Random Image

British Fascinator

Owner: Lindancer
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Instapot, crockpot, oven, converter microwave, convection toaster oven, I have more ways to cook bread than ever before but I prefer the way it comes out in the Instapot.

JeanneP

Jean. Yes I Had some frozen one which I usually use. I didn't thaw them and didn't work good.  So today I tried some more. Thawed them out and then put then in and sprayed  with oil. Did better. Will have to practice with fries as I like really crisp ones. Pork chop did good. Will just keep playing around.
Found that I can just bring up YouTube. Type in Cooking with Air Fryer and Hundreds of things come up.  Have a few Forums which are pretty good as they seem to have had them for some time. Something else to play with. Love cooking shows.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Jeanne, after thawing them you need to dry them well on paper towels before spraying with oil. They do get quite crispy then.

FlaJean

Well, if decide to get one, I’ll know what to do for crisping them.  Thanks.

JeanneP

Bubble.. Now do you use one of the Air Fryers?. Having fun on Utube just seeing all you can do on them. Some good forums on there.  Waiting for my shipment of different pans etc. get here.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Never heard  of them and cannot find here. I use normal pan on the gas range.

angelface555

This sounds good for winter weather!

Homemade Vanilla Steamer

Prep time
1 min
Cook time
2 mins
Total time
3 mins

Author: Alea
Recipe type: Beverage
Serves: 1
Ingredients
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon sugar
whipped cream (optional)
Directions
Add milk, vanilla, and sugar to a microwave-safe coffee cup. Stir to combine.
Heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. If it is not warm enough, heat for an additional 15 - 20 seconds, but avoid letting it reach a boil.
Top with whipped cream if desired.

https://premeditatedleftovers.com/recipes-cooking-tips/homemade-vanilla-steamer/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=premeditatedleftovers-recipes

so_P_bubble

Sounds delicious! Just what is needed before a peaceful night sleep :)

angelface555

FlaJean

We finished the last of our Christmas dinner leftovers yesterday.  With the small amount of turkey I have left I’m going to make some turkey noodle soup.  Today is cold and dreary here in northwest Florida and hot homemade soup sounds good to me.

Angel, that sounds like a good drink before going to bed, as Bubble said.  I’ve been drinking homemade cocoa at night but that takes more sugar, but a tsp of vanilla sounds like too much.  I would try 1/2 tsp first and then add more according to ones taste.

angelface555

That sounds about right with the vanilla, Jean. I would also possibly add a sprinkling of cinnamon and nutmeg.

JeanneP

Still only 5 deg here all day. Not going out. So cooking away. Trying a couple more things in the Air Fryer . I baked some biscuits. and make 6 Sausage Biscuits for the freezer. Did good but now know to use 350 and not the 400 deg it says. Have to watch as only takes a few min. Also made 4 pints of Chili for the freeze. I have some chicken breast cut up and in fridge. Will fix it soon as a start to Sweet and Sour chicken.  My pans for it are suppose to come here tomorrow. Indoor freezer in good shape again now.
JeanneP

angelface555

Really simple, really good chicken and dumplings. I had my serving last night.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/old-fashioned-chicken-and-dumplings/

FlaJean

Angel, I tried the hot milk drink tonight.  It did take 1 tsp vanilla and I needed 2 tsp sugar I sprinkled some cinnamon on top.  It was good.

angelface555

Rosemary Lemon Chicken #Sunday Supper
A Platter Talk Exclusive  Course Dinner

Prep Time 15 minutes

Cook Time 45 minutes

Total Time 1 hour

Servings 4

Author Dan from Platter Talk

Ingredients

1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces

juice from 2 lemons

zest from 1 lemon

2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 sprigs fresh rosemary stems removed and finely chopped, plus more for garnish

1 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup vegetable oil

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine flour, salt and pepper and then divide in two shallow dredging bowls.
In third shallow dredging bowl, combine and stir lemon juice, lemon zest, and rosemary.
Using standard breading procedure, dredge chicken and place on clean tray.

Meanwhile, place oil in large oven safe skillet and heat on medium-high setting.
Place chicken in skillet, a few pieces at a time if necessary to avoid crowding.
Brown each piece evenly, about 3-4 minutes per side. Allow to drain on paper bag.

Discard oil from skillet and return chicken to pan. Add wine to skillet and place in oven.
Allow chicken to finish in the oven, covered, about 45-60 minutes, until juices run clear and internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees F.

Garnish with additional rosemary, if desired.

Most of the prep can be done ahead of time and if you prefer, the dry white wine can be exchanged for white grape juice.

FlaJean

Sometime back I put in a recipe for “meatloaf for two”.  It was such a hit with my husband I made four, ate one and froze three a couple of weeks ago.  We just aren’t big eaters so one small meatloaf is plenty for our meal with some leftover for a sandwich.  So taking one out of the freezer for our big meal of the day.

Yesterday I cooked French fries for the first time in a couple of years.  I used the light olive oil which I prefer for frying and baking.  They were so good I’m going to cook them again today.  Can’t help myself. :thumbup:

angelface555

I know what you mean, Jean. A full-size meatloaf was often too much for me, so I used to make one, cut it into four pieces and freeze them. Now I use my muffin pan for mini meat loafs, just divide the recipe into twelve equal parts and freeze.  You can with this method, use individual toppings, different for each mini meatloaf.

Coincidently, tonight I will be having a thawed out mini meatloaf with rice and squash, all compliments of my freezer. Or I might as I did yesterday, grab a PB&J and plan on saving my scheduled meal for another time this week.

FlaJean

Is PB&J a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?  I’ve been eating them since I was little and I still enjoy them.  Angel, can you eat cooked items that have milk in the ingredients or do you have to use lactose free milk entirely even for cooking?

angelface555

I use powdered milk in cooking, and it doesn't seem to have the effect that drinking it straight does. I used to always use almond or soy milk for drinking or cold cereal and now those upset me as well. I've upped my calcium pills and drink rice milk. Oddly enough, I can no longer use dried potatoes and since I eat so little, just for myself, that they rot before use. So, I've gone to rice.

Yes, pb&j is peanut butter and jelly altho I use it as a catchall term for different nut butters and toppings. I have trouble with store bought, so I use my blender and make different types of nut butters. Evidently, my body just doesn't do well with chemicals.

JeanneP

Jean. Did you make the Fries from regular potatoes not the frozen ones. I prefer my own.
I am out of most ready made in my freezer and so to day going to do the same thing. Make some small meatloaves . I also got about 4 lbs of chicken legs and thighs yesterday. Going to fry some. then also do some in the crock pot with cream chicken and mushrooms.  With this weather I seem to be eating to much. Think I may have put a few pounds on as not out walking. But it will come off when the weather gets better.
Got caught in a snow blizzard yesterday. had snowed all night and stopped so need to go out to big store out on the State HW. Came out and blizzard had started up. Hardly could see my car. Got there and found left the lights on. Was Dead. Man in truck next to me jumped it. Just took a second as new battery . I am not going out again until this mess is gone.
JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP, I always peel and slice fresh potatoesâ€"just like them better.  It sounds like you are enjoying some good food during this cold weather.

JeanneP

Try this simple little recipe if in a hurry.

Fluffy Biscuit Muffins.
1 cup Self Raising Flour
2 Tablespoons of Mayonaise
1/2 cup Milk (Try butter milk)
I slipped in just a little sugar and Nutmeg for extra taste.

Mix the flour and Mayo. (Lightly)
Add in the Milk. Do not beat heavy.
Put into 4 big muffin tins. (greased)
Bake for15 min at 425 deg.

JeanneP

Joy

Jeanne,  I have been making Mayonnaise biscuits for years and years.  When my boys were in grade school,  the parents put together a cook book and that is where I got the recipe.  They are so easy and really are good.  Haven't fixed them for a long time, as I always forget to get the self-rising flour.  Not sure if they would taste the same,  if I added some baking powder.  Probably would work?

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

While I never made biscuits with mayo (I'm not even sure I made biscuits), but I seem to remember a cake recipe using both mayo and tomato soup.  It must have been during the war because I was working then and my mother had died.  I'll have to see if I can find the recipe.  The cake tasted OK - it was a chocolate cake and chocolate overpowers any other taste.

Mary Ann

angelface555

This recipe sounds both quick and easy and good! I can probably freeze several meals from the recipe.

https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-meatloaf-mashed-potatoes/

Ingredients

For the Meatloaf:
2 lb. ground beef (I used a lean ground beef)
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 cup honey bbq sauce
For the Meatloaf Topping:
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp mustard
1/3 cup ketchup

For the potatoes:
3 lbs. yellow potatoes, washed and quartered
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup half and half
4 tbsp butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions

Start by laying the quartered potatoes in the bottom of your pressure cooker in an even layer. Pour the chicken broth over the top. Lay the rack that comes with your pressure cooker over the top so it lays flat.

Combine the ingredients for the meatloaf (minus the topping) in a large bowl until fully combined. Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place on a piece of tinfoil. Shape the tinfoil up and around the edges of the meatloaf, creating a pocket for it. Place the meatloaf on top of the rack in the pressure cooker and secure lid.

Ensure that the steam release is closed and turn pressure cooker to Manual mode for 20 to 25 minutes*. Once finished cooking, use the quick release method to let the steam escape. Check meatloaf for internal temperature of 155 degrees.

Carefully lift the meatloaf out of the pressure cooker and place on a baking sheet. Mix the ingredients for the topping and brush all over the meatloaf. Place meatloaf under the broiler for just 3 to 4 minutes, until the top is bubbly and caramelized.

Meanwhile add the remaining ingredients (half and half, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper) to the instant pot and mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
Serve the meatloaf in slices with the mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

UPDATE Some people are finding that 20 minutes is not enough time to fully cook their meatloaf. I use an 8 quart Instant Pot for this recipe and 20 minutes works great. If your IP is smaller, try increasing the time up to 25 minutes. If it's still not cooked in the center, you can finish it in the oven at 350 degrees. Once it's cooked through finish with the topping and broil.

angelface555

Try these mini muffin meals for a quick snack or easy meal from the freezer.

https://thewhoot.com/whoot-news/recipes/amazing-muffin-tin-recipes

FlaJean

They look good, especially when you are hungry (my stomach is growling).

JeanneP

I think that Muffin Tin Shepherds Pie is going to be the one for me. Looks so good. Going to try a Cheese and onion one also. One of my favourite pies.
JeanneP

angelface555

I made up several of the instapot meatloaf and mashed potatoes, froze some and refrigerated others. I also made some different muffin tin recipes out of eight pounds of ground round. I had two chickens roasted in the crockpot, skin, and bones removed, with several roasted vegtables; two family sized packages of pork chops and two mini petit steaks, (three pieces cut into nine for each steak); and nine bags of meatballs, plus three of stew meat.

Sixteen cups of rice, three large white onions diced and seven bags of orange, red and green chopped, diced peppers, all in one, two or three cup freezer bags. Including what I had left from last time, I could conceivably not have to do this again for perhaps three months but I will probably sometime next month. I just open the freezer take some bags out, thaw overnight in the fridge; combine, season, heat and stir, and in less than twenty minutes, a good, hot meal is served.

I also have different seasoning homemade mixes, seasoned, flavored butter and drink mixes all handmade, prepped and ready. It is so lovely as a single person, busy with life, not to have to stop, think and take an hour or so to prepare a meal or get sick with fast, convenience or microwavable commercially made meals

JeanneP

Angel.  Now where do you keep all that frozen if just one person.  I try to not have more in my freezer than what will use in a month if already cooked.  Now the Freezer i have in my outdoor building I will keep uncooked things but not long than 3 months. Such as Chickens, Vegetables etc.  If longer I take over to the food Shelter frozen.
JeanneP