Random Image

bird dog

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Joan, I went online to ask if Kona coffee was available in the state of Washington and found it is available in Seattle and I know you are not near there.  As I don't know the names of any of your stores, I can only tell you it is available at Amazon and Target.  Lots of other stores, but I don't know their locations.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news about June.  We never posted in the same folders over the years, so I never got to know her personally.  However, I made a point of reading her messages in Soda Shoppe, because she was always so cheerful, upbeat and positive . . .  no matter the circumstances.  She will be missed here in Seniors and Friends.

wjoan

Mary Ann, I did check out Amazon but I must have missed it.  The thing is I have bought Kona coffee here for many years and never had a problem.  I can get it on line but it is rom HI and shipping is not cheap.  Just wanted to make sure that it was not pulled off the shelves here for some reason or other.  I will continue to search for it.  Thanks.

Mary Ann

Joan, give me the names of some of the stores in your area and I'll go online to see if they still carry the Kona coffee.  I don't drink it so I don't know if it's available here.

There was a list of stores shown that carry it but I don't know their locations.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

After the excitement of my birthday it is now back to the real world...early morning annual check-up dentist appointment, in less than two hours...Tomorrow morning my annual opticians check-up...Ok, nothing too drastic then..
" There is no present like the time "

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Today at least I am able to hold my head up, which I had some trouble doing yesterday. We are going to have some nice weather again today although probably won't see the sun much as suppose to be cloudy with a 90% chance of rain tonight, which will be welcomed as maybe it will help with the pollen.  Nothing on the schedule for today.  After four days of basketball from noon until late at night I will feel lost this afternoon so back to the old afternoon and evening schedule.  I should finish up another audio book this afternoon.

Like all of you I am also saddened that we have lost our dear June, always a ray of sunshine regardless of how she was feeling.  I know the last few months have been difficult for her but she will suffer no more and think of the wonderful memories she has left us with of her kindness and wisdom. 

Am just going to sign off for today with this check in.

Marilyne

Computer problems this morning, so I'm going to turn it off completely and let it rest for a while, in hopes that will help.  Ha ha - wishful thinking!
I hope to return later.

Denver

LARRY, your words regarding Our June are very true....she was, indeed always a ray of sunshine, and yes, she did leave us with wonderful memories of her kindness and wisdom.

I have not been able to get in to this forum for quite sometime, but thanks to JACKIE, I just tried again, and it was successful.  It is nice to be here again. 

JACKIE, I hope you get a good report from your dentist and your optician.  I recently went to my eye doctor and she told me I have 20/20 vision and my cheater glasses are fine for reading......I left there feeling rather uncertain because I sure do not feel like I have 20/20 vision! 

Enjoy your day.

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...welcome back... :)

...I did get a good rapport from my dentist this morning but I told him my inside mouth is still feeling strange with a lumpy feeling down the left side of my throat, I feel this when I move my tongue around, he said I need to get back to my GP who will send me for hospital testing, after I had told him, this was still after a months course of Carbamazepine..

Good you got a good rapport from your opticians even though you are somehow doubting it, maybe a second opinion would help if this can be done...

Mary Ann

Jenny, it is good to see you here and a good morning to Larry and Jackie.

I posted this in the Soda Shoppe, but I have tried to find an obit for June in Stanton, Heber and even St Peter MN and have found nothing.  With a memorial service this afternoon I thought there would be something.  So - if anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Dot and I are going to do our usual Sunday-after-church thing today.  I am sure we will have our usual Tuna Melt. 

It is a beautiful day with the temperature in the low 40s.  Sun is shining which makes it a beautiful day - so far!

Tom is subbing but will be done soon because he's going to get groceries at 1 pm after his class is finished.  I did not hear where he was teaching, but it is near by.

Marilyn, Tom is going to have to look at my #2 computer where I have my tax information.  I want to print it to look at it and I am told I do not have PDF.  Both Tom and I have downloaded it, so he will see what is going on. 

Jackie, it's good you had a good dentist report, but I'd follow up on the lumps in your throat.  I have a cleaning appointment tomorrow.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Thanks Mary Ann for letting us know about June.  She was a lovely person.  It always hurts to lose one of our dear S&F friends.

I didn't check in yesterday as I seemed to be busy all day doing nothing.  I guess I spent most of it reading.

We are having some really nice weather.  It is so good to hear from Joan.

Joy, it won't be long before you can enjoy some nice spring weather.  I never cared for March when we lived in Maryland.  It was always too windy and I was forever taking something for my allergies.  My favorite month when we lived in that area was October.  The air always seemed so fresh and clean and good for walking in the evening.

The pollen here is pretty bad right now, but the days are so nice.  I bought myself a compact Cuisinart bread machine and am baking some white bread.  If that turns out good, I think I'll try some whole wheat next.  If I didn't have this bad back, I would love to work in the yard.  But all those years of yard work and raising a home garden has taken its toll.

Have a good day everyone.

wjoan

Mary Ann, we have the usual stores like Safeway, Albertsons, etc but these two stores stopped carrying Kona.  Not sure I can talk my kids into hunting other stores.  Walmart used to carry it, but no luck there either.  Thanks for checcking on Amazon for me.  Since I have a Prime account there I will work on that option for now.  :)

Mornin all.

Mary Ann

Joan, there is a list of stores that carry Kona, however, only the names are shown, not the locations.  Well, we tried!

Jean, we are limited in where we can plant things here at my condo and both areas are in the shade so there is only so much I can plant.  My neighbor has taken over my planting and I appreciate it, but I have lost a lot of little perennial flowers that come up in the spring.  She evidently doesn't care about them as I do but I do notice some snowdrops are showing up.  I try to tell her about the bulbs, but since I can't do my own gardening, I don't complain too much.  She likes a more formal garden where I like wild flowers.  Oh well!

Dot and I had our Sunday brunch today, same old, same old, but we both like the Tuna Melt and she picked out a pie with chocolate chips on it and that was good.  We covered topics from A to Z but did not solve any of the world's problems.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

It worked!  I shut my computer completely off, and left it off for a few hours.  Now seems to be okay.

Mary Ann - I remember that June owned a house in the city of Long Beach, right before she moved into that first senior facility in Hemet. There may have been an obituary in the Long Beach newspaper, which is called The Long Beach Press-Telegram.  The paper may not even exist anymore, although Long Beach is a huge city, so they probably still have a newspaper?  I think June lived there for quite a while, so would have known lots of people there.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'll try Long Beach, but why would the family put an obit in a newspaper in a town she had not lived in for a long time and possibly had no connections.  I think when I first was aware of June, she lived in Hemet and she lived there a long time before going to Stanton.  I only checked St Peter MN because she was born there and I think still had relatives in the area.  I see I checked Heber, not Hemet, so there must be a city in CA names Heber.  I'll try Hemet.

I'm glad you got your computer to working OK.  Tom is home now, napping, and when he has time he's going to check my #2 computer to see why Adobe Acrobat doesn't register.  I want to run a test copy but I'm going to want a permanent copy of my taxes after I e-file.  And I will send a hard copy to the state.  The #2 computer is the only one that works with my printer.  Computers do have minds of their own!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I agree that it is unlikely that June's family would put an obit in the Long Beach paper, unless they know that she had a lot of friends there.  I think that Stanton, is very close to LB.  Anyway, they may not post a newspaper notice at all?

My older daughter and granddaughter are here, so I will be keeping my messages shorter than usual - which is probably a good thing! None of my "books" for a few days! 

I forgot to mention - AJ woke up during the night with a throbbing toothache, so called his dentist this morning, and he will have the tooth pulled later on this afternoon.  Actually only an hour from now, at 4:00.  He's not at all concerned.  I wish I had that calm, worry-free personality! 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I complained about a pain between two teeth and the dentist could not find anything wrong, but he did find something wrong with the tooth on the bottom below that tooth.  So he had that one pulled.  It doesn't show.  I trust my dentist, but I am not convinced there was anything wrong with the tooth pulled and I still have the pain between two teeth.  X-rays don't show anything wrong and it was decided there is an exposed nerve.  I was calm too but I don't want any more extractions.  Good luck to AJ.

I have a cleaning appointment tomorrow.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Hi Everyone! I'm back for awhile... Since Christmas I've had health problems and don't often feel like posting. I do keep up with Facebook, mostly for contact with my family. I had nearly non-stop company during February and most of this month. Mostly family but they're a big help when they are here.

I am so sorry to hear of June's passing. As others have said, she was an inspiration. Always looking on the bright side and seeing the best in everyone.

I also did a search for obituaries but found none. I remember her saying once that June was her middle name so after searching some more, I found her name...Marjory June Drabek. It's possible they haven't posted an obituary yet so I'll continue to look.

Larry - Sorry to hear you've been feeling "under the weather" lately. I've missed all of you and hope to come in here more often.

Mary Ann

Beverly, I'm sorry to hear you've had health problems and I hope you're on the mend.  I have hunted every place I could think of to find an obit for June.  I was spelling her first name as Marjorie but I think any paper would catch that difference.  Since she died March 6 and her memorial service was today (3/25), I wonder if we'll find anything.  It would seem an obit would be in the paper before the service.  I'll look a few more days, then give it up.

Get better!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann - Beverly...
...quoting: " I have hunted every place I could think of to find an obit for June," so have I and with no luck either...been trying to put my private investigating skills to use. Yes I once part trained to be a private investigator after attending a women's entrepreneurial business course at college some 25 plus years ago..

There is an Elizabeth June Drabek who passed away 2016 Oklahoma, who does look remarkably like our June ( or the way I picture her to look )  but this lady was younger at age 81, and of course the year date doesn't tally....did June have a sister? as her obit states " her faith in the Lord Jesus Christ was steadfast and true." just like our Junes faith..

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is going to be a cloudy and cooler day today getting up only into the low 60s. We did get a nice rain last evening. Yesterday afternoon Scott came over for a few minutes to fix my 50 foot oxygen hose along the walls and behind our easy chairs where it does not present a tripping hazard and I started using oxygen sitting in my easy chair during the afternoon and evening as well as in the afternoon while I am resting in bed and during the night.  Sorry to say that I am not getting any better but weaker each day it seems.   Just checking in for today.

Beverly, good to see you back and so sorry you have not been feeling well.

Mary Ann

Larry, I hope the use of oxygen helps you.  I know it makes it easier to breathe.  Cheers for Scott being able to help you.  As we've said, your move to North Augusta was a very wise one.

Jackie, I don't think I ever heard June mention family except her descendants.  I do know she was born in St Peter MN which is south of Minneapolis/St Paul and I think she and her parents moved to California when she was young. 

I was so disappointed this morning when I looked in on the Duluth shipping and found the 5 am arrival was not listed.  I don't remember the name of the ship but the first ship shown was to arrive at 2 pm.  I went back to bed!

I had a dental appointment this morning at 11 am and mentioned it to Tom last night.  He had not marked it down and signed up for a sub-teaching job today.  We thought about it for a while and I finally said I'd cancel my appointment, which I have done.  I was able to make another appointment in three weeks.  It is the same day Dot and I will have our pictures taken for the church directory but three hours earlier. 

We started out at 18 degrees but with the sun shining a few hours later, we now are at 34 degrees.  It is surprising to look out the kitchen window and see no snow; it has melted that fast.  I am sure we are not out of the woods yet.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...my dental appointment was yesterday, my annual check-up.... my opticians annual check-up was this morning...I was given a good rapport, no change from last year, the same was said last year, or very little change last year...I still went ahead and ordered another pair of reading glasses, told her that I have had it with walking from one end of my home to the other saying, " now where did I leave my glasses, so I want one pair to be at each end."  ;D  Last year I chose carefully the opticians to go to, unlike Richard he prefers the large concerns that do it cheaper whereby I prefer the smaller independent ones, so once again I went to the same one I went to last year which is run Independently owned by the Jewish female owner, and I believe the receptionist was a mature in age Jewish lady too...I am more than happy with the lady who runs-owns who checks my eyes...she is not available everyday of the week, but I booked specifically for her just like last year...

Mary Ann, if you can, look up the other June I mentioned and see the similarities in looks-appearance...but no, her obit does not mention our June nor Gary, nor Dori, so no relations...

Mary Ann

Jackie, I had already seen the Elizabeth June Drabek, noticed the similarity in looks, but knew it was not June of S&F because of the age, location and she died long before June.  I also do not recall her ever mentioning living in Oklahoma. 

My optometrist's office is across a busy road from us.  If I could walk far and ably, I'd walk over there.  My dentist is in the same building.  The building is a bi-level and I have to walk up steps to get to his office.  I've gone there for over 40 years and I was much more able then.  The optometrist is on the lower floor and there is a ground floor entrance which is nice for me.  My optometrist said she has done all she can for me and my eyesight is not good.  I do not have Macular Degeneration but I do have the start of glaucoma.  In my 90s, what can I expect!?

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

The same for Richard last year, " done all they can for him.." He has the starting of right angle? glaucoma, and cataracts in both eyes and he is just 74...been on the NHS waiting list 10 months now and this is just to see the eye consultant, our lengthy waiting lists are getting longer and he is way overdue to what he was told, then another lengthy wait to actually have them done, one eye at a time...

Mary Ann

Jackie, I had cataract surgery in 1999, 20 years ago.  My optometrist kept track of their growth and had me see the doctor who would do the surgery.  He told me that I would decide when it was time for surgery and I made the decision.  Oddly enough, Norm decided on his surgery about the same time.  His second surgery and mine were on the same day, his first, then mine.  One of the nurses commented that it was the first brother-sister combo they had ever had. 

It's too bad Richard must wait so long.  I hear advantages of your system, and I also hear disadvantages, such as the long waits.

Mary Ann

Joy

I also have been looking for June's obituary.  I would think that with her son being a minister,  they would have had a notice in the paper because I am sure they all must have a lot of friends who would be interested in reading it. 

Wasn't Gloria the one who had gotten in touch with Dori ?  Maybe mention to her to see if maybe she could get back in touch with Dori, to see if there is one and maybe Dori could pass it on to Gloria. 

Just adding my little 2cents worth.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I have looked in the Stanton, Hemet and Santa Cruz newspapers.  There is nothing going back to the first of March. 

I thought of asking Gloria to contact Dori again, but I do not want to put that burden on her; she has done enough by contacting Dori and getting a response.  I have even put June's name on the search line and nothing comes up, nor does anything for Edward Drebek, June's husband. 

I will keep looking for another week, maybe to the end of the month/week and you can do so also.  I have an idea the memorial service was at Rowntree and a notice would have been put somewhere in the building so residents could attend. 

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mornin all.  Sunshine here this morning and snow all melted now.    Never seen so much snow in my life.  LOL

Hope all have a good day.  Hugs all around.

Mary Ann

Hi Joan, our snow is gone too, but I fear we'll get more as it's still March.  But then, April showers should bring May flowers and I'm looking forward to that.

Mary Ann