Random Image

Egyptian Abstract

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Tome - Last night, AJ wanted to watch "The Darkest Hour", but I was hesitant, so we watched something else.  I knew it was about Churchill, and that Gary Oldman was nominated for lots of awards, but it didn't appeal to me.  Now it DOES! :) Thanks for recommending it . . . we'll probably watch it tonight.

MaryTX - Good to see you here in the Library~Bookshelf!  please return, and tell us what books you're reading?  Mine all seem to arrive at the same time also, and I rarely get around to reading them all.  Like your library, we can only renew books that are not on a wait list. The ones that are, have to be returned in one week.

MarsGal - I haven't opened "Adults in the Room" yet.  I don't remember if it's on a wait list or not, so I'd better check.  The book you mentioned - "The Night Market", sounds good.  I'll see if it's available at my library for next time. 

Tomereader1

"Adults in the Room" is one of the books I have from that list of 9. 

The Darkest Hour moves rather slowly, but strangely, it is over before you know it.
There are some distinctly funny "bits", which actually made me laugh!  I will do just one teeny spoiler here...and you will have to be paying attention to catch it...
Churchill meets the King, and kisses his hand/ring, and the King, returning his arm to the usual behind the back position, wipes his hand on the back of his jacket! I just roared. Okay no more spoilers!

maryc

I'm back!!!   I've been in Charlotte, NC since the 19th of July and came home last Saturday.   As usual I could read the posts on my Kindle but couldn't respond.     We had a celebration of life for Al on July 14 and all of the family was to be here.   Our son in NC went into the hospital on July 10 with Acute Heart Failure and was there for 9 days.    As soon as I had finished up here with the memorial I went down there planning to stay for 3 weeks.  My return flight was scheduled for August 9.   On the 8th our son (Nate) started having episodes of  passing out.   He went back into the hospital for a couple days for observation.   Long story short,  the Dr. finally took a couple of his medicines away and since then his blood pressure seems to be holding pretty steady.  It's been a roller coaster summer.    Meanwhile I had a couple books on my Kindle and managed to finish those.   One of them was a Joyce Carol Oates book called The Falls.    I hadn't much liked her writing in We Were the Mulvaneys but decided to give this a try since it was set here in Niagara Falls.    It was a pretty good story but as before it seemed to me that she passed a few good stopping places along the way and then the ending was sort of abrubt.   The other book was especially good.   It was called The Solace of Water by Elizabeth Byler Younts.   This story is about the unusual friendship between a black woman and an Amish woman.  I really enjoyed that one.  The Charlotte Library system uses the Hoople program and I was able to help our son get the Hoopla on his TV so that they can borrow movies.    I had watched one called Roommates with Peter Falk and he tried to get it from their library but it was in big demand.  He was able to get it the next day.   It is a good generational story.   In my searching around I found that other libraries around the country use a similar program but with a different name.   I like it very much because I can get books, audio books and movies right from home and there is never an overdue as when the time is up....IT'S UP!! and your item disappears from you device. 
Tomereader,   I noticed that you too have been reading some about coping with grief.   Have you read anything by Alan D. Wolfelt,  I happened onto some of his writing and liked his way.  Another title that was good was Resilient Grieving, by Lucy Hone.   I hope you are doing well.     Sorry to be so lengthy here.
Mary C

Marilyne

maryc - So glad to have you back with us!  I’m sorry to hear that your son had such a serious health emergency, and was unable to attend Al’s, Celebration of Life. It sounds like he was successfully treated, and the situation is now under control?     

I read, The Falls, a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking it was pretty good, compared to other novels by Joyce Carol Oates.  She is one of those authors that I have always had a love/hate relationship with.  I've enjoyed some of her books, but others I have disliked intensely. She can be so very depressing!  I think that she has written too many novels over the years.  A writer who is that prolific, is bound to stumble along the way. I liked her early books more than her recent ones.  She seems to be recycling lots of her old ideas, only with new characters.

Tome - we didn't watch The Darkest Hour tonight after all.  We went out for dinner, and by the time we got back, it was too late for a movie, so we'll plan to see it tomorrow or Saturday.   

MarsGal

Now back to reading the SciFi anthology, Infinite Stars.. Also, reading The Weight of Ink which, so far, has not excited me; I expect it to pick up a little farther into the book. I didn't care for Cabinet of Curiosities; it seemed pretty boring after reading  Relic and its' sequel Reliquary. I expect to try another of Preston and Childs Pendergast series in the future.

FlaJean

MaryC, good to see all is well with you, but sorry to hear about your son’s health emergency.  Glad he is doing better.

My husband got a series of books on iBooks that were light reading but iinteresting and sometimes laugh out loud funny.  It has been so hot this summer that we have exhausted most of the Netflix and Acorn movies and series and have been reading more books.

Am really looking forward to some cooler weather.

Marilyne

Tome: I loved The Darkest Hour . . . see my comment in the Television/Movies folder.  An excellent film!

Tomereader1

Wow!  I'm so, so glad you liked it.  I'll go to Television/Movies folder now and read your comment.  Somehow, I just knew you'd like it!

MarsGal

I finished The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish. And, wow!

What begins as an investigation into some very old papers and books found in a closet under a stairs in 2000, jumps to the mid 1600s and the small Jewish community in London that fled the Inquisition. This is also the time period in which Jewish communities everywhere were dealing with Spinoza's radical/heretical ideas and with Sabbatai Zevi, who claimed to be the Jewish Messiah.

While a little overall Jewish history is included, much of the book touches (some more heavily than others) on issues of morality, free will, women's place in the community, societal pressures, and discrimination/prejudice. The consequences of ones actions and how it may affect others at the time and in the future is, I think, one of the main themes running across both time periods.

It also hits on the prejudice/bigotry within and without the Jewish community, and the guilt, shame and fear buttons, hitting on all emotional cylinders and a bunch of philosophy as well. Major events include the Inquisition, the Great Plague of 1665-1666, and a touch of the Great Fire of London in September of 1666.

The major philosophical debate at the time, or at least in this book, is the God vs. Nature issue. Does God exist and if so, how much of life can be attributed to God's work vs the work of natural processes. Are God and Nature one in the same?  Oh, and what is the nature of desire? That seems to crop up now and again, but I don't think it got the 'play' that other issues got. A worthy book for those who are up to it. It won the 2017 National Jewish Book Award.

maryc

Marsgal,   The Weight of Ink certainly sounds like some "heavy reading".    About a year ago I thought that I would take one serious book for a winter read.   Maybe something like that but the winter last year kind of turned my life upside down and here is another fall and winter coming and I  have done nothing more in the reading than  just for entertainment.   I really don't ever think of a  book as just pleasure because there is always something in a story that teaches me something I hadn't known before.    Anyway I might just tackle that title if it comes my way via library or Kindle. Thanks for the good review.  Has anyone read the last book by Khaled Hosseini And the Mountains Echoed?  A little sidenote here....while I had a long layover on my way home from Charlotte  I had breakfast with two interesting and delightful ladies.   One was a student on her way back from her home in Italy  to college in Alabama.   The other was an expat who lives in Holland and was coming to Western New York to visit her daughter.    Of course we talked of reading.  The student  (Pre Med) admitted that she has very little time for reading for pleasure...understandable.   The other woman and I shared some favorite authors and she told us about a book by an Italian author  that sounded good.   It  was titled Best Friends by Elana Ferrante.   That was such an interesting little time spent with other travelers.

I've had a hard  cough and  cold for going on two weeks now and haven't been doing much of anything but maintenance around the house and yard.   Going to the Dr. this afternoon.  Maybe she will have a magic potion for me.....think so???
Mary C

MarsGal

Tomereader1, we are dwindling down to a few over on Senior Learn. I am wondering if you've given up on us since I haven't seen you over there in a while. There are five books that are listed for possible discussion in September, but there are so few of us now that there is some question as to whether or not to bother. Such a shame, IMHO, but then I haven't been thrilled with their selections lately and would just rather keep on reading the stacks I already have waiting.

Tomereader1

MarsGal, I visit Senior Learn every day, as I do S&F.  I'm always interested in what you all choose for discussion.  I am in two f2f book clubs  and that doesn't leave me a lot of time to come into SL and discuss. A lot of the selections are kind of "over my head".  I have approached this before, somewhere in the SL Library forum, and don't particularly relish the almost "line by line" parsing that happens there.  I realize that most of the SL's are highly educated, and I appreciate and honor that.
But in my advancing age, I prefer to read for  entertainment.  Of course, I learn a great many things from books that  normally would not be of my choosing. I will look in, and depending on the chosen book, I might join in.  And No, I haven't given up on Senior Learn.  It will be a crushing defeat if it goes down the tubes...so many different boards, are interesting to me, even if I can't or don't participate. 

Marilyne

MarsGal - The Weight of Ink sounds good, and I plan to put it on my library list, and give it a go. It sounds pretty deep and detailed, so I don't know if I want to deal with it at this time?  We shall see, once I get it home.  I don't care for light and fluffy, but I also get worn down with a story that's too heavy.

Tome - I enjoy following along with the SL book discussions, but I wouldn't feel comfortable adding my two-cents worth.  I haven't looked to see what books they're considering for September, but will take a look after I finish this message.  The last one was The Joy Luck Club, which I had read 20-30 years ago, and didn't care much for it at that time, but decided to read it again!  I wanted to like it, and I stuck with it, but when I finished, I felt pretty much the same about the story as I did so many long years ago.  The Chinese myths, superstitions and detailed stories were really lost on me, and I had a terrible time remembering which daughter belonged to which mother. 

Mary - I read the first two books by Khaled Hosseini . . . The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I liked "Kite Runner" okay, but found "Splendid Suns" to be too violent, sad and hopeless. When I finished it, I had no desire to every read anything else by him.  however, I'm very interested in what you think about, The Mountains Echoed?  Keep us posted. 

I hope your doctor gave you a "magic potion" today to help you get rid of that cold and cough?  Sounds like it's been hanging in there for too long.   

MarsGal

Marilyne, the book isn't as heavy as you might thing with all those subjects swirling around. Much is touched on, but most not in any real depth. It did make me want to know more (or refresh my memory) about certain subjects and events. The main characters are academics and intellectuals, a dangerous and often forbidden occupation for a woman in the 17th century.

Tome
, I don't mind the "parsing" so much because I like to read up on places and topics touched on and share that info. I am not always successful in keeping my posts as short as I'd like, though. Reading some of the extra long posts others post can get tedious, especially if there are more than one very long post to read. So, i am just as guilty as the others in that department.

Speaking of parsing, my Latin classes start up on the 14th. This year, after a year hiatus, I am in a class that likes to parse everything. Ginny loves parsing. I don't, never did. Was not good at it in high school. Don't like it any more now than I did then, and that was English. Think about the horror of parsing Latin.

I am down to the last two of my overwhelming pile of books that came in almost at once. I gave up on Andy Weir's Artemis at Chapter Three and just read the ending. The story follows a young, petty smuggler living in the Moon's only city. So, now I am listening to Komarr, the next in the Vorkosigan series I am reading/listening to, and back to finishing up the SciFi short story anthology that I had to renew. These two shouldn't take long to finish. After that, I haven't decided.

Marilyne

Lately, I've been having a hard time finding a book that I really want to finish.  Unusual for me, as I usually do have good luck with recommendations from either Goodreads or Off the Shelf, or from members in this folder.  This week I'm reading one recommended on Goodreads . . . Etta and Otto and Russell and James, by Emma Cooper.  It's about an 83 year old woman, who sets off to walk across Canada . . . from Saskatchewan to Nova Scotia.  The authors unique writing style is hard to understand, and the story itself is just not believable.  However, I will stick with it for now, because I'm curious to see if she makes it to Nova Scotia?

MarsGal - I looked into SL today, and couldn't get enthused over the selection for the discussion this month, so I'll not be following along as I often do.  I did see that Barb is reading a book that sounds intriguing . . . Behemoth, by Joshua Freeman.  I checked my library and they have it, so I'll pick it up in a few days.

MarsGal

I get that way sometimes, too, Marilyne. I usually just stop reading for a few days when that happens.

i am not overly excited about the choices either. I sometimes wonder where they come up with these choices. I am going to join in since the I can get the book at the library (we are going to do The Architects Apprentice) but may not finish as I have done for the last two books. Behemoth... is one I may read later, but not as a group discussion. I put it on my library wish list.

Right now, I am reading, but probably soon to drop, another SciFi. I am enjoying the humor, but can't seem to get real engaged with the story or the characters. I don't pick up much depth of character or emotion, kind of 'flat' I think.

I have two books on hold at the library that should be ready to pick up Fri. or Sat. One is the next one in the Vorkosigan series. The description makes the story sound a bit bizarre, but Bujold always seems to keep me engaged. The other is an old Jack McDevitt stand-alone, The Casandra Project which he wrote with Mike Resnick. I must remember to get his last Priscilla Hutchins entry which released in April. The Hutchins series is not my favorite. I am still hoping he has one more Alex Benedict book in him.

Tomereader1

Marilyne & Marsgal, I am having a tough time with reading, especially if it's just for my own enjoyment.  Marilyne, you know my situation, and I seem to have lost the ability to get into a book, follow the story, and get to the end of it.  I have still been reading on Grief/Recovery, which doesn't seem to fall into that category.  I am currently reading "The Widower's Notebook" by Jonathan Santlofer, and re-reading "the Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion, which I had actually read some years ago because it was a National Book Award winner.  The Widowers Notebook is, of course, from a man's point of view, and is so heart-wrenching to find that a man can be as totally lost, even moreso in some instances, by the loss of his spouse.  I think women should not let the title "Widower's Notebook" keep them from reading this book, if they are in the very early stages of grief.  The Didion book, on this my second reading, speaks to me in ways it did not when I first read it, being not yet widowed.  Don't mean to be a downer here! 
I also sometimes wonder where the titles come from in SeniorLearn's "Library" book discussions.  There was only one on the original list, that I might've been interested in reading/discussing,  and it was deep-sixed early on.  (I think it was "The Address")
But who knows. 
I actually have finished two "mystery books" that I had on my Kindle, although read in very short spurts.  I guess it is the "gotta know what happened and who dunnit" qualities that sort of held my interest. 
Oh, again my library has done me in,  three books came in from my requested list, which I figured would be a great while before arriving.  Maybe I can get into one or more of those, one is a mystery, one a plain ole novel.  Keep your fingers crossed, if I can finish any of them, I might, just might, have something to recommend to my dear readers here. 
Enough said.

Tomereader1

Callie, now that book sounds like something I would enjoy, and maybe even stick with to the ending.  But I won't be requesting it just anytime soon.  Got to slog through all these other books first.  And try to get my "reading hat on".  LOL

Marilyne

Tome - it will probably take a long time before you can enjoy just sitting down and reading for pleasure.  Don't try to rush things . . . just read whatever appeals to you now. I also remember reading The Year of Magical Thinking, back when it was a bestseller.  I'm sure I could not relate to it then, even though I remember liking it.  Even now, it would not have the meaning that it has for you, but I think I would enjoy reading it again.

Callie - The Address, sounds like a book that I will definitely enjoy reading.  I'm going to add it to my library list, and hope to get it this weekend.  The quote you posted from the OKC Library, is intriguing! The Dakota, goes all the way back to 1884?  I had no idea it was so old!  I don't know much about it, but have only read about it in stories over the years.  Of course we all remember that that is where John Lennon was living, when he was killed.  I think the Yoko Ono still lives there?   

CallieOK

I just discovered that my quote about "The Address" from the library description was the same as one on Fiona Davis' website.  So I've removed mine and am substituting a link to the one on her website.

http://www.fionadavis.net/the-addressnew/

You can also read about her other books there by clicking on the Books link.

I've also read "The Dollhouse", which is about the Barbizon Hotel for Women in NYC during the 1950's.  Also based on an historic place and, probably, "events of the day".

Think I'll put "The Masterpiece" on my e-book Wish List and read it when, like Tomereader,  I've finished the ones I currently think I'd like to read.

Wish I could keep from dozing off when I'm reading.  Couldn't be my age, could it?    ;D

Tomereader1

Callie, Ya' think?  I do that too.  My Kindle is pretty heavy when it lands on my chest, and semi-wakes me, so I can go to sleep!
I used to be able to read into the wee hours, especially if something is good.  Now, even if it's good, I fall asleep.  But...it beats insomnia.  Of course, there's always the nighttime call from the throne room, which disturbs even the best of sleep.  I also want to read "The Masterpiece" - - sounds really good doesn't it?

MarsGal

Oh gosh! Falling asleep on my reading. Yes! Doesn't seem to matter what time of day. I missed a dramatic scene, the climax of a kidnapping episode, when I fell asleep on the audio book I was listening to. I didn't go back to repeat it.

I remember hearing of the Barbizon Hotel when I was young. A hotel for women, strict rules about visitations by men and codes of conduct. In fact, when I was young I thought it was a charm school. https://bust.com/entertainment/15498-where-the-girls-are.html

All this just reminded me of Thoroughly Modern Millie, which was not based on the Barbizon. I haven't seen that movie in many years.

Sandy

I have just ordered "The Address"
and "The Dollhouse" from   MSL  (Maine State LIbrary
Talking Books) ....   

Thanks so much for the recommendations..

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

CallieOK

It's a "quack quack" day in central Oklahoma - gray, gloomy and very very wet.  I had all my morning chores done about an hour ago and settled into the recliner to read.  Would you believe the phone just woke me up!  (Of course, you would!  :crazy2: )

Sandy,  so glad you can get the audio books from the state library.  The Oklahoma State Library has the same service but, since I live in the metro OKC area,  I can borrow e-books (as well as audio books and magazines) from the Metro Library.   Such fun to finish a book and have a new one in the short time it takes to get it downloaded.

Tome,   I can still read into the "wee hours" although I try to discipline myself from thinking "just one more chapter".

Had to go on the Wait List for "The Masterpiece".   There are 8 people waiting on 2 copies.

Maybe I'll be  finished with "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry,  a Molly Murphy mystery by Rhys Bowen and a "chick lit" beach novel by Georgia Bockoven.......if I can keep my eyes open.

Happy Reading!

JeanneP

Glad to now read that others are having a hard time reading. I thought it was just me. I start a book and don't find it interesting at all, even if by a writer I have enjoyed in the past. I also seem to be falling asleep more. I thought I would quit taking a nap after the winter months but not working. Still taking them. Never make it past 9pm if I don't.
This hot summer has gotten to me. Yesterday 10l deg and today Storming with 69 deg. I am dreading thinking what winter will be like. I just have to see what will be happening in town that I can get out of the house more and involved in. The more friends I loose now is really making a difference.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Today I went to the library and picked up two books: The Address, and Behemoth.  As soon as I arrived home, I started reading "Address", and I was instantly taken with the story.  I can tell already that it's going to be a winner, for me.

Behemoth looks interesting too, and full of history.  It's been a while since I've been enthusiastic about any book, so it's nice to have two good ones to enjoy over this coming hot weekend! I doubt I'll be leaving the house, with temps expected to hit 100 degrees tomorrow, and then in the 90's on Sunday.

MarGal, Callie and Tome - I'm always interested in hearing about your audio books. Please tell me again what the different listening devices are that you all use?  Would my Kindle work? I know I've asked this before, but I'm embarrassed to say that I've forgotten. ::) :-[ ::)

JeanneP - Good to have you back with us.  Lots of good book recommendations here.  Check out a few of them from the library, and I think you'll find one or two that you like.  Now that the days are getting shorter, seems like there is more time to read.

MarsGal

Marlyne, I use my Kindle Fire Tabiet for my Audible audio books and for the ones I borrow from the library (my library uses the OverDrive app). I can also listen, with the Audible and OverDrive apps on my computer, although I don't care to.

There are several other lenders of EBooks, audio books and movies. Hoopla, for example, offers movies to stream as well as Ebooks and audio books. In northern California there is something called Library to Go. I don't know if they offer audio books. You should check with your library to see which service(s) your library uses and if they include audio books.

For other book lenders you may not need a library affiliation to borrow. I believe Open Library is one of them. Most or all of these  generally offer several different formats, so you don't need a Kindle. I expect that they or most of them only cover Ebooks, though.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I don't need audio books - yet! - but they are listed along with Kindle and e-books (separate categories) in the OKC Metro Library on-line catalog.   I can download them on my PC/Tablet (they'll show up on both).  Tablet isn't a Kindle.

Overdrive is the download for all the books, including the audio ones.
Hoopla is the download for movies available on loan from the library.  I haven't tried any of these, yet.
RBDigital (used to be Zinio) is the download for magazines.  I can choose a list of ones I want to read regularly and can be notified when a new issue is available. 
That list is currently growing. <sigh>

The "Behemoth" mentioned in SL isn't owned by my library but there are a couple of others listed with that title.  One is "the history of elephants".  I'd probably read that before I'd read the history of factories.   ;)

maryc

Lots of interesting titles being passed around here.    Also the discussion about the use of libraries' digital resources is interesting.    I've not been one to bring home an armful of books at a time and when I finish one of the ebooks it is so handy to just go to my list of favorites and download another in just seconds.  Our Hoopla app provides books, audio books and movies so that it is a good source of either media I decide I'd like at the moment.   Occasionally the movie of a particular book title will show up there and not the book.  I would prefer to read the book first but in a pinch I would see the film.  Sometimes when I feel too tired to read I can enjoy  a movie.    I am reading a novel now called The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes McCoy.  It is set in Ireland  in present times.    I just learned that there is also a sequel so perhaps I will follow up on that.   Easy reading!!
Mary C

JeanneP

Good day for reading. Finely stopped raining and now so cold I felt like turning the furnace on today. Did use a heater.
JeanneP