Random Image

Crescent City harbor Memorial weekend 2016

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of April 3

Started by JoanFL, April 03, 2016, 04:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

SODA SHOPPE
for week of April 3

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend. There's DDs to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis, for her lovely “April” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Deer Hunting

A builder, pastor and professional golfer went deer hunting together. They were all novices, but wanted to try it.

They had been out all day and towards dusk they all spotted a 5 point buck at the same time. They each took aim and 3 shots were fired at the moving target. The buck went down, so they rushed over to make sure it was dead. It was, so they started to discuss who had actually hit it. As they were discussing it, a game warden happened along and asked what the problem was. They told him, and he said for them to stand back and he would try to figure it out based on the bullet hole and the rifles that were being used.

After only a couple minutes, he came to them and said that the pastor was the one who hit the deer. The three wondered how he could figure it out so fast. The warden said the bullet went in one ear and came out the other.

Food For Thought

What Does Your Car Horn Say?
(Author Unknown)

Do you remember when the whole lower half of a car's steering wheel used to constitute the car's horn? A car horn that was half the size of the steering wheel made it so much easier and fun to find and hit than locating today's microscopic, camouflaged little buttons. How are you ever supposed to find and use your horn in the nanosecond you have in case of a pending accident?

But it was a daughter's comment that made me ponder the changing role of yet another thing I thought would never change. She said something to the effect that a horn was mainly for communicating to another driver that you are angry with them. I was a little shocked. When had a car horn become mostly an instrument to express road rage? How were we communicating that to her? I didn't think of a car horn that way at all!

So I started to tell her all about all the old-fashioned uses of the trusty car horn. Isn't a horn primarily for accident prevention? To warn another driver that they are straying into your path, or in danger of hitting you? For such uses, the little buttons are woefully inadequate. Unless you drive with your thumb or finger poised over the button, forget it. You can never find the horn that fast.

How else are horns used? Well, of course there is the friendly little "hello" honk. Then there is the romantic or flirting honk. Then there is the sentimental goodbye honk: one woman taps her horn lightly whenever she leaves her mother's home - a cute little ritual that somehow signals all is well between them. A goodbye honk is like a goodnight kiss: hard to do if you are mad at someone.

It is an unfortunate sign of the times if my kids have come to think of the horn as a thing you use to sound off at another driver.

So what are we teaching our kids by example and what they absorb from the rest of society if they look at car horns primarily as a tool of aggression? The increase in road-rage and the erosion of the old-fashioned accident-preventing car horn to the point where the horn is mainly an accent mark for flaring tempers is undoubtedly due to many factors.

But can we stem this trend by taking a look again at how we see other people? When we respect other people as God's creation, as people that God also loves, we move even our road etiquette up a little higher on the civility scale.

"Show a gentle attitude toward everyone," says the Bible in Philippians 4:5.

Does that apply to my road behavior, too?

Thought of the Day

"Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional."

- Max Lucado

:smitten:

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I'm off to church at 8 a.m. so I'm marking my place for later.  I'll be back to see what ya'll are up to while I'm gone.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Janie.  See you after church.

Amy

Good morning everyone.

We had a very light dusting of snow overnight.no need to dance with the shovel or snowblower today.

Tis a day of rest here,I may just play with the sewing machine :thumbup:

Joan,nice graphic from Phyllis . Thank you for breakfast,I will enjoy a raspberry DD with my tea...and leave the lemon one for Gloria

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good Morning, Amy.  GREAT you have no dates today.:)  There's plenty of each kind of donut, so how about treating yourself to one of each while you play with your sewing machine?

phyllis

Good morning!  Chilly and breezy here today but the sun is coming up.  Yesterday was dreary in the morning but cleared by afternoon.

Thanks, Joan, for posting the graphic and thanks to those who like it. 

Sorry, Callie, about OK.  I hate those "blow-out" kind of games.  I saw on this morning's news that UNC won their game by a wide margin, too.  And there was the usual wild celebration over in Chapel Hill (12 miles from me).  I tried to watch the last half after I went to bed but found that apparently my bedroom TV has decided to expire.  It is so old that I'm not surprised.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Kelly

Hi Jenny
I retired at 3.10am!

A bit  late even for me!

Kelly

Kelly

Hi Joan
It is afternoon here, but good morning to you

Kelly

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.
clear here , according to weather gusser it is suposed to get in the eighty's today' Kelley what part of the wourld is your Ila. in? Larry is not corect on spel checker here. click on it it brings up a blank page and dose nothing. it must rember how bad i messed with it's brain before the sight went down?

Lloyd

Kelly

Hi Lloyd
The Isle of Man is an off shore Islsnd in the UK.

It is about 75-80 miles from Ireland and about 75-80 miles from Liverpool which is on the North West coast of England.

Have a good day Lloyd

Kelly

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Got to get to gettin and get in and out of bathroom before wife needs in there.
But the coffee is on if anyone wants a cup.

Kelly

Hi Halkel
A very good morning to you.

Kelly

Lloyd Hammond

Hal don't get in too big hurrie and get in trouble.

Lloyd

roley

G'day all. Hi Lloyd, sorry missed you today , I will look out for tomorrow usual time !.
I notice i'm down as a 'NEWBIE'!, Fantastic, I think i'll log in and out a few more times and knock a few more years of my age !, lol.   
Can feel a spring in my step already !, Hello Joan,  again.  :thumbup:

MaryTX

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  We have chilly and windy here, too.  Temp today is to be 15° lower than yesterday.  I watched the Syracuse game because Ray was a Syracuse grad and an AVID fan--and we are from Syracuse.  Syracuse certainly was the underdog.

Kelly--Good morning/Good afternoon.

Lloyd--Good morning.  You're getting temps like we had yesterday.

Good morning halkel.  You are rushing around this morning.

roley--Good morning.  We are all newbies since the site is new.  We're "young" again.:)

Good morning, MaryTX.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a 50 degree sunny and calm morning here in South Carolina.  The high is suppose to be 68 for a short while this afternoon.  I stayed up too late last evening watching the basketball games, neither one of which were particularly exciting.  The first game was a rout with Providence winning by over 40 points and the second one had North Carolina winning for over 10 points.  The Master's Golf Tourney week activities are underway and getting started on a very nice morning.  In addition to the golf, there are also many other activities going on related thereto.  Many of our church folks leave town during this week as school is on spring break and a number of people rent out their homes for the week. 

I had a really nice thing happen to me as I was putting my purchases at Walmart in my truck yesterday.  I had mostly pretty heavy items including 6 gallons of distilled water we use for the CPAP machines.  This nice couple walked by and saw I was struggling a bit as was exhausted from all the walking I had to do in the store and they wanted to help me load the purchases in the truck. I willingly accepted their kind offer and really appreciated the help. 

We will attend Sunday School and church today as usual.  I signed up several weeks ago to bring the devotional today for our Sunday School class and have something ready to share.  I expect we will eat out after church and then have a quiet afternoon.

I have read all of the postings since yesterday and since I don't have much time left this morning before we need to leave for church, and since my posting above is already fairly long, I will just wish you all a good Sunday and will be back tomorrow. 

Kelly

Hi Larry
It is so nice that people we do not know will help us when they see we need assistance.

Kelly

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Phyllis,  the basketball game certainly was a HUGE disappointment  -especially for the award-winning OU Senior player.  Onward and Upward!

For some unknown reason, I had a "short night".   Hope to make it to church but may have to skip OTL with the usual group to come home and take a nap.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the
cool and windy,  rocky post of Maine.   
It is early Spring like here,  which is
expected. 

I am so glad that someone was available to
help  lighten your load, Larry.   

I have found most people to be very
helpful when they see someone struggling. 

I love this time of the year,  because
Winter is so far off,  down the road.   

S&F  has come a long way since it
crashed and burned.   It goes to show
how people get together now to make
sure that everyone is included,  when
rebuilding from pretty  much scratch!   

Wishing everyone a great week!
Sandy
:crazy2:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

RAMMEL

Good morning all. Hope we have a smoooooother week that we did last week.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Gloria

Good morning everyone, well when I pulled up the shades this morning I looked out to a white world. Yes we did get snow. It was raining when I went to bed, have no idea when it changed to snow. The trees are all covered in white and look beautiful. Our maintenance man goofed this time. He doesn't stay here on week ends, he is off duty then and if he stays someone is always after him to do something. When snow id in the forecast he pits a notice in the lobby about moving cars. Well cars weren't moved and bot plowed in this morning. He is here now and clearing the walkways.

JENNY  wish your avatar was bigger so I could make out the faces of the grands I see there. I was told that when they built this building they had planned on central AC but did not leave enough room between the floors for the things that would carry it to the apartments. I think they just decided not to pay for it. I was also told when they first started they were going to have this building for assisted living but changed their minds. My SIL is one smart guy.  He is great with small detail. That is what makes all his train layouts look so real. When it gets hot my AC will get put in. Last year the manager wanted all out by October 1st. They had an inspection coming up from the big guys and wanted nothing to distract from the beauty of the building. She calls this “her property”. She is not liked by anyone here but I stay away from her so have no problems. I try hard to follow the rules.

KELLY  Moghrey Mie. Hope I have the right greeting. In the short time I have been sitting here the sun is now shining and the snow is already dropping from the trees. Of course it is windy and that is helping the snow drop from them. Ahh springtime in New England.

SUN  not fun at all when we have a hand we cannot use. Been there with both hands but not at the same time. It was a challenge learning to use the mouse with my left hand.

PHYLLIS     love the graphic and the Showers and Flowers.  Nicer than the snow and flowers of this morning.

JOAN  now I feel like I am “home” again with the DD's to go with my coffee. You know which one I want. I will save some for Gloria D. Mmm so good, I will need a second one please. Chuckles,  smart game warden. Just what happens to a lot of people listening to a Pastor or a Priest. Like Food for Thought. I know I seldom used the car horn in my years of driving. Good quote. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  we got the snow during the night instead of you. Thanks for leaving the lemon DD's for both Glorias.

LLOYD  don't worry about spell check. We know what you are saying and misspelled words happen to all of us.

HAL  thanks, I'll have another cup of coffee.

ROLEY  good to see you post here again.

LARRY  wow Providence won?  Not a good game with a win of 40 points. I never watch sports except for figure skating. There are still some nice helpful people in the world and you met a couple of them yesterday.  Restores faith in mankind.

SANDY  it didn't look like spring when I first looked out this morning. This is New England and never know what we will get at this time of year.

RAMMEL  as long as S&F is up and running it will be a smooth week.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  How nice of those folks to offer to help you get the groceries loaded in your vehicle.  I sure was disappointed that Syracuse lost last night.

Callie--Good morning.  Sorry you had a short night.  Maybe after church you can get a nap.

Good morning, Sandy.  This site sure has come a long way from where we were last Sunday.

Rammel--Good morning.  Me, too.

Gloria--Good morning.  Gosh it seems the snow should be over.  It would be nice if you had central a/c instead of having to use window units. Does management put them in for you?

Lindancer

It is Sunday morning, and I think we are all happy campers again.  Right now the sun is shinning, had snow when I got up also, and they are saying more snow to morrow, and down into the 20's to morrow night.  Right now the wind is awful, lot of damage according to the TV already.  We are going to have 60mi. gust until after 6PM.

I heard from my DIL, who was driving to Tenn. yesterday, she made it safe and sound, now I will have to worry her all the way home to Mass. next week.

Joan, thanks for saving Gloria and I some lemon DD.  I have not had a DD since the last time.

Phyllis, thanks also for a nice graphic.

Amy, glad you did not have to shovel.

Larry, I was watching the childrens golf this morning.  Wow!, there are a lot of good players coming up, and they are interested in somthing else but a hand held gaget.  More power to those parents, for getting the children out in the fresh air.

Lloyd, I am also waiting for spell check to come back, but I know it all takes time, just happy the cyber family seems to be all comeing back with a lot of new friends.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JaneS

Well, I'm home from church but it's not a very nice day! We had snow overnight too but not enough to lay.  I didn't think much of it until I tried to get in the car to go to church.  All four doors were frozen shut.  I finally worked both back doors open but couldn't get the front ones ope for anything.  So I climbed over to the front from the back and managed to get into the driver's seat and was on my way.  Surprise!  the door still wouldn't open when I got to church.  I knew I couldn't do the climb in reverse and nothing was working to get the door open.  I finally managed to change my position enough that I could kick at the door and it opened.  By now, I've probably given you all your wild guffaw for the day just imagining an old lady dressed for church climbing around insid a Volkswagen Golf!  Go ahead!  Throw back your head and LAUGH!  I am!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Sandy

I have to keep reminding myself
that Lindancer  is    aka "Gloria"

I added  "aka dapphne"  under my profile,
just in case someone is wondering who
sandy davidson is ...   

Phew 
Sandy
:crazy2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Kelly

Hi Gloria
Yes it was right

Enjoy your Sunday.

Kelly

Kelly

Amy

Jane, I did have a laugh with you as I could imagine the antics you went through to get out... :2funny:

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers