Random Image

Teething on celery!

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of October 16

Started by JoanFL, October 16, 2016, 03:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's Egg McMuffinsto go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her “A Country Autumn” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Jay Leno Quotes

I was trying to find stuff to talk about today, it was a slow news day, so I found this. On this day in 1492, Columbus set sail from Europe, looking for a sea route to India - and ended up in America. And ironically, if you make a call from Europe to a company in America today - it's re-routed to India.

Thank you for coming out on such a hot day. Today was the first 100 degree day in L.A. I was sweating like a "Star Wars" fan trying to talk to a girl.

This new "Star Wars" is supposed to be quite good. It finally explains the transformation of how Anakin Skywalker went from being a young white boy to James Earl Jones.

Yesterday was "Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day." Which means today is "Stay Late At Work To Catch Up On All The Things You Couldn't Get Done Because Your Kid Was Bothering You In The Office Day."

Congress is now considering legislation that would require people to present four different forms of identification when they apply for a driver's license. Well that should speed up that line at the DMV.

I guess you heard by now, according to that video that was shown in court, Michael Jackson used chimps to clean at the Neverland Ranch. That's really bizarre, isn't it? Have you ever heard anyone say, "Your place is so spotless. I need to get the name of your cleaning monkey.

Well now the pope's election is over, at least we won't have to put up with any more of those negative cardinal campaign commercials.

Food For Thought

Why Some Churches Need to Quit Doing Evangelism For Awhile
(By Joe McKeever)

I was in my first church after seminary, Emmanuel Baptist in Greenville, Mississippi. This collection of members had come in from other churches, I had been told, and many were unhappy and disgruntled. Being young, idealistic, and ignorant, I scheduled a revival and invited Don Womack of Memphis to preach a weeklong meeting.

The meeting was awful. Our attendance grew weaker and weaker. Wednesday night, one child responded to the invitation and joined the church. Other than that, nothing.

At the same time, there was bickering among members, and rumors were flying about their new young preacher (me!) trying to stir up racial strife in the community, and such as that.

Following the final sermon and the fruitless invitation time, Evangelist Womack handed the service back to me.

I remember what I said like it was last week.

"People, I don't know what to do. Brother Don and I have worked so hard this week. But you have not supported this meeting with your attendance and support. I'm looking around at quite a few people who have told me you intend to join this church and several of you who need to walk this aisle and give your life to Christ. But you did nothing today.

"And I just want to say, I don't blame you.

"I wouldn't join this church either.

"There is a bad spirit in this congregation. And God is not going to send revival until we get our hearts right with each other and then make things right with one another.

"Folks, the Bible says 'It is time for judgment to begin at the House of God' (I Peter 4:17)."

And, little by little, day by day, God broke through that log jam and sent a spirit of revival to that church. People who belonged to Emmanuel Baptist Church in 1968-70 still talk about it.

Evangelism and spiritual harvesting are not for everyone calling themselves followers of Jesus.

Fruitbearing is for the obedient.

Believers aiming to obey the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-10) should not miss one huge fact: No one not living as a faithful disciple himself can make someone else a disciple of Jesus Christ. Only disciples make disciples. Only the faithful can bear fruit.

Put another way: No one can teach others to "obey all the things I have commanded you" who is not obeying those things himself.

The church which is rebellious or wayward or chronically immature or systemically sick has no business trying to convert outsiders to what they are doing and how they are living. (Note: "Systemically" is not "systematically." When the sickness is throughout the body, we say it is "systemic." The problem is not with one person or two, but throughout the body.)

The sick church should get well first, and then it will be able to help others.

Thought of the Day

At the Los Angeles revival, a fellow evangelist accused Billy Graham of setting religion back 100 years. Graham replied, "I did indeed want to set religion back, not just 100 years but 1,900 years, to the Book of Acts, when first century followers of Christ were accused of turning the Roman Empire upside down."

:smitten:

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN...
...Thank you for getting our morning breakfast off to a good start....and let me be the first of the J's to say good morning....Been up since 3.am, its now 8.45 am...drank three cups of tea already...having problems lately getting off to sleep, this is not my usual me....but so much on my mind...

JANE S, JENNY,....
...Jane good morning, Jenny wishing you a restful nights sleep...

Jenny, oh, forgot to tell you about puppy's teeth...I know only too well, as I have been on the other end of them, literally...
" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Another fine day in the making I think  and then we are in for rain. I did manage to rake up the pine needles so will take them to the dump today. Nice to get the yard looking clean from all the pine needles.

Not much else is on the agenda today....may start another quilt??

Phyllis,beautiful graphic! So peaceful looking.

Jane, I made a soup the other day and threw in a bit of everything, onions,celery,tomatoes,navy beans,cabbage, rice,carrots and if you find the kitchen sink ,give it back as it was not to go in :))

Jackie, good morning

Joan, thank you for breakfast

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good morning Everyfriend!  I wasn't going to comment about anything before getting ready for church but AMY, if you had some of that soup in the hidey hole, I ate some and I almost broke my tooth on this!  HERE'S YOUR SINK!

Have a good morning, Everyfriend and I'll be back later to see what y'all are up to today. 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

:2funny: Jane, I knew my sink was missing.....thank you  for sending it back!!

Have a fantastic day today..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning Vanilla-Jackie.  Sorry you are not sleeping well.

Amy--Good morning.  I know those pine needles are messy.  We had pine trees along our lot line in Arkansas, and it was always a nuisance to get them raked and bagged.  Your soup sounds good to me.

Good morning, Janie.  Ha, ha about Amy's kitchen sink.  See you after church.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Just marking my spot.......

JoanFL

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a beautiful Sunday morning.  We didn't see the sun yesterday as it remained cloudy all day.  Yesterday was pretty much a lost day for me as was feeling so weary that I spend most of the day laying down.  I do feel more normal this morning (whatever normal is).  I was glad that I really hadn't planned on accomplishing much as it wouldn't have gotten done.

Last evening we did go to Pizza Hut as we had planned and took our absentee ballots with us to get someone to witness our signature.  Just as we were getting out of the car a good friend from church pulled up beside us and I asked her if she would witness our signature, which she willingly did.  We also had time to sit and visit a bit before her carryout order was ready. I will drop the ballots at the post office this morning and that will be accomplished for this election cycle. 

Pat's breakfast is ready for her as nothing to cook this morning other than to heat the sausage muffins and push the buttons on the coffee maker.  I have watered my flowers and am ready for church. I will definitely bring something home for our main meal today and then spend the rest of the day as a day of rest while watching some football and listening to Don's wonderful radio show.

JaneS, your church soup project sounds like a great idea and a nice way to raise money for the Outreach program.  You must have a very good reputation for your soup. 

Joy, I also try to get up and walk from my office to the other part of the house every hour or so.  You are right that time really flies by when we get involved with things on the computer.  My wife has the same problem.  Have you considered a laptop so that you can keep your feet up.  Both Pat and I have laptop, in fact she has two as one is upstairs in her sewing room.  Her other one is by her easy chair where she spends most of her time and mine is also by my easy chair that I use in the afternoons and evening so I don't sit and stare at the TV.  Hope you had a most enjoyable evening with your son and grandson.  I don't think I have ever eaten sauerbrauten unless that is the same as sauerkraut. 

Hal, you are very fortunate to be able to be a part of your grand kids lives.

Patricia, I have used a program called Capture Whiz Pro for many years so haven't used the built in screen grabbing tools in the operating systems.  Thanks for the info about the apps you use.  I know there is now a tool in Windows called Snipping Tool but haven't tried it.  That is some huge external hard drive. 

Hal, my mother had a cast iron corn bread stick maker and we often had corn bread.  On occasion Pat will make it but can't say it is one of my favorites.  She really hated to not be able to use her cast iron skillet, which she had used all our married life, when we got the glass top range top.  I don't even remember whether we moved it but suppose we did as it could be used in the oven. 

Joan, when my wife discovered the rolled pie crusts in the dairy case at the store that was the end of here making them from scratch. 

June, I hope you are feeling more chipper today.  I can relate a little bit to your tired feeling as that was pretty much my day yesterday. 

Patricia, I was taken aback a little when I read of your sister's eating habits.   

Joan, that country autumn graphic is perfect for this time of the year.  Phyllis, thanks for preparing it and I marvel at your talents. 

Jackie, sorry you are having such a hard time sleeping.  Those early morning hours go so slowly when you try to go back to sleep.

Radioman34

Hello world. Reserving my parking spot for the week.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, after a cold night yesterday turned out to be a nice warm day. Spent the afternoon outside enjoying it. My CNA  has a friend who is a hairdresser, she brought her here in the morning and at last I have a good haircut. I just could not have the one that comes here cut my hair again. 5 minutes to cut hair? You can imagine what it looks like when she is done. Yesterday it took half an hour and the difference shows.
My daughter and SIL are now officially residents of Arizona. They finally turned over the keys to the house in San Diego Friday.

AMY  those pine needles are worse than leaves to rake up. An area of the end of the parking lot here has pines and the area is full of pine needles. Have to be careful walking there because they can be slippery on the pavement.

LLOYD  wish I had talked to my grandson before buying this computer. He would have told me not to get another HP. I heard on TV the other day that they are not concentrating on computers much but branching out into other areas.

JOAN  when my don was here yesterday I forgot to ask him to cut the Acorn squash for me. I cannot do that anymore, it will be here waiting for him next week. I bet those brown and serve frozen sausages and chopped apples, walnuts and seasonings. Easy and tasty. I have yet to see where DST helps anyone.

LLOYD  Braxton is a smart little boy.

LARRY  right now my knives need sharpening and I do not have the strength to cut that squash in half anymore. I also cut a small slice off top and bottom so it lays flat in the baking pan.

JOAN  when I made a big pot of vegetable soup I used to freeze it. My canning days are long over. Of course I can no longer cook like I used to either.

JOY  like you I have to keep getting away from the PC and move around. No longer can sit here the hours I used to.

HAL  we have time to enjoy the grands and great grands when we were too busy all the time when ours were little.

PATRICIA  like yours, this building is warm. I am on the top floor (3 floors here) and the lady under me likes it cool so it does not get too hot here in the winter. The hallways are warm. Second floor is way too hot.

HAL  my Mom was a great cook and made wonderful biscuits, my daughter does make some just like her. Me I made hockey pucks.

BEVERLY  both my parents were French , so the pea soup and home made baked beans were quite a staple growing up. My daughter makes zucchini relish and she sent me a jar, carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and in the center of the box and it survived the 3000 mile post office trip.

PHYLLIS  your Country Autumn make me happy I live in the country and get to see the beautiful foliage. Thanks.

JOAN  thank you for the Egg McMuffin, I do like them. Like the Jay Leno quotes. Thank you for today's goodies.

JOAN at my son's house my car was parked under a pine and a hemlock trees. Those needles got into everything, even inside the car.

LARRY  I have tried the piecrusts from the market but to me they were not the flaky kind I am used to so my pie making days are over. I gave my cast iron pans to my daughter, I can no longer even pick them up empty. Have you ever checked out the PSP forum in the card shoppe? You will find some beautiful work there, Phyllis and Patricia post there and I hope to get back again.

DON  see you later for your program.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Radioman.

Gloria--Good morning.  I know it makes you feel better to get a good haircut.  So now Regina and her husband start a new phase of their lives.  The way you fix your acorn squash sounds yummy.  I really disliked the pine needles.  Am glad we don't have pine trees here.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Jane and Amy/Amy and Jane,  loved your "kitchen sink" exchange.  That's my kind of humor!!!!!

I had hoped to get the cast iron cornbread stick pan and a small "what-not" shelf from my mil's house after she died - but neither were there when we went to get them.   Later, we saw the shelf in one of her granddaughter's homes and I'd bet we could have found the pan in the cupboard of another one.
I don't begrudge them the items - but it would have been nice if they had said something instead of going to the house and getting them when no one was around.   (They were seen going in and out by a neighbor. My husband was not happy when he heard this, but I convinced him it wasn't worth it to make a fuss. )

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

JoanFL

Good morning, Callie.  That was sneaky of your mil's granddaughters to take those items.  Shame on them.

angelface555

I remember when my maternal grandmother died and some small items my mother had been promised never appeared. She was then midway into Alzheimer's but my father called for her. Her sister and brother had kept everything because as they said, "She would never understand, or appreciate." I think that was the last bit of family feeling between my dad and mom's sister and brother. And the items were not even worth a lot monetary wise.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, a nice cool cloudy morning here in Stanton, sun will probably appear later in the day. May have some rain on Monday…I hope. then on Thursday, our regular mid70' s will jump into the mid 90's. I do not like that.

Larry, we certainly did have similar days yesterday, I think today will be more active, though Sunday's here are very quiet days. I will go to Chapel, then on to lunch, then home for the day.

Gloria, it must have been a bit of a wrench to hand over the keys of their house for Regina and her husband. They raised their boys there didn't they.?  They have been back and forth enough to Ariz. that it should easily feel like home to them now. We moved so many times it didn't bother me too much. We did have one home that I really loved and hated to sell, but Ed's job had him spending too may hours on the road from Long Beach to Pasadena.

Time for me to move this body away from the computer and have some breakfast, make the bed and get myself dressed for Church. I have been awake since 5a.m. so there will be a nap calling to me later today.

Take care my dear ones. I love you much. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Larry--Somehow I missed your post.  It was not intentional.  The only way a pie comes from my house is with one of those dairy case crusts.

angelface--Sometimes folks get greedy.  When my mother died, it took me 24 hours to get there.  By that time things I would have liked--sentimental type--were gone.

June--When I first got up this morning about 3 a.m. I stepped out on the porch to see what was happening--it was cool and raining.  The rain stopped after about an hour but started again two hours later and last about an hour.  Now it's sunny.

Vanilla-Jackie--I am sorry your sleep time is shortened by your worries.

Denver

A good Sunday Morning HELLO from Austin!  We enjoyed a pretty one, but not quite dry enough to leave the balcony door open.  Oliver and I went out and set for a bit and we both enjoyed it. 

Football is on the tube and I am doing what ever I can to keep busy.  My Broncos do not play today.....thank goodness as they all need a good rest after the last TWO losses!  Brian and Cathy are at the Mercedes Benz Super Dome in NOLA right now, watching the Saints and the Panthers.  He said they had to stop and reminisce the horror it must have been there after Katrina.  He sad it made them feel sad and very humble. 

Oh goodness JACKIE.  I am so sorry that you had a night of no sleep.  That is horrible and I feel so badly for you.  To me things always seem so much worse during those sleepless times than they are in daylight.  I hope you have been able to rest some today to make up for it. 

AMY, pleased to read that your DH is home now and in your care.  I hope and pray his recovery will be quick and complete.  You take good care of YOU too, please! 

Thank you, JOAN, for our goodies this fine day. 

Sadly, more times than not some greedy person will feel the need to go and take a loved ones items before others have a chance to get there.  I think that is why items should be given while the person is alive.....to avoid this.  My dads sister was taken to a hospital by ambulance and before the first relative arrived to her place someone from the senior apartment building had already entered and pilfered through and took many items. When her brother arrived they could not find the key to her place that was kept in the office, so someone obviously got it and entered.  Nothing we could do about it....but it sure upset us.  Unfortunately this aunt became very bitter after her husband passed before her and made the choice to give EVERYTHING to the Christian Scientists Church, so we were not entitled to anything anyway!  Through out her life her brothers had always taken care of her thinking she never had much and in fact she left in excess of 100k dollars to the church.  They had no children.  Never made sense.  She was very close to my boys..... there was a picture of my mother and dad on her refrigerator as well as a picture of our Dr. Dave right next to a woven "house key holder" next to it.  We never did figure out what the key was to as nothing was found that indicated that the key would unlock.  Always made us wonder.  Dr. David was named after her and her husbands last name, and they were always included in family events.... thought sure she would have helped him with his medical school expenses since she has so much money, but sadly no! 

Wow, sorry about the long rant, but it obviously hit a nerve with me!

We are sure enjoying this puppy dog.... I am more and more in love with him.  He is 12 weeks old and has not had one accident in the house yet, since we have been here!  So sweet.  The biting is much more under control as well.....so thankful for that.  Poor GrandBob's arms are a real mess!  IF ONLY YOU HAD WARNED US, JACKIE!!!!  Haha.....

I must run...time to walk the little guy!

Enjoy a wonderful day, EVERYFRIEND, 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

JENNY.....
..." IF ONLY YOU HAD WARNED US, JACKIE!!!!  Haha.....".

.....as my late father would often say..." we live and learn.... "
....I've still got his tooth mark, one tetanus injection later...
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  I got home from church much later than I'd planned.  As I was leaving church, I got a text from my granddaughter who lives and works in Philadelphia.  She came up last night, visited with her cousin on the other side and then spent the night with my daughter.  The were inviting me to join them for breakfast which I did.  Turns out my grandson who also lives in Phila. was home for the weekend too.  So I got to see both of them.

Then my daughter and Courtney went to the Farmer's Market with me to get pumpkins.  I've also been invited to join them for chicken from the grill for supper so I'll get another visit with my grandkids. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the vegetable soup in simmering in two large pots on the stove.  If I get home in time this evening, I might get one cannerful done.  I have everything ready just in case I have some energy left over and I think its been simmering long enough.  There will be plenty to put in the hidey hole for supper tomorrow.

Hal, get up tomorrow and get busy on the cornbread!

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Jeanne Lee

OK, here are some answers.

With my fourth trip to the hospital since July 1, more tests were taken - CT scan, EKG, echo cardiogram and all sorts of blood work.

I have, as we already were aware, emphysema/COPD.  This time, swollen lymph nodes in the lungs were discovered and a  biopsy was done.  The findings were non-hodgkins lymphoma, indolent type.  This is a very slow cancer, for which the oncologist is treating by...OBSERVATION and only at 2 month intervals, no chemo, radiation, surgery.  He told me it is more likely that I'll die of something else.  I told him I'm not afraid of dying, I know where I'm going then.  It's only the path to get there that I was concerned about and I'm sure the Lord has those plans all set.  :D  So that's the situation.   I intend to continue as I've been doing here. 

I have definitely experienced the loving hand of our wonderful God, and have the wonderful support of prayers from you and other.  This last visit to the hospital found me in a room with a lovely born-again lady and when she left the next room mate was also a Christian lady.  What blessings those two ladies were.

So, thank you for the prayers and please continue.   :thumbsup:

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Lindancer

Good afternoon, another nice sunny day, a little on the cool side, but suppose to be 75 by Wed. I guess Indian Summer.

Amy, How is your husband doing. I hope getting better everyday.

Hal My mIL, started making biscuits when she was six years old.  I found and old movie, my husband made of her, making biscuits when she was 90. She also did not measure anything'  she made them twice a day when my husband was growing up. My FIL, like catheads (large biscuits) They lived in Alex City, Ala.  I still have her cast iron fry pan,

that is what my husband used to make his corn bread, he put pepper cheese in it.  also had it with butter milk.

I still use my copper pots, that Cyriel gave me, when Mark was 3. That would make them 59 years old.  the copper still shines like almost new.

Patricia, my mother would not let anything  green in the house, neither would her father.  she would say green was grief pearls were tears, so no pearls.

Joan, I love a McMuffin.  Phyllis thanks for Autumn View

Callie, When my MIL died in Charleston, my husband called everyone to tell them, the first thing one granddaughter said to him, I want her bedroom suit, I can get it right away. Not thinking we also spend the winter in Charleston, and we might want it or saying sorry, that she had just lost her grandmother.

Gloria, the man who cleans up my yard charges extra cause I have pine needles

JeanneLee, A big hug and prays going your way

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Gloria, I had to Google your mother's quote and that is from "A morning walk" by Charles Doyne Sillery. He was Scottish and a contemporary of Keats.

We, my sisters and I always seemed to be working and we must have started about six or seven under supervision, but we were not allowed to actually use the stove until we were each ten.

Jeanne Lee, you were missed and it is nice to see you posting again. If you have to have cancer, that is the type to have.

JaneS

JeanneLee, you are ALWAYS in my prayers.  And I admire your attitude.

In fact, ALL OF YOU are in my prayers daily!

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee, it is so good to see you back here.  Thanks for the explanation of what you have been through.  Prayers for you.

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

Thanks for all the prayers - they are always needed for all of us and by all of us.   :thumbup: 

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Shirley

Jeanne Lee, just when I think everyone in here has taught me all possible about showing the purest & classiest example of how a lady or gentleman should act, you've surpassed the ideal!  You have been pushed into a scary place in our lives & have not just taken it in stride but stared the monster in the eye & stood tall.  My hat is off to you (sincerely) and will keep on praying for your strength to handle each day as it comes.  I am happy for you that chemo, radiation & surgery are not ordered and am sure you were an inspiration for the two room mates.

Janie, good for you being included with "the kids" and having the time to run away with them. 

Jenny, we had the same problem when my parents died, so many things missing but nobody dared accuse anyone since so many people had been in & out the 5 years after Mother died, before Dad.  She would have missed the items but Dad didn't, they had $ value to be hocked... and just disappeared.   So have you decided you will just enjoy the grand-dogs and not have the worry of where to leave one if you adopt?  Much as I'd like to have a dog I have too many doubts how it would work out with the 3 cats. I am finally at peace with the elephant RV.... actually had one trip without problems!!!

Last night (or morning) I woke up about 2:30 am with a start, knew something was wrong.  All cats outside because of mild temps.... sat up in bed to analyze what was wrong.  All the outside lights were off... have LED lights built into the overhang that come on at dark & off at daylight.  All the way around the house that we had never used because we couldn't find a switch for them.  After Cas died one of my sons put in a new bulb & much to my surprise it came on at dark.... so we put ordinary LEDs in all the rest & now I can look out & can see anything near the house.  BUT it was dark.  Clocks were dark, so I got up to see of it was only my house or the whole neighborhood.  No street lights & just dark everywhere.  So I called the power company, my Cox phones still worked but I knew only for a short while, until their backup battery went out.  Sure enough, lots of us in the dark but "should be on by 3:30 am".... and it was past that by the time I called. 

I mentally planned the morning as I fixed myself some toast (love having a gas stove, had to light with a match but still able to put butter in a skillet & can't beat that kind of toast.  Had coffee left in the pot so poured some in a pan & heated on the stove.... candles glowing everywhere.  Tiger wanted in but Lauren wouldn't come in since Tom wasn't home.  She is like that.  I thought I'd try for an hour sleep so blew out the candles (have flashlights for camping in the bags that get toted in & out).  Tiger lay on the bed beside me, was on guard duty & kept watch out the sliding door.  Normally I can see the whole pool area with the lights but I couldn't see what she did so I dozed.  Got up at 5:00 since the power wasn't on, knew I couldn't open the garage door & would have to put up the jacks, open shades & unplug the power to the RV if I was going to get to church.  I had a concern about going out the front door since I wasn't sure I had a key to the 2nd lock, when I turned the lock on the inside out of habit so I could get back in with only the dead bolt lock, I gave it a test turn to see if it would open.  It didn't.  Was going to worry about that when I got home if the power wasn't back on by then.... too late to do anything then~

Lots of police & power company trucks a couple blocks away, on the other side of the bridge.  Our side goes off more often than the side of the street not backed up to the river.  I left the house 6:30-6:45 & a neighbor across the street was up & had a light on in her computer room.  NOT FAIR!  No problem finding a parking spot.... this dude takes up 2 full - front to back - parking spots, but was early enough I had my pick.  Like when I'm camping & want fast food, I park on the street & walk in, so no problem having breakfast with the kids.  Power was on when I got home.... will have to get one of my sons to dump the ice cube bin since I know they will have melted enough to stick together & not come out the door.  The one clock that stops & shows numbers what time, said it went off a little after midnight & didn't come on until nearly 9:00 am.  Time to make mush of ice cream bars, etc., but don't think it harmed the frozen foods.  I've had one nap already & brain not sure what time of day it really is, will do what the body dictates. 

So, as June says, "Onward!"  I have a bunch of clocks to reset.... thank goodness some reset themselves.  The tech help with Cox had me reset the router, she could reset the modem from her end.  Took a while but got the computers back on & hopefully everything charged back up (portable phones, etc).  Time for the cats supper & I just had lunch.... the brain is not so flexible these days!  Nothing BAD, just befuddling..... :crazy2:

Love, hugs & prayers to all.  Shirley

JoanFL

I had unexpected company arrive shortly after noon and she's staying for the night.  I slipped to the computer to read posts and to tell you why I was absent.