Random Image

Brynn's wedding

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:29:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFSue

This is for Callie:  There is a sequel to Me Before You written by Jo Jo Moyes.  It was published last year or the year before.  It is about what happened to the young woman who was the assistant to the young man who went to Europe and committed suicide.  The title is Me After You.  The man had left his estate to her and she moved to Europe later and it's about her trying to adjust to the results of his suicide.  It was published about 2 years ago I think.  I read it when it came out.

Sue

maryc

The title The Big Oyster made me think of Edward Rutherford's New York the novel. I enjoyed that so much.  As soon as I can locate The Big Oyster I'll like that I'm sure.  Even though I've lived in NY state all my life I've only been to NYC once on a short tour.  The Big city has a certain fascination and the history even more so.

I just finished a very short book of Mary Higgins Clark.  She grew up in the Bronx who had her early education under the supervision of the Nuns. 

Before that I had two books by Ann Tyler.  Vinegar Girl was a short and different story.  A Spool of Blue Thread was the second.  I think I've read that before but read it through anyway.  Lots of food for thought in that story especially for older people.  I've said it before here and I'll say it again....I really need to clear out more of my "stuff".
Mary C

Marilyne

mary - I've enjoyed all the books I've read by Anne Tyler, except for one . . . Vinegar Girl!  I didn't really care for it, and ended up by not finishing it.  I knew up front that it was based on, "The Taming of the Shrew", which I like, but somehow, it just didn't work for me. :-\  I did like A Spool of Blue Thread, very much!  I think it's my favorite of all of Tyler's books.   Another Tyler book that I liked a lot, is Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. I think you would enjoy that one also. 

Today I finished reading, The Magic of Ordinary Days, by Ann Howard Creel. It was a very good story, that held my interest from beginning to end.  Now I'm anxious to watch the movie, and hope that it's playing on one of my many movie channels. 

Callie - I think you'll also like it.  It takes place in Colorado, during The War years. The writing style reminds me a lot of Kent Haruf, and the setting is the same.

MarsGal

I am getting ready to read Murder on the Orient Express. I have seen several TV movie versions, but never actually read the book. All the Poirot I've read were esenntially short stories/novellas.

maryc

Marsgal, It would be fun to read Murder on the Orient Express years after the movie.
I see now that I neglected to say that the Mary Higgins Clark book I mentioned earlier was her memoir...another picked from Debby's library!😊
Marilyn, I did The Magic of Ordinary Days in reverse order.  I watched the movie and now will read the book.  I too thought Vinegar Girl left us hanging at the end.  In Mary Higgins Clark book she talked of an teacher she had a long the way who used this suggestion for writing.  Ask yourself two questions,'Suppose?' and 'What if?' A and turn that situation into fiction.  Perhaps that how writers springboard from a single story to a series.  I felt a little the same at the end of A Spool of Blue Thread about Denny's life. I did read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.  These storys about families and the situations between children and parents leave me feeling can little sad and wondering how we might have done differently with our own.  I watched a movie this week that was an interesting family situation.  The title was Sister Cities.  It had a surprise an a kind of unbelievable ending.
Mary C

CallieOK

Marilyne,  "Me After You" was waiting on my Loan list for me to finish "Two By Two" by Nicholas Sparks.  TBT was the story of a single Dad from his viewpoint and I thought it was very good.

Also have Book #3 in the "Crazy Rich Asians" series waiting.  I think it arrived before Book #2 but I was so far down the list for both that I'll read it anyway.

I'll look for "The Magic of Ordinary Days" .  Thanks for the suggestion.  Will also look for the movie.

Weather is sunny and not too cold today so I need to get to the grocery store before the next Wintery Mix moves in.  Then I'll settle in (again!) to hibernate (again!).

FlaJean

Donna Leon has a new Commissiario Guido Brunetti book in March "Unto Us a Son is Given".

Tony Hillerman's daughter, Anne Hillerman, published her 4th(?) book which is due out in April.  I purchased her first 3 books on my IPad Kindle app.  They are just as good as her Dad's book and I have enjoyed each one.

MarsGal

I am almost done with a cozy mystery called If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop series) by Robin Allen. I like it. I noticed that it also comes in large print, but you may have to click on her name to get her Amazon page to find it. It looks like she has four in the series and then stopped. After a break of about four years, her latest book, not part of the series, is listed by Amazon as a  "Magical Fantasy". 

Marilyne

Jean - Thanks for reminding me of Tony Hillerman.  I read a couple of his Navajo Mystery's, a number of years ago, and really enjoyed them.  I'd like to read more of those, and I think my husband would like them too. Are his daughter's novels similar to his as to theme or style?  I might take a look at her website, and find out a little bit about her.

Mars Gal - The Poppy Markham series sounds good.  I may give those a look, when I finish the Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery, that I have checked out.  It's called The Scottie Barked at Midnight, and so far I like it the best of all the Scottish Mystery cozy's that I've read so far.

I want to recommend The Magic of Ordinary Days, again, to anyone who might be looking for a good book to read. I'm not sure why I liked it more than other novels that I've read recently?  It's a familiar theme that's been done a lot,  but for some reason I found myself thinking about it for a long time after I finished it.  I decided to order the book from Amazon, to give to either my dil or to my daughter, for birthdays coming up soon.

FlaJean

Anne Hillerman writes with many of the same characters.  Tony Hillerman got awards for writing so authentically about the "Four Corner" area and the reservations, and his daughter writes in that same vein.  I noticed that I bought all four of her books on my Kindle app and it is the 5th one due out in April.  I do prefer a "real" book, but I often get Amazon gift coupons and usually use them to buy Kindle books.

In every place we have ever lived, the first place I visit (after the grocery store) is the local library.  We have a very nice, tho small, library here.  I think a lot of older people like cozy mysteries because they do have a good selection in regular and large print.  I do want to buy McCabe's new book that came out on Tuesday.  I've heard him discussing his book on several shows.  He worked on the Boston Marathon bombing case and I heard that he has a section of his book on that.  Although the news only covers parts about Trump, I believe the book covers much more of his life in the FBI.

CallieOK

I finished "Me After You" and am now reading "Still Me" - the sequel to the sequel :) .  Author notes say this is the last one about Louisa and I agree that it's time to wind up her story.

Also finished "Night of Miracles" by Elizabeth Berg, in which Arthur Truluv is mentioned.  I'd read that one but decided to re-read because I've forgotten the details.  It's on my Loan list.

MarsGal,  "If You Can't Stand The Heat" sounds very much like the Poppy Peters Mystery Series by A. Gardner (first initial only).  First one (of 5) in that series is "Southern Peach Pie And A Dead Guy".  I've read two of the series and liked them.

Marilyne

I just arrived home from the library, and sorry to say that they didn't have any of the books that I wanted.  I should have put in a request, but because these books are all old, I expected that they would be in the stacks for me to look at and decide on.  What really surprises me, is that there was nothing by Tony Hillerman!  I know he wrote a dozen or more novels, and I was willing to check out any that looked interesting to me.  I plan to go to the library website when I'm finished here, and see if any of his books are at other libraries in the county system.  The other two books that I wanted, were Ship of Fools, by Katherine Anne Porter, and Lost Horizon, by James Hilton.  I can understand why there wasn't a copy of either one of those, being as they were written in the 1930's.  However, I'm hoping to find them both, somewhere in the system. 

Jean - Give me some suggestions as to the T. Hillerman novels that you liked best, and I'll request them if available?

Callie - Everyone I know who read You Before Me, liked it a lot, and sounds like you did too, if you also read the follow up book. I've held off getting it, thinking that it sounded too sad, but I think I'm ready to read it.  My dil thought the story was uplifting . . . she also saw the movie.

FlaJean

Marilyne, do you ever use https://www.fantasticfiction.com
They have hundreds of authors.  If you click on H you will see both Tony Hillerman and Anne Hillerman listed.  I love that sight as all the authors' books are in order and if there is a new book being published it will list the month it is coming out. I liked all of the Hillerman books.  If I owned the books, I would go back and read everyone of them again.

There was a 3 or 4 episode series on Netflix about the Lieutenant and Jim Chee based on Tony Hillerman's stories.  I also enjoyed that, but I don't know if Netflix still has it.  If I find it I'll let you know.

MaryTX

] FlaJean, thanks for posting the "Fantastic Fiction" website.  I try to keep up with new books from my library's Upcoming New Books listing but miss some of my favorite authors since they don't purchase every new book.

I started reading Tony Hillerman's Lt. Leaphorn books when he first started the series and he certainly passed on the writing gene to his daughter as she seamlessly carried on the series as if he was writing it. 

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Marilyne

MaryTX - Good to see you here in the Library Bookshelf.  When I didn't find the Hillerman books yesterday, I ordered some to be sent to my library, from others around the county.  I'll probably get some by next weekend, and I'm looking forward to reading them.  I have no idea what titles they'll send, but I'll be happy with any of them.

Jean - I also want to thank you for posting the Fantastic Fiction, website.  When I get whatever Hillerman books they send me, I'll be able to look and see where they fall on the list.  I haven't checked Netflix yet, for the Hillerman series.  It's probably still there, as they seem to keep their series and made for Netflix movies, on forever.  I noticed the last time I looked, that the movie Our Souls At Night, with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, is still available.  That was the one adapted from the book by Kent Haruf.  If you haven't seen it, it's worth viewing. 

FlaJean

I don't think Netflix has that series anymore.  I looked extensively in Search for it.  Netflix eventually drops and changes their entertainment.  They dropped the old Sherlock Holmes version for the new Sherlock Holmes with Cumberbatch.  I didn't like the new Sherlock Holmes.  I like series that stick more closely to the original stories.  I hardly look at Netflix anymore.  They have way too much junk in my opinion.  I have been reading much more since I had my cataract operation last year.

Good to see you posting here, MaryTX.

Marilyne

Jean - I agree with you on Netflix.  For one thing, they have TOO MANY shows to choose from! I get bogged down and discouraged, just scrolling through the endless choices.  We've tried lots of them, and turned them off after watching one episode.  Most are too violent, overly sexy, or just the "same old/same old".  I'm so tired of stories about crazy psychopaths committing crimes - especially against women and children. There's just too many shows like that on TV now.

I like a good story with a little humor, like The Kominsky Method, on Netflix now, with Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin.  If you have Amazon, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, is really funny. An added bonus, is that it takes place in the late 1950's, so you will enjoy the authentic clothes and attitudes of people at that time in history. I know I've already mentioned both of those within this month,  because they're the most recent series shows I've seen on TV.  We've mostly been watching movies this past month, and will continue on and try to see some of the Oscar winners from this year that sound good to us.

MarsGal

I am having a dickens of a time trying to decide which book to pick for my monthly first reads freebie. The first is a Thriller titled The Rescue by Steven Konkoly. It is about a "former CIA operative turned mercenary" who specializes in rescuing kidnap victims: a mission gone bad, lots of people dead, a cover-up and false accusations, a prison sentence, revenge.

The second, and the one I am leaning towards is a non-fiction titled Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream by Carson Vaughn. It is an expose covering the rise and fall of a small town zoo that began as the Midwest Primate Center, grew into a thriving tourist attraction, and then became the focus of a power struggle that ended in its demise. Yup! I think I'd rather read this one. https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-5039-0150-6

Marilyne

MarsGal - Interesting coincidence!  I received an Amazon message this morning, on recommended new books for March.  One of them is Zoo Nebraska!  Like you, I read the review, and knew right away that it's a true story that I want to read!

Marilyne

Yesterday I went to the library, and I now have a stack of library books, that's so high, it's actually intimidating!  :yikes:  How will I ever read them all, and how will I choose which one to read first?? 

Jean & MaryTX - Two of them are Tony Hillerman novels .  . The Wailing Wind and Listening Woman. Which one do you think would be the best story to start with, to introduce me to Hillerman? Or does it matter?  I still have lots of other Hillerman's on order, but they are all checked out or on waiting lists.

MarsGal - Another one I saw on the New Book Shelf, and looked interesting to me, is a book of short stories by Joe R. Lansdale. I've never heard of him, but he is famous for SciFi books and stories.  I sat down and read one of the stories last night, called In the Mad Mountains.  Wow, that was a cross between SciFi and horror! It surely did hold my attention, as I could not put it down until I had come to the end.  I'm wondering if you've ever heard of Lansdale??  Apparently he has written lots of novels over many years, but not all of them are SciFi. This one is his newest.

The other books in my stack, are Sisters, by Lisa Wingate, (author of "Before We Were Yours"), Transcription, by Kate Atkinson, Lost Horizon, by James Hilton, and Ship of Fools, by Katherine Anne Porter.

maryz

Marilyn, may I butt in?  We've been great Tony Hillerman fans over the years and have owned all of his books.  I would recommend reading them in chronological order, but it's not really necessary.  The characters change and develop over the years, and you'll grow to know them.  But each book also stands on its own.  For us, one of the main "characters" in his books is the geography of the NM/AZ/Navajo reservation area.  We traveled there extensively and were able to visit many of the sites he talks about.  One of the characters refers to a AAA "Indian Country" road map.  We literally wore out two of them, following the back roads he writes about.  I hope you enjoy the books.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MarsGal

No, I've never heard of Joe R. Lansdale. That isn't a surprise since it appears he tends toward horror type novels. I mostly stay away from horror films and books, including SciFi. 

Waiting for me at the library is a book on the history of Bulgaria's first empire. I've also put a hold on the March discussion of a book about the Silk Road. I am just too lazy to go refresh my memory on the titles just now.

I read Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost. Oddly, I didn't think it came off as funny as the movie did.

MarsGal

I am getting myself buried in books this month. I just put two more books on hold. One is Mary Roach's Spook and the other is about the Mary Celeste.

SCFSue

I am also a fan of Tony Hillerman's novels.  Especially since we lived in Albuquerque in the early 70's.  Did he die?  I know from recent posts that his daughter is writing the series now.  He was a favorite of my late husband (and me!) and our teenage sons (who are now in their 50's and 60's!). I am going to look for the new editions written by his daughter on my next trip to the library.

SCF Sue

Marilyne

maryz - Nice to see you here in the Library Bookshelf.  :)  It's been a long time since you've posted here, and I'm hoping that you return more often and comment on books you've read, or are reading.   

I'm impressed that you and your husband, traveled to Navajo country, and visited many of the sites that are in Hillerman's novels. We only did that once, many years ago, after we both read an interesting true historical book about the Modocs, a Indian Tribe here in California.  It was called, The Modoc's and Their War. We drove to that remote area, far up in the Northern part of the state, and walked the Modoc trail, the caves, the hideouts, etc.   

I was hoping to read the Hillerman books in Chronological order, but found out that it's difficult to do that, unless I want to buy them. (or read on my Kindle). Also, although I have access to two libraries, city and county, neither one of them has all of the books.  I got a couple of them - mentioned in my message above - and I decided to read Listening Woman, first, mainly because it had the oldest publication date.  I started it last night, and it held my interest right away, so I can tell I'm going to like it.

maryz

Marilyn, the best place to find Hillerman is to get the paperbacks at a used book store.   :)  Your trip to Northern CA sounds like a good one.  We also did a (then) Elderhostel in Aztec, NM, with one of the subjects being Hillerman's novels.  He was in ill health then.
 And yes, Sue, he died a few years ago.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyne

MarsGal -  Both of us are buried in books!   I know I won't get to even half of my huge stack. I wanted to mention that Joe Lansdale, is not focused on horror stories/novels, at all.  In the book of his short stories that I mentioned, he writes an introduction to each of the stories.  The one I read, In the Mad Mountains, his introduction talks about specific genre's of sci Fi, and a writer by the name of Lovecraft, (whom he does not like) and others I can't remember now. Anyway, he was channeling Lovecraft, in that story.  At least that was the impression I got?

Anyway, he says his favorite genre is plain old American fiction - stories from the past, most especially the old west.   The name of his book,  is Driving to Geronimo's Grave, and other stories.  The first story is "Geronimo's Grave", which Takes place in Oklahoma, during the Depression, and is about a teenage boy.  It's short, and it's very good.  Lansdale has a great sense of humor.  I think you'd like this book.

maryz - Thanks for the tip on the used bookstores, for finding Hillerman novels.  I haven't been to one in years, but I know of a good one that I used to like to visit.  I hope it's still there?   

JeanneP

Thank goodness. I got 4 books at the library last week. Still without a car and tonight we are getting 3 to 5 inches of snow. Do not remember a winter like this in Illinois before. I fell like wall are closing in.
Found a new writer. love her books. Her name is Emily Giffin. I read the first one and then found 4 more of her books in LPrint Got them all. now into number 2.
Not even in the mood to be on the  computer. I need to get onto Comcast as my WiFi not working .Will try contacting them tonight if I feel like spending a long time talking to someone out of the country. Hard to get people in US.
We need to get some warmer weather and sunshine to get me into a better mood.
JeanneP

CallieOK

Marilyne,  unfortunately,  "Driving To Geronimo's Grave" isn't available to me but here's a link to some information about the site

Geronimo's Grave

I've been to the museum and the cemetery at Ft. Sill.  Both are very interesting.

I'm a bit low on e-books right now.  Have been browsing through the ones that are Available and can't find any that look interesting that I haven't read.  Can't decide what interests me.

I'm tired of the same old authors, some of whom (who?)  seem to have a chart over their desks with plot sequence and just change the names and places for "new" novels.

Oh well.....

MarsGal

Marilyne, one point for Lansdale. I don't like Lovecraft either.