collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Random Image

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • alpiner1: SCFSue   I'm having the same problem !
    Yesterday at 03:36:05 PM
  • SCFSue: Help!  This is the second day that my computer has told me that this website is not secure.  Do you have an answer to this?
    Yesterday at 10:34:24 AM
  • Carol: December is upon us!  Greetings and much Joy to all every day of this special time of the year.
    December 02, 2017, 06:02:47 PM
  • Carol: Happy Thanksgiving to all who work so hard on S & F!  Thank you for all your work and ideas!
    November 23, 2017, 08:38:03 AM
  • alpiner1: We are having hot weather !   [link]
    November 22, 2017, 02:31:30 PM
  • Pooch1: Happy Turkey Day in two days.
    November 21, 2017, 12:04:58 PM
  • alpiner1: Warm & sunny here , in the 70's in southern California
    November 12, 2017, 09:20:03 AM
  • maryc: Pooch,  Our Juncos showed up here about the last week of October. Western NY  Waiting now for the Titmouse.
    November 11, 2017, 06:40:19 PM
  • Pooch1: Cold up by Lake Michigan.  Spotted first junco of the winter season this morning!
    November 11, 2017, 10:38:15 AM
  • Pooch1: Good!  Have had weeks go by with nothing posting.
    November 11, 2017, 10:36:56 AM
  • Pooch1: Just seeing if I can get in here.
    November 11, 2017, 10:36:15 AM
  • maryc: Brrrr!!!   Our weather folk are talking the same here in the Niagara Falls NY area. My brain isn't ready to let go of fall.
    November 09, 2017, 08:25:52 AM
  • Pat: Hi Everyone!  Snow in the Guelph area starting tomorrow THURSDAY!!!!!  :snowball: :snowman:
    November 09, 2017, 12:21:10 AM
  • so_P_bubble: Hello Delphine
    November 03, 2017, 11:46:17 AM
  • Delphineaz: Nothing new at my house. Hello everyone.
    November 02, 2017, 12:39:02 AM
  • Dianne: All these years i did not know Jerry Lewis had an illegitimate daughter, Suzan Lewis. Looks just like him!
    September 15, 2017, 12:29:36 PM
  • Oldiesmann: [link]
    August 20, 2017, 02:24:02 PM
  • Oldiesmann: Jerry Lewis has died at the age of 91 :(
    August 20, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
  • Aki: Thank you, so_p_bubble for catching me.
    July 22, 2017, 08:32:31 PM
  • so_P_bubble: Aki, I passed your message to JeanneLee.  I am sure she will contact you.
    July 22, 2017, 12:14:08 PM

Author Topic: Money Matters  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Carol

• View Profile
Re: Money Matters
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Jane:  A fast reply this morning.  You are in my prayers. 

Offline RAMMEL

• Global Moderator
  • THIMK
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
Finished my walking and it sure is cooler at this time of day.  Nice!
I always check Swedish news - and an interesting article is that a group over there has proposed business pay 70% of average income to new and young workers (their attempt at income equality).  At the same time, they are short over 7,000 teachers, short of actual school buildings, and the list goes on because of their acceptance of immigration. 

Where do you get the Swedish News?  Is it in English?
"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."
BIG BOX
              THIMK

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:18 PM »
Hello Rammel:  There is an APP called Radio Sweden.  Of course, I was brought up to not believe everything in the news but it is interesting to me because of my many relatives in the country.  Some work for the state education and some have their own businesses and so forth. 

Offline SCFSue

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
Carol, have you also seen an app for Norway?  My late husband's grandmother had emigrated to Wisconsin when she was a teen, met and married my father-in-law's father. I know that she was originally from Bergan or another small town near Bergen.

SCFSue

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
SCFSue:  I shall look for the Norway app.  Thanks for that reminder.  We have been to Bergen and Oslo - loved the scenery and so much more.  3 grandparents from Sweden and one family is close to the Norway border. 

We just returned from Minnesota.  Our relatives with any lake property are being hammered with taxes on places they have had for years.  There is no tax on clothing. 

Hurricanes and fires are going to up our insurance so be prepared for that issue.  We drove through a heavy fog of smoke in both South Dakota and Wyoming on the way home and it is affecting even the Denver area air quality.  It has to be so daunting to lose homes, jobs, and everything from the hurricanes. 

Offline SCFSue

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
Carol,  I haven't been able to travel by myself for more than a year due to a fall from a ladder and over-protective sons.  However, I've been looking at Vantage and Viking trips along the coast of Norway and hope to convince the "boys" that Mom could probably manage a trip in 2018.  I'd like to contact my late father-in-law's Bergen relatives before the trip.  So will dig into old papers my mother-in-law left me when she died.  Her husband preceded her in death.  My father-in-law's mother emigrated to Wisconsin sometime in the 1900's.

As for the Hurricane, it hit pretty hard here in Auburn, AL, at least at my home.  It blew a tree down from my neighbor's yard which fell on my roof and caused $2500 worth of damage--and I had to pay cash to the men who cut the tree down!  Double yuck!  I called my insurance company and all their adjustors are still in Florida--so it will be a while before I can be re-imbursed.

I guess that old saying, "It never rains but it often pours" is correct!

Sue

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
SCFSue:  So sorry about the cost and stress of your tree damage - I don't know what a good price would be for cutting down a big tree but that is a large amount.  Last year, we took the Vantage cruise in France and it was perfect for 10 days.  Lots of free trips.  However, that trip is no longer available as they cannot afford to travel in France with the rules of working only 5 days in a row plus hours, etc. rules.  It was a perfect trip with a crew of people who genuinely liked to work together plus a personable captain.  Can't brag enough about that service and we do not pay for big cabins on top floors.  We slept next to the crew's door.  Quiet and such great service.  I think you could go alone (wish I could join you) and feel perfectly safe since you know how to travel.  Having relatives in Bergen is icing on the cake!

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2017, 04:18:40 PM »
There hasn't been a lot of news on Puerto Rico but I met a woman yesterday (stranger to me) who is from PR.  She has lots of family there and no communication but just enough to know that an 89 year old grandfather needed evacuation.  Good Lord!  What an on-going tragedy.  The country is bankrupt, just about everything under water and a dam was failing this week.  (USA) has to step in and help these people - it will be interesting to see just what can be done without money disappearing.

Rammel:  Did you find that APP on Sweden?  It isn't perfect but what news cast is truthful?   

Offline RAMMEL

• Global Moderator
  • THIMK
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
Rammel:  Did you find that APP on Sweden?  It isn't perfect but what news cast is truthful?   

Found this web site, but haven't checked much.  Too many irons in the fire.  :-[

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=2054&grupp=20817
BIG BOX
              THIMK

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2017, 05:31:37 PM »
We just received letters informing us that our most favorite health insurance company has been bought out by Humana.  Here is the rub....  we will lose a lot of coverage and it will be more expensive.  I am so mad I could spit...

OK - I will get over this for sure.  On a day when our country weeps with sadness over a mass murder I have nothing to complain about.  Sometimes, money doesn't always matter.   

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
I have a call in for the patient advocate at my doctor's office re: the change in insurance plan.  If they will accept a Medicare Supplement then I can stay on and still be covered in other areas - Arizona for instance.  The plan they are advising is not available out of area. 

Offline jane

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
Carol....We've never been turned down for medical care whether in Iowa, Montana, Alabama, FL,or Texas. We have regular Medicare and the AARP Supplement F.  Yes, it costs a lot more than an Advantage plan where you have a network to deal with, but we have been able to go anywhere, including the Univ. of Iowa Cornea Center without referrals and a lot of paperwork.  We also, of course, have to have a Part D prescription drug plan. 

Advantage Plans are OK for those in one area who like the doctors in those networks.

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Jane:  thank you for your input.  It sounds like you have made a good choice. 

I have an idea of what I have to do now and I will lose my doctor (she is  a top doc in the state and we have been meeting for ten years).  She has been so practical - but staying with her would mean that I wouldn't be covered in any place out of state. 

My concern is that many of the patients will not know of the restrictions on the new insurance plan that the doctor's office is recommending. 

Offline jane

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »
That's too bad, Carol.

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »
I am so irked that I wanted to come in here an send out a warning.  In chatting with the new insurance, they were pushing me to drop my prescription plan.  Don said I should not drop it because the newer plan would be much more costly.  Good to have his expertise -

My advice is for all of us to seek out qualified and practical people for these decisions.  Will be so happy when everything is over. 

Have a good and safe Thanksgiving.   

Offline RAMMEL

• Global Moderator
  • THIMK
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2017, 07:26:59 PM »
Insurance people and Brokers --------- Remember, they are all sales people.   :(
BIG BOX
              THIMK

Offline RAMMEL

• Global Moderator
  • THIMK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
Remembered this post from back in July.
OLED is now at $186.50 and I'm up about 970%.  This thing has been going wild lately. Thanks in part to Apple, who must be using OLED's patents. (This one offsets all the bummers I've had).

As long as this is the "Money Matters" discussion (do we mean money matters, or is it matters of money),

On a whim a long time ago I picked up some shares of (symbol) OLED. It was PANL when it started. They were into development of LEDs (different colors and sources) and the like used in phone screens and a bunch of other things.  They were sluggish (like dead in the water) for a while but it has now taken off.  It's nice to pick a winner once in a while.
BIG BOX
              THIMK

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »
Congratulations to Rammel! You have a winner and deserve kudos for your investigation. 

Happy Thanksgiving all. 

Offline RAMMEL

• Global Moderator
  • THIMK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »
Thank You ---

This was a long shot gamble.  Some of my other ventures didn't do as well - with a couple of them just "vanishing".  I thank the powers that be for the ability to do these things.

Got a $20.00 check today for some class action that I must have been part of  :thumbup:
BIG BOX
              THIMK