Random Image

church steeple

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

General Computer Q & A

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

Sometimes, when I try to connect to the internet, I get a pop-up that cox.com can't open because of "a long-running script".   I'm given the option of cancelling the script so I do - and everything is o.k.

What is a "script",  why would there be a "long running" one when I connect to the internet (and only sometimes) - and how do I find out what they are and manage them?

I have Windows 7.

angelface555

Callie, a script is a procedure on your computer that consists of steps completing an action on the computer. A long-running script means it has stalled on a stage and is unable to complete the step or the operation. An example would be a slow browser or page opening.

Google says, "A script or scripting language is a computer language with a series of commands within a file that is capable of being executed without being compiled. Good examples of server side scripting languages include Perl, PHP, and Python.Oct 11, 2017"

From Whatis.com;

"In computer programming, a script is a program or sequence of instructions that is interpreted or carried out by another program rather than by the computer"

You can only manage these types of scripts by running maintenance on your computer and by that I mean at least a weekly clean up. You can use the Windows programs such as the disk cleanup tool.

You may have also added too many programs that use a higher percentage of the computer's memory.

http://download.cnet.com/blog/download-blog/clean-out-junk-files-in-windows-7-8-1-and-10/

You can use an outside program but be very cautious about which one. For an example, CC Cleaner used to be highly rated but now has been attacked by a virus and is no longer used.

CallieOK

Thank you, Patricia.  Google explanation almost TMI. I was curious - but not that much!  ;)   More of a nuisance (sp?)  than a concern. 

angelface555

Sorry, I tend to overdo. It's a habit from working retail and being a manager for so long! :(

CallieOK

donklan

CALLIE
Which browser do you use?
About the only time I get the "script message" is when I use Firefox as my browser.

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

CallieOK

Don,  I only have I.E. 
(I've never understood the reason for having more than one browser nor how to keep them straight.)

halkel

Callie, I have and use Firefox and also have IE but seldom use it.  There are some websites I need IE to use them and for them to be fully functional.  Mostly govt sites.  For some reason the DOD just doesn;t want some of their sites to work with Firefox.

jane

I keep several browsers on my laptop in case one has bad updates or fails so I can get online and delete it or download the patch for the problem browser.

And, as Halkel said, some work better with some sites...like pogo for me...than others.

They are easy to tell apart by their icons on the desktop.

junee

I cannot get to an Apple store.  I have a iPro 12” and I would like to know what I can purchase to increase the volume as wish to listen to music without my hearing aids. Does anyone know what is available?

halkel

junee, you might try contacting support with your question at this link.
Talk to us

Chat with experts online or have us call you right away. You can also schedule a time for us to call you when you’re ready. Answer a few questions and we’ll give you the best options.

https://support.apple.com/contact

Hope this helps.

JeanneP

I need to take off such as the Shoutbox and other things that come up when I go into Seniorsandfriends. Just want it to start out clicking on  Forum
JeanneP

MaryTX

Jeanne, on every discussion om S&F I usually visit, I go to the top of the discussion (example Soda Shoppe) and click on "notify".  When I go back into S&F, it takes me to the last comment made.  If I want to visit another discussion where I haven't hit "notify", I go to "Forum" and click on the one I want. 

I have found this to be the easiest and the fasted way to do it. 

I usually only have to do it once.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

jane

Jeanne...I don't know of anyway to remove Shoutbox, but you can collapse it.  Look to the far right in the dark gray (on my laptop) and if it shows a -, click it and make it a + 

That collapses the shoutbox to just a line with the title.

I also use the Show New Replies to your Messages which will show you the discussions you've posted in that have new posts since you were there last.  I use that to get to discussions I'm interested in.

RAMMEL

You can also make a shortcut to  http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?action=unreadreplies  which will always bring you to your unread replies.  That's the way I do it.  I keep the shortcut on the "Bookmark Toolbar" of Firefox. The same can be done in IE.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JeanneP

Rammel

That is a good one but I don't get into many of the forums. Just about 6 of them. I should spend time in more of them.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

That method works no matter how many discussions you follow.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jackwv

Rick that's right, it gives you a chance to view subjects with current comments that you might be interested in.  I view several that I do not regularly post in.

jane

Rick...me, too, on using that for my bookmark.  I then use the New Replies when I need to see the listing again.

jane

JeanneP

Rammel. I looked at that again. it is good so going to try it. Maybe will get into a few more forums.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning.  For the second day in a row, I have had a message that this website is "insecure".  Does anyone else have this problem?  I hope those who are in charge can check this out.

Thanks,
SCFSue

jackwv

Sue I have been getting the same message and would not take the chance.  Seeing your email I decided to try.   Hopefully it will be cleared up, I do not like ignoring the warning.

so_P_bubble

Not to worry about the message, it will be OK. 
I am sure our webmaster will take care of that as soon as he became aware of this technical problem.
We have not been hacked :)

jackwv

Thanks Bubble, it may take a while for others to take the chance.  Hope they post when it has been taken care of. 

so_P_bubble

from Oldieman:

One of the services is still seeing the old SSL certificates for some reason. I've filed a support ticket with the appropriate people as the solution that fixed this issue last time isn't working this time. Hopefully it will get resolved soon.

jackwv

Opps, Bubble I did not spot the post was from Oldieman so know now we are in good hands.   I had just looked at the Simple Machine Portal and read this       The SimplePortal.net Team is currently working to fix a few issues with SimplePortal.net, our website should be back up shortly. During this process you will be unable to use our website. You may still receive support on our SMF Mod Support Topic. Sorry for any inconveniences caused, and thank you for your patience while we perform the maintenance.

Radioman34

I can't recover the full width of my screen. If I click on the box on the upper right corner the display goes even smaller.  Help!

RAMMEL

Quote from: Radioman34 on December 23, 2017, 12:53:28 PM
I can't recover the full width of my screen. If I click on the box on the upper right corner the display goes even smaller.  Help!
If you click on the Square box at top right, how big does it get ( % of screen  )?

Did it just happen, or did you have guests on it?

You could try a restore to a prior date.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

Rammel, I can answer that one: the square at the top did not help. This is on a lap top.
No one else uses it. 
It happened two days ago when the computer went crazy by turning the image upside down. 
Don managed to fix that apparently with alt and the up arrow.
But then the view left an empty margin on both sides and that needs fixing.

Radioman34

Rammel the information that Bubble provided is exactly as described.  The percentage is either 110% or 130%.  Clicking on the larger square in the upper right corner makes the screen bigger and changes the single square to a double square. Clicking on that reverts it back to a single square and makes the screen smaller