Random Image

100_0045.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Diabetes

Started by jane, March 30, 2016, 11:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patricia19

Rick, these might help in your new self cooking attempts.

https://tinyurl.com/ades2u99

RAMMEL

Thanks Pat.
Part of my problem is incentive, ambition, attitude. Plus I'm trying to use up the stuff my wife had in the freezer.

No. 17 looks like something I would enjoy.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

patricia19

In a way, I know what you mean as I often wish I didn't have to scrutinize everything on the labels before using.

#17 does look good. I like to use a scrub brush on some root vegetables, carrots, potatoes beets, onions, sweet potatoes, zucchini, etc you choose. Preheat oven to 450. I will put foil on a sheet pan, place the vegetables on it, sprinkle some salt and pepper, seasonings you might like, and squirt a small amount of oil before roasting for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  It's a quick, easy accompaniment.

RAMMEL

Pat,
In the baking of veggies above, how long do you cook them a 450?  or do you just test periodically?  Years ago my wife's Grandmother was an ace at veggies done that way, and usually with meat. Luckily, I like veggies. Often buy frozen California Blend, which I especially like.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

patricia19

Place the vegetables on it, sprinkle some salt and pepper, seasonings you might like, and squirt a small amount of oil before roasting for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  It's a quick, easy accompaniment.

Skhilled

I love roasted veggies a lot more than steamed or boiled and will make them whenever possible. They are more flavorful especially with the right seasonings and maybe some grated parmesan cheese or a cheese sauce. ;)

When I make tomato soup I usually roast tomatoes, onions, etc. and also make roasted garlic to add into it. 

Amy

I wasn't sure where to post this here or in What's For Dinner. These are all diabetic recipes.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/easy-diabetic-recipes/

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

RAMMEL

Thanks - Will look them over later. I usually look for things with fewer ingredients - sounds easier to me.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

patricia19

In What's for Dinner, I posted a link for several one-pot chicken dinners. They may not all be diabetic but parts of them are customizable.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=213659

Amy

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

RAMMEL

Amy,
I think you already gave me that because it was already stashed away in my Bookmarks. But thanks for it.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Amy

Rick, changed the recipes for you ....new ones I hope :)
Jimmy Dean

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Domestic Goddess

Hello everyone, it wasn't until 7 years and after I had a stroke, that I found out I was Type 2 Diabetic.  My husband makes sure I now eat 3 proper meals a day, plus I exercise 35 to 40 minutes each day as well.   

RAMMEL

Wish I could (would) do those things. Three proper meals, and also exercise. Just never seems to work out that way. Food became an enjoyable thing for me. One of the few fun things left, and now  - it is no good for me. As far as exercise, I just don't seem to have it in me. I know --- excuses, excuses, excuses.
I've been referred to a nutritionist to try to straighten out my bad ways. I am in no way a cook, but I'm the senior cook here. TG for frozen foods.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Phillyfilly

Hello DG and Rammel -  It's been my experience that wishing doesn't do the job.  Good for you DG, lately I have become a wisher too. Last June I was diagnosed with stage 2 diabetes. I have always maintained proper weigh, eating healthy foods along with daily walks and occasional gym workouts; so this was a shock to me! And what a dreadful diet they put me on.  No carbs, no sugars (including fruits), no caffeine. UGH. It was difficult finding things that I enjoyed. When I see people's shopping carts now-a-days, I can't help but notice that people have mostly carbs in their carts! I found it difficult finding foods without added sugar. Hardly a breakfast cereal without it. I do enjoy cereal occasionally. I'm so tired of eggs and Keto products.  Anyone have any good suggestions? There's more to my story though, soon after the diagnoses it was learned that I had a tumor on my pancreas, the big C too. So now, along with the diet and chemo, I have a lot of pills to ingest. I'm easing up on the diabetes diet but try to adhere as best possible. Sure do miss my ice cream and other goodies.
We do what we gottta do....and that includes exercise. Maybe tomorrow  :D

RAMMEL

Phillyfilly, - Late now, and on my way to bed. But I'll be back for a better read tomorrow.  Good to see some new input here.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Phillyfilly - You're right, wishing doesn't help. But if you think about those wishes enough it might help create a goal - I wish, I wish.
"I have always maintained proper weigh, eating healthy foods along with -----".  Recently came to the conclusion that no matter what or how we have lived or taken care of ourselves, our bodies decide how we will go onward. I've been lucky in that I'm still around while most of the people I grew up with have "dropped out".
Those foods and snacks that we liked so much are now forbidden, so the hunt goes on for "replacements".  Oh so hard to find. Locally I (actually my son) find "No sugar added" items. I know, not good, but better than with sugar.
I'm doing insulin so have to keep that balance between too much and too little.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

alpiner1

Our 53 year old son  (  he still lives at home ) is now diabetic after having s mini stroke last year .  I have learned to cook diabetic but could use some help .   Basically dinner is chicken m beef or fish  ,  green salad , vegetables , no salt .  He uses insulin .
My husband & I have been eating pretty much the same food he is .  Son has lost about 90 lbs . 

RAMMEL

Quote from: alpiner1 on March 24, 2024, 05:18:49 PMSon has lost about 90 lbs
That sounds like a good thing. Wish I could lose a bit of mine. Also sounds like he has a good cook/diatician.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Tomereader1

there is a good magazine out and you can usually find one in your Drs. office, free ..."Diabetic Cooking".

RAMMEL

I'll be looking for that. Hope they have some easy (very easy) stuff in it.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK