Random Image

The Cat Tree and Shelf

Owner: Sasha
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Gripes

Started by Jeanne Lee, April 08, 2016, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

"verbs - Disoriented vs. Disorientated - English Language & Usage ...
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/204767/disoriented-vs-disorientated
Perhaps "Disoriented" is more of an adjective, where "Disorientated" is more appropriately a verb. An example would be: Adjective: He became disoriented in the forest. Verb: He disorientated himself in the forest."

Mary Ann

Patricia, I had never heard the term "squinting modifier" but reading the suggestions shown, I think it refers to the placement of a word/modifier.  Where you place the word determines the meaning. 

Mary Ann

wjoan

How about the mis use of there and their?   That one ticks me off.

angelface555

Thank you, MaryAnn. Apparently, there is also a dangling modifier. I have always enjoyed the vocabulary and story side of the English language, but now I am attempting to learn what never stuck with me all those years ago. How to diagram a sentence, proper use of terms and writing a complete sentence.

I agree with you Joan and also with to or too, was and were or is and are and usually try to go with what sounds right. My issues are mainly using passive rather than active sentences and sentence fragments. Those are some of my worst errors.

CallieOK

Someone mentioned the use of "her and me" instead of "she and I'.  One of my high school English teachers taught us to read the sentence with only one of the pronouns.  We wouldn't say "Her went to the store"  or "Me is it"  (although I think "It's me" is now fairly common - and I'm as guilty as anyone else about saying this.)

I still diagram sentences in my head!   

RAMMEL

There / Their
Where is /where are
To, too, two
Except / accept (that often makes me stop and think).

English and History were never one of my strong points. Caused me lots of trouble back in the good old school days.

When I post I often just write as it comes to me. Not paying much attention to the proper King's English.

There are times to be proper and times to lay back and do what comes easily.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

I agree, Rammel.    I'm "talking in my head" when I write - which means I sometimes use "Okie-speak" and "creative" punctuation. 
My philosophy is "Take me for what I mean - not for what I say."  I assure you I do the same for others.
:thumbup:

Marilyne

Both Facebook and Nextdoor, are filled with spelling and grammar errors. Also, sentence structure is a thing of the past.  I don't think it's taught in public schools anymore?

Today, someone on Nextdoor asked the question, "Did anyone loose a down jacket at Oak Meadow Park on the 24th?"

Other that drive me crazy:
using are, instead of our . . . "This is a photo of are house", instead of,  "This is a photo of our house".
Using your instead of you're . . . "Your very welcome", instead of "You're very welcome".
Using there, instead of they're . . . ""There coming for dinner tonight", instead of "They're coming for dinner tonight".

RAMMEL

I aint got no good english so i aint gunna complane about yaws. 
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

angelface555

I've been taking many classes from Udemy and grammar is one of them that is giving me fits. Sometimes I don't agree with their take on my writing because it is electronic instead of human. Now, in that last sentence, should it be another word other than theirs? It can be confusing.

Mary Ann

Rick, I have long admired your "tag line" and I fully agree with it.

Patricia, I think in your last post that "their" is correct; others may disagree with me.  I used to love grammar in school and like to think I speak and write pretty good English.  Some of the examples above are ones that I notice when reading here.  I think one person who is guilty is a former teacher; I'm not sure.  And I certainly would not identify him/her.  Callie, I use the same test when writing "he and I", by noting I would not write "by he", but "by him".  I can mention one person who was very guilty of the "he and I" thing and he was my deceased brother, Norm.  He can't defend himself now.

Mary Ann

angelface555

"He saw a flying bird." "I saw a flying bird." ''I saw him there."  I was never good at diagraming sentences or applying rules of grammar, but I enjoyed supplying the teacher with sentences to use. :thumbup:

Often just reading it back will highlight any errors. However, in my classes, all adverbs and or adjectives tend to be struck such as "really" or the phrase "a number of'" becomes some. For example, MaryAnn, your use of the word pretty in "pretty good English" would be struck. Sometimes the reasons they give are not as clear to me as I believe they should be.

Mary Ann

Patricia, in my phrase "pretty good English", I think pretty is deleted because "good English" would be enough.  If you were to diagram your first two examples of flying birds, He and I would both be the subject and one would replace the other.  I used to love diagramming but I have forgotten much about it, especially when diagramming a complicated sentence. 

We sometimes talk about using the King's English (or Queen's if you prefer), but I think we speak mostly American English because we don't always use the same words that the English use.  I think the English car boot is our car hood - or is it the trunk? 

My Grandmother Tock once cut a piece out of her newspaper about plurals and it makes one wonder why things are not consistent.  I'll see if I can find it, but I know everyone has read similar poems and stories about our English language.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

I agree with Ramal word for word in post 98, I am to too two  old to start worrying

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Rammel,   :2funny:    Thank goodness you are such a good source of information for those of us to whom computer language is a mystery!

I get confused (become confused?  am confused?......   :uglystupid2: ) on using "who" and "whom" after a preposition.

Mary Ann

This is the one from my grandmother.  I also found a similar one from Ann Landers (see how long I've been saving things?)  Mary Ann

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

We’ll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes;
But the plural of ox should be oxen, not oxes.
Then one fowl is a goose, but two are called geese;
Yet the plural of moose would never be meese.
You may find a lone mouse, or a whole nest of mice,
But the plural of house is houses, not hice.
If the plural of man is always called men,
Then why shouldn’t the plural of pan be called pen?
Then cow in the plural may be cows or kine;
But a bow, if repeated, is never called bine,
And the plural of vow is vows, never vine.

If I speak of a foot, and you show me your feet,
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called a beet?
If one is a tooth, and a whole set are teeth,
Why couldn’t the plural of booth be called beeth?
If the singular’s this and the plural is these,
Should the plural of kiss ever be nicknamed kese?
Then one would be that, and three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural would never be hose;
And the plural of cat is cats, and not cose.

We speak of a brother, and also of brethren;
But, though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him;
But imagine the feminine she, shis and shim!
So the English, I think, you all will agree
Is the queerest language you ever did see.

angelface555

MaryAnn, I just wrote a post in Norm's B&T and the words "really" "definitely" and "pretty" were all struck. Evidently, two words I need to stop using are "really" and "also." I'm not sure, but I think I misjudged your meaning in "one would replace the other." You wouldn't say He saw him there?

The British term "boot" refers to our term "trunk." When I was in college, I took Business English instead of a regular English class for one of my course requirements. The professor redlined one of my first compositions due to my usage of English spellings. He wrote below that he could tell that I read several books by British authors but I needed to use American English and American spellings as it wasn't correct as I was in the habit of doing.

I copied your Grandmother's article, very true!

Mary Ann

Patricia, you wrote:  He saw a flying bird - and - I saw a flying bird.  Two sentences. If you were to diagram it, they would be identical; "he" is the subject in one sentence and "I" is the subject of the second sentence.  You could use the same diagram for both, and "I" would replace "He" in a separate diagram.

I explain things as clear as mud so I hope you understand what I wrote.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

I think the problem in "He saw a flying bird" is not making it clear whether he saw a bird that flies (not an ostrich or an emu, for example) or he saw a bird winging its way across the sky.   
(I suspect 99.99% of us would automatically choose the "winging bird"   ;) )

angelface555

In the two sentences, I saw it as one using a personal pronoun and one not. However, then per MaryAnn, they are both personal pronouns.

Calle, I was thinking of a flying bird when I wrote that sentence.

Thank you MaryAnn, I understand now.

What I do not understand is why the writing exercises in my course and by extension, the automatic editing of my email and forum posts, always seem to strike adverbs and adjectives? And practically everything I write is seen as passive voice rather than active.

Marilyne

Patricia - I use the words really, very, and actually, way too much, and I'm sure all three would be struck!  As I've gotten older, (gotten???), I tend to string my written sentences out with a dash, or three dots!  I suspect that my English teachers of long ago, would refer to them as "run on sentences". 

RAMMEL

Quote from: angelface555 on December 27, 2017, 02:07:21 PM
Often just reading it back will highlight any errors..................

Ditto that.
I also recommend doing that when people post a problem.  Read what you posted and decide if it tells the story in an understandable manner. Would you understand it if it was the first time you heard it, and had no pre-concepts?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Mary Ann  ---  About my "tag line". Are you aware of it's source.  It was from an infamous person, well disliked. BUT, it does make a point.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, no, I am not aware of the source of your quote, but as I said, I like it.  Who was the source?

I do reread my posts before I post them and sometimes I can proofread better after posting something.  It could be because of the wording, and, of course, spelling.  I am a good speller (was going to say pretty good, but not necessary) so do my own checking.  I often change the location of a word to have it modify the right word. 

Mary Ann

donklan

Another example of our confusing language

If you ever feel stupid, then just read on. If you've learned to speak fluent English, you must be a genius! This little treatise on the lovely language we share is only for the brave. Pursue at your leisure, English lovers.

Reasons why the English language is so hard to learn:

1.  The bandage was wound around the wound.
2.  The farm was used to produce produce.
3.  The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4.  We must polish the Polish furniture.
5.  He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6.  The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7.  Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8.  A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9.  When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10.  I did not object to the object.
11.  The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12.  There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13.  They were too close to the door to close it.
14.  The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15.  A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16.  To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17.  The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18.  After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19.  Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20.  I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21.  How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

Mary Ann

Good one, Don.  I've read it before but this time I saved it to put in my Potpourri.

Mary Ann

donklan

More of the same..............

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while
sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese.  So one moose, 2 meese? One  index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?  Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people
recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship?
Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You  have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which
your house can burn  up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling
it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity
of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are  invisible

(And my particular favorite......................Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?  ?)

PS. - Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick'?

You lovers of the English Language might enjoy this.

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP..'

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ? Why do we speak UP and why are the Officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room,  polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and
some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and
think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close  it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!  To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized
dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty
definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more..

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP . When the sun comes out we say it  is clearing UP... When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP. When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but  I'll wrap it UP, for now my  time is UP, so.........it
is time to shut UP!

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

Mary Ann

Don, I copied this one too, although I may have part of it; just didn't want to check.

I was going to add about driving on the parkway and parking on the driveway, but I saw you had that.  It is a favorite of mine, too.

Mary Ann

halkel

Mary Ann, the boot is the trunk.  The bonnet is the hood.
keeping your pecker up is to keep your spirits up.  To be knocked up is to be awoken. And so it goes, the Queens English can be quite confusing and it can also get you into trouble if you don't know the true meaning of a term or phrase.

Marilyne

Rammel:  IBM - Thomas J. Watson?