Random Image

Fe Fe 6

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Isn't the trick not to add the fruit or marchmallows  until the jello has gotten cold. Not yet started to Jell.
JeanneP

RAMMEL

We had breakfast for dinner last night.

Sausages, scrambled eggs, and toast. Also a dish of apple sauce.  Guess who got to cook  :thumbup:

For whatever reason I like the combination, and it's easy.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

maryc

Rammel,   That breakfast DOES make a good supper or anytime meal....easy and good.   I think of it as comfort food.

JeanneP,   Someone else told me to put the marshmallows in the warm jello.    I told her that I thought they might melt.     This is funny.    The jello has set up well now and it's ok,   there is a lot of fruit in it and the marshmallows just mix in.   I guess it has been too long since my regular jello making days.
Mary C

FlaJean

Rammel, that sounds good.  We had just toasted sour dough bread for breakfast so our big meal today is going to be scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.  Larry doesn't care for applesauce so I buy those little individual applesauce cups and often have one for a snack.

angelface555

That's what I had for dinner last night. Eggs over easy with buttered rye. I tend to eat a larger meal in the mid to late afternoon and a snack in the late evening.

so_P_bubble

same here Angel: my main meal is for lunch, because I never have breakfast except for  my coffee.

FlaJean

We usually have our main meal in mid to late afternoon also since we both retired.  However, our main meal is often very simple anyway.

angelface555

That's me as well Bubble!

I talked to a neighbor yesterday who had the cutest pair of senior small dogs. She said she had been married five times and those two Lhasa Apsos  had given her more companionship than any of her husbands!

To get back on topic, she and I were discussing how we sometimes ate out of a single bowl and forgot our forks!  ;D  :thumbup:

Jean, I think that is often the way of seniors. I know it seems to be here.

JeanneP

I have not made Jello for years. Don't know why.  So easy.  I use to love Raspberry Jello with Banana sliced up in it.  Going to have to do some.
JeanneP

Delphineaz

Yesterday I put 2# of 95% frozen hamberger in crock pot.  I added 1 lrg chopped onion and 2 cups celery.  When done I added 1 can each of rotel hot chopped tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato soup, Mexican style chopped tomatoes and 2 cans of drained kidney beans, 1 cup of hot salsa, red pepper flakes, p&s, celery salt, garlic pwd and let it cook more.  I cooked a box of macaroni.  Put it in lrg roaster, stirred in meat mixture and baked covered in 350 oven.  When cooled I put it into 1 and 2 cup freezer containers.  It is now in freezer.  16 meals.  I also have chicken fetticini, beef veg soup, hash in the freezer.  I am one of those cooks who when I make something I want to be sure my time is used well.  Cooking or baking for the freezer is my way to go since I live alone and I would rather read a book than cook.

angelface555

In my freezer, in freezer bags are hamburger, one or two cups sized, browned and seasoned with rosemary; chicken in both cup sizes that has been slow cooked, then de-skinned, deboned and shredded. I use the slow cooker with the chicken mixed with one-half cup of lemon juice or fruit juices, along with various dried herbs, water to cover one-third. Along with that, I have pork chops browned and pork steaks in single servings.

I roast chicken legs and chicken breasts to freeze in single servings, along with one and two cups froze bags of rice, mixed red, yellow and orange peppers, and various small bags of mixed vegetables of different combinations. I also have various bags of frozen fruit from last year's farm share.

Your recipe, Delphine, sounds like it would fit right in and I've saved it. I cook about every two months and what I take out of the freezer is marked off the lid on the door so I know what I have. I can throw together almost anything from what I've frozen and the fresh fruits and veggies in my fridge and cupboards. Just need to add spices, condiments or sauces along with some type of bread.

I've gotten to be so lazy with just myself to cook for. I even plan for the slow cooker to cook overnight!  ;D

maryc

I think you gals should put your heads together and write a cookbook called "Cooking for One, Simply" or something like that.    You have such good ideas and I like that I'm not hearing that old phrase,  "It's too hard to cook for one".   We are so lucky to have freezers where we can keep cooked food fresh and ready for a quick fix meal.   I like your creative thinking.

I saw something in a magazine this week that looked like a good idea.   It was meatloaf made in muffin tins.   When they were served they had been topped with mashed potato (looked like icing).    Meatloaf seems to freeze and reheat very well.    I've just done it sliced but these little things looked good.

Mary C

angelface555

Mary, I saw that one with the mini meatloaves. Was it one of the Taste of Home booklets?

Amazon is selling a cookbook that has all types of dishes you may cook in a muffin tin. I'll have to look that book up.

When I was younger and cooking for a growing persnickety family, I had a cookbook on make-ahead mixes that has disappeared through time. I got into the habit back then of cooking an extra piece of meat or two when preparing dinner that was a good start to the way I cook now.

Although I've already noted Delphine's ingredients on my grocery list. The only difference is I tend to use dried beans and wouldn't that taste good with some lentils mixed in?

Joy

Here is the recipe for the Lil' Cheddar Meat Loaves from the Taste of Home website.   I make these all the time.  They are delicious.  I just make up the little meat loaves, but I don't see why you couldn't make them in the muffin tins.

Lil' Cheddar Meat Loaves

TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.

MAKES: 8 servings

Ingredients

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

Nutritional facts
1 serving (1 each) equals 254 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.

Hope you will try them.

Joy
BIG BOX

so_P_bubble

Oh Joy this sounds good.  I will try it!  I was looking on  something to use quick-cooking oats.

FlaJean

Joy, that sounds good.  My husband likes meatloaf but when I make it I end up getting so tired of it before it is all eaten.  I'll try this and freeze the extra loaves for another time.

angelface555

JeanneP

JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Yummy!  I printed two for later reference.  Thanks so much.  As soon as Passover is over, I'll get busy in the kitchen :)

Delphineaz

Meatloaf is my favorite meat dish.  I often have breakfast at dinner/supper time.  I buy ground turkey or chicken and make meatloaf with it and it is awesome.  I also freeze stuffing in small amts to serve with turkey or chicken.  I prefer dark meat turkey so only buy the thighs and they are put in freezer with all the spices on them and froze in 1 thigh pkgs but they make two dinners.  When my market has organic turkey (or chicken) thighs I will buy as many pkgs as they will sell me since so many people like dark meat turkey.  They limit me to 4 usually.  I love this site....learn something every single day.  I love reading recipes as much as I love a good book.

FlaJean

Does anyone know how to start the Gardening Forum?  I have looked on the Internet but can't find this plant.  It is planted in the front garden of our new house.  Would sure like to know what it is.

angelface555

PM, Jeannie, she's an administrator.

alpiner1

Tonight we are having Clam Chowder .

maryc

FlaJean,   I couldn't find the Gardening forum again either but hope it does come back.    Your plant looks an awful lot like a Euonymous.  Check out this site.   https://www.google.com/search?q=Euonymous&tbm=isch&imgil=axPdauZMsqPjlM%253A%253BdEuJeAMg2AYnFM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.worleysgreenhouse.com%25252Findex.cfm%25252Ffuseaction%25252Fplants.plantDetail%25252Fplant_id%25252F164%25252Findex.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=axPdauZMsqPjlM%253A%252CdEuJeAMg2AYnFM%252C_&usg=__aaIG439u_TctBs5yBC36ALs2ya8%3D&biw=1173&bih=584&ved=0ahUKEwjDv9uh5bfMAhXFm4MKHfgxD64QyjcIrgE&ei=uWQlV4P_O8W3jgT447zwCg#imgrc=axPdauZMsqPjlM%3A

Some are a plain leaf and some quite fancy.   Your plant looks like a very pretty one to me.    I have a few in the yard of different varieties but none like that one.     I could be wrong about this because you are in the south and probably have species that don't flourish here in the north but it does look like it.  Good luck in your search. :)
Mary C

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JeanneP

Has anyone tried using the Butcher Boy Coconut oil in their cooking? I haven't but one store is showing it on Sale today.  Maybe by some and see what it does.  I know it is used a lot in Chinese cooking.
JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP, the real estate lady who helped us buy this house gave us a huge basket of goodies from Fresh Market.  One of the items was a container of cranberry/orange scones.  Someone told me they were like our (baking soda) biscuits.  They are so much better than our biscuits.  I love them.  I wonder if they use a special type of flour to be so light and fine.  Do you make scones?

JeanneP

Jean.  Now my daughter sent me a basket of things for my birthday. Pretty basket and in it it has lots of English Tea. Packets of Choc. Digestive Buscuits, pots of jam and also a packet mix for of Original Recipe Scones. Just add Water, Mix and Bake. Says Sticky fingers Bakeries. Not baked them yet. Fact may do half of them today. There is also a jar of Clotted cream.  One put the Jam and clotted cream on the Scones when baked.
Yes, I have always made scones but not done it for awhile.  Packet make 16 so will just make 8 And yes.  They are different than the US made biscuits. I do like those though. Specially down the South
Will let you know how these turn out and if as good as home made.
https://www.stickyfingersbakeries.com/

JeanneP

maryc

JeanneP,  If I missed your birthday,   belated Happy Birthday wishes!   Your birthday gift basket sounds pretty yummy.     I've never made scones.    My late MIL often talked about them from the old country but she never would or could tell me the recipe.  ;)    My daughter, DIL and I had tea at a Tearoom in a nearby community last summer and the scones were very good also served with clotted cream and preserves.   Our daughter is taking a young lady friend  (about 10 years old) to the Tea Room next week.    She usually takes her to a musical or a play for her birthday but this year decided to take her to Tea.    They have a childs menu that offers little sandwiches in varieties that children enjoy along with the other goodies.   It is fun!
Mary C

FlaJean

Jeanne, I see that sticky fingers has a cranberry orange scone mix.  Let me know if you like your scone mix.  I saved that web page and may send for some mixes.