Random Image

Easter Surprise

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of April 10

Started by JoanFL, April 10, 2016, 04:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Good morning, Kelly.

Amy--Good morning.  I was hoping you wouldn't have to have any more dates with the shovel.  Travel safely on the bad roads.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Joan, I stood the shovel up and used the snowblower, fickle I am :2funny: Snow was too heavy and now it is raining on it so out came Mr SB
I do hope this is the last for this winter!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Annie of all "people" woke me up this morning.  She must have really had to go!  She's the one who would sleep in till noon if I did.  Mickie is usually up and at 'em.  She was very gentle about it.  She shoved her nose in my face and gave me a very wet kiss to wake me.  Not a bad way to be awakened.

I'm going to lunch with my former coworkers at PA House Furniture today.  I really enjoy getting together with them.  They're a nice bunch of ladies. 

Haven't heard anything about Sarah yet this morning but I'm sure Philip has his hands full getting Kiran ready for school.  Sarah usually helps Kiran lay out clothes for school the night before so it will be interesting to see what kind of outfit they come up with this morning.

Doggies are getting restless.  Must be time to fee them.  I'll get my coffee, too.  BBL

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning everyone.
Jane did i miss ? did you retire?
enjoy and have a great day.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/PpjBOmJUahs?rel=0

Lloyd

JoanFL

Amy--Maybe if you stand up both the shovel and snowblower, they'll get irate and no more snow will come for them to "date".

Good morning, Janie.  I'd say that kiss is a really nice way to be awakened.  Enjoy your lunch with your former coworkers.  I pray Sarah is improving.

Lloyd--Good morning.  Thanks for the link.  That's beautiful.

Kelly

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

We had some rain during the night.  Must have been gentle, heard no thunder or no lightening that I am aware of.  Hope we got enough to do some good.

Amy, I remember the year I went to Canada and we were staying in a motel looking for a place to live, it was May and I looked out and it was snowing to beat the band.  Being an old Texas boy I was fascinated, although I had seen snow in June in Cheyenne Wyoming in 1950.  And I saw a mixture of snow, sleet and rain and some very cold weather later in the year while living there in Canada.

Janie, I hope Annie had brushed her teeth before giving you that wet kiss....

Joanie, hope your day goes well for you.  Nothing scheduled here, that I am aware of.

Morning Kevin, did you see the post I made last night on "Peculiar" as applied to the crown.  Also there was one by Callie.  One of those "peculiar" things in life.

Well coffee ought to be ready, as usual, anyone care to join me you are welcome.

phyllis

Callie, I just reserved "The Road to Little Dribbling".  It sounds like something I will enjoy.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Cloudy but supposed to be warmer today.  Laundry to be done.....as usual.

phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Lloyd, no I am not retired.  I'm still on leave following surgery on my foot in February.  Probably will be returning to work next week.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, raining again, not much today but more again tomorrow with strong winds again. April is living up up it's reputation for rain. I am here at the PC but sure don't feel awake yet. Maybe a day to go back to bed.  Don't feel like talking either.

JOAN  will pass the gull breakfast this morning, I think tummy would not enjoy it. Even my coffee didn't so poured it out. Simple Community reminds me how this town was when I first moved her 65 years ago. A small town where people who lived here worked here. Then mills closed and the older generation started dieing and city people started moving in and wanting here what they had in the cities.  No more peace and quiet. More absentee landlords and new houses. Progress is now always good. Thanks for today's goodies.

Kelly  good morning.

AMY  no more snow wanted here
JANE good morning

LLOYD  good morning.

HAL  good morning.

PHYLLIS  good morning.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  We still haven't had any rain.  Weatherguessers say it'll start on Wed.  Not much on my schedule either.  Mondays the oxygen delivery tech comes to refill my liquid oxygen and on the afternoon the Eucharistic Minister from church comes.

Phyllis--Good morning.  I have laundry to do, too.

Janie--You'd better "make hay while the sun shines" if you have to return to work next week.

Good morning, Gloria.  Sorry you aren't feeling well.  Hope if you rest today you will feel better.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Today started out for me at 52 degrees and is to get to 75 this afternoon, another beautiful day.  I have a light schedule for today.  I plan on attending a meeting at noon today and will stop at Target either as I go to the meeting or afterwards to get some gardening tools.  I really enjoyed the golf tournament yesterday and its very surprising finish.  I felt for Jordan Spieth as his game fell apart toward the end after having led the tournament for three days and it looked like he was going to win again yesterday. 

Joan, it would be interesting to get your friend's reaction to their week in Augusta and being at the Master's.  I sure wouldn't have wanted to be on the course, especially during the very chilly morning and windy and cool afternoons.  Yesterday afternoon was probably much more enjoyable.  The weather sure didn't keep the thousands from attending. 

Kelly, do the Manx laws ever get disapproved by the Queen?

deAngel, your son sold lemonade from his stand before local governments started licensing and regulating everything like children's lemonade stands. The major impact I noticed in our little town just across the river from the Master's Golf Course was we had a lot fewer in church the last two weeks and it was not only the tourney but also was spring break and many people left town. 

JaneS, glad you were able to attend Kiran's first piano recital.  I still remember playing in an annual recital, which was not my favorite thing to do.  Sure hope that there is nothing seriously wrong with your DIL.  (I see your later postings about it being related to her tonsils.)

Sandy, I use the same Chrome browser and the spell check works the same for me as it does for you. 

Joy, I have used computers for over 30 years and still am learning new things and new ways of doing things.  This often comes from what someone here describes in terms of a procedure to follow. 

Callie, not all dealings with our cable companies are bad.  In fact, I have usually found the people I talk to very pleasant, although may not always be helpful if their script doesn't deal with the problem I need help with at the moment.   

Amy, I agree about the joys of spring on the farm and the new born animals, which are always so cute.  Did you every raise pigs and see the little piglets? 

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  Our weather us similar to yours.  The neighbors who go to the Masters usually have a leisurely trip coming home, so they probably won't get here until tomorrow.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone... 

It is cloudy  with showers here today on
the Rocky Coast of Maine. 
And so it goes!

I am so glad that so many people can use
the spell check that I use ...   It sure helps!

Wishing Everyone a very good day

Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

June Drabek

Good Morning dear ones. Had a good night and a happy awakening. Did my daily readings, did my therapy exercises and massage of these arms and legs that are harmed by clogged arteries, and thankful I can do something to help myself.

Amy, you are the best. I can see that you get Joy from the natural beauties of life. New life, both in animals and all of nature. Even out there dancing with your snow shovel. You are most inspiring. Thank you my friend.

Hal, thank you but I already had my first cup of coffee and now indulging in a big bowl of frosted flakes with a sliced banana. That is a "lotta" food, but my banana is very ripe so had to use the whole thing.

Gloria, I hope your day improves as it goes along. I will happily take your rain..sun is bright here. Maybe you should look into Sr. Living near where Regina will be living. Plenty of sunshine in Arizona.

Bis, It's a slow day here today, I may go down for a movie at 1:30, otherwise I will do some walking, and letter writing. Also need to gather up some stuff to take down to our Bargains and Blessings shop. I brought too many linens with me that I don't need.

Larry, It will be nice here too. 71/55. Sun is shining brightly. You mentioned buying garden tools, are you planning on planting some seeds ?
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Beverly

Good morning everyone. (Actually it's noon but I'm a late starter!)

Joan - I really enjoyed Simple Community. It sounds a lot like the town where I grew up  during the 40s and 50s, pop. 2,000. My brother still lives there and the population hasn't changed much. Thanks for all the "goodies" you post.

Another nice day here with no special plans..........

JoanFL

Sandy--You could send some rain our way.  There are so many brush fires--many causing home evacuations.

June--I left all my bed linens behind because here I have beds (king, queen, 2 singles) that are different than any I had in Arkansas.

Beverly--Glad you liked "Simple Community".  If you'd like to be an early starter like I am, I could call you when I get up (about 4 a.m.) :)

JaneS

Back from lunch...we talked about anything and everything and had salad and pizza for lunch.  It's so good to see all the gals that I put in my time with.  It was such a nice place to work with all of us supporting one another and having lunch out reminds me of the fun times we did that for lunch when we were all working there.

However, I think the sofa is calling my name.  I might have to squeeze in a nap before I pick up Kiran.  Have a good rest of the afternoon, Everyfriend!

Amy

Larry, no I didn't have a sow to raise piglets but I once bought a "runt" at the sales barn and raised him . Called him Hector...raised him to a good size...he would sit for a piece of bread and I would ask him if he wanted a tummy rub and he would lay over....and yes I rubbed his tummy for him .
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

angelface555

With the re occurring discussion here on British overseen lands and customs along with the difference between American English and British English, I thought of that when I saw this book on Amazon today.

British English from A to Zed: A Definitive Guide to the Queen's English Kindle Edition
by Norman W. Schur (Author)

Whether you are traveling to Great Britain or just want to understand British popular culture, this unique dictionary will answer your questions. British English from A to Zed contains more than 5,500 British terms and their American equivalents, each with a short explanation of the term’s history and an example of its use. The appendixes provide valuable supplemental material with differences between British and American pronunciation, grammar, and spelling as well as terms grouped in specific areas such as currency, weight, and numbers.

This dictionary will help you unravel the meanings of:

• Berk (idiot)
• Bevvied up (drunk)
• Crisps (potato chips)
• Erk (rookie)
• To judder (to shake)
• Noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe)
   And more!

George Bernard Shaw famously said that the British and Americans were “two peoples separated by a common language.” This book bridges that gap.

Beverly

Joan - Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass.  :) At 4 a.m. today I had been in bed for 3 hours. I'm usually in bed by 11:00 or 12:00.

Angelface - Do you remember all the words and phrases Gladys used? She gave us a chuckle with the different meanings. I met her at some of the bashes. Great lady and I think of her often.

JoanFL

Janie--Glad you enjoyed your lunch with your work friends from long ago.  My couch called me, and my nap is over.

Amy--I am picturing you rubbing Hector's tummy. :) :)

angelface--I'm not familiar with those words, but remember Gladys had some that made is giggle.

Beverly--I go to bed around 10 p.m. and the TV lulls me to sleep.  As you can see from above, I well remember Gladys and some of her sayings.

Kelly

Hi Larry
Regarding Manx Laws, very rarely.

Kelly

Kelly

Hi angel
Some of the English words you used are slang words.  And many of the proper words would be said the same in the UK, Isle of Man and America.

Now Cockney rhyming slang, now that is different!!

Kelly

angelface555

I do remember Gladys and her climbing out of the window to reach her garden because it was easier. I also remember well her writing me about her nephew living in Wasilla and did I know him? She never understood that our two towns were 400 miles apart over a couple of mountain ranges. But her love of family, life and curiosity came out full bore! I miss hearing from her and seeing her posts.

JoanFL

JeanneP

I also miss Gladys so much.  She and I were from the same area of UK. Went to a lot of the place I did as young women.  Most probably danced next to her on a Saturday night as we went at the same time.  Wish I had known her back then.  She loved life.
JeanneP

Gloria

JOAN  I did hardly anything today. I had an Ensure for my breakfast this morning and that was it. For supper I made an egg sandwich. Wasn't hungry but knew I had to eat something so scrambled a couple of eggs.

LARRY  we have not had a whole sunny day in a week. Either cloudy and damp or raining.  No wonder I don't feel like doing anything.

JUNE  my roots are here and that is where I will stay. I would not be able to start over in a strange place. I like my 4 seasons too much.

BEVERLY  I grew up in a city and moved here when I got married. Now I do not want to go into a city for anything. This town has grown in 65 years but there are still country roads with only 1 highway going through.

JANE  glad you had a fun lunch with those old coworkers. Hope you got that nap before picking Kiran up. Any news about your DIL?

ANGEL We had friends and he wife was from England. We got some laughs at some of the things she said when she first came here. I think we all miss Gladys.

Have a good night everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Kelly

Hi Gloria
Sorry I missed sending you a message today on S&F.

Goodnight.

kelly

mycheal

Good evening Everyfriend,

Late I am but am up to date on all posts which I find very interesting and happy most live a casual let social life in retirement or nearing it.

Great day in good ole Iowa, bit windy but the “predictors” promise the end of that after today and the next 8 or so days clear sailing with sun  fun and warmer each and every day.

So do have a great nights slumber, wake to bright sunshine and a big ole smile on you face ready to take on the day with a Positive progressive mentality :) Make it happen today go visit and/or call a friend you have not in a long time..

Mycheal