Random Image

wesr rutland mem.jpg

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of October 29, 2017

Started by so_P_bubble, October 30, 2017, 02:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Gloria, I like your last post.

It was 32 when I got up this morning about 7:30 and now at 12:30 it is 35 or 36 degrees.  On the way home from church Dot and I saw it was a wet snow coming down.  There hasn't been enough snow to fall to stay on the ground yet, but if it continues, we will wake to a white world. 

Gloria, make an apple pie using the Pillsbury crusts, then don't eat the crusts.  I know home baked crusts are best, but the filling is the main part. 

Dot and I went to Mr Burger after church and shared a Tuna Melt and Coconut Cream pie.  Yum!  While there the broker came in who I bought my condo unit from 36+ years ago.  He is on oxygen.  He and his wife lived here for a couple of years while they built a new home in a subdivision near here.  I had not seen him in years.

Gloria, I see the temperature under your post.  I know when I am replying and see a previous post of mine, the temperature does not show but as soon as I post, it shows up again.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Hello, Everyfriend,

I'm glad the past week is just that....past!  Seems as if there was a new issue to deal with every day.  None of them match anything any of you deal with so I won't bore you with details.

Hal,  I was dealing with yesterday's "issue" and completely forgot about the OSU/IState game.   Did get to watch the OU/TCU game. That was enough excitement for me.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

JoanFL

Good afternooon Everyfriend. Linda and Ed were here this morning, but left a few minutes ago to attend 2 of Finlay's basketball games.   I wish you ALL a BLESSED Day.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Joy

Even tho I was up early and read some of the messages here, it was just early to have anything to say.

I am waiting for my DIL to bring me a few things from Walmart.   I would have ordered more on-line to be picked up, but she wasn't sure what time she would be going, and you have to give them a time period when you will be coming.  So, I just got a few things that I really needed.  Next week, I will have to be ordering some things that I am going to make for Thanksgiving, so I will order them on-line then.

It is a pretty sunny day, but still cold.  Not quite as cold as yesterday, but still chilly enough to turn the heat up.,  I think it is supposed to get up in the 50's later in the week.,

My grand daughter is just finishing up a course to become an EMT, and she wrote me a message that they all had practiced driving the ambulance.  And, she also had worked a shift in the ER at the hospital.  She will be finished before Christmas and take the final exam.  I am so proud of her.  She was real smart when she was still in school, so I am sure she will do well.  She has a little 9 month girl and when she gets a regular job, she will have to put her in day care. She is not looking forward to that.  It is so hard to leave them after being with them in their early life.  But, they want to get a house, so both need to work.

Larry,.  so glad that you and Pat got to visit with your friends yesterday.  That place you had lunch looks like a neat little place.  Been around for a while, it seems.  The menu sounded good.  I especially would like the green tomato sandwich.  Not many places around here ever have green tomato "anything".

My DIL just called me and was just leaving Walmart, so she will be coming shortly.

Joan, as I have said before,  it is just so good to see you here.  It sounds like you are getting stronger, so hope it won't be too much longer before you can get back to a different place of your own. 

Mary Ann,  your Sunday brunches with Dot, always sound so good. I don't think I have ever had a tuna melt.  But, I sure would love to have a piece of that Coconut Cream pie.  That is one of my favorites.   Hope you don't wind up getting a lot of snow.

I did notice that the lake was pretty calm today.  And, yes, there were people walking on the pier all the way at the end.  Makes me cold just thinking being out on their long pier.

Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, a tuna melt is tuna mixed with mayo, chopped veggies, grated cheese put between two pieces of toasted rye bread.  The rye bread Mr Burger uses is plain light rye, not marbled or dark.  I was surprised Dot wanted it a second week but we both do like the tuna melt.  When Norm was alive and we went to Mr Burger after church (as Dot and I do now), I got it every week and didn't share it with anyone. 

We still are about 35 degrees and slated to go higher during the week, but it is obvious that Spring and Summer are over and in about a month, Winter will be here.  What is the saying?  "Spring has sprung, Fall has fell, Winter is here and it's cold as usual".

Mary Ann

JaneS

Amy, I don't know that I've ever heard of a block heater so I guess I don't have one in my car.

My daughter was here and we went over the papers that I brought home from my meeting with the Insurance guy at the Senior center.  The outcome is that I'm going to switch to a different plan with the same company for my medigap ins.  It should save me about $50 a month.  That will help the old budget!

U;n najubg oirjcgios abd buttered potatoes for supper.  Haven't decided on a veggie yet. 

I'm sort of taking part of this day off because yesterday was busy and tomorrow will be busy and this morning was busy.  Good time to rest and cook something!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Carol

We are back from dog sitting in Chandler, AZ - so much fun with the dog and then we are not responsible for a dog now so that is for the best.  We dog-sit for the children's animals. 

It is above normal here - summer is never-ending this year in Arizona.  Really a good ten degrees and more above normal for the last month and half.  I could use some cool 

Gloria:  Where is "New France"?  I wish that I had never started on genealogy.  For one reason, I always have to look up the correct spelling  :-\

Jenny:  Sad ending for your cousin's husband but better than a prolonged misery. 

Lloyd:  What are you trying to do?  "Ride 'em Cowboy" - you are blessed to not have been hurt. 

Hal:  Wishing you a full recovery from your pneumonia.

I am heating a can of Campbell's Won Ton Soup - just spotted it at the grocery store and I do like to order it if possible so I hope this tastes good. 

Have a good and health healing Sunday all.

JaneS

I'm going to have to proofread a little better.  that weird thing I said I was having for supper is not some exotic food.  It's just pork chops misspelled.  and I had mixed veggies with it.  That's what happens with the veggies if I can't decide what I want.

June Drabek

Hi, all, I am late coming in today.Took myself down for Church this morning, came home feeling all tired out. I did get a two page letter typed out to a dear older friend, ate some left-overs for lunch, took a nap, and still tired out.

We have had a cool overcast day, rain would be most welcome, but none predicted.

I am nothing but boring today..nothing special to write about, so I'll put on my shoes and go take a walk. See you later. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Mary Ann

Jane, I figured out your exotic food was pork chops and was going to mention it but I decided I am not the spelling police and thought someone else might mention it, but no one did. 

Mary Ann

Radioman34

Today was awards day for the theatre I’m involved in and I won the Best Supporting Actor Award. I guess that means I still have a little bit left in the tank. The nice part was mingling with the audience members following the performances. I played the part of an elderly man and some folks said I  reminded them of one of their loved ones.  The adjudicator even said that “dad” brought a tear to his eye.

June Drabek

I feel more "worth while" now. I finally put in my grocery order with Vons' grocery, so it will be delivered between 11 and 1 o'clock tomorrow. And they better get here on time as we are having the monthly Birthday dinner at five p.m.

Now I have to scrounge up some supper. I'm not hungry at all, but we have to eat, so off I go to scrounge.......... l

June Drabek

Radioman.....CONGRATULATIONS !! You have every right to feel very proud of your acting abilities, and I am proud of you. I'll bet your family is too.

mycheal

CONGRATULATIONS  Radio Man, how super to have maintained your talents to share with others  :)

Mycheal

Shirley

Very impressive, Don.... congratulations on a job well done & for "keeping on doing".  You are an inspiration, proud to know you.

Hey, Janie, great news, love to see you smile.

Last feeding for cats so better get moving.  Sweet dreams & God Bless.  Shirley

halkel

Hey Don, you still got it my man.  :congrats:

Off to bed, still feel worn out.  Nite, nite, God Bless and sweet dreams.

Amy

Good morning everyone...

We have a chance of rain or snow today and with a temp of 28° F I would lean towards the snow. Yesterday we took off to take in a craft show, didn't stay long but did bring home a gumdrop cake and some nanaimo bars.

We need to pick up hubby's meds this morning  and then the day is free.

Don, congratulations on a job well done!!!

Jane, google block heater.Not all vehicles have them but if the vehicle is to be kept outside in winter it is wise to have one. Warms the motor up and makes it easier to start. I am sure the men folk in here can explain it better than I.

I see both dogs went back to bed, lil stinkers get me up and I can't go back to sleep.

Enjoy your day everyone..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good morning Everyfriend!  low temps and snowing right now.  It's not laying and supposed to be done around 8 but I didn't even know it was expected.

Amy, I already googled block heaters.  I'm the curious type.  But right now it's mor important to deal with the heating problems where I live than where I drive.  I'll jst stay home if the car won't take me there. 

cONGRATS ON YOUR AWARD, DON!  aND ON YOUR SANTA GIGS!  yOU ARE SPECIAL TO A LOT OF PEOPLE!

We're waiting for the doggies pills to work then they get fed and I get dressed and the day begins.  gonna be a humdinger!  I'm sure glad the snow stopped and I'm glad it didn't lay.  Lots of things to do.

One of my chores today is to pick out one of those space heaters that look like a little fireplace.  If I do, my daughter and SIL are getting it for me for Christmas....NOW!

Hope your day is everything you wish it to be!  Enjoy!

Lloyd Hammond

janeS about your block heater go to your mechanic or a good friend and ask. as
the best is one that goes right in the block in a freeze plug place but they also make one that goes in a heater hose. it works well as well,and easier to install.
just squeeze the heater hose off with a couple clamps your mechanic will have.
and cut the hose and install and not even loose any coolant to speak of.just put it in the heater hose that goes from water pump to in bound side of the heater
that will circulate the coolant thought out the engine and you will have instant heat as soon as you start the car circulating hope this helps you and have a great day,

Lloyd

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Our day starts out with a fog advisory until about 10 am this morning.  Yesterday was a quiet day.  I came home after church and we ate what we had on hand rather than me bringing something home.  We did have a police car prominently parked in our parking lot and a policeman standing guard at the doors of our Worship services.  I introduced myself to him, shook his hand and told him I was glad to see him there.

Today I have a 2 pm appointment with the podiatrist, hopefully the last I will need on my toenail removal as they are healing well and no problems.  I had this appointment mixed up with dentist appointments and they had called to remind me but I called to tell them to cancel the appointment.  I left a message on the recording as the office was closed when I called to cancel.  I just called back this morning my appointment had not been cancelled.  I will also stop at Costco to get some HP ink cartridges refilled and hope they will work.  I haven't tried this before but these are HP cartridges so I would think they will work. 

Gloria, perhaps some day your great grandsons will call you.  We didn't expect the call we had but hope it won't be the last.  I have to be very careful what I say to their father in emails as don't want to cut off contact with the great grandchildren.  He has been good to send me pictures via email and that has been much appreciated as we have been able to see them at different stages of their growth.  It is also the only way there mother gets to see pictures of them.  That was a nice saying. I am not seeing the temperature under any of our postings.  Their sight must be down at this time. 

Callie, I don't mind details even if the things are highly significant.  If I had to use that as a standard I wouldn't have much to write about.  :)  I hope this new week will be more enjoyable for you. 

Joan, are these short basketball games that Finlay plays in.  I would think two in one day could be a little much if they are very long.  Is he playing in a league?  It is so good to see your postings each day now. 

Joy, when I went to pick up the online order at Walmart last Wednesday evening there was only one of the designated spots to park that wasn't filled by a car of someone who had gone into the store.  So I had to wait for the car in the one spot to leave and then could take that spot and call in to say I was there.  I suppose people thought the spots wouldn't be needed for pickup after it got dark.  Maybe they will revise their signs to indicated reserved parking for the designated hours of pickup.  Pat has put together an new order mainly with things for the Thanksgiving dinner and I will pick them up this Wednesday evening. Your granddaughter has chosen a tough job but apparently a rewarding one to be an EMT.  It sounds like interesting training.  One of the folks we met at the Yesterday Cafe did order the fried green tomatoes to share with the table.  They said they were good.  They just don't appeal to me. 

Jane, you would know if you had a block heater in your car as you have to plug them in an electrical outlet.  We had one in our car in Anchorage.  That will be like a $50 raise with your better insurance premiums. 

Carol, am I remembering correctly that last winter it was rather cool most of the time there in Arizona?

Don, congratulations on your acting award. 

June, nice to see you got to feeling better and was able to do your grocery order. 

Hal, are you taking an antibiotic?  If so that is probably contributing to the extra tired feeling.  I do hope you are feeling better each day.

Amy, do you have to pick up the medicine for your hubby on a weekly basis?  Nice you could attend the craft show even if only for a short time.  I fear that my wife's days of attending such events are over. 

Joy

Good morning.  Another chilly, partly cloudy day.  Not quite as cold as the week end, but did turn the heat up a little.  It is supposed to be up in the mid-50's in the middle of the week.  That will be a nice change.

Don, CONGRATULATIONS !  It is just great that you are able to participate in these kind of productions and also, so happy that you will be fulfilling your favorite Santa Claus !  You really make a very impressive Santa Claus.  !

Not sure what I will get into day. I have been pretty lazy the past week or so. 

June, happy that you were able to get your grocery order sent in.  Hope you will still be able to get to the birthday celebration.,

I have been up since 7, but still have to get something to eat.  I guess it will be my usual...  coffee, fruit, yogurt and a piece of toast.

Hope everyone will have an interesting day!!!

Joy
BIG BOX

Gloria

Good morning everyone, another gray one to start but rain on the way and we are at the freezing point now so hope it gets warmer before the rain moves in.

MARY ANN  thanks, I thought it was a touching few lines. Have not seen any snowfllakes here yet, that's OK for me. For me it is a flaky crust that makes a pie good. That is the way I grew up and at my age it is too late to change. Just a stubborn old Yankee. I have not seen the temperature under my posts for some time now but then so many things with this lemon of a computer is a mess anyway.

JOAN  has Finlay settled on a favorite sport yet? I remeber how Joe was teaching him many different ones.

JOY growing up the only green tomato anything I heard of was piccalily thay my Mom used to make.

JANE  $50 a month is a big saving. Good for you.

CAROL  I think New France was Canada. I know I had heard of it before but did not know just where it was. My Dad was born in Canada.

JANE  I had a chuckle in your remark about proof reading. Glad I usually check before I post but at times some things I miss and think Oh well, goofed again.

DON  yes you still have acting talent. To me you should have a leading man role but wonderful you get the award for best supporing actor. Congratulations.

JUNE  when my son came yesterday he brought me some groceries so now I think I have what I need to make what I will bring to my grandson's home for Thanksgiving.

SHIRLEY  what would you do with the time you would have without taking care of your cats?

HAL  keep resting, best way to start feeling better.

AMY  looks like it could start snowing here andy minute. Cold enough to.

LARRY  nothing in my life is important or interesting but I still find something to write about here.

Just loked out and it is raining.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  Joe was here early this morning to get my dirty clothes

JoanFL

Gloria--Finlay currently likes basketball, because that's what's being played.  He plays on 2 teams.  When it is the season, he plays baseball, football and lacrosse.  Hr is also in a chess club.

June Drabek

Good Morning dear hearts, I am awaiting my Grocery delivery. Talking to myself and wondering why I chose a time of 11 to 1 for a delivery ? Told myself to think before making a decision of any kind. Those are our lunch time hours. DUH.  I'll open a can of soup.

Bis, I still manage to do my own laundry, but it really wears me out. The laundry room is only a short distance down the hall, but the folding and trips back and forth tell me I am now an old lady. Your Joe is such a good son, I thank God you made the move from Fla.

Gloria, I hope you chose something easy to make for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't do any cooking for family or others now. It's so easy and inexpensive to just walk down to the dining room, and everyone is always happy about the salad bar…..there is everything there, and they can have all they like, the rest of the dinner is delivered to our table, and there are many choices on the menus.

Joy, I'm so glad I can shop through the computer and have it delivered to my Apt. I don't know why I make such a chore of it. You eat a proper breakfast Joy..all good foods. I usually have the coffee, a banana, and some kind of bakery goodie, then through the morning I have an energy drink, or a container of juice. My son brings me cartons of the energy drink…four cartons this time, vanilla, banana, caramel, and chocolate. The doctor ordered the energy drink.

Larry, I am so happy you get pictures of your  gr. Grands. It hurts our hearts when there are any disagreements separating the family. My parents were divorced, so my Dad saw very little of his grandchildren. The younger ones are more invested in their own lives than in the person they have seldom seen. Just as we were when we growing into our own lives.

We are having a partly cloudy day, high of 76..down to the mid 60's at night. I really like this weather than what we had in Hemet. I still miss the people back there…we lived under the same roof for ten years, and I miss the Mountains that were practically in my front yard. But being in close proximity to family is essential and sensible. I am thankful.

Time to go heat up that soup…….

Lindancer

Good afternoon, on this cool raining day.

Joan, Finlay, still seems to like his sports.  I know you are so proud of him. He is growing to be a nice young man.

Gloria, I wish you would make enough of your apple crisp to leave in the hidey hole.  I will furnish my own whipped cream. :)

June, glad you are feeling better.

Larry it still has to be strange going into church with a policeman on guard.

MaryAnn, Taffy stays in bed most of the day now.  I got her, her own pillow, which she is very happy with.  She is still on my legs in the morning before I get up.  If I am watching TV at night she will set in my lap for awhile.

Don, CONGRATULATIONS,

Hal, hope you feel better soon.   I am slower to recover from this last hospital visit.Although, my nephew did take me to KMart to walk around a little bite. I did take my pushmobile this time., so I could set down once in awhile.  they have closed the pharmacy which is not a good sign.  It still is not on the 63 list of Sears and KMarts that are closeing.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Joan, I am another who is happy with your move to be near your children and family.  It is also good for them;  you all see each other more often.  Your being ill is not good, but it sounds as if you are recovering.

I am watching a golf match from Sun City, South Africa and it must be hot because the winner, who is from South Africa, keeps wiping his face with a towel.  That match finished and I am now watching a tour from Mayakopa, Mexico.  I get around via TV and golf tours.

Gloria de, I find that Kendrick sleeps a lot anyway and I think it is the nature of cats.  Patricia (Angelface) recently posted that cats are nocturnal and I'd say Kendrick almost fits into that category but I find he does sleep a lot at night, probably because there is no one to play with.  He will lie down beside me and sleep until I cough or sneeze, then he's out of there!  I think Taffy is older than Kendrick, who is 4 1/2.  He has his own bed, but sleeps wherever he wants to sleep.

Don, that is an achievement, getting an award for being best supporting actor.

We sent money to James and Alicia for our T-Day turkey and we will take the "traditional" green bean casserole.  I think we have enough green beans and mushroom soup to make two or three casseroles, but I'll have to check before Tom goes to the store.

June, Tom does all of our laundry.  I don't go downstairs unless absolutely necessary.  I could be like my former neighbor who remodeled her bathroom to accommodate a stacked washer and dryer, but I don't want to spend the money as long as it isn't necessary.  I've seen a small washer/dryer (like the old Bendix) and I'd like to have one of those, but again, it would be quite expensive and it isn't necessary. 

Mary Ann

Carol

Congratulations to a fine actor - our own Radioman Don!  Wish we could see the show

Don and I attended a computer club session - he ended up leaving 15 minutes early as some people do not speak loud enough - especially in a crowd.  We really didn't learn much but I will go in January for the next meeting.  Tomorrow is a genealogy meeting for me and thank goodness that is all.   Remind me not to sign on to too many programs. 

My cousin sent the card from her mother's funeral (age 102).  Wish I could have been there but we had just visited my last auntie six weeks ago.  She was in fine form until two days before she passed. 

Mary Ann:  The new washers & dryers are massive.  When we stayed in Belgium, the washer & dryer were 1/2 the size of ours and they only use special soap - the clothes were never white again until I came home and fussed with a soaking routine.  The low-water ones take forever so they use a lot more electricity.

June:  Why not treat yourself and find someone to take care of the laundry?  Have them make your bed as well - you deserve it!   

We hauled a little space heater to Arizona this year and for almost two full months, the temperature has been way above normal.  It does get cold later and houses without basements feel cool on the floor so the heater will come in when needed. 

JaneS

I did everything I planned to do today and I'm exhausted!  A lot of walking and a lot of driving.

Started with my visit with theorthopedist about my drawn down finger.  He said there are two options...surgery or the shot in the cords that are pulling.  He and I both opted for the shot and he is contacting my insurance carriers to find out how much of it they will pay.  Then he will call me and set a time to do it if we agree that the insurance coverage is sufficient.  And that's that so far.

After that, I made a quick trip to the Amish store and one to another country market for candy making supplies and then home for lunch and to see to the doggies needs.

This afternoon, I drove down to the college where my grandniece goes and picked up some thinsg from her that my sister and my niece sent up.  Got a couple nice hugs, some news and I now have some of my Christmas shopping done and I have the sound back on my computer.  My sister had speakers she wasn't using.

On the way home, I stopped to look at some space heaters and tomorrow, I'll have one of them in my living room.  An early Christmas present from my daughter and SIL. 

Picked up TLH at the bus and brought her home with me to hang out until her mother picked her up around 6 or so. 

Do you all agree that I have good reason to be exhausted?  All in all it was a good day!

Radioman34

Of far greater significance than winning an award was the interaction between me and the audience members following the performances. We would chat about the play and many would comment on how I reminded them of their fathers or grandfathers and in short, of their happy memories. The adjudicator even said "dad" brought a tear to his eye. (I died just before the play ended).

Next up is an invitation to read selected scripture and poetry at a Christmas concert on Dec 2.