Random Image

jacob

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:06:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Old Sayings and Quips From our past

Started by RAMMEL, March 31, 2016, 12:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

]I received this in a e-mail today.  I have read it before, but it occurred to me that it fits this folder.  I don't intend that any of these be added to the long list here, but I thought some of you might enjoy reading it (again!?)  Mary Ann

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word, Murgatroyd?

Lost Words from our childhood: Words gone as fast as the buggy whip! Sad really!

The other day a not so elderly (60-65, I'd say) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said, What the heck is a Jalopy?”  He’d never heard of the word jalopy!!  She knew she was old but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I thought of some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.

These phrases included “Don’t touch that dial", “Carbon copy", “You sound like a broken record” and “Hung out to dry.”

Back in the olden days we had “A lot of moxie”.  We’d put on our best bib and tucker to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley!

We were, “In like Flynn” and “Living the life of Riley”, and even a regular guy couldn’t accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill.  Not for all the tea in China!

Back when we were kids, life used to be swell, but when’s the last time anything was swell?
Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys, and the D.A. ... of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back.  Kilroy was here, but he isn’t anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle!" or "This is a fine kettle of fish!"

We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent as oxygen,
have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we’ve left behind. Where have all those phrases gone?

Here are a few: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey!  It’s your nickel. Don’t forget to pull the chain.

Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I’ll see you in the funny papers.

Don’t take any wooden nickels. It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills.  This can be disturbing stuff!

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times.

For a child, each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory.  It’s one of the greatest advantages of aging.  (I'd like to add that some words' meanings have changed too.)99

See you later alligator ! "In a while crocodile !"

JaneS

Ok, MaryAnn i know all those expressions but what the heck is a "BLOG" an when do I need a "HASHTAG"?

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

Jane, I really don't know that much about computer terms, but I think a BLOG is something that you write yourself, maybe have a website that people visit to read your BLOG.  I'm thinking of The Pioneer Woman (Food Network) who has a blog (I don't read it).  A #HASHTAG I think goes along with Twitter and I'm not on Twitter. 

I recognized all of those sayings, too, and probably used most of them and may still use some of them!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Thought by now I had come to the end of the things my parents would once say to me but, another has just sprung to mind...Often said when I had given lip to someone, guess, by saying something I shouldn't have said when, all of a sudden I got a clip round the ears...followed by..

" You got more than what you bargained for, my girl "
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Whenver we started out the door and my grandmother thought we were inappropriately dressed for the weather she'd tell us....

You're going to catch your death of darn foolishness!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

One often said within my family was....
..." money speaks volumes " or, " money talks "

...both meaning the same, flash a bit of money around and they will take notice...

RAMMEL

I was just about to add that but found  " money talks " at #853
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Ahh, pipped again...seems I am now running out of family sayings...my father more often said " speaks volumes " rather than" talks "...

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...taking another stab at this...I am giving you two for the price of one... :P

" Good things come to those who wait...."

...in other words, be patient...and...

" Patience is a virtue..."

...meaning to wait for something without getting impatient or getting upset...

so_P_bubble

#967 " Patience is a virtue..."

#174 - All good things come to those who wait

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...think time for me to give up...we must by now have exhausted the whole lot...

so_P_bubble

not so sure Vanilla...

I was word gaming with friends and we were trying to find expressions with numbers.
Apparently we did not find some of these:

seven years of bad luck (When braking a mirror...)

in seventh heaven

in the third degree

nine day wonder

on cloud nine

fifth column

and they are all well known in daily talk.

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...well - done  :thumbup:

When one is daydreaming or distracted, they are said to be

" a million miles away "

If you are trying to explain to someone, but they are not interested...they might possibly say

" I dont give two hoots about it "

so_P_bubble

Vanilla, see: perseverance :)  I see none of yours on the list.
Let's see what Rammel says.

RAMMEL

My computer isn't working right and I'm in a grouchy mood so I'll come back to this later.

It seems like we are drifting from the original intent.  Are these we heard as younger ones.
Some like those listed - in seventh heaven,  in the third degree,  nine day wonder sound like everyday conversational statements. Like across the street,  down the lane,  high as a kite, also a  seven day wonder.

FWIW, I saw the original intent to be things that we heard or were said to us in a "constructive" manner/intent.

Why don't y'all bat it around for a while and I'll add those that you decide "fit the bill".
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, regarding "Seventh Heaven", I don't know that it was said in a constructive way, but it is something I heard from my early years.  When I was young, there was a movie, "Seventh Heaven" starring Janet Gaynor and Charles Ferrell.  I think people began to use the expression following that movie - said when things are going well for a person and they are content.  I use it on my cat when he purrs; he's in "Seventh Heaven".

I did not know until I did some research on the term that there might have been a TV show by that name, but that program definitely did not start the term.

I hope your computer is working OK now.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

Mary Ann,
I still can't see these short statements as qualifying (sorry).  To me they are like "in love", "bone tired", "cute kitty", "crazy man", "it's snowing out", ----  and on and on.

Computer is somewhat better. Did a big clean up, deleted some old stuff, defrag, regestry cleanup.  But I think I expect miracles. This is a Win-xp but I resist abandoning the sinking ship.  My ISP had an email problem for a day and a half which I thought was my puter failing but it mysteriously just started working again
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, I'm glad your computer is doing better.

I don't know that it makes a difference, nor that it even matters, but the only "thing" I use the Seventh Heaven expression on is the cat and I tell him "you're in seventh heaven" when I can hear his motor running.  Personally, I don't care if all, part or none of the expression is used, and I do use more than two words.  It may be so outdated that no one knows what it means any more.

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

Mary Ann, you are not outdated, I often hear that expression around me when utterly pleased. It's like the Nirvana place of some oriental religion :D

Mary Ann

Thanks, Bubble.  I really don't know any old expressions that have not already been posted, but I knew that one was old.

But I get Rick's point and I don't care if it is used or not.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

1083 - " she-he, doesn't mince her-his words "
1084 - "A woman's work is never done..."
   As I've heard it. ---   "A man may work from sun to sun but a woman's work is never done".
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...guessing we have now exhausted them, they have come to their end, all we seem to be doing now is repeats...and the worse thing is....we are the ones doing the repeating ourselves...  :-[

I shall remove them... :(

rutumi

Kats are krazy, kalm or kollected, but mostly kôôl

RAMMEL

adding -
1085 - "Wishing won't make it so."

This is a corrected number.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

on the previous page:
1075 - stumbling block (It's a. don't be a)
1076 - Never make a promise when you are happy
1077 - the wheel has come full circle
1078 - He's/You've got egg on your face.
1079 - Talking turkey
1080 - Now there's a cock and bull story
1081 - She can't keep two peas in her mouth.
1082 - That'll take the starch out of your pants.
so this new one should be 1083 methink.

Vanilla-Jackie

" Left a nice nest egg..."

...when he-she died, he-she left a nice nest egg, a lot of money...so he-she will be well looked after.....

RAMMEL

#6 - " good riddance to bad rubbish..."

Corrected the number error above.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

1086 - " The calm before the storm.."
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Often said when trouble is brewing...something has just been exposed and is about to get bigger...

" It is just the tip of the iceberg..."

rutumi

1076 - Never make a promise when you are happy

Do you also have "Don't go shopping for food when you're hungry"?
Kats are krazy, kalm or kollected, but mostly kôôl