Random Image

Fi Mommy and Daddy

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:52:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Its that time of year again....This is the time all your American Christmas films are shown on our UK channel 5 in the afternoons and I am a real sucker for watching them...Oh I dont care if they are make-believe - " Romantic Fantasy, " I get so much enjoyment in watching them, even if I watched many this time last year, and the year before...They seem to be showing two per day...the one I have just finished watching is " Journey Back to Christmas..." a time warped journey of course with a happy ending...
I have recorded all for this week and will watch the ones that appeal to me, the ones that show the real old fashioned Christmas...
" There is no present like the time "

Lindancer

Jackie, if they are HallMark movies, most ohem are feel good shows. In this serious word. I enjoy watching fantasy and light movies,  I have had enough tragedy in my life, I sure do not want to watch more.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

I dont know if they are " Hallmark " movies but they do this every year leading up to Christmas, and I watch many of them, the ones that show the True values of Christmas, even if the stories are far fetched...the decked out house with Christmas lights, the families - people, the person who still believes in Christmas, the snow, the carol singers...of course I will watch them when I am alone and I am at peace...yes it transports me to the kinds of Christmas I would rather be having...In my opinion, our American friends know how to do Christmas more than their UK companions...

SCFSue

I am a fan of Hallmark movies, too.  They have happy endings and the characters are believable.  If there is no movie on TBS that I wish to watch, I'll check out the Hallmark channel.  I'm not fond of movies with terror, grief, etc. 

Sue

Marilyne

It's been way too long since I've posted here in the Television folder.  I have seen a number of good shows this past month, and I hope you all have too?  This time of year, when it gets dark so early, and too cold to go outside, I do spend more time in front of the TV.

For all those who enjoy sports, there are lots of choices in the Fall. My husband watches college football every Saturday, and hockey, practically every night!  We're both San Jose Sharks fans, so I often join him.  He doesn't watch pro-football anymore at all, and also doesn't care for pro-basketball.

I didn't see much over the Thanksgiving weekend.  The only show I sat down and enjoyed, was the National Dog Show.  I always watch it every year.  My favorite dogs didn't win this year, but I like them all. :thumbup:   

Now I'm getting ready for the vintage Christmas movies on TCM and other channels.  Of course, It's a Wonderful Life, is always tops on my list, but I also like White Christmas, Holiday Inn, and Christmas in Connecticut.  One that I recommend every year, and think you would all enjoy, is Remember the Night, starring Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, and others. There is a wonderful sequence in the movie, when Sterling Holloway sings, When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day. Worth watching the movie, to hear him sing.  Many of you remember him in later years, as the "voice" of many of the Disney characters . . . Winnie the Pooh, and others.   Anyway, if you are at all interested in watching this movie, it's playing on Turner (TCM) on December 22, at 5:00 pm, here on the West Coast.  That would be later times for the rest of the country.  I plan to record it on my DVR and watch it later that evening, and maybe another day as well.

Vanilla-Jackie

News story just been on our tv..if this story doesn't put a smile on your face, I dont know what will...I often think children are the bravest of the brave...and the young man concerned got his wife...Link to video clip...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46350467/boy-10-meets-his-superman-life-saver

Marilyne

Jackie, that's a wonderful story!  With so much hate in our world right now, it made me feel hopeful. There are still good, unselfish people out there who want to do the right thing.  The young man, (the donor), was so sweet and so calm.  The grateful mother reacted as most of us would under those circumstances! The little boy looks strong and healthy, and I hope that he stays that way.

Lindancer

Again rain,cold cloudy and high wind advisory[

I enjoyed the weekend movies and yesterday.  Thanksgiving I watch the Macy's parade and dog show. Then my DIL called and said the original Secret Garden was on.]That story was my first bound book  (12)I every received. A few years ago my DIL found the book and gave it to me for Christmas. I know it is suppose to be a child's book, but I enjoyed it again.
Now for movies I have just watched and they all were originals The Bishops Wife. White Christmas, Holiday inn and at 2AM (i could not sleep) to top it off.  Miracle on  34th Street .  To Top it all off Hans Christian Anderson,

I plan to watch One Special NIght, with James Garner and Julie Andrews, one of my favorite, I have the tape

Lindancer

[I thought I changed the time. it is suppose to be 2:27

Lindancer

[Oh ! now I see it is working

Marilyne

Callie - I saw your message in Soda Shoppe, about the new musical version of, Holiday Inn, and I'm wondering what channel it was on? I haven't seen it, and would love to.  I'm very fond of the old 1942 movie, and would like to see how it was updated?  I also like White Christmas, and watch it every year, but there's something about the original version with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, that like a little better.  I'm not a big fan of Danny Kaye, and always wished that Fred had been in cast in the remake, instead of Danny.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  it was on my PBS channel and was a stage production of a Broadway musical titled "Holiday Inn".    I'm not familiar with the 1942 movie but this one referred to 1947.  Nothing military and every holiday was celebrated with a major number.
LOTS of Irving Berlin songs - almost solidly singing and dancing with fabulous choreography.
I loved it
!

Marilyne

Callie - The 1942 movie, Holiday Inn, plays on TCM around Christmas time, as well as at Easter and the Fourth of July. I features all Irving Berlin songs, for the different holidays throughout the year.  The song White Christmas was introduced that year, and being as WWII was going on, it was extremely popular. It won the Academy Award for best song.

The song for Valentine's Day, is Be Careful, It's My Heart, The lyrics are so clever in that one. Of course Easter is Easter Parade.  My favorite, is the Firecracker Dance, by Fred Astaire . . . Spectacular!  Irving Berlin's Oh How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning, was featured for one of the military holidays.  I think Irving B, sang it himself, but not sure? I've seen him sing it, but I don't remember in what movie?

I'll check my two PBS channels, and see if the stage production of Holiday Inn will be shown again.  I hope so. 
You can take a look at this IMBD for the movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/?ref_=nv_sr_1

CallieOK

Marilyne,  the PBS program follows the 1942 film.  The actor who played the Fred Astaire character isn't as sophisticated as Fred but he is one heck of a tap dancer!  I thought I caught a few Astaire moves in his main solo.  Now I know why  :)

Marilyne

Callie - I found the PBS production of "Holiday Inn", playing here on Dec. 23, at midnight.  I tried to record it, but couldn't go that far forward on my DVR, so I'll leave myself a reminder! (Famous last words!)
I see that the 1942 movie, is playing on TCM on Dec. 8, if you're interested.  It's on here at 5:00 PM PST. That would be 7:00 PM for you I think?

CallieOK

Marilyne,  thanks for the "heads up" about the 1942 version.  We can compare notes after we've both seen each one.

Vanilla-Jackie

Just watched another Christmas film on tv, " The Christmas Train," good to see Danny Glover playing a part...another Christmas film I tremendously enjoyed...Just another two dozen or so to play catch up on...all recorded of course...

FlaJean

Spent all morning watching the George H W Bush funeral.  All the speakers were good, especially George W about his dad.

JeanneP

Jean.
I watched the whole 3 hours of the funeral also. I thought one of the best ones I have watch. So well done. They say that he put the whole thing together himself.  I never knew that this is something that a President has to do soon as gets in office. Works on it . Called Funeral File. Looked at as time goes bye with changes. All who got up to say words managed to put some humor Into it. He was a man with humor. Don't think is son has it.  Did not know he had some many in Family 
JeanneP

Marilyne

Jackie - The Christmas Train,  is my favorite Hallmark movie.  I have others that I look forward to as well, but can't recall the titles right now?  I don't know if you get the Turner Classic Movies channel, but if so, the Christmas movies from the 1940's and 50's, are fun to watch, and are also, "feel good" stories.

I watched President Bush's memorial service on Wednesday, from Washington DC, and thought it was a wonderful tribute to a fine man.  I was unable to watch the service yesterday, from Texas. Our electricity was out,  off and on all day, because of repair work in the poles and lines. I was disappointed that I couldn't see the funeral.

Last night we saw an old movie on Turner, called The Naked City, from about 1946.  We've seen it before, but it's a clever story, and worth seeing again.  It stars, (of all people), Barry Fitzgerald, as a police Captain in NYC.  The point of the story, is to show how a crime was solved, and to show real live sweeping scenes of NYC.  Of course, since 1946, things have changed and improved, as to crime solving, but it was interesting to see how things were done back then.  Now, crowded city scenes are commonplace in movies, but it was not done back then. This was the first.  The "bad guy" in the film, was played by Howard Duff.  Anyone else remember him?     

FlaJean

I remember Howard Duff.  I don't remember anything specific he was in, but he sure was good looking.

RAMMEL

Marilyne,
Nothing to do with the current discussion, ----but----I was rummaging around in my computer today and I ran across an old SeniorNet thing.  Remember the "Marty From Miami" story?  I printed it out for my son to read. Now that it is printed I will take it to my comfy chair and read it again.  When I think of marty I also recall Mort Kail (sp) --- both gone now :(
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - Yes, I remember Marty's life story!  I also printed it out, and have it stored around here somewhere?  He was an interesting guy . . . one of a kind! He didn't join us here in S&F, but I kept in touch with him until he passed away a couple of years ago. Mort Kail was such a nice, friendly man.  He was so proud of his military service during WWII, and rightly so! The other one from that group, was Rambler. I remember him as a troubled and unhappy guy, filled with regrets. Very likable though, as were all the others who posted in The Golden Age folders.

I just posted an old song in "Just Plain Old Music", to commemorate Dec.7, l941 . . . 77 years ago today!   

JeanneP

I remember His story. Didn't make a copy back then. To late now. So many are missed. From senior net days.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Anyone who is interested in watching the 1942 movie, Holiday Inn, starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, it's playing tonight on TCM.  It starts here in the West, at 5:00 pm, so would be 8:00 on the East Coast, and 7:00 in the midwest.

Another classic is playing on TCM on Sunday night.  It's called, O Henry's Full House, from 1952  It consists of five different short stories, written by O Henry.  Each one is introduced by John Steinbeck!

The five stories, are, "The Clarion Call," "The Last Leaf", "The Ransom of Red Chief", "The Gift of the Magi", and, "The Cop and the Anthem."

"The Gift of the Magi", stars Jeanne Crain and Farley Granger, and "The Last Leaf", stars Anne Baxter. The old comedian, Fred Allen, is in "Ransom", as well as Oscar Levant.  Marilyn Monroe and Charles Laughton star in, "The Cop and the Anthem", and Richard Widmark is in, "The Clarion Call".

I'm especially looking forward to, "The Gift of the Magi".  I remember reading the story when I was young, and also hearing it performed on the radio. I recall watching this performance with Jeanne Crain and Farley Granger, at some time in the past, and liking it very much.  I'm anxious to see it again.

RAMMEL

Marty's story ----- I could probably email it to anyone who wanted it.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

Marilyne,  already had vcr set to record "Holiday Inn" but am setting timer to remind me to watch it "in person".  Have you ever found a PBS broadcast of the stage production?

JeanneP

Rammel
Would like to read Marty story again. I know it can be put into a forum. Private now
JeanneP

RAMMEL

Quote from: JeanneP on December 08, 2018, 06:07:29 PMRammel
Would like to read Marty story again. I know it can be put into a forum. Private now

I think it's too long to post here  (in one post).  If you want it emailed to you, send me your email address.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Callie - I watched "Holiday Inn", last night, and enjoyed it as usual.  I always look forward to the Firecracker Dance . . . one of my favorite Fred Astaire solos. For his partner dancing, I prefer Ginger, to all others!  We have a choice this year, as to when we want to watch "White Christmas", because it's playing on Netflix! I just hope I don't forget it, because I have a lot of black & white Christmas movies recorded that I plan on watching . . . "Remember the Night", and "Christmas in Connecticut", being two of them.  The PBS stage production of "Holiday Inn", will not be shown here until midnight, on Dec. 23.  I have it recorded, but we'll have a houseful of company, starting on the 22nd, so I probably won't be able to watch it until after Christmas.