Random Image

horizon.jpg

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallieOK

Wouldn't you know?  THREE e-books on hold appeared in my library loan bookshelf this week!!!!

Looks as if there may be quite a few "one more chapter..." nights coming up.  Oh well,  I don't really need to get up on a time schedule.  Family will gather at #1 son's house on Christmas Day and all I've been assigned is Cornbread Dressing.

I finished "Before We Were Yours" just before the news ones arrived.  I liked it although I skipped a lot of the descriptions of cruelty the children suffered while in the Tennessee Children's Home. 
Finished David Baldacci's "Christmas Train" last night (yes, one of "those" nights  :) ).  Still deciding what I think about that one.  Some things that happened in locations I'm familiar with just weren't quite plausible.
Haven't been watching the Hallmark movies but will now start checking to see if - by chance - it's going to be on.

Marilyne

Callie, I also have a stack waiting for me at the library, but I doubt that I get to any of them before Christmas.  Our oldest daughter and granddaughter, will be here on Saturday, so that will end my reading/relaxation, until after Christmas. I still have to get two more presents, but I'm hoping to take care of that problem tomorrow. I'm still a little stressed about the food situation, but things will work out, as they always do. ::)

Once again, I want to recommend Elizabeth Berg's latest book, Night of Miracles. Perfect for this season of the year, even though it isn't a Christmas book.  It's a story that will leave you feeling good.  One of the main characters is an 87 year old woman, named Lucille, who was also featured in Berg's book, The Story of Arthur Truluv.  I liked that book okay, but I like Night of Miracles, much better.

JeanneP, Callie and Mary - I think you would all like "Miracles"!  MarsGal, I know it isn't your style of book, but for a change of pace, you might like it?

CallieOK

I just put "Night of Miracles" on Hold.  There are 7 copies and 7 people ahead of me on the Wait List.  Wanna bet I'll get it about next Monday?    ::)

Marilyne

Today - December 21, is the Winter Solstice - The shortest day of the year.  Lots of legends and myths about this day, but I thought this one was the most interesting, because it ties the Solstice to Christmas.

Winter Solstice

The Winter Solstice is a magical season . . . one that marks the journey from this year to the next, journeys of the spirit from one world to the next, and the magic of birth, death, and rebirth. The longest night of the year, (December 21 in the Northern hemisphere), is reborn as the start of the solar year and accompanied by festivals of light to mark the rebirth of the Sun. In ancient Europe, this night of darkness grew from the myths of the Norse goddess Frigga who sat at her spinning wheel weaving the fates, and the celebration was called Yule, from the Norse word Jul, meaning wheel. The Christmas wreath, a symbol adapted from  Frigga's "Wheel of Fate", reminds us of the cycle of the seasons and the continuity of life.

That the timing of the Christian celebration of the birth of Christ occurs in the Yule season, is no coincidence. Christmas was once a movable feast, celebrated many different times during the year. The decision to establish December 25, as the "official" date of Christ's birth was made by Pope Julius I, in the fourth century AD. He was hoping to replace the pagan celebration with the Christian one, since this date coincided with the pagan celebrations of Winter Solstice with the Return of the Sun Gods occurring throughout the world.

JeanneP

Yes, I changed it to that  size but I think will now go down one.  It is so small when typing but so large when it shows up after posting. Actually I like it large.
Having problems with eyes at the moment.
JeanneP

maryc

MERRY CHRISTMAS READERS!!  I hope your stockings are stuffed with those titles you've been waiting to get.
   Thanks Marilyne for the good comments about the winter solstice.   I thought about it last week when we were in the midst of moving Debby.  The days will start to be longer soon.
     I just finished a book called Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright.  I recommend it for a quick and comfortable Christmas read.
     I'll be going out to the 11 o'clock service at our church soon.  It will be Celtic music tonight and should be an interesting service.   Tomorrow Debby and I will go to our son and daughter in laws home for Christmas dinner and a four generation gathering.  
Mary C

SCFSue

Merry Christmas, fellow readers!  I hope everyone here has a lovely Christmas with friends and family.

SCFSue

Marilyne

Merry Christmas to all my faithful book loving friends.  I'm pleased that so many of you are still here, posting in the Library Bookshelf, after so many years!   There are always books to read, to recommend, and to talk about, and I hope that we continue on here in this discussion, as long as we remain in Seniors and Friends. :)

Once again I read, and enjoyed, A Redbird Christmas by Fanny Flagg. It's such a sweet and comforting story, full of the kind of people and friends that you wish lived in your town. Everyone is generous, thoughtful and kind, which would be a wonderful thing to find in today's world . . . not only at Christmas time, but all year long. 

The story made me think about all the other books by Fanny Flagg, that I
I've read and enjoyed.  I'm planning to read many of them again - starting at the beginning, with Fried Green Tomotoes, then pick and choose some of my favorites, like Standing in the Rainbow, and The Whole Town's Talking.  Many others as well.  It will be a pleasant way to start the New Year!
[/color]

Here's my favorite Christmas song of recent years:

Christmas Bells

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song

Till, ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The Carols drowned

And in despair I bowed my head;
'There is no peace on earth,' I said;
'For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!'

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

maryc

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day is my all-time favorite Christmas songs.  It is timeless.  During the days leading up to Christmas I've had the Mormon Tabernacle Choir playing on my Pandora.  They have sung some carols that were unfamiliar to me but that I've enjoyed a lot.  One is a Welch carol called Suo Gan.  It is a lovely lullaby.
Mary C

maryc

Mary C

SCFSue

My voice is not what it once was, but I enjoyed singing "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" while sitting here at my computer.  It has been a favorite since I was a young girl in Junior choirs.  Thank you for posting it!

Sue

maryc

I picked up Night of Miracles yesterday and am well into it.   It is a good and easy read.....just my style!! :)
Mary C

Marilyne

Mary - I'm glad that you're enjoying Night of Miracles. I had a feeling that you'd like it. Elizabeth Berg's books are always filled with people that I can relate to, and this is no exception. Her stories leave you feeling good, and hopeful.

For Christmas, my dil gave me Anne Tyler's latest book, Clock Dance.  So far I like it a lot. Tyler's characters tend to be a bit more complicated than Berg's, but just as interesting and likable.

Mary - I just realized that I never commented on the lovely Welsh lullaby, Suo-Gan, that you posted a couple of days ago. The photos of the children were beautiful. The sleeping babies brought back memories ... good memories of so long ago.

maryc

Just finished Night of Miracles.  I couldn't stop reading it and didn't want it to end.  There are so many directions she could keep this group of characters going in future books.  One thing I liked in particular was a few comments she made here and there that really spoke to me.

Yesterday I went to the library to browse and brought another book by Elizabeth Strout. The title is Anything is Possible.  We'll see about that.  Another selection was just at random,a book called Kitchens of the Great Midwest by J Ryan Stradal.  I've heard nothing about him or the book, it just caught my interest.

I've read a few of Anne Tyler's books but not that one Marilyn.
Mary C

Tomereader1

Happy Hogmanay!  And, Happy New Year to All.  MaryC, I truly hope this year will prove to be better for folk like you and me.  Marilyne, thanks for all your good wishes along the way.  I may have to find that book "A Night of Miracles", sounds wonderful!

Marilyne

Tome - Good to see you back with us. I was afraid that you had deserted us - no thanks to this the new set-up here at S&F! It takes some getting used, but eventually we adjust!

Mary - So glad you liked Night of Miracles, as much as I did.  I could relate to Lucille, in many ways . . . but the one that really made me smile, was her love of aprons! My mother was never in the kitchen without an apron, and was always insisting that I should be wearing one.  I resisted! However, when I was about sixty, I found one of her old ones packed away, and I started wearing it.  This led to me buying a few home made aprons at craft fairs and boutiques . . . and now I have about seven of them. I now love aprons, and can hardly prepare a meal without putting one on!   

Tome and Mary - This has been a sad year for both of you. I can imagine that Christmas, must have been an especially hard time for you.  I hope you will both slowly begin to feel better in the New Year.   

maryc

Happy Hogmanay to you as well Tomereader and all here who observe the Scottish tradition.  My late mother and father in-law having come from Aberdeen often  reminisced about the New Years celebrations over there. I think you will like Night of Miracles T.R.   It has some very good comments sprinkled throughout that make you think of a good marriage and life and death and how we fit into the scheme of things.  I do enjoy that in a book.  I too hope that the coming year is peaceful and healthy for all of us.   I've been reading through my journal this evening and have had a tear and a smile at various happenings.   The 12 months flew by didn't they?   One thing that brought a smile is this.   In July we had a Celebration of Life for my husband.   He had wished a while back for a disco ball to hang in our summer room.  Our summer room is just our garage that we have screened and furnished like a enclosed porch.    He had a CD player with some of his favorites and TV etc. out there.  When we met at the roller rink back in 1949 they had a large disco ball that was lighted for certain skate dances.   He never forgot how nice that was and thought it would be fun to have one.   A year or so ago Debby found one at Party City and got it for his birthday.   It hung up in the ceiling with the tiny white lights.   He called them his "mood lights" ;D   It was our family joke.   Well when we had the tent set up in the yard for his Celebration, everyone thought that the disco ball should be there for him.    A couple young men friends who came up from PA for the event went right to work and strung the power up and the disco ball high in the tent.   When I read that in my journal today I had a little chuckle and texted them to thank them once more.  These kinds of memories are a great comfort to me.
   Marilyne,  I had to smile about Lucille and her aprons also.   I noticed when we were packing up Debby for her move that she had several aprons that had been made for her by my mom and another older friend of hers.   She doesn't wear them except when she works at the church kitchen.   I use to make them myself but when I went to work outside the home,  I didn't have time for doing those things.   About that time we also had Girl and Boy Scout involvement and all those hobbies kind of fell by the wayside. :(   I still have pieces of fabric stashed away for such things and now with the New Year it is time to get back to sorting and tossing stuff that I probably will never use again.
Mary C

FlaJean

Yesterday we had to go to Cox Cable in Destin to replace our TV remote so stopped by B&N bookstore in the same shopping center.  It was good to see so many people browsing.  I found two hardback Donna Leon 2014 and 2015 Guido Brunetti series at $6.98 each.  I love her books and at that price it made my day.  (It doesn't take much to make my day anymore 😁)

phyllis

I am a huge fan of Commissario Guido Brunetti, too.  Love her descriptions of Venice.
phyllis
Cary,NC

MarsGal

:hb3: Tomereader!

and a Very Happy New Year to all!

maryc

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TOMEREADER!!!   Sorry to have missed the date but hope your day was pleasant. 

I picked up a book at the library a few days ago by Elizabeth Strout.   This book is Anything is Possible.  After I started it, I realized that I had already read it but decided to go ahead and read it again.   It is worthy of a second read.   I did take back The Great Kitchens of the Midwest or whatever the proper name of it was.    I couldn't stand the filthy language! :tickedoff: My belief is that a writer that is any good could tell a  story using good and proper English.

FlaJean,  Your trip to B&N sounded like fun.  It's been a long time since I  spent time in that store.
Mary C

MarsGal

Now reading the fourth of the Expanse series books and White Rose, Black Forest by Eoin Dempsey. It is pretty good so far.

Marilyne

Mary - When you mentioned Elizabeth Strout a couple of days ago, I knew her name sounded familiar, so I looked her up, and see that she was the author of Olive Kitteridge.  I really liked that book, and I especially liked the HBO movie, starring Frances McDormand, and Richard Jenkins.  I think I might have read Anything is Possible, but not sure?  If I did, it must not have made as big an impression on me as "Olive" did?

I just finished a wonderful book that my dil gave me for Christmas . . .Clock Dance, by Anne Tyler. I recommend this book to everyone who comes into this folder! She's one of my favorite writers, and I have yet to be disappointed in any of her books. Her last book, was, A Spool of Blue Thread, which I loved.  Also, Dinner At the Homesick Restaurant, was wonderful.  Clock Dance, is excellent, with characters that you all will like, and a great story. :thumbup:

Tome!  Belated Happy Birthday, from me too!  I'm already getting behind in the New Year, and it's only the 3rd of January!

MarsGal - White Rose, Black Forest, is an intriguing title. I remember when you mentioned the author a while back.  That first name is certainly different.

Hi Phyllis!  Good to have you back with us in Library~Bookshelf!  Let us know what you've been reading, and also visit the Television folder and tell us about your favorite shows.  If I remember correctly, I think we had similar tastes . . . both liking HBO, Netflix and Amazon? 

CallieOK

I've been house-bound by cold and now icy/snowy weather so have just about read through all the e-books on my Loan and Wish List.

Just finished "Crazy Rich Asians" - a fun light read about a society of billionaires who discover theirs isn't the only way to live.

I didn't realize it's #1 of a trilogy.  The next two continue the stories of two characters in the first one.  Haven't seen the movie and don't know if it combines the three stories.
Also realized I'd been thinking of the title incorrectly.  I'd been thinking "Crazy.....Rich Asians" (as in rich Asians who are crazy".  It's actually "Crazy Rich.....Asians" (as in Asians who are 'crazy rich'.)

The author's notes indicate he grew up in this type of Society but no longer lives that way.

Now reading "Home Safe" by Elizabeth Berg.  Fortunately, just as I was getting a bit annoyed with the "poor me" attitude of the suddenly widowed main character, the story begins to take a more positive turn.  I'm pretty sure I know how it will turn out - but I'll enjoy seeing how the author gets there.

Next up is another book in the Molly Murphy mystery series by Rhys Bowen.

After several days of temperatures near or below freezing, we're supposed to be in the 60's all next week. 
Guess I'd better read fast.  ;)

Marilyne

Callie - I got a big kick out of Crazy Rich Asians, and the intense focus on MONEY in those countries that were featured. Of course I don't know if it's true that wealthy families in Singapore, Hong Kong and parts of China, actually live like that, or if the book was supposed to be a farce? I remember reading the author's notes, that indicted the lifestyle depicted was a true picture of how he was raised.  Still it's hard to believe? Whether based on truth or strictly fiction - it was highly entertaining! ;D

Home Safe, is one of the few Elizabeth Berg books that I haven't read, but I would like to read it.  I also have a few Anne Tyler books on my list that I haven't read yet.  Interesting that Tyler, tends to write family stories, where the mother tends to be mentally unstable, whereas Berg writes family stories here the father is cold and stern, or absent completely. I know that Berg was raised in a military family, so it could be that she is writing from experience in some of her books?  I don't know about Anne Tyler's family?? Berg's recent books have gone off in another direction, and now feature warm and likable characters, and a predictable ending. (Arthur Truluv and Night of Miracles.)

maryc

Callie,   The cold and frosty weather you spoke of has reach us here in the N.E.   This morning the weather people on the radio said it was 14 deg. at 6AM but felt like 1.   I can vouch for that.   When Debby and I went out at 10:30 to deliver meals it was very very cold.   It called for all the extra layers one could put together.   We noticed that when we were at a house facing south and the sun was out, it seemed a bit milder but you wouldn't want to waste any time out there.  I'm reading another book from Deb's bookshelf called The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacqueline Mitchard.   This is an older book (1996) and I think I tried to read it once before but gave it up.   It was a slow starter.  Ms. Mitchard is one for many details and for me that really bogs me down.   Anyway I have gotten caught up in the story and will finish this time.   Meanwhile I did get a copy of Home Safe from the library and will get to that.   Berg's books are pretty quick reads so I likely will read that along with the other.   For those of you who are in this deep freeze area.....stay warm and safe.   The icy driveways and walks are treacherous!
Mary C

Tomereader1

Marilyne, is there still a Movies/TV board on here?  Haven't seen it, or can't figure out how to get to it.  Help me out here!!

Marilyne

Hi Tome - Yes, there is still a Television folder, which also includes Movies.  Originally it was called Television & Movies - Old and New.  I think it was after the last big S&F site crash a couple of years ago, that it got shortened to Television Today?  Anyway, besides television, it includes movies old and new.  Hope to hear from you soon!
https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=15.1380

Marilyne

Remember a month or so ago, when we were talking about celebrity memoirs or autobiographies"?   I just finished reading another good one . . .  In Pieces, by Sally Field.  As with most other memoirs of famous people, the picture you have in your head about the person, is never what she or he, is actually like.

Like so many female movie stars, she had a very unusual childhood.  I won't spoil it for any of you who plan to read the book, but will just say that there are some incidents that might surprise you. Many female celebrities seem to be able to rise above their past, and continue on to become show business icons.  They have a never-ending drive to succeed, that most of us can't relate to.   

I really liked this memoir, and would definitely recommend it.  After I finished it a couple of nights ago,  I couldn't get the ending out of my mind, and found myself lying in bed thinking about it.  The next day, I read the ending over again, because it was so well written and said a lot about Sally Field.

CallieOK

I'm on the waiting list for "In Pieces" and will be interested in reading it.

Right now,  I have two books "up" on my library loans because I'm going to a Book Discussion Club this week.
The book being discussed is "Hillbilly Elegy" and the other one is "What You Are Getting Wrong About Appalachia".
The first one is a memoir of the author's family branch who moved north from Appalachia to work in factories.  He is highly educated and only visited his relatives in Appalachia.  The other one is mostly a rebuttal, as well as the author's take based on her experiences.  She received her education while living in Appalachia (doctorate), moved away and then moved back.
I've read both but wanted to review them.  I may take my Tablet to the meeting for reference - and will be very interested in hearing what this particular group has to say about "Hillbilly Elegy".

Am also reading the last one in Rhys Bowen's "Molly Murphy" series and getting ready to begin Elizabeth Berg's "Tapestry of Fortunes".

(Why are you on the computer, Callie?  Get busy!!!!  ;D )