Random Image

Ophelia

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:19:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of April 3

Started by JoanFL, April 03, 2016, 04:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla-Jackie

Not much took place today....We did all venture in the car to a local eatery called The Smuglers Inn only I only got close to the car park...the steepness was too much for me as my top of leg has been coming alive of late, I can only describe as other MS'ers refer to it as like electric shock, turning into a spasm which is hindering my walking....so it was taking a few photos and back home again, guess a 5 minute outing.....The place was teeming with a mixture of hikers, many young that arrived in a college bus....

Not long ago I took a phonecall from our local MS centre, not a therapy centre but a once a month or so meeting place which they meet up late in the evening. A very nice elderly sounding man spoke to me, said the lady who should have phoned me had passed away two weeks ago, said she was a lovely lady in her 50s who had MS but had succumbed once again to breast cancer which he said was very aggressive, very sad indeed...Anyway seems the next meeting is being held next Tuesday, a man is coming in to talk on barn owls....Told me he will be there with his wife, we will be looking out for each other....Said there is usually around 30 people attending of mixed ages, there will be cup of teas on the go....I thought a good chance to get feedback from members as to other MS organisations....

Link to today's eatery that I got so near yet so far away......Link...

http://photopeach.com/album/wk1t1h
" There is no present like the time "

JoanFL

Janie--That is GOOD news that you can get rid of the chunky shoe and that your healing is on schedule.  You know what?  Folks won't even look at your feet so if you have to wear the crocs to be comfortable, do it. Hopefully you had time to catch a few zzz's.

Jackie--It sure was nice of that man to call you to tell you about next Tuesday's meeting.  It's good to interact with folks who have the same malady as you do.  Thanks for the link.  Too bad you couldn't make it inside the Eatery.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JeanneP

Jackie.  I Think I can remember the area you have moved to.  Bournemouth close I believe. My Grandmother moved down to settle there when my Grandfather passed.  Finely had to move back up into Lancashire as she aged.
Last time I was there was with my girls. Leased a house for a month and they hated to leave.

LIke  areas like Bournemouth people tell me that it has  changed some.  People started taking holiday in such a Spain and places like that.  Making some in UK be full of young people. I was shocked a few years ago. (3) Went to a favourite beach area in Wales. Crowded with young people going wild. It was a weekend.

Sounds good that you are already finding places to get health help. Joining a group will be good for you. I attended on here with a friend who has MS.  So surprised to see young people with it. Some just teens.

did all your unpacking get done?
JeanneP

Kelly

Hi JeanneP
I have been to Bournemouth, as well as Frinton and Clacton.  The latter has a working pier and is quite busy in the summer.  But all seaside places have changed since the 1970's.

Places in the UK cannot compete with places like the Canary Islsnds, Malta and part of Spain. And the weather is a big factor as well.

That is why the Isle of Man has very little holidaymakers compared to its heyday.  But it does not even have the facilities it had years ago!

Kelly

JoanFL

JeanneP--Interesting how things change almost all over.

Hi Kelly.

June Drabek

I have a nice spic n' span apartment. It never gets really dirty..I do so little cooking, and I keep that area clean as I go along. We are having some nice cool mist floating down from the skies but not the rain we expected..maybe tomorrow will bring in more.

Bis, I thought your former cleaners had already left. I do hope you can get another good pair like you have had.

Janie, congratulations in getting your foot out of the clunker. As Bis said, at a wedding no one is going to be looking at your feet. Men don't look at anything, except the faces of people they know, and women look at the dresses and hair arrangements. So you just go in comfort, and have a fun time.

I should be doing my grocery shopping on line. I am down to the nitty-gritty of supplies, but I dread any kind of shopping really. I need to order some summer slacks too, and keep putting that off. I get lazier by the minute. So I will quit delaying and get myself in gear.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Carol

Stopping in to check the posts - we seem to be too involved in things anymore or perhaps it just takes a lot more time to finish our days. 

Jane:  Don't worry about your shoes as most people will not notice.  The important thing is to have your foot heal.  One year, Don and I were expected at a top meeting and even flew to the place - I had a full neck brace on & felt so stupid - but someone came up and told me they had a brace earlier in the year so they knew how I felt.  It was much more noticeable than your shoes can ever be for a short time too.   :thumbup: Listen to Joan!

Kelly

Gloria

Mr Art R Itis is not happy. 2 days of rain has him acting up. At least today's rain was not steady all day.

JOAN  I always enjoy your “stuff” so why not let you know I do? Want you to know I appreciate all you do to find every thing you post in the mornings.

MOLLY  on local news this evening they had something from local apple growers worried about their trees from this last freeze/ They are wondering if they will have a crop. My son did not have much of a crop last year and if he has none this year he just might start cutting the trees down. It is a lot of work and expense and not having any apples hurts the farmers.

CALLIE  the maintenance
man's wife used to hang humming bird feeders in the front and we all enjoyed watching them. Last year she didn't and we wondered why. The do have a lot of flowers in front and the hummers enjoy that in the evenings.

JUNE  2 more dentist appointments?  Looks like you will be getting your teeth in tip top condition.

AMY  I have seen something similar to that Marrow squash but never knew what it was so never bought it.

KELLY  Fastry Mie. I have had a lazy day today. 2 gloomy days of rain took all my “get up and go” away.

JEANNE  you are one up on me, I never beard of vegetable marrow till Amy mentioned it.

JANE  glad you can finally wear normal shoes that match?

JACKIE  that hill I would have avoided, too.

KELLY  your IOM sounds like a peaceful place to live. I never really longed to travel out of the USA. Pictures of New Zealand had me thinking I would like to visit there, Scotland too. Now I would add IOM to that list.

CAROL  like you I get to talking with others down stairs and time gets away from me. As long as I get back here and on Skype at 5PM to talk to my daughter time never seems to matter to me anymore.

Have a good night everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

mycheal

Kelly he has to be Irish then if stalled by the Potatos :)

June you sound much better today thus keep the night safe and wake to a Sizzling Satuday :)

Mycheal

JaneS

Thanks for your advice about the shoes and the wedding.  My wedding shoes are a bit stretchy so maybe I'll be able to get into them.  My daughter says the ones I bought in the mens dept at Payless are pretty nice.  They are a type of clog that have lace style adjustments and an adjustable strap around the back of the foot.  I can definitely wear them to work but they would look pretty clashy with my dress.  I know, no one will be looking at me but I have to do one of the readings and I'll have to walk up to the front.  I hope than when I'm finished, they are saying, "she read that very well" and not "did you SEE her shoes?"

I know it's early but I'm off to Dreamland.  I'm all in but my shoestrings and they're comin' in fast.  I've taken two naps and I'm still tired.

I wish you all a very good night, a peaceful rest and a tomorrow full of whatever you wish for.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

June Drabek

Gloria, It may be more than two more appts. I have four small cavities, but the main thing is the tooth where the filling fell out. I am hoping they can do a root canal and build up what is left of the tooth. Ordinarily it would be pulled out, but I do not want to go through that. I am on a blood thinner which causes a lot of bleeding, and with this PAD, an exterior sore takes forever to heal, so I worry about how long healing would take inside my mouth. Whatever will be will be. I feel like you do about "time". If I lay awake, I read, if I forget to send out a greeting card, I just apologize and don't beat myself up over it. Every day is a gift and we take it gratefully, right ?

Mycheal, thank you my friend. I had a very good day today. Even got all my grocery shopping done and it will be delivered to my door tomorrow. Thank you for you kind thoughts. My older son son called me today and walked my through installing an anti-virus called Avant. It took time as I am a slow thinker, but it is installed. I just remember…he said to restart my computer, and I forgot, so I'll do it now.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Sun

Sure hard to hunt  and peck…left hand worse, …bout tro call it quits on keyboards.   Ouch…!

All that talk about Liver and  onions…yummm, yum.  I love them.   But I like most everything, should be big as the side of a house, as we used to say.

June -  About the Med-alert necklace.  I worry about the privacy factor, How does that fit into the picture??   Seems like a problem when used at home.

Why did the avatars get so small...you can barely see them. 

Sounds like several of you are feeling pretty perky…good for you.      Maybe it’s springtime in the air.

Sun

Kelly

Hi Gloria
I have only been to Scotland once, nice place to live and holiday in.

And New Zealand a must place to take a holiday, but then so is the Isle of Man.

Oh I nearly forgot!

Moghrey Mie

Kelly

Kelly

Hi mycheal
Still trying to work out the,  'Kelly he had then to be Irish if stalled by the potatoes'

Could you explain it to me please?

Kelly

JoanFL

Good Saturday morning, Everyfriend.   There's blueberry strudel to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

You’re Not a Kid Anymore When……..

You consider coffee one of the most important things in life.

You quit trying to hold in your stomach, no matter who walks into the room.

You enjoy watching the news.

The phone rings and you hope it's not for you.

The only reason you're still awake at 4 am is indigestion.

People ask what color your hair USED to be.

You're proud of your lawnmower.

Your best friend is dating someone half their age AND isn't breaking any laws.

You start singing along with the elevator music.

You really do want a new washing machine for your birthday.

Your car has four doors.

You routinely check the oil in your car.

You've owned clothes so long that they've come back into style TWICE.

You no longer think of speed limits as a challenge.

7 AM is your idea of "sleeping in."

You don't remember when you got that mole...or the one next to it.

You write thank you notes without being told.

Neighbors borrow your tools.

- according to Jeff Foxworthy

Food For Thought

Should I Go To Church?
(Based on a manuscript by Benjamin H. Spalink. Scripture quoted is from the NIV.)

I was confident that nowhere in the Bible did it say I should go to church.

But then I read Ephesians 4:11-13:

"It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ."

Then I wondered: If Christ gave pastors and teachers to prepare me for works of service, shouldn't I use them?

Then I read Hebrews 10:24-25:

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

And I realized that being together with other Christians is how God intends to encourage me to do what is right.

Then I read Romans 10:13b-17:

"...'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.' How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!' But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, 'Lord, who has believed our message?' Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ."

And I knew that Jesus sent these pastors and teachers to build my faith.

Then I read Matthew 16:18:

"'And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.'"

And I discovered that Jesus built the church, owns it, and protects it.

Then I read Matthew 18:20:

"'For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.'"

And I found that when His followers gather to worship Him, He joins them.

Then I read Luke 4:16a:

"He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom."

And I discovered that Jesus himself was in the habit of attending church.

Then I read Luke 22:19:

"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.'"

And I found out that Jesus told us to use the Lord's Supper to help us remember that He died for our sins. If I stay away from church, I am also staying away from the Lord's Supper.

I was convinced, but I wondered how I could convince my friends - I knew what they would say about going to church: "If Jesus owns the church, why can't they agree? Why so many denominations?" I searched for some answers to their objections and found this in 1 Corinthians 13:12:

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

And I knew that our inability to see Christ's work clearly was the reason for all these denominations. Some lean on one part of the Bible and others lean on another. I also told my friends that what really counts is what you do with Jesus.

But I knew that my friends were really disgusted with how some of the "regular" church members behaved. I didn't have a good answer, because I also was hurt by things other members did. But then I read Ephesians 4:32:

"Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

And I knew that forgiveness was so important to Jesus that He once told his followers that if they refused to forgive others, then they would not be forgiven either. (Matthew 6:14-15)

Another of my friends said to me: "I don't need others to have a relationship with God. I can be a Christian by myself."

So I showed him what the Bible said in various parts of 1 Corinthians 12:

"Now the body is not made up of one part but of many...The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I don't need you!'...there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other...Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."

Their final objection was the biggest: "We are too busy - Sunday is the only chance we have to relax and enjoy ourselves." I recognized it as a big issue because I felt this way myself at times.

Then I remembered what Jesus said about priorities:

"...others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful." (Mark 4:18b-19)

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matthew 6:33)

See you in church!

Thought of the Day

"If you don't learn how to submit to earthly authority, you will not ever submit to God."

- Joyce Meyer

:smitten:

Kelly

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  And a special "good morning" to you, Joanie.  Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf.  If I don't say that often, please know that I thank you in my heart every morning.

It's cold here this morning and we are supposed to have snow showers most of the day.  I hope it's not too bad because I was going to make a trip to the Amish store (10 miles away).  I'm out of two very crucial items that I always get there....Coffee and dog treats.  Right this minute I'm drinking my last cup of coffee.

SUN before I forget, I saw a tv commercial for a voice activated key board.  I think our very own Kelly uses one.  Maybe you could look into that.  We sure don't want to lose you because of a bad hand. 

I'm off to check into some other things before I feed the doggies and maybe eat something myself.  I hope you all get to do exactly as you wish today. 

Post...Hi Kelly

Kelly

Hi JaneS
I don't use a voice activated keyboard, but voice recognition software installed on my computer.

I speak it types and it is something I would recommend to anyone with hand problems.

I can speak type as quick as quick as I could type when I could keyboard type.

Kelly

Gloria

Good morning everyone Imagine me here this early for a change. Fell asleep fast last night and woke more than an hour ago. I like this better that waking at 8 or later.

JANE  if anyone looks at those clogs, if you have to wear them, they will think oh my she has bad/sore feet. When My son and DIL took me to my grandson's wedding my DIL got a cute pair of cheap shoes. At the church they stated hurting. Stopped at the house and she changed to more comfortable shoes that didn't hurt. Don't think anyone noticed. The shoes the groom's men wore with their tux were square toes. Hurt my other grandson's feet so he brought other shoes with him and after the pictures were taken he changed them.

JUNE  what ever the dentist decides to do good luck. I know the dentist I have now I would trust with whatever she thinks needs doing. Wish I had found someone like her when I was much younger.

SUN  with all these April showers (pouring rain) this ole gal is far from perky. When do you see a doctor about your hand?

KELLY  Moghrey Mie. I have been out of the US twice. Once into Mexico when visiting my daughter and one into Canada just over the border in Maine. I rather be an armchair traveler, sitting here at the computer and traveling the world. I really am a homebody.

JOAN  I will enjoy the blueberry strudel this morning. I think the sun will be shining today. When I pulled up the shades and looked out I could see it shining on the tops of the trees to the west of me. After 2 days of rain it will be much appreciated. Great chuckles and I had some good ones reading them. I know a few that today's Food for Thought would make them think. I will be sending this on. Thank you for today's goodies.

JANE  Yesterday forecast was for chance of snow here today. I sure hope not. We need some dry sunny days for awhile.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Tis a tad chilly here but I am sure it will warm up some..temp is -15C at the moment. Will get the laundry hung out in a bit. Need to make a pot of soup so it can simmer away on the back of the stove while I do the laundry.

Gloria, I am ready for no snow and warm weather here..

Jane, your feet are important ...between now and the wedding you just may come across a comfy suitable shoes, if not wear your clogs....maybe find a piece of fabric to match your dress and glue it to your clogs..???

Good morning Kelly.

Joan,thank you for breakfast

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Kelly.

Janie--Good morning.  Thanks for your appreciation.  I sure hope the snow doesn't amount to much more than a few flakes.

Good morning,  Gloria.  It's nice to see you here so early.  The sun is trying to peek out here presently.  My housekeepers come later this morning, so I have some picking up to do.

Amy--Good morning.  It always smells so good in the house when you have soup simmering on the stove.

JaneS

Gloria, the next time snow is predicted for your area, I would appreciate it if you would keep it there and not push it south so I get it. 

It's beginning to lay on the road so I think I'll ditch on the Amish store and just make a quick run to WM.  That's 5 minutes away and I can just get some coffee and doggie treats and then go to the Amish store on Monday....maybe.  Regardless of what transpires, I think I'll go get dressed...just in case....

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Amy, that is a good idea about the fabric on the shoes.

I came fully awake this morning and couldn't take my time waking up, so the coffee is on and will get the paper in a minute.  Anyone who wants to join me for coffee and a quick peek at the paper is welcome.  We can watch the sun come up.

Joanie, hope you had a good night. As usual you beat everyone up and had breakfast all ready for us.  Thank you so much.

Janie, snow, snow go away and come again another day (next year).  Be careful when you go out and don't slip down.

Watching the weather on TV I see a lot of you in the East have got a lot of bad weather forecast, including Georgia, Augusta where the Masters is being played, suppose to be freezing there.  So much for global warming.

Off to get that coffee.

JoanFL

Janie--Seems as if by now the snow should take a vacation.:)

Good morning, halkel.  I'll join you in watching the sun come up.

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.
I do not type or spell very well.so when i get enough $$$$ i should look into one of what you  have kelly.
dose it spell properly? sun is shinning here,did not get quite as cold last night as weather gusser said it was. Have a great dayeveryone.

Sun take care of your hand and just take you time with the good behaved one. we all love you.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

Bis I took a pill for pain last night. it did not fix the pain but made me sleep in this AM Nancy had to call me at 7:30 AM to tell me Biscuits and gravy was ready.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  Nice you could sleep in today.

Mary Ann

June, I recently had a tooth removed.  I also am on a blood thinner and when I made the appointment, the dentist was concerned, but then she told me that with only one tooth, there usually was no problem.  I think she did not even call my cardiologist's office.  I did have an oral surgeon remove the tooth and I am fortunate there has been no problem.  I don't think I have a preference between taking out the tooth or a root canal.  Both are "serious".

Gloria, I realized I had been out of the US several times.  Living close to Canada, I have gone there by way of Windsor and the Soo.  I went to Guatemala once, to England once and a trip to Denmark and Germany.  I wouldn't say I am a seasoned traveler, but I'm glad I've had the opportunities I've had.  I have not been in all 50 states, but probably 25 to 30 states.

At 6:30 am we had 21 degrees.  I did not look out the window then but discovered later that we had snow overnight.  The sun is shining now and we're at 25 degrees; maybe the sun will melt the snow so there will be room for more early in the week!  I think it is ridiculous, snow in April, but I am sure it has happened before and will happen again.

Mary Ann

JaneS

Mary Ann, with our all girl Stamm trip to the Grand Canyon and Arizona last year, I've now been in 49 states.  Alaska is at the top of my Bucket List but I've just about given that up.  I'm still dreaming and hoping but I think my travelling days are getting shorter and shorter.