Random Image

Deer

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Is it just me,  or are there fewer members posting, than there were before the new "improved" version of S&F?  Not just this folder, but the others as well?   Seems like I have to take so many more steps now, in order to post a message - compared to before?   Also, some people saying that they aren't seeing any replies to their messages, so they are giving up? 

I guess there is nothing we can do about it, but I do hate to lose so many of our regular members.   By late afternoon, here on the West Coast, I can expect to see no more messages in S&F, until the following morning.   Over the weekend, we did have some conversation going in Books, and in Television, so I hope that continues.

Today Sandy is coming over to do her laundry, and I hope she will stay for dinner.   If not, then AJ and I will probably go to Kirk's for a hamburger, or maybe to The Diner, right here in town.

Larry - we also like the stuffed bell peppers, from Costco.   My favorite of the ready to eat casseroles from there, is the Ravioli Lasagne.   We also like that big container of freshly made chicken soup.

Well, guess I'll go take my shower, and get the bathroom cleaned up.  Hope you all have a nice Sunday, and also hope to hear from everyone . . . especially Gloria de?

I see that my Preview Box, is not working this morning?   Just one line from my post is showing there.  Guess I'll have to proofread after it It's posted?

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the cold but
sunny,  rocky coast of maine. 

I think that the problem posters are having concerns
the "Quick REPLY"  option that is at the bottom
of every page.     

Which give the false impression that there are no
more posts to read...    when often there are many
more pages of replys to read.... 

I don't use "Quick Reply"  but instead
just click on "reply" button that shows up .. only
after I have read all of the posts ...

So sad that we are loosing posters because of the
problems that have come with this new soft-ware.

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I feel there are fewer posters but not just since the change.  It is nothing unusual for me to check in after my suppertime and there are no posts - anywhere.  I know Larry posts once a day.  While I might post about 8 or 9 am my time, that is 5 or 6 am your time and you're probably not awake yet.  Every one doesn't post every day.  Patricia posts once or twice a day but she's four hours after I post.  The same in Soda Shoppe with so many time zones.

Dot and I went to church this morning, then went to the Cholesterol Pit for breakfast/brunch where we always solve the world's problems - or try.

We have a decent day but our temperature is only 32 degrees so we're not setting any heat records.  Tom will be back late tonight and I'm going to work on my Christmas messages.  I gave them to both Dot and Jan and both of them liked them.  Today I will fold the sheets and put them in envelopes so when Tom prints the address labels, they will be ready for mailing.  I found foreign postage is $1.15 now.  I have three that go out of the country and thankfully they're all first class.

I think I'll try to sneak in a nap too.  I put some catnip on Kendrick's bed and that is where he has been since early morning.  I also discovered my snake plant has a blossom - in December!!!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the plus twelve with light snow Interior! We are expected to have our first below zero days on Wednesday with a high of minus five. We've been alternating twenties and teens for a couple of weeks now with snowy days but little accumulation.

While I was standing in a bank line yesterday for a couple of quarter rolls, I overheard one teller complaining that she was sick of this new weather style. She wanted it to either warm up or actually snow; that this ice just seemed never ending! The other teller said she wanted an Elvis Christmas but didn't think that was likely either!  ;D

With Farrah, while the vet said no to my idea of only putting out morning food, "for a formerly abused cat," as he felt that, " it would create more issues." I have decreased the amount from three-fourths kibble to a half cup. Farrah still leaves five or six pieces of kibble for the next morning which I then place on top of her new kibble. The vet says her body size is overweight and he believes she needs exercise. For a cat who doesn't play, or get off on catnip how do you achieve that?

Marilyne, I'm afraid that I agree that the new regime has more problems than benefits and we were never quite told the reason for the change. I have found most answers by simply messing around on my own but many don't do that or cannot and a primer or simply a designated practice area would be nice. While I realize that we were losing posters before, we are losing more due to this new editor and lack of explanations available.

MaryAnn, I am always conscious of my four hours behind most posters and eleven or twelve hours behind with many from other countries. Speaking of which, they're missing since the change other than Bubble.

Marilyne

Sandy - I agree, that Quick Reply, is NOT the way to go.  Regular Reply is better, because it makes all the latest messages show up right under the box. You still have to scroll down to make sure you didn't miss any, but it's much easier.  I don't understand why there are two options, (boxes), there anyway?? There should only be one box, IMO.

Mary Ann - I'm trying to remember which members used to post late afternoon and evening messages from the West Coast, besides me??  Not sure, but I think that Patricia, Joan and I, are the only three members left, from this time zone?  Patricia is an hour behind CA and WA, in the AK zone. In the old days, I do recall a few "night owls" from the East and Midwest, or those who woke up during the night would often post a message.

Last night I stayed up later than usual, waiting for Paul, to arrive!  The schedule said 11:45 Duluth time, so I was all prepared at 9:45 here. He never showed up, and they didn't change the time schedule, so I kept waiting, until I finally gave up and went to bed at 11:00, my time.  I looked this morning, and see that he is scheduled to arrive sometime today, but I forgot when?  I doubt that I'll be watching, as I have lots of things to do today, but I'll double check on time, and hope to look inn time to catch his arrival.

Mary Ann

I've never used Quick Reply, in fact, I couldn't find it now.  I've always used the regular REPLY.  I have to watch when I use Quick Edit because if I want to change the color it doesn't do that; I have to click somewhere to Modify.

I am getting along OK with the new program, but I'm not "in love" with it. 

Kendrick and I just took a nap, however, now that we're both up, I have an idea he went back to his catnip smelling bed

The sun is shining for a change, which is a welcome surprise.

When I finish here, I'm going to work on my Christmas messages.  I can't call it a card that I send because it is on photo paper but so far people who have seen it are pleased with it.

Mary Ann

Joy

Just waiting until a little later to eat my dinner and checked back here to see how many new messages since this morning.  Not too many.

I agree that the new format is not as easy as before. I don't especially care for it either, but I am making the best of it.  I don't like that it doesn't take me to where I left off the time before,  I have been trying Shirley's way of going to the last posting and working my way back  to where I think I remember the last one I had read. And, , I think there are some who have not gotten back with us.

Jean from Florida has written that she is having trouble with the size of the text. The ones who go to the Photos New and Old board will really miss her great pictures and videos,  She has posted a couple times, but mentions that she is having problems.  And, she isn't  posting nearly as often as before.

I am having trouble with the size and color of my messages  just changing by their selves. Not sure what is happening with that.

But, I guess we will all still manage to work it all out sooner or later.

So happy that my portion of Maryland did not get any of the snow.  However, down in Southern Maryland they have accumulated several inches. 

I plan on having another bowl of the squash soup, a roast beef sandwich and some coleslaw for my dinner.  Then, I will see what movie is on the Hallmark Channel.

I spent several hours today helping to finish decorating the sitting area on our floor.  It looks so nice and several residents were passing through and remarked how nice it looked.  I have gotten rid of most of my decorations,  but another lady has quite a bit and spent a lot more time than I did putting it all out.  I have one of those fibre optic trees that I put out there.  So, between the two of us,   we both are pleased with how it all turned out.   I had some smaller things that I put out to fill in some empty spaces. 

MaryAnn, I had a lifetime best friend and she and I used to  talk several times a week. Both of our husbands used to ask what in the world did we find to talk about that often. We both used to say we were trying to solve the world's problems, but we never seemed to have much success. Most of my long-time friends have passed away, and I really miss our conversations.  I still have a friend who I have known since we were little, but she moved to another state and we really only correspond for the holidays.

I hope everyone will have a good evening.

Joy

BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I'm getting along OK (not great) with the new format and I'm doing a couple of things that take more time and perhaps soon I'll try to do at least one of them more rapid.  It is when posting and I do the highlighting one by one (please, everyone, don't give me instructions because I'm not in the mood and I'll ignore them).

Today when Dot and I were at our brunch she happened to mention that one of our condo men had died in August.  Apparently he didn't want anyone to know, no service, no obit.  He was an author of mystery stories and Dot bought one but he used so many profane words that she did not finish the book.  He also was a professor at a university about 50 miles north of here. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Interesting if you eat out a lot...

From "Today's Health" This story originally appeared on "Food & Wine."

Here are the 15 types of foods that restaurant industry insiders say they'd never dream of ordering.

1. "I don't trust hollandaise sauce to not come from a jacuzzi of aged bacterial growth."

2. "I avoid something that I think the kitchen doesn't experience much. If it's a steakhouse, I don't order the pasta. If it's a burger joint, I'll probably order a burger, not a chicken wrap. Don't send the kitchen into a frenzy because they can't remember how to prepare your food. And order something they're good at making."

3. "Swordfish. I've seen a chef cutting up and cleaning one before, and it's not pretty."

4. "Chicken is boring and overpriced for what it is. I try not to order anything with chicken that I can easily make myself."

5. "The daily specials are usually made up of ingredients that are the oldest in the kitchen."

6. "I don't dare touch salads. I've seen far too many waiters just shove their ungloved hands in the bins, and no one ever washes their hands enough for that to be ok."

7. "Any sushi special should be avoided."

8. "Chicken wings. Only because you work a wing night shift, and you watch the hundreds of wings splash into the deep fryers, and then there's the smell and sight of the chicken fat and juices congealed in the bins from where the baked wings sit before they get fried. It's a smell that you can't unsmell. It's not a gross smell, but it's a particular smell that now makes me feel ill."

9. "Soups, unless it's a soup-focused place. I learned how to make soups in culinary school, and you can tell the difference between a badly, hastily-throw-together soup, and one that is mindful. The former is what I realized I was getting most of the time, because a lot of normal restaurants just see it as a side dish or a cheap lunch item."

10. "Chicken. Too many times have I seen undercooked chicken, just because either the kitchen was slammed or the cook was being lazy."

11. "Soup of the day. It's just yesterday's leftovers."

12. "I'm always wary of chicken breasts. We'd prep a couple large containers of unbreaded chicken breasts that we would stretch over a week, sometimes a week and a half if business got slow."

13. "Beer that comes from the tap. No one cleans the fountain, and it usually has mildew festering in it."

14. "I avoid places that make coffee and don't rinse out the milk pitcher after steaming milk. This means it's likely the steam wand has crusty milk in it (that will have been cooked), the people aren't cleaning the coffee machine well, and your coffee will likely taste like tar."

15. "If you order the house wine, you're drinking the cheapest goon the bar manager thinks he can get away with."

Mary Ann

That's an interesting piece about what not to order if eating out.  We don't get fancy foods, in fact, eating burgers or sandwiches of some sort or other.  I seldom order chicken because we do eat a lot of it at home. 

Tom and I finished the Christmas envelopes and they will go in the mail tomorrow.   I started putting stamps on the envelopes, got interrupted and could not find the stamps.  I still have not found that particular card.  I was on the second side and took one off.  I don't recall opening any of the envelopes so I should not have put it in one.  I had more stamps so all was not lost.

I'm watching the Weather Channel right now and I'm astounded at the snow.  I don't remember the last time we had a foot of snow in a day as they have in North Carolina.  I hope all is well with Phyllis who posts in Soda Shoppe.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I haven't made any postings for a day or two on this forum but this morning I came into 137 emails of which at least 120 - 125 were from notifications from our site, even from  rooms I haven't posted in for some weeks, many being back-dated...I had originally unticked these rooms for notifications so have no Idea why they have started up again...I usually only come in to a maximum of 30 normal emails but was overwhelmed with the amount of emails this morning...I have now gone into my S & Fs account and unticked them all, lets see what happens...I feel the same as many of our posters...this new forum of ours is do-able but I would be happier if we reverted back to how it was before...It would be sad if we have lost good members- posters because of these changes...

Has anyone else noticed that when we press the preview button before posting, it only shows part of our post, not all, as it once did, so in that case how can we look for spelling mistakes before hitting that post button...
" There is no present like the time "

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is 36 degrees here according to the weather app on my phone.  It will remain cloudy with a high of 42 degrees with a 20% chance of rain until late afternoon when the probabilities go up to a max of 60%.  The termite inspector is suppose to be here around 8 am to do the annual inspection and refill the traps.  A friend is also due around 8 am to work with me for an hour.  I have to get in contact with the heating man to come and look at our heat pump, which remained frozen all day yesterday and I still see ice on the condenser this morning.  Fortunately, the emergency electric heat has kept us nice and comfortable.  I do have to take the car somewhere to have the air checked in the tires again as the warning light has been on for several days.  I also need to make a quick trip to Costco to return the curtains we forgot to take back last week.  I think that will be plenty for today. 

Marilyne, there are fewer folks posting and it is probably because we lost some faithful friends over the last couple of years and don't very often gain new folks, although they are certainly welcome and would soon feel a part of our cyber family.  I do try hard almost everyday to comment to everyone in some way.  I sure hate to see people give up but am beginning to understand better than sometimes small problems can become overwhelming particularly when we are not feeling up to par.  We have eaten a lot of the stuffed bell peppers from Costco and they make a quick and hardy meal and they are good.  We had one of the Ravioli Lasagna casseroles a few days ago and have at least one more meal of it frozen.  We haven't tried the freshly made chicken soup. 

Sandy, I have used the "Quick Reply" posting box for years.  I guess we each get comfortable with a particular way. 

Mary Ann, glad that all your work on your Christmas messages has been well received.  Glad you do not have too many to send out of the country as that is steep postage. 

Patricia, it sounds like other Fairbanks residents share your sentiments about your weather.  Isn't an Elvis Christmas a "blue Christmas"?  A half cup of food doesn't seem to be very much for Farrah.  Is she adjusting to the reduction?  Unfortunately this new software has been hard for us all to adjust to and based on past experiences we will have more updates in the future. If folks would state what they need explained about this software I am certainly that some of us could help explain it. I am not sure I wanted to read all of those things to watch out for in a restaurant but sure they are probably on the mark.  It is a wonder any of us have survived with all that is lurking out there. 

Joy, I use two tabs to read and post and on my desk monitor can display them side by side.  In one I do my postings and in the other I scroll back to where I last posted and start working my way down through the new comments.  One can also go back and forth with the tabs or pages and so that on my laptop screen.  I have made a note and will try to help Jean with the size of her postings problems.  Glad you were able to decorate your sitting area on your floor.     

Jackie, it sounds like you are very popular to get so many emails.  :).  Unfortunately we can not revert back to the old software.  Have you tried the scroll bar in the preview box to see the rest of your message.  Also in the bottom right hand of that box is a little symbol that when you hover over it you see a slanted arrow.  Hold the right mouse button down on it and it increased the length of the posting box.

Mary Ann

Larry, it's been a bit over three hours since you posted and I hope your temp has increased since then because we're at 32 degrees now, not too far from where you were at 7:30 am.

I didn't get out of bed until nearly 9 am this morning.  I must have been sleeping soundly because Kendrick was beside me and I never heard or felt him get on the bed.  He's still there and I don't have the blind open yet.

With your emergency electric heat, you must have a fairly big electric bill.  I am all electric except for heat and water heater.  I had an electric water heater in the house I grew up in and I had electric heat at the cottage.  I've had an electric range for years, after all, I worked for the electric utility.

I have no idea how to describe my reading and posting of S&F but I don't do much that others do.  I regularly get several folders listed when I sign on, most of which I don't read, but I ignore those and when I'm finished with the folders I want to read, I just click on "Mark All Folders Read" and there is nothing to read then.  I go on to something else, News or a Puzzle.

Larry, foreign postage is a little over twice what US postage is.  Our postage is now 50c for the first ounce so I don't think foreign is too bad.  The bad part is other countries don't deliver their mail as soon as we do, even in Canada.  My foreign mail goes to two relatives in Hamburg Germany and Jim's sister in BC Canada.  They might get their mail next year.

I can't imagine getting as many e-mails as Jackie got.  I think Patricia had something similar.  I'm getting a lot more Spam in my regular mail than I used to, but that was happening before the change. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I'm getting ready to go to Bass Pro Shop, this morning . . .  just because it's the most beautifully decorated store in the San Joe Area!  I love to  sit on the benches and enjoy the Christmas decorations.   They also have the best Santa Claus in the area, (or so I'm told), with a realistic little snow village, where he resides.  I like watching the children, and their reaction to him, as well as the proud parents taking pictures!  :)

While there, I hope to find a fishing reel for grandson, and maybe something cute to wear for our granddaughter.  There's a nice women's shop there also, with unique clothing. I'll be back later today with a full report!       

Jackie - I'm going to send you an email later today. My preview box is also no longer working right. Pulling the corner out to expand the box makes no difference.  The message is still not complete.

FlaJean

I understand the various workings of Seniors and Friends (making my font the correct size, etc.).  I use my iPad for almost everything on the Internet and My "beef" with this new update is the fact that everything on the new update is smaller than it was previously.  In other words, the site icons, smilies, forum names, etc. all appear smaller on my iPad than previously and make using the site uncomfortable for my eyes.  I have been posting some, but I no longer enjoy it.  This is the only Internet site where I have this problem.

It is COLD here today—42F and also a dreary day.p

Mary Ann

Jean, I find where I type in Reply is not too good, but I am a touch typist and I type along, post, then make any corrections with Quick Edit when I can see what I wrote.  My eyes are in terrible shape and I can't see the Optometrist until mid-January.  I don't imagine I'm doing my eyes any good by reading what is online, but I can't read anything else, either.  I find I skip over some posts where they either don't BOLD or use size 4, either of which help. 

Too old too soon!

I hope the "powers that be" can find some way to make the Reply section size larger, not for me, but for others. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a lightly snowing Interior with the interesting forecast of plus seven for both a high and a low today. Later this week we shall see our first below zero readings this year.

I understand everyone's frustrations with this site, and I do get people emailing me for help that I cannot always give or saying they're leaving. I also had difficulties and had to work out much of what I needed.

We have already lost many, and this new regime bleeds more who either can't or will not deal with changes. No one ever actually explained why this new editor was needed or why.  Jackie, as you know both Bubble, I and others had to uncheck all S&F notifications due to the sheer amount involved. I thought you had previously done so.

Marilyne, MaryAnn, I use Grammarly, an editor that checks my postings as I write for spelling, grammatical or other written speech errors due to my tendency to type extra letters on each side of the ones I originally planned to type. My unsteady hands would make it worse without Grammarly.

Besides the on the go editing, I may also click on the small yellow or green bubble at the bottom to preview and correct any errors. Those bubbles bring me to a large correction area and then return me to the posting area.

Larry, I believe the clerk just wanted a more Elvis styled Christmas than an actual Elvis recording. I think we are all tired of the ice with little to no coverage. It snows, but there is very little accumulation. We still have three out of five open rivers, and the other two have open leads in the center.

We have had for the past five or so years, more ducks, geese, and other birds overwintering and none of the severe weather we had before the past twelve years. The first ice storm occurred in 2006, and it has been a new regular winter expectation.

Those restaurant reports from staff were from fancy to hamburger joints and what they had in common was no one washed their hands enough, and not everyone followed hygienic rules. The other takeaway was that the daily specials and soups were a final way to use up the older foodstuffs.

The comment about cooking several vats of chicken parts and then stretching them over weeks was enough to turn me off ordering any more restaurant chicken dishes.

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia...
...yes I had, up until this morning all seemed fine...dont know why the notifications built up again, never had so many emails from  S & F's...Edited to add...yes I had turned notifications off...
This was Oldiesmanns response to me...quoting:
" I made some changes to the notifications code recently to fix the problem with duplicate notifications and such. It appears that the bug with the code (prior to my changes) caused it to miss things, so that's why you're suddenly getting old notifications. That should hopefully clear out soon..."
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Patricia, I don't use anything special when typing in Reply and if I misspell a word, a red line shows up under the word.  I'm a pretty good speller so I don't rely on the Spell Check.  I am sure there are features of any program that I do not use and here in S&F that is true too.  You have looked for and found many programs to help you.  I have not looked for anything other than what shows up when I click on S&F.  Two things I did myself and still do and one is how I highlight things individually (yet) and I read the new posts from bottom to top.  Someday I will get ambitious and change those, but I'm the only one who reads it and it isn't important.  I have more important things to do off the computer.  I don't click on Notification as my posts either land on the last one I made or the one after that.  I don't take advantage of many things that are offered and I like to think I get along fine.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I use Grammarly because one, I have Osteoarthritis which exacerbates another condition I have. My hands at times shake or become unsteady or weak. For example, pushing an elevator button, computer key or holding a coffee carafe can become problematic.

I also used it in one of my Udemy classes, it's not a browser only tool. I brought it up because of the discussion about making the reply section larger, (Posts by you, Jean and Marilyne prompted my post.). In part because while being a grammar tool, it also as I posted, opens up to a half page size where you can correct spelling or rewrite, delete or whatever because you can see your entire post in order to do so.

Mary Ann

[size=4]Patricia, right now I am getting along with the size and font in the Reply section as it is dark enough to read.  For instance, Lloyd in the Soda Shoppe does not change the font size, nor does he bold his post and I rarely read what he says now.  I read where so many of the S&Fers want to be notified.  I don't know what I do, but when I click to come to S&F, I come to my last message and I am just one message away from any new ones.  I don't want to add to my programs as things are working out OK.  I will say that one time Tom put a tab at the top of my page that reads Most Visited and under there are several topics; the top one is Recent Unread Topics and that is for S&F.  That is the top topic and is very used.  Windows 10 adds and subtracts to my list which I don't like, but S&F is too far to be disturbed.

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I am accepting of how things are as the method works for me.  I think you have pretty much found your way too, although you make more use of some of the features than I do. 

I don't know why 'size' didn't disappear.

Mary Ann
[/size]

JeanneP

Now the Font when in Seniorand Friends on the Desktop seems to be O.K. Not as large as on other things I do on the Desktop
But now on the IPad  It has gone so small that hard for me to read. Seems to be just Seniorandfriends. I have played with it trying to fix but it shows it is up to the large but will not change. Now when typing like doing now on Desktop here it is really small again. Will hit POST and see how it shows up.

So funny . it shows up the size I like but also now I go back to write this part and It is perfect again. Will see if I type another reply if it is tiny print again...
I am not seeing much of a difference other wise when the changes have been made.  I do notice that a lot of people seem to have lost their Photo  under their names....Mine was just changed the other day and O.K.
JeanneP

Lindancer

[Good evening, I agree it takes so many more steps to write in here,
I think S&F got fixed when it was not broken

My trouble is I can not see what I am writinghereize=4][/size]

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

so_P_bubble

If any one needs help in re-posting their avatar photo, call me! :)

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We have a beautiful, crisp and sunny morning that started at 30 degrees and is suppose to get to 50 this afternoon.  I slept in until 7:30 this morning and have been busy ever sense.  I had to empty the dishwasher, fold a big load of laundry, fix Pat's breakfast and my own but think most of the work is done for today.  We do plan on getting out today to get haircuts and then will stop at Ruby Tuesdays as they have there $5 chicken sandwich today.  As far as I know we have no other stops to make.

Yesterday was really a great day for me as felt good all day.  I did finally get the air up to par in the car tire.  The downer was that when the repair tech was here for the AC, while he was able to get it going again, he had to put in 4 units of Freon at $75 per unit and is ordering two new parts, which will be covered by warranty, but we will still have to pay the labor and for more Freon.  However, we don't really have any choices in the matter as must have good heat and then cooling in the summer.  The man was suppose to inspect our house termite traps and the house yesterday but he went to the neighbors house rather than ours.  Today I get the inspection reports and the bill for his visit.  Something wrong with this picture.  I called them and now he is scheduled to come here late Friday afternoon.

Mary Ann, it did stay pretty cold here all day yesterday was was misty a lot of the day but didn't rain again until last night after dark.  I probably had to use the emergency electric heat for about 30 hours but it was worth it not to be cold.  I was just glad it was available and I am hoping not to have to use it again and that the repairs needed can be done soon.  He said he would call and schedule as soon as the parts came in.  I use the budget plan for our electricity as this is an all electric home and I don't think the bill is too much considering we really are not very conservative of electricity.  I am sure we each develop our own patterns of how we read and write on these discussions and which ones we are interested in. Have you ever tried the Accessibility features of Windows 10 such as having the screen read to you? 

Marilyne, I hadn't heard anyone talk about the Christmas decorations at the Bass Pro Shop.  We don't have one of those but do have a Cabeas next to the Costco and it is owned by Bass Pro Shop.  However, I won't be checking it out.  I hope you shopping for your grandson and granddaughter were successful while you were at Bass Pro Shop. 

Jean, remember you can increase the size of what you are seeing on the screen by either changing your default settings for the display or just holding down the Control key and scrolling up or down with the mouse button until you get it at a comfortable size.  On your iPad have you tried changing the settings or pinching the screen out with two fingers.  You can also tap or double tap on the screen and it will fill the screen out as much as possible without hiding any of the text.  If you are not having a problem on other sites then you probably wouldn't want to change your iPad settings.  I expect you know all that I have written but if not I hope something here will help as we don't want you giving up on us.  You were about as cold there yesterday as we were here.

Patricia, plus seven just doesn't rate in my books as a high.  :)  If Oldiesmann is reading some of the concerns I am sure he will make any adjustments he can to increase the preset size of the posting box.  I am finding that I usually can't see any posting area until I hover or that little down arrow in the right had lower corner of the posting area and then I can drag that down and increase the size of the posting area.  I am not sure if when a new version of the software become available we have any choice to keep the old.  Oldiesmann would have to answer that question.  I expect he shudders when he sees a new version is available because it creates a lot of work for him and his efforts are all volunteer and he isn't retired like most of us.  I am sure you are right about the clerk and his Elvis comment.  I will have to put those restaurant reports out of my mind as we eat out today. 

Jackie, I hope the changes made to the notifications took care of your problem.  I have never used notifications since I just check the three discussions I read each morning and look for the new postings.

JeanneP, if you haven't tried the double tap on the iPad screen to have the text fill out to the sides of the screen you might find that helpful.  I haven't checked what I get on my iPad as I gave it to my wife and she has it up in her sewing room. 

Lindancer, the html tags must be at the beginning of the writing you want it applied to and when you use the settings at the top of the message writing box you must start your typing after the last tag without the [/ in front of it.  The tags with the [/ at the beginning turn off the setting. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the colder,
still,  rocky coast of Maine. 

I spend most of my day listening to
movies and series on NetFlix, Prime, and
Acorn and Hulu  etc.   And less time
on the computer.

I do follow  MSNBC  daily to keep
up with what is going on in the
world politically,  (from my  point
of few)..

Things change so rapidly that
it gets confusing if I skip much.

My old friend Vicki and I talk
"politics",  but we are cut from the
same cloth,  so it is fun and not
frustrating.   

Have a good day,  Everyone,  and don't
take any wooden nickles.   

Sandy
 :knuppel2: 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Hi Sandy - I don't have anyone to discuss politics with as no one agrees with me.  I tell people that Tom and I differ in religion and politics, so we don't discuss them and we get along just fine.  Tom is a "vote party" person regardless of who is running and/or their character.  I vote for the person.

Larry, I don't know if this was one of your suggestions, but I pulled on the little mark at the lower right of the Reply box and was able to extend the size of the box.  Previously, this box was about 1 1/2 inches deep.  I managed OK but it's nice to be able to see what I've already written.

I'm glad to hear you had such a good day yesterday.  I hope those days continue. 

We are at 32 degrees and I think our highs all week will be in the 30s, going up to 37 and 38 at the end of the week. +7 for Patricia is cold for us but in previous years we've had colder - into the -20s.  I doubt we've had her -40s in my memory.

When I got my coffee this morning, I saw the dishwasher had been emptied, but lots of dirty dishes were on the counter.  I think I'll do my good deed for today and fill the dishwasher.  There aren't enough dishes to run it.

There have been some ducks and geese on the pond and Kendrick spends time looking out the slider.  If I offered to let him out, he'd refuse.  He does not like cold or wet weather.  He's a "fairweather" cat!

Tom is teaching today and I've already forgotten where, except I know it is north of here in the Northview system (our area).  He said yesterday was a bummer because he had disruptive and disrespectful kids - early high school.  If he can, I think he should stick to Middle School because those kids are more teachable and interesting.  He can book his class online early in the morning.  He'll only have another week before Christmas/New Year vacation starts.  I think they'll return on Wednesday, January 2, possibly the 3rd.  Between sub teaching and driving for Uber, he's able to make a little money. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Good late morning to all.

It is 33 here, and the haze is finally gone. Lots of sun, yea!

The low haze (no clouds though), the constant parade of cars going by the house, and the neighbor's motion detector light interfered last night with my star gazing. Too bad. I got wind of a green comet making its way up through the constellation Taurus (between Orion and the Pleiades star cluster). There are reports that it can be seen with binoculars, but is very weak to the naked eye. To the left and above the Winter Triangle I mentioned before, you can expect to see the Geminid meteor shower peaking on Dec 13. They are supposed to be bright this year. I'll be looking around 10pm-11pm when Orion is right in front of me. Lots of interesting stuff goes on around Orion, which is one of the reasons I like the constellation so much.

My sister and I spent Sunday together. First we went to Hoss's for lunch and then headed over to the Oyster Mill Playhouse to watch a performance of Radio Days. The playhouse is not to far from me, farther up the Conodoguinet Creek than I am and on the other side. The skits represented were from the old radio shows: The Valiant from The Theatre of Romance,The Adventure of the Tolling Bell from the Sherlock Holmes Radio series, The Jiffy Vacuum Sales Epidemic from Our Miss Brooks and A Miracle for Christmas from Grand Central Station. The last one was especially poignant. To top it all off, I discovered that the current director of the playhouse is the fellow that helped me get my very first mortgage. I am so delighted to meet up with him again.

Marilyne

Larry, yes, we did go the Bass Pro yesterday, and enjoyed our time spent there. It's a HUGE store . . . larger than the biggest Costco that I have ever been in.  It's all decked out for Christmas, which looks pretty spectacular.  As we entered the store, we saw a large tribute corner, devoted to the late President Bush,   It was nicely done, with a wreath surrounding a photo of him fishing, in a small boat.  Apparently he was a long time friend, with the founder/owner of Bass Pro Shops.

Mary Ann - My political views sound a lot like yours, in that I always vote for the person, NOT the party.  We have all candidates from every party on all of our ballots here in CA, so I can vote for my favorites, without regard to party affiliation. 

I can imagine that Tom, will often be discouraged with some of his classroom assignments.  I know that here in CA, many schools are out of control, as far as unruly kids are concerned. The reason being that teachers and principals are not allowed to discipline students, as they once were able  to do.

MarsGal - I see we were both writing at the same time.  I will get back later to comment on your message.  The playhouse selections sound wonderful!  I hope you mention it in The Television forum. Even though it wasn't a television show or movie, we have often talked about stage productions there as well.  I love Radio Days, and would like to see a live performance.