Random Image

Ready for 2017 Season

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

I don't want notifications by e-mail.   I think I'll stick with what I have.  :)
Thanks. 

JeanneP

I don't have any of those things such as Netflik Going to take a look into them as I pay way to much for what I can get on my Comcast. I am thinking of going back to using my roof Antanna in spring.
JeanneP

phyllis

I also get notifications from Netflix about new shows that have been, or are being, added to their lineup.

I watched "Madam Secretary" on On Demand last night and caught up with this new season.  I used to like this show more than I do now.  Doesn't appeal to me as much as it did.  And, if I cut the cable On Demand will no longer be available to me so that is another consideration on "do I or don't I".

Apparently the new season of "The Crown" has been delayed so I don't know when it will be out and can't find a date on Google search.  I'm looking forward to it because one of my favorite actors will be playing the part of Prince Phillip.....Tobias Menzies.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

Phyllis - Thanks for the info, that this upcoming season of The Crown, has been delayed.  I've been looking forward to it, so hope it isn't put off for months on end, as HBO has done with Game of Thrones.

I saw a recommendation in Soda Shoppe this morning from Joy, for a an old movie playing on Amazon, called One Special Day, with Julie Andrews and James Garner. I plan to watch it ASAP, as I like both actors very much. 

Last night we watched the new movie, The Greatest Showman, starring Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams.  Our daughter has been urging us to watch it for months on end, and now that it's finally playing on HBO for free, we watched it.  It's a musical, and is supposedly about the life of P.T. Barnum. Both AJ and I thought the music was terrible. All new songs that were written for this movie, and they were tuneless and the lyrics were repetitive and meaningless. Lots of "Whoa-Whoa-Whoa" chanting in the background.  I'm not a big fan of circuses, but nonetheless I expected to see circus acts, lots of trapeze, etc., but there was hardly any. The story was all about Barnum's use of the odd characters - Tiny Tim, the Bearded Lady, the albino, etc.

We can't figure why Sandy, our daughter is so crazy about the movie, but she especially loves the music, has the soundtrack CD, et al. Just points out the difference in the musical and movie tastes of the different generations.   

Lindancer

Marilyne, You will enjoy That Special Night, it has drama and humor. I have recommend a few time. I have even bought the CD and watch it every Christmas. To me anything with James Gardener or Julie Andrews has to be good

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

The MGM musical "Thousands Cheer" is just starting on TMC.   Looks like an allstar lineup.

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

phyllis

Rammel, I read about the Netflix price increase and it may just tip me toward canceling.  I've had a subscription to Netflix for more than 10 years and used it a lot in past years but now it seems I can't ever find anything there that I want to watch.  Amazon has a number of channels that they are offering with a 1 week trial.  I may check out either Acorn or Britbox...or, maybe both, and make a switch.
phyllis
Cary,NC

RAMMEL

Phyllis,
My son had the original Netflix but when they decided to charge separately for dvd's and streaming he cancelled. As you said, he had seen most of what he was interested in.
I have a "Smart TV" and can get Youtube and Amazon on it (and more). Amazon Prime has many advantages.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick and Phyllis Not sure, but I think the Netflix price increase is only a couple of dollars, bringing it up to around $10 per month?  We like lots of the programming on Netflix, so don't plan to cancel it.  We also have Prime, which is great. I haven't checked out all the others, like Acorn, but because there is enough for us on Amazon and Netflix, I'm wondering what the advantage would be?  We will most likely always keep our Comcast cable, because AJ likes to watch NHL hockey and college football, on the cable channels, and it's part of our bundle.  Also, some of the series that we've been following for many years on HBO and Showtime.

We do have a smart TV, but channels like YouTube, don't have closed captioning, so I never watch them. I'd rather go to On Demand, to find shows or movies that are recommended here. They always have captions, which both of us need.  I know cable is expensive - but we figure that we don't spend money on anything else in the way of entertainment, so that's our one big splurge.

FlaJean

We had Acorn for awhile, but we looked at everything we liked and nothing new was ever added, so we cancelled.  Presently we are still paying $11 for Netflix.  It hasn't gone up yet.  We've never joined Amazon Prime as we didn't think it would be worth it as we seldom order anything.  Most of what I have gotten from Amazon has come from Amazon gift "cards".

Lindancer

JUst got a notice cablevision  is going up again in Feb. there is no competition so will have to pay. Also our rent is going up 3 percent in April.

Now I am watching the clock as I want to watch Victoria at 9

JeanneP

Same happening here. Seems everything going up. Comcast I will go over and talk to them.
I am waiting for "Victoria"to come back on at 8pm also. One right on but thing repeating last weeks. When does the new series start.  TV is so bad at the moment. I think a few shows starting in Feb. Soon I will be going back to reading more books than anything.
I do miss the time when lots of Emailing. Now all are just texting. I liked writing long E.Mails just like when we did by sending by Snail Mail. I think I am going to try a few EMail addresses and see if can contact.  I do know that 3 of mine in UK passed away last year.
JeanneP

Marilyne

I'm not a "binge watcher" when it comes to a TV series, so I'm taking my time with the second season of Mrs. Maisel. I only have about three or four episodes left to watch, and will really miss it when it's over.  Too bad that,"the powers that be", let so much time elapse between seasons, but that's the way things are done in TV series programming.

All of the actors are so entertaining, and the time frame of the late 1950's is such fun to see. They really got the clothes and the settings done perfectly for that decade, along with the attitude! All of the actors are wonderful.  I especially like Tony Shalhoub, as Abe, father of Midge/Mrs. Maisel, and Kevin Pollak, as Moishe, father of Joel, Midge's ex husband. Both "over the top" characters, but very funny.

Other than that show, Sunday night we finished season #7 of Ray Donovan. An unrealistic drama,  but we've been following it for so many years that we can't let it go.  The same with Homeland, which will be starting up for the final season, in a few weeks.  I like Claire Danes, but it's past time for that series to be over!

Anybody else watching any of those three shows? 
Callie, I know you saw the final show in this season of Mrs. Maisel.  I'm looking forward to it, so I can catch a quick glimpse of your granddaughter!  :)

CallieOK

Marilyne, she's in the background of several shots but all you can see are her legs. All three girls standing together are wearing coats, hats and heels and carrying purses.  I think I can see her red hair but I seriously doubt that anyone else can.

New season of Doc Martin will begin next week on PBS.  I've watched the last couple of weeks to catch up on how the previous season ended.

Son is coming after work so I need to set the recorder for Dynasty.  Why I bother to watch that soap opera is puzzling but it's become a habit.  ;D 

Lindancer

Good evening, not to cold and no wind for a change.
Still tired from yesterday's company.  I plan on going to bed early and watching and old tape. Flower Drum Song. I watch it about once a year. I like the music .

JeanneP

Getting a little scary here now so cold and I Rory about furnace staying with it.going down to 16 below zero and will be even colder next 3 nights. Only 16 during day.
Can't believe in Chicago will be close to 40 deg below. First time since record that the country seen such cold weather they say..Red Cross no police out looking for any people trying to stay out on streets. Some don't like the shelters. We have lots of homeless here these days.
JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP, when we lived in Zion, IL, (1963 I think) it got to 20 below and our pipes froze but we lived in an apartment at the time and the super came around with a blow torch and warmed up the pipes under the sink.  I hope you get through this time OK.

Lindancer

We may have rain or snow :D Paper is saying rain,TV said snow. I will just look out the window and decide
Jeanne, I always let the water run all night if it gets very cold.My mobile just has light flooring between me and the ground.

FlaJean, I have been setting watch all the birdsmwhile drinking my coffee. I redheaded woodpecker, pair of cardinals, plenty of sparrows and snow birds. I have not had my pair of ravens this year. Yesterday, got a surprise there were 4 nuthatch upside down in the tree. I thought they had gone South.

Marilyne

JeanneP - Keep us posted on how you are doing?  It must be very hard to be alone in a house, in weather like you are having.  If your furnace goes out or anything bad happens, you can call 911, and they will send someone out to get you and take you to a safe place.

Gloria - You take care also! I'm glad you have helpful neighbors that you can call in case you need them for anything.

FlaJean

GloriaDe, we have been keeping the bird feeders with plenty of feed and have a lot of birds feeding in this cold weather.  It is really crazy weather.  Tonight it is going down to 32 degrees and next Tuesday it is supposed to get up to 70, according to the weather report.

SCFSue

FlaJean, up here in Auburn, the temperature when I went to bed was already down to 28* and may have gone lower.  However, when I went out to get my paper about 6:30 I didn't see any frost on the ground.  It was awfully chilly out there, though.  My son filled up my bird feeder on Monday, so birds that feed on the ground can have something to eat this week.  He'll be over again on Friday to take me out to do errands and will probably put more feed into that feeder.  Do you still have Robins at your place?  They usually stop here on their way farther north, but so far, no robins!

Sue

maryz

I just noticed that The Quiet Man (John Wayne & Margaret O'Hara) is going to be on TCM tonight at 10 pm ET.  I'll record it to watch at another time.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyne

Good Morning Sue and Maryz - Nice to see you both on this cold Winter day.  I hope we hear from JeanneP today, that she is doing okay, living all by herself in those freezing temperatures?

Maryz - Back when I was younger, I didn't care much for John Wayne, but now I have come full circle, and I really like a number of his movies.  The Quiet Man, is one of them, and I did record it last night, for tonight,  My favorite is They Were Expendable,followed by True Grit, and The Searchers. All classics that play often on TCM. (My favorite TV Channel!)

FlaJean

Sue, my husband mentioned a couple of days ago that he had seen a robin, so there must be a few around that are passing through.  It is so cold up north maybe they will stick around a little longer.😊
At 10:30 am and it is is 43 degrees and sunny here——-brr.

maryc

I'm a newcomer here.   Hadn't been here before because I usually don't watch TV.   Daughter Debby gave me a Firestick for Christmas so I've been watching more movies....still haven't connected with the TV series available there.   Last evening I connected my Hoopladigital account to the Firestick.   The movie The Dressmaker had been advertised on Hoopla for some time so I decided to watch that.   It was a sad story but interesting.   Gloria mentioned One Special Night.  I found that a week or so ago and liked it.  As someone said,  "anything with James Garner and Julie Andrews in it couldn't miss."
The Artic Blast has arrived in Western NY and most schools are closed today and tomorrow.   Here's the twist of that story.  Yesterday there were four bluebirds hanging around the back porch where the bird feeders are.   I put out meal worms for them but they didn't go to the feeder.    There was a robin out in the garden about the same time.    I hope they all don't freeze to death.    We have lots of bluejays, cardinals and nuthatches along with the snowbirds and finches.   It makes quite a show all day long.
 MaryZ,   I was happy to see you posting here.   It's been a long time since our paths crossed and I've wondered about you.   You spoke about John Wayne movies.   I'll have to look one up and watch it.   Al was a great John Wayne fan so I'll think of him and enjoy The Duke!

Jeanne, Gloria and any others in the cold cold places,  stay safe and warm.
Mary C

Lindancer

Good evening, Callie I just looked at Time Square it it was almost deserted and NY harbor from Staten Island

Sue and Fla Jean Ithink I mention I saw a robbin in the back yard eating bread last week. It is going down to 6 to night I sure hope the birds find a warm spot.

MaryZ good to see you post. I plan to watch John Wayne to night, there is going to be two movies in a row. forgot the other one. I will be 95 net month so cannot remember everything :)

JeanneP

Just been in and turned my electric blanket on. Sure glad I have that.  Will go down to 29 below tonight and neve did get up about 4 deg today. So far managing good . long as furnace keep a going. Its sure working hard. My car not moved for 2 week. Same with some others on the street. Next door car frozen up for week also. I do see a few people getting out. Use to be mostly seniors around here but now young. Not seen School buses since last Friday. Lot of churches,libraries etc. staying open.and even the University of Illinois closed down.

Some buses running and they even have a few buses just staying parked with heat on for people  who are waiting at the big pick up areas.
surly cant last much longer. Not has the people who have had flooding and things. We are having a lot of home fires this last 8 days and hard for firmen as the water lines are frozen and so slow getting the working . Most have burned down but no on hurt. Has been 2 people in different fires that did not make it out.
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - Good to hear from you, and know that you are doing okay.  I feel so bad for everyone who is stuck alone, in such incredibly cold weather.

Maryc and Gloria - The same thoughts for both of you, being alone as well. The weather report tonight said there will be one more extreme day, and then it will begin to warm up over the weekend.

Keep us posted on how you are all doing?

SCFSue

Good morning!  It's very chilly here this morning--about 28* I think, although lots of sunshine.  I'd planned to rake up more leaves today to take down to the curb for the trash pick up, but think I'll skip that task today.  Snow had been predicted for late yesterday afternoon, but no white flakes fell from the sky!  I can't say I'm sorry about that.  We spent too many Navy years in Maine and saw plenty of snow then.  My husband was often deployed during stormy weather and driveways had to be shoveled.  By the time the 2 oldest were about 10 years old, we had extra shovels so with the 3 of us shoveling we were able to get our car out of the drive for trips to the grocery store!  We loved Maine, but not the shoveling!

Sue