Random Image

Migrating Osprey

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jane

Sue....there’s no help, but they have luggage carts and basket carts like grocery stores have and there’s a ramp in the back so it’s easy to unload and get groceries, etc. up to the condo....on the 7th floor.  They got the internet working today and the wireless.  They told us the washer needed a new part and it’ll be installed tomorrow.  We’ve been pleased by the speed in getting these things ready for us. 

Alpiner...Mary has a good suggestion....try phone book or hospital or center where he is.  It does sound like they gave you a FAX and not a phone line number.

Mary..it sounds as if Margaret has everything in order.

It was in the mid 80s today.  We did most of the shopping at the grocery and WalMart, but skipped some things because we were tired.    We’ll probably go back tomorrow for the items we skipped and also get our stuff unpacked. 

I hope Sharon had a more pain free day. 

Hi to Joy, Darlene, Marilyn, GinnyAnn, Jeanne

Jane

alpiner1

I  called the same number last week & got the office . I also checked the number online , it is the same number .

joyous

Mary Z. Thanks for bringing me up-to-date on the pimiento cheese.
My daughter goes to Costco often so I will have her look for it.
Joy

maryz

Hope you can finally get someone, alpiner.  Frustrating, to be sure!

Joy, I hope you can find it, and enjoy it as much as I do.  I like it with pretzels or carrot and celery sticks, too.

Got to swimming this morning, but after waking about 3:30 this morning, I think there'll be a nap coming after lunch.  I slept like a rock from about 10:30 last night, though.  Oh, well.....

Happy weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's almost 11:30 here CST and I've not accomplished much this morning except for my usual walk.  When I came in here and saw the discussion about Pimento Cheese, I started searching through my many cook books for an easy and delicious recipe for home made pimento cheese--and haven't found it after leafing through more than a half dozen possibilities.  I haven't made it in a long time, but it involves grating sharp cheddar cheese, adding a jar of pimento and mayonnaise.  And it's always yummy.  If I find it later, I'll post the recipe. 

Alpiner, you're surely getting the run around with the doctors you need to contact.  I hope you get someone on the telephone soon--Mary's suggestion to Google his name/office is a good one.

Mary, I'm glad Margaret will have the surgery soon, but I agree with her about having to stay home from work for a month is a bit much.  I went back to teaching 2 or 3 days after the lumpectomy and Bob picked me up after school every day to drive me to Montgomery (65 miles away) for my radiation treatments.   If she's been in good health prior to finding the lump it seems as if she could manage the radiation OK.  I did get 2 weeks off during the Christmas holidays because my radiation clinic closed for that period, so I had to have an extra week after Christmas tacked on the last week.

Jane, hurray for the successful move in.  I know you're glad to get there and to get settled.  I really envy your winter months down at South Padre Island.  Bob was stationed at Corpus Christi in flight school while Bill was just a few months old.  We used to drive over to the island with Bill in a little traveling basket so Bob could fish and I could sit on the beach and read.  That was on Saturday or Sunday if he didn't have a flight, of course.

Hi Joy, good to see you post today.  I hope your daughter finds the pimento cheese for you--and soon!  Now I wish I'd thought to buy a jar of pimentos when I went to Kroger yesterday.

Have a nice day, Buddies.  I'm off to eat a large bowl of Tim's soup!
Sue

SharonE

Hi GALS, I had a broken night's sleep and woke up with my back killing me in addition to my knee.  So when I went to PT, I told them and she modified some of the exercises and massaged away the pain in my hip where the ham string connects.  She worked me out pretty well to say the least but not as hard as Leigh Ann did Wed.  After PT, I stopped at the library & picked up 3 books and then went to the nail salon to get 2 fingernails repaired with acrylic because they kept tearing. I also had them cut my toenails while I was there. Now I am at home for an hour or so with ice on my back & knee, have eaten some yogurt, and then I have a dr's appt at 2:45. It's nearby though. I requested it to discuss my osteoporosis and Gerd medications.

I got my hair done yesterday, so look a little more respectable. Tomorrow, we will decorate the tree, and I plan  to go to church for the first time since surgery.  Monday, I will go with John up to Duke Eye Institute again and we will see what he has to say. I hope something definite this time.

I like Palmetto pimento cheese too, although HT makes their own that is good and has less of a kick.

Mary, I am glad Margaret has her surgery scheduled. I hope they are able to get clear margins and clear sentinel nodes.  I see no reason for her to be off work for 4 weeks unless she needs drains or something. We went to Palm Springs about 2 weeks after my surgery.   She's in my prayers along with the rest of the family.

Alpiner, call 411 and talk to the operator and have her check the # and call it for you. There is a minimal charge, but worth it. ($2-3)

Sue, it sounds like you are staying quite busy. Have you finished your Xmas shopping?  I have (online) except for John and he never has anything on his list. Don't know what I'll do about him.

Hi to all those who haven't posted.  We miss you.  Sharon

maryz

I used to make my own pimiento cheese, too - and loved it.  I had an old meat grinder (remember the kind that had a screw-clamp fastener to the table?), and did cheese and an onion through that - plus the pimientos, mayo, seasonings.  I never had a recipe - just put in what I felt like adding.  ;)

Sorry you had a bad night, too, Sharon. I'm glad your PT folks worked on your back for you.

I think Margaret must have misunderstood the surgeon about being off work for four weeks.  She'll have to check with them again to be sure.  alpiner, did you ever get in touch with your doc?

No nap for me this afternoon.  I had just gotten back from lunch when my bridge partner called to find out why I wasn't at bridge.  She was going to let me know if her regular Friday partner couldn't play, and I hadn't heard from her, so I thought I wasn't going to play.  Turns out she had texted me, but had sent it to my land line - which, of course, doesn't get texts.  So I was late, but only missed playing one hand.  We came in in the middle, but did have some nice hands - and one high board.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

I called the raidiologist's  office again this afternoon & a recording came on saying I didn't need a 1-before the number , so I tried it without the 1 & got a buzzing noise .  Finally I tried again to enter a 1 before the number & I got through !!??   Then I was told the person I needed to talk with was away from her desk & a message would be left for her to call me . She didn't so I called back .  She said they had called the breast dr. & requested a referral & had not gotten a call back . So I called the breast dr.  & they are going to fax my referral & medical records .  Its getting late here so I will call the radiologist's office on Monday . 

maryz

alpiner, it sounds like those doctors really need to do some office training.  I'm glad you finally got to talk to a human - even if she didn't help much.

SharonE

Alpiner, I agree with Mary.  Once you get your appt scheduled, etc, don't hesitate to tell them what a hassle you've had.

It's 1 AM and I can't sleep. hurting too much, so decided to get up for a while. I've taken a tramadol and 2 tylenol, but not much relief.  Sharon

GinnyAnn

Life has been the same around here. I haven't gotten out any Christmas stuff yet. Ray doesn't want the hassle of the big tree, so we will only be setting up the the smaller tree. This is my down time of the year. Wish Christmas was in June.  Hope that all goes well for the gals in the treatment cycle of breast cancer. For my left breast's cancer I had surgery (lumpectomy) and chemo and radiation. For my right breast's cancer I had a lumpectomy and radiation.My right breast sometimes pulls inside where the cancer had been removed, but otherwise no problems.

maryz

Ginny Ann, glad Ray's getting some decorating done for you.  This can be a "down" time of year for folks.  I hope you get to see your son and your grands over the holidays.

(Gals - ignore this paragraph while I compare pain notes with Sharon.)  Sharon, I'm with you.  Why do we hurt so much at night?  You'd think it would be better when all gets relaxed.  I find I'm hurting most in the mornings when I first get up.  This morning (at 5:30) was the worst it's been.  I took some EX acetaminophen and a muscle relaxant when I first got up, so I can't take anything stronger for a while - won't do that again.  I'll wait to see how bad it gets.  I'm wondering if maybe the leg with the new knee is now somewhat shorter than the other one.  That's the side that is so painful. I was even using a cane this morning so as to not put so much weight on that side.   :tickedoff:  I really am looking forward to my visit to the spine clinic on Thursday.  I hope your pain eases during the day.  Mine is better since moving to the chair. 

Other than that, it looks like a quiet weekend around here - as usual.  Happy weekend, Buddies!

SharonE

Mary, your commentary mimics mine this AM.  I took Tylenol at 6:30, so will try to put off Tramadol till we're ready to work on the tree.  The PT said my bad leg is longer than my other and gave me a heel pad to add to my right (good) shoe.  Weird.  I don't understand either. I can sleep on the couch through the news or when I'm trying to read, but as soon as I get in bed I hurt  like mad. My back has really flared up and is now as bad as it was last summer. The stimulator is doing no good that I can tell. I have so much pain around my waist and hips, I feel like I could break in half.  And this is after 5 mins on my feet. I'll be anxious to hear what your doctor says.

Ginny, I'm glad to see you in here.  Get busy and do some decorating. You will feel better for it even if you don't think so.  Invite a friend over to help you or for tea and use that as a reason to decorate.

Jane, I'm so glad you are settled in to your new condo now.  How do you like it in comparison to the other one?  Sounds like they are Johnny-on-the-spot with repairs.

Well, I need to go get dressed and get moving.  Sharon

jane

Sharon...it's smaller....2 bedrooms; 2 1/2 baths and more like a townhouse with bedrooms and 2 baths and washer and dryer on upper level and living room, kitchen and table and 1/2 bath on lower level where we come into the condo.  We have stairs at home, so that's too big an adjustment.  We have balconies on both sides...living room area overlooking beach and Gulf and upper level bedrooms overlooking town and the causeway and Bay.  Ray's going swimming this afternoon...outdoor pool that's heated and it's in the mid 80s here.  The heat is wearing us out. 

We made another trip to WalMart for things the condo doesn't have...like placemats for the round glass table. 

GinnyAnn...I hope you can do some decorating, etc.  I know you have to push yourself, but I hope you will.

Mary...I wonder what it is about night. I, too, join you and Sharon in having a lot of pain overnight.  I don't understand that, either.

Alpiner...you must be about ready to fly with all the round arounds you've been getting.  It sounds as if the office staffs at several places there are not getting the job done.  That's inexcuseable, I think.
I think I, too, would like the radiologist know the trouble you've had getting this scheduled.

We're meeting friends for supper tonight and then I hope to be able to get the OSU-WI game.  Our FOX sports channel keeps cutting out.  It's the only channel that does that...and that's where the OSU-WI game is to be, of course!
jane

SCFSue

It's almost game time here, Buddies, so this will be short.  One of the announcers thinks Georgia will win this time, and another says Auburn.  I hope he's right.  The bands are on the field and they are about ready to play the national anthem.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for AU and hope none of the players from either team gets hurt.

Jane, hurray for getting settled in.  I sure envy your stay at the beach!

Sharon, I wish you could get a handle on the pain.  Do you think a different mattress or some type of special extra pad might help you be more comfortable? 

GinnyAnn, I'm sorry this is your down time, but I understand as I often have winter depression.  However, so far we've not had rainy dreary dark days, so things are good here.  I have decorated my Christmas tree, but didn't use all my ornaments--it still looks Christmasy.  Maybe when you get a few of your favorites out, you'll feel better.

Mary, I'm sorry about your pain, too.  Is your mattress a new one?  Sometimes that makes a difference.  My left hip is higher than my right, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I still have to wear that confounded brace on my right leg, though, and although it doesn't hurt, it is very awkward.

Alpiner, having your radiologist and surgeon in different offices seems to be part of the problems with their scheduling.  Mine are at the Cancer Center here and I can see both at the same time if it's necessary.  Since my surgery and radiation therapy was in 1996, I don't see the radiologist, just the tech for new pictures annually and the oncologist once a year, too.

It's kickoff time, so gotta' go!
War Eagle!  Sue

jane

Sue...sorry the game didn't turn out as you'd hoped.  It's going to be interesting to see who they put in the top four spots tonight

We got out and walked this morning before it heats up too much.  There's some overcast, so I think we may keep the heat down a bit and maybe get a few "drops" as the Brownsville weatherman says.

We had a nice supper out last night...didn't get back home until about 10:00.  The owner sat down at our table and talked, and talked, talked, talked. 

jane

maryz

Your new place sounds great, jane.  The two floors would be a deal breaker for me, of course, but I do envy you the views.

We're still getting lovely weather, but it's supposed to get much colder by the end of the week - with possibly even some snow flurries.  Folks around here will get all excited about that.  :2funny:

Our Silver Sneakers class has been cancelled for the rest of the year.  The leader has a torn muscle in her leg, and has to stay off of it.  And I'm not going to be able to make my swimming class as long as I'm having this early morning pain. It was like that again this morning, so I don't think I'm even going to try to get up to make it tomorrow.  Now I'm really going to be a slug - at least for a while.  I hope the spine doc finds something fixable when I see him/her Thursday.

Have a good week, Buddies!

SharonE

Mary, I'm so sorry about your SS instructor and your early morning pain. Maybe your Dr. will have the answer.  If so, please pass it on!

Jane, your condo sounds lovely (except for the steps).  I know you'rel glad to get all settled in and your evening out sounds nice too.

I went to church today and the advent breakfast before service and everyone was so nice and welcoming to have me back.  It was a long service to sit though.  And tomorrow our trip to Duke is about 2.5 hrs, I think. That is going to be hard for me to sit.  I just hope the trip is worth it this time and he can tell us something, hopefully positive.

Hi to all.  Sharon

Marilyn

Hi everyone, I have been here daily to read y'all's posts. Just haven't let you know I was here. I started crocheting again last night and today my right wrist just below my thumb is really sore. that is the way my left hand did before it got so bad that I had the surgery to replace the ball joint at the base of the thumb. U know eventually, I will have to have that joint replaced on the right hand as well. I am putting it off as long as possible, Which when I do have it done it will not be easy for Keith to take over what I can't do. I don't think he can prepare meals, He couldn't do it 7 years ago when I had the left hand done.

maryz

Sharon, glad you got to church.  I hope the trip to Duke works out okay - for both of you.

Marilyn, boo for your thumb problems.  I know I'd hate it if I couldn't do my knitting.  And I hear your concern about Keith's being able to fend for himself.  I hope it works out that you don't have to have the surgery.

SCFSue

Olyne picked me up for SS and Church.  I enjoyed both--we had communion today and that was nice. 

Since coming home, I fixed and ate lunch, spent some time reading, gathered the newspapers and cardboard things and put them out on the curb, fixed a light supper and have been reading and watching TV--one Hallmark movie and now Carmen Jones with Harry Belafonte on TCM, but I'm going to shut it off and go to bed and read some more.  I'm just not enjoying the movie.

Jane, I didn't check out the sports news this evening--and I doubt that AU made it into anything other than a small bowl game.  I can't believe they played so badly at the Georgia Dome!  BTW, this was another Sunday when my newspaper wasn't delivered until late this afternoon!  I'm going to call the newspaper office to complain about the weekend deliveries in the morning.

Mary, I hope you can find some relief from the pain SOON!  It sounds as if you might have twisted something--I hope you can manage the pain until you see the doctor on Thursday. 

Sharon, I'm glad you made it to church today, but hope the sitting today and the drive up to Duke don't make the pain worse.  Let us know what the doctor(s?) at Duke recommend. 

Marilyn, I'm sorry about the pain in your wrist and hope that you can get some help for that without surgery.  It doesn't sound as if Keith would be much help if you are unable to take care of things.  Big hugs to you and prayers that your doctor can find a solution that doesn't include surgery.

Sleep well, Buddies.
Sue

Marilyn

The pain in my wrist is gone today. Hallelujah!!! Back to making crocheted dish/wash cloths.

jane

I had a heck of a time getting in to S&F just now on my Ipad. It wouldn't accept my password, etc. I came in via my laptop and got in, and then the password decided to work on the Ipad.  I hate when this happens!

We made a trip to Brownsville today to shop at a large WalMart, Sam's Club and HEB, hoping to find some things the stores here don't have...and we had some luck. Brownsville has an ordinance against plastic bags, so luckily we found a reuseable one in the trunk. 

I panicked for a bit when I thought I'd left my credit card in a machine at the WalMart store.   Luckily, I'd put it in my wallet in the same slot as another card, instead of its own slot.   [I used the self-checkout and was angry when I saw the checkout was accepting what I scanned...but then also asked for the number as if it hadn't scanned and charged me for the item a second time.  When I complained to the girl who has to help in that area, I got the "Oh, you'll have to go to Customer Service!  There were 5 people in that line which was hardly moving.  I went back to the self-check out...put my cart by her podium and said I was going back to get the second item, since I'd paid for it, and I wasn't waiting in a line that was that long.  I shall be very, very careful now when using the scan and go.]

I'm glad to be home now and in where it's cooler. 

jane

jane

Just saw your post, Marilyn.  Good News indeed.

alpiner1

I called the radiologist office this morning & got an answering machine , I left my name , number & message & have been waiting all day for a call back . Its 4:43 p.m. so I doubt they will call today . Tomorrow I'm calling again .

jane

Alpiner...how frustrating for you!  Can you go to the office and find out what in the world is going on....or ask whatever doc is overseeing all of this to recommend someone else to you? 

maryz

I hate it when I type a post, and then it vanishes.  Guess I should always do it on Notepad first, then copy and paste.  Sighhhhhh  I'll try to reproduce it.

alpiner, I agree with jane - only more so.  When you finally get through to a human being, I'd tell them I want a referral to another office - and let them know exactly why.  They've gone beyond simple incompetence (IMHO).

Marilyn, glad you're without the pain, and are able to get back to the handwork you enjoy doing.

I got my walker out last night, so I'd be ready to be able to get around this morning.  But, amazingly, I woke up without the terrible pain I'd had the previous two days.  I don't know what was different, but I'll take it.  I hope I can get to the pool tomorrow morning.

Today is supposed to be rainy all day.  That's okay - we need it, and the weather has been gorgeous for a couple of weeks.  It's supposed to get very cold this weekend, with possible snow flurries.  But it IS December, after all.

Hugs to all the Buddies!

jane

Mary....hurrah to awakening to not so much pain!  Isn't it weird that things can hurt so darn bad for a couple days, and then go away as quickly as it came. 

We're to get the same cold front everybody in the US is apparently about to get.  I'm hoping to bake some cookies on those cool days.  I can't stand to turn the oven on when it's high 80s and 90s herRay's golfing today, and Terri and I are going to go out for lunch. [Our version of the fellas' golf time!] 

Like Marilyn, I sometimes have problems with arthritis in my hands.  I brought my knitting and hope to get to work on some more baby caps for the hospital's Shaken Baby Awareness month next year.

Last night was that "sleep, get awake from midnight to 2:00 am] cycle. I think it was caffeine I had in a diet coke at lunch at Jason's Deli in Brownsville.  I usually avoid caffeine after 4:00, but guess I need to move up that time frame. 

jane

joyous

::) Hi, Girls---
Here in Baton Rouge we, too, are expecting a cold front ---- big change , but will
probably be a welcome to a lot of residents.  We may have to turn the heat on, which
has not been done yet. I live on the second floor of a 3 floor senior living home so  I
am protected mostly from the cold. I am very glad that I opted for the 2nd floor when
I chose floor.
Joy

jane

Great to see your post, Joy!

jane