Random Image

Fe 2 months

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of August 14

Started by JoanFL, August 14, 2016, 04:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S.....
....I am with you, :thumbup:  I am waiting for them to come cart me away.... ;D

I looked up your comedian, have to admit I am not familiar with the name but....Flip Wilson.....

Halkel.......
....spotted a plane, almost same position this morning but 20 minutes later, its trail was the usual white and trailing out longer as it went....

" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's Eggs Benedict to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Tattoo

As an obstetrician, I sometimes see unusual tattoos when working in labor and delivery. One patient had some type of fish tattoo on her abdomen. "That sure is an unusual looking whale," I commented.

With a sad smile she replied, "It used to be a dolphin."

Food For Thought

The Brevity of Life
(By Alan Smith)

The court jester was overcome with grief. His world was at an end! For a long time he had served the Caliph at Baghdad and his court, keeping them amused whenever they called upon him. But in a moment of thoughtlessness he had displeased his ruler who had ordered that he be put to death.

"However," said the Caliph, "in consideration of the merry jests you've told me all these years, I will let you choose how you are to die."

"O most generous Caliph," replied the jester, "if it's all the same to you, I choose death by old age!"

I suppose, if given a choice, that's the choice all of us would make. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), though, that choice is not ours to make. We know (all too well) the fragile nature of life. And perhaps it is for the best. If we were guaranteed 90 years on this earth, we would be mighty tempted to wait until the last year or so to get serious about God (just like putting off those term papers in college!). With a realization of the uncertainty of life, we recognize the need to be prepared at all times.

"LORD, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am. Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor." (Psa. 39:4-5).

May you be prepared for the joys that await those who are prepared when this life is over!

Thought of the Day

"There comes a time when we all must realize that life is short, and in the end the only thing that really counts is not how others see us, but how God sees us. For the believer there is hope beyond the grave, because Jesus Christ has opened the door to heaven for us by His death and resurrection."

- Billy Graham, speaking at Richard Nixon's funeral

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone.

The weather guesser says we are in for a storm today...just hope it is rain and nothing more! Not a lot on the agenda today, just helping a friend this morning then I hope to do more sewing.

Hal ,glad your eye report was good and hope your blood test comes back good too!

Jenny, that year seemed to fly by fast!!

Joan, thank you for breakfast

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'll be off to Wally World to greet my public this morning.  Wish me smiles!

I wish you all a day full of whatever pleases you.  We are to have some more rain today.  Things are beginning to look green again.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Have a great day at work today Jane...
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  How nice of you to help a friend.

Janie--Good morning.  Please send some of that rain my way.  I wish you smiles at work.

Shirley

Don't know when I've posted but thought I'd come & whine this morning.  I've had a flu bug or some horrible tummy ache for 4 days, my daughter mentioned her "Crohn's was acting up" while here & her oldest son's was, too.. he also has had the Crohn's surgery.... and since we were all at his & wife's house to see the new baby (took all the food & everything so they didn't have to get out).... I surmised my problem wasn't something I ate but a "bug".  Seems the kids also had tummy problems and they didn't eat any of the steak & gravy or turkey noodles ....

Hal, good news about the eyes & you brought up a memory of my father eating some fresh canned tomatoes with crackers.... had not thought about that in years.  He absolutely loved it.... and Mom would make him a bowl of sliced onions with vinegar (I think) that he would just purr as he ate the two things together. 

Didn't take notes but I do remember Flip Wilson.... about the only comedian I really enjoyed.  So many comedians had to be insulting or "talk dirty" to be funny & I didn't think either was funny.   Something about him reminded me of my "middle" brother (had 3)... how he rolled his eyes when thinking of some ornery deed to pull.  One routine where he talked about wearing out his little turtle trying to get it to race across the room.... remember those little toys you'd press down on to get the spring wound up & let it go & it would zoom across the room?... and I could picture a poor little turtle being rubbed back & forth to make it go.... was funny at the time but I felt sorry for the turtle & stuck in my mind all these years since.

I agree with all that the year is flying by but not fast enough for me.... has been the worst summer since the heat of 1954...  humidity like we've never had in Kansas.  Haven't had the month of over 100 degrees like one year but didn't have the high humidity then (of course, I was about 40 years younger, too).  Think that must have been in the late '60s or '70s. 

Larry, I sympathize with Pat... those pinched nerves can feel like an abscessed tooth.  Had that so many years but thankfully not for about 30 since I took an afternoon off & soaked my back with Epsom salts for at least a couple hours.  I was bent over for more than a month when we lived in the KC area, had been to the doctor & to a chiropractor, doctor recommended bed & stretching plus muscle relaxers & chiropractor wouldn't touch it after seeing the X-rays.  When I saw a poor little old lady in a store window as I was crossing a street, realized it was ME as I got closer... I decided I'd give the soak a try, it had already cured a brown spider bite for me not long before.  My mother was a firm believer in chiropractors & I went now & then after being thrown from horses or just being a dare-devil tomboy.... sliding into first base or something equally un-lady-like.  Hope Pat finds relief soon, coming up with meals 3 times a day is a chore, isn't it? 

Been sitting here an hour... little more, so better go feed cats.  Won't be long they will be wanting in & out when it turns cold.  Right now they go out after a "midnight snack"... about 10:00 pm and don't come in until I open the door from 6-8:00 am. 

Patricia, you are probably right about Farrah needing another cat friend.  LaurenKat still pretends she doesn't like Tom & Tiger but she wants to be where ever they are.  She hisses at them & slaps at Tom... Tiger just falls to the floor when Lauren says something to her.... but when they get scared in the RV I find all 3 hiding together in a space under the end of the bed.  She looks for them at home & waits for them to go in or out, of course, they have to let her go in or out first!  I know she would rather have her old life back when Cas carried her around all the time and when he sat down, she was on his lap, snuggled under his arm.  Tom & Tiger never liked to be held like she does.  "The only child" does get more attention.   ;)

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.
well I have been reading but too much going on to do much posting, yesterday we worked the Bees and roped one super of honey off of them on one swarm and moved another swarm into a new 10 frame hive. they settled right into there new home like the had always been there. we are going to spin the honey off today and bottle it. we are going to get some fancy honey jars and give some to children and grand's for Christmas, Have a great day.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone, the humidity is returning today. Yesterday was great, spent most o the day outside. Felt great to do that.

JOAN  wish you would get a break in the heat and humidity there. Forecast for today is more thunderstorms late afternoon and a possible weak tornado. Now that is an unusual thing to hear here.

LARRY  I hope the chiropractor can help Pat. Being in so much pain as she is cannot make life pleasant. You have a good neighbor to bring that meal to you. I will stick to 7, have had enough with this PC to try something different.

PATRICIA  maybe wants you to play with her? Just a thought. She does not sound like any of the other cats you have had.

JANE  Nothing like home canned tomatoes for a good taste for what they are used for later. I was thinking a UFO, too.

JOAN  thank you for all today's goodies.

SHIRLEY  you and me are the only ones looking forward to cold weather.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

Gloria, Shirley.....
......please dont leave me out of your group, you know I am not a lover of " hot..."...
....Autumn isn't far away, July's and August's are not my favourite months, but roll on mid-end of September I will then be more in my comfort zone....

JoanFL

Good morning, Shirley.  Sorry you've been "under the weather".  You aren't alone in having an unusually hot and humid summer.  Of course, FL is hotter than KS, but we've broken all sorts of records for high temps and humidity.

Lloyd--Good morning.  Good luck with the bees.  Honey will make a nice Christmas gift.

Good morning, Gloria.  I wouldn't mind a thunderstorm if it was combined with lots of rain, but I sure don't want a tornado.

Vanilla-Jackie--It's been way too hot here this summer, but I don't want freezing cold either.

Vanilla-Jackie

Joan.....
....I often ask myself, " how did I once live in the Caribbean?..."

June Drabek

Good Morning all. Had a good nights sleep...still sleepy though, but I have been up since six, got all the "usuals" taken care of, now enjoying coffee and all of you.

Yes, Jackie, it was Flip Wilson. He was what I called a "cute" comedian. Could make one laugh just  being himself, or "Geraldine" as he adapted as one of his skits.

I will be going down for my podiatrist at 8:30, do I had better stir my stumps and get things in order. See you..........
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--Apparently you tolerated the heat better then.

Good morning, June.  I am about to the point where I need a podiatrist.  It's getting hard for me to do the toenails.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  Another very warm and soon to be hot day here in South Carolina.

I just returned from a quick trip to COSTCO for a few items, including getting the car filled with gas. We will not be going hungry. I took advantage of the riding cart this morning and it made the shopping enjoyable and didn't leave me exhausted. 

The morning chores have been completed and I fixed scrambled eggs with ham,  cheese and green onion for Pat's breakfast.  She still is in a lot of pain but was able to get some sleep in her easy chair. She has now taken a pain pill and a muscle relaxant so I expect she will do quite a bit of dozing off during this day.  I have no other plans requiring me to leave the house the rest of the day.

Patricia, it sounds like Farrah just wants to be the center of attention and when you are working on the computer she is feeling slighted.

Hal, I will mention that to Pat and I am pretty sure she has used some in the past.  I know my deceased DIL used many of the patches over the years to try to control the pain from the AVN she suffered. 

Jackie, I wouldn't think a drone would leave any trail as it would be solar or battery powered.  I don't know much about drones so perhaps they have some that are powered with fossil fuel.

Jenny, great news about Michele and her recovery from the cancer.  The meal our neighbor's brought over wasn't home cooked as it was a nice Hormel Cure 81 ham, a package of Steamer Vegetables and a pecan pie from the store.  They were much appreciated and gave us a good meal last night and there is a lot of ham and pie left over. 

June, medicines can do some bad things to us as they try to help us.  One of the blood pressure medicines Pat took for awhile caused her to cough a lot.  A change was made and the cough ceased. 

JaneS, wasn't it Flip Wilson's Geraldine character who would say "the devil made me do it"?  I see Jackie looked it up for us and Shirley confirms the matter.  I always liked Flip Wilson. 

Shirley, that does sound like the flu with others having the same problem.

Joan, I have used a podiatrist twice since I moved here and will continue to do so.  However, I am not liberated enough to go for the nail polish.  :)

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!
Well just got back from the vampire and blood letting. For some reason he used a butterfly instead of regular needle so it took a couple of minutes to get the required amount of blood.

The wife is at the doctors too.  Her tummy is still acting up.  I think it is a bug going round.

Jackie, maybe the sun/airplane was not at the same angle to get the golden look.
Have you seen the email where a water fall looks like fire instead of water when sun gets at a certain angel.  https://www.google.com/search?q=waterfall+of+fire&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi14521pMbOAhUDQiYKHWUyBcYQsAQIHQ&biw=1056&bih=419

Larry, hope you find something for Pat.

Back later.

JoanFL

Larry--Good you can use the cart at COSTCO and not get so exhausted.  I sure pray that Pat somehow can get relief from her pain.  Ha, Ha about the toe nail polish.  I am lucky to get the nails cut--forget polishing them.

halkel--Hope you and your wife get to feeling better.  Are you doing the cooking?

JeanneP

I think we are going to have a cooler day today. Maybe a little more rain. got plenty yesterday. I got caught in it at the grocery store. got wet but didn't care. Felt good.
June.  You sound more chipper today. Good. Just watch your feeling and get checked up on least little thing. Prevention beats the cure they say.

Think will do a few things around the house today.  Still no ironing done.
JeanneP

JaneS

Count me in on those who don't care for the hot weather.  But then, I don't like the really cold weather either.  I've always said that Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons.  I'm pretty sure that when I was little, the only good things about summer were NO SCHOOL, swimming, roller skating, climbing the big tree in the back yard, bike riding and wading in the creek.  Oh yes, staying up later, too.

Everyone was happy at WM today.  For the next couple of weeks, we should be fairly busy with Little League.  The LL World Series begins in Williamsport (right up the road) on Thursday and the big parade and opening ceremonies are tomorrow night.  The only time I ever attended games was when Lewisburg had a team in the series.  That would have been about 1951.  The boys were all in my kid sister's class and she wanted to see every game they played.  That was the year I got my driver's license and they actually trusted me to drive my sister and 3 of her friends to the games.  We all survived!

Have a nice afternoon!  We're going to get some hard thunderstorms so the doggies will stick to me like glue.

JoanFL

JeanneP--I wish we'd get some of that rain.

Janie--Nice that everyone was happy at WM.  One year when we lived in NY, Ray took Joe to the Little League World Series.  Here we don't really have seasons that change--one season is pretty much like the others.

halkel

Joanie, we got rain all day yesterday.  Nice light rain, about two inches here at my house and now just starting to rain again.  But heavy with boomers in the area.  My lawn guy came by earlier and finished up the yard.  Got through just in time.
And Joanie, can you believe the high yesterday was 76 in August.  Set a record and today it is cool.

Hooray for the unpredictable Texas weather......

JoanFL

Please send me some of that rain and some of the cooler weather, too.

angelface555

:ghostface: I 've been blowing as hard as I can this whole summer! Is it working yet?

Carol

Angel, is that you blowing the wind down here????? :)

Jane:  I am so happy for your great news.  It sounds like a real worry is canceled. 

We are having a houseful Sunday afternoon and I have started the detail cleaning ******  Really do not like blinds to clean, it takes so long and then a nap started calling me so tomorrow is another day like this one. 

JaneS

If you're trying to send that rain to Florida, Angelface, I think you might be blowing in the wrong direction.  I'm not complaining, mind you, but we're sure getting a lot of rain lately.  Maybe you should try blowing out another window.

Carol, you are right! A prayer has been answered.  God sends his angels in many different disguises.  It's up to us to recognize them.  And He DOES answer prayers if we are patient and trust Him.

I'm going to go off to bed early tonight so I'm going to say...

Good Night Everyfriend!  Sleep peacefully and may God bless us, Every one.

June Drabek

Came home from lunch, tired out just from eating and visiting. So I took a long, long, nap. woke several times from weird dreams and went back to sleep again  both times. Really felt strange. Hope it wasn't the food, as I am having the left overs for supper tonight.

I'm having grocery delivery tomorrow between 11 and 3. They usually arrive around noon, but I will be up and around and getting more rest, so all is well.

Bis, you and I are evidently having a similar climate, except you get more humidity. Since I moved here I find it is not near as, dry as Hemet was, so I can feel the humidity. I will adjust though. Being nearer my kids. Being nearer to Gary and Dori, and all the added benefits I receive for cared for living it is worth a bit of humidity. I am still considered "independent", so rent is less than those that need assistance,

I sure hope our Jeanne Lee is doing o.k. I worry about her. I don't know if she has any family nearby, or not. She was such a kind and patient helper when I was a "newby",

I have finished my supper of taco chicken salad and it tasted so good. I hope my stomach accepts it gracefully. If not, I will have unhappily learned something. 

Good night my Janie, and all else if I don't have something to contribute later. I love you all. June

As long as we are here, let's dance.

halkel

Joanie, if I can figure out how to box it and ship it, I will send some of the rain/cooler temps you way.  Weather guy said we have a week more of "possible" rain and cooler temps.  But like June, all this rain has made our humidity go off the charts.  Since the sun has gone down he rain has gone away.  Will return with the Sun tomorrow.  When I say cooler temps I am talking high 80's or low 90's.

June I am in the same boat with you.  Seems all I want to do today is lay on the couch and doze.  I am getting where I must twist and turn all night, I woke up the other night and was cold and tried to pull some covers up but they were tangled like everything.  So I had to get up, turn the light on and make my bed,  seems every morning I have been fighting in the bed, what a mess.

Vanilla-Jackie

Jane S.....

.....you just reminded me of another couple of my late fathers often words...." a blessing in disguise..." and... " angels  come in many disguises..."

Junedrabek......

.......I was inquisitive to see what all the fuss was about Flip Wilson, so tuned into Youtube, and just watched a clip of...." Ugly Baby..."  ;D

Talking of sleep patterns.....I am now finding I go to bed much later than I used to do, I can go to my bed at near midnight, then wake up and get up around the same time each morning, 5.30'ish....This morning I got up just before 5am to let our Benji out.....and I haven't gone back to bed....Now I can understand why I doze off so much during the day, and for so long, I even doze off when at the computer, can be any time of the day...and sometimes more than once....then come midnight, I am wide awake, till I drop off at 1am after reading a little....

JoanFL

Good Wednesday morning, Everyfriend.  There's a full breakfast to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

CHUCKLES

Independence

Brenda had been stressing the importance of independence to her granddaughter, Shila, 7, while they were waiting for the 4th of July fireworks to begin.

She felt she had made her point until Shila thoughtfully said, "You know Nana, you can live without your independence. Amber's doctor took out her independence and she's still living."

Food For Thought

Marriage Reflecting God’s Character

Scripture Reading: Psalm 45:1-7
God has blessed you forever. . . . Ride forth victoriously in the cause of truth, humility and justice . . . .
Psalm 45:2-4
Marriages today are so easily ended. Divorce has become routine. Breaking relationships designed to last a lifetime results in many broken hearts and homes.
Psalm 45 is written as a wedding song for a king. The first several verses describe a king who rules with integrity and justice, reflecting God’s character.
This mighty ruler is clothed with splendor and majesty. He is called “the most excellent of men.” His lips are “anointed with grace,” meaning that his speech is life-giving, gentle, and kind. God is the commander of this man’s life; he recognizes God’s anointing of grace and of joy. He loves righteousness and hates wickedness, revealing his heart to be in tune with God’s heart. He seeks truth, humility, and justice.
I want to challenge the men who are reading these words to take note that God and his Word must be central in our lives. If anything is out of line, we must be truthful and humble to seek God’s direction in setting it right. Have we dropped our guard and allowed anything unwholesome to intrude? If we are married, are we giving up the fight and deserting our wives and families?
Let’s look to the Lord for guidance in our relationshipsâ€"¬especially in marriage and family relationships. He alone can help us.
Father, thank you for all your blessings, and guide us to live for you in truth, humility, and justice. If we have fallen short, forgive us and restore us, in Christ, to live for you. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“Be soft.  Do not let the world make you hard.  Do not let the pain make you hate.  Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness.  Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.”

~ Iain S Thomas