Random Image

Trip to Thailand

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:16:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Gripes

Started by Jeanne Lee, April 08, 2016, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMMEL

FWIW   -   Probably not the right place for this but I couldn't decide where else to post it.

http://republicbroadcasting.org/news/u-s-busts-300-million-fraud-ring-of-phony-irs-callers-arrests-56/
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Carol

It seems a good idea to verify everything - all the IRS calls that can be scams for instance. 

A Firefox logo just appeared on my laptop and quick as wink, my security flashed a warning to delete it - apparently a  bogus logo.  The logo wanted me to download something suspicious. 

This laptop is only two years old and was completely dead a few days ago - so irritating.  My old iPad is having some problems too and there is no way to replace it  - now to see if it can be fixed for a reasonable price - oh, yes - that is why they are billionaires.

halkel

Carol, go to YouTube and type in problem and search.  You might find answer to your problem. Do it for both you IPad and pic.

angelface555

It was my understanding that the IRS never phoned but sent letters. I would be very skeptical of any government, banking or other such institution calling me. Now my bank at the time did call me once to get approval for a large check I had written someone. But that has been the only time.

When I used a landline, everything went through the answering machine, and I then decided if I wanted to call back. My cell phone takes messages, and I tend to believe if it is important to reach me, they will call back. I don't jump to answer my phone.

In my own opinion, people don't think, just react and not thinking something through is what the shysters in our world expect.

RAMMEL

The IRS does NOT call people.  This scam was a popular one in this area. I probably got at least 4 "IRS scam calls".  Ignored them.   Every once in a while I get a call from a guy that sounds Indian stating he represents MicroSoft and wants to help me fix my computer. I just tell him I took it into the shop and then hang up.

Other annoying calls are - Chimney cleaning, carpet cleaning, credit card interest reduction (always my last chance), solar panel deals, green people.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Beverly

My favorite is the one who used to call wanting to re-new the warranty on a car I hadn't had for years. Oh, and the ones who want to paint the siding on our house (which is vinyl!)

angelface555

I don't know why, but in the last two months I have gotten repeated letters from local insurance companies, Allstate, Etna, etc.; and cellphone messages from others about upgrading or revising my car insurance. Since I do not, (never have); own a car,and never have driven, it shows how little thought put into these messages, legitimate or not.

The majority of the time, unknown cell phone messages are deleted sight unseen.

angelface555

One scam I have never understood their reasoning. Perhaps it is simply their Robo messages, but still....

On my email that plainly begins with angelface, I get all the girls, girls, girls, messages along with dubious performance-enhancing claims. On the one beginning with my last name, I rarely receive any spam. Since all supposed spam is routed to a server and not my email until I delete it or okay it, I don't have viruses. But I think I'm insulted that the perception is of  "angelface"  looking for love in all those wrong places!

Mary Ann

Patricia, I get those e-mails occasionally too and they go into Spam where I delete them.  And with phone calls, I don't answer a call if I don't recognize the caller.

Mary Ann

June Drabek

The most annoying call I receive is this sweet voiced girl telling me I have just won a trip to the Bahamas. That's all I listen to before hanging up.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

angelface555

All of my cell phone calls go to messages if I don't see a name with the number or I'm not by my phone. Since I pay for the cell phone, it is for my convenience.

I am the same way with my front door. I do not jump in a mad rush to answer it and sometimes I do not answer it at all. Those who know me, know this.

halkel

Angel, I have a neighbor like you, one time I saw her yard full of water and thought she had a leak (fortunately she didn't) but I knew she and her son were home and she would not answer her door or phone, through sheer persistence I finally got her attention, but I always considered her very inconsiderate of neighbors who may just be trying to alert you to a problem.  There could be a fire you are not aware of.

angelface555

Hal, you know what they say about assumptions.

wjoan

JeanneP

Going to try and not gripe in 2017 or listen to anyone who does. Been to much in the past few years it seems.

Jeannelee. Hope you have a healthy one this year.
JeanneP

Lindancer

Mary Ann, I never answer the phone, when I do not recognize the caller, the name also goes across my TV.  If it is someone who knows me they will say my name, and say pick up the phone.

I have a glass panel in my door, so I can see the person.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Carol

I have to be in charge of the cell phone and it is so annoying to me.  More and more calls are from telemarketing.

We have good friends with massive health issues and they face their burdens with strong faith - so I will never be as good as them but they are heroes to us. 

I do have a gripe.  Stop anyone from moving to Colorado - the roads are totally jammed.  I hear the same gripe from friends in Seattle and we witnessed the gridlock last year.  My concern is how on earth rescue can get through these messes.  What a waste of fuel sitting on the "freeway". 

SCFSue

I've solved the unwanted cell phone calls by no longer using my cell phone unless I'm driving out of town (which I haven't done in over a year because my son has grounded me because of a bad fall which has injured my right leg.  I have a car with a clutch and must use 2 legs when driving).  I have ATT home phone service and I learned earlier this year that I can call anywhere in the U.S. as a toll free call.  Perhaps this might be a solution for others with unwanted cell phone calls if they have ATT phone service.  I also use ATT for my internet provider.

SCFSue

angelface555

I keep two cell phones charged. One in my purse and one stays at home. But I do more texting than calling. I use email for the majority of communication so the phones are more for business, taxi's or "government work." I have few calls unrelated but adverts by text seem to be increasing. Since they have a subject line visible, I can delete them without having to pay by opening them.

CallieOK

First thing I saw when I came into this forum was:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I think I do so here goes about something that makes me look for my red grading pencil every time "loose" is used for "lose" in a post.  I'll use as an example what is often mentioned this time of year..... getting rid of the calories consumed over the holidays.

If you plan on getting rid of them,  you are going  "LOSE" them (pronounced "looz").  If you type that you want to "LOOSE" them, they'll still be clinging to your hips!
(If you're successful, you will have LOST them - not LOOST them!) 
Spelling makes a difference.

Thank you for listening.  ;D

RAMMEL

If you take the word LOSE and toss in another "o", it becomes LOOSE.  It sort of loosens it up.  LOOSE - not tight, but loose.  ;D

Now, how about  to, too, two?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

There must be more complaints or is everybody satisfied.  Loosen up and let us hear about it.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

RAMMEL

As I recall, the loose comment came from an English teacher.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

I've seen it in  posts by several different people in several different contexts.    May be a "spell check" thing.

Mary Ann

I've noticed the "lose" and "loose" uses but have said nothing.  My gripe is the use of 'he and I" where it should be "him and me" or similar phrases.  I like to think I learned good grammar in school and try to practice it.  There are many cases of using "we" instead of "us". 

I just grin and bear it.

Mary Ann

angelface555

I have a gripe. Often I am proofreading a post when the phase "squinting modifier" comes up. What in the world does that mean in English grammar?

Explanations are no help!

"A squinting modifier is an ambiguous modifier (commonly an adverb, such as only) that appears to qualify the words both before and after it. Also called a two-way modifier or squinting construction. A squinting modifier can usually be corrected by changing its position in the sentence.Apr 10, 2017"

CallieOK

Angelface,  can you give an example?

Edit: Never mind.  :)   I found this link  https://www.thoughtco.com/squinting-modifier-grammar-1692130.

angelface555

That might be hard to do as I've already corrected the error, but while I believe it refers to not having an object for a description, I'm not sure other than entirely rewriting the sentence. Again, from Google, "It is out of place because it could modify the word or phrase that comes before or after it. Squinting modifiers are a type of misplaced modifier, and they can change the meaning of sentences. This is because the intention of the sentence is unclear. As a result, two different sentences (or meanings) exist."

Google comes to my aid. "What is a Squinting Modifier? Definition, Examples of Misplaced Modifiers
Home » The Writer’s Dictionary » What is a Squinting Modifier? Definition, Examples of Misplaced Modifiers

Squinting modifier definition: A squinting modifier is a type of modifier (a word that describes) that is misplaced. A squinting modifier can modify the word or phrase before or after it.

What is a Squinting Modifier?
What does squinting modifier mean? A squinting modifier is a word that describes something, but that is out of place. It is out of place because it could modify the word or phrase that comes before or after it.

Squinting modifiers are a type of misplaced modifier, and they can change the meaning of sentences. This is because the intention of the sentence is unclear. As a result, two different sentences (or meanings) exist.

Squinting modifiers are usually adverbs.

Squinting Modifier Example:

Jumping up and down quickly entertained him.
The problem here is that the adverb “quickly” could modify the phrases “jumping up and down” or “entertained him”
Is it that he was jumping up and down quickly?
Or is it that he was quickly entertained?"

That makes sense. Even if it had three unclear antecedents according to my proofreader.Now if I could fix my other error which is usually using a passive voice in my sentences.

Your link was also helpful.

RAMMEL

How often have you heard "disorientated"?  How does that compare with "disoriented"?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK