Random Image

carshow4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy.  I'm skipping church this morning as Olyne's company is not leaving until the early afternoon.  It's chilly here, so I bundled up and have finished my morning walk and am looking for someone to go to the women's basketball game with me this afternoon.  I'm afraid the gals who usually go with me still have out of town company--and the game is probably not on TV.  I don't know that because I didn't get my newspaper yesterday or today and haven't been able to get a person on the phone at the newspaper office.  I'm going to call Sandra to see if her son, DIL, and 6 month old baby are leaving before 4:00 this afternoon. 

All I've done so far this morning is order children's books to take to our annual Book Club Christmas party.  I'm donating 3 Beverly Cleary paperback books which will be given to Toys for Tots and/or other charitable organizations.

Sharon, I hope Lori has been able to see a doctor and get some advice and treatment started.  I'm sorry you're still having pain, but hope the rehab exercise is helping you to full recovery. 

Jane, I hope you woke up to good weather this morning and that the freeways are not overly crowded this morning.  Take care and have a safe trip.

I've just finished ordering paper back books to donate to the AU book club's Christmas donations--3 favorites by Beverly Cleary.  My boys enjoyed those books as did the children I taught before retiring.  I always read to my classes for about 10 minutes after lunch.  And many of them became readers themselves.

It's chilly here and I'll have to bundle up to go outside again to pick up downed limbs to put on the curb for tomorrow's trash pick up.  Other than that and hopefully the basketball game, I'll continue reading _A Prayer for Owen Meany_ by John Irving.  I think I can finish it before the basketball game.

Have a nice Sunday, Every Buddy.
Sue

GinnyAnn

We had a quiet Sunday. Many of our days are not filled with activity.  :-[ Ray did go to the rec center and did some exercising.  I plan on attempting to start Christmas decorating tomorrow.  Ray has been watering 'my' houseplants.  He is nagging that one of the Christmas cactus plants needs to be transplanted. His retirement has sure brought out changes in him.  ;D

JeanneP

Had so many things to catch up on here on S and N. Been awhile and seems like you all had a good Thanksgiving and no one Sick.
Sharon. Glad you are feeling better now and getting out a little. Getting exercise . Getting some help in getting ready for Christmas.
Sue. Wish I could get some help with my yard. Never been so bad with knee deep leaves.  My grass cutter for summer just  to old not for doing heavier work.  Would have been good time to have called someone to take care of the work.

I cant see myself  bothering to travel any  place over the holidays this year.
I took the flu shot and the pneumonia shot at the same time a month ago and  regardless of that Doctors say I got pneumonia type illness within 3 days. I had pneumonia about 30 years ago and from what I remember it was not as bad as this one. Did not have a cold or anything before that. Last time any new shots for me. If you didn't take it I say don't. Got to work now soon as I can to get energy back.

It has been 60 deg here also for past few days. Missed getting out to enjoy it.
Jane.  Sounds like you are heading out for Texas.  Iowa seems to be nice at this moment. If it keeps up going south will be a nice drive. You enjoy the winter down there. Be nice to see the beach and get the sunshine. Would do me the world of good .

JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've been up since 7:00, had breakfast, out for a walk, and have brought my trash can and recyclable containers inside.  I don't have much planned for today.  I did finish John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meaney" last night.  It was complicated, but interesting and I'm glad I read it.  I'm expecting Tim sometime this morning for his post weekend "Mom" checkup.

I didn't get my newspaper Saturday or Sunday until after dark Sunday afternoon.  I feel lost if I haven't been able to read the paper in the morning after breakfast.  Thank goodness it was out there this morning. 

I'm hoping Tim will help me assemble my Christmas tree if he has time this morning and also get my ornaments out of the attic.  I used a table top tree my neighbors loaned me last year.  So far all I have up is a Christmas Wreath on my front door.

I hope Jane and Ray are having a good travel day.  Jeanne, it's good to see your post this morning.  I'd begun to worry about you!  Also good to see you, GinnyAnn. 

Have a good day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals.  Ginny, so glad you are planning to start some decorating. You sound in better spirits.

Jeanne, like Sue, I was worrying about you. Glad you're back among us but sorry you got sick from your vaccines.  I have had 3 pneumonia shots (over about 20 yrs) and have never missed a flu shot and never had any adverse reaction.  Strange how differently people react.  Why don't you call one of the boys' HS coaches and see if any of his boys need to earn some money by raking your leaves and doing whatever else.  Just a thought.

The Dr called me this AM and said the antibiotic he gave me wasn't the right one for my infection. He had just received the results of the analysis.  Consequently, I start a new antibiotic today.  I really thought that I was awfully slow to get better.

The girls are coming at 3:00 to decorate.  John and I have cleared the decks and he's brought in all the boxes, so guess we're ready. He just left to get my new med.

I'm reading a Kellerman mystery at the moment, but it is sort of gory.  All I have on hand.  I like John Irving but haven't read him for years.

Lori is going to call me this evening and fill me in on everything. She says she does feel some better.
Sharon

alpiner1

I finally got a call from one of the doctors my breast cancer doctor wanted me to see & I have an appt. with an oncologist tomorrow at 12:30pm.  The breast cancer doctor wanted a second opinion as what to do next . Still waiting on the radiologist to call . It would be nice if they were both on the same day because they are both 35 miles away .

jane

Good news, Alpiner.  What was his suggestions for you?

Sharon...nice of John’s partners to help with your decorations.

Sue...has Auburn stopped celebrating yet?

GinnyAnn and Jeanne...good to see you both posting.

Hi, Mary, Darlene, Joy...

Just a quick checkin from Giddings, Tx.  Lots of road construction still in Fort Worth, but that wasn’t as bad as usual.  We’ll go on to the Island tomorrow.  Weather hs been beutiful.  75 today. 

Jane

maryz

My daughter Margaret called tonight.   She had a needle biopsy and has a diagnosis of breast cancer.  Needless to say I had a few well-chosen words.  Her doc who did the needle biopsy is making her an appointment with a surgeon to set up the subsequent surgery - lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy with possible mastectomy.  I'm not a happy camper. It's one thing for this old broad - but not for my daughter! And this comes after a young friend of Sue's, just a year older than Margaret and almost a member of our family since elementary school, has also been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Her lumpectomy is scheduled for 8 December.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Oh Mary, I'm so sad to hear about M's biopsy. I can empathize with the difference between having it ourselves and having a daughter with it.  I couldn't believe it when Melanie was diagnosed. Of course hers wasn't BC, but a different more aggressive cancer.  She is 4.5 yrs out since her surgery, so there's lot to be happy about. I'll keep Margaret on my prayer list (and you as well).

Alpiner, I'm so glad you got your oncologist's appt.  She should steer you in the right direction and make you feel better.  I hope you hear from the radiologist soon as well.

Jane, you guys are moving right along!!  I'm glad the weather has been good.  Is Dec 1 your move-in day?

I'm just back from PT. Groan!  But I know it's worth it.  The Pesticide company is coming at noon to treat us inside and out for ants!!   We had a sudden infestation of them and they bit like crazy!  Then the HVAC guy is coming after that. What fun!

No other plans for the day.  Hi to Sue, Jeanne, Ginny, Darlene, Joy, and whoever else I've missed.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I slept a bit later than usual, but have had breakfast, finished my morning walk, and little else except reading this morning's paper and getting my shower after the walk.  I'm going to ask Lue's son-in-law to get one of my Christmas ornament boxes out of the attic for me.  Tim set my tree up yesterday.  I don't think I'll put everything on it this year as it's a royal pain to put everything away.  Last year my next door neighbors let me use a table top tree they had out in their storage building.  Nice, but not the same as my own things.

Alpiner, I hope your appointment goes well today and you get some positive feedback, plus an appointment soon for the surgery.  Thoughts and prayers from Auburn, AL, for you today.

Jane, I hope the travel is going well and the weather stays nice.  Let us know when you get to South Padre Island and into your condo.  According to today's Opelika-Auburn news, the ground crews are still trying to clean up the hedges the fans jumped over to get onto the field (AU got a huge fine from the SEC for that!).  There were pictures in Sunday's paper of all the toilet paper strung in the trees at Toomer's corner.  It looked like a snow storm.

Mary, I'm so sorry about Margaret's diagnosis and hope the lumpectomy and needle biopsy get it all, so that she gets an all clear.  It's bad enough when we have the bad news, but much more frightening when it's our son or daughter.  Big hugs to you, Margaret, and her sisters, who are probably just as worried as you are.  Keep us posted.

Sharon, good for you for persevering with the PT.  It surely will be worth it when it's over--you're really brave to keep going with it as painful as it must be. 

I need to see about getting an ornament box out of the attic.  I don't plan to put all I have on the tree, though.  Last night I turned the lights on and they are all working, so I'm good to go with some decorations. 

Have a nice day Every Buddy.
Sue

alpiner1

SCFSue    I had the surgery November 9 , the appt. today is with an oncologist , the breast doctor wants an opinion about if I need chemo .  Breast cancer doctor doesn't think so .

Marilyn

A friend who has BC went through chemo then surgery went in for an exam before starting radiation and found out there is more cancer and has to go through a year of both chemo and radiation after another surgery. Her name is Casey if you would please add her to your prayer list.

I  got out the 2 tubs of Christmas decorations yesterday and discovered I don't have a tree to put them on, I gave the tree to Goodwill last year. so today I am going over to the hospice store to see what they have since I still have my gift certificate that was given last year at the Hospice Volunteer Christmas part.

Rain here again today, It was nice but cold yesterday.

Mary Ssorry to hear about Margarets diagnosis.

maryz

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I'll keep you updated.  Hope we hear from alpiner soon about her visit. 

Marilyn, all good wishes for your friend.  I hope you find a tree you like.  That's a good place to look.

It's not a good week for daughters.  One of my swimming buddy's daughter is having some heart problems, and had a heart cath this afternoon.  No diagnosis yet that I know of.

We didn't have hot water in our dressing room at the Y yesterday, and it hasn't been fixed yet.  I think I'll skip class in the morning - and just go for my mani/pedi at 9:30.  That's much more important!  :thumbup:

jane and Ray have been making good time.  I hope they had a good driving day today, too.

Hugs to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Cottoncandy

Mary...so sorry to hear of your daughter.bc...will add her to my prayers and you...Not much going on with me didn't do any Black Friday shopping..just have a few gifts to get..and gift cards to others...I know Jane will enjoy this Texas weather...so warm I ran my fan last night..Didn't read all posts..so just say hi to all looking in..Darlene

jane

Mary....good thoughts going out for Margaret.

We arrived on the Island this afternoon and can move into the condo on Thursday, a day earlier then originally planned. We're tired and want to both rest and get settled in for the next several months.  Temp was 82 when we got here.  I’m looking forwrd to sleeping in and not having to ride for 6+ hours.

Jane

alpiner1

I saw the oncologist this afternoon & I won't have chemo . My cancer is estrogen related . I started taking hormone therapy about 32 years ago , then there was a hormone therapy scare & I contacted the doctor & stopped taking it .  The hormone therapy may have caused the cancer .
The oncologist prescribed Anastrozole , 1 a day . I will be going back to see her every 4 months .
Now just hope the radiologist calls to set up an appt .

jane

Alpiner...don’t beat yourself up over the possible cause.  Cancer happens to even those of us who never took hormones, have no family history, etc.  i’m glad you don’t have to do chemo. 

Jane

alpiner1

There is no direct family history of cancer .  A cousin had it , also her father but our mothers were sisters . So no direct link to me . My 1/2 sister had it but we had different mothers . Brother had throat cancer & lung cancer but he was a smoker & was in a terrible fire . I have never smoked .

SharonE

Alpiner, glad you won't need chemo.  I took Femara, not familiar with your Rx. It may be a generic. Hope you hear from the radiologist soon.  There was no direct family history for me either, but I did take Premarin  several years.

Jane, hurray, you're there and can relax!  Nice to have a day of down time before you move in too.

Mary, with no hot water, I'd go for the mani/pedi too!  Keep us posted on M's tx, etc.

Sue, I do hope your neighbor will bring down your ornaments for you.  It doesn't need to be covered with ornaments.

I have PT in about a half hour.  Believe me, I dread every minute of it, but if it gets me up and going, it's worth it.  I actually slept 5 or 6 hrs straight last night--a first.  No percocett either.

My cleaning girl is here today and is doing a bunch of stuff I can't do and JOhn is reluctant to do.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's foggy here today and I've had breakfast, done some paper work, and walked my usual route.  Now I'm going to start putting ornaments on my Christmas tree.  I only got out one box, so will not be spending a lot of time on it this year.  Hopefully I can get that finished before lunch as I have a basketball game this evening at 6:00. 

Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear that your friend Casey has more cancer and more treatments ahead of her. I will keep her on my prayer list. 

Mary, BRRR on the showers at the Y.  Good idea to skip until they get the hot water back on.  Does Margaret have a time for the surgery?  I'm hoping all goes well and am praying that she will recover quickly.  Strong thoughts going out for you, too.  It's always tough when our kids have a serious health problem. 

Darlene, it's warmer here, too, but not enough for a fan!  I hope your Christmas shopping goes well.  Will your kids be with you for some of the holiday or will you go to them?

Jane, I'm glad you made it safely to Texas and have a bit of time to rest before moving into your condo.  Enjoy your "winter getaway"!

Alpiner, I know you must be relieved to get your diagnosis and plans for treatment.  I had radiation, too, rather than chemo and was able to teach school every day of the treatment.  It doesn't take long to get "zapped", doesn't hurt and my only problem with it was that we had to drive 65 miles each treatment day--and after a full day of teaching.  That was in 1996 and I've had no trouble since.

Sharon, hurray for a good night of sleep!  I'm only going to put on one box of ornaments, so should be able to get the tree decorated before the weekend.  I plan to do a little each day until I'm satisfied with the results.  Keep up the good work with the exercises!

I have a women's basketball game this evening and need to find someone to pick me up.  These pre-Christmas home games are more difficult than others because my basketball friends are all tied up with holiday preparation and parties.

Have a nice day, Buddies.
Sue

alpiner1

Anastrozole is generic for Arimidex .  I got to a hospital for treatment & it is 35 miles each way . Hoping I don't need radiation , even though its a quick procedure .

maryz

alpiner, glad you don't have to have chemo.  I had no problems with my radiation treatments - hope yours are the same.  My tumor was not estrogen receptive, so I didn't take any followup medication.  I had taken estrogen therapy from the time I had a total hysterectomy (at age 45) until I was diagnosed.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not - doesn't matter in any case.  My young friend is going to have radiation, but different - they put pellets in a cavity left where the tumor was remove, and zap those twice a day for one week.  More intense, but doesn't take so many days.  That might be an option for you, and you wouldn't have to make that long drive so much.

jane, glad you're on SPI and can get into your condo a bit early.  I know you'll be glad to crash for a few days after you get settled in. 

Sharon, I know how you feel about the PT, but at least you're doing it.  And not having to rely on the strong pain medicine.  Hang in there!

Sue, hope your Ladies have a good season.

Margaret has an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow.  I guess they'll decide then what to do and set up a schedule.  I'll let you know.

I've had my mani/pedi and picked up my Walmart order, and had lunch.  So I'm pretty much through for the day.  Happy Hump Day, Buddies!

p.s.  Have you done the order-on-line/pick-up-at-store from Walmart?  It's fabulous!  You can order anything they have from the store, designate a pickup store and time.  Then you show up at the pickup area, call and let them know you're there.  Someone brings your order out and puts it in your car.  No extra fees.  I haven't been in the store in months.  The only drawback is that they don't go home with you to take it in the house and put stuff away. 

jane

Mary...now to get them to send someone home with you to put the stuff away! :D

We had lunch with Wisc. Friends and think we’ll try for a salad here for supper.  We walked around the area and down to the beach.    Very warm here today...true beach weather.

Anxious to get moved in tomorrow and then the big shopping trip to stock up on basics for the next three months. 

Jane

Marilyn

Mary can you also order refrigerated goods and meats. I don't know if I would order those since I couldn't pick them out myself.

maryz

Marilyn, I would guess so but, like you, I think I'd want to check them out first.  I have ordered a specific brand of pimiento cheese that I know I like, but that's the only perishable product I've ordered.  I wouldn't hesitate to order something like onions or lemons or milk or yogurt, but I don't need to get those things, so not an issue.  Check out the web site, and see what's available at your store.  There's also an "order online and pick up in-store" thing you can do, too. Some of the other larger chains do this, too - at least in our area.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've been up since 7:00 and had breakfast, loaded the dishwasher and it's still running, and out for my usual morning walk. I've dressed for lunch out with Tim (jeans and a sweater) and am now going to read until the dishwasher finishes.  We're going to Kroger for my weekly shopping after lunch.  I hope he'll agree to eat at Chappi's Deli near Kroger as I'm thinking I'd like a bowl of their potato soup and a pimento cheese sandwich--although they might have some special soup today and I'll try that.

I need to call Bonney to see if she'll switch hostess duties for the first Thursday in December.  I've had an e-mail and a phone call that the Garden Club Christmas luncheon has been switched from the usual Friday to a Thursday--I don't know if it's because the Country Club is already booked or if one of the board members changed it.  I guess I'm not much of a President since I wasn't consulted!

It's bright and sunny here today--the high is already in the high 60's and is inching up.  This is not unusual here in Alabama during November.  December is often rainy and therefore cool, but so far we haven't had predictions about that. 

Our women's basketball team started out slowly last night.  Coach Flo tried out all the new players which was a good thing.  Eventually they pulled away and only a few of the seasoned players entered the game.  We were playing a small school from southern Louisiana.  They had a couple of good players who tried hard, but in the end couldn't keep up with us, even with the Newbies.

Jane, I'm glad you arrived safely and will be able to move in tomorrow.  How high up are you at the condo and do you have help carrying things up?  I hope the move in is accomplished in record time and is not difficult.

Hi Marilyn.  Is all well with you, Keith, and Freckles?  I hope you're enjoying some nice fall weather, too.

Mary, I'm hoping Margaret's appointment today with the surgeon goes well.  And also that the surgery is scheduled soon.  I know what a worry that is for you and her.  Thoughts and prayers for you, Margaret, and your other daughters.  I'm sure they are all very concerned as well.

Have a great day, Every Buddy.
Sue

joyous

8)Mary Z:
Please share w/me the brand of pimiento cheese you prefer.  I have a "passion"for it.
Joy in Baton Rouge.

maryz

Joy, the brand of pimiento cheese is "Palmetto".  I like it because it has a little bit of a "bite" to it.  I first found it at Costco, but was delighted to find it at Walmart, too.  Other stores might carry it.  Hope you can find it.

alpiner1

I'm still trying to contact the radiologist , I have been calling all day & get a buzzing sound . Hubby says its the noise a fax machine makes . Its the only number I have for him . Will try again tomorrow .

maryz

alpiner, try looking up the doc online - maybe you'll find a listing for him, and you'll be able to check the phone #.

Margaret's surgery is scheduled for 15 December.  It'll be a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.  The plan, depending on the findings, is for followup radiation and/or chemo.  She said the only real surprise was that he said she'd have to be off work for 4 weeks after the surgery.  She argued with him about that, and he agreed to talk about it again after two weeks.  (That's my daughter!)  I offered to go over there, but admitted I'd probably be more trouble than I could help.  In any case, she has Jesse there  to do any driving she needs.  She's in good spirits, and at least now, matter-of-fact about the mechanics of what's going to happen.  Now, Mom has to deal with it.