Random Image

Cuddling

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Mini Challenge #83~COLLECTIONS

Started by Jeanne Lee, March 05, 2017, 04:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOT VOTING YET

"Queen Nefertiti" by Chia
"Handbags" by SnowWitch
"All that is left" by Jackwv
"Eskimo Birds" by PatH2
"Books" by so_P_bubble
"Chocolate" by    so_P_bubble
"irvory" by  so_P_bubble
"Masks" by  so_P_bubble
"Duncan Miller Swans" by FlaJean

so_P_bubble

Shirley, post something! even a collection of cats...

PatH - that man in tarbush comes from Turkey.  He is made from molded stiff leather. He is one of the two I have from that country.
The colored pastel woman is from Venice.
The two facing top ones are from Thailand.
The green malachite one is from Congo'
The Chinese one is made out of a horn
The colorful bottom one is from Sri Lanka.

angelface555

Bubble, I wish I could send you an Alaskan mammoth or mastodon ivory mask or one from whalebone, hair or stone.

http://fishcreekalaska.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=118

FlaJean

Duncan Miller Swans

FlaJean

I thought the entries were closed on the 19th, but then I read Bubbles note so I posted.  The above is part of my glass collection.

so_P_bubble

Angel, your link is not working :(

I love those glass dishes!

angelface555

Hmmmm, it works for me?

My mother had those glass pieces only in lavender. I don't know what became of them as she began to hide many things as her Alzheimers progressed.

so_P_bubble

The fishcreekalaska.com page isn’t working

fishcreekalaska.com didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This is what I get...

so_P_bubble

Beautiful! The ivory of course are superbly carved and priceless of course;  the baskets are very similar to South African local weaving;  my favorite masks would be those hanging on the window pane.  Are they skin/leather?

angelface555

Bubble, those are moose or caribou hide masks with moose hair trim. The ones looking like dried paper are sealskin and the ivory is mastodon. The only ones allowed by law to work with these materials and to sell them are verified Alaskan Natives.

The baskets are made of birch, brown. Or by whalebone, black; or by seagrass which has to be woven entirely underwater to ensure no grass breaking.

Joy

Jean,  I love your beautiful glass swans.   I think pretty glassware, of any kind, are my favorite.  I like pretty china, also, but I think anything glass is still my favorite.

Joy
BIG BOX

FlaJean

Thanks, Joy.  Most of my glass collections are still packed in boxes in the garage and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future.  :(

so_P_bubble

Jean, any more photos of the glass collection?  They are lovely.

so_P_bubble

Angel, you mean a private person could not use those materials for his own enjoyment and make masks for his own use? I would have enjoyed trying my hand with moose hide plus hair!  Unfortunately no moose  here!  Maybe camel would be similar but where to get it?

angelface555

There are rules, Alaskan made stickers, illegal use of those stickers, undercover operations and huge fines. You have to be an Alaskan Native to work with the material, carving, etc. or to sell what you have made. You can sell it to those, not of Native origin but they cannot claim it as their work, or sell it commercially themselves.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/publications/cultural-survival-quarterly/intellectual-property-protection-alaska-native-arts

SnowWitch

Quote from: Marilyne on March 20, 2017, 10:54:46 AM
SnowWitch:  Yay . . . Vera Bradley!  I can't resist those beautiful patterns.  Yesterday I ordered a Scottie Dog messenger bag!

Yes, they have been my main handbag collectible since I first discovered them years ago. Of course, I have other favs too.

PatH2

Angel, your link worked for me, and I'm glad to meet the spirit masks.  What is the symbolism of a smaller mask in the eye of the mask?  It sent shivers down my back, and I don't know why.  Is that a place you would order from?  I was tempted.

angelface555

It is a well-known store, but it deals mainly with art from  the Southeastern Alaskan Natives that are different Indian tribes. Up North you have more Aleut and Eskimo people as well as Athabaskan Indian's art in the Interior. There are many serious rules and regulations in the state, see my link in the earlier post. There is a wide, wide variety in Alaskan Native art and I would advise looking at a good representation before purchasing.

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/publications/cultural-survival-quarterly/intellectual-property-protection-alaska-native-arts

Natives believed in animal spirits and often had animal totems or clans that were for one animal or another. Here is the description for that mask and the story behind it.  "The shaman danced...part man, part bear spirit and sang his song to the booming of the drums, the howling of the cold winter winds.

The shaman enacted his unusual encounter with the black bear. There in the forest he had experienced... a humanlike spirit partly concealed behind the bear's dark hair...in the area of the bear's right eye.
Collected by Edward Nelson 1899, Sabotnisky

Hand Carved In Alaska from Black Cottonwood by Dave Hendren.
Trimmed with reindeer fur.

Approx Size from top of bear head to bottom of carving: 5 1/2" inches"

junee

Have really enjoyed the entries to Collections .  Just regret that it has finished in this way.

alpiner1

Quote from: junee on April 29, 2017, 11:24:49 PM
Have really enjoyed the entries to Collections .  Just regret that it has finished in this way.

Did I miss some thing ?

angelface555

The mini challenge has never closed or been open for voting on what was offered.

From the heading, "The challenge is open now and will be locked to uploads on Sunday, March 19th, 2017 and then we'll vote on them."   

junee

What a shame to see this competition end like this. 

jackwv

I always preferred "give me a picture of" and no need for voting.

so_P_bubble

Maybe we could open that discussion again...  it was quite fun.

Jeanne Lee

We can open it again if you'd all like to.  But interest seemed to have faded for that, as well.  The last "Show me... "  had been without an answer for several months before the crash.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

so_P_bubble

We could try to revive it.  It could replace the Computer Art discussion which never was used here.

angelface555

So many discussions are losing steam. How many will actually use it if the site for their own photos is becoming more of verbal discussion and this site fizzled out? Perhaps a site for discussing changes, wants and needs?

I am told by many that it is losing folks because of bullying and US bias.

jackwv

Jeanne Lee, we might try the "give me a photo of"  letting those in the regular Photo discussions know it is open.   I do not mind the limited discussions that pop up.      

FlaJean

The reason I don't post more photos is laziness.  :-[   I use my iPad almost completely for the Internet and enjoy my easy chair too much to go in the other room to the computer.  Just not able to resize to specifications on the iPad.  I exchange photos with Sato on iMessage but it is just a simple copy and send.

jackwv

Jean check out    http://www.shrinkpictures.com/   I use it all the time, and just checked to find it also on the pad.   Love your videos, need your photos.