Random Image

Tiger In A Tree

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

Maybe you know some one who has a plant and willing to give you a branch...

donklan

Hi FlaJean........My wife and I share that same date.      8/25/56

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

FlaJean

Donklan, a belated happy anniversary! 🎶🎶

jackwv

Problem posting, know it is me.   Nice day, went for a haircut then walked a block to the river front.   Posting two photos.  That is not me in the chair and I did not take a seat.  Did not want the geese to leave (or chase me)

jackwv

[attachimg=1]

jackwv

[attachimg=1]

Mary Ann

Good pictures, Jack.  We have too many Canada geese in our area and I do not like them.  They are so dirty.  I like that bridge in the background of the second picture.  It makes me think of the Sunshine Bridge south of Tampa in Florida that we'd take occasionally when I would be visiting Norm and Dot.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Jack, you take such nice soothing pictures. I feel like I could just go to one of those chairs and close my eye and dream.

The geese make some mess on the golf course.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

jackwv

Mary Ann and Lin, that is a restful spot, but can do without the geese.  Oglebay does not permit feeding the geese or ducks, and drive them away without killing them.   That old bridge has quite a history, here is a short piece about it.  Have walked and driven across it many times.  Pittsburgh did not want it built since it would limit river traffic, but wheeling prevailed.

In 1854, the bridge was destroyed by a wind storm and the legal battle began again as soon as work on a replacement was started. Pittsburgh again appealed to the Supreme Court but, this time, Wheeling won. The new bridge was completed in 1856. At the time, it was the first suspension bridge of its kind in the world and, until the completion of the Brooklyn Bridge, was the longest in the country. Today, it is the oldest suspension bridge still in use and a National Landmark. The Historic American Engineering Record has called the Wheeling Suspension Bridge "the most important extant antebellum civil engineering structure in North America.''

Mary Ann

Thanks for the piece about the bridge, Jack.  Who knows, I might have ridden across it?  I'm sure my dad would have driven to Ohio in the time he was in Wellsburg.  Or was there a bridge at Wellsburg?  We were there in 1950 and I remember very little of that visit, just saw the place I was born in and also a visit with a friend of Dad's.  Oh, I remember being on the Bethany Pike where we went thru a tunnel and had to honk before the tunnel to warn other drivers.

Mary Ann

jackwv

Mary Ann back in your fathers time believe that was the only bridge.  With interstate 70 they build another bridge just a few blocks north that now carries most of the traffic.   Do  not believe Wellsburg had a bridge to Ohio.  Now the choice is south to Wheeling or north to Weirton/Steubenville.  Know my Shirley's parents went from Pittsburgh to Wellsburg to get married and took a short trip across the river to Brilliant Ohio.  The ferry was discontinued years ago. 

Mary Ann

Thanks, Jack.  We never discussed that phase.  And I have no recollection of how we got to Wellsburg in 1950 or how we left it. 

Mary Ann

jackwv

MaryAnn, one last word on Wellsburg and bridge.  I recall there was talk about a new bridge and looked it up.   Starting April 2018 they are to start a 131 million dollar bridge to Brilliant Ohio with completion 2021.   Hope some day I can take a video crossing it.

Mary Ann

I'm sorry I'll be too old to travel to see that bridge.  Lots of money for things these days, isn't it!

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Nice photos, Jack.  Interesting piece about the bridge.

SCFSue

Thanks for the information about the covered bridge, Jack.  Is it still in service?

Sue

jackwv

Sue yes it is in use.  Posting an old photo of a small tug boat passing.   You will see a car on the right.  On the left are traffic lights and they tell drivers to leave a large space between cars.  Want to avoid traffic stopping bumper to bumper and too much weight.  Just beyond it can be seen the I 70 bridge  that carries most of the traffic.  

[attachimg=1]

SCFSue

Thanks for the additional information, Jack.  I'm glad they didn't tear the old bridge down.  BTW, I enjoyed the picture of the tug boat going up the river.  It reminds me of my early days at my Grandmother's home--which was on the Coal River as it moved into the Kanawha. 

I had an aunt, who when widowed, got a job on a river boat as a cook.  She enjoyed the job and it paid well.  I don't think my uncle who died unexpectedly probably had enough money left for her to survive without that job.

Sue

Sue

jackwv

Tonights photos, she loves to pose.

[attachimg=1]

Shirley

Love the photos, Jack, especially your beauty!  She just oozes happy!  I'm with bridges like you are up high....  my heart quits beating until I get on the other side, no kidding.  I'd be terrified going over that one with the weight warnings.  We crossed one bridge somewhere in TN that actually did fall just a few months later & cars went down & people drowned.  We had bridges to cross going to my grandmother's house & many times the river very high (MO.River).... long bridge & long lines of cars.  But I do love history & links to the past so would enjoy seeing it.  Your part of the country has so much history and many things to see, wish I was 20 years younger. My daughter was asking me tonight if I was ready for a dog & what kind..... not ready and right now would jump at the chance to bring home a Mimi, but she is one of a kind! 

Mary Ann, I was thinking about Norm and Papa John..... what fun they had teasing each other.  I'm sure you & Dot miss their antics. 

Vanilla-Jackie

Jack wv...
...I really like this photo, you chose the perfect setting surrounding her...that's what I like to see, a happy dog...and she is happy, bless her...
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

regal pose of Mimi in a nice setting.  Perfect photo!

jackwv

Shirley I have walked over that bridge several times.  Bad enough that you can see along the side but the deck for the cars are grating and if you look down you see right thru it.

Jackie and Bubble, thanks, Mimi always strikes that pose.  She wants to meet everyone and will sit leaning against them for a pat.  She is a magnet for folks and gives me a chance to make conversation, especially with visitors.

SCFSue

Jack, there is nothing like a friendly dog to help you make new friends, is there?  When Stubby died I was so heartbroken that I didn't want to replace him.  Not long after that I fell from my roof where I was cleaning the gutters and injured my back, so had to spend almost 3 months in rehab hospitals before my sons would let me come home.  Now I wish I had a new dog as I'm walking quite a bit--but it would need to be a mature dog which would walk nicely on a leash.  I keep thinking about it--and perhaps some day I'll look again.

Sue

jackwv

Sue, Mimi at 70 pounds might be a little more than I can handle, but sold on the goldens.   You might look at the Cavalier King Charles.  That is the one the gal we met years back bred.  Understand low energy but great companions.  They probably even have a rescue site.

JeanneP

Sue. I think that a dog would be good for you.  Now Jack say his is a big dog but I think Goldens are a gentle dog, (Most I have been close to) Specially if trained like Jacks. Some breeds really active. I had a shelty for 13 years who was good size but so good. They like to be by your side and not running. GS just lost his miniature shelty last year.  I also love the Doxies I had but they seem to be like children. Walk along but after awhile want picking up.  They are short but sort of heavy. much work as a Golden.

Shirley. Don't know how you do it with all your cats. You seem to like them with you.

I miss having a dog. Traveled so much in the past that it became a problem. Even the Parrot stops me from going a lot. Like the company though
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

I wonder if this chart will help in picking the right dog to suit ones needs and lifestyle....it may help in the choosing process...

http://www.dogbreedchart.com/
" There is no present like the time "

jackwv

Up to the park at sundown.  Took this with the iPhone, and was able to get the moon peeping out.
                [attachimg=1]

jackwv

The storms are past and a beautiful day.   Lots going on in the old town.  Speed boat racing on the river, took a photo from across the river showing the staging area and just north of us that old bridge.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

jackwv

Oglebay was packed.  They are having reenactments today at one end of the park, but no parking available, and have seen it in prior years.   On the walk path the Symphony was warming up for tonights free concert followed with fireworks.  I have seen it in past years and will stay home tonight to watch WVU football.    Made the rounds and after seeing Mimi in the pose below, knew it was time for a long walk.

[attachimg=1]