Random Image

Doggie Bath

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of February 5

Started by JoanFL, February 05, 2017, 04:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's Cinnamon coffee cake to go with your coffee or tea.  I wish ALL a blessed day.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “February” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Play Ball

A father took his five-year-old son to several baseball games where The Star-Spangled Banner was sung before the start of each game.

Then the father and son attended a church on a Sunday shortly before Independence Day.

The congregation sang The Star-Spangled Banner, and after everyone sat down, the little boy suddenly yelled out, "PLAY BALL!!!"

Food For Thought

Joyful and Watchful
By Arie Leder
Scripture Reading: Esther 9:29-32; Micah 7:1-7

As for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
Micah 7:7
Although it’s been centuries since Haman was defeated in Persia, others have tried to destroy the Jews since then. The holocaust of World War II is a painfully recent example. Centuries have also passed since Jesus’ victory over sin and death, but the ancient enemy has not failed to keep persecuting his followers.
How can God’s people sustain their joy and feasting in the face of endless attacks? What can they do when evil seems so strong?
First, remember that God’s ancient enemy has been decisively, though not yet fully, defeated. Like a dog, furious at being chained, he lunges at anyone within reach from the end of a long chain (Revelation 20:1-3). Second, like Mordecai and Esther, let us recognize contemporary forms of persecution and destruction. What is happening to Christians in the Middle East today? In many countries believers still face death for their faith.
Whereas the world trusts in its own ability to solve problems, God’s people rest in the truth that only Christ’s coming again will provide the real solution. In the meantime, like Mordecai and Esther, let us be good citizens of the country where we live, but let us hope only in the Lord of heaven and earth.
As we joyfully look forward to the day of Christ’s ultimate victory over the ancient enemy, let us continue to work and pray.
Come quickly, Lord Jesus, and bring us into the fullness of your rest. But while we wait, may we work for your kingdom. In your name, Amen.

Thought of the Day

“Just because you’ve made mistakes doesn’t mean your mistakes get to make you.  Take notice of your inner critic, forgive yourself, and move on.”

~ Robert Tew

:smitten:

Amy

Good morning everyone..

I slept in!! Nice to pound the pillow for a few more hours.

A day of rest here,will throw something in the crockpot and let it do the cooking today. Will start another quilt today after VON leaves.

Where is Lloyd???

Joan thank you for breakfast and the giggle of Play Ball!!!

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  It's nice when you can sleep in.  Maybe Lloyd slept in, too.

Phyllis--Good morning.

Lloyd Hammond

I did girls just now woke up and got dressed except for shoes. I feel better for the most par but still have a hack , but not so bad as was. I plan on laying around the couch today but hope to feel like getting out some tomorrow.
Have a great day everyone.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  I am glad you are feeling better. :thumbup:

larryhanna

Hi everyone on the first Sunday in February.  It is cool this morning but going to go up to 60 degrees this afternoon.  We have the chance for a little rain today as well.  I will go to Sunday School and Church this morning but Pat isn't planning on attending.  This evening I will watch the Superbowl.

As I am limited on time this morning I will be very brief for today.

Jeanne, I never experienced driving on ice in the mountains.  That would really be scary.

Hal, you are in Central Time and we in Eastern Time so we are speaking of the same thing.  It will still be late when the game ends.  I hope I can stay awake to watch it to the end unless it is a lop-sided score. 

Patricia, that very long walk on the ice must have been very tough.  I don't think I have ever walked 10 miles in one trip. 

JaneS, it sounds like your granddaughter is taking an oral history from you and what a great way to get to know you better.  Feel free to share anything about me that you wish. 

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Janie, feel free to use anything you wish about me.  It will be one way to bore her to death.  I'm afraid that I live a very mundane, normal life of an old man.  Eat, sleep, pay my bills, love my family and church (and politics  :crazy2:)

Off to church pretty soon.  Wife has greeting this morning so have to be there early, which I don't mind.  I always go in and listen to the choir practice, good music and just me and a couple of others are in attendance, with a cup of coffee.

I hope Madonna keeps her big fat mouth shut tonight and just does what she is suppose to do:  sing and dance.

Don, you've lost it my man.  Of course you have an excuse,
Love...... :thumbup:

C U cats later

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  Your weather is just about like ours.  I don't plan to watch the Super Bowl.

halkel--Good morning.  I won't have to see Madonna, since I won't tune in to the Super Bowl.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Joan,  I'm smiling at the story of the boy who yelled "Play Ball".  It reminded me of the first time I took Miss Emily (sister of the performer) to a stage production.  At intermission, she asked if it was "half time".

Pea-soup fog around my house this morning.  Hope it clears in time for me to get to church.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, I had the best sleep in a week last night. I am still yawning though.No sunshisne this morning, dark dreary morning, might be one reason I slept till 9. Now my coffee is tasting good.

LARRY  lately I never feel rested. Been having too many appointments and going out always tires me.

JEANNE LEE  like you when the roads were slippery I tried to keep the right wheels on the less traveled right sides of the road to get traction. Works better than the center of the lanes that get slippery.

HAL  like most people I dislike needles but if they make me feel better I will take them. One the pain doctor put in my back last week had my left leg jump off the table. He said that was unusual. Leave it to me to be different. He did say my spine is a mess. Odd because I never knew I had Scoliosis until 7 years ago when the first Xray was taken of my back. I heard Kickoff is 6:30 pm eastern time.  Go Patriots.

JOAN  a short visit is better than none. I know how I felt the last time my daughter was here. That was a very short week and the first time since she got married that we had time for each other. When she left I had that lonely feeling too.

JUNE  I am so glad I did finally found a good doctor. Been too long since I had one. I always have something to eat before taling any pills. Only one I take first in the morning and that is Prevacid.

JANE   wonderful project for you and your granddaughter. Talking to some in this building about this group they do not understand how we can feel close when we have never and will never meet in person. They have never tried a computer and say they cannot be bothered. There are 4 computers in our library and only 1 works and all that can be done on it is play games. Even the 99 year old plays games on it.

MARY ANN  glad you now have a grab bar in your bathroom. I know how glad I was when my son put one in the bathroom for me when I lived in that apartment.

JOY  life would be boring if we all thought alike. Glad we are all different.

DON  yes there is life away from sports. I know for you Hockey is like a national sport.

PHYLLIS  timely graphic this week, thanks.

JOAN  cinnamon coffee cake will be great this morning. Sure chuckled with Play Ball. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  glad you will take it easy today.

LLOYD  glad you plan on taking it easy today.

HAL  thought it was Lady Gaga at the stupid bowl tonight, Oops excuse me super bowl.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Callie.  Cute story about Miss Emily.

Gloria--Good morning.  Great you slept so well.  I don't think many in our age group are enthralled with Lady Gaga.

Radioman34

Hal another reason for not watching the super bowl is that it starts at 1:30 a.m.

Mary Ann

Jane, Natalie's project sounds much like that of my cousin's granddaughter.  She went to St Mary's of Notre Dame and is/was working with people who have problems.  Once when I was in Indy, she interviewed me for practice.  For a while she worked with the University but I think she is with a company now:  to tell the truth, I really don't know. 

Both Dot and I said we wished we could have slept in this morning, but we didn't.  We did our usual and both of us had burgers this morning. 

I won't be watching the Super Bowl either.

Mary Ann

JoanFL

Radioman--That's an extremely good reason.:)

Mary Ann--I do think it's great that you and Dot go to church together and then go out for breakfast/lunch.

JaneS

My carpets are all CLEAN!  And I washed all the curios and cleaned all the furniture.  There's a sparkle in my living room that hasn't been there in a long time. 

My daughter went thorough all the things Frankie left here and she's taking some of them home, chucking some of them and right now she at Goodwill leaving some of them.  My shed will be empty! 

I heard it was to be Lady Gaga at the super bowl, too.  But I'm not going to watch to find out.

Christy and I are cooking pheasant (which her husband shot and she brought with her) and a new recipe with Brussels sprouts and tomatoes that I found on the internet.  I think I'll bake a potato to go with it all.  Anybody want dibs on the leftovers?

Thanks for the go ahead to share information with Natalie.  I'll let you all know how that goes.  She'll be calling me again next weekend.  I think her class is on Friday! 

LARRY you're right.  We are doing some "oral history" in the process of the talks.  She has some specific questions about things like Medicare and Medigap and Social Security and how I feel about not being able to drive at night.  She also asked about places that offer housing for Seniors and I shared some of the things I learned from my friends on this site.  But we did do a lot of reminiscing and remembering!  She grew up in Lewisburg so I had a lot of chances to spend time with her and her brother as they grew.  That's a real blessing!

Enjoy the rest of your day, Everyfriend, no matter how you spend it. 

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Janie--Your living spaces are so clean the sparkle makes me blink all the way down here.  I think the project you're doing with Natalie is most interesting.  I'll take dibs on your leftovers from supper.

angelface555

Good afternoon from the Interior! Farrah is fine and up to her usual. Except she has added a new one of padding around and around my bed, then plopping behind me on the pillow to play with my hair. Once she feels I'm awake, she streaks to her food dish, mission accomplished!

I really slept in today, I'm taking four PSP classes, each of which necessitates three lessons per week and a Grammar lesson that necessitates one lesson per week, turned in. I went to bed last night at 8 PM, slept to almost 1 AM, then 4 AM and finally fully awoke at 11:51 AM! Not only that, but sent one lesson to the wrong class, but the right teacher! I need to slow down and pay particular attention.

I am not a sports watcher unless I or someone I'm particularly fond of is playing. If it's nice outside, why not go out and enjoy it by hiking or picnicking, fishing or rock climbing? People here have some type of sports field in just about every corner of this town and you can hear the shouting all over in the summer as a continuous dull roar. I don't see the attraction myself, but some friends are fanatics who rattle off scores and stats at the drop of a hat.

halkel

Yep, you all are right, it is Lady Gaga........senior moment

Lindancer

Good late afternoon, it has been and in and out day.  I had wrote a long post, and it went puff, after I went to answer a phone call.

Phyllis, thanks for the Valentine graphic.

MaryAnn, good to hear Alicia, is still doing well. Prays going her way.

Amy, good you got to sleep in, you needed that.

Lloyd and Don always good to see you posting.

Gloria, I also slept till 9 this AM. Then I got up took my meds. Of course had my coffee, and as it was Sunday I had my aunt Jemima pan cakes, with two turkey scague. I get the package that has the 2 pancakes and sausage in it. they had them on sale the other day in Stop & Shop. I only eat two pancakes at a time, and toast the other one during the week.

Jane, that sound like a very interesting program that Natalie is doing. You can tell her about what fun the ninety year olds have in here.  :) 

Joan, that joke about the little kid also remained me of the this time we took Dennis to a Broadway show. He must have been about six, we went to see The Girls in 309, with Peggy Wood. A few minuets after the curtain went up Dennis stood up and said very loudly, they are alive. We were in the balcony.  He thought we were going to see a movie.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JoanFL

Angelface--Seems Farrah is continually surprising you with new antics.  I don't watch much sports either.  The rest of my family are addicts.

Linedancer--Sorry you lost a post.  Cute story about Dennis.

Where's June today?  I hope she is OK.

Mary Ann

I watched golf from Phoenix this afternoon and this tour went into four Sudden Death holes before the player from Japan won.  I started to watch golf a few years ago because there was nothing on TV that interested me and folders on the computer get smaller and smaller.  And here I am those few years later still watching golf for the same reasons.  Since I bought my Windows 10 laptop, I have been reading more news stories but many of those are repeated for a few days before being replaced. 

Kendrick has a knack of appearing on my bed just as it is time for me to get up.  I talk to him and pet him for a while but sometimes like Sunday mornings, I have to get up so I can get dressed.  He lies on my bed (after helping me make it) even after I leave for church.  He hasn't tried to fuss with my hair, but he will nudge me until I pay attention to him. 

Tom came home from wherever he was so he can watch the Super Bowl game.  He usually watches at someone else's home, but he has his own flat wide-screen TV now and I think the man he usually watched with is not available today.  Tom watches football and I watch golf!  And never the twain shall meet.

Mary Ann

Sandy

It is great MaryAnn that you both have your own TV,  so you each can watch what  you want.     
Today each family member has there own TV, Phone,  and Computer (which often times is their computer).... 

I remember there was one time when we only had one phone,  and one tv per family,   and NO COMPUTERS !!!
How spoiled we have all become.   (But I love it this way)
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

June Drabek

Gee, I haven't been in to gab with all of you yet today…I did go Church and came home for a nap, then ordered my groceries on line and that took over an hour, the I had some soup for lunch, back downstairs to get a new supply of library books, home for another long nap and now here. I should be eating some some supper, but not a bit hungry.

Janie, I am sure none of us would regret being on your Grandaughters program, just the opposite. I feel we are an unusual group of like minded people. I know all my friends think we are great. I pray your Grandaughters aim of helping others comes true. We have a program starting here that sounds wonderful . This young mother has been with Hospice for eight years. Now she is using her talents here as an employee of Rowntree doing similar work for any of us needing that type of help. No charge to us.

Bis, they had a big party downstairs today for the Superbowl crowd. I think I was having a nice nap about then. I do not understand football or have a favorite team, unfortunately.

I'm here Bis, sorry I'm so late. I am sleeping more and more it seems.

Sandy, when we lived in Chicago we had the first t.v. in the neighborhood. It was a very small one, so Ed installed a pull-out magnifying glass so everyone could view it. My in-laws lived up in our apartment almost every night of the week. My little Polish mother in law loved watching the wrestling matches. I loved watching her…she would get so excited.

I have had a small supper, and looking forward to an early bed and book. I get a grocery order delivered tomorrow, other than that, not much going on, which suits me fine. Dori sent me a group of pictures of Ashley June…she is growing up too soon, will be two years old in Sept.

Have a good night my dear ones. I love you all…a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck. God keep you well and safe. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

halkel

Got to watch the first quarter and then wife woke up from a nap with bad pain in her tummy and sick to stomach, throwing up.  My daughter the RN told us it could be appendix so off to the emergency room, signed in at 640 and just got home at mid-night. Blood work, CT scan and they found a kidney stone and infection.  Had to wait until a consult with Urologist and have to see him tomorrow.  Big stone 7MM, but they got the pain under control and no more throwing up. will pickup five scripts in AM. 

So much for Super Bowl Sunday.

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's cranberry, banana and blueberry muffins to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

CHUCKLES

Random Acts of Thinking

So I was having lunch with Bobby Fischer, the former world chess champion, and the table had a checkered tablecloth. It took him two hours to pass the salt.

I was stunned last night when my wife told me I was too wrapped up in myself. When did I get a wife?

I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it brilliantly.

A dollar may not go as far as it used to, but what it lacks in distance, it makes up for in speed.

There's nothing wrong with teenagers that 30 years won't fix.

Is there a Bureau of Missing Personalities?

I know I'm beautiful on the inside ... I have the colonoscopy video to prove it.

They told me I was gullible and I believed them.

In a recent poll, 60 percent of people believe their workplace is louder now than it was five years ago. The other 40 percent didn't hear the question.

Yeah, I'm a bird lover. Mostly chicken. Mostly fried.

I was visiting a monastery recently and I saw a sign that read, "In case of fire, break vow of silence."

Food For Thought

NIT's CHIEF PICKER
(by Larry Harp, Bedford, Texas)

I cannot count the number of hours I work each week. I work for a company called NIT. I have been with them for years and have now been promoted to the position of Chief Picker.

There are thousands of employees worldwide, but it seems we always have room for one more. Despite the cruel remarks of others, calling us "nit-pickers" and all, we provide a much needed service.

Who else can you depend on to tell you what you're doing wrong with things in your life? To be very honest, everybody needs us to stand-by and correct almost every move they make.

In our reports, we use a lot of words like, "always", "never", and my favorite, "completely messed up."

You just know there are so many people who can't seem to get anything right, so we have to be there to watch over them "all" the time. You don't have to go far to find people who need this kind of help.

In fact, we have a lot of "pickers" work out of their own homes. They make themselves available to their spouses, children and other family members.

How many times we have aborted mistakes in the personal lives of others? There's no telling how much good we do.

But after work -- and many times I have taken my work home with me -- I go to the company gym for a work-out. You just have to keep in shape these days. We don't have any of that "high-priced" stuff, like weight rooms, sauna's, exercise bikes or treadmills.

We have found over time that the best results come from only one exercise, "jumping to conclusions."

Mind you, I have never seen any loss of weight for myself, or anybody else for that matter, but regardless we work-out every day.

We certainly don't hold to that old adage about "assuming" things. There is no such thing as a "benefit of a doubt."

No, we're sure when we are "jumping to conclusions" that we are always correct.

Some folks try to confuse us with what they call, "known facts." Well, if it was known, why didn't we know?

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me, I must go home and rest. Hey, that guy over there has on two different socks and I think I know why he's talking to that secretary.

Generally, I say, "I shouldn't tell you this, but..."

But I always do. I think I have nit-picking on the brain. I must rest now. I have several judgments to make tomorrow, so bye for now.

Just try to stay out of trouble -- you know one of us is always watching.

Thought of the Day

We were called to be witnesses, not judges.

--Author Unknown

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN....
...good morning...I will happily join you in a cranberry and blueberry muffin...

" There is no present like the time "

Amy

Good morning everyone
Snow has stopped and there is some to deal with this morning with the snow blower.
Not a lot going on here today, just prepare for the trip to the city tomorrow ,we leave here around 5 am.

Hal, I hope your wife gets comfort from the meds and the kidney stone taken care of.

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning Vanilla-Jackie.  I'm happy to have you join me.

Amy--Good morning.  Sorry you have to dance with that snowblower again.  You sure have to leave early when you need to go to the city.