Random Image

Lauri and family

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 13

Started by JoanFL, November 13, 2016, 03:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Halkel--No.  I didn't see that.  Thanks for the link.  I hope all of our participants in the area are OK.

June hasn't been here today.  I hope she is OK.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

June Drabek

Bis dear, I am fine. thank you for your concern. I apologize for my neglect.

Finally arrived at my computer. I overslept this morning, but got to Church on time. Came home to rest a bit, then down for lunch. Back home feeling tired so sat in the recliner to read...fell asleep for THREE hours.....after a full nights sleep. WOW.

Lloyd you are pretty quiet today, hope you are doing O.K.

Patricia, Thank  SO much for the picture of Adrienne. I used to enjoy her so much in the old Sr. Net. She looks wonderful. Hasn't aged a bit.

Janie, I'm sorry your Sunday turned into a dog hunt. That must have been really frightening. Perhaps you should post a sign on or near the gate.

Amy, I liked your remark about closing what you open. I recall my Mom telling me. "Close the door ! what's the matter, do you have a tail ?"

I must get down for a bandage change, and back home to order some groceries on line. So I will leave you now, till later. June.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Mary Ann

Hal, my earthquake site shows four earthquakes in New Zealand, each one smaller than the previous one.  I think the fourth earthquake was 4.8 or in that vicinity.

Mary Ann

JaneS

I had a short nap before supper with Annie on my lap and Mickie snuggled up to the side of us.  After supper, we all rested again and now I'm off to bed.

June, you are not the only one to suggest a sign on the gate about not leaving it open.  I did have a sign on it when the fence was first erected but everyone seemed to get used to closing it and when the sign disintegrated, I never replaced it.

I wish you all a good night and a good tomorrow.  May God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

I hope everyone has as good a view of the Supermoon tonight as I did.  I will also look Monday night but I won't be able to see any change.  It is great!  My front yard was so bright I didn't need any additional lights.

Mary Ann

Denver

Good evening to EVERYFRIEND.

The Super Moon is spectacular tonight. 

So happy to be home......had to get here as it is Bob's Birthday tomorrow.  My dad is feeling stronger everyday and I am so glad that I was able to be with him.

CAROL, good to see you and Don had safe travels to Tucson.  We may get a bit of snow this week,but they are not sure. 

I wish you all a good night of rest.

Pleasant dreams.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

good Morning everyone! I suspect Denver has gone back to bed. I am up and to couch soon. I may take a nap there until daylight 2:22 AM here. have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's assorted mini muffins to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Strong Young Man

The strong young man at the construction site was bragging that he could outdo anyone in a feat of strength. He made a special case of making fun of one of the older workmen. After several minutes, the older worker had had enough. "Why don't you put your money where your mouth is?" he said. "I will bet a week's wages that I can haul something in a wheelbarrow over to that building that you won't be able to wheel back." "You're on, old man," the young guy replied.

The old man reached out and grabbed the wheelbarrow by the handles. Then he turned to the young man and said, "Alright. Get in."

Food For Thought

Thanksgiving in All Circumstances

By Sergei Sosedkin
Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Our listener Yulia shared with us how her husband abandoned her and their two small children shortly after she became a Christian and joined a local church. Soon she lost her job and was about to lose her housing. Yulia’s unbelieving mother said that everything happened to her because of her “new religion.”
But the local church stepped in. The deacons held a special collection to support the daycare for Yulia’s children, and soon she managed to find a new job. Yulia says that her prayer life helped her to get through some very difficult times. She is thankful to God for sending such caring people into her life.
On the one hand, our passage today provides some important guidelines for Christian living. On the other hand, Paul’s words sound like an almost impossible directive. How can we “rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances”?
In difficult times we have to be reminded of God’s goodness and faithfulness. Our heavenly Father loves and cares for us. We must always focus our spiritual sight on his power to deliver us from evil in this temporal life and in eternity. We must also thank God for the salvation we have in Jesus, regardless of our external circumstances. Can you do that?
Father, when our circumstances are difficult, you are near. Encourage us through your Spirit and through your people. Use us to share your love with others. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“If my mind can conceive it, if my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it because I am somebody!”

~ Jesse Jackson

:smitten:

JoanFL

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Beautiful super moon !!

Just have to deliver two quilt blocks this morning and then the day is mine. I do need to chase the dust bunnies  and start a pot of soup and then I can go sew.

Jenny, glad your Dad is feeling better.

Radioman, wishing you  a happy birthday

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  The moon sure was beautiful.  Bet you can chase those dust bunnies into oblivion.:)

JaneS

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RADIOMAN!!!
:hb2: :hb2: :hb2:

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's cold in central PA this morning....only 22º when I got up this morning.  Even the doggies didn't fool around outside!  I hope you all have a lovely day today filled with whatever it is you wish for.

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  Keep warm with a temp like that!!

Gloria

Good morning everyone, sun is shinoing and supposed to get up to upper 50's today. Not much happened here this week end. Daughter and SIL took their first day of pleasure since moving. Went to a fair in town and enjoyed it, finally ordered a new washing machine, they are both tired of having to do laundry in town. She found a new store to get fresh produce but for the rest of groderies she has found WalMart good. Still unpacking boxes but that is normal. The ladies in the are get together once a month for a potluck and she will be going to it for the first time. The men get together at the same time. My SIL is looking forward to meeting those who live there and depend on each other. Looks like they are enjoying being a out there in the boonies.

LARRY glad the visit with your friends was a good one. Long drive for just a few hours though.

CALLIE  anything to discourage those squirrels is wonderful, keep it up.

HAL  does your squirrel proof feeder really work? I have never seen one that did.

JOAN  Mounds and Almond Jopy are 2 of my favorite bars. Of course I enjoy most any candy.

AMY  glad someone besides me like cheese with a piece of warm apple pie. Better than ice cream IMHO.

JANE  that stranger shold have closed the gate after opening it. Not thinking at all. I know what it is like to have to chade a dog aroung the neighborhood. Did that a few times at my son's when one of their dogs got loose.

PATRICIA  I remember Gene (Nugget)and Nadia, met them and Shirley when they first came here and stayed with Mare and Frank in NH.

HAL  on the morning news just now they were showing some of the damage fropm the NZ quake. Terrible.

JANE  to me anyone with a brain should know when you open a gate you close it.

JOAN  a couple of mimi muffins will be so good this morning. Chuckles young people do not know every thing. Food for thought is so true. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  I must be the only one who did not see the moon last night.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Gloria

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  We had a very chilly and rainy Sunday.  I think we had about 1/2 inch of welcome rain.  It was our annual Youth Sunday at church and our youth did a marvelous job in the service with beautiful singing of the Praise Band, a very cleaver Biblical skit called McChurch, and then two young ladies gave great testimonials during the sermon time.  The service was in our fellowship hall where the contemporary services are held and it was packed with probably 500 people in attendance. 

Today I need to make some more sausage muffins for Pat and will attend my noon Monday meeting.  Beyond that I plan on a fairly quiet and restful day.  I just started to make the muffins and discovered the sausage hadn't been thawed out as I thought so will have to wait probably until this afternoon to make them. 

Happy Birthday Don.  Enjoyed your program yesterday.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

And a very special Good Morning to you Don and a Happy Birthday.  I hope you have a good one with more to follow.

Gloria, yes the feeder does work as designed.  The thing is spring loaded and if a squirrel or a big bird tries getting on a perch or grabs the body of feeder it pulls it down and closes the feeding holes.  It frustrates the doves which try feeding and although we have it under the eves of our house the squirrels can still manage to get to it from the roof, to no avail.  It is similar to this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brome-Bird-Care-1016-Squirrel-Buster-Finch-Bird-Feeder/21798728

The weather here is really nice this morning.  Just a slight chill in the air but the sun is shinning brightly.  Next week, well weatherguesser is talking cold weather.  We shall see.

Nothing much on tap here this morning.  Just a nice quite day.  We had the family over for Italian last night, and I will have it again tonight, plenty left over.  We had it brought in.

Janie, did you have to scrape ice Sunday morning?

Joanie, thank you for the soul food.  Always enjoy it.

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  Regina and her husband have embarked on a new phase of their lives, and it sounds like they are enjoying it.  I like candy, too.  I have on drawer with nothing in it but candy.  When folks that know me and come to the house, they head for that drawer.

Larry--Good morning.  You sure do make those muffins in a timely manner so that Pat has them for her breakfast.

Good morning, halkel.  I have no place to put a bird feeder so no need for one of those gizmos.  How about sharing some of that left over pasta?

June Drabek

Good Morning dear hearts. I had a delicious sleep all night long.  I see i did not get in to say Goodnignt. Sorry about that. The body rules. "Needs" now come before "wants."

Mary Ann, I for one had a great admiration of the moon last night night. As I closed my blinds for the night the moon seemed to yell "LOOK at ME." So I really enjoyed it's glory.

Lloyd, it is a pleasure to see your post, even though it is a short one. I pray you are well, or as well as we can be with our various ailments.

Gloria, it sounds like Regina and her husband are delighted with their new life. They are probably running into a new style of friendship. There seems to be a great loyalty among the folks that live farther apart.  I am so very happy for them. Tlhey have both earned the very best.

Larry, your Church Youth service sounds lovely.  More  family oriented as as the youngsters feel open to give their testimonials. Very encouraging !

Hal, I too plan a quiet day at home. I ordered groceries on line last evening and they will be delivered today between 10 and 3, so I have no choice but to stay home. I plan to get out for a walk before ten o'clock though. At 5 p.m. I will be going down for the Nov. Birthday dinner. That is always a fun time, and we get to know one another better. It may not be our own birth date, but we all share the same month. We will have a high of 87 today, down to 56 at night. I like that.

Bis, I keep wrapped candy in a big dish in my living room. Chocolate kisses, squares of Dove choc. Mini bars , and some hard candies like lemon drops and my favorites Werthers butter scotch. also some lemon flavored cough drops. Gary told me that hard candies , like lemon drops or peppermint life savers, brought out more saliva, which aids in digestion as well as soothing a sore throat.

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you dear Don. May the coming year be filled with the very best of health and happiness.

Time to make the bed and get myself dressed for the day. I always "air" the bed for about an hour after arising. One of our Episcopal Nuns told me that if she didn't get around to making the beds, she claimed she was "airing" them.  ;)
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

June--You have an assortment of candy similar to what I have in my candy drawer.  Enjoy that birthday dinner.

angelface555

Happy Birthday, Don! Enjoy your day and doing what pleases you.

We don't have a super moon here in the Arctic. Too far north and a different trajectory. But I enjoyed Trish's Arizona photos from yesterday.

I don't keep candy around as I'm a nibbler and it would never last that long.

June, we don't have monthly birthday dinners here. We do have a hospitality committee who bakes a cake for each individual and goes to their door, lighting a candle and singing happy birthday to the recipient. The hospitality's next thing is cookies and candy plates for all volunteers as well as police, fire departments, social agencies, and groups that spare time out of their busy schedules for us.

The majority of things here, outside of offices,maintenance and security are run by boards and committees. We get a set amount of cash each six months and plan out activities accordingly. Some of the most popular, assisted by donations and volunteered time, are the 24/7 coffee and baked goods in the first-floor social room as well as the two new this summer computers in each floor's common room for residential use. The Tuesday night movie and popcorn showing is another favorite even with the type of movie hotly debated before each rental.

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone,  from the Sunny and Cool,  rocky
coast of Maine.   

Today I contacted my Life Alert so I could disconnect my service from cable.     My Life Alert box is now cellular,  and I only
have to plug it into a wall socket
(Like a radio....  one plug only)

As soon as that is up and working,  I
am going to go and switch my phone
information to my new smart phone... 
Then  I can take my cable tv box
back to the Time Warner Store and
get rid of everything,  except internet.   

Yahoo!!

Slowly I am weaning myself off being
cable dependent.   
(And if that shouldn't work out for me,
I can hook it all back up again, in the future !!)   :dizzy:

Wishing everyone a great day.
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JaneS

HAL, there was ice on the windshield on Sunday but once I was dressed, I went out and started the car and by the time I had my coat on and was ready to leave, it was all melted and the windshield wipers did the rest.  I'm thinking it might be time to start parking it under cover.

I'm mixing some cookies and it's a new recipe and half way through measuring everything, it said the amount of butter "at room temperature" so now I'm waiting for it to come up to "room temp".  Might have some cookies for the hidey hole tomorrow but maybe not.  They are refrigerator cookies to be sliced and baked so I figure...when a get around to it!  I'll let you all know when to look for them.

Carol

Angel:  Thanks for the picture of Adrienne.  Wish she would post in here - Don and I met her and had a great visit at the wharf. 

Radioman (Don)  HAPPY BIRTHDAY 

Today, is also a birthday for our youngest son who was born in Minnesota.  Six weeks later, in January - Don went overseas for over a month while I kept up the house, and shoveled the driveway with the other 3 children helping in various ways.  It was some winter! 

We are invited to a neighbor's house this afternoon and I feel so sleepy right now.  Don is cleaning the car - we did our exercise and so forth. 

Jane:  Refrigerator cookies are great to mix and have handy & everyone loves it when handed a roll of dough in wax paper - ready to slice and bake.  Walnuts were marked down last week so a small bowl is in the fridge waiting for me to make up my mind on what to do.  Let us know when you "get around to it".  Tea or coffee is great - thanks. 

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

:hb3: DON

Jane, once again, we're on the same page!   I have butter softening so I can bake cookies in a little while.
Once in a while,  I'll soften it in the microwave - but, too often, it ends up being almost melted so I don't do that unless I'm really in a hurry.

Sandy,  sounds as if you have everything worked out to become "cable-free".   Will you have to subscribe to some of the channels you want to watch?

I met Adrienne and the Thomases at the Calgary and Montreal Bashes.   I remember taking several copies of the "Oklahoma Today" magazine to Gene, who was curious about the state.

Jenny,  Happy Birthday to your hubby.   So glad to know your Dad is doing better.

The moon was supposed to be at its Super Best in Oklahoma about 5:00 a.m.   Sometimes I'm awake at that hour but not long enough to look at the moon.  ::)
This evening, I'll be going to the HOA Annual Meeting with a neighbor.  The location is an area without as many trees as we have here so we might get a better view tonight.   I've read that only "experts" would be able to tell the difference in the size.

Off to the kitchen.     Hidey hole will be stocked in time for after-dinner dessert.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere and Enjoyable Day.

JoanFL

Angelface--It's interesting to read how different complexes operate and what is provided.

Sandy--Good luck weaning yourself from the cable.

Carol--Happy Birthday to your son.  You had your hands full with a newborn, three other small children and Don overseas.

Callie--I'll be checking the hidey hole for cookies.  Thanks.

Sandy

Quote from: CallieOK on November 14, 2016, 01:52:12 PM
Sandy,  sounds as if you have everything worked out to become "cable-free".   Will you have to subscribe to some of the channels you want to watch?

I am already subscribe to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu,  and CBS ALL Access.

So for now that gives me plenty of areas to research,  once the cord has been cut....and I end up missing some programs that I
really like.         Since  more and more
people are "cutting the cord", because of the high cost of cable,  there will be more
available to me.    I just need to research what is available .....    The good news is I can
sign up for opportunities by the month, and if I have no need for them,  simply drop
them myself the next month. 

So I  will be more in control of my
spending for my own entertainment,  and not  have to sign on for tons of stations that
I am not interested, or have no need
for.     

This transition is difficult challenge
that I am looking forward to.

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Callie and Jane,

I just put a message over in the "What's For Dinner" forum about how to soften your butter quickly.

Joy
BIG BOX

Denver

:hb2: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DON

Enjoy YOUR day and best wishes for many more to come!  You and my hubby share your special days! 

Thank you, CALLIE for your wishes to Bob. 

Thank you, JACKIE, for the very nice Jackie Lawson Birthday Card...it was very cute and Bob enjoyed it. 

Our view of the Super Moon was fantastic last night....will look at it again tonight. 

Thanks for the kind words about my dad.  Appreciate them. 

We will celebrate with Dave's Family tomorrow night.  All of the boys and my dad have called to wish Bob a happy! 

GLORIA, nice to hear that Regina and hubby are getting settled in.  I hope they enjoy their new home very much. 

Have a great day, EVERYFRIEND.
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"