Random Image

Main Street - 2

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of December 11

Started by JoanFL, December 11, 2016, 04:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

Shirley, the card makers group has been disbanded for quite some time now.  The few of us who were left to make sympathy (and birthday/anniversary, etc.) cards just finally gave up....too many computer graphic problems, too tired of making cards that were rarely ever acknowledged, not feeling well or too old.....all of the above.  The Tranquil Cove was set up for messages of sympathy but no one ever seemed to go there.  You would be better to send Bobbi a Personal Message here in S&F or a private email.

Gloria, I gave up on Photobucket.  Now I store my graphics on the S&F Gallery and link to them there.

Joy, I think I must have ordered a gift card from the same place that you did.  I placed the order online a couple of weeks ago and haven't received the card (by mail) yet.  They managed to charge my charge card right away but they can't seem to get the gift cards sent out very quickly.  If I don't receive it this week I think I will let them know that I intend to dispute the charge and direct the credit card company to not pay them because I never received the product I ordered.  And that I will never order anything from them again.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

So far so good re: disasters today.  Of course, I haven't done anything but read the paper.

I did get the Christmas cards all done yesterday afternoon.

Larry,  you wrote "Callie, I don't know who anyone could camp at 10,000 feet.  The last time we were in Colorado we made the trip up to the highest point and went into the visitor center.  I started having chest pain and we had to get down to a lower elevation as quickly as possible.  I also had trouble at the elevation of Denver and determined I would not go back."
We lived in Leadville CO, which is 10,200 feet above sea level, for 13 years.  Our oldest son was two when we moved there.  When he was 14, he developed pulmonary edema after we flew home from vacation and went from sea level to home in 8 hours.  He was in the local hospital overnight with a diuretic IV drip to get rid of fluid that had developed around his lungs (not in them - the drip was to prevent that from happening).  When he was dismissed, he went back to school and ran in a track meet that afternoon!
We moved to Oklahoma the next year but, when we went back to visit, he had to take a diuretic for a few days before we left and after we got there.   He eventually outgrew the problem.
     If I remember correctly, adjustment to the altitude has something to do with developing more white corpuscles over a period of several months.  I guess the opposite is true because, after we moved to Oklahoma and went back to visit, I was uncomfortable.   I doubt I could go at all now - and don't plan to try.

Gee, this robe is comfy.  I may just stay in it all day and be a Recliner Radish.   :)

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

Joy

Phyllis,  This gift card was from the Build a Bear Workshop.  I finally got through after waiting so long, and they did cancel the order. But she said it would take a week or more to credit my credit card with a refund.  If I should just happen to get the card,  it would have already been deactivated.  So, we will see how long it does take to receive the refund.  It was for my Great-granddaughter's birthday, which was yesterday and they would have sent an e-card, but I never e-mail them and don't even know if they have an e-mail address. I only keep in touch with her mother over Facebook, and I wasn't going to have to hang up to see if they do have an e-mail address and then have to be put on hold all over again. So, I will have to come up with something else for her birthday.

It can get very frustrating.  I have ordered several gift cards and have had e-mails where they have been shipped, but so far haven't gotten any of them. But, it has only been several days now.  I think this is the first time that I have had problems.   I have never sent an e-gift card, so don't really know how that works.

Joy
BIG BOX

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the slightly snow covered Rocky Coast of Maine.

What ever snow cover we have should be gone by this afternoon,  as we are warming up and will be getting  some rain.    That should clean things up a bit. 

I have been having good luck ordering through Amazon.  All orders are coming through with in two to three days.

Plus they have a good way to "track" the packages to see if they are on the move or have been delivered,  already.

All is well here,  as the big holidays come roaring in... 

Have a good day...
Sandy
:heli:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Joy--It's so aggravating when you have to wait and wait on the phone to get help.  Edit--I see you finally got through.

Phyllis--Thanks for explaining about the Tranquil Cove.

Callie--Yeah--no disasters today.  Never heard of a Recliner Radish before.:)

Sandy--I, too, have had good luck with Amazon.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

I came back from town, had lunch, gave the doggies a snack and chased them out.  My packages are all on the way and I picked up a couple things I needed in town and ruled out the possibility of finding another thing I need locally.

I think a few zzzs are in order since I had another restless night.  I'm beginning to wonder how it actually feels to sleep through the night.

Later gators!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

phyllis

I ordered the gift card from Target...my son likes to shop there because it is not far from the house and they generally carry the kind of things he likes.  I've ordered gift cards from them before and they have come through just fine but this time they are really slow.  I'll give them a couple more days and then I'll start the procedure of canceling the card and getting a credit applied to my charge account.

I haven't had any trouble buying on line in the past but this year I have been disappointed with two companies.  But, it still is better than driving through the traffic around here, taking that long walk through a crowded parking lot, and dodging other shoppers with my Rollator, so I'll keep on buying online and hoping that things go smoothly.
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Janie--Have a good nap.

Phyllis--I've purchased gift cards from Target, too, but at the time I did it in person.  That was when I got around better.

JaneS

I've had a bad experience trying to buy an online gift card too.  I always get my SIL a Lowe's gift card.  He expects it.  But this year I went through the procedure and got a confirmation number and a confirmation email and an hour later I got a cancellation.  They said that my information was incorrect and it was the things in their file that were incorrect.  I checked and everything was right.  I don't know what happened!

Joanie, I did get a few zzzs but then the phone rang. 

CallieOK

So far, I've had good luck ordering gift cards on-line from stores and restaurants - and printing them out.  I always get a confirmation e-mail.
I have to fold the printed sheet to put it in a card but my family tells me they work just fine.

Jenny,  you asked if I'd seen the news about the lighted cross in Leadville.  I just now saw the picture on Facebook and read the comments.   It must be inside the Climax mine area because I don't remember ever seeing it. 
I shall refrain from voicing my opinion about all this "PC" :-X about offending people!!!!

JaneS

Callie, my Lowe's gift certificate was supposed to be an email to me that I could print and enclose in a card.  That's the way I've always done it for my SIL.  This time it didn't work.  For some reason, I received a cancellation shortly after the confirmation.  Fortunately, we have a Lowe's nearby and my daughter and I were going shopping in that area the next morning.  So I just walked in, paid cash and walked out.

I have the boxes of decorations in the hall and I'm waiting to go pick up TLH from school. 

JoanFL

Janie--Glad you got some zzz's.  I always get my SIL Lowe's gift cards, too.  I go to their store and get them.  Enjoy decorating and your time with Kiran.

Callie--I've never tried ordering the gift cards and printing them.  Next time I need one I'll try it.

angelface555

I usually buy from Amazon as well. If I need something else, I can go by bus  to a block that has everything concentrated in one area, Walmart, Fred Meyers, Walgreens, Safeway, Lowes, Home Depot and Pier One. This is on the East side of town.

The western side has all of the above except for Walmart and instead has a year around Christmas Store, Alaskan gift shops, and glassblowers or wooden products. And a mini-mall featuring Zales, and stores dealing in imported items, Italian music boxes, Russian Porcelain and home Items. They also have a woman's shop where she has wonderful candy and several craft stores such as JoAnn's and Michael's and some fabric shops.

In between are many of the ethnic stores, restaurants or groceries. The town is like many others where the town center is offices and legal or employment with all the malls and stores surrounding that center like a donut. The buses here are free for those over sixty and there is VanTran as well as free scheduled rides from the Senior Center. The majority of grocery or home improvement stores have large varied racks of just about every gift card imaginable or you could go up the ridge to the University and buy from their stores or tickets to their events or public available services.

The taxis here are exorbitantly priced and in winter, even with five or six cab  companies, you can wait thirty to sixty minutes for availability.

JoanFL

angelface--You sure don't lack for places to procure what you want/need.

angelface555

Probably not as much or as many as stateside, Joan. But enough for a town of only about 100,000.

I just wonder why everything has to be all together? Even the industrial areas are either on the northside or southside along with all the car dealerships.

phyllis

Target is off the hook....and so am I.  The card was in today's mail and that was the last thing I was waiting on.  Everything is all set for Christmas giving.  Now, I need to write some checks for my grandsons and get them sent off soon and also, send some birthday cards.  I'm only sending Christmas cards this year to the people I receive one from.  Otherwise, for those people with computers I am sending e-cards or just a Christmas message.  Getting lazy and cheap in my old age.   :-[
phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Angelface--It's like that here, too.

Phyllis--Good the things you were waiting for arrived.  I'm not sending many cards this year either.

CallieOK

Jane, the gift cards I've printed out have been made available on the web page as soon as I complete the "payment" page and it's accepted.  Good to know that Lowe's doesn't do this.

Phyllis,  Good for Target!   
I'm with you re: continuing to send cards without any reciprocation after a couple of years!  Even some of my relatives have been dropped because of this.
In fact -  I'm beginning to ignore some friends who are always delighted to accept my invitation to go out for lunch or to a movie but never return the favor. Oh- they'll call and hint at doing something but never make it a definite invite for which they have to do the planning. 
I see that as manipulation and I don't do manipulating!!
If that's a Bah! Humbug! attitude.....so be it!

Take-it-easy day is going well.  :thumbup: 

JoanFL

Callie--I send fewer cards, and I receive fewer cards.

No June today.  Maybe she's resting.

angelface555

JaneS

That's ridiculous!  Wouldn't you smell the motor while you're eating.  I think a lawn mower motor smell awful close up!  Unless it's electric or battery, you'd sure have a smell!

June Drabek

I'm coming in late again today. Sorry about that, but I had no energy at all till late this afternoon. I ate a few pieces of candy and it seemed to perk me up.

Gloria, you are very short aren't you ? What is your normal weight ? I have been in the low 140's for most of my adult life, so it seem strange to be under 110 now. I too put a tray on the rollator. I bought a soft plastic one that stays in place and had little bumps on it so things don't move around. It sure helps. I no longer have a Christmas tree. The last one I used for nine years was a small ceramic one, but there is no place for it here. Even my window sills are too narrow for my elec. candles. You and I are growing more alike as we age, I just love it when I have a "free" day.

Phyllis I still have a card on my computer from the group that did the cards. It is a Birthday card with purple violets...my favorite flower, so I have it saved. I appreciated all the efforts of this group.

Bis, you were correct...this was a day of rest. I have a lot of things that need doing...like cards to be sent out to those who do not have computers, but my energy stayed in bed most of the day. I have been up and dressed, but no "get up and go"...it got up and left.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

June Drabek

Patricia, I tried to do what you said..to get color and bold etc. It printed out on my message but did not post. My Mac may be acting up.

Shirley

Every time I come in here & start planning what I want to say, the phone rings or a cat calls for attention & I am off in another direction.

Before you think I forgot, Phyllis, thank you for explaining about the card makers & sympathy site... and you, Joan, for that link of "where it was".   For sure I did appreciate all the hard work & time that went into keeping that place up & running, we all bump into walls and don't have the time to spare after a while.  I know the address I have for Bobbi is long out of date so hope to get a new one to let her know I'm thinking of her.

Still only have about half the candy on the tree so must work on that after while.  I can put the hooks on tonight and put it on the tree when daylight.  Right now the whole tree seems to be slightly leaning so need to catch my son to help put the "leaning tower" upright.  Could be just the star on top leaning, I can't tell. 

Winter winds will blow tomorrow, sounds fierce, but no snow.  I am having a hard time believing Christmas is less than 2 weeks away.  Tomorrow I plan to go to Sam's Club for another chicken for the cats & a couple eye of round roasts to fix & then grind for meat spread.... and pick up the 2 pound blocks of Velvetta cheese & a jar of pimentos to have those spreads to put on crackers when "drop ins" come during the holidays.  It takes me longer these days to shop, then cook or fix the foods, then grind the meat & package it.... but the hardest part is getting this house cleaned (& stays) so someone sees it clean!  I wonder why I keep doing this but guess I don't have anything better to do & it makes my family happy.  I sure could do with Mary Poppins to snap her fingers & get the place shaped up~~

angelface555

Motorized Picnic Table From my earlier link.
For the family that never wants to be without a table when they eat outdoors this motorized picnic table is the perfect solution. It’s gas powered with a 7 horse power engine and a hydrostatic drive so it’s fast enough to get you to the picnic but not so fast to be dangerous. With seating for six people there’s plenty of room for everyone to enjoy a picnic lunch or dinner. The umbrella is a nice touch to keep the sun and rain off of you while you’re eating.

Edit: I don't know what hydrostatic means except hydro has to do with water and static with electricity. The whole thing sounds like an example of conspicuous consumption!

Mary Ann

Patricia, I did not notice a license plate on the table although one could have been out of view.  If the table travels on public roads, a license plate would be necessary.  I wonder what category it would go under.

Mary Ann

June Drabek

The day has scooted by and I am here to say another Good night to you all. I went down for supper tonight at the small dining room in our building...didn't feel like getting into the big dining room, and this was a pleasant change.

Tomorrow will be a busy day with things I am obliged to attend,so I must get into an early bed and sleep. God grant you all a pleasant night and a really happy tomorrow. Love, Hugs and Prayers. June

Shirley

Well, Patricia, I don't know what hydrostatic means (even after checking with Wikipedia) but one of my husband's riding mowers touted that asset.  Actually, that mobile table would be nice if you lived down the street from a park or shore & wanted to load the table & guests & head for the picnic area.  Wouldn't mean you had to have the engine running when you eat, right?   :thumbup:

Mary Ann, in KS you don't have to tag (or license) a motorized vehicle if UNDER 50 cc.  My Yamaha Chappie is an 80 cc motorcycle even thought it has little "donut" wheels.  It is short enough both of my feet fit flat on the pavement when I sit on the seat... but it still has to have insurance & be licensed.  Not fair but 'tis the law.

June, you do live in a very pleasant place, so happy for you.  Hugs to you and a peaceful sleep.

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's breakfast tacos to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Pet Pet-Peeves

1. Dog: "They keep putting the lid down on the big water bowl."

2. Goldfish: "Just because I have a three-second memory, they don't think I'll mind eating the same fish flakes ... Oh boy! Fish flakes!"

3. Cat: "Sharpen claws on one stinking curtain and it's curtains."

4. Parrot: "Tease, tease, tease -- but do those greedy humans ever really give me a cracker?"

5. Cat: "Why are these people in my house?"

6. Dog: "What the ... HEY!!! I didn't even sign a consent form for that surgery. Help, Legal Council!!!!"

7. Goldfish: "Oh, tap-tap-tap! *There's* a new one!"

Food For Thought

Our Never-Changing Lord
(Author Unknown)

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (NIV) Hebrews 13:8

A friend shared with me that two days this week were consecutively one of the best and one of the worst days in his life. The first day he spent gliding down a pristine river in a nature reserve on an inner tube. He soaked in the sights of a river empty of people, litter or noise, yet filled with the natural beauty of clear water, natural springs and various wildlife. As he floated along, the full impact of God's creative power astounded him and the experience drew him closer to God than he had ever been in his life. The next day was spent at the doctors undergoing a grueling series of tests literally designed to make him sick in order to determine the source of some neurological problems that have plagued him for a year.

As he shared his experiences, it became clear to both of us that the same God that was with him on the river, was with him in the doctors office. God never changes, He is the same every day. His wisdom, love, power and promises never change. The only thing that changes is our circumstances and how we let them affect our relationship with God.

Is God the same in your yesterday, today and tomorrow? Does your trust, love and worship of Him change with your circumstances? Are your songs of praise to Him the same in good times as well as bad?

Don't look to your circumstances, look to your God.

Thought of the Day

"Patience is not the ability to wait but how you act while you're waiting."

- Joyce Meyer

:smitten:

JoanFL

The site was down for a few hours, but we seem to be back in business now.