Random Image

British Fascinator

Owner: Lindancer
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryc

Marilyne,    I had to laugh at myself after I posted last time.   I was still upset about losing the first post and just wanted to get that one off so I neglected to include the title of the book. ::)    The book is the first of a series titled  My Father's World by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella.  I don't know whether I'll find the following ones or not but this one is  pretty good.  The style of writing almost makes me think it is written for young readers though it doesn't mention it.  It is easy reading and holds my interest because of the series of events.
Mary C

Marilyne

Mary - I'll add My Father's World, to my library list.  Not a lot of recent novels written about the Gold Rush, that I can think of? The oldies by Mark Twain and Brett Harte, are always fun to reread, but no newer ones that some to mind?

I finally finished Sold On a Monday, and I liked it a lot! I think I liked Before We Were Yours, a little better. They had a similar theme, but each written from a different perspective. I would recommend both books.

Today I plan to start reading The Ragged Edge of Night, by Olivia Hawker. I know that someone recommended it in this folder, but I'll have to scroll back to find out who it was? It looks good, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

CallieOK

The book column in my Sunday newspaper listed some biographies that sound interesting.  They are 2018 publications and, amazingly, were all available through the library e-book loans.  The ones listed in this column are usually snatched up by the time I get around to looking for them.

"My Days: Happy and Otherwise" by Marion Ross ("Mrs. C", the mom on "Happy Days"  I started this one last night.  Am liking the story but not yet sure how I feel about her!

"Jackie, Janet and Lee" by J. Randy Taraborerelli, about the former first lady, her mother and her younger sister.  I put this one on my Wish List and it will probably have to be "On Hold" by the time I get ready to read it.

"Eunice: The Kennedy Who Changed the World" by Eileen McNamara - about Eunice Kennedy Shriver.  Also put it on Wish List - probably more curious than interested  :)

"In Pieces" by Sally Field.  The column writer was giving suggestions for Christmas gifts and commented on this one, "Wrap it up with a DVD of "The Flying Nun" or a copy of "Smoky And The Bandit".

Need to limit my daytime reading time right now and hope I won't have any "just one more chapter" nights for a while.  ;) 

Marilyne

Callie - I'd like to get, In Pieces, by Sally Field.  I do find celebrity memoirs or autobiographies, to be fascinating reading. Here are some that I have read and enjoyed, that you also might like:

My Life So Far, by Jane Fonda. What a sad childhood she endured.  Then came her movie career, and a mixed variety of husbands and other men. Her life with Roger Vadim and Ted Turner, are most interesting.  She also talks about the Vietnam incident.

What Falls Away, by Mia Farrow. Interesting childhood, growing up in Beverly Hills. Then her teen years, very sheltered, in European boarding schools. She writes about her marriages to Frank Sinatra and Andre Previn, and relationship with Woody Allen. This memoir was written right after the scandal broke, about Allen and her adopted daughter, so not much about that.

As I Am, by Patricia Neal.  A long time since I read it, but I do remember that it was mostly about her long-lasting affair with Gary Cooper, their breakup, and then her marriage to Roald Dahl.

Million Dollar Mermaid, by Esther Williams. Because of her "clean-cut, good girl" movie roles, I always thought her as the innocent type, with high morals. I was wrong! ::)

Intermission, by Anne Baxter. An excellent memoir! After winning the Academy Award for "All About Eve", she met and married an Australian man, and moved with him to a Sheep Station, somewhere in the outback of Australia. Her life there was unbelievably difficult. I would love to read this again. It's been at least 25 years since I read it, but worth reading again.  It's probably out of print, but I plan to check my library.

JeanneP

I would like to read that again also. Intermission Let us know if you find it....
JeanneP

CallieOK

Thanks, Marilyne.  None were available in e-book loan except "My Life So Far".  I put it on my Wish List.
I was given an opportunity to recommend "What Falls Away" and did so.  The library often gets e-books it doesn't have that are recommended by a reader doing a search and will notify the reader when it becomes available. 
Had to chuckle when I typed Mia Farrow in the search space and "Rosemary's Baby" came up.  I guess she's mentioned in the Notes.

FlaJean

My daughter was getting rid of some books and gave me Barbara Walter's memoir that was published in 2008.  It's almost 600 pages but it is interesting.  I'm about half way.

maryc

This discussion about biographies has been interesting.  I read bios on occasion but not usually Hollywood celebs. 
Marilyne,   I read The Ragged Edge of Night a few months back and enjoyed the story. It really took you into the life of the German people at that time.    I thought that Sold on Monday was good because it involved the story of the careers of the newspaper people and the struggles they had, especially the young woman with a child. Thank goodness that the Women's Lib movement has made some things better for women in the workplace.   Daughter Debby loaned
me another book this week.   It is The Christmas Sweater by Glen Beck.   I wasn't a particular fan of his but this was a good little story for the Christmas season and had some really good messages woven into it.
Mary C

MarsGal

I've been reading on biography, of and on (even thought it is very interesting) about Alexandre Dumas' father called The Black Count: Glory, revolution, betrayal and the real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss. Not only am I learning about the Count's military career, but something of the politics and how blacks were treated in France, pre and post revolution. The other biography I am in the middle of is an Audiobook, Augustus by Adrian Goldsworthy. Goldsworthy is an expert in military history and one of my current favorite historians. As a side note, Goldsworthy is trying his hand with historical fiction these days starting with his first book called Vindolanda(Roman Britain). It is in my TBR Ebook pile.

JeanneP

This Morning I have watched the Funeral in Huston Tx. for George Bush. Lasted about hour and half. Was beautiful. The whole thing from the 3 hours yesterday . Don't think that will be another that will be so well done. Learned so much more about him. What a family he had.
JeanneP

SCFSue

I watched the Bush funeral, too.  I am a Democrat and never voted for him or for his son who also served as President, but I admired Bush 1 because of his demeanor, honesty, and ability to work with the Congress.  I consider him a true American Hero.

Sue

Marilyne

FlaJean - I read the Barbara Walters memoir. It was good - a real eyeopener.  I had no idea she came from such an unusual background. I think you will like it also. 

JeanneP

It is so cold here. Even the furnace has to be moved up. Going down to 11. Deg. Tonight.
Just going to wrap up in Afghan and watch TV. From 7 to 9 there is a 50s music show with the singers of that time. I should remember some of them.ber most will have passed.
JeanneP

Marilyne

I've started a number of books in the past few weeks, and then quickly discarded them after a couple of chapters. I was beginning to wonder if there were any out there that could capture my interest, when I got a notice from the library that, Night of Miracles, by Elizabeth Berg, was waiting for me.

I've read most of her books over the years, and have liked them all. Her style, and the way she looks at life, suits me very well. Some of the characters in her stories have made a lasting impression on me - especially my favorite, We Are All Welcome Here.  Others that come to mind are Dream When You're Feeling Blue, Durable Goods, and Open House.

I was disappointed in her last book, The Story of Arthur Truluv, because I thought she "borrowed" too many of her characters from other well known authors. It was a nice book but was unoriginal, too predictable, and was not up to her usual standards.  I decided to go ahead and order Night of Miracles, in hopes that it would be better, and it definitely is. It's light reading, which is good for this time of year . . . so far nothing that tears at your heart, like some of her earlier books. I'm only about half way through, and I'm really enjoying it.

Tomereader1

Are S&F using a new format here?  when I tried to get in, an unfamiliar screen showed up. Had to do "Search" and it showed a list of all the forums, and finally found this latest one for Library Bookshelf.  Is there something new I need to do?

Marilyne

Tome - You caught on quickly to the new format! It is a little confusing at first, but they say it's good for us old folks to learn something new! ::) The main thing that a lot of us are doing, is making our font/type, a bit larger, because lots of members have a hard time reading the small print.  If you want to make yours larger, look up above the "smiley's" in the reply box, at the two blue A's.  The one that has the red arrow line on the side, will allow you to make your font larger. Click on it, and you can choose the size you want.  The one I'm using is the the size-3.

I'm happy to see you here - it's been a long time since you last posted. Please come back and tell us what you're reading, or watching on TV?  I know that Christmas will be very sad for you this year. I'm glad that you have your daughter to be with you.     

JeanneP

Marilyn

I have tried that way to make mine larger 4 times but it will nit make mine larger. Way to small for me on high pad.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Tried that 4 times to make mine larger . Will not work. Just to small.
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - maybe you aren't writing your message between the two separate brackets?  Go to the Reply box, and above the line of Smiley Faces, you will see a box with two blue A's in it.  Click on the A with the red line on the left side. You will see numbers from 1 to 7, with 7 being the largest. If you click on one of those sizes, the number you selected will show up in your reply box. Then you begin writing between the two sets of  bracketed numbers.  Write just a sentence at first, and then click on PREVIEW, to see if the size is right.  If so, you can go back and continue on with your message.  It takes a little practice to get it right, so don't worry if it doesn't look perfect.  If it's not working for you, just use the regular type that you've always used.  Most of us can read it just fine.   

Marilyne

There's still time, for those of you who would like to read some good and meaningful Christmas fiction, before the big day arrives.  Here are a few book suggestions that you can get at the library, or for your Kindles and iPads.   I've read a few of them, and have others on my wait list at the library.

A Redbird Christmas, by Fanny Flagg - This one is a favorite of mine, that I read every year, during the holiday season. It's an inspirational story, that I think you all would enjoy.  This sentence, that I copied off of Amazon, gives a good, short description of the book: An enchanting Christmas story of faith and hope for all ages.

The Mistletoe Promise, and, The Christmas Box, by Richard Paul Evans - I'm probably the only one in this folder who has not read any books by Evans. I would like to, and right now I have both of these on order at the library. 

The Christmas Train, by David Baldacci - As most of you know, this story was made into a good Hallmark Movie.  I've seen the movie, but I've never read the book.  I hope to read it this year.

The Deal of a Lifetime, by Fredrick Backman.  This is a new book by Backman, author of the very popular book, A Man Called Ove.  I haven't read it, and likely won't this year, because the wait list at the library is extremely long! 

One Day in December, by Josie Silver.  I don't know anything about this story, except that it is recommended in the, Reese Witherspoon Book club.  I've read a couple of her recommendations, and have liked them a lot.  Her book club is very much like the original Oprah Winfrey Book Club. 

Anyone who has read any of these book selections, let us know what you think of them?

maryc

About Christmas fiction:  I've read A Redbird Christmas by F. Flagg.  Anything I've read by her has been very enjoyable.  I haven't read The Mistletoe Promise but did read The Christmas Box quite a while back, in fact it is part of my collection.  I noticed The Mistletoe Promise on Hoopla but passed that one up for another by Evans titled The Gift.  It was a little different Christmas story , but the one that was really different and made you laugh and cry was called Not Just Another Christmas Story by Michael Cinquanti Sr.  This was another Brooklyn story, this time not the Irish but Italian.  My growing up years were in an Italian neighborhood so that the references to the typical family reactions was a good time of reminiscing for me.  I have The Christmas Train in my Christmas book collection.   That was good!!  I haven't read the others. A couple others from my bookshelf are Shepherds Abiding by  Jan Karon and A Christmas Blizzard by Garrison Keillor.   Several years ago I decided that I would like to collect Christmas stories so I started to buy myself one each year.  There are about 10 of them now.  It's a fun little special collection.
   I haven't been posting here for a while because daughter Debby is moving this week and we have been spending most days packing up her things and last weekend we starting carting the boxes and small furniture over to her new  place.  It will be nice when finished but it has been pretty chaotic.   Christmas has kind of gone on the back burner except for gifts for the family.  Neither of us has done much decorating.   Her house is torn up and I just haven't had too much heart for it so we are just kind of getting through it.   She has had her regular music programs and I've attended which add a nice feeling to the season.
Mary C

JeanneP

Still can't get it to print larger
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - Bubble can explain things a lot better than I can. Go to the FYI section of Seniors and Friends, and ask Bubble or Oldiesmann, and they can help you.  Click here >>> https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=631.msg146294#new

Marilyne

Mary - Thanks for some good suggestions for Christmas reading.  Not Just Another Christmas Story sounds good and different. I'll check my library and see if they have that one.  There is a long wait list for all of the Richard Paul Evans books, as well as the new Backman book.  (Ove author) I think it's the first Christmas book he's written.  My daughter sent me an email last night that she had just watched The Mistletoe Promise, on Hallmark, and she really liked it. Now I want to scroll through the movie guide on the Hallmark Channel, in hopes that it will be playing again before Christmas.

Not a great time of year for Debby to move to a new house . . . but I know that you have to go when something becomes available that you want.   Is she renting a place, or buying?  Both of my daughters are renters.

I'm hoping to get to Tuesday Morning today, to look at bed pillows for both daughters for Christmas presents.  I can't handle the big department stores anymore, like Penney's or Macy's.  It isn't the walking that bothers me as much as standing in the long lines at the check out counters!

MarsGal

I forget the title off-hand, but I read, this morning, a Christmas short story in Jack McDevitt's new book of short stories about a young girl who, against her father's wishes, took down their Christmas tree and set it up in the ruins of a long dead civilization on a planet far, far away because she thought they should have a Christmas too. Lovely, little story.

JeanneP

Marilyne.
Now got the size where I want it to be. It was that way for years but about 3 weeks ago got so small could not read it. I never did anything to make it happen. Thanks for help.
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP, the size of your type is fine.  Don't worry about changing it.  We can all read it okay! :thumbup: