Random Image

BossCallie and PitBull

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of September 11

Started by JoanFL, September 11, 2016, 05:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's breakfast crepes to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her lovely “Sweet Woodruff” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

In Flight

On a flight to Florida, I was preparing my notes for one of the parent-education seminars I conduct as an educational psychologist.

The elderly woman sitting next to me explained that she was returning to Miami after having spent two weeks visiting her six children, 18 grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren in Boston. Then she inquired what I did for a living.

I told her, fully expecting her to question me for free professional advice.

Instead she sat back, picked up a magazine and said, "If there's anything you want to know, just ask me."

Food For Thought
Sanctification Is Gentle

By Keith Mannes
Scripture Reading: Matthew 11:28-30

I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:29
My friend Ron was miserable; he was inwardly tormented. He explained this to me late one night, by his backyard pool, with the waterfall gently babbling. There, in the darkness, he told me his story:
When he was about 13 years old, Ron started getting into trouble, and he got caught. “So,” he said, “my dad starts hitting me. He drags me upstairs to my room and throws me to the floor. I’m lying there, bleeding. Then he takes a Bible, slaps it into my chest, and tells me I need to memorize the Bible so I will stop sinning. Then he leaves, slamming the door.”
Neither Ron nor I spoke for quite a while, as the pool’s little waterfall gurgled like a fountain. Jesus, God, the Bibleâ€"and fists. A bleeding boy on the floor, trying to memorize the Bible so he won’t get hit again.
Now, let’s get this straight: No one can beat sanctification into you. Preachers cannot shout it into you. No one can frighten someone into it. You cannot force it onto someone else. It is God’s workâ€"and God’s alone. It is good, and it is done with gentleness.
In giving us the image of a yoke (usually used with a pair of oxen for pulling), Jesus shows us the truth of his lordship. This is his gift of gently guiding us into a life of peace, love, and joy. As hard as that may be to accomplish, we need to disregard anyone who has tried to beat religion into us.
Lord, come to me and lead me. I really want your true and gentle lordship. Bless me, and heal my wounds. In your name I pray. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“When you blame others, you give up your power for growth and change.”

~ Dr. Robert Anthony

:smitten:

Vanilla-Jackie

JOAN.....
...good Sunday morning....Yes indeed..." Sweet Woodruff..." thank you PHYLLIS...
..Now that stone bench looks identical to the one I - we left behind for the benefit of our house purchasers, oh how I loved sitting on that bench and facing the trees, birds and the field to our back, often having cows and newborn calves going about their business In it...
" There is no present like the time "

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  It's going to be a lovely day in Central PA with a high temp of only 79!  I'm sure we'll still have a few hot weeks but it looks like a nice one coming up.

I'm not sure how much I'll be in here today...lots going on today.  I hope you all have a peaceful Sunday.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

We had tornado warnings out for last night along with hail and thankfully we didn't get either one.

A day of rest here,will go and feed momma deer and her twins and then home.

Yesterday we had a lovely day visiting a local market  seeing and smelling all the delicious foods..and some even followed us home.

Phyliss, I would love to sit on the bench and have my tea!

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.. :thumbup:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Gloria

Good morning everyone, for a change I woke early and finally feel rested. Only took a week to feel this way. Both sons were here yesterday at different times. #2 son was here in the morning and brought me a French pork pie. The place that makes them is only opened on week ends and does a great business. #1 son came in the afternoon and brought me some nice fresh Mac apples. He had gone to his favorite farm  and bought a bag of them and other produce. If course I had to have an apple ASAP. Oh so good.

CALLIE  I never heard of the WPW before. Thank God you lived when you are at that time.

JOAN  the rain yesterday did not last long and it was just an overcast hot and humid day. Will be happy when I can finally put the AC away for the season. So tired of listening to it but glad I have it.

JUNE  glad your BP is doing better. This place is too quiet on week ends, not like 2 years ago when I moved here. All those who used to get together on the porch are still here but seem to just stay in their apartments now. I have not walked th parking lot in over a month, been way to hot and I do not get out there before the sun is beating down on the pavement. HP only brought this machine back to the original, been done 5 times now. I am tired of having to install things again. Still have several things to install but not rushing it. I have told every one I talked to there to put me in touch with someone about returning for a refund but told they cannot do that. Darn that outsourcing of jobs where we seldom or ever talk to someone in the USA.

HAL   blame the missing sunglasses on the gremlins.

GLORIA de  wish I was able to wear a sweater. We broke a record for a hot day in the 90's here on Friday, too. Like you I respond when asked how I feel I tell them OK, can;t complain, no one wants to hear it anyway. They almost all say the same thing. There are a few older than me here who walk and drive and are always busy.  When I see them I think they are fortunate. Getting so more and more are using rollators now. Only have one in a wheel chair, the result of a stroke.

JACKIE  I do not respond to every one every day. Some days I do not respond to many at all. I am sorry if you feel I ignore you but I never intend to ignore anyone. I will try to do better. I never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings.

MARY ANN  the water in this town comes from artesian wells and is good. Best water I ever tasted was in Arizona at my SIL's aunt's home. Don't know what that source was.

SUN  what a nice surprise seeing you this morning. You have been missed. Sorry your hand still is not healed.

LLOYD  I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy. Mowing the yard is not doing that.

JACKIE  there are too many TV programs here I will not watch because they show too much and the language is terrible. What ever happened to the decent family programs we had.

PHYLLIS  thank you for the  beautiful graphic and text. Wonder if there is Sweet Woodruff to be had around here.

JOAN  will enjoy breakfast this morning.  LOL with In Flight, guess that lady knew a lot about children. Food for Thought, so true, you cannot force anyone to believe. Trying will make them turn away. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  I would love to sit on that bench with my coffee and watch the sunrise.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JoanFL

Good morning Vanilla-Jackie.  I'd love sitting on a bench similar to the one in Phyllis' graphic and having coffee/tea with you.

Janie--Good morning.  It's nice you weather has cooled down.  Enjoy all that's going on with you.

Good morning Amy.  Sure glad you didn't get any of that nasty weather.  I'm sure momma deer and the twins like to see you coming with food.  Did you put some of the delicious food from the market in the "hidey hole"?

Gloria--Good morning.  How nice that both sons visited and brought you a treat.  It'd be nice if we could all really get together and sit on that bench.  It's hot and humid here and will be for quite some time.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Just marking my spot and fixing to go in and scrape my face and brush my teeth and see if I can make myself presentable.  Got the coffee on and it should be ready shortly.  For those that want a cup, come on over and sit on the patio, not quite daylight here, must be cloudy out.

Early morning is always the best time of the day.  Quite and restful.  It kinda prepares you for the day, I think.

Got to get a move on.

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  I'll have my second cup of coffee since you have it brewed.

Joy

Good morning, and all the friends who stopped by this morning.

Thanks, Joan, for the good breakfast.  I love crepes.   Once in a while I will make myself a couple.  Not really "real" crepes but little thinner  pancakes and fill them with fruit and whipped cream. 

Gloria, where I live, the weekends are really "dead" also.  You don't hardly see anyone.  Although, I was asked to play cards last night. I have seen it mentioned on the calendar, but didn't think anybody really played.  The calendar we get each month is filled with activities, but not many people participate.  There are still a few that sit out in the evening.  Although, now it is getting dark so early, don't  have a whole lot of time to visit.

Today is a day of sadness for our whole country.   I hope nobody ever forgets.

I have nothing special to do today, except the normal everyday chores.  Those won't take me long and then maybe a nap will show up.

Have a good Sunday.

Joy

BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi everyone on this Sunday morning.  It is already up to 80 degrees and it is just a little after 8 am.  There is a chance for some isolated thundershowers, which would be most welcome.  I didn't get the car out of the garage yesterday but stayed home and got 8 of the 9 things I had on my To Do list done.  It was a busy and productive morning.  Today I just plan on going to Sunday School and Church and bringing something home for our main meal of the day.  I will prepare Pat's breakfast if she gets up before I have to leave in about an hour.  She wants me to fix some scrambled eggs this morning. If she doesn't get up in time I will get her sausage muffins ready for the microwave.  I have already peeled an orange which we decided last evening we would share this morning.  I did watch some of the football games yesterday and last evening but two of the teams I was pulling for lost while two more I am following won.  I will probably watch some of the pro games this afternoon.

Hal, we have played the Hands and Foot card game over the years.  It was always what we played when we visited with Pat's Aunt and Uncle in Kansas City.  We have played it other places as well.  I have played Canasta type games for over 65 years. 

Joan, I wish my cardiologist had told me to drink lots of water rather than restricting the amount I drink each day.  I am adjusting but it is not something I like. 

Joy, we prefer the Dollar Tree store to the Dollar store. 

Gloria, I agree with you that sugar or an equivalent is found in many things we eat.   

June, I had a shock last evening when I took my blood pressure to see if I should take one particular pill and I found it was 148/77, which is unheard of for me.  I had just finished dinner and had been moving around a lot clearing the table and loading the dish washer. For years my blood pressure has been around 90/60 or 100/60 or lower.  It was OK this morning but the lower number was over 65, which would make my cardiologist happy.

Sun, sure good to see your posting. 

mycheal, thanks for that very fine 9/11 posting. The world changed that day.

Joy, I have been a very active participant in Al-Anon for the last 10 years and it has changed my outlook on life and brought serenity into my life, even during very dark times.  Sure glad your son found sobriety and is doing well. 

phyllis

Good morning to each and everyone.  So good to have Sun back and will love to see whatever she "pecks" out for us while that hand is healing.  Sincerely hope that will be soon.

Joy, I know you are so proud of your son.  He fought a hard battle and won.  And you, too, Larry.  The feeling of peace and serenity that you have come to know is well deserved.

I'm pleased that you like the Sweet Woodruff graphic.  Many of the parks, and the entrance to our library, have herb gardens and one of the common herbs growing there is Sweet Woodruff.  It has a delicate little white flower that is so pretty.  As for the concrete bench...I envy you, Jackie, that you at one time had such a bench in your yard (garden) that you could enjoy.  Oftentimes, those benches will be in a cemetery here in the U.S. and even though it sounds a little weird, I love to sit there and enjoy the peaceful quiet.  But, I don't usually sit for long.  Those benches are hard on the backend!

Nothing planned today so will just cool it and maybe watch the men's final in the U.S. Tennis championship. 

phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Good morning, Joy.  I haven't had a crepe in years, but I used to love them.  It's too bad more people don't participate in the activities offered where you live.

Larry--Good morning.  You were busy yesterday if you had that many things on your "to do" list.  Sorry you have to restrict your water intake.  And I'm told I must drink more.

Good morning, Phyllis.  We have several small parks in our development and they have those concrete benches sans the Sweet Woodruff.

JaneS

I'm in between things today.  Church is over and it's too early to meet Bridget so I'll see to the doggies and relax a bit before I take off.  Still wishing Everyfriend a good day!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

I relay slept in this Morning,woke up at 9 AM. here is a lift up for you all ( especially when you are feeling down)

Www.youtube.com/embed/svzPm8lT36o?feature=player_detailpage

Lloyd
you may have to coppie and paste

Radioman34

Hello world. Finishing my morning coffee as I prepare for my departure for the studio. It certainly is a day of sad remembrance as we recall the horrors of 911.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

This is a day of Remembrance... one of those "where were you when....." days.   

It's also Miss Emily's 22nd birthday.

Cookies are ready to take to church.   I put some more in the hidey-hole.

Behave yourselves and have a lovely day  (or is that a "contradiction of terms" ?  ;) ).

Also:   HAPPY GRANDPARENTS DAY to those who are...

JoanFL

Janie--Enjoy your time with Bridget.

Good morning, Lloyd.  Thanks for the link--amazing what that man can do.

Radioman--Good morning.  I'll be tuning in as I observe Remembrance Day.

Good morning, Callie.  Happy 22nd birthday to Miss Emily. Thanks for the cookies you put in the "hidey hole".

Amy

Joan, I added to the delights in the hidey hole. Cranberry scones, butter pecan tarts and oatmeal raisin cookies. 
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

June Drabek

Good Morning dear friends, This could be a very sad day of remembrance..it is still clear in my mind and heart..those that perished are surely in Heaven and at peace, and we that are here have hopefully learned a clear lesson, to never give in to despair. We must always remain strong and go forward, to make it a world acceptable to God. It is our duty.

Phyllis, thank you for the peaceful scene of the Sweet Woodruff. I have never personally seen it growing. It strikes me as being more of England origin . It surely is profuse in growth.

Must get myself ready for Church, so I shall return later. June
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Shirley

Thank you, Lloyd, that was very up-lifting! 

Had to look up Sweet Woodruff, Phyll.... do not think I have ever seen it. Google has some beautiful photos of it.  Thanks for furthering my education!

Been a long time since I baked cookies, Callie..... most of the time I get volunteered to bring the main menu.  I think I sort of ask for it when I offer.  (Not really, happens that way, tho). Happy Birthday to Miss Emily... always will be remembered on her day, won't it?  We had a plane go down in a residential area in Wichita on my birthday shortly after we moved here.... quite a few killed and I remember every year since.  Happy Gr-parents Day to you, too.  Are you floating down there?  The river is high but been higher, lots of flooding all around.

Jackie, I'm another that doesn't comment to everyone all the time because I get carried away & posts are much too long.... doesn't mean I don't think about what you say & in my head am talking to you.  When you mentioned losing height & blaming MS, I wanted to tell you "it's an age thing" 'cause I think all of us will admit to losing an inch or two (and my measurements sound just like yours.... stretching & still couldn't make 5'2" in the old days and shorter now).  I really don't know much about MS but think some of what you deal with is this age thing .... and that does not mean I wouldn't do the same as you.... I am always cheering everyone on for doing any exercise to strengthen muscles in arms or legs and bite my tongue to keep from giving you a pep talk to "sit in your chair & do leg and arm lifts with weights".... but I really don't know if your physical therapist does recommend it for people with MS.  So now that I've gotten that off my chest.....  :angel4: :cheer: :dontknow: :sealedlips:  (I know, I am bad & repeat way too often about my "home" remedies).

Larry, I rarely go to the Dollar stores since discovering the Dollar Tree.... that is such a fun place & I can find so many things before I get out... that I didn't know I needed before going in~ 

Hal, Joan & all wishing for rain, WE had our share & yours the last few days.  Lucky for us this sandy soil just slurps it up & drains away, but I had to dump pool water 2 days in a row because it was running over the top.  Can't complain because the trees were starting to drop leaves from not enough water going deep enough to sustain all the leaves (what the nursery man said). 

Gloria, we had several nights cool enough to open doors for fresh air.  Earthquake the first night... sure rocked harder because the door was open (slider).  Down side is Tom & Tiger think that means they can come to the open door & in & out any time they please.  Like a robot, I get up & let them in & back out.  I catch up on sleep during the day so just a timing change for sleep.  Glad for a little cooler days, was getting tired of lecturing myself about whining about the heat & humidity... and having to listen to myself as well!  Our time will come.....by the way, was trying to remember what worked for your eyes (color, size, etc) & JaneS best, remind me?

June, I have a special favor to ask of you today... my "Daughter-in-love",  as Amy says, said this morning that her mother's doctor called to tell her it is about time they move her mother here (she lives in FL), Alzheimer's is rearing it's ugly horns and she is going down hill fast.  DIL has checked on quite a few places here but after your glowing reports of the place where you stay (they hope she can enter as not assisted living at first), if they have places in Wichita, KS..... I don't remember the name you posted but thought you mentioned Mennonite care and it does sound like a very special place.  The doctor thinks she is isolating herself staying in her own home and would benefit being with people.  We have a large Mennonite community near Wichita (Yoder,KS), so naturally, I thought they might have a retirement community but would like to recommend one like yours.  Not sure if they have online maps of their locations but thank you for any advice. 

And I do go on.... nearly lunch time.  I cooked a big pot of beans with ham shanks (my "little" butcher convinced me to try shanks instead of ham hocks.... he was right, big difference & I have not bought hocks since).  I love coleslaw with beans & ham & fried potatoes.... but will settle for beans & maybe biscuits.  May settle for bread if I don't get off here pretty quick!  WE WILL REMEMBER THIS DAY.... God Bless!

halkel

Shirley, Shirley, Shirley.  What's wrong with you Lady?  Corn bread is the only bread that goes with beans and also onions, makes no difference if it is fresh green onions and you just cut up one.  So long as you got some.  And don't forget to put a lot of butter out for the corn bread........ ;)  Your welcome...... :)

Joy

Larry and Phyllis,  I do appreciate your special and kind remarks.   I have 3 sons, but the youngest one (soon to be 52) happened to get involved with a different era of the oldest two.  He did have a rough couple years, but stuck with the program and I am happy that all turned out well.  He is a good guy and hard worker. 

Larry,  I don't go to any of the Ala-non meetings now, but a lot of what I learned there has helped me through a lot of rough times.  I got so much out of those meetings, but my husband wasn't into them at all. He was a very disciplined person and thought if you really wanted to do something, you could do it.   Doesn't always work that way, does it?

Thanks again.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

SHIRLEY....
...at present I have no one, re, no MS team whatsoever, no continenece nurse, no physiopherapist, no MS consultant follow up...I shan't harker on as I know that wont get me anywhere....this is something I am left with to deal with by myself...at the moment my MS is going through a bad stage, and Isolation is starting to set in...I will say no more...

GLORIA...
...it would sure be a sad day if we both stopped watching Coronation Street because of how it is now getting, I have followed this soap for years, but we both agree if it gets any worse, becomes even more graphic...we might not have a choice, just hope others complain and they get rid of the writers, as they seem to change them so often...I always see a different or new name come up on the screen in the edits...

PHYLLIS...
....oh, I couldn't ever sit on one of those stone benches without a padded seat cushion...The green checked cushion you might just spot in my old avatar photo is the green padded cushion I used when sitting on that stone seat, I brought that with me and it now fits comfortably on this old white rusted bench that previous owners left behind for us...

Oh I am not expecting everyone to make daily or regular comments to all posts I post, or to expect everyone to even make a comment, I dont do that myself but, as and when I will make a comment back to a comment that has been made to me, but even then some do slip through my fingers after I have read them, my short term memory is getting like a sieve...
" There is no present like the time "

Shirley

Hahaha, Hal, you are SO right!  How could I forget... only been 3 years since I made cornbread, the white meal kind you bake in a very hot cast iron skillet with plenty of Crisco so the bottom (that becomes the top when you flip it out of the skillet) has that crunchy texture.  I didn't grow up with that kind but my southern husband did & I had to learn how or else!  Good stuff but can't make for just one person.  Those onions were also part of the package, I do recall. 

Joy, my youngest (daughter & then 2 boys) grew up with a "cloud" over him... seemed so many temptations at that time... is also 52.  Finally successful, like yours.  I totally agree with how you handled it.

And I'm off to heat a plate of beans.... without cornbread but mouth watering at the thought, thanks a bunch, Hal.... I was happy with just beans until you brought up the rest of the menu.   :knuppel2:

Jackie.... I do feel for you with the lack of medical organization you are dealing with right now, just hoped to let you know that some of your problems could be "age" and not MS.... My daughter hates it when I remind her that "AGE" is or can be a factor in some of her problems and not just Crohn's.  Believe it or not, AGE is kind of an ugly word right now, huh?

Amy

Shirley and Hal, you both made my mouth water, love beans and cornbread!!!

Shirley growing old is not for sissies..I get so frustrated with myself  as I am always forgetting.good part is I get lots of exercise going back for what I forgot!!
Jimmy Dean

angelface555

Good morning from a clouded Interior!

I was feeling queasy yesterday, yawning with lots with watering eyes and runny nose. It was enough to believe I had a new allergy. However, it better be a cold from my Friday's outing, I just refuse to let another allergy into my life! I went to bed at 5:37 PM and slept until 8:47AM.

Today there is a Fall Cook Out in the Parking Lot from 12 to 2 with hamburgers, hotdogs and the like, put on by the company that I am debating on whether to go or not. I am one of those that likes to play hermit or gets caught up in other things and forgets all about the activity! We just had a Labor Day potluck in the social room. Fall starts up with all the clubs and social events that run through the winter.

Farrah received a new paper bag Thursday, and she is busy tossing in her felt toys, growling while she goes and drags them out and growling and hissing while she sat up on her haunches and threw them about!  She has also jumped upon the window table and thrown them off with a jerk of her head. I know these poor felt toys are long dead by now!  ::)  ;D

Two things we need to remember, We are not in our "Golden Years" We are rusting out! And two, there are many ways to bake many types of beans, but the sauce and the accompaniments always need a type of hot sauce or spicy mustard for me! With parents from Kansas and Missouri, we were introduced to many types of beans, multiple times!

JoanFL

Amy--Thanks so much for all the goodies you left in the "hidey hole".

June--For sure a day of remembrance, and I am sure there will be prayers said in church to remember.

Shirley--Please send us some rain.  You can keep the cornbread.  I don't like it but did make it when Ray was alive--he loved it.

Vanilla-Jackie--Good thing you kept that padded cushion.

Joy--GREAT that your son made it through a most difficult time.

Angelface--Hope you perk up and decide to get out for the picnic.

CallieOK

Home from church and dinner.    I think the multitude of Brownies may have been too much competition for my Lemon cookies - but I left them because I know that all leftover cookies are put in the freezer for the Youth Gatherings.

Shirley,  no washing away here - but a few more quakes now and then.
I'll bake all the cookies you want or need if you'll make the main dishes!!!!!!!

I also learned to make cornbread for my Mississippi born and bred husband.  Rule #1 for real Southern Cornbread:  NO SUGAR!!    He liked to fix a bowl of cornbread and buttermilk.
(Speaking of "fixing":  that's a Southern term - used instead of "getting ready to....".  The first time he told me he was "fixin' to carry his Mother back to work",  I broke out in giggles.  The mental image was just too much! 

Angelface,  I love reading about Farrah!   She must be so much fun to watch when she's entertaining herself.

JoanFL

Callie--When we moved from NY to Arkansas and a coworker said she was "fixin' to carry her mother to the doctor", I too giggled.  Another term I wasn't familiar with was "sweet milk".  I thought to myself--these people put sugar in their milk.  Then it was explained that they called regular milk that in contrast to buttermilk.  Several also crumbled cornbread into a glass of buttermilk for a "treat".  Ugh!!