when I was small I'd go fishing with my dad and I learned to put worms and crickets on the hook.  I have no idea if I caught any fish or not. 

Nowadays, I like to eat fish but not catch them!'

Tom has gone to sit with a friend's family at the hospital.  The patient has brain cancer and is undergoing a long surgery.  Tom's ministerial training is a good thing in cases like this.  I don't know if Tom has performed any weddings but he has had plenty of funerals. 

I'm listening to Christmas music and I wish someone had told the young people that they can't sing.  Or told them to learn how to sing. That's my generation showing.  I used to read about how the "old time" singers used to take voice lessons so they'd know how to breathe right. 

I'll get off my soapbox until the next time and see about getting something to eat.  I'm not hungry but it's after 6 pm and I didn't have a good lunch.  Tom is going to the store in the morning!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good afternoon from the Interior. We were cut off last night until this afternoon due to some type of internet interference so I spent 45 minutes awaiting a tech to tell me on my minute by minute cell that there was a disruption. Luckily it was not the one or two days they gave as an estimate.

I was attempting to suggest an alternative to an issue but have decided now to wait until asked before responding. Michael mentioned earlier that he does not read various sites in this forum unless asked to because he is younger and not a senior. So any questions for him are best posted in the Site Announcements or attempting your own fixes.

I used to love to fish, it was part of what we did when I was a child. Now I depend on the generosity of friends to have fish and game which for me is better than commercial foods.

Voting for us is straight ticket in the primaries and then open to all in the elections. Alaska's largest registered group is Independents over Democrats or Republicans. So folks often go by person instead of party.

I have issues with star gazing although I would love to see them. In the summer there is almost 24/7 daylight and in the winter a general cloud cover. In severe cold,(meaning loss of that cloud cover); when heat escapes, we have an Arctic view of the skies which is very different from what you see in the lower latitudes. Other than the North Star or Milky Way, I don't know the stars for this area. Generally if there is a celestial event, it isn't seen here.

Starting tomorrow we're expecting temperatures in the minuses and even perhaps in the minus twenties but it no longer lasts or gets nearly as cold as it did before climate change.

Jackie, that sounds like a wonderful support group you have and that you had a good time.

Sandy, politics in the building is a volatile subject and seems to be split between gender lines. Among my friends our politics are probably the same.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I can well imagine your sky is different than ours down here and you probably see different formations and galaxies.  As I wrote, I remember seeing the Milky Way but it is impossible now.  We do see the moon but it has to be in a certain spot for me to see it because of trees.  I don't go outside at dark anyway. 

Tom came home a short time ago and said his friend's BIL came through the surgery better than expected.  He may go home in a few days but will have a long recovery period.  This was for brain cancer surgery. 

I have one more Christmas card to go out; I am out of my pictures and I can e-mail a copy if I decide to do that.  This is for a second cousin's daughter who had moved and I didn't know her address.  I was going to send her a Jacquie Lawson card but I have plenty of time to send a regular card with the computer message I wrote.

Tom said we would have our Christmas with James, Alicia and the twins on Christmas afternoon.  It will be the first Christmas I've had on Christmas Day in I don't know how long.  After Christmas Eve at Norm's in previous years, everyone would go their separate ways and I relaxed.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia - Mary Ann...
...yes depending on which corner of the planet we live in, our sky's do appear different...same as when I briefly lived in St Lucia Caribbean 1982  the first thing we noticed ( me and my then 12 year old daughter ) was how low the sky looked compared to England, even the moon took on a different shape, looked lower and layed on its side...infact everything appeared lower apart from the thunder and lightening..

Joy

Good Wednesday morning.  Chilly enough to push the thermostat up and I can feel the nice warm air blowing on me.  My computer sits right under the air duct, and it sure gets cold sometimes when the heat comes on.  This place is heated with a heat pump and lots of times the "air" comes out feeling like the A/C is on.  I let it run a while and when it gets too warm I shut it back down.

I did not get in here yesterday at all. I was not feeling all that great most of the morning.  And, I did not get much accomplished at all.  Didn't even go down to play cards last night.  Feel better this morning.

It looks like a sunny day, but it is chilly. 

Jackie, nice to see you this morning and I am so happy that you had a nice time at the MS party and that you won some prizes. That made it all the nicer.  I am glad to know that you are still involved with this support group,  Sounds like you are still getting along ok. 

I still have not got my wreath on the door, or set up my little ceramic tree. That is on my to-do list for sure, today.

I have been awake for a good while, but not quite "up and at em", yet.  Need to get some breakfast and that should wake me up.

Have a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We are in for another beautiful day with it getting up into the 50's.  I have a friend coming by at 10 am this morning to spend an hour with me and then I will take Pat over to a friends home where the ladies in the craft group will be enjoying a Christmas luncheon.  She doesn't even have to make something to take, which makes it nice.  I am go happy that she is feeling up to attending.

Our heat pump froze up again and I wasn't surprised since the needed parts hadn't been replaced.  I spoke with the repairman this morning and he said the parts are due in today and he will be here tomorrow to fix it.  So we will stay on Emergency Heat for another day or so. It keeps us nice and warm.

This evening she in planning on fixing ribs, baked beans and potato salad and also a cherry pie for our dinner as Scott will be over.  She will be pretty well done in when all of that is done.  I will help her as much as I can.  We did get haircuts yesterday after we had our main meal at Ruby Tuesday's. I downloaded the audio book of War and Peace by Leo Toystoy.  I have never read it and may not be able to get it finished as it is about 51 hours of recording.  At least someone will be pronouncing all of those Russian names.

Sandy, I agree the events in the world occur so quickly and we get so much news it is hard to keep up with it all.  I have a couple of friends that I can talk politics with. 

Mary Ann, since my circle of friends is basically those who attend the same Methodist Church I do we have very similar religious views.  Yes, I am the one who has been talking about the way to increase the size of the posting box.  Glad that has been a help to you.  It is nice that Tom has found a job that gives him income when his other work slows down and that he most often enjoys it. 

MarsGal, it sounds like you are very interesting in Astronomy.  I can't tell one star from another and have lived in the city with bright lights so long and am seldom outside at night that I don't often see the starts anymore.  Do you use a telescope?  I always enjoyed the live performances we attended and it sounds like you and your sister also enjoy them. 

Marilyne, I have been in a Bass Pro Shop in a couple of different places.  It is hard to believe there can be that much stuff related to fishing and the outdoors.  That sounds like a nice tribute they had to President Bush.  I have to wonder what the kids home lives are that are so unruly and out of control at school.  We had another school in our county that had to evacuate due to threats yesterday and that isn't the first time or school around here that has happened to.  when I was in school the teacher could discipline and the high school Superintendent/Principle had a "board" of education in his office.  I am not aware that he ever had to use it but I think the parents would have approved if he had been caused to resort to it.  I know my folks would have supported him totally and probably added to the punishment. You all were pretty chilly in your area yesterday.  I hope today is better for you. 

Jackie, it sounds like your MS social was jam packed with activity yesterday and that you had a good time and I see the raffle was good to you. 

Patricia, I remember when I used to have a pay per minutes cell phone and had to stay on the line a long time and it wasn't fun.  Glad you are back online.  I forget about the special area we have to contact Michael and have written him email a few times with requests for help and he has always been helpful to me.  I have never liked to fish and would rather be reading a book.  The two years we lived in Alaska I neither fished nor hunted but several guys I worked with did. 

Joy, we had a heat pump when we lived in Gaithersburg, Maryland and it didn't do a good job and it seemed we were never warm in the winter.  I couldn't wait to get back to a house with gas forced air heating.  However, I really like our heat pump here as it holds a steady temperature and you can feel the warmth.  Glad to see you are feeling better today.

Mary Ann

Joy, it's too bad you were not feeling well yesterday and it's good you do feel better today - so far. 

The sun is trying to shine here and I hope it keeps it up.  I looked at the radar and it shows we should have another day of no snow.  Tom left about 7 am and I have an idea he is driving, although he could have signed up for a school.  I won't know until he does not show up about 10 am, but does show up about 3 pm.  He is supposed to pick up our grocery order this morning - so I'll see him when I see him.

I found out more about our Christmas which will be in Holland on Christmas Day with James and family at 1 pm and we will have pork tenderloin.  I am sure we will be asked to bring something.  It will be fun to see the girls' reactions to Christmas.

James was not allowed to believe in Santa when he was young, although he knew who Santa was.  However, he was allowed to believe in the Easter Bunny.  I have kidded him and his mother about that!  Annie was allowed to believe in Santa.  I have no idea how James and Alicia handle it.  I always gave James something from Santa and he always got a big kick out of.  Memories.

It turned out that Tom went to Mc D's for breakfast, then picked up the groceries, which are now put away. 

Larry, you mentioned unruly kids in school (from Marilyn's post):  I've told this before so I'll repeat myself, but my dad was a teacher - printing press - and had only boys in those classes (if he taught a math class he could get girls too, but that was seldom).  He retired a year early because it was about that time that the parents started sticking up for the students instead of the teachers.  That isn't to say the teachers were right 100% of the time, but it became difficult for the teachers to discipline the students if they did not have the backing of the parents.  So Dad retired a few months after his 64th birthday and had eleven years of retirement, however, it was not as successful as mine because he had mini strokes but he managed those very well.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Good Morning,

MarsGal,  I grew up on 160 acres of pastureland.  My Christmas book one year was about most of the constellations with drawings of them and the myths about them.  My Dad and I would go out in the pasture on a clear night with no moon and "study the sky".  Haven't lived anywhere that's possible since those days.

I did attend an Elderhostel on Seabrook Island near Charleston S.C. at which one of the classes was "Astronomy".  We went out on the beach and looked at the sky through provided binoculars.  That's the first and only time I've seen a star cluster.
We were far enough south that one constellation we saw was in the Southern Hemisphere.  Unfortunately,  I don't remember its name.

Although we had ponds and my Dad kept them stocked - and cane poles on the back porch, I didn't ever learn to fish. Different story with my grandchildren, whose other "grandfamily" are all outdoor sportspersons.

Granddaughter who lives in New York City once worked at an event that was some kind of fish count in the rivers around Manhattan.  The teams were to catch as many fish as possible within a time limit - measure and weigh them - and release them.

Her team caught a large bass but the "officials" on the team couldn't get hold of the fish to get the hook out of its mouth and release it.  Up steps this pert little 20-somethng red-head who grabs the fish, removes the hook and tosses it back in the river.  Then she said to the amazed New Yorkers,  "My Nana taught me to do this when I was 10."

I taught second grade for ten years and subbed for several more but I could not and would not set foot in a classroom today.  It's true that teachers and administrators are no longer allowed to punish students for misbehavior but some of it may be that some teachers try to be a "buddy" instead of "the adult in the room".
I remember the classroom supervisor in the district where I taught telling us "Be one with your students but never ever be one of them."

Off to a Christmas luncheon in a new Greek restaurant.  Hope we have something I can eat comfortably.

Hoping Everyfriend Everywhere has an Enjoyable Day

Marilyne

Joy - you and I have the same problem, with the heater vent blowing on us when we're sitting at the computer. My vent is on the floor, right under the computer desk, so when it's on, it's blowing right on my feet.  Like yours, the blowing air is cold, (cool), when it first goes on, and when it's ready to go off.  It can be very uncomfortable, and noticeable when it switchs from nice and warm, to the cooling off cycle!!  It's also bad in the summer, when the AC is on.  Sometimes I get so chilled that I have to leave the room for a while.  Unfortunately, there is no other place to move the desk, so I have to put up with it.

Mary Ann, spending Christmas Day in Holland, sounds perfect..  It's always so much fun to watch toddlers tearing into those presents! They figure out very quickly, how to remove the wrapping!

Larry - I wish we could join you, Pat and Scott for dinner tonight.  The menu sounds delicious . .  AJ loves ribs and beans, and I would concentrate on the potato salad and cherry pie! :D  I hope you have better luck reading "War and Peace", than I did!  I was determined, but finally gave up.  This was many years ago, and I haven't wanted to give it another go since then.

Jackie - I'm sure you will enjoy a couple of glasses of that champagne! Always good for a celebration . . . especially weddings.

Patricia - my Preview, is working now.  I don't know if Michael fixed it, or if it just started working again on its own - he didn't say.  However, the other issues I asked him about have not been resolved.

MarsGal

Larry, I have a passing interest in Astronomy but not to the point of being out all hours of the night and in freezing weather. I do have a telescope that was given to me years ago, but I never used it. It is one of the 4" ones (I think). My sister had it for a while but she never used it either. Anyhow, I am missing a few parts which are are around somewhere but got misplaced when I packed the last time I moved. If I ever clear out the junk I have collected over the years I am sure I will find them. It doesn't look like I will be doing any meteor shower watching. We will, once again, be getting rain just in time for the show. I would have tried again last night to find the comet with my little binoculars, but it got cloudy overnight. Right now it is partly sunny,

Callie
, where I live now, I have to contend with a tree line blocking the lower part of the horizon to the south, street lights, lots of passing cars, my neighbors' motion detector light, and my big pines blocking much of the sky in the back. I had a better view of the night sky from the backyard of the house I lived in before. It was less than a mile away, but down in a hollow that blocked the city lights and I was not on a main street. I like to keep up with things though through websites like https://www.space.com/ , http://spaceweather.com/ , NASA, and all those wonderful people who post their webcasts and videos having to do with all things space.p If you like checking out near earth asteroid updates, comets, aurora, and meteor showers, as well as the status of our sun, and other things, spaceweather.com is the place to go. Space.com covers some of that but concentrates on space flight and exploration.

BTW, Voyager 2 finally made it to interstellar space. Both Voyagers, launched way back in 1977 are still working and sending back data.

I must get to my Latin, which surprise, surprise, I've been putting off. Sigh!

Marilyne

Callie - looks like we were posting at the same time, so I didn't see your message until now. I hope you enjoy your Greek luncheon today. The only Greek food that I've ever had are falafel's, and the salads with all the olives. Also that delicious layered pastry, made with honey. Can't remember the name?

Mary Ann = When you mention your father teaching printing classes to high school boys, it always reminds me of my father-in-law. (AJ's dad). He taught machine shop classes at the local junior college. He had worked as a machinist all his life, but didn't get his teaching credential until he was in his 50's.  He absolutely loved teaching, and was always sorry that he didn't start earlier in life. The Jr. college boys were eager to learn, and there were no problems with discipline. School children of all ages were so different back then . . . They had respect for the teachers, which is what's now lacking in public schools. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, our high school had four shop courses:  Mechanical Drawing, Machine Shop, Wood Shop and Printing.  There were two Home Ec classes:  Foods and Sewing.  I'm not so sure it was all together - one semester Cooking and the second semester Sewing.  I don't think I took either in high school, only in Jr High which was in our school.  I cook a couple of things that I learned in school, also a few things I learned after I bought our first electric range and the company gave us free lessons.  My, that was a long time ago since I bought that range in 1955.  My dad cooked and he took to cooking electric like a duck took to water!

I'm glad your FIL had better students than Dad did at the end but all in all, Dad loved teaching and the boys loved him. He had a Printing Club and they'd come to the house and they called my mother "Mom" and she loved it.  Callie is right when she writes "be one with your students, not one of them"  I read about too many teachers these days who get into trouble because they try to be "buddy".

MarsGal, when I had a cottage, there were no outside lights (unless we turned ours on) and when Echo and Sputnik and other satellites went over, we'd go out on the front lawn to see it go overhead.  At home, we went in the back yard.  But not where I live today - too much light. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Just a question that I'm curious about. I was planning to send an email to someone here in S&F,  so looked on the list of members and see that there is no email shown for this person.  Then, out of curiosity, I looked at the profiles of most of those who post in this folder, as well as some in Leisure Activities.  No one has an email showing except for me? That seems strange, because I have written to some of these people in the past?

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I can see my email address on the memberlist but I can't see yours or others I have exchanged emails with.  Maybe that changed with the new format.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, like Callie, I found my own e-mail but not yours.  However, I saw I could send you a message but I'm not sure I had to have the e-mail address or if a message would go to you anyway.  Unless Windows 10 goofs things up, I have your e-mail address in my list of contacts.  Strange things are happening!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I just sent you a message via Member List and it said it was sent successfully.

We'll see.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, don't laugh, but I can't pick up your return message.  The box says I have a message and nothing happens when I click on it.  It looks like you were able to get my message or send one like I did.

Mary Ann

shirleyn

Hi guys & gals.  It is me, back again.  I had my first chemo treatment on Tuesday - it took from 8:00 AM & got home at 4:30 PM.  Whew, a long day.  Things did go well. And today I was fine, a little weak and shaky, but none of the bad side effects that I was expecting. Of course that could still happen, but I am feeling quite well.  I have taken it easy today, after breakfast I lay down for a while, then got up & cleaned up the kitchen, then lay down for a while, then do little chores, etc. etc.  I had some home made bean soup in the freezer which I thawed for supper.  So I had an easy day. 

Glad to see and read everybody's posts and that everybody is doing well. It is getting close to midnight, so will go back & try for another nap.  Hmmm, this is getting to be a nice habit.  ::)

shirleyn

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy - Larry Hanna...
...afraid to admit but my three recent MS end of year social gatherings and Christmas meals was - is the hi-lite of my Christmas, very little else will now be happening, no family get together's for either of us...I will attend at least one Christmas carol church service if all goes to plan as Richard has been undergoing hospital - medical tests - procedures these last few weeks with another two taking place today and Monday...I was hoping to attend one of the same churches as last year this coming Monday but R has to go on a fasting and a good clearing out, in preparation for Mondays colonoscopy, so I will have to miss this Carols by candlelight service this year...

Oh I am still allowed to drive a car for the next three years, not long had my licence renewed due to my MS situation but R has now a manual car for the time being, always managed to get an automatic from his ex company but not this time, and of course legally I can only drive an automatic, again all bad timing...But saying that, I haven't driven since before my MS diagnoses of 3 plus years ago, guess my car driving confidence days are over but we do definitely need a car where we now live, we are miles off the main road tucked away down in the valleys...if one wants isolation, this is the place to be... ::)   :-\

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Today we are expecting just clouds but a high into the low 60's.  This morning I will pick up my friend and we will go downtown to coffee.  After I return him home I will go over to Walmart to pick up a couple of prescriptions and then get the online grocery order.  We expect the heat pump tech here sometime today.  Beyond that nothing else is on the schedule.  Pat did enjoy her Christmas luncheon yesterday and the dinner she prepared last evening was delicious. Scott really enjoyed it.  Our great grandchildren and their father sent us the largest Christmas card I have ever seen.  They had all signed it.

Mary Ann, I bet you all are in for a treat as you watch those little girls open their Christmas gifts.

Callie, I remember when you and a couple of others who posted here were attending the Elderhostel experiences and they always sounded so interesting.  I think in some schools now teachers of small children are not even allowed to touch them to give them a hug or encouragement.  I think that is so sad.  My great grandfather was a teacher by profession and I remember hearing that on the first day of school he went to the blackboard and wrote "do right" and then told his class that was his one rule. 

Marilyne and Mary Ann, I sure wouldn't want the heating/AC vent under my desk.  In this house all of the vents are in the ceiling but that doesn't seem to be a problem as it is forced air and it circulates well.  You would have been welcome at our table last evening.  Our leftovers we went home with Scott along with a big piece of pie.  I am not sure how far I will go with "War and Peace".  I started on it yesterday and it is rather slow going and so many characters involved.  I think I listened to 6 chapters so far.  If you see a little envelope graphic before the posting begins for someone and under their sign in information you can click on it and should be able to send an email to that person. I have used that numerous times and it has worked for me. 

Shirleyn, will all of your chemo treatments take all day long or just this first one.  Glad you are not experiencing side effects and lets hope it stays that way.  You are wise to take things easy and get some extra rest. 

Jackie, it sounds like you just celebrated Christmas early with your three social gatherings.  We will not be having much of a Christmas celebration but our son will be here with us for a little while on the day.  We can't get a commitment from our granddaughter and Elizabeth but they know they are invited.  Our Church service Sunday is the Carol and Scripture service.   

MarsGal, thanks for sharing how you enjoy Astronomy.  I am going to look at the Space site you listed.  It is amazing what is available to us on the Internet.

Mary Ann

Larry, I cannot find the envelope you mentioned to send an e-mail - at least not on my post - and other posts I see do not have avatars or envelopes or anything else.  I forget how I found the way to send Marilyn a message, but if I need to, I'll find what I did this time.

Also, Larry, I am not one who has a heat vent under my desk because my knees are my desk for my laptop.  My heat vent is across the room and I am very comfortable with the heat it provides.  I have four vents in the ceiling that I know of and all are in the lower level; one is in Tom's bedroom, one in the bath and two in the family room.  They don't provide very good heat, but Tom doesn't mind except in very cold weather with the wind blowing from the north.

Shirley, I'm glad things went well for you that first day of chemo and I hope things continue that way.

Jackie, I knew I hadn't seen mention of Richard for some time so I'm sorry to hear he has health problems too.  I hope all will go well with his colonoscopy.

By this time, I'm sure Marilyn knows I found her message, but I don't know how I got there.  I think I clicked on the Total Messages 

Tom just came home from breakfast and brought in some mail or it might have come from UPS.  I think he'll be home most of the day.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Richard has just this minute left for his hospital appointment re, iron infusion, told this will take one & a half hours...

Marilyne

The little envelope avatar, is only visible on our own profile.  There now is no way to send an email to anyone on S&F, unless you already have their email saved from before.  I have email addresses for Patricia and Mary Ann, from this folder, but that is all. So if we want to contact someone, we have to use the S&F Personal Messages?

Jackie - I hope that Richard's tests are going to all be normal.  I've had the colonoscopy many times over the years, and it's not something I look forward to!  Not painful in itself, but the prep is time consuming and unpleasant. Afterward, he will be tired and a little bit "spacey" from the anesthesia.  I just saw your message about the iron infusion. That is something I have never heard of?  He is obviously very low in iron.

Shirley - Eight hours is about right for the first chemo treatment.  The others will take less time.  Yours are far enough apart, that I'm hoping you won't have any reaction?

Joy

Good morning.  I am a little slow moving this morning, as usual.  I didn't sleep well again last night. I can get back to sleep when it is time for me to be getting up.  So, that makes it later for me getting things done. I see it is almost lunchtime now, and I have not done much at all.

Jackie, Hope all will go well for R's tests.  I am glad that you seem to still be handling your MS pretty well. I know it has been a hard road for you, with not having a lot of support.  But, I am glad that you were able to get to the group parties that you went to. 

I have a friend who has to get those iron infusions.  Her iron levels are very low and the doctor can't seem to find out why, so she will just continue to get the infusions every so often.  And, she did tell me that they do take about 90 min.

Shirley, glad your chemo treatment seemed to go well.  I don't think the next one will take as long.

It is a pretty sunny day here today.  Rain is due tomorrow and into Sat.  I am supposed to go shopping on Sat.. The rain won't bother me too much, and they are saying the temperatures are supposed to be in the 50's, so that will help. I won't be outside for too long.  My DIL and I are going to an Amish Farmer's Market up in Shrewsbury, Pa.  Lots of good things to eat and see.

Larry, I know how difficult it is to get commitments from the younger generation.  I have the same problem with my family, also.  Nice that your son will be with you, tho.  I will be going to my oldest son's house for dinner.  My other two sons will be there and maybe a couple neighbors.  My son is a good cook, and tends to go overboard.   Way too much food,  but he loves to make different things. I am planning on taking a cake.  He would rather handle all the rest of the dinner. 

I need to get myself going.  I need to clean out my fridge and straighten up the kitchen a bit.  I plan to play cards this evening.  That means an early dinner as we start at 6.  A lot of times, I eat a little something  early and then eat when I come back about 8:30.  This works out better for me.

I hope everyone will have a nice afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Good morning from a five above, lightly snowing Interior with an evening low expected of minus eleven.

Marilyne, the thought bubble that should be on everyone's post, just under the signifying country to the left is what you click on to send a PM. You evidently don't need to add an email as the name is listed just underneath. I sent you one to test the system and couldn't resist using "This is a test of the emergency broadcasting center" or system as a subject. Clicking the envelope brought up email rather than a PM.

Shirley, I was so glad that your first treatment went so well with no bad after effects! I'm hoping it stays that way!

MaryAnn, I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful time with your great nieces! There are no longer any children in my immediate family with the youngest grand now 28. However, I have many friends with grands and great grands who lovingly share them! Just recently I had the pleasure of meeting one friend's newest great-grandson.

This was extra special as my first meeting with the new father was when he refused to let me ride his tricycle. I had jokingly asked him if I could ride it when I first met him and he replied, "No, cause you're a 'dult!"I told him he's still just as opinionated and his wife just laughed and agreed.

Jackie, you and I are in the same boat in regards to a family as all of mine are a few thousand miles away. I have been sensitive to Ferris Sulfate all my life and cannot give blood as there is no oxygen in my platelets. I try to eat as many iron-rich foods as possible and that seems to work.

You should see the production when I have to give blood as it involves dropping my arm lower than my heart and wiggling my fingers. If I stop wiggling my fingers, the blood stays in. I was told they had to use a size 20 needle the last hospitalization!