Random Image

Ray Franz

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe for January 15, 2019

Started by so_P_bubble, January 14, 2019, 10:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneS

The furnace guy just called and asked if it would be OK if he showed up a little early today.  He'd finished the job he was working in a town about 45 minutes away and would stop for some lunch on the way here and be here by noon.  I told him I'm ready and he can come any time.  I guess I better go out and move the car out before he gets here so he can get his tools in.

I'll check back later.  Stay WARM and DRY!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Well, right now I can spit enough nails to build us all a house!! Mail came and I got a jury duty notice...AGAIN!! :tickedoff: This will be the third one.,Once I sat on jury for 12 days, that meant driving to and from the city each day a two hour drive each way. The next one the case was settled just before they picked the jury and now this!!Can't they pick on someone else??? I know it is my civic duty and if I didn't have so much on my plate I would go .no problem...BUT..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

OUCH!  I must have caught one of those nails!  Seems like you might be a good candidate to be excused.  You have someone to care for at home.  Could you ask someone that question?  Who would take Kyle to his appointments if you're not available?

The furnace/AC guy was here and there is nothing to be done until Spring when they can get under the house.  He thinks either the in or out vent on the AC might be drooping a bit and that's letting cold air into the back part of the house.  But the inlet door for under the house is frozen shut and even if he could get it open, it's probably wet and freezing under there and also, he's the wrong size and age for crawling under a house.  So we have it set up for Spring and hopefully it will be a drier Spring than last year.  I have a good selection of sweat shirts and flannel pajamas and I've lived through some winters already in the cold so I'll live through another one.  What could be next?

Maybe that nail I felt was me spitting nails!  It sure beats crying.  It's wet enough around here!  Maybe I'll just move to Texas!  I guess I'd never see any of my old GS friends if I did that, thought!

I think I'll take a nap!

MaryTX

Amy, does your city or county have exclusions for jury duty?  Here in Texas, if you are 70 or over, are a caregiver of a disabled person, have children under 5, are disabled or a couple of other exclusions are reasons you can ask to be excluded.  I have done my civic duty several times over the years but there is a limit.  The last time I went, they had called 150 people and only 50 bothered to even show up.  I can't believe 100 people had valid reasons to get out of it ::).

Jane, I hope you can pile on enough sweats and flannel PJs to make it through the winter!  We're holding our breath that our heat pump will hold up until summer.  Last summer, the A/C portion went out.  He was able to patch it together to last the season, and then the heat part went out during our first cold snap.  Luckily, it was just a burnt wire that time!  Our house is 25 years old and it's the original.
Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Lloyd Hammond

Amy tell them you are predigest that should do the trick. I know you wont though you are to soft hearted.

Lloyd

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  I just now have the opportunity to post.  I am too tired to write anymore this evening.

Shirley

Jane, when we had a house without basement we had a pipe that kept freezing & no way to get under to fix, BUT there was an outside vent that had a metal flapper that could be opened to air... know what I mean?  I "happened to have" some carpet pieces left over, cut them a little bigger than the openings & went around the house & wedged them into those openings. NO MORE pipes froze after that. Had to take them out the rest of the year but were life savers for below freezing, especially with wind blowing. My husband had poo-pooed my idea & surprised when it worked. Hope you find a cure.

Amy, I've only been called for jury duty one time in my life & had volunteered many times when my working kids were called, but they wouldn't accept substitutes. My case was settled before going to trial but we sat there for days while one after another was called & grilled by the lawyers. Was funny when the judge asked this room full of "Bubbas" in their plaid shirts & bib overalls if "anyone had ever used a gun?"  Would you believe this old gray haired lady was the only one to admit it?  I thought you were supposed to tell the truth!! Even the judge laughed as well as the rest of the room. You do have a valid excuse with needing to be there to take care if needed (talking about the pup, of course) plus the extra driving during winter. You shouldn't feel at all guilty with opting out on this one, you really are needed by your family.

Larry, I am sorry that you are so tired and concerned the news was not what you hoped for. My thoughts & prayers are with you tonight.

MaryTX, my house was built in the "mid-60s", we've been here for 30 years & had to replace everything except all the bathroom fixtures... and I need to adopt a plumber now! I don't want to remodel, just replace the commodes & faucets in tubs & wash basins... & that is a big job. You know how any replacement goes, will need new flooring, etc. I was hoping it would all work until I'm ready to leave & sell "as is".... it is the labor that costs most & someone handy, like my husband (with my help) fixed everything so will be a bargain for the right person. There isn't another house in this city I would rather live in so not ready to give up yet.

I'm on the computer "wired" to the modem in the basement so not going to doing much computing until my son has time to take care of the security system he put in many years ago. He thinks it needs updating completely & will have to unlink the old XP & Vista computers as they won't handle the wi-fi updates. I can deal with that (be a pain ........BUT) Other son was here last night & installed the DVD player so I can watch those movies my daughter brought me. Life is complicated sometimes.

Hugs & prayers for all.... love ya.  Shirley

Amy

Love this warmer weather! They do say that more snow is on the way in the next few days though.

Larry, hope you get a good nights sleep......prayers your way......take care.

Mary TX, I will check into it and see what can be done..

Lloyd, I am just going to say put em in jail and throw away the key :))

Shirley, any other time I wouldn't mind doing this but gosh, I have enough to do at the moment. Being in March one never knows what the weather will be like. Time will tell..... :)

Good night everyone..sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs  bite!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

June Drabek

I'm Here in Spirit,but body is not willing to chit-hat. Still trying to get rid of this pneumonia. It leaves me feeling pretty tired, so I just curl up and read or listen to the junk on t.v. This too will pass, and I should be thankful I am in no pair...just sooooooo tired. HUGS, LOVE AND PRAYERS..June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

June Drabek

As long as we are here, let's dance.

JaneS

I'll be off to Dreamland soon, too.  I didn't get my nap this afternoon and just as I was drifting off after supper, Annie moved over by the door and started whining.  When I didn't pay attention, she decided to bark and that got me up.  Never went back to sleep. 

I keep forgetting to tell you, I bought "One Special Night" a couple Christmases ago and I've watched it several times since.  I love it!  If you haven't seen it, get it!

I wish you all good night and may God bless us, every one!

Shirley

Haha, June, I think we all read what others think & skim right over a typo. Sorry you are feeling so sluggish but maybe the meds do that to make you rest more?  Prayers that you are better tomorrow & every day after.

Jane, I've played that DVD my daughter sent me 3 times before seeing the end again. I saw it years ago & mentioned to her that I'd love to see it again. She has a copy & first offered to bring it & I would send it back with her. But she knows when I'm in a campground I often go to sleep & have to watch several time before seeing one all the way through.... I was really happy when #2 son got the player set up & I actually remembered how to operate both remotes today. I think I paid about $35 for the player at Walmart this week so money well spent. I don't go to movies or eat expensive meals out... 

Fitbit tells me I got 4 hours & 24 min sleep last night. I tried to nap this afternoon & got 2 robo calls just minutes apart. Guess whoever is blocking those robo calls can't nail this one that insists "I've wanted information about back or knee braces, etc." and I scream into the phone "bull s**t", something I never said aloud my whole life but those calls are turning me into a nut case.

Amy, we really are over the hump for winter, still more to come but can have off & on warmer temps, too. I am worried the trees & bushes that had big buds already will not get another chance this year, but my tiger lilies that have their noses out of the ground have done this before & survived. I do wish we would get one snow deep enough to ride my sno-nut down the hill, next winter I may be too old....maybe, never know.

I'd better get ready for bed, cats had their midnight snack twice... they act like they are starved all the time. Sweet dreams to all.

Denver

Just wanted to say a quick HELLO tonight and tell you all that I hope those of you who are under the weather feel much better tomorrow. 

We were up quite early this morning as our Boston DIL came by to pick up her car so she could drive to Vail to get the kitchen set up after the remodel they have just finished.  It started snowing and she had quite the time getting here and then had to do,the drive to Vail. 

I am headed off to bed but did want to stop in to see how everything is going.

LLOYD, I am so sorry to read about the bull that you lost.....that is awful. 

Pleasant dreams to all,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

so_P_bubble

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Woke up to light snow falling. We are off to the city for an appointment for hubby this morning, one that we had cancelled at the beginning of the week due to the frigid weather.   Meeting up with our friends and exchange parcels. She has one of scrap material for me and I have a bag stuffed with coffee cup sleeves for her. She takes the sleeves apart and puts glue and coloured feathers on it ,then rolls them back up to use as cat toys for the humane society that her daughter works for. She is doing some with red feathers for Valentines day .

June, rest is the best medicine as you know. Pneumonia  knocks the stuffing right out of you. My friend just just the ok that her lungs are now clear from the pneumonia she had. I wish she would get the shot for it but she said no.

Gloria, we had 8 inches of new snow then rain so that and the existing snow depth is down to about 12 inches I would say. The pup thinks it is great walking on top of the crust till he falls through.

Jane, would banking up the snow around your home help stop the cold from coming in?

Shirley, they say we are to spend over 400.00 more for groceries this year, sure hope there is no crop failures or we would be spending a lot more!
We have snow deep enough for that and hills to give you the ride of your life too!!

Better go get ready and make sure everything is in the vehicle, now that there is another body that needs water and food.

Have a great day everyone..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Evryfriend!  I don't have much time before the boinger for feeding the doggies goes off but I wanted to put in an appearance.

AMY, thanks for the suggestion about snow banks but there's not enough snow on the ground to do that and the vent leaks are under the floor.  He can't tell if they are under the storage room floor or the bedroom floor without being able to get the access panel off.  It's not really as bad as I made it sound.  I keep those doors closed during the day and I open my bedroom door about an hour before I'm ready to go to bed and it's not really that bad for sleeping.  I grew up sleeping in a room that had been added on to the original house and it was never really warm in there so I'm kind of used to it. I'll survive another winter.

I have a whiner behind my chair so I guess I better see about feeding us ll.  Enjoy your day everyfrend.  Make it your own in every way.

Joy

Good morning.   A pretty sunny morning, but still very cold. But, at least, the sun is shining.

Jane, I agree with you about the movie "One Special Night".   It is one of the best movies I have ever seen, and one of the kind that you can watch over and over.  I can't believe that I had never heard of it before and it had come out in 1999.  I can watch it on Amazon, and it is on YouTube, also. 

I am glad to see more postings this morning.  Yesterday was really slow.

They are painting the walls in our building and yesterday, they started up here on my floor.  Hoping that I can still get into the laundry room later.

I need to get some breakfast and then I will check back.  Sure hope we hear some good news from Larry.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Gloria

Good morning everyone, what a miserable day here yesterday. We had 24 hours of rain, pouring rain, had 2+1/2 inches if it and strong wind to go with it. Most of the snow we had is gone except the piles from the plow. A lot of branches down and some trees, too. Was still windy after the rain stopped and where pavement didn't dry is black ice now. On 2 different highways where the roads were patched and frozen the rain pulled it out and at least 30 people ended with blowouts hitting the potholes. The state will have to pay to have tires and even some rims replaced.

JOY  I stay inside most of the winter anymore. No more appointments in the winter months.

AMY you are your husband's caregiver, can you be excused for that? My daughter took care of her FIL and was excused for that. I spent a winter in Maine one year with my niece and her husband. We drove around a lot on weekends and I noticed the snow around the bottom of houses. Finally I asked why and was told it helped keep the house warmer in the winter months.

Have a good day. Hope I can warm up today.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

Sunny morning here but downright cold again.  Yesterday we were in the 60's but this morning it was 28 when I got up.  You don't know how to dress or heat the house or anything with this up-'n-down weather.  But, quit complaining, phyllis, it could be worse.

Wish everyone here could feel good and not have any problems to deal with. I'm concerned about Larry and June.  Hope we hear soon that they are feeling better.

Amy, you are your husband's caregiver so I would think that you might be excused from jury duty.  I used to think that I was on someone's hit list because I was called so often but now I'm permanently exempt because of age.  There are SOME perks to getting older.

Jane, hope your vent problem can be solved soon.  I, too, grew up in a house that had heating in only the dining room and kitchen.  We had lots of quilts and comforters for the beds and each of us carried a hot brick up to the beds to keep our feet warm.  That worked until you jammed your foot against that hard, cold brick during the night!  We all survived and maybe were healthier because we weren't sleeping in overheated bedrooms. 

Jenny, sorry it was such a difficult trip for your DIL.  When we lived in Colorado we thought long and hard before we drove up into the mountains.  Never knew when a storm would come and close you in.

Breakfast is calling.  Make it a good day.
phyllis
Cary,NC

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We have a beautiful sunny morning and it is to be partly cloudy the rest of the day but no rain in the forecast.  My cardiologist thinks I am suffering from severe dehydration probably caused the the higher dosage of Entresto that I have been taking for several weeks.  So she cut it back to 1/4th of what I was taking.  I have to go back for a series of blood tests Monday or Tuesday and then again in 7 days.  She also took me off of the Digoxin that I started a few weeks ago and changed the diuretic and told me not to take the statin drug  unless my diastolic pressure is 63 or above.  It was 40 in the right arm yesterday and 41 in the left arm when the nurse took it yesterday.  I finally got a fairly good nights sleep last night after having a cup of Camomile Tea around midnight. I had been getting very little sleep for the last few days.   I am having trouble concentrating and it took me better than an hour to remove medicine certain medicine from my pill boxes and get the right dosage in replacement.  The doctor told me not to expect immediate recovery.  She wants me to limit my fluid intake to no more than 1 1/2 liters of liquid a day due to the kidney disease.  I have read all of the postings but don't have the energy to try to make replies to the good posting.

Joy

Larry, so glad to see your message.  It does sound encouraging. Like your doctor told you, it will take a little bit of time, so just rest and let things begin to work in your favor.  Sending lots of good healing thoughts your way !

Nice to come in here and see the message from Larry.

Continue to enjoy the day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Shirley

Larry, glad the problems seem to have solutions. Not easy to record every ounce of liquid "that goes over the lips & past the gums, look out tummy, here it comes"..... but Cas got an empty jug, at one time gallon milk but also used a 2 liter one, measured the amount of liquid allowed with magic marker  (using measuring cup)... and every drink he had he would put that amount in the jug. At end of day if he needed to drink more he guzzled. I certainly understand about a fuzzy brain with lack of sleep... that's why I started wearing a Fitbit. I knew that was my biggest problem & still is. Lately I've let too many issues of the day keep me awake.  Take care and hope you feel stronger soon. Still wish you'd keep a tub of raisins handy to munch, can't hurt!

Day is slipping away fast, my trip to the store will be put off until tomorrow, I guess.

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  I was totally tired when I got home and I've done absolutely nothing since I walked in the door except to take care of the doggies. 

My friend Mavis, is picking me up around 6:30 to go to a "Ladies Night Out" at her church.  They have these about every two months and I really enjoy going with her.  They have a movie, eats and games during intermission.  A very nice bunch of ladies attend and they really make me feel welcome. 

The doggies ate early and they'll have time to go out twice before I leave.

LARRY, it's so good to hear from you and it sounds like you have something to attend to.  Do what you must, let us know when it's working and take care of yourself. 

The new brackets for my drawers arrived today and I think they'll work. Now if I could just find a longer pair of arms so I could attach them and give them a try, I'd be a happy camper.  It's almost impossible to stretch to the back of the cupboard, hold a flashlight, insert the screw in the proper hole and tighten it.  I wonder if there are any elves available.  I'm thinking....

Right now, I have to go let the doggies in...

Lindancer

Hi! just in to say prays to all my friends who are having problems, I also will write more later.  I am very tired, but I guess a good tired. I was expecting company Sat. but at noon, my friend showed up bring KFC and desert  I just had to make coffee and clean the table off and set it for lunch. which zI had plan to do Sat.  While we are eating another friend came in with another cake.  a half hour later the man across the street came over with a plate of pulled pork for my dinner. WE did a lot of talking, Now you understand why am tired.  More company then I have had in a week

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Shirley

Hey, Jane, Google camping headlight, look at styles & prices then go in the sporting part of YOUR store & get one. They are life savers when doing those kind of jobs. Granted, they don't extend arms, but have a feeling if your son shows up with longer arms he will be grateful to use the light! Glad they are the right parts!

Boy, Gloria de.... that's more friends than I see in a year!  Good friends, too. Not your birthday, is it? 
Better get busy, not sure what time IF my son can get by but want to be ready. Love ya all..........

JaneS

I've been thinking about getting myself one of those "headlights".  I have lots of places where it would come in handy.  Only I thought I'd have to get a miner's hat until you all started talking about them.

However, the space is so small that I don't think wearing that on my head would do any good.  Most of my head from th eyebrows up is above the opening.  My son is currently out of the country and won't be back until Sunday night.  If and when he can get over here, he has a flexible work lite that he can put inside the cupboard.  I wish I had that...and his long arms!

Amy

Our trip to the city was uneventful but the drive home was no fun. White outs in  some areas but we are home safe and sound. We found out the in the fall, hubby can get new hearing aids....that will be nice!!  I don't know if his hearing is diminishing or it is the hearing aids. We do have some fun conversations  though. I may say one thing and he thinks I have said something totally different. Good for a laugh though.

I stopped and picked up 2 bags of chicken breasts for a friend and two hams for the neighbour . Plus some nice onions and parsnips for us.

Shirly ,we also had what is called  snake light, I found this handy but you do need  something to wrap it on.

Larry, just take it easy and we will pray that you have results soon. 

Phyliss and Gloria, I hope that they will let me off for being the caregiver.

Tired tonight and will hit the bed early as we are to get more snow in the next few days.

Jane, enjoy your evening out.

Jimmy Dean

Shirley

Jane, ask the MAN (unless the woman working is a camper) in sporting goods to let you see what the headlight does. Mine came from Walmart (first one) & can tip it & not the head to shine where you want. I bought another on Amazon "lightning deal" for less than $10 that also works nice. When in the RV in CO I find them very useful, besides doing repairs around the house. I have my own tools to work with.  :thumbup:

Amy, we used to have a snake light but haven't seen it in years. Wonder what happened to it?? Since we always fixed everything ourselves & built a house from scratch, not many tools we haven't had over the years. I am not as strong NOR as smart as Cas was or my father was & now Andy, so a few regrets that I didn't learn more somewhere along the line.

Andy was here while ago, we went to the basement where the HP was plugged direct into the modem, he unplugged & it was on the internet...wi-fi!  Since the others were all working, the one had an off/on switch by the lip & had been turned off some time, no clue when or how. Right now all are connected & working. He did (with my okay) removed a lot of extra stuff that was running on the really slow one, but we are thinking the app for iTunes is what slowed it down when that was installed. Daughter put it on because I had bought some music CDs & it said I could download them to other devices. She was determined to download to my iPod...and DID. Not that I ever use it.  :-[   I don't need to be plugged into something all the time.

Sweet dreams to all & prayers for everyone. Shirley

Amy

Good morning everyone.

We had a light dusting of snow and expect more today and Sunday. - 6° F out there this morning .

Laundry today and might try the yogurt in the instant pot , depending on my time.

Shirley, my Dad taught me a lot and now being married to a carpenter I have gleaned more knowledge. When Kyle first got RA, it was really bad without meds. We put in a higher toilet for him. He wanted to call a plumber but I said no, he knew how to do it,just couldn't physically. Told him he could be boss (just for that moment) and I would install the toilet. I did  and leaks either!!! My favorite job is siding, flooring hardwood or laminate flooring. Decks are another that I enjoy.

Better get ready for the day, don't think laundry with be hung out though..

Enjoy your day everyone
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

I'm up and attem early today.  Cathy and I are heading for the Amish store to be there around 8.  Yesterday and today they have everything except milk at a 20% discount.  The store will be packed but the bargains will be great

I'm off to get dressed and then feed the doggies and wait for my ride.  I wish I could take all of you with me.

The movie last night was very good and so was the food, fun and company.  I had a good time.  Enjoy your day today.  Grab it and make it your own in very way.  Feel better, stay warm, enjoy the snow from inside and don't do anything you don't feel like doing.