Random Image

Birdbath

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

Sue, this was just in the news.  Don’t know much about it but wondered if you had read about.

Photographer: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg
EpiPen Failures Cited in Seven Deaths This Year, FDA Files Show
It’s not just about the price anymore. Complaints about the lifesaving device have doubled since 2016.
By Anna Edney
November 2, 2017, 3:00 AM CDT Updated on November 2, 2017, 10:03 AM CDT
Paulette saw it happen at the playground from several feet away, the panic-inducing moment in 2014 when her 3-year-old son Charlie, who has a life-threatening allergy to milk, grabbed a playmate’s sippy cup and took a gulp.

Thankfully, Paulette had the anaphylaxis-stopping EpiPen and was able to quickly use the auto-injector on her son. But when she pulled the needle from his thigh, it was sticking out of the device at an angle instead of being under an orange cover, leaving her unsure whether the lifesaving medicine had been administered. Not wanting to take

angelface555

Not wanting to take a chance, Paulette (who requested anonymity to protect her son’s identity) called 911, and Charlie was rushed to a hospital where he remained for several hours until doctors were sure he was all right.

“He was OK, but it was nerve-racking to say the least, not knowing if the EpiPen had worked or not,” she said.

Not everyone has been as lucky as Charlie.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-02/epipen-failures-cited-in-seven-deaths-this-year-fda-files-show

angelface555

Creamy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe; From Susan Hayes

Serves 6 | Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Cook Time: 10 Minutes

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons oil
1 Med onion, quartered
2 lbs skinless and boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs, cut into cubes (I often use a combo of both for different textures.)
1-2 package (depending on how strong you like your curry) (about 2-4 tablespoons) Thai red curry paste. (I like my curry to have a bit of heat, so I use medium heat.)
2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons fish sauce or salt to taste
1 can coconut milk
2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
Cilantro leaves (I haven’t bothered doing this most of the time.)

1-2 stalks of lemongrass

Instant Pot Method:

Turn on the Saute mode on your Instant Pot. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the chicken and saute until the surface of the chicken turns white.

Add the curry paste, red bell peppers, and bamboo. Saute for another minute, then add the chicken broth, fish sauce, and lemongrass.

Cover the pot, seal, and select manual pressure for 10 minutes.

When it’s finished cooking, you can use the quick release, but be aware of how full your pot is so you don’t end up clogging your vent with soup. You can always let it release normally. Once the valve drops, remove the lid with care.

Now you can add the coconut milk and lime juice to the soup. Remove the lemongrass stalks, stir well. Top with cilantro leaves and serve.

Slow Cooker method:

Saute the onion and chicken per above.

Add everything but the coconut milk and lime juice into the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours. Add in the last two ingredients once it’s done cooking.

Stovetop method

Saute the onion and chicken per above. Add to soup pot, combine other ingredients (again, hold back the lime and coconut until the very end) Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

angelface555

Mashed Potato Pie

READY IN: 55mins    SERVES: 8
UNITS: US
Ingredients

instant mashed potatoes
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 eggs, beaten
    1â,,2 cup parmesan cheese or 1â,,2 cup romano cheese
    1 1â,,4 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
    paprika

Directions

Make mashed potatoes according to package directions for 7-8 servings.
    Stir garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan and one cup of the mozzarella into prepared potatoes.
    Pile mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
    Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of paprika for color.
    Bake at 350°F until golden on top and puffy about 45 minutes.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/mashed-potato-pie-24217?ftab=reviews

angelface555

Sweet and Spicy Mustard Onion Relish

Sausage, hamburgers or turkey

http://kitchenbelleicious.com/2015/10/04/sweet-and-spicy-mustard-onion-relish/

Author: Kitchen Belleicious
Ingredients

2 Vidalia onions, juilenned
    4 TBSP vegetable oil
    2 fresh jalapenos, minced
    few dash hot sauce
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 clove fresh garlic, minced
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ¾ cup dark beer
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup Dijon mustard

Instructions

Directions:
    Add the onions and the vegetable oil to a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, and saute until soft. Stir in the black pepper, sea salt, vinegar, jalapenos, garlic and brown sugar until incorporated. Add half of the beer and let reduce until starting to get thick. Stir in the remaining beer and hot sauce and continue to reduce until the liquid is almost completely evaporated. Stir in the mustard and mix until combined.

angelface555

For those pesky turkey leftovers;

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/slow-cooker-chicken-pot-pie-soup/print/10483/

Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 4-6 hours on low Yield: 6 servings Category: Soup Method: Slow Cooker

Description
All the flavors from chicken pot pie in a soup! This super easy recipe is made in in your slow cooker. It can be made with raw chicken or leftover cooked turkey or chicken. Serve the soup topped with a biscuit to make it feel like the crust of a pot pie.
Ingredients

4 cups chicken broth
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    3 cups frozen hash browns (shredded or cubes)
    1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders OR 3 cups diced cooked turkey/chicken (leftovers work so great for this)
    3 oz cooked and crumbled bacon (I used the pre-cooked bacon bits available by the salad dressings and croutons)
    2 cups frozen peas (you could also use the frozen mixed veggies, peas was what I had on hand)
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    Salt to taste
    Biscuits to serve on the side, optional

Instructions

Add broth, mushrooms, hashbrowns, chicken, and bacon to slow cooker.
    Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours.  Remove lid and remove the chicken. Cut the chicken into cubes or shred it. Return the chicken to the slow cooker. Stir in the peas.
    Turn slow cooker to HIGH.  In a small bowl combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, stir until smooth.  Then stir cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker.  (keep lid off)
    Cube the cream cheese and add to the slow cooker.  Stir until melted.
    Let cook on HIGH until soup is thickened (probably about 10-15 minutes).
    Add pepper and salt to taste.
    Ladle into bowls and serve with biscuits.
Ideal slow cooker size:  4-5 quart
Recipe adapted from Soup’s On by Valerie Phillips

Joy

Here is the recipe for the Microwave Fudge:

Quick and Easy Microwave Fudge

1  lb.   10x confectioner's sugar
1/2  cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4  cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter  (1 stick)
2  tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup pecan halves  or other chopped nuts (optional)

Line a 8 x 8 x 2 in. baking pan or dish with foil
Sift together the 10x sugar and cocoa into a 2 qt. baking dish.  Add the evaporated milk and butter.   DO NOT  STIR TOGETHER
Place in the microwave.  Microwave for about 2 1/2 min. or until the butter is just about melted.
Add vanilla and stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
Pour fudge into the foil-lined pan and smooth over the top. Place in the freezer for about 10 min. to set. 
Cut into 64  (1 in.) pieces.  Place a pecan half on top of each piece or sprinkle with the nuts.
(It is very important to sift the sugar and cocoa together and mix it together so it isn't lumpy.
            MERRY CHRISTMAS !
BIG BOX

Joy

3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large cold egg, well beaten

Preheat oven to 350 º
Mix peanut butter and sugar.
Add in egg and mix well.
Drop by teaspoonful  and place on lightly sprayed or parchment-lined cookie sheet about 2 in. apart.
Press down gently in criss cross with a fork.
Bake for about 8-9 minutes  or until the edges are golden brown.  Be sure to cool the cookies completely or they will crumble if you try to remove them too soon.

Makes about a dozen.   You can double or triple the ingredients to make more,
These are soft and chewy in the middle with a bit of crunch around the edge ...

A real milk dunker cookie!!

Add 1/4 cup choc. chips to make them extra good !

These are surprisingly good !!
BIG BOX

angelface555

Thanks, Joy, these sound so good! I've saved both of them!

angelface555

I don't know about anyone else, but these sound perfectly horrid to me!

Here's the recipe:

2 oz. Raspberry liqueur
1 oz. Gin or Vodka
1 oz. Lemon lime soda or 7Up
1 oz. Cranberry Juice
Gummy Bears
Toothpick
Limes, Candy Canes etc. or other garnish as desired

Combine the liquids in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with gummy bears and if desired add a few more bears to your glass for a liquor infused tasty sensation. Add mini candy canes and lime as desired.

CHEERS!

FlaJean

Fixing our big meal of the day.  Yesterday I cooked a roast and we had roast beef sandwiches so today having some sliced roast beef, baked potatoes and asparagus.  The baked potatoes are cooking in the oven and I’m getting hungry.

Mary Ann

Jean, I'd love the roast beef; I'm too "scotch" to buy a roast but I love them.

I'm not so sure about Patricia's Christmas drink.  I know I'd leave out the gummy bears and i'm not sure about other ingredients.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Both of you have late afternoon times and I have 11:14 AM and the sun just rose!

I saw that recipe on a Christmas blog and thought I would definitely pass!   :buck2:

I would buy a roast if I could get several meals out of it. I purchase some petite steaks, set of three, cut each of those into three pieces and it gives me nine meals for 16 dollars.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I would have help eating a roast because Tom would be here too.  Maybe even Annie.  What I really want is a chuck roast and cook some potatoes with the roast, along with onions and carrots.  My kind of meal.   The prices are too steep for me which is why I haven't had Tom get one.  He did get a roast some time ago, not a chuck roast, and it was quite dry.  We seem to specialize in chicken, sometimes pork chops.  Tom doesn't like fish so I don't ask him to get that but when I eat out, I often get fish. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - That drink sounds disgusting! *GAG*  What a strange mixture of ingredients?  None seem to go together.  All too cloyingly sweet, except for the hard liquor.  I'd much rather take the gin or vodka and make a Martini. :)

angelface555

Marilyne, that's what I thought and why I had to post it. I am more of a rum and coke or VO and water type of girl altho I've read books in which a character drinks Lemon Drops which is evidently a type of vodka drink? That sounds interesting.

angelface555

MaryAnn, I'm not a fan of canned carrots or other canned vegetables, but like you, I really like roasted onions, carrots, and potatoes. It's a comfort food for me.

We tended to have regular meals in our family as both parents worked. For example, Saturday was spaghetti or meatloaf or a similar tomato-based food where mom could use up the leftovers. Wednesday was always a type of stroganoff and Sunday was always a roast along with roasted vegetables. Now, it wasn't always beef, but it was always good!

Mary Ann

Patricia, when we were a family, we had a roast on Sunday with various vegetables and mashed potatoes, probably pie as dessert.  This was even after my mother died.  When Norm married and lived away from our home, Dad and I kind of kept up that schedule and we'd work off the roast all week.  When I was alone, I ate some frozen dinners but now I have a couple in the freezer "just in case" but I'd rather have a meat sandwich instead of a full meal.  I do think my appetite is smaller than it used to be.

Your mention of certain meals on certain days, it reminded me of a cousin in Indianapolis (not Joan, Jim's wife, but Joan's brother and his wife) who had certain things on certain nights.  My aunt lived with one cousin for a month and the other cousin for a month and when she was with the one cousin and his wife, she knew what she'd be having on any given night.  Every Monday was the same, every Tuesday and so on. 

Another memory with that same cousin - he was a great sports fan and when I'd visit, he'd have two TVs going plus a radio to hear all of the sports in the area.  They always said Grace before a meal.  This one time I was there for supper and the TVs and radio were going as we sat down to eat.  My cousin started Grace and something happened in one of the games and you could hear his voice getting lower and slower until he stopped and was listening to what was going on in the game.  He did not finish Grace because we all got to laughing. 

Watching the Weather Channel tonight, nothing about the CA fires, but everything about the snow in the SE and South.  We do have some snow and Tom is driving tonight but the weather is not that bad here.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Thanks for the information on Epipens.  I am very allergic to bee and wasp stings and keep an Epipen handy.  The one I have now is 2 years old and I should return it to my Kroger Pharmacy and trade it in.  If I see bees or wasps on my flowers when I'm outside, I go inside.  Unfortunately the Senator from West Virginia's (my home state) daughter has become an executive with Epi-pen and prices have sky rocketed.  My insurance pays for mine, but all public schools (at least here in Alabama) must have one or two on hand because of children's allergies.  I think it's criminal for this company to jack the price up, especially for schools.  (And my exterminator who comes to spray outside and in from March through October is especially on the lookout for any bee or wasp nest). 

Sorry to get on my soap box, but I am very upset about this!
Sue

angelface555

It is that way across the board and recently passed laws making it illegal to try and block some of these larger companies from doing whatever they wish. There has also been fairly recent legislation towards criminalizing whistleblowers!

FlaJean

I cut off part of my roast today and made some vegetable beef soup.  It has turned so chilly that the soup really hit the spot and plenty left for a cold day tomorrow.

donklan

Looking for a recipe for 'Crusty Bread' that I thought I saw in this Forum.

Used 'search' but it didn't show up.

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

angelface555

This is what Google came up with. Many recipes and ideas are shown.

FlaJean

DonKlan,  This is the Crusty Bread that was in the forum some time back.  I made it once and it was very good.  I did use an iron pot but one of the women said she used an aluminum pot and it worked just fine.
I had copied it in a screen shot and didn't want to write it out so made a photo of it the recipe.

[attachimg=1]

donklan

Thank You Jean...that's the one.

donklan

Didn't see a link PAT...........

donklan

THANK YOU.........

I'll check them out.

JeanneP

Jean. I just got one of the Air fryers. Can bake in them it says so going to try that bread one.
JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP, have you cooked any French fries yet?  I saw where you cook them without oil?  I’m wondering how they would taste.