Random Image

Shades of Blue

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Tom looked at his calendar today and discovered friends were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary; he thought it was tomorrow.  The man has Parkinson's and used to be my periodontist but had to give up his practice because of the illness.  He has good days and bad days and today was one of the good days.  It was a nice party and I'm glad I went.  I am not close friends with the couple, however, I do know both of them.  Three of Tom's friends were there and I had not seen any of them for a while.  So I had a busy afternoon. 

Instead of driving tonight, Tom has gone to his lady friend's for supper and the evening.  I don't know if it's a Christmas "thing" of not but I think others will be there.  We stopped at a Wendy's for my supper to bring home.  I won't have to eat again tonight.  Tom may drive after he leaves the party; he wasn't sure.

Like Norm, Tom likes to take the "scenic route" home and today was no exception.  We have enough new snow on the ground that is clean and it makes such a pretty picture as we drove along.  Enough cars have been on the roads that driving was good. 

Next Tuesday Tom is going to take Dot and me out to lunch for our Christmas present.  We'll have to go to a fancier place than the Cholesterol Pit or similar.  We have one restaurant near Rockford (not far from here) where we've gone several times but I'd like something different this time, however, if push comes to shove, we can go there. 

Gloria, I don't blame you for wanting to hold on to the church and lighthouse in your village; I know they hold memories for you.  Maybe that's the reason I don't want to give away my old Christmas ornaments because some of them are quite old and hold memories. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Gloria, such a pretty display in memory of your son. ðŸ'•ðŸ'•

Marilyne, I have a lot of the original Dept. 56 houses and many accessories but they were carefully packed and I haven’t bothered unpacking them.  Our last several years in Ocala we only put up a small display.  I also have some miniatures that I got on sale at a “going out of business” sale.  I just don’t have much Christmas spirit this year.

Mary Ann, I’m glad you had such a pleasant day.  Snow is so pretty when it first falls.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is going to be another nice day getting up to 60 degrees this afternoon.  Pat and I are going to Sunday School and Church and then go out to eat.  So it will be pretty much our typical Sunday as far as we know now. 

Jean, over the years the amount of decorating that my wife does has decreased.  However, she still has some favorite things she likes to display.  She leaves the Christmas village she collected years ago up all year long on top of our entertainment center.  I guess we then always have our decorating for next year started. Will you be with family at Christmas?

Mary Ann, interesting that it was Dot's brother who had the Christmas villages.  I enjoy looking at them but have never had a desire to own them.  We discarded a lot of our Christmas decorations when we moved here and haven't missed a thing.  The only decoration we have added was a replacement wreath for our front door and the little poinsettia that we got the other door, also for the porch. One year Pat did something like you were asked to do for an organization and they continued to nag her for several years.  Where does Tom get the leads for recruiting the semi drivers?  Glad to see you enjoyed the 50th wedding anniversary party and got to see some old acquaintances. 

deAngel, glad you enjoyed putting up your Cape village and there was no rush since you started well before Christmas.  Hopefully your nephew will put those decorations away for you when the time comes.  I also just now saw the  Church scene you have in memory of Dennis.  It sure is pretty.

Marilyne, it sounds like you had quite the Christmas village.  It must have taken a fairly large area to display it on. I think about all the things we have that have meaning to us but not for our son and it is sad to realize that all of it will be sold someday when we have to leave this home.  I have never sold anything on eBay but my best friend in past years has sold many things.  He was a collected of Roy Roger's memorabilia and other Western theme things.  He had many interests but his Parkinson's and old age has really changed all of that for him.  I have been seeing articles about the working conditions at Amazon and they are rather alarming. 

Patricia, who can survive on $19 worth of food a month.  Stacey was getting something similar in amount.  Fortunately we were able to see that she had what she needed.  Nice that the food boxes were filled with some meat and eggs.  The timing was certainly bad on the elevator.

Chia

There is a last of the year quiz on http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?board=22.0..All welcome and O.K. to google the answers...

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the cold, clear
and sunny,  rocky coast of Maine!

Wishing everyone a very happy holiday season,
be it Christmas or  Hanukkah 2017
December 12 thru 20  (I believe?)

I am watching the old version of
"White Christmas"  now on AMC.     
Something that I haven't seen
for years.   Now it is colorized!   
Ole Bing sounds like Old Bing !!!

Can you imagine,  only eight more days until
Christmas is behind us again.   

I hope that everyone has had a nice weekend 
and continues to do so ..

love
Sandy
:coffee: :woohoo:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Dot and I did not do "our thing" this morning because she has some ailment that is very painful - not life threatening, but she has trouble getting out of chairs.  She knew she would not be able to go to church, let alone drive.  I did not discover that until I was ready to leave and waiting for her.  When she did not appear, I checked my phone and saw the message I had was from Dot.  Her ailment is some sort of inflammation and the doctor has given her some medicine for it but she feels it has not taken effect yet.  We both hate to miss church, but especially at Christmas time when we get to sing some of the Christmas songs.  Of course, we didn't get to the Cholesterol Pit either.

We have 25 degree temperature this morning, but it is not snowing - just cold.  We can take that.  The cold doesn't bother me because I have a warm coat for outside but I think I get tired of having so many cold days in a row.  Not having to go outside now, I can gloat about standing the cold without having to go out in it!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann- Sorry Dot is not feeling well, and that you had to miss church this morning.  I think you have one more Sunday before Christmas?   We used to enjoy going to the Christmas Eve service.  The church was beautifully decorated, and the hour consisted of the pipe organ, and carols sung by the choir as well as the congregation.  It's been many years, but nice memories. 

Nothing on tap here today.  AJ strung the colored lights around the outside of the house, and I've put out a few easy decorations like Christmas stockings and a couple of poinsettias.

FlaJean - like you, I don't have much Christmas spirit this year. I'm looking forward to the demise of 2017.  It was not a good year, and I'm hoping there will be some positive changes in 2018.

angelface555

Good morning from a windy, filled with freezing fog Interior. We were off the Internet for awhile this morning due to the wind. I don't have any details, but we are back and connected. This type of rain, sleet, and fog reminds me more of South East than usual Interior weather. We've had a late snowfall that was a meager amount, and the wind is unusual for an area surrounded by natural barriers.

Otherwise, cat, myself are fed, watered, in my case, "coffeed" and ready to start the day.

I'm glad to hear, Larry, that Pat is doing better and without pain these days.

Larry, it was nice to see everyone receiving more meat yesterday. The Angus beef looked to be from a restaurant warehouse rather than retail as there were no labels other than an inked stamp. This box, third Saturday of the month is I believe Federal Commodities or something similar. The first Saturday's box is from a local food bank.The Salvation Army is to be commended for bringing these boxes to residents instead of having residents go to where the public pickups are located.

What happened with the elevator was an unusual event; evidently, someone in a wheelchair had an accident and maintenance was busy trying to steam clean the carpet in the midst of an active event. One of the parts of living in disabled senior housing I suppose. I have run into people who upon hearing where I live, believe I am either wealthy or living off their taxes. Since I worked for 49 years before retirement, I tell them I paid for this with years of hard work; it is not an entitlement to be disabled!

My mother had a serious doll and Hummel collection that was sold because none of the three of us had room or need for those figures or the massive fabric and sewing machines and large weaving loom my mother had. My father had built riverboats, both outboard and inboard,(such those with jet engines); so those tools, parts, and framework were sold as well.

We had a time trying to sell his Nissan back to the dealership as it was still under warranty. They not only wanted a copy of the death certificate, but it had to be certified as well as accredited proof that we were heirs and allowed to act in that capacity. The experience with both my parents and my daughter convinced me to lay everything out in detail and to ameliorate costs as much as possible.

MaryAnn, I am sorry you missed church and your regular Sunday time with Dot. I hope Dot feels better soon and that the medication kicks in sooner rather than later!

Gloria, your Christmas village and the church for Dennis is lovely and a beautiful tribute. Thank you for allowing me to post for you.

Everyone seems to have such lovely Christmas collections. I collected books, (thirty-eight boxes of them when moving!); and pictures. The physical books were donated to the Literacy Council but once a collector, always a collector as I have over a thousand on my two Kindles.

Out of twenty-three pictures, I have 19 left out of 23. There isn't room to hang all of them, so they sit along one wall. I will not give, sell or donate these as they are meaningful for me and I would never recoup my original investment. I left them to the Episcopal church in my will so they may deal with it.

Sandy, it is nice to see you posting here. I saw the photos of Fe on Facebook; she has grown from a baby to a sweet young girl.

Marilyne, I see I am not the only one looking for an end to this year and hopefully a better one next year.

Mary Ann

Patricia, when Norm was in Germany in the 50s, he sent me three or four Hummels and I still have them.  I'm not sure I've impressed on the next generation as to their worth.  Later in the century, I bought a couple more.  The older ones are much larger than the newer ones and the colors are better too.  I've been concocting a e-mail for Annie's generation and I'll have to put the Hummels in that e-mail.  I add to it occasionally and I will send it out one of these days.  Norm also sent a salt and pepper set that are Hummels and I bought a Mary and Joseph set (Jesus is on Mary's lap) that also is a Hummel. 

Tom went out driving about 1 pm and just returned, saying things were slow.  I know he can find other things to do around here or in his office in the family room.  I started to pick up something in the dining room but got tired of standing so here I am.  I'll go back to it soon.

I got out Kendrick's new toy and he was fascinated by it, but he did not get out of his scratch lounge, just watched the "mouse" go round and round.  I expected him to pounce on it, but he did not; he just watched very intently.  Next, I'll put some water in the thing that Annie brought over recently.  He wasn't too interested in drinking the water as it came out of the flower, but he knows where the water is so he takes off the top of the thing and drinks the water from the container.  It doesn't take much to entertain a cat!!!

Mary Ann

Sandy

Sandy, it is nice to see you posting here. I saw the photos of Fe on Facebook; she has grown from a baby to a sweet young girl.

Yes,  Fe is getting older but to me she looks older then
she really is.    She won't be 2 until the end of April.
But she is at that age where she is learning things in leaps and bounds...   I only see her about once every 2-3 weeks ... just enough time for her to change again!

Little kids are great fun!!

Sandy
:smitten:

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

MaryAnn, I wish I could say that about Farrah! She has many toys she either ignores that were Sarah's favorites. Or ones she previously enjoyed that she has seemingly grown out of.

My mother had quite a doll collection, one Bye-lo baby, and one WWII era sailor doll estimated at seven thousand,(Unfortunately, almost all of that ended up in the lawyer's pocket! Actually much of that did).

Her Hummel collection was more earlier ones, but at the time the three of us just had no room or inclination to add more to already crowded homes.We were at the beginning stages of decluttering, and children were leaving home.

I was surprised, Sandy, when you said Fe would not be two until April! She does look older than she is. But, yes, this is a series of stages transitioning like teenagers to adulthood. Except it is going from being a baby to a child.

Mary Ann

Sandy, I'm happy for you that you can see Fe as often as you do.  Norm's oldest great lives in Eaton Rapids MI, near Lansing (capital of the state) and we saw her just after Christmas last year when she was nearly one.  We should see her again in late December when she will be close to two.  Tom's grandchildren (the twins) live in Holland MI and unless we go down there, we don't see them.  Norm's other great lives in California and we have not yet met him (one boy, three girls).  The CA family will be here in late December and we will meet him then; he's nine months old now.  The interesting part with that family is that Geoff's wife is Chinese.  I think both of her parents are Chinese, but she doesn't look like we picture Chinese and you can see a bit in the baby. 

I'm not complaining as I am in contact with the parents so I know how the babies are doing - so far, great!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Where did everyone go?  No one has posted, even Larry, since I posted yesterday afternoon.

I just had one of those "I started to do this and saw something else to be done, etc, etc".  Annie bought Kendrick a thing for him to drink from and it had no water in it so I went to the kitchen to get water and realized I needed to go to the bathroom (don't you always when you get water from a faucet?) and when there, I saw I had not taken my pills this morning.  I did take them then  retrieved the water I had drawn for the cat's toy, put the water in the thing and plugged it in.  It is a square plastic container with a pump in the center that by pushing a plastic flower on the lid, pumps water onto the top and the cat is to drink from there.  Only the water did not come up.  I'll have to get Annie to see what can be done.  The cat has had the top off many times but I think all the parts are there. 

When I finished there (and disconnected the cord) I got out the round thing with a mouse and he actually played with that for a few minutes.  Kendrick is no dummy so when he realized the mouse wouldn't play with him, he only watched it.  Occasionally he'd look over at me as if he wanted me to do more with it.  I finally put it away. 

I hesitate to get at the catnip because when/if I open the drawer where the catnip is kept, he knows immediately which drawer has been opened and he'd rather have catnip than toys.

All of a sudden I can access my grocery ad so I "saved" several things to a list for Tom in case he goes to the store, which I hope he will do yet this week.  Next week will be too late for what I've chosen, but there will be other specials next week.

Tom is gone until late evening so I think I'll take a nap.  Kendrick may or may not join me.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I think most cats get bored quickly, with their toys.  Except for kittens, like Shan!  They have so much energy, that they can keep it up for long periods of time.  I remember looking at different drinking water devices for Winnie, but never bought one.  The ones that store the water and slowly release, seemed like the best idea.  The one I remember almost buying, had the water stored in a plastic "tank" on top, and somehow it came down into the attached bowl? 

Yes, things are even quieter than usual in S&F today.  Some of the regular members who post every day, are missing.  Postings have actually picked up in Library Bookshelf and Television. There are a few good shows that people are watching and commenting on, and lots of interesting book recommendations.     

Sandy

Good Monday Afternoon,   Everyone!

It is cold,  snowy and getting dark here on the
rocky coast of Maine.     

Time is fleeting.   The Christmas Holiday is right around the corner...     hooray! 
:knuppel2:

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Mary Ann

Joan, he posted in the Soda Shoppe and I imagine he forgot to come this way. 

Mary Ann

wjoan

Thanks Mary Ann.  A relief to know this.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We are in for another very nice day with it getting up to about 70 degrees.  I had a very good nights sleep and the schedule is clear for today.  About the only thing I did yesterday was to make a quick trip to the post office to mail off a small package to a dear friend.  Of course, one never knows what the day may bring.

Mary Ann, I very seldom post in the afternoon or evening as usually read the messages only once a day.  Sometimes I wonder if the person designing some of the cat or dog toys even has a pet cat or dog.  We bought a watering device that was suppose to refill the drinking area as the cat drank. However, he immediately splashed all the water out so it was useless to use while we were away, which was why we had purchased it.  I hope you were able to get in a nice nap yesterday afternoon. 

Marilyne, we thought the same thing when we got the watering device I talked about above.  It sure didn't work for our cat as he thought it was a game.  Fortunately we had left it in the garage where we kept him at night during the colder months so it didn't make a mess in the house.  It sounds like you were looking at the same type of watering device as we purchased.  It was a good idea in concept but didn't work with our cat. I have noted the number of postings are down a lot in the three discussions I follow daily. 

Sandy, it sounds like the snow is getting you all ready for the Christmas season.  It has been years since I have seen a White Christmas. 

Joan, I am fine and try to post daily but some days don't get that done as early as other days.  I actually am feeling a lot better since I started using the oxygen at night a little over a month ago.  I hope you and Candy are doing well.  I thought I had posted here yesterday as read the postings and wrote a message but it must have got caught in the middle of another posting and I didn't notice it hadn't posted.  I appreciate being missed. 

MarsGal

My cats are using fountain type water dishes. Lucy especially prefers the one downstairs, while Oscar prefers the one upstairs. Shan seems to drink from both, but he is a bit small yet and sometimes steps into the "pool" area to get to the fountain bit.

Although I wasn't expecting it, it is/or was a bit drizzily this morning. Already it is 45F and to go up to 53F today. It will drop back a bit and then they are calling for nights in the teens after Christmas.

Sandy

Yes, Larry, unfortunately the snow on the ground makes it difficult for me to get out and get to the grocery store if I decide to take the bus... 
I do best on dry ground. It is easier to walk and pull a small cart along.   

If I stop complaining I can get the job done. (slowly)
The good news is that tomorrow and thurs are going to sunny days (and drier),  so I will get my
weekly shopping done then.    (no complaints there!)
Sandy  :D

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Larry, thanks to Mary Ann I did not worry about you for too long.   Get a little scared when I come in and there is no posting here from you.   I do not post daily as have nothing to say, but know that I read every morning and later in the day also.

Mary Ann

Tom is running a taxi service today and tomorrow - a friend is flying in from Florida for a doctor's appointment (!) so Tom will meet him at the airport, then take him to the doctor's, then take him to a hotel that has airport shuttle.  I just figured it out - the friend lives in Zeeland MI but has been in Key West FL working on his MIL's house that was badly damaged.  Tomorrow afternoon he takes another friend to the airport.  Wednesday he is taking Dot and me to lunch as a Christmas gift. 

I hope Tom is able to restrict his Uber driving until after the first of the year.  He's been getting up at 4 am to leave at 5 am to drive until 9 am.  He would come home, nap, then go to drive again about 4 pm until he's ready to quit about 8 or 9 pm, of if business is good, until the wee small hours of the morning.  He comes home and says he is exhausted, or he doesn't feel good.  I told him he should limit his driving, the heck with the money because neither of us needs him to be sick.  So far he has listened to me.  His "day job" is flat right now.

It wasn't long ago that we were at 20 degrees, maybe only a few days ago.  At 1:15 pm our temperature is 43 degrees.  That's when I think people get ill beause of the temperature changes.  I am asking Tom to get the mail these days so I don't get out doors unless we go somewhere.  I am not one to get cabin fever.

While Tom is gone, I'd like to pick up some things that are cluttering the living area.  I have to say I am NOT the one who clutters that area (other areas, yes, but not the living area).  I will start with the dining room.

I'm glad to see your post this morning, Larry.  Since I had seen your post in Soda Shoppe yesterday, I knew you were OK and had probably forgotten to come over here.

Grand Haven is quite choppy today and with all of the leaves gone, you can see the beach.  There is no snow on the beach but there was for several days.  And more snow will come!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I'm always impressed with how much Tom does for his friends!  He goes out of his way to transport people to and from airports, and around the state, plus he supports friends who are in need.  As for his Uber job . . . from now through New Years Eve, will be a lucrative time for drivers.  Most people now-a-days who drink alcohol, are smart enough to call Uber, instead of driving.

wjoan -  Good to see your message!  Let us know how Candy is doing, and if she will soon get her own apartment?  How is the weather in the Tri-Cities?  Probably not as bland as it is here? 

The weather is extremely dry here.  We were fortunate to get one rain storm in November, but that is all we've had.  The days have been in the low to mid 60's, and the nights only into the 40's.  The Southern part of the state, where the fires are still burning, hasn't had a drop of rain since last March. I'm afraid the whole state is heading for another drought year. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, Tom does value his friends.  I am going to suggest that he pick a time to drive for Uber, just not as much as he had been doing.  He needed money so that is why he was overdoing it.  I do not want a sick man here, especially around the holidays, but he does enjoy driving, whether for Uber or not. 

We haven't had an over=abundance of rain, but we've had some occasionally.  I can't tell you the last time we had a bad storm - lightning, thunder, wind and the whole nine yards, but nice rains do much good.  Our snow is mostly gone now and I wonder if kids will have a White Christmas.  I had heard reports that we would have a mild winter, but time will tell.  I feel so sorry for the people who have been affected by the lack of rain, then the fires.  We used to hear there would be a big earthquake and California would drop into the Pacific.  It sounds as if the state will burn up first.  Isn't it strange that weather conditions are so extremely different at the two coasts. 

Dot just called that she will be unable to go to lunch with us tomorrow.  She has extreme pain, I think she called it an inflammation in her Sacro Iliac.  She is very uncomfortable lying down whether in bed, in a recliner or couch.  She feels OK if she can stand up straight, but who can do that!  She could not get an appointment with a pain doctor until January 2.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Marilyn, all is good here.  Weather has been 20's at night and 30's during the day.  We have had two days in the 50's but snow us supposed to get here soon so that is what is happening with the weather right now.
As for Candy's apt. we have had no word yet so just waiting to hear now

Lindancer

MaryAnn, Maybe Dot should go to a walk in clinic, that is a long wait. We have another new one which I like very much. When i left the doctor even walked me out to the car.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, I am not sure we have any walk-in clinics.  We do have Urgent Care places, in buildings managed by one of the hospitals.  Many doctors are based there, but also the urgent care.  We also get our blood draws there.  The doctor has given her some medication which she hopes will kick in soon.  Our doctor was not in at the time, so they assigned another doctor who she found she liked very much so she is changing doctors.  Since he made the appointment, I think she would rather not go around him.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It was 60 degrees at 7:30 this morning and will be close to 70 this afternoon.  Yesterday was just a beautiful weather day.  It was so nice that we decided to go out for our dinner last night so we went to the Pizza Hut for the buffet.  The only thing special on the agenda for today will be dinner this evening with Jennifer and Scott.  As there is no dinner at Church tonight we will likely go out to eat and then come back here for some visiting. 

MarsGal, we have an 80% chance of rain around noontime and continuing into the afternoon.  The pavement and walks this morning look like we had some rain during the night.  I guess your cats don't like sharing their water dishes except with Shan. 

Sandy, guess you need to keep a few things to eat in reserve in case your walkways to the bus and the store are not clear.  It sounds like you will be able to get out OK today and tomorrow. 

Joan, it seems like anymore I really don't have much to post about.  I do like to see our friends postings often even it they are short as like you I tend to be concerned about folks who don't post very often. 

Mary Ann, flying from Florida to Michigan for a doctor's appointment is really something.  It sounds like Tom's taxi service will be pretty busy the next few days.  Is the friend returning to Florida after his appointment?  I hope that Tom's day job will pick up in the new year and he won't have to do so much driving.  So sorry to hear that Dot is in such pain.  Too bad she has to wait so long to see the pain doctor. 

Marilyne, I wonder if the taxi cab companies are going out of business in places because so many folks use the Uber type transportation type services?  I haven't had a need to check around here for this type of service but sure it exists.  I have seen some senior transportation type vans and buses in the area.  I just got a reply to a Christmas letter I sent out yesterday from one of my first cousins who lives in your area and had to evacuate due to the fires.  She said her home had no damage nor did her sister's home, who lives in the city of Napa. 

deAngel, we have several of the walk in clinics here.  I have only gone one time to it and they just sent me on to the ER.  Fortunately the problem turned out to be nothing to be concerned about and since they didn't help me and they are a part of the same University Hospital system they didn't charge me but the ER cost more than compensated.  The chiropractor that Pat saw several months ago sends his new patients to one of the walk-in clinics to get the back x-rays he needs.     

Mary Ann

Larry, I think the man was going back to Florida after his doctor's appointment.  While it sounds ridiculous, I think this is what happened:  The man had the appointment made some time ago and in the meantime, a hurricane damaged his MIL's Florida home.  He is a builder so went down to work on her house.  I would like to think his wife and MIL are down there somewhere; I have not asked Tom for details (the daughter is a friend of Tom's and I know the MIL).  So, it does make sense.  Tom did tell me that he was taking the man to a hotel that has an airport shuttle so Tom didn't have to return him to the airport.

I heard Tom go out at 4 am this morning so I think I got my times mixed.  I thought he was going to take a friend to the airport at 4 pm but it must have been 4 am because Tom was home before I got up and if he had done some driving, he would not have come home until about 9 30 (I got up at 8 am).  Keeping up those schedules is hard on me, especially when I'm not involved in any way!

Dot's appointment is in two weeks and I think that is normal, however, the pain is bad; her new doctor made the appointment.  Last year when I was having nosebleeds, my doctor called the specialist and said it was "Urgent".  When the office called me to make the appointment, it was two months before they could get me in.  So I don't think two weeks is too bad.

I mentioned Uber dispatcher to Tom the other day and he said they don't have dispatchers; the customer must have an app and they make the call with the app.  The call goes to the nearest driver who can "yes" or "no" the call, depending on the destination.  Usually the driver isn't too far from the passenger.  Tom had a call to pick up a 10-year-old girl recently and he said "no" to that call. 

I think our Urgent Care facilities would qualify as "walk-in clinics".  While many doctors are based in the building, it is an "all-purpose" building because of blood drawing, x-rays (and I don't know what else) plus the doctors' offices and Urgent Care.  I would need an appointment to see a doctor, but if I had something minor, I could go to Urgent Care.  If I had something major, I'd have to go to Emergency at one of the hospitals where they are better equipped to handle such things. 

We are at 30 degrees now and probably won't get much above that, however, the sun is supposed to shine and I'll like that.

I've had a bit of fun with Google this morning.  I put in the address of where my mother lived as a child and the street came up on the screen where I found the house, also her uncle's house was next door.  I've got to go back to see if my great-grandparents' house shows up.  It is interesting what we can find on the computer these days.  I tried for my dad's childhood home but the address I had in mind did not exist so I'll have to do more digging.

Mary Ann