Random Image

Bougainvillea blossom

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of November 6

Started by JoanFL, November 06, 2016, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JoanFL

Good Sunday morning, Everyfriend.  There's a breakfast crockpot casserole to go with your coffee or tea.  Have a blessed Sunday.

Thanks to Phyllis for her nice “November” graphic creation which we are using this week.

Chuckles

Things You'll Never Hear a Teacher Say

9. "Thank goodness for these evaluations. They keep me focused."

8. "I'd like to see Red Lobster throw down a meal like this!"

7. "I can't BELIEVE I get paid for this!!!!"

6. "Here class...just put all your gym shoes in this box next to my desk."

5. "I bet all the people in our administration really miss teaching!!"

4. "Gosh, the bathroom smells so fresh and clean!"

3. "It must be true...the school news said so!"

2. "I think the discipline around here is just a LITTLE too strict!!"

1. "It's Friday already!!!"

Food For Thought

Can Adultery Be Committed Online?
(by Dave Clark)

A letter from an anonymous woman to an Italian magazine's advice column recently created a buzz in Rome. It read: "On the Internet, you can fall in love, you can seek, you can truly desire. I ask myself, what difference is there for the Church between a real extra-marital affair and a virtual one?"

A priest, responding, said adultery is adultery, even if it is virtual. Newspapers in Rome have been awash with reaction since.

Glenn Stanton, author of Why Marriage Matters, sides with the priest's response. "It's the matter of the heart and the matter of the soul that really does matter," said Stanton, who thinks Internet chat rooms are breaking up marriages around the world.

"It's about not being faithful to your partner in giving your heart, your feelings, your emotions to somebody else. Whether or not that's done physically is, in some ways, of small consequence."

Jesus, in Matthew 5:27-28 said: "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (NIV).

Steve Hewitt, editor of Christian Computing Magazine, echoed that cyber-romance can be problematic.

"I think the Internet's ability to establish anonymous relationships over distance is a very dangerous thing to the present relationships we have," Hewitt said.

Added Stanton: "Although there isn't a meeting of bodies, there's a meeting of souls, which is really what Christ was getting at, in some sense, of what adultery is all about."

Forty percent of Italian women responding to a follow-up survey feared their husbands might find a woman more interesting than them while surfing the Web. No word yet, though, on husbands' fears over their wives being led astray.

In today's "social networking" world with sites like Facebook where it is easy to find and connect with people - including people you may have been romantically involved with earlier in your life - this is even more common of problem.

Thought of the Day

"Lukewarmness is the Christian's Achilles heel. We cannot lead anyone to Christ who is more committed to the world than we are to Jesus."

- Joe McKeever

:smitten:

phyllis

phyllis
Cary,NC

JoanFL

Sorry I am so late.  My internet was down from yesterday afternoon until about 15 min. ago.

JoanFL

Good morning, Phyllis.  Yes--see above.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on this beautiful cool 44 degree Sunday morning here in South Carolina and only to get up into the mid-70's this afternoon.  I am almost ready for church but it will be a little while before time to go.  I did remember to set my clock back last night before I went to sleep.  The three college football teams I follow won their games yesterday.  I will watch some Pro-footfall this afternoon.  Nothing of note to mention regarding yesterday as it was a quiet day.

Gloria, every once-in-a-while Pat will put her spices in alphabetical but it is hard to keep them this way as there are so many bottles.  Before we moved here she had them on little raised plastic inserts in the cabinet and it was easier than on this turn table. 

Callie, I expect they just put up a barricade at 2 pm so that no more voters would get in line.  At least that is the way I remember them doing it in Georgia.  If you were in line at the given hour you were allowed to vote. 

Lloyd, sorry to learn that your chin strap on your CPAP didn't work for you.   

Joan, a beautiful graphic that Phyllis made for us and thanks for selecting it as just right for this time of the year. 

CallieOK

Good Morning.    I wake up 7 hours after I went to sleep - even if that does mean I'm up an hour earlier than I intended to be.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere a lovely day.

Amy

Good morning

Glad to see your up and running now Joan.

I was up early ,got laundry on the go and started some ribs to have for lunch. They were cooking overe night in the crockpot and now in the oven covered/slathered with bbq sauce.Vegetables are all ready to cook and I think I will make some bread to have with our meal..

Going to be another lovely day here,sun is shining and temps will warm up some.

Phyliss ,beautiful graphic!

Joan thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  It's sunny here and in the 70's.  I was ready to tear my hair out when the TV, phones and internet all went down yesterday.

Callie--Good morning.  Imagine that!!  You are up earlier on Standard Time.

Good morning, Amy.  Your lunch sounds good.  Do you supposed you could put some in the hidey hole?:)

Gloria

Good morning everyone, well if the clocks weren't turned back I would have slept late this morning, but 7:30 really is not late for a retired person.

JOAN  weather has not been normal for a couple of years now and early warmth made the trees blossom and then a late freeze killed the blossoms and this year it was the gypsy moths that ate every thing in site. My son is not the only one to be hurting.
That French dressing is what I grew up on.

CALLIE  glad I no longer stand in those long lines to vote.

SHIRLEY  I have a flat skillet that I used for pancakes. My problem is I cannot stand to make them. Then the counters and stoves in here are not for short people like me either.  I had a square cast iron fry pan I loved and got to the point I could not pick it up with both hands. My daughter now has it. I will stay independent in voting. I will not get into my feelings about politicians. You have your Mary Poppins wish and I wish Samantha was here to twitch her nose and every thing would be clean and food to tempt me would appear.

JACKIE  every time I go to my son's home I look for their dog, that one I always called mine. When I was there he was like my shadow. I still miss her very much and it has been 5 years since she crossed the rainbow bridge.

AMY  I cannot buy jeans or slacks that do not have to be shortened. Last time my daughter was here she shortened 8 pairs for me.

PHYLLIS  your graphic for this week looks like the trees here now, even to the colors. Not many bright colors left but still beautiful. Thank you for sharing you your talent every week.

JOAN   You are here late today, hope you are OK and forgot to change your clocks. I have copied your chuckles to send to my daughter. I know she will chuckle with them. Food for Thought is one more people should read and pay attention to. Thank you for all today's goodies.
Just saw your comment to Phyllis. Darn internet at times.

LARRY  in my cabinets here I have sliding trays and I have my spices on one of them. Much easier to keep them alphabetical now.

AMY  no sunshine here yet and it rained overnight. I only know because my windows were wet when I pulled up the shades.  What time is lunch? I want to be there in time.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Amy

Oh yes Joan and Gloria, lots to go round. I always cook too much anyway...guess that's the farm cooking in me! Hot apple pie and vanilla ice cream too in the hidey hole.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Gloria.  Your son and his apple orchard sure have been fighting Mother Nature the last couple years.  You and others sure are organized with your spices.  Mine are in a drawer.:)

Amy--What a delicious meal.  Thanks for sharing.

CallieOK

Joan,  I never was very good at math!    :crazy2:

JoanFL

Callie--I was pretty good at math, but if you add an hour to my day it equals 25 hours--something wrong there.:)

Shirley

I've checked in 3 times so far this morning to see if any news from June.  I did say extra prayers for her, and prayers for all Friends as I did get to church a little early.  Like Callie, my body said "enough" and I got up.

Amy, that apple pie sounds SO good.  My mother used to say that her gr-mother (that had a big influence on her since her mother ... gr-mother's daughter, died when Mom was only 7) loved apple pie for breakfast.  She said that apples & the dough & sugar just came in a different form.  I approve of her message!   ;)  Would love some of your ribs.... one thing I will never try to fix again.  Failures every time & my ego can't stand another~  I also don't do brisket or that fantasy fudge.  I've suffered enough humiliation for a life time!  Now I am prepared to just be an appreciator....

Ah, Gloria, I forgot about Samantha & would be just as happy if she showed up at my house.  I need help beyond human kind.  About those pants that need to be cut off, last time my daughter was here I was rushing to get dressed & pulled on the wrong pair of slacks & didn't have time to dig out the ones I thought I had so rolled up a couple hem lengths & apologized for not having them hemmed.  My daughter explained "that's the new style".... so I never did get around to hemming.  Will do that today since I need to sew a stretch of elastic on the inside back of the waist band 'cause they slip down.  I keep inch wide black & white elastic on hand all the time since I like slacks comfy but not falling down.  Remember Helona & I used to talk about this place we shop at.... that carries name brands that prices start at 75% off.... and then they have sales?   My closets are groaning & I need to pull out stuff that didn't turn out comfy & take to the DAV or Goodwill.  The Salvation Army store isn't "on my beaten path". 

Joan, I copied yesterday's "Don't You Hate it When?" and today's "Things You'll Never Hear a Teacher Say" to send to my daughter-in-law....  She gave up being an Industrial Engineer to be an elementary math  teacher & thoroughly enjoys having "teacher jokes" to share.  Thanks for all your extra "work".... demerits for you???  ;)

Larry, we had the most perfect fall morning of the year today, almost no wind, brilliant sunrise and cool enough to wear a jacket.  I walked into church with the biggest smile on my face and had a big "Thank you, God" in my heart.  I have a feeling that your house is as well organized as your mind, and that is a very admired trait in my opinion.  I would love to be but am not. I tried really hard for my husband's sake but I do know he did understand my failings.  Any time he needed an extra pair of hands I would drop whatever I was doing to go help him, be it putting a roof on the house or "go fetch" tools or hold the other end of a board he was sawing.  I willing to try anything and love to make people smile.  Eventually my work gets done. 

Phyll, a beautiful graphic.... we didn't see that much color this year but I do have photos from one fall in CO of the white aspen trunks still holding onto some gold & rust leaves.  My son loved the scene so I had an 8x10 print made for his office.  Like yours, a hold your breath moment because you know the snow will fall soon.

I hope June is doing okay.  God Bless all of our Friends. 

Sandy

Good Morning from the cool and partly cloudy,  rocky coast of Maine.

I turned my clock back and now have
to look forward to it getting dark now
before 4:30 PM in the Afternoon.... 

I really hate this,  because my vision
gets worse at night  (after daylight
retires),   but......   I am just going to
have to get used to it and be grateful
that after Dec 22 the daylight starts
to get longer.

I wish everyone a good day. 

Sandy
:balloons: :nod:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JoanFL

Shirley--Glad your daughter-in-law can use some of the things I post.  I am going to see if I can find out from Dori how June is doing.

Sandy--I don't like Standard time either.  We only have to wait until March to change back to DST.

Radioman34

Just looking in to reserve my parking space for the week

CallieOK

Joan again:   I have trouble wrapping my mind around "adding" an hour when I set the clock "back"!!  It's o.k.    I got to church at the right time.   :thumbup:

The Church Ladies went to a Chinese restaurant today.   The Lunch special is two entrees - one on either side of a huge scoop of rice - plus an egg roll and a cup of soup.   We all got take-out boxes.
Other than agreeing that the lines to vote on Tuesday may be shorter because of the huge number who voted early, we didn't settle any important issues.  Sorry 'bout that.   ;)

When the family went to Washington D.C. in 1976,  a relative took us to an "all you can eat" crab diner somewhere in Maryland.  It was the first time we had experienced brown paper on the table with everything dumped in the middle.  #2 son, who was 9,  slipped a crab shell in his pocket and then put it in his suitcase to take home as a souvenir.
We were in D.C. another 5 days!!!!  Needless to say, the crab shell did NOT make it back to Colorado!!!!! 

JoanFL

Hi Radioman.

Callie--Trust me--we got an extra hour today.  I don't care for Chinese.  Funny story about your son and the crab shell.:)

angelface555

When you fall back, you use the same hour twice. Such as when you set the clock to 2am so it is 2am twice, instead of going on to three. When you spring forward, you are skipping that hour and going on to the next.

Lindancer

Good afternoon, been a cloudy windy day again, and getting cooler. Will also be dark in a little while.

I guess we are all thinking about June, and praying to see a post fromher soon

Phyllis, enjoyed the graphic, begining to look like that around here. This week the trees have started to turn.

Joan, enjoyed the jokes about what a teacher, would not say.

It is Sunday, and have had a few folks in to check on me.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JoanFL

angelface--No matter how you figure it there's an extra hour.:)

Linedancer--It sure is great that folks check on you.

mycheal

Joan you are so right, when 2 AM comes -Clocks are set back to 1 AM.......................Gotcha there is the extra hour :) as we move forward .......

Hope June is doing well and returns soon her missives are missed and her unrelenting sense of humor :)

Mycheal

halkel

just checking in.  I did post this morning, but guess someone else was posting at the same time and mine didn't go.  Wife had greeting this morning so we left early.  And I lay down on the couch to watch some football and napped most of the game.

We took my SIL and my daughter out for his birthday dinner at the Texas Roadhouse and it was a good meal.  Felt a little sorry for one of the wait staff, they dropped a tray of drinks almost right next to us and what a mess, but we didn't get any of it but glass and drinks was everywhere on the floor.

At any rate, I am off to bed.  Good Night, Sweet Dreams and God Bless.

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.  There's Cinnabons to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

CHUCKLES

Top Ten Wrong Ways to Initiate Your Son Into Manhood

10. Teach him the secret male ritual of leaving the toilet seat up and the toilet paper roll empty.

9. Have a ceremony where you give him his own remote control.

8. Lead him through an afternoon of rigorous physical training in the back yard while you sit in a lawn chair with a half-gallon of ice cream.

7. Eat until you're about to burst and then ride the Screamin' Hurler roller coaster.

6. Put cream on his face and let the cat shave him with its tongue.

5. Walk behind him through his school halls yelling, "You da man!"

4. Send him to the local discount store to buy Mom's "personal things."

3. Give him Grandma's lime green Gremlin with personalized license plates that say, "TUFFGUY."

2. Send the womenfolk shopping, then get out your secret Old Yeller video and have a good cry together.

1. Shot put catching.

Food For Thought

Fruit in Every Season

By Joel Vande Werken
Scripture Reading: Revelation 22:1-6

On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month.
Revelation 22:2
In the Northern Hemisphere, the end of October brings the conclusion of the growing season. Though harvest continues in a few southern areas, most crops are finished by November. Until spring, the land lies quiet in the winter cold.
Our lives here on earth also have periods of quiet when it seems that not much growth takes place. Sometimes we feel guilty for that: we sense that we ought to be able to do more, to grow more, to feel more holy. In his book Spiritual Rhythm, Mark Buchanan writes, “Winter hides God.”
But the Christian faith looks forward to a day when growth will be continual. The Bible portrays the life of God in the new heaven and earth flowing without interruption to his people. Instead of a lull in the dead and cold of winter, God’s healing power will always bear fruit.
Further, the Bible pictures this great harvest in the midst of a city. Cities and harvests normally don’t go together. Farms and orchards lie outside cities, and food is brought in to areas where more people live. But in God’s new creation, Jesus the Lamb will always be close to his people to provide all that they need.
What a marvelous picture of God’s goodness!
Father, we look forward to the day when we will see your perfect goodness for us all of the time. Make our hearts and lives ready for the perfect joy of life with you in the new ¬heaven and new earth. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”

~ Theodore Roosevelt

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Chilly this morning temp is at 20°. Yesterday was such a beautiful day, we had a great time with daughter and son in love. Lots of leftovers so I don't need to worry about "What's for dinner". 

Need to go to town and pick up a gas can so we will have one that just holds high test gas for the snowblower and that is about it other than waltz with the vacuum and tidy up.

Hope June comes back soon.

Joan thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Jimmy Dean

larryhanna

Hi everyone on another bright and soon to be sunny morning starting out at about 51 degrees and is to go only to about 71 degrees this afternoon.  My schedule is light today with only my Monday noon meeting on the agenda.  However, I may make a trip to COSTCO and be there when they open as we need to restock our refrigerator with some meat.  Thankfully this is the last day before our big election day tomorrow.  I will need to rest up so I can stay up later and watch the returns. 

We had a very nice Church service yesterday as it was All Saints Sunday and as the names of those who had passed away from our congregation were read one by one a bell was sounded and as the service continued until the end when four bells were run in different corners of the church. The rest of the day was quiet and enjoyable with some listening to Don's musical program, taking a nice nap and then watching some football.

Amy, reading that you were making homemade bread makes me a bit envious.  It has been a long time since we have made any although I think we still have the bread maker machine.  Pat is trying to stay away from bread but I may buy a bread mix one of these days and get the machine out and bake a loaf. 

Joan, your cable service hasn't been very reliable recently.  Hope it is OK now. 

Gloria, do you lay your spices down in the drawer so you can see the labels? 

Shirley, apple pie for breakfast sounds delicious.  It was so cool in the house yesterday morning that we turned on the heat and will do so again this morning to take the chill off.  This house warms up quickly.  Sometimes I wonder about how organized my mind is anymore as it is taking longer and longer to come up with things or names.  While things are pretty organized in our home the problem is remembering where our organization put them. 

deAngel, like you and others I also have June in my thoughts and prayers and do hope we get some word today that she is making progress in recovery. 

Hal, some excitement at the Texas Roadhouse.  At least it wasn't someone at your table that spilled a drink. 

Gloria

Good morning everyone, sun is shining bright and beautiful. Should warm up.

AMY  been 6 years since I had a slice or warm homemade apple pie. That is the last time my daughter was here. Sure will be a treat.

JOAN  after going through all the spices looking for what I wanted I finally have a system for them. Crazy because not I do not cook like I used to.

SHIRLEY  one thing I miss is making fudge. So far have not had a housekeeper or CNA I would trust to make it for me. I really don't think any of them can cook because what I have asked them to do so far has been inedible. I learned how to make fudge before the days of the marshmallow fluff. When I got married I could make fudge, chocolate cake and spaghetti sauce. That was it. When my ex sis in-law's daughter comes here from Italy every summer she brings an empty suitcase. She goes to “Sally's” aka Salvation Army and buys clothes. She has a sense of style and gets some great looking outfits. Of course she is tall and slim so easy for her. We shorties always have trouble. My sil has taken me there but I could never find anything to fit me. Like you I send the teacher jokes to my daughter and  the last one got a laugh from her.

CALLIE  I can imagine the smell if your son got that crab home.

GLORIA de  glad you have friends that check on you.

JOAN  a Cinnabon will be so tasty this morning. In Food for Thought I love the line  “Jesus the Lamb will always be close to his people to provide all that they need. “. So true. Thank you for all today's goodies.

LARRY  the small jars of spices I lay down but the taller ones I have to stand up in back of them. There are no regular drawers in this apartment.  Have to open the doors and pull the slide out so it is pretty easy to see what I want.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone! Overcast here, I guess everyone is OK In OK, as far as we know no hurt of Humans just property damage. scary here in MO, we are over the new Maddren < spell CK has no for ?) fault. Have a grate day.

Lloyd