Random Image

FeFe2

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Old Sayings and Quips From our past

Started by RAMMEL, March 31, 2016, 12:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMMEL

1100 - Don't burn your bridges behind you.
1101 - " go take a running jump..."

I recall something similar to " go take a running jump..." but it won't come to mind at this time. I seem to think it was one of those I shouldn't post here.  I do have a few that shouldn't be posted here (off color or not in good taste) so I keep them separated and at the bottom of my list. Remember, I spent time in the Navy and grew up in a childrens home.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JaneS

I don't remember hearing "running jump" but my cousin often told us girls to "Go take a flying leap".

Like you, Rammel, I've heard a few I won't repeat.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

I should imagine by now we have exhausted our list...doubt if we can come up with any that are not already on our lengthy list...Rammel, I too started life in a children's orphanage..
" There is no present like the time "

Vanilla-Jackie

" Living in cloud cuckoo land.."

Not living in reality if one thinks that " harebrained idea " will happen...

Oh yes, my late parents often believed that place was my home...

RAMMEL

Quote from: JaneS on February 09, 2019, 05:18:00 PMI don't remember hearing "running jump" but my cousin often told us girls to "Go take a flying leap".
The same thing -- more or less. There's a couple of other "versions" to that.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on February 09, 2019, 05:22:29 PM...Rammel, I too started life in a children's orphanage..
I hope the place you stated was as good as where I started. Where I went was a large place with somewhere around 100 kids. Probably about 50/50 boys and girls. No, not all together  ;D  but four large houses for the kids and houseparents. It also was on part of farm area so there was barns and farm animals (cows, chickens, some turkeys, pigs, and misc other in small amounts. As the boys became the right age they did do some of the farm work. During WWII we had a fairly large vegetable garden in which everyone did some weeding. Milking and some slaughtering was left to the pro's. though our regular Saturday job was to pluck chickens that would often be our Sunday dinner.
    We complained then but now I realize and appreciate that it was a good way to grow up.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

I'm amazed that there are over 1100 old sayings.  I know I say I have a saying for every occasion, but I don't have 1100. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

This one is probably on the list already, but I thought I'd mention it, because I notice that I say it a lot!   "I'm beside myself" . . .  with worry, or anger, or concern.   Or you can turn it around and say, I was "beside myself" with happiness or laughter.  I recall that my mother said it when she was annoyed or upset about something, or when she was talking about someone else. She was just "beside herself" with anger, about something or other.   It's a weird saying, because how can you be "beside yourself"!! ??? ha ha!

The one I mentioned once before that always puzzled me, and still does, is,  "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".   I understand what it means, but it still makes no sense.

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...I cant answer that question as it was during my first 18 or 24 months of my life, I just know where the orphanage was...It was during the time it took my natural birth father to legally adopt me, he was already married to " my mother " who couldn't have children...I know, sounds complicated but these strange things happened 60 plus years ago....
...Same as I have a cousin who's mother is her sister and her grandma is her mother...Her father was my fathers brother, my uncle but they never got married...There was such a stigma in those days...

Marilyne...I too remember that one..." beside herself..." or  " beside myself..."

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on February 10, 2019, 03:45:52 PMThe one I mentioned once before that always puzzled me, and still does, is,  "Never look a gift horse in the mouth".   I understand what it means, but it still makes no sens
If you were going to buy a horse you might look into it's mouth, check it's teeth - probably an indicator of the horse's health and care.  But if someone gave you a horse you should accept the gift without challenge.  Such as --- if your child gave you an old 78 record, would you check it to be sure it wasn't scratched, or just gratefully accept it?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

Jackie,
My stay was from about 5or6 to 18 yrs of age. I don't recall ever asking others about why they were there --- nor did the others.

After reading your post I thought this link might be interesting (for everyone).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXU-ZdmzNmo
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

No 4 and 229 are the same so I am vacating #229.
I have a few numbers that have been vacated due to duplication so now I plan to use those numbers for any new entries that might come up.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...
...I do vaguely remember that song and guess like others, could never fully understand it, a bit gobbledegook to me... ;D

I had an uncle and an aunt living together who produced three children, older cousins than me... it was only later I found out they weren't actually married to each other but, were " cousins. "....I always wondered why they had separate surnames...

Staying on the subject of Idioms and sayings...

Who remembers parents saying?

" Hes got bigger fish to fry..."

In other words, more important things to do...

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JaneS

I just want to comment on being "beside oneself"  I was a very curious youngster and if something puzzled me. I asked questions.  I remember my grandmother using that expression and after about the third time, I said, "Gramma, how can you be beside yourself".  She said, "Oh, I can't really.  But I'm mad enough to be two people".  It satisfied a curious 7 or 8 year old and maybe it'll d0 the same for some old folks.

RAMMEL

Quote from: RAMMEL on February 12, 2019, 12:30:23 AM188 - I have bigger fish to fry.
Quote from: JaneS on February 12, 2019, 11:39:31 AMI just want to comment on being "beside oneself"  I was a very curious youngster and if something puzzled me. I asked questions.  I remember my grandmother using that expression and after about the third time, I said, "Gramma, how can you be beside yourself".  She said, "Oh, I can't really.  But I'm mad enough to be two people".  It satisfied a curious 7 or 8 year old and maybe it'll d0 the same for some old folks.
Sounds good to me. I tend to forget, but try to remember, that different spoken words mean different things to different people.  (I think that's what I meant to say).
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

" cant see past the end of their nose..."

and ...

" to cut off your nose to spite your face..."

I am sure many are aware of these two..

RAMMEL

Two new ones -
1100 - " cant see past the end of their nose..."
1101 - " to cut off your nose to spite your face..."
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...you mean I have actually found a couple that we dont already have, hallelujah...

RAMMEL

Jackie, --- You were trying too hard. When they're ready they just come  :2funny:
I've thought of some during the day as I'm doing things around here but by the time I go on line I've lost (forgot) them  :'(
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Rammel...write them down on a piece of paper as you remember them, then save them for later... then forget where you put that piece of paper, or forget you wrote something down on a piece of paper to save for later, this usually works for me... :idiot2:

so_P_bubble

Marilyne

Jackie
Or even worse, you find the piece of paper at some later date, and you have no idea why you wrote it down, or what the message refers to? :-[

JaneS

Vanilla-Jackie

Been where, done what, can I come too?

JaneS

Wrote notes and lost them.  Believe me, Jackie, you don't want to go there or do that!

Vanilla-Jackie

Well I have been round the bend and up the wall, and been there and back just to see how far it is...guess going anywhere else wont make any difference.....

RAMMEL

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on February 18, 2019, 02:05:50 AMRammel...write them down on a piece of paper as you remember them, then save them for later... then forget where you put that piece of paper, or forget you wrote something down on a piece of paper to save for later, this usually works for me... :idiot2:
The first part usually works on me  ???
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

I am leaving all my money to dogs charities or the RSPCA...

" when I pop my clogs..."