Random Image

Autumn Tree

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe 3-26-17

Started by Jeanne Lee, March 26, 2017, 06:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

To Gloria...
I am sorry to hear that you have had yet another heart attack....   but glad to hear that you are on your way to recovery...   

It has been a rainy day here on the rocky coast of Maine.     There is still a little bit of snow on the ground,  but it is quickly melting..     
I hope that this is the end of our real Wintry weather

All is well here.  I had a nice visit with Kelly,  Madison and Fe today before going to Good Will and then on to do some grocery shopping.   

Have a good evening,  Everyone.
Sandy
:smitten: 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Carol

Gloria D.  Wishing you a complete recovery after your heart issue.  You are important to us.

Tisie - Shirley:  Just a minute - I think you wrote that you are YOUR OWN DOCTOR!  Hmmmmm yes, that is like being your own lawyer, if I may say so.  Wish you could have my very practical female doc - she is one of the top docs in the state and gives me hugs.  HUGS to you - please take care. 

Sandy:  Did you find anything at Goodwill?  You would like the local thrift store here - almost everyone is a volunteer and profits go to local needs.  Nice to visit with family, isn't it?   

June:  You are very wise to plan your daily routines - gentle hugs your way too.

We are trying to prime and paint outdoor furniture and it has been windy - too much so we can't work on it for another two days apparently.  Well, Don does most of it - I take care of everything else.  A couple we really don't know well from back home is leaving a week early from here - she is bored.  I refuse to take offense as we have had them over and taken them all over about 5 plus days out of this month.  She is just a real go-getter, always biking, etc. and her husband is not well, very slow in walking, etc.  She sent a note that she was bored and they are leaving but did thank us for taking them out and having them over. 

Hi Callie!

Thanks for any information on Joan. 

JaneS

Good night Everyfriend and may God bless us, every one!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone...

On the fly this morning as hubby wants to go gallivanting,not sure where we will end up. I figure if he wants to  go we will go...

Just marking my spot.

Have a great day everyone..

`
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

Good morning everyone!
I fell asleep on the couch and never bid you all a good night. hope you all had a good nights sleep. must have as I see no one here.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Amy you came in as i was posting. have a great day and do not spend all your money in one place and save a little for Later.

Lloyd

JaneS

I'm off to Wally World.  Wish me smiles!

Jeanne Lee

Here's the latest from Lloyd.  Those twins are really growing - and more beautiful and precious!  :thumbup:

HERE

And HERE

And HERE

and HERE

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Jeanne Lee thanks you do great work. I need to figure out some way to re pay you for your good deed's.

Lloyd

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Lloyd, are you sure those twins are kin to you, they are awful pretty.

Janie, hope you have/had a good day with lots of smiles and thank you's.

I am up this morning early, well earlier than I have been getting up last few days and feel almost human.  Hope it last.

Amy hope you and hubby have a good day out, maybe a good lunch thrown in to boot.  And the weather cooperates.

Callie, hope you got some work done on you pot garden.  You do know pot gardens are the best kind, no weeding hardly and easy to care for.  And I am sure you know this, but tomatoes make great hanging baskets, only takes about half a bushel of dirt.

Coffee is about ready, anyone want to join me.  Wish Joanie was back home, she always was ready for a cup of coffee and some good conversation.  Get well soon, Joanie, we all miss you and your company.  I will keep the pot on for you.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on another nice morning.  Once again we are expecting to get into the low 80's this afternoon.  This morning Pat has a doctor's appointment to discuss the results of her MRI and what her next steps may be.  Following that I plan on going to the Church for our Adult Fellowship monthly meeting.  We have a lady coming to talk about butterflies.  That will be it for today. 

Jenny, hope you are feeling more "up" today.  I think it usually takes a day or two on returning home to get back into our normal routines.  Hard to believe your grandson is now old enough to be working on his Eagle Boy Scout work as I remember so well when you feared you would never have grandchildren. 

Callie, the alerts on my phone are not that often so don't mind the alert noises, other than in the middle of the night. 

JaneS, I think it is a good idea to keep your phone turned on as you never know when you might need it to call for help. 

Gloria, I think I am having one of the days that you described when my energy seems to have left me.  However, I will keep going until this afternoon when I get home from the luncheon. 

deAngel, no wonder you are tired if you are getting only three hours of sleep each night.  Glad to see your write that you were feeling better.  Do you nap during the day?

Hal, glad to see you were feeling a bit better yesterday and even better today.  It sounds like you have a lot of different weather prospects to select from. 

Carol, over 20 churches in our town combine to run a Thrift Store and provide food and assistance to those in need.  It is also staffed with volunteers although pretty sure the director is paid, as she should be as that is a lot of work. 

Hope your gallivanting is very enjoyable today.  Nice that your husband is feeling up to doing so. 

Lloyd, those twins are beautiful.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and thanks Jeanne for posting them so we could also enjoy them. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the cool but bright rocky coast of Maine.    Still waiting for the warmer weather but of course,  this is what Spring is usually like here in the North East.   

I enjoy "Good Willing"  and "Thrift Shop Hunting"...  What I can pass up are the purses...    I am hooked on purses.     And I managed to get me another one yesterday..    I like them soft, over the shoulder and big enough to hide my collapsible cane,  to free up my hands as I peruse the isles.       And there is always a ton for me to look at! 

Lloyd ...  Those Twins are gorgeous!!!!    Thanks so much for sharing their pictures....     How very,  very special ..   

Have a good day everyone..
Sandy 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Gloria

Morning everyone, another gloomy one here, this dampness is not kind to these ole bones. Don't want to do anything except lay on the couch and watch TV. Now that is being lazy for me.

JUNE  like you taking a shower is work these days. I now wait till my CNA is here, leave her to cleaning while I shower and dress. Every time the nurse comes she asks if I can still shower and dress myself.  I cannot imagine me needing  some help for that. A neighbor offered then a truckload of compost, that and some soil will be used to fill the pots.

GLORIA de  that 3 hours sleep is way too little. Hope you start getting more than that. Not raining here right now but very foggy.

HAL  love those weather people with their possible this or that. Even with all the equipment they have these days we might as well go by the Old Farmers Almanac. My son had 1 plum tree but a storm toppled it, he also has 1 pear tree and only 1 golden delicious. I always get some of those. His older son has helped him over the years.

SANDY   at first I thought you were talking to me till you mentioned the heart attack,  there are 2 Glorias here, Gloria De and me.

CAROL  some people are never happy where they are. At least she did thank you.

JANE  miss your morning greetings.

AMY  your hubbly must feel pretty good to go out galavanting. Enjoy the drive.

LLOYD  have a good day. The twins are adorable, love those sunglasses.

JEANNE LEE  thanks for the links.

LARRY  I am home most of the time so no reason to have no energy. Have not been able to get out for a walk either with all the rain we have been having.

Hope we hear more on how JOAN is doing

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Jeanne Lee

It's always a real pleasure to post Lloyd's photos - and those of anyone else, too.   :thumbup:

Lloyd, no need to "do something" - just keep me in your prayers.  That's the best gift anyone can possibly give me.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

June Drabek

Happy sunny Tuesday morning everyone. We gather together, again, Thanks be to God.

Amy..have fun galavanting girl. It is good to hear your husband wants to get out and go.

Lloyd, I didn't get in to say Goodnight either. Some days there is just no energy left by nightfall. I know I was really weary and the bed kept calling my name.

Janie, I just know you will have lots and lots of smiles, as you give them out first of all. I wish you energy as well.

Jeanne Lee, thank you for posting the picture of the adorable babies. My, they do grow so quickly. And those smiles are so heart-warming…on the parents too !

Hal,good news that you are feeling chipper today. Enjoy ! Bis always welcomed your cup of coffee Hal,and I know she would love to be able to do so now. God willing, that day will soon be here.

Sandy, I too used to enjoy the Thrift Shops. We never knew what we may find that we couldn't live without. I still have apiece of carnival (?) glass that I keep hard candies in. So many fun things that I have had to leave behind with each move I make.

Gloria, I could have help with a shower here too, but I want to keep doing as much as I can while I can. By the time I have made my bed and dressed myself, I have to lay down and rest and catch my breath. It really wears me out. You are wise to shower when your CNA is present..I had a nasty fall about a year ago…I fainted in the shower.

I have two things to do today, a food meeting, and then on to Balance and Mobility (the later may or may not be taken...depends on what the body says) Now it is time to stretch out on the recliner for a bit, and then a nice walk around the gardens.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Joy

Lloyd ,  what sweet little girls you have now.  They are sure little cuties.

Thanks, Jeanne Lee for posting them for Lloyd.

I was sure hoping to see some news from Joan.  Do hope she is recovering well.

Joy
BIG BOX

Carol

Joy:  Nice to see you!

Lloyd: I would love to twin sit - they are darling. 

Gloria:  When you mentioned a neighbor offering compost, that reminded me of a neighbor saying the same for my garden.  Only, I discovered they dumped fresh manure and all my crop died immediately.  Still, I thanked them but never took them up on their other offers again  :D  Yes, it was crazy. 

Amy

We struck out going on a road that was so crooked but on that road we were entertained by deer!! We watched them frolic together for a while then carried on. Stopped for a bite to eat in a restaurant and lo and behold a friend and her hubby came in so we had a good chat. At 10:15 hubby was ready to turn around and come home..he slept part way and is now laying down.

Larry, get got in before the appointed time and Dr was pleased at how the incision is looking now. We have 10 more days of antibiotics and that sound do it. Hope Pat hears good news today.

Jenny, hope your feeling a lot better today..

Hal, good to hear your feeling better....we did have a meal out and I had bacon,egg,toast and homefries with onions in them...bet I am going to pay for those onions but gosh it was good...

Gloria, I like just about everything as long as it is cooked.no sushi for me...and cook the wiggle out of my fish too!! I have been making smoothies..I had bought some salad fixings at Costco with kale, brussels sprouts etc but we didn't care for it. Into the smoothy it went, I know it is good for you and I hated to just waste it .

Jane ,hope you not only have smiles at work but some hugs and giggles too!!!

Gloria de, hope your feeling a lot better too today..

June, it was a nice outing..and now the fire is going and both dogs are curled up sound asleep..

Lloyd, beautiful grandaughters!!! Thank you and Jeanne Lee for posting them.

Carol, your fertilizer story reminds me of the time I was asked if I wanted pumpkin to make pies.......and I never said yes again either!

Enjoy your day..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Lloyd Hammond

thanks everyone Nancy on her trip got to hold them I am sort of jealous.

Lloyd

Lindancer

Good afternoon, still raining.  I am yawning, did sleep a little late this AM, but watched Show Boat, at 2AM.  I love the music, I could close my eyes and listen to the music, I have watched it so many times.One of my favorite shows, saw it on Broadway beautiful sets. 7th row center.

Thanks Sandy and Carol for thinking of me. I feel a little stronger every day. I did not have any of the procedures the doctors wanted to do, no more invasions. At 93 let me just gently enjoy my life. I am so lucky I have great friends and neighbors.

Larry, hope Pat had good news.
Amy, so happy to read, your husband like to go out.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JaneS

Hello all!  I'm home from work (lots of smiles, a couple of giggles but no hugs today).  I've chased the dogs out in the rain twice, fed them, fed me and my eyes are at half mast!  I think I'll stretch out on the couch and see if they go the rest of the way closed.

Lloyd, I always zero in on twins because I raised a set of twins.  I love seeing them and I always wonder if the "twin things" that happened with mine will happen with them.  As everyone else said, they are beautiful!  Can you tell them apart?

Amy, did she give you a whole pumpkin?  Not only do I buy a whole pumpkin for myself, I have to send one to Texas for my daughter.  Seems they don't grow the ones my dad swore by when we were growing up. 

I'm off to the couch to check out my eyes and see if there are any escaped zzzs down in the cushions. 

Have a good rest of the day!

June Drabek

Gloria de, I feel just as you do...nothing invasive..I am ready when God decides it is time. My family and friends all understand my decision and will obey my wants.

Janie, I hope your eyes were listening to your needs and that you are now in that restful stage that when you wake, you will be "rarin' to go". Bless you !

June Drabek

I went down to return some books to our library and ran into a program I have never attended. It was wonderful. Beverly Bender is the speaker. She had us standing, sitting, laughing, and having a marvelous time. I felt five years younger. She suggested things like, "when you stagger into the bathroom in the morning, look in the mirror, and tell your self how great you are. Give yourself a big hug and laugh. And laugh some more. I'm going to give it a try. She calls her program "Laughing for the health of it". And you know what ? it works. Give it a try kids.

Amy

Jane
When my friend asked me about a pumpkin I said yes, well she said can you take another one? Bear in mind I thought we were talking pie pumpkins..tiny ones.so yes I could take two.......then she said well I only have one more to get rid of do you think you could use the 3.....hmmmm.
When they drove in with their truck I thought something was odd........here I could see pumpkin sticking out over the top of the box!! They had brought monster big pumpkins, you know the ones you see at the fairs. Well I did pumpkin down, I gave pumpkin to anyone and everyone...the hens got some and so did the cows!! When I cut into one  at the top the meat was about 7 inches thick!! We did have a lot of laughs over that  though and we did eat a lot of pies,breads and muffins!!
Jimmy Dean

Denver

A post to share from Linda, regarding Our Joan.

My mom is continuing to improve. They're planning to move her to Kindred Hospital later today or this evening (visiting hours 8am-8pm), where they'll work on weaning her off the ventilator and she'll have physical therapy to regain her mobility and strength. I'm flying out tonight to go back to work for a couple days and then will fly back to Melbourne again at end of week; Edward will be here with mom in the meantime. Thanks to everyone for the continued well wishes.
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

It's good to hear good news about Joan, even if she isn't getting better as fast as we'd like.  I remember she was in the hospital a long time before.

Amy, I wanted to try making a pumpkin pie from scratch.  I did not like to peel the skin off, but I had a mission.  I finally had enough to cook, which I did.  I had enough for three pies.  The first one was so pale and tasted that way so when I made the second one, I put in molasses and that did the trick.  It looked and tasted better.  But that was the first and last attempt at a pumpkin pie from scratch.  It wasn't worth it as it's so much easier to use whatever they use for pumpkin from a can.  I have a favorite recipe - Libby's.

Tom's been busy with the funeral for his friend, now one today (small, just family) for the son so he hasn't seen his twin granddaughters for a while.  Both are home now so he said we'd go to Holland to see them either later this week or next.  Lloyd's great-granddaughters are darling, so alert.

Mary Ann

halkel

:sidedance: :wave2: :sidedance:  Joanie!  Way to go.  Get well soon.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Good to see the hopeful report on Joan.

LOL at the pumpkin stories!

June,  what a delightful program you "happened upon" - "right up your alley", as the saying goes.

Gloria,  hope you are continuing to feel better after your heart attack and hospitalization.   I once heard that EMTs here will take ambulance patients to whichever hospital has space available in the ER and ICU.  Apparently, someone could end up on the opposite side of the city from where they live.

Larry, hope Pat got a good report.   

Hal,  not much to do with the "pot" garden.  The daffodils in the flower beds have all stopped blooming so most of what I did was trimming those stalks back so the greenery can develop food for the bulb to use next year. I've heard about growing tomatoes in hanging pots - but I suspect the birds would think the 'maters were just for them.

After such a lovely afternoon yesterday, the sky is gray and gloomy today - and there's a sharp northeast wind.  Predictions are dire for stormy weather tonight but people I've talked to today think tornadoes are unlikely because it isn't hot and muggy.  We shall see.

I was dreading the appointment with my tax accountant this morning. Surprise!   I don't owe anything to the IRS or to the state - plus the refunds will cover all but one estimate payment this year - and that one isn't due until next January.  :thumbup:

Between that appointment and other errands,  I haven't even read the headlines in the morning paper.

Off I go.....

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere has had/is having an Enjoyable Day.

JaneS

There were some zzzx left on the couch and my eyelids made it all the way to closed!  I feel refreshed and ready to finish the day.  I've made dog food for the next 3 days and the dogs now think it's time for supper.  I told them to bear in mind that today was a work day and we had a late lunch so we'll wait a bit for supper.  I'm going to make it easy and take one of my homemade dinners out of the freeze and warm it up.  I'm not sure what it will be but that makes it even better.  I purposely don't label them so I'm surprised each time.

About the pumpkins...if you get a can of pumpkin that lists the ingredients as "pumpkin" and that's all, it's OK.  However, they do not use the kind of pumpkin that my Dad told me was the best.  And if any of you ever decide to do a real one, get a "crook neck pumpkin".  I'm not sure that's the official name for them but that's what Daddy always called them and they grew them on the farm when he was growing up.  Also, don't peel it first!  Cut it in pieces and put it in a large pot with  3 or 4 cups of water, bring it to a boil and simmer it until it's soft.  It's a heckofa lot easier to peel after it's cooked.  Or, if you have a larg roaster pan, you can do the same with it in the oven only use less water.

Amy, I've never seen a pie pumpkin that big.  I wonder what kind it was? 

Mary Ann there are round pie pumpkins that come in "yellow" or "white".  You must have had a white one.  The do look a bit bland.  I don't like the flavor either.

I think that's all I have to say on the subject of pumpkins but if I think of something else, I'll be back to bore you some more.

Enjoy your evening!  And take care of YOU!

Mary Ann

Jane, the pumpkin I had was one bought to display or be a jack-o-lantern.  It was so many years ago that I don't remember.  My dad died in 1970 and he was alive when I made the pies.  I am sure I cut up the pumpkin then cooked it, then peeled it.  Even so, it was a job.  I wanted to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, did it and won't do it again!!!  I had the experience and was pleased with the results, but once was enough. 

I have heard that what we buy as pumpkin is not really pumpkin, but squash and I don't know what squash is used.  I buy Libby's pumpkin and put in various spices, eggs and milk and that is that.  I haven't made any pie in recent years and especially since Tom is here, I don't cook.  Tom does.

Mary Ann