Random Image

carshow4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of September 4

Started by JoanFL, September 04, 2016, 04:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

SODA SHOPPE
for week of September 4

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's breakfast crepes to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “Soda Shoppe” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Proud of You

As one of the relatively few female airline pilots, I've often been mistaken for a flight attendant, ticket agent, or even a snack-bar employee.
Occasionally people will see me in uniform and ask if I'm a "real" pilot.
Still others congratulate me for making it in a male-dominated field. One day I was in the restroom before a flight. I was at the sink, brushing my teeth, when a woman walked through the door and looked over at me. "My sister would be so proud of you!" she remarked.

I figured her sister must be in the airline business, so I smiled and asked why.

Replied the woman, "She's a dentist."

Food For Thought

A Lost Art?
(By Lee Simonson)

Why is it that the electricity always seems to go out at the worst possible time?

This past week was no exception. In the middle of a late winter storm here in upstate New York, the television stopped - along with the lights, the stove, and everything else.

Strange things happen to a family when the power stops.

First, it's, "Don't open the refrigerator door, you'll let the cold air out."

Then it's, "I can't leave the house, the garage door doesn't open."

Then it's, "Don't use all the hot water."

In other words, life ceases to exist as we know it.

With nothing to do and nowhere to go, everyone starts to congregate in the same room.

The search for candles and flashlights begins, but as expected, all the batteries are dead.

Fortunately, we have a fireplace and had not run out of our supply of logs to throw on the fire. At least we didn't have to freeze in the luxury of our own home - we could "rough it" with a little comfort.

Then, invariably, the comment is made, "Can you imagine what it was like 100 years ago?"

Who has an imagination that good, I wonder. How could you explain the idea of a portable hair blow-dryer to someone 100 years ago? Or how a CD player plays music? Better yet, picture yourself telling someone in the year 1899, "In about another 50 to 60 years most everyone will be spending their time sitting in front of a box that has moving pictures of people doing just about anything - these pictures will be sent through the air and bounced off other boxes that are spinning around us in outer space. But not to worry, if you don't like it, you can press a button on something called a 'remote' and watch people doing something else."

Forget a hundred years ago... how do you explain television TODAY?

But something else happens when the electricity goes out. Something VERY strange that is rarely witnessed in today's sensory-overload attention-grabbing society. Many people think it's a lost art; maybe an art that has seen its best days come and go. But if you listen closely, you'll hear it.

What happens when the electricity goes out is nothing less than amazing - a conversation breaks out! You heard me - a real life family conversation. You remember what that is don't you? That's when people, in the same family no less, actually sit down and use their vocal cords to talk with each other. It happens in the same room at the same time. No voice mail, no email, no "chatting" by typing on a keyboard, no texting or cell phones. Just old fashioned face-to-face talking.

Without music or the television blaring in the background, these "no electricity" conversations can take on an impressive aura. With no lights, they can even be a bit spooky while you get reacquainted with your family. But there is also a nostalgic romance attached to the moment; doing something that people have done for thousands of years before electricity was even "invented."

It's not often you can hear the pendulum ticking in the old grandfather clock. But in between the conversation and something called a "card game," and in between the stories, jokes and laughter, you can still hear time slowing marching forward, with or without electricity.

We may not have much practice these days having family conversations, but it's a lot like riding a bicycle. Once you learn, you never forget.

Despite all the high tech gadgets at our fingertips and the rat-racy busyness of our lives, sometimes it's not that bad to be thrust into a low-tech existence, even if only for a few minutes.

Come to think of it, maybe the electricity should go out more often.

Thought of the Day

Dan Rather once asked Mother Teresa, "What do you say to God when you pray?" Mother Teresa answered quietly, "I listen." Taken aback, Rather tried again, "Well, then, what does God say?" Mother Teresa smiled, "He listens."

:smitten:

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone.

I hate this win 10 . I went to turn on my computer it said don't turn your computer off we have installed new up dates.
took it a long time to load and when it none of the icons were in the right place. have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'll be off to feed the doggies and get ready for church in a few minutes.  It's my turn to read the lesson this morning and I like to be there a few minutes early so the person who is watching for me can relax.  If I don't show, she/he will have to read the lesson.  I always know who it is who's watching for me because she visibly relaxes.

After church, I'm going to stop by the Farmers Market and pick up the stuff to make fresh salsa.  I might get a cantaloupe, too.  And look at other stuff.  I love shopping Farmers markets.

Make it a good day, Everyfriend.

P.S.  Lloyd, if you don't like where the icons are, click on them, hold the button down and drag them to where you like them.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

wow Jane you are Jane on the spot this AM . I as you all know am very slow with memory now days ,but am getting better
again. I forgot to tell you all Oklahoma had a earthquake yesterday trailed up here. it shook here hard enough that it rolled my computer chair about 3" back and fourth 3-4 times.with me in it. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Amy

Good morning
Chilly this morning with a temp of 40° might have to wear a long sleeved top this morning.Foggy too  here but the sun will soon burn that off!

A day of rest here,I may play in the sewing room for a bit. This coming week is going to be a bit busy with two trips to the city for hubby and one for my friend,daughter in love to a quilt show.

Lloyd great to see you in here..

Jane, I also love farmers markets. Lots of goodies to find there.

Phyllis, delicious graphic!!

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  Our Janie told you how to move the icons.  I saw on the National news that MO felt tremor from that earthquake.

Janie--Good morning.  Does your church have different people each week watching for the reader?  I sure wish there was a Farmer's Market near me.

Amy--Good morning.  I'd have my geemogotchees on if it was 40°. :)  You are going to be a busy bee this week.

Lloyd Hammond

Amy thanks.It is good to be Abel to be here. I am hooked up to a machine with a long cord to breath, it is long enough to go any where up on this level (any room) even out on the deck  I think I am going to move it to the other side of leaving room and I think I get down stairs to the Ms pack man machine and play it. Have a great Day.

Lloyd

phyllis

Good morning, Joan, Lloyd, Jane, and Amy.  The sun is coming up and it is supposed to be a nice day.  I'm pretty sure I am going to enjoy it.

Amy, thanks for the "pat on the back".  You are always so nice to mention each week's graphic.

Thank you, Joan, for good food and good reading this morning.  Crepes sound good and "A Lost Art?" makes me long for the old, old days when families and friends visited each other and actually sat around and talked to each other.   ;)

Glad you are back, Gloria.  Sorry you have had so much computer trouble.  Hope you don't feel too much from Hermine.

I am concerned about Gloria de up on Long Island.  Hermine is supposed to hit the Island kind of hard.  Hope she will be OK.

Make it a good day, everyone.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Vanilla-Jackie

Good afternoon.....

Well after a day of neither one of us talking to each other, not the best of atmosphere, R took an early morning telephone call from one of his mates, drinking buddies from back home, from near his previous address.....I had met his wife only the once many many years ago and that was on a brief unloading of Christmas card, gifts to their house, hardly really spoke to them so wasn't exactly feeling in a welcoming mood for company in one hours time, they were down for the weekend, only R didn't know....especially when R told mate over the phone..." we have both only just got up, " I shouted to R to tell him the truth, I have been up from my usual time of 5am...." it was he that had just got up at 9.am, just 30 mins before the phone rang....

Anyway they arrived with late teenage or early - late  20s daughter, or thats how old she looked....who I wasn't even aware they had, I knew they had a son....but I soon found that conversation between me and Rs friends wife, we both got on " like a house on fire..." it was as if we had known each other for years, we had so much in common, plus she was as chatty as I was....We sure had a laugh when it came to medical matters, and partners....especially when I touched on an ailment and was recommended I pop a pill for depression or anxiety, she too told me of an ailment where she too was prescribed depression med's, then told them this is news to me, I dont have depression.....We all said our goodbyes an hour or so later with a hug and the talk of them paying us a visit next year when they plan to book a week, not just the weekend they are down for this time.....Of course me and R are now back to our silent treatment, our-my, normal life resumes.........
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Lloyd--Maybe you could move the concentrator downstairs when you want to play Pacman.

Good morning, Phyllis.  Glad to hear you expect decent weather.  It seems these days if folks sit around a table instead of talking to one another, they are talking on their iPhone or similar device.  I hope Gloria de is sheltered from the storm.

Vanilla-Jackie--Good morning.  It was nice you had company that you could have a good chat with.

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....." Thought of the Day... I heard this morning that they are making Mother Teresa a " Saint...." and so they should......

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a beautiful Sunday morning. It will soon be time for me to head for Sunday School and Church.  I know what I plan to do after church in terms of lunch for us today as the kitchen is basically closed today.  I did get to COSTCO yesterday.  They had a very good sale on new bed pillows and we needed some so I got them, getting the king size only to find out when I got home that Pat in the last few days had cut off the king size cases as we didn't have king size pillows.  So I have to take the pillows back and see if I can get standard size pillow cases. 

Last evening, while watching the University of Georgia beat the University of North Carolina in football I read thought the postings.  I will limit my comments today as don't have a lot of time to spend here this morning. 

Amy, I agree that was a good deal. 

June, I use Facebook very sparingly and mainly to see postings related to good friends.  I do get some notifications as guess I have that function turned on as with Pat.

Gloria, glad you are back but I am sure you are not optimistic if they simply went back to factory condition as that is what has been done several times already.  I will try to find the link as I assume you are speaking of the one for bluetooth keyboards.   Here is the link for the bluetooth keyboard that appears to be the same that I have.  http:/amazon.com/iXCC-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Devices-White/product-reviews/B01E4T7L6I/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1   If you search on Amazon for Bluetooth Keyboards you will find others.  I read some of the reviews and I think this one will work with Apple and Android devices and phones.

Jane, I think I will also buy from a local computer shop next time.  I am getting tired of dealing with computer problems.

Joan and Phyllis, last week when we went to Ruby Tuesday's I had a sundae that looked very much like your graphic but had some chocolate cake in the bottom of the glass.  It was ever so good. 

Lloyd, the message from Microsoft on updating the computer so don't turn it off is normal, although frustrating.  When I lived in Alaska I was at work sitting at my desk and an earthquake occurred and my chair went rolling back into a bookcase (with me in it and I mean the chair not the bookcase) and then back to the desk.  However, there was no damage.  My SIL in Independence said she felt the one in Oklahoma and I read it was felt in 7 states. Did you enjoy the ride back and forth in your chair?  :)

I hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday. 

Radioman34

Checking in from Mississauga Ontario, about 120km east of London. I'm attending a wedding at 10 am this morning where my nephew is marrying an East-Indian girl.  It should be vey colourful

CallieOK

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--Yes, I saw that news item that today Mother Teresa will be canonized.

Good morning Larry.  Good for you closing the kitchen on Sunday.:)  Too bad you got the wrong size pillows and have to make another trip.

Radioman--Good morning.  That wedding should be somewhat unique.

Good morning, Callie.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Getting ready for church.  Hope everyone has a great day.  Cloudy, hot and humid here.

C U Later.

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  It's sunny, hot and humid here.

Lindancer

Good morning on this cool morning, and waiting for Hermine, which is suppose to arrive to night, but with only 55mi. winds, not the 75 first said we would have, here on eastern Long Isand.  Ripe tides have been bad, this last week,  Strange but my friend just came back from the ocean, and it is calm. I guess that old expression "calm before the storm". All up and down the coast it shows it so rough. A couple of years ago, I also would have  take a ride to to watch the ocean, along with many others.  I Use to have a minister, who would go down to the ocean to write his sermon.There is something about the ocean, you can just set and look at it.  My son and I use to go down and just set and look at the waves coming in, and the birds running in front of them.

Callie Hi right back :coolsmiley:

Phyllis, that sundae, looks like my coffee sundae, I get at Friendlys. I will be glad when Hermine, gets way out to sea.  I have been watching at the beginning and worry about my DIL in the Florida Pan Handle, then  Johanna in SC, now here, and next my DIL on Cape Cod.  No wonder I have white hair.

Joan, thanks for crepes, I forgot to make them this year, as I make them durning strawberry season.

June, I use Face book like Larry, only to here from  and see pictures of my grandaughter.  I find it too personel.  I do not write in it.

Larry, if and when I need to replace my 7 year old computer, I would buy it right here in Riverhead then I could talk face to face with someone.  I also would let the man who takes care of my PC. Four years ago I let him pick out my printer also.  I take and print all the pictures every month I take at Red Hat meetings. So I use it a lot.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Jeanne Lee

Gloria de, I hope Hermine continues to fade before she gets to you.  I'm one who absolutely cannot sit and watch the ocean - just looking at it makes me queasy!   :D 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

JaneS

Good Afternoon Everyfriend!  I've had a full morning.  Went to church at 8. I read (Joan, the person watching for the reader to arrive is usually the one who will have to do the reading if no one shows up) then I went to brunch with three ladies from church and then to the Farmers market (bought stuff to make tomato sauce for cooking) then stopped at WM for a few items. 

I came home and let the doggies out and gave them a snack, put a chicken in the crock pot and here I am.

And I'm not going anywhere else for the rest of the day.

Gloria de..I hope you're all "battened down" for the storm.  We wouldn't want you to float away on the wind.

I tried to find that sundae in the icecream store but I think someone beat me to it.  So I bought crème horns at WM.

Have a pleasant day Everyfriend!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Linedancer--I sure hope you have everything secured and don't suffer any damage from the storm.

Janie--I like cream horns, too.  Thanks for the answer about the reader.  Do you freeze or can your sauce?

Vanilla-Jackie

A story to bring tears to your eyes......excuse the pun....

The Mother With One Eye

My mother had only one eye. When I was growing up, I hated her for it. I hated the uninvited attention it got me at school. I hated how the other children stared at her and looked away in disgust. My mother worked two jobs to provide for the family, but I was just embarrassed by her and didn't want to be seen with her.

Every time my mother came to visit me at school, I wanted her to disappear. I felt a surge of hatred towards the woman who made me the laughing stock of the school. In a moment of extreme anger, I even once told my mother I wanted her to die. I was completely unconcerned about her feelings.

As I grew up, I did whatever was in my power to distance myself from my mother. I studied hard and got a job overseas so I wouldn't have to meet her. I got married and started raising a family of my own. I got busy with my job and family and with providing a comfortable life for my beloved children. I didn't even think about my mother anymore.

Out of the blue, my mother came to visit one day. Her one-eyed face scared my young children and they started crying. I was angry at my mother for showing up unannounced and I forbid her to ever return to my home and new family life. I yelled and screamed, but my mother quietly apologized and left without saying another word.

An invitation to a high school reunion took me back to my hometown after decades. I could not resist driving past my childhood home and stopping by the old shack. My neighbors told me my mother had passed away and left a letter for me.

"My dear child:

I must begin by apologizing for visiting your home unannounced and frightening your beautiful children. I am also deeply sorry that I was such an embarrassment and source of humiliation to you when you were growing up.

I have learned that you may be coming back to town for your reunion. I may no longer be there when you come, and I think it is time to tell you an incident that happened when you were a young child. You see, my dear child, you were involved in an accident and lost one eye. I was devastated at the thought of my beloved child growing up with only one eye. I wanted you to see the beautiful world in all its glory, so I gave you my eye.

My dear child, I always have and always will love you from the bottom of my heart. I have never regretted my decision to give you my eye, and I am at peace that I was able to give you the ability to enjoy a complete life.

Your loving mother."

~ Author Unknown....

JoanFL

Thank you Vanilla-Jackie.  Reading that required Kleenex.

Gloria called me.  Her grandson worked 3 hours installing her computer yesterday, and when he left everything worked fine.  When she tried to "boot up" this morning she has nothing.  She sure has more patience than I do.  She asked me to request that none of you send her any emails until she has a machine that works.

Vanilla-Jackie

How frustrating, I would be thinking about throwing it through the window....thinking of course, not actually doing it.... >:(

halkel

Quote from: JoanFL on September 04, 2016, 03:03:14 PM
Thank you Vanilla-Jackie.  Reading that required Kleenex.

Gloria called me.  Her grandson worked 3 hours installing her computer yesterday, and when he left everything worked fine.  When she tried to "boot up" this morning she has nothing.  She sure has more patience than I do.  She asked me to request that none of you send her any emails until she has a machine that works.

You know, I don't know how much good it would do, but is it about time that all of us gave the company a little attention about Gloria's computer.  I cant recall where she bought it but we are all aware of how much grief they thing has given her.  Some letters from members of this board just might get their attention.

What brand is it? And when did she first buy it, how many times has she sent it back, and any other information.  Can someone call Gloria and get some information?

Vanilla-Jackie

I think anything is worth a try, anything that will get Gloria back on the road to normality......maybe this computer company needs to be named and shamed....

Sandy

Regarding the One Eyed Mother...

"As it turns out, only one part of the eye can be transplanted.
Medical science has no way to transplant whole eyes.
When someone receives an "eye transplant,"
they are being given a donor "cornea",
the clear front part of the eye.
Your eye is a complex organ connected to your brain
by the optic nerve. "

This is a story that is just made up  to make people feel
sad..      Thank goodness there is no truth to it.

It is a beautiful day here on the rocky coast of Maine.. 
Warm but dry ...    Fall is on it's way!    Hooray!

I feel really bad for Gloria.   

Sandy
:smitten:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Amy

I agree with you Hal and I for one will be more than happy to tell that company what a piece of jun k they are selling..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

June Drabek

I came in before Church, left a message. Came back, no message. This is a no-go day for me, I have decided to stay home, stay quiet
As long as we are here, let's dance.