Random Image

tree

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:12:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Patricia - How quickly we forget!!  I do remember that quake now, but I had forgotten. Magnitude 8.2 would be massive.  I don't like to think about something like that hitting a populated area, but eventually, it will happen, according to the experts. 
Interesting, that Los Gatos, the town where I live, also has a population of 32,000 . . . the last time I checked.  It's considered to be a small foothill community outside of San Jose . . . last stop before heading over the mountains to Santa Cruz.  As you know, Los Gatos, means The Cats, in Spanish.  Named for the wildcats, (cougars), who dwell in the surrounding mountains. 

Joy - Too late for me to record "The Christmas Card" today, but  know it will play again a number of times before Christmas, so I will be able to watch it eventually.  Thanks for reminding me.

angelface555

Marilyne, saying my city is just 32,000 is like dividing a pie into quarters in my opinion. Especially as its all mixed together. However, I guess that's not how "They" figure it. Is Los Gatos similar or distinct? It is a great name and is there still cougars in those hills today?

Here is a Cooking Light link to grocery home delivery services for each of you who uses such a service.

https://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/how-to-get-groceries-delivered-online

Lindancer

Good afternoon.sun is shinning

MarsGal and Joy.I also remember that earthquake from a few years ago it also hit NY. I was at the computer, and it shook, like JOy it took me a second to realize what was happening.  The curtain on the  window next to my desk was moving back and forward. the main thing that happen Taffy my cat jumped up on top of the refrigerator
something she has never done before or since, If there is a thunder store she goes under the bed

What I call the new Hallmark channel (last 6 months) seem to have more social and serious movies,  I like the two original ones, they are light and generally have a good ending. even the mystery ones. They do play there show over and over

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

MarsGal

Larry, from what I understood from a local geologist, it wasn't a fault, but had to do with the rock formations and their ability to carry a wave - or not.

I am not to far off the Appalachian Trail. I wouldn't be surprised it you are too, Lindancer.

Here is a map of the entire Appalachian Range and surrounds. I'm #7 on the chart, Cumberland Valley. The Blue Ridge is just north of me about a mile. Notice that Blue Ridge extends east to the Reading Prong, but there is a break in the mountain just past South Mountain, just above Harrisburg. You can see the break on the map except that the map doesn't show the Blue Ridge extending across the river like it should.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Greatvalley-map.png

Mary Ann

I had a good visit with my friend from Indps.  He had expected to travel earlier in the day but we would have dinner in the evening and he would arrive here about 5:30 pm.  I stood at the door watching for him a few minutes earlier but finally had to sit down where I could see out the door.  And no Jeff!  Finally about 5:45 he called that he had just arrived in town, would freshen up, then call me when he was on his way.  I had given him a couple possible directions, expecting his phone GPS would use one of them but it didn’t â€" it directed him to a main street that comes near here.  I told him when he got to 5-Mile to turn right and at the bottom of the hill to turn left into our complex.  Close to the entrance is the flag pole and I have the left side of a double garage just beyond that.  I had turned off my computer where his phone number was, so I turned it back on and was just writing the number down when he walked in, maybe about 6:30.  He had seen the flag pole but missed the double garage!

We went to the Blue Water Grill, a place where Tom and I occasionally go; it is a bit expensive, but not too much so.  We were seated right away and I got a fish sandwich and he had a burger.  We talked and talked as both of us are talkers.  We decided to have dessert and that almost was my undoing.  I had a Peanut Butter pie with strands of melted chocolate on it.  There also was whipped cream on the plate, but I took very little of that.  The pie was almost too much to have eaten and I was afraid I’d be sick for eating too much, but I was not.  The pie was delicious!

We talked more after we got back here and I showed some pictures I hope to include on a Christmas message.  After Jeff left, I turned on the computer again and did a bit of catching up, then went to bed about 11:30 pm â€" much later than I usually go.

This morning I did not feel like going to church and I also did not want to go to the Cholesterol Pit because I was uncomfortable yet from having eaten too much last night.  In fact, I just had breakfast within the last hour (2-3 pm).  I am feeling much more comfortable now.

I have been watching the Soo and they were having a traffic jam.  Four ships were heading east.  One, Walter  McCarthy Jr, finally got in the lock, stopped, then backed up.  They changed the site to the one I like and I forgot the ship had to be lowered to Lake Huron level.  It took a long time.  They raised the barrier to the near channel and it wasn’t until I was away from the computer and went back that a ship, Algoma Guardian, went through.  In the meantime, another ship, American Century, went in the usual channel and the Edwin Gott is waiting  to go through the channel.  Each ship going east must be lowered to Lake Huron level but before another ship can enter that lock, water must be put back to Lake Superior level.  For ships going west toward Duluth, they have to reverse the procedure and it’s time consuming.  But interesting.

I think the above is enough of my excitement for the day, and it really is not exciting, but it is my activity so far.

Mary Ann

Joy

MaryAnn,  sounds like you had a very nice day with your friend.  You are entitled to over-indulge every once in a while.  Glad that you made out ok with all you had eaten.  Sounds like you did a lot of catching up.  I am sure he enjoyed seeing all the pictures you showed him.  Glad you had a nice evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

I went looking for a similar geographical drawing of the Interior's four main mountain ranges, MarsGal. However, I became stuck on a physical and typographical rendition of the state dating from 1902. What caught my attention was the language, such as "The coastal natives are superior both physically and mentally from the Interior natives." The areas along the S.E. were proclaimed to be advantageous for settlement but in the Interior, Natives were deemed both "coarse and too hostile." I wonder why?

I agree with Joy, MaryAnn. It sounds as if you and Jeff had a really nice visit! And the pie sounds delicious and yes, filling!

Lindancer

Mary Ann, sound like you had a good time. I have yet to see a ship go through. I must be doing something wrong. I only get sight seeing tours to come up

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

Larry,  Oklahoma continues to have smaller quakes here and there - mostly in the central part of the state and just over the border into Kansas.   The OKC area hasn't had one that was widely felt in quite a while.  I'm sure our turn is coming again at some point.

Mary Anne,  I like the Soo Canal cam view now that fewer leaves are on the trees.  Hope they leave it up for the rest of the shipping season.  Lucky you to see so many ships going through.  I don't remember the last time I saw one there.

So glad you and Jeff had a good visit.  I like peanut butter on toast but you may have my portion of the p. butter pie - even with chocolate on it.   ;)

Patricia,  I never felt closed in when we lived in the Colorado mountains but I love the night sky on the wide open spaces of western Oklahoma/the Texas panhandle/northeastern New Mexico.  Used to almost hang my head out the car window when we would get to that area travelling to Amarillo at night.   

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I'm glad you had a good time with your friend Jeff.  It's always fun to spend an occasional evening with someone besides the usual family members . . . gives us a fresh outlook on things.  I've never had peanut butter pie, but it's probably somewhat heavier and richer than most other pies.  I'd love to try it, but I don't think I've ever seen it on a menu, or for sale anywhere that sells pies? 
I haven't looked at any of the webcams in a couple of days. Later on this afternoon, I plan to check them all out, and also look at the Duluth schedule for the coming week.

Gloria - Thanks for mentioning the new Hallmark Channel.  I found it on my listings as well, and plan to take a look and see what the movies are that are playing.

Patricia - Yes, the Santa Cruz mountains and foothills are still home to the cougars/mountain lions.  they are big and they are dangerous!  Mostly interested in killing deer and other wildlife, but will attack a human if they get hungry enough.  I would never be comfortable walking on the hiking trails outside of town, but no one else seems worried about it/  Mountain lions are nocturnal, so are mostly spotted at night.  However, people often see them in trees or lurking around those hiking trails during the daytime. Now that so many people have outdoor cameras that go all night long, it is surprising how many people have seen them on camera.  We also have cameras placed around our house/yard, but have never seen a mountain lion.

Mary Ann

I'm going to put the links for the map of the Soo area and the scene from the restaurant where the camera is located to see the Soo activity.  The map shows activity at the Soo with boats pointing either east or west.  They just changed the location of the camera so we get a different view than what we've had.  There is more activity in the present scene, but not necessarily ships. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-84.334/centery:46.503/zoom:13

http://dev-9and10news.pantheonsite.io/weather/live-skycams/sault-st-marie-cam/

The first link is to the map and the other is the restaurant (Karl's Cusine).  I have learned from where the ships are on the map as to whether or not they'll be in position to appear in the restaurant camera.  I look at the map first.  If there are no ships close to the pink Soo circle (US side) there will be no ships in the picture from the restaurant.  All of the activity shown in on the US side.  The second lock (the one most of the ships use) is the Poe lock and is able to take care of the largest ships.  Plans are to build another lock of at least the same size to accommodate more ships.  Today was the first time I had seen four ships there at the same time.

The peanut butter pie was rich, but not heavy.  They serve it in narrow wedges, like cheesecake pieces.  It could be cheesecake, but they call it pie.  The chocolate is drizzled over the pie so you don't get too much.  I think sometime I'd like to get the pie only, then I could appreciate it and not feel I've had too much to eat. 

Annie was just here to change the cat's litter and to cut my toenails. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Marilyne, a couple of months ago my daughter brought me a piece of peanut butter pie from Whole Foods.  A nice treat but not something I would want very often.

angelface555

Callie, where I live we are surrounded by three sets of foothills and four world-class mountain ranges. You have to be in an airplane to see over the foothills and from my balcony, I can watch clouds and weather maneuver up and over the foothills, then crossing the valley. We are protected by these mountains and foothills from a lot of nasty weather that goes east or west of the valley. I grew up here and its what I know and feel comfortable with. To me, mountains protect.

When I was in Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, etc.; the flat plains made the sky seem to be hovering directly overhead, and I admit my Kansan cousins played up the tornado risk.

My Iowan friend is the opposite, and she doesn't like the mountains nor the fact that if you don't fly, there are only two routes out of this valley and both wind through the lower passes. I have been a passenger as she has during a whiteout in one of those passes.

Mary Ann

It is 8:42 here and at the Soo and there is a ship in the lock being raised to Lake Superior level.  In a few minutes, I expect the level will be reached and the ship will go on its way.  I didn't see another waiting to go through the locks from either direction.

It is dark out at the Soo so you have to know what you are looking for.

Patricia, I have loved the mountains since I first went out west.  I never thought of them being protectors but if I lived in them long enough, I can see that thought.  My feeling about the plains is that the wind blows all of the time.  Living where I do, we have hills and valleys, not as high or low as Alaska, and I feel we live high enough that we should not be affected by floods.  Different terrains mean different things to people, don't they?  Having lived "north" all of my life, I would not be happy in a warmer climate, however, in a colder climate such as you have, I would hope the heater would work, and I'd wear a sweater to keep warm. 

Annie stopped over tonight to cut my toenails and to change the cat litter.  She's a good girl, very loving.  Kendrick is always glad to see her and she's one of the few people from whom he doesn't disappear.

Patricia, the first pie recipe looked a bit heavy for what I had last night.  While I say the pie was rich, it was also light.  I have an idea it was more cheesecake than pie, but they did call it a pie.  The pie did not have any chips in it, nor on it.  And I think no nuts.  It was just delicious!  Drizzling the chocolate over it is what dressed it up instead of nuts or chips or whatever.  Both of those looked good but I'm not about to make them. 

They do make me think of the time I made a Black Bottom Pie and all of the steps it took to complete it.  Today I would not have the patience.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann, I like the latest camera angle on the Soo Cam.  I think it's the original view from back when I first started watching? It's changed twice since then.  The one of the close-up view of the locks was my favorite, but this one is easy to see also.  The last one (one before this) I didn't like as much. 

My favorite Duluth Bridge cam is no longer working for me.  It's the close up of the bridge from the South Pier Inn. When I click on it, the bridge is shown, but it's not live, and it's quite blurry.  See if it looks okay to you?

https://southpierinn.com/webcam/

Vanilla-Jackie

Patricia...
...I love cheesecake and cheesecake loves me  ;) but, I have never ever bought nor tried a peanut butter one...nor have I even heard of it but, it sure looks mouthwatering...
" There is no present like the time "

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the cold and rainy rocky coast of Maine.   

Another dismal day here... 

Peanut Butter Pie/Cheesecake sure sounds
great, but  laden with calories..

I wouldn't buy it but sure would try
it if it was  placed in front of me.!!
Yum yum!!

I hope that everyone has a good day..
Sandy
:thumbup:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Jackie, the pie was delicious and did not have a strong peanut butter taste.  It also was very delicate in color, just a hint of yellow/orange combination.  Such as if you took some peanut butter and added a small amount of milk.  If I had some, I'd be glad to share it with you.

Marilyn, there have been only two Soo views that I know of and I prefer this one because there is more activity.  Your Pier B is not the same one I have.  The closest I have to yours is the Bridge view and that gives a close-up when the ship goes through.  I like the GLA on a clear night because the bridge looks gold in color.  I also like to follow the ships after they come in or when they are entering the harbor when leaving.  Have you caught the Hillside cam when it is moving? 

I think I'm recovered from my late night (for me), overeating Saturday night and I'm ready to be more normal today.  I've had my early breakfast which is a cookie and coffee.  Soon I'll have a breakfast of cereal, which is better for me.  I had Tom get me some skim milk and I have to use it up because he will not drink it!

Marilyn, I went to the Duluth cams and here is my Pier B cam:

http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/pier-b-cam.html

I also went to the Blue Water Grill menu, hoping to get a picture of the Peanut Butter pie, but all that was there was the description.

Sandy, you only get a sliver of a piece of the Peanut Butter pie because it is rich.  You do not get a piece as big as you would with Apple pie, for instance. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is suppose to be sunny here all day and this afternoon will get up to around 71 degrees.  I have a quiet day planned.  I met with a friend here at the house early this morning.  Scott will be over later this morning to put up the curtains and spend some time with us.  Yesterday our Church Service was Children's Sunday from Kindergarten up thru 5th grade.  They did the readings, sang songs and basically conducted the service except our minister gave the sermon.  It was a delightful morning and the children were very impressive.  After Church we went to the Sunshine Grill and split a Club sandwich with a side of potato salad.  The sandwiches are so large that there is too much for one person to eat at one time.  We came home and rested for a couple of hours and then I watched some of the football games.  Scott had planned to come over but called about 5:30 to say he wasn't going to make it so we had an uneventful evening and will be here about 10:30 this morning. 

Patricia, I expect you are not disappointed in the lack of snow as predicted.  I figured you all experienced the earthquakes like they do in the Anchorage area. Thanks to your sharings we are learning a lot more about Alaska, which I find very interesting.  I will take living in a tornado area any day to the earthquakes and the hurricanes.  I guess it is just what we have known all of our lives. Your populations is about 10,000 more than ours but there are many surrounding communities.  We have a facility where they do a lot of atomic work and started as a bomb making facility during WWII.  That contributed a lot to our population.  Your Friendship Day and other events sound like a great experience.  I was shocked when we lived in Anchorage that it was a very metropolitan type of community that didn't let the cold and dark winters interfere.  Things were seldom cancelled because they had very good street equipment, something the South doesn't need often and thus doesn't have. 

Marilyne, I have always found it interesting that the  scale they measure earthquakes with is not just a gradual thing but each higher number is significantly more than the next lowest number.  A occasional bear is probably the most dangerous animals that are seen around here.  There may be other wild animals out in the country area that I haven't heard about. 

Jean, my wife would like peanut butter pie as likes peanut butter but she has never prepared it. 

Jackie, we like cheesecake as well although often it is a chiffon type rather than the real thing. 

Sandy, wish I could share some of our delightful sunshine with you but you can keep the cold and rain. 

deAngel, I expect most everyone remembers the earthquake experience and the feeling of helplessness that we have since there is no warning when it is going to happen.

MarsGal, I don't think we live too far from the Appalachian Trail. One of the men who attends my Sunday School Class has been hiking the Trail for a number of years but the last time he went he slipped and hurt his shoulder.  I haven't asked him whether he plans further hiking there or not.  I think he hikes alone but told me there are many other people hiking so someone will come along to help if needed.  I see from the map you posted that we are in the Appalachian Plateaus.  I learned something for today.

Mary Ann, I am glad you had such a nice time with your friend from Indps.  It was a special occasion and being a little more expensive is appropriate on such occasions.  I hadn't tasted peanut butter pie until last year when someone shared a bite of her piece with me.  I think I will stick with chocolate or lemon or a fruit pie. 

Callie, it doesn't seem fair that you have to deal with tornados and earthquakes and sometime the impact of hurricanes.  We lived close to the North Georgia Mountains and around mountains in Alaska.  I liked both situations but grew up in the rolling hill country of Missouri.   

Sandy

Congratulation
to the Red Sox!
World Series
Champions

― Carl Sagan

SCFSue

Sandy, I was happy for the Red Sox, too!  When I was a young married woman with one child and pregnant with another, another Navy wife and I did things together with our kids.  She had a little boy who was bout 6 months younger than my oldest--and his father (also a Navy pilot) was a Red Sox fan.  Little C.J. could say Red Sox before any other words!  So our son also liked the Red Sox!  I was a Celtics fan, myself, and on our second tour in Brunswick, I would take our boys down to Boston for a Saturday game.  (My hubby was usually in Newfoundland, Spain, or Sicily with his squadron!)  We loved the Navy, but it was tough on Moms who were alone a lot.

Sue

P.S.  I'm voting Blue, too!

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

SCFSue

Sandy, is that Fe?  She sure has grown--and is quite a cute little devil!

Sue

CallieOK

Merry Monday,

I was so wrapped up in college football that I forgot to pay attention to baseball. Congratulations to the Red Sox.
Sue, your baseball "rivalry" sounds like my family.  I'm a second generation Sooner but All My Children went to Oklahoma State.  We have quite a few pictures with one red shirt in a sea of orange.

Mary Anne and other webcam watchers:  I finally got to see the water level lower as a ship went through the Soo Locks.  Amazing how deep it went.
If I could just catch one in the Wisconsin Point cam - I think I'd have 100%.

I really like the streaming Hillside cam.  Gives a wonderful view of the entire area.  Just wish we could see what's around the corner behind the tall tower-looking buildings on the right.  (Look like silos to this farming area watcher  ;)

Larry,  Oklahoma is large enough to experience all those weather events - plus a blizzard - at the same time!

Patricia,   I had a wonderful tour of Alaska in June, 2004.  We cruised from Seattle up the Inside Passage - then went by coach (bus with a bathroom  :) ) to Whitehorse Yukon Territory, via the Alaskan Highway to Fairbanks, and then to Anchorage to fly home.

In Fairbanks, we visited Pioneer Park and had a cruise on the Chena-Tanana rivers - with a stop at the Athabascan village.
I was delighted to learn that the "Father of the Iditarod" was born in Oklahoma - in the town where both my dils grew up.  We rode in a dog sled there although it was on wheels, of course.
Great tour and a lot of the scenery reminded me of the area where we lived in the central Rockies.

Sandy - love your little devil.   

Marilyne

Sandy - Seems like hardly anyone pays attention to the World Series anymore like they used to, back in the day.  Baseball has taken a back seat to football and basketball. :'(
I remember before television, when everyone listened to the World Series on the radio, every year!  My favorite professional team sports are baseball and hockey, so I'm really "out of the loop"!   

Mary Ann - I looked at the your link to the PierB cam, and it's one I've never seen before!  I'll add it to my list.  The link I posted, is from the Pier Point Inn.  The thing I liked about it, is that it was a close-up of the bridge, and you could see the people walking across, and then coming down to the wall to watch the boats.  Also, it could be enlarged full screen.  I'm hoping there is something wrong with the camera at the Inn, and that it will eventually be fixed. 

Supposed to be in the low 70's today, and will be 80 plus degrees on Wednesday!  Halloween is always a nice warm day here.  I'm going to put a big bowl of candy on a table out in front, in case we get any trick-or-treaters.  We leave the "treats" out there for the kids to help themselves, because it's too hard for us to down the flight of stairs, every time the doorbell rings.

Hi Callie - I see we posted at the same time, so I didn't "see you" until now!

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where snow fell overnight. After such a predicted "heavy" snow, it barely covers the walkways, and the grass shows through. I've yet to check the weather in the passes, but, the snow here is unusually filled with moisture such as Saturday's moisture-laden, heavy fog.

Speaking of Alaska's cold, did you know in the S.E. that we have local, not imported palm trees or last winter we were at times warmer than Jacksonville, Florida, Detroit or Marquette in Michigan? You cannot look at a temperature without taking in whether it is a wet or dry temperature. We have four entirely separate geothermal climates in 663,268 square miles. They cannot be said to be identical. Someone told me on the web yesterday that he always thought "you must live underground due to that severe cold!"

Our Interior weather, since 2013 has changed drastically, possibly even since 2004 when we had huge fires. We don't have the cold winters or snow we had before but nor do we have the sustained summer prairie heat we had. In the last four years, we ended a very long drought, turned weather on its head and ended up with rain forest style rain. In no way is this the weather I grew up with or even knew ten years ago.

MaryAnn, I wouldn't want to eat it either as I use peanut butter as a sauce or a dip. I'm glad you and Kendrick have Annie's assistance. I have no idea what a black bottom pie is other than something with molasses?

Sandy, your weather sounds bad similar to the ice and rain we were having. Now its very wet outside with rain and snow on that earlier ice. I have a feeling this winter is going to be interesting for all of us.

Marilyne, I clicked on the cam site you posted, and yes it is blurry for me too. One view was of a bridge and the other of a pond. I didn't see anything I recognized as locks? But I may not know what to look for.

Jackie, I posted that because of the earlier discussion and pie comments. I generally use peanut butter as a savory. Now if you were talking about lemon meringue, I'd be at that table!  ;)

MaryAnn, in your cam view I see what looks like barges in the forefront, a flag waving by what seems to be a crane and hills in the background.  Is the flag and crane by a lock? Again, I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Larry, I'm beginning to see those weather predictions as crying wolf, yet it is an undeniable weather hazard to drive over snow-covered ice, and the moisture in the air is unreal. Saturday's fog was just dripping with humidity. And today's rain is already making me think of an Anchorage summer.

I don't want to be near any tornadoes, or hurricanes, believe me! Earthquakes such as Anchorage has are due to the San Andreas fault running directly under that town. Both times I lived there in the seventies, and again in the eighties, they had bad earthquakes, but the wind was horrendous. One time I was on the eighth floor of a building in an outside hallway and would have been sucked off if there hadn't been a railing to grab! I was literally shaking! In Anchorage, the land is below sea level, on a gravel bed over a major fault. It's pretty land but unstable.

We are like you in that there are many surrounding areas but when you have a military base surrounded by a city, it is literally just a block from where I live; how can you count the population as separate? Or the University campus, again within city limits but separate population wise? It doesn't make sense to me.

In the White Mountains, an hours drive from here, the military in the cold war built an active military missile base inside of the mountains with quarters for high ranking officials during an attack. Then they added nuclear weapons. The base is secret, guarded, and not much information is available, but in an attack, we would undoubtedly be one of the first casualties due to proximity. Your area unless decommissioned may be the same.

Friendship Day is huge, besides the different Native tribes, there are many Europeans here due to the University and the region. The food and crafts are amazing and Alan and Dora purchased a Ukraine wooden interlocking puzzle box and a stained glass window featuring a Russian religious icon. I haven't gone for a number of years because it is always a crush and I always see something I want and can't afford. I'm becoming a hermit. I annually purchased season tickets to the University's different orchestras but this year I did not. When you don't drive, there are simply too many logistics for me these days unless I go with a group.

Larry, my Dad was born and grew up on a farm near Lamar which is close to Joplin Missouri and since he was one of sixteen, I have many relatives there that I no longer know. In the fifties and sixties, we would visit and I enjoyed farm living probably as the only work I did was some fetching and carrying and the "very hard " task of eating all those farm meals!  :thumbup:

My maternal relations in  Kansas and Colorado were all farm people, but again, other than a cousin in Montrose Colorado, I've lost touch. One of my most cherished gifts from her was a CD of various family photos, daguerreotypes, tintypes, and copies of official forms and licenses, of my maternal ancestors going back to the seventeen hundreds. Our shared great uncle was the one who traced the line back to Ireland in the sixteen hundreds and now she has sent everyone copies of this CD. My older sister sent hers, (book and CD); to one of our younger cousins but I have no plans for anything similar.

I've spent an hour on this post between phone calls so I better post it now or it will end up a running commentary! I went to post, and there were six replies ahead of me!  ::)

Mary Ann

Superior
BURNS HARBOR [United States]
Type: Cargo
Year Built: 1980
Draught: 24'
Cargo: with iron ore pellets
Size: 1082' x 112'

ETD Today at 3:00 PM
Heading: 180°
Speed: 0.0 kn
Dist: 0.4 nmi (Departing)

Callie - this is for you.  The time of Departure from Superior says 3 PM CDT.  While that is 4 PM my time, it may be 2 PM your time. But check every so often because they change at the drop of a hat!  One thing I have found, especially with Superior, is that it will say a ship has left at 5 PM and if I am looking at near to 5 PM, even after, I can look at Wisconsin Point cam and if there is no ship in sight, the cam hasn't been shown yet.  Of course, put the cam on full screen and the ship will appear bigger than life.

Marilyn and Sandy, I used to be a big Detroit Tigers baseball fan.  This was in the days of Rudy York, Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer.  I would take a small radio to work so my boss and I could listen to the Series (regardless of the teams) and I had a few extension cords as antenna because the radio would not work in the building.  Eventually salaries went sky high and players looked and acted like bums and I lost interest.  I read the headlines now to see how the Tigers are doing and I know the names of some of the players, but I really don't follow the sport at all.  I used to like hockey and we went to games here but no one now is interested in it.  If someone invited me to go to a game, I would go because I do enjoy watching hockey, but I can't say I'm a fan.  I really have become a fan of golf because the golfers for the most part are gentlemen and they dress neatly.  I heard about a rhubarb between a group of golfers recently, but it wasn't headline news and I probably read about it because I am not a fan of one of the group. 

Marilyn, I went to Pier B, hoping to find a cam but I think I didn't put the right info in because I didn't even get the cam I have.  If you look at the cams listed to the right of the small screen, you will find that Pier B cam I forwarded.  My favorite cam, other than when ships are shown, is the Boat Launch at Two Harbors because it is interesting to watch the men (mostly men) put their boats in the water, drive away, then return to take the boat out on Lake Superior.  Then I like to see the boats return and the men bring trailers to load the boats and use winches to bring the boats on the trailers, then leave.  Other times, cars will drive into the area and go around a circle and leave.  Or people will come in and walk their dogs.  When it's active there, it's active, and other times, there is nothing. 

Time for me to shut up.

Mary Ann

angelface555

More edits,  :-[

Sue, my second husband, was on the Saratoga, based in Florida and spent most of his time in the Mediterranean sea. I was ill, pregnant and he had shore leave in Monaco, poor guy...

Sandy, Fe is so cute and to me looks very like her father!

Callie, one past summer at Alaskaland's Pioneer Park, In 104 plus degrees, I set in a similarly wheeled dogsled, wrapped up in furs just to get a vintage style photo! I was baked and you can see my red cheeks in the picture. It made the artificial snow more realistic!  :)

Mary Ann

Patricia, I don’t know how long I have been posting as a Senior, but I do remember reading about you walking several miles to work in 45-degree temperatures.  That probably was my picture of the entire State of Alaska until you explained the different areas.  I will say that lower Michigan and Upper Michigan are different too, with the UP getting the most snow â€" 300” in some years.

I’ll see if I can find a recipe for Black Bottom Pie as I have forgotten the ingredients and the bottom layer may be chocolate instead of molasses. 

I do not view the Pier B cam often because I like to follow the ships from the Duluth cam, GLA cam, Bayfront, Hillside and Harbor cams.  The Pier B cam is included in the list at the right of the small views so I know it’s there.  The Pier B shown now is not the view I have seen in the past.  I think the view is to the left of the GLA cam view.  And I think the building that looks like two silos is two silos and the motel next to it is named the Silos.  I found this by viewing the Pier B web site. 

Here is a  recipe for Black Bottom Pie.  It is not my recipe because I made it so many years ago (maybe 50+) and who knows where my recipe is.   I had a picture with it but it didn't show up.  Put Black Bottom Pie in a Search and the pictures are all similar.

Mary Ann

Black Bottom Pie
Serves: 2 (9-inch) pies, 6 to 8 slices each
Hands On Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon fine-grain salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 large eggs, separated (see note)
2 cups whole milk
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 prebaked pie crusts or chocolate cookie crusts
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/2 envelopes (about 3 3/4 teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
1/2 teaspoon dark rum or rum-flavored extract
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup heavy cream, well-chilled
Sifted cocoa, grated chocolate or cacao nibs, for garnish
Instructions
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, salt and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Add yolks and whisk well to combine. Slowly whisk in milk and stir to combine. Place over medium-high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a rolling boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.

Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler and cook, stirring occasionally with a dry wooden spoon, until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes.

Once the cornstarch mixture thickens, pour half into the melted chocolate. Stir to combine and add vanilla. Divide mixture between the 2 prepared pie crusts; set aside. This forms the black bottom layer.

Place the water in a liquid measuring cup. Add the gelatin and stir to combine. Add this mixture to the remaining cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Add rum or rum extract and stir to combine. Set aside for 8 to 10 minutes until the mixture just starts to set, or congeal.

Place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. With the machine on medium-high speed, whip the egg whites until foamy. Increase the speed to high, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Slowly, steadily add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Take about 1/3 of the beaten whites and add to the rum-flavored mixture and stir well to combine. Pour that lightened mixture over the whites and fold to combine. Once the mixture is smooth, pour the rum-flavored mixture over the chocolate bottoms in the pie crusts. Refrigerate to set, at least 1 hour.

While the pies are chilling, place a clean mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, making sure the cream and equipment are well-chilled, place the bowl on a mixer fitted with the chilled whisk attachment. Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks. Top the set pies with the whipped cream and serve. Garnish with cocoa, chocolate or cacao nibs, as desired.

Nutrition
Per serving (based on 6): 332 calories (percent of calories from fat, 51), 5 grams protein, 38 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 20 grams fat (7 grams saturated), 71 milligrams cholesterol, 234 milligrams sodium.