Random Image

River Pilot

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:31:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Mary Ann - It must have been a very important doctor's appointment, for Tom's friend to fly from FL to MI and back.  I'm quite sure that if it were me, I would have cancelled the appointment, or gone to a doctor in Florida.  However, I don't know the circumstances, so maybe spending all the time and money was justified? 

Be sure to check "Just Plain Old Music" this morning. I read your message about The Thousand Island Song, and found it on YouTube.  It surely did bring back memories! ;D

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone,
from the cold, but sunny and clear rocky
coast of Maine.   

The streets cleared up last night so I went out
and caught the bus to the grocery store.  the streets
and walkways were  clear.  So it was easy going. 

The stores were very busy this morning.. Not
too many shopping days until Christmas.

I do not give gifts at Christmas or Birthdays.
There is just too many kids,  grand kids and great grand
kid (FI),  so gift giving is out for us.   

So my shopping today was just for grocerys.

Have a good day,  everyone!
Sandy
:smiley6600:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I saw your post in the Music folder and played two versions of Johnny Mercer singing the Thousand Island song.  I have always liked Johnny Mercer so it was a good substitution.

I did give a possible explanation for the trip from Florida for a doctor's appointment - Tom's friend lives in Zeeland MI which is near Holland and I have an idea he has had the appointment for a while.  His MIL's house in Florida was damaged by one of the hurricanes and he has been working on the house (he is a builder).  I also have an idea his wife and MIL are in Florida now so, while expensive, it was worth while to come up here, then return.  I would think the appointment was not for something trivial.

Sandy, it is cold and clear here today and I think I can go to the mailbox today instead of having Tom take care of it. 

My Christmas giving has gotten to giving money to the nephew and great-nieces and -nephews.  For the latest additions (babies) I ordered some stuffed animals from Amazon and that will be it.  I have always done a good job of ordering from catalogs but I have toned that down.  Besides, the adults no longer exchange.  We didn't have a very big family anyway.  I do feel guilty that my giving isn't more, but it is what it is!!!

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  After a lot of rain yesterday we have a bright and sunny morning.  We expect to get to about 60 degrees this afternoon.  We did have an enjoyable time with Scott and Jennifer last evening.  The main item on the agenda for today is that Pat will get the third shot in her back this morning.  I may make a quick trip to Walmart for a couple of things later today and that will likely be it. 

Mary Ann, Tom does have some hectic schedules.  He must be a very kind man who likes to help his friends even if he has to leave the house at 4 am.  Pat has been going through the long delays for doctor's appointments this entire year.  It appears the doctors are very overworked and more PA's are now seeing many of the patients for more routine things.  Has Dot had chronic back pain for a long time or is this something new for her?  Tom was wise to not pick up the young girl.  In this day and age better to be safe than sorry later.  Hope you got to enjoy some sunshine yesterday. 

Marilyne, I am not familiar with the Thousand Island Song.  I guess I need to check it out.

Sandy, glad you were able to make a good and easy trip to the grocery store.  This weekend will likely be a madhouse in the stores with the last minute Christmas shoppers.  When we talked to our great grandchildren last night the little 6 year old was so excited about Christmas and today was his Christmas play.  His Dad said he would try to get a video of it and send it to me so we can watch it.  The older kids were not as excited.  I asked our granddaughter what she would do with the Christmas money we sent and she said she likely would put it in the bank and save it. 

Mary Ann

Larry, Dot has always had pain because of long-time arthritis.  This Sacro-Iliac pain is new and almost more than she can bear.

Tom's generosity is catching up with him.  He was sick yesterday and I haven't heard any stirring yet today.  He sleeps downstairs and because he doesn't feel good, he sleeps later than usual.  He usually starts his "day job" about now but I am sure he has his phone turned off so he can sleep. 

I hope the shot in Pat's back will help her.  There is so much activity at Christmastime that it is hard to not feel good or have aches and pains beyond normal.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I truly hope that Tom is not coming down with a flu or or bad cold, that will put a damper on the holidays for all of you.  He does so much for others, that he sure doesn't deserve to get sick.

They say that we are all more vulnerable to illnesses at this time of year, because of the stress, the crowds, etc.  In recent years, I kind of go into a slump, and then a panic, during this final week. :yikes:  I don't get depressed about "the ghosts of Christmases past", like a lots of people do - but I do get stressed out about being in charge of things - buying gifts, shopping for food, making sure the house is clean, and a million other little things that don't seem to ever fall in place. Fortunately for me, AJ is very helpful.

Larry - Wonderful that you are having much more contact with your grands and great-grands this year!

Joy

Mary Ann, I am sorry that Dot is having so much pain from this new problem with the Sacro Illiac joint.   I think that is in the same area where you have problems with Sciatica.  And, from suffering from Sciatica several times over the years, I can attest to the terrible pain she has.  It is a shame that she has to wait so long for an appointment.

I noticed the lake is pretty calm this morning. I think it was yesterday when it was so choppy.  It guess it depends on howm bad the winds are that makes it so choppy.  But, it sure does look SOOOOOOO COLD !!

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior. We've had slightly cooler temperatures lately and so many activities, events, and appointments that you have to rush here and rush there and have all your ducks in a row. My apartment management inspection was yesterday. I always rush around cleaning for the manager to make a quick jaunt through the rooms, give me a ready smile and a "very nice" before she's out the door again. I'm firmly in Marilyne's camp at this time of year!

MaryAnn, I'm sorry for Dot's acute pain. I know with the cooler temperatures and my arthritis, my body stiffens and just seems to hunch over. Straightening up is an entire production but nothing like Dot's or Pat's pain. I have a friend with arthritis in her spine who had the shots some years ago, but they didn't remain useful for her. I hope Tom's cold isn't too severe and that he is better soon.

I've been out to several events this week, and the hostess or host always seems to have small gift bags for each guest. I had brought little jars of my homemade applesauce and in one of my bags was a small jar of delicious applesauce with cinnamon red hots.

I will have to try that next with my applesauce. I confess to readily trying the different bagged jams, jellies, syrups and mini loaves from each event and as usual, they have been so good that I'm temporary planning to attempt baking again before reality and the size of my waistline intervenes.

I don't usually decorate, and the presents I've received are in the hall closet, so Farrah doesn't investigate too thoroughly. When I was asked to be in a decorating contest, I declined and seemed to have been labeled a Grinch. I'm sorry, but I don't decorate, and I will not open my apartment to whoever decides to go on the tour and vote for the best or most decorated. I think that idea was not very well thought out by the Christmas committee!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I hate to say it, but Tom has brought this on himself.  His day job isn't very lucrative and he was trying to make some money, so he'd get up about 4 am to drive and get home about 9 am.  He'd go out again about 4 pm and drive until 9 or 10 pm.  I'm not telling him "I told you so" because he is so miserable and I can sympathize with him, but his schedule is a probable cause of his illness.  He went to Mc D's this morning for breakfast, then came home and fixed a cup of hot tea.  He has lately been an iced tea drinker to avoid the sugar in pops but he's drinking hot tea now.  And one thing I have a good supply of is tea of all kinds.  I'd just as soon he go to Urgent Care but so far he doesn't want to.  I just don't want his problem to get to pneumonia.  He is now voluntarily resting and drinking the hot tea.  He is trying to take care of himself!

Our Christmas will be different this year, however, after Christmas when Jamie and Alicia are back from Milwaukee, we will get together, just not on Christmas Eve as we've done for so many years.  Also as many as can, will go to Jan's for a family get-together on December 30  because that is when Geoff and family from CA will be here.  So Tom has a few days to recuperate.

As for Dot, I don't know what she's going to do.  We already decided that she probably will not go to church Sunday.  I had asked Tom to take me, maybe stay, but that may be out too.  If he could just take me, come home, then pick me up again, I'd appreciate it.  I have one last payment on my pledge for 2017 and I'd like to take it to church rather than mailing it in. 

I haven't talked to Dot for a couple of days so I'll have to do that.  I also forgot to call Tom's former MIL on her birthday yesterday.  And I received some cookies from the condo association and I have to make a call about that!  I am not a phone person so put that off, usually delaying things to other days and late as usual. 

Joy, you're right, the lake is very calm.  We are at 31 degrees with little or no wind.  No wind, no waves! 

I gripe about the number of pills I take each day, but I wonder if those keep me feeling pretty good.  One is B-complex and I understand we do not store Vitamin B so it is important to me to take one every day.  And it seems I've been taking it forever. 

Patricia, I'd like to decorate more than I have, but Tom hasn't brought up my small tree and I'm not going to get after him to do it now.  I did put out my Father Christmases and that is my decorating.  Frankly, I don't seem to have the spirit this year and it may be because we are changing our tradition or maybe shifting it to a later date.  I'll enjoy it when we all get together after Christmas.  At least I do have family, which I think you do not have nearby.  I'm glad your inspection went well.

I got out Kendrick's toy yesterday and his eyes followed the movement of the lights and mouse, but he stayed in his scratch lounge.  I think he has it figured out that he isn't going to catch the mouse so he's letting it go round and round while he watches.  The next time I put it out, he may be much more active with it.

I guess I'd better make those phone calls now.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Thursday Afternoon,  everyone!

We had a nice morning so Kelly and I went out did
some grocery shopping and perused Good  Will.... 

I do believe that the rest of the week until
Christmas,  is going to be snowy and I am glad
that I have all my shopping done.

Wishing everyone the best...
love
Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Lindancer

Good evening, almost 7. Cold windy day again, but going to be much colder next week.  I did go to our Red Hat Christmas luncheon, Everyone dresses in black and white, but with red hats, a lot of of fancy jewelry, I wore my lancy rhinestone necklace and earrings that my husband gave me when we were married 15 years. Rhinestone were in style then.

Joy and MaryAnn, every few years I seem to get a bad case of sciatica, which last about a month. I use those sticky pads that are medicated seems to help. I was to have a sonogram one year for my heart and I could not have it, as I could not lay flat on the table, the pain was so bad. another time I was in Mass. at my sons and the only relief I got was to stand, so that was how I ate.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, I think Dot said she was more comfortable standing - at least for a while, but after standing a while, her back starts to hurt.  She can't win.  I talked to her today and she said her new doctor had given her some pills  to last 15 days and while they help, they also make her nauseous.  She said for 15 days, she could stand it.  Her daughter was there when I called so I didn't talk long; her daughter was doing some cleaning for her. 

I don't think Tom is feeling any better but he did go for some meds.  He also got supper for us at Cheers, where we often eat.  They have a good "take-out" menu and I had Dan's Roast Beef which was delicious.  It included enough meat for at least one more meal, if not two, redskin potatoes, baby carrots and garlic bread. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Sounds like Dot's sacroiliac pain, is very much like sciatica. I usually get it a couple of times a year, and as Gloria said, it lasts from three weeks to a month.  It doesn't slowly get better, it seems to just suddenly go away!  Then I treat myself very gently for a few days until I know its really gone.  The worse pain with sciatica, is rolling over in bed, or getting up out of a low chair.  Standing and holding onto the back of a chair is reasonably comfortable, but at our age we can't stand for very long without the legs hurting!
Good that Tom went to the doctor for his illness, and I hope that with pills and rest, he will be feeling almost normal by Christmas.

Gloria - Your Red Hat Christmas luncheon sounds like a lot of fun.  I remember when rhinestone necklaces, earrings and bracelets were very popular.  They always added that special touch to a nice dressy outfit.  A pearl necklace always looked good too.   

Patricia - glad you passed your apartment inspection with flying colors!  I would hate to have to pass an inspection here in my house.  Things are extremely chaotic this time of year, and the place is a mess. I hope to get everything put away by Saturday.     
I remember the applesauce with the cinnamon red hots!  Loved it, but haven't made it in at least 35 years!  Sounds good this time of year.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is to be another partly cloudy day and get into the high 60's.  I plan on staying home today as about wore myself out yesterday.  I made a trip to Walmart and there were no electric carts available so I had to walk.  I had to go from the pharmacy area to the auto section and then to the grocery isles, where I had to walk several of the isles to get the items we needed.  By the time I got home I was beat.  I even slept in a bit this morning.  Pat did get the shot in her back yesterday and seems to be feeling better this morning.  However, she couldn't sleep last night and after about 2 hours in bed she got up for the rest of the night.  She had taken a nice nap before dinner last evening. 

Mary Ann, while I have never had much back pain other than a few times when turning wrong but that would last only a day or two.  However, have certainly watched Pat go through terrible pain with her back so certainly feel for Dot.  I hope the pain medication will give her some relief.  Sorry to read that Tom is sick and hope by now he is back on his feet and feeling better.  He sure doesn't need pneumonia with the heart problems.  There apparently is a lot of flu down this way.  Last Sunday our minister suggested we not shake hands during the Passing of the Peace.  I don't think Christmas has been to difficult for Pat this year.  I take care of wrapping packages and grocery shopping.  She has placed a few Christmas decorations and done the online shopping. 

Marilyne, are lots of people suffering with the flu out your way?  Glad that AJ is helpful to you in getting ready for Christmas.  We had many wonderful Christmas times when my folks were alive and our families were small.  However, things have to change as time goes on. 

Patricia, nice that your manager gave you a compliment on your apartment care.  Do you have this inspection once or twice a year?  I think the shots are suppose to last for only a few months.  However, years ago Pat had some shots and her back was improved for a long time.  Since then there has been a lot of deterioration and increase in the arthritis.  So far so good with this current series of shots.  I am happy to read that you have been attending some Christmas events this week.  We usually buy applesauce that his cinnamon in it and it is very good.  We can never control what someone else thinks of us so shouldn't spend a second worrying about it, at least I don't.  I have never cared for the idea of opening my home to the general public as they do on these tours of homes.  We always welcome family,  friends and neighbors but that is our limit. 

Sandy, glad you were able to get out with Kelly and do some shopping.  It is a good feeling to be ready for Christmas. 

deAngel, it is nice to read that you were able to attend the Red hat Christmas luncheon. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone One from the
Cold and snowy, and soon
to be icy, rocky coast of Maine. 

I am sure glad that we I got out yesterday
with Kelly, before this incumbent weather
began gracing our streets.   It is going to be cold
snowy icy the next few days and then snowy on
Christmas here.

I have all I need until after then. 
The holidays are upon us and the
celebrating has begun.

Happy Hanukkah  and Merry Christmas to all!

:balloons: Sandy :balloons:

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

I just read this and it touched my heart and I want to share it with anyone who cares to read it. 

Two Babes in a Manger--In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on biblical principles) in the Russian public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words:

It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened. Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word.

Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city. Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel (cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia), were used for the baby's blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States.

The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6-years-old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy's manger, I was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger.

Quickly,  I  called  for  the  translator  to  ask  the  lad  why  there  were  two  babies  in  the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat the story very seriously.

For  such  a  young  boy,  who  had  only heard  the  Christmas  story  once,  he  related the happenings accurately - until he came to  the  part  where  Mary  put  the  baby  Jesus in the manger. Then Misha started to ad-lib.

He made up his own ending to the story as he  said,  "And  when  Mary  laid  the  baby  in the  manger,  Jesus  looked  at  me  and  asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no  mamma  and  I  have  no  papa,  so  I  don't have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn't,  because I didn't have a gift to give him like everybody else did. But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good
gift." So I asked Jesus, 'If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?' And Jesus told me, 'If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.' So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and he told me I could stay with him' - for always."

As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his little cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him - for always.  And the Americans? They had learned the lesson they had come there to teach - that it is not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that really counts. We should all give thanks for the people that "keep us" - in life - and for all of God's many blessings to us: freedom from want, life, love, togetherness.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
-Author unknown

Lindancer

Good morning, getting ready to go to the hematoligist for my shot. It is cold but not as cold as it has been.  Next week back in the 20's maybe snow for Christmas they are now saying.

Larry, that story was beautiful.

MaryAnn, I hope the medication helps Tom, also Dot gets to felling better soon.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Tom's family and I will have our Christmas "one of these days" but our whole family Christmas will be December 30 when the California family will be here with their 9-month old son.  Of course, James' family will be with us with their 10-month old girls and the Eaton Rapids family will be here with their almost-2-year old daughter.  I have stuffed animals for the youngsters and the adults no longer exchange.  So it will be eating and gabbing for the rest of us.

I hope both Dot and Tom will feel better by that time, but I'm not placing any bets on Dot, especially. 

Mary Ann

shirleyn

Larry, WOW - that was a beautiful story!

shirleyn.

wjoan

We had a bit of snow this morning, not sticking tho.  More to come off and on they say/

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior! I think Sandy and I are sharing the same weather! The cat and I are fed, cleaned and ready to go.

Larry, our lease states mandatory by yearly apartment inspections based on the date of move in. Since I moved in on a December, my two checks are June and December. I think with 196 one bedroom apartments and 20 studios,(one room and bath); the manager must be kept busy with inspections alone so probably appreciates ones where she can make a loop and back out again. I enjoy still being able to keep up with my apartment; many here can't, even if it isn't as clean as I used to keep it. I also no longer do the serious deep cleaning I used to do twice a year.

There are some here that hang out in one of the social rooms all day and always wonder what I can do alone in my apartment each day. There are others who think I should stable the computer and spend more of my time out shopping, playing cards or doing book clubs with them. Both sets seem somehow convinced that spending time alone is somehow detrimental to my well being. I see it as being essential to my well being.

The majority of my working life was spent dealing with and corraling people which is not a bad thing. However, after decades of that work, I enjoy time spent in my pursuits. I always feel sorry for the ones I see out early in the morning and again late at night waiting for someone, anyone to come and entertain them. I have a friend who everyone assumes will run the book clubs, arrange the shopping trips and volunteer at the drop of a hat. It is expected. I've sometimes wondered what she is running from.

I hope that Tom recovers soon, MaryAnn, so that you and he can enjoy the family activities and that Dot can find relief sooner than January second! I envy you your large family and the closeness. That is indeed a gift. Your meals out always sound so tasty!

I send out checks in October to my nieces and nephews, but as the youngest will be twenty-eight this spring, I included a note in those October mails that it would be the last year. My sisters and I no longer exchange birthday or holiday gifts and haven't since our folks died. None of us live close or see each other, and I haven't seen my nieces or nephews since they were small and they are scattered with a couple living in Europe.

Marilyne, my applesauce is a straightforward recipe which the crockpot makes even simpler. I do add honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg but have never heard of using red hots. I will have to look up a recipe. When I go to an event, especially this time of year, I always bring a small hostess gift and this year was my applesauce. The host always has little gifts for the guests as well so I am happily loaded with delicious jams, jellies, small cakes, and quick bread. I also have several fruits and or herb-infused alcoholic beverages that will be perfect for a snowy night the next couple of months. I'm lucky to be acquainted with so many wonderful bakers since I am certainly not.

My house isn't that tidy. I just do a quick clean the day before my inspections, and she never stays longer than a quick sweep.

Gloria, I hope those doctors and Taffy are keeping you healthy. I know Taffy is keeping you safe. Is your nephew still with you? I know Farrah is as essential to my well being as I am to hers. She is always evolving even now and interacting more and becoming more vocal with me.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I send my checks to my great-nephews and -nieces in early December so it will help with their Christmas shopping.  There are only five of them, plus Tom, and I probably will keep on gifting them that way because they need it more than I do.  I don't give them money at other times of the year; it is strictly a Christmas thing.  If I were to live next door to you in your building, I probably would do the same as you do.  I have never been too social.  One thing, after working 44 years, I don't do is much phoning.  By now my close friends have all died, but even after retirement, I rarely call anyone.  I do call Dot occasionally but she is the only one.

Kendrick and I just woke up from our naps and he went back to sleep.  I did not hear him jump on my bed and was surprised to see him there.  He's had his Christmas present already - the animated round mouse thing.  He's so funny with it because he watches the mouse go around and back; you can just see his eyes follow it.  Maybe if I left it out longer, he'd finally pounce on it but I get tired of watching it after five minutes.  So I wrap it up for another time.

Dot came over with some cookies, not as many as usual, but it appears she did do some baking that she usually does at Christmastime.  I also received cookies from the condo association but neither bunch will last long. 

I am not sure Tom is feeling any better but he's moving around.  Since Dot won't be going to church, I was going to ask Tom to go with me but now I think I'll ask him to take me, then come back home and I'll call him when our service is over.  He won't be going to his own church, either.  We're only about 4 1/2 miles from church.

Tom's lady friend brought us some Chinese food yesterday and I ate half of it.  I finished it this noon.  Last night Tom had to pick up some meds, so ordered food from Cheers.  I bought a roast beef dinner that included redskin potatoes, some onion and baby carrots.  I have enough for at least one more meal, maybe two.  It was delicious and better than either Tom or I could fix it.  The meat was very tender.  It cost $11 which I do not feel is bad for what I got.  If I were to eat at Cheers, I am sure I'd pay more because I might have something with it - like a salad. 

I know I wrote about last night's meal before but too late - I'm not going to delete it.

Joan, we had some snow too, but not too much to keep me from getting the mail today.

Larry, I sent your story to Dot who does not get on S&F.  It is the type of story she would forward to her list.

Time for me to shut up!!!

Mary Ann

angelface555

I enjoyed or should say I was moved by the story. However, I kept waiting to read that there was some follow-up for the child as it left you feeling empty.

MaryAnn, I usually text or email as most of the folks I know and businesses here do. The phone is more for taxis and dealing with problems and issues. Anymore, most places have 24/7 instant computer chats, so I tend to do more of that with issues. I have never been a phone person and always had an answering machine for my landline so I could call back if it weren't an emergency.

I would have probably continued to send the checks if the family was closer. And more importantly, if I received a thank you note, call or follow up on those checks other than the cashed notification. I do get Christmas cards, so I'm assuming that is my thank you.

I spent forty-nine years in middle management, so I've been burnt out on regular public interaction. Luckily I still have a small group of friends from work or other areas that I can interact with without needing to do it all of the time.

Mary Ann

I am watching the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on PBS and three organists with decorative stoles across their bodies are playing We Three Kings.  The organ has four manuals and the three men move around, changing their locations at the organ. 

I ate more of my beef roast of last night and I have enough left for one more meal.  Both Tom and I were astonished at the size of the meal, considering it is "take out".  By getting at least three meals from it, the cost is less than $3 a meal.  Can't beat that.

If he feels up to it, Tom is going out driving in the morning.  He likes doing the driving and it does bring in some extra money.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another overcast morning but not very cold.  This is going to be a pretty busy morning as will attend a meeting this morning and then stop once again at the grocery store for a few more items.  I thought I got everything on my trip to Walmart but that was not to be.  Our simple Christmas dinner has now turned into quite a production.  However, I am sure I will enjoy it.  Pat isn't having to do all the work as our granddaughter likes to cook and our son makes his green bean casserole and I make the 5 cup salad.  Pat will fix the ham in the Instant Pot as it takes only a few minutes as it is already cooked.  Jennifer is make the dessert and not sure what else. 

I am going to ask you all for a pass on individual comments today.  My desktop  computer has been acting up when I start out the last few days and freezes the mouse.  After 10 or 15 minutes it seems to be working again.  So it used up a lot of my available time this morning.  I have enjoyed each and everyone of your postings. 

Marilyne

A messy kitchen accident, has me running way behind this morning. I prepared the coffee, per usual, (Mr. Coffee), turned it on, and then went back to the bedroom to dress and get ready for the day, et al.  Long story short, I forgot to put the pot in it's place, and in that short period of time, hot coffee and grounds had flooded my counter top, and spilled in a big "waterfall", over the cabinets and seeped into drawers and onto the kitchen floor. :yikes:  A messy disaster that took both AJ and me a long time to clean up.  The grounds were the worst!   Then I had to completely clean Mr. Coffee, and run it through a water cycle, before I could finally make the coffee.  I'm trying to keep my cool, and hope that things will improve as the day moves along.  I still have a lot to do today!

wjoan

Mornin to all.  Sunny this morning with a bit of snow on the ground left from our "Snow Event" yesterday and last night.  That is what the weather site called it.  LOL  Hmmmm  At times we had large snow flakes that even I could see.  Not much out there this morning tho.

Slept in this morning so just having my morning pills right now and it is about 9:45.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, what a bad start for your day.  It's probably good to get the bad stuff out of the way and may the rest of your day get better.

Tom isn't feeling too well yet, but he's ordering our groceries online and will be able to pick them up whenever they tell him. 

Annie came over this morning and brought breakfast for both of us.  She is heading north to Northport Mi to have Christmas with her mother and her mother's friend.  I think her mother's brother and family and her grandmother also will be there, also her grandmother's brother.  Jamie is heading to Milwaukee to have Christmas with Alicia's family.  When the kids get back, we'll have our Christmas and on Saturday the whole family will get together because Geoff and his family from California will be here.  It is a vastly different Christmas than we've known in the past but we've known for years that when the kids marry, they have to accommodate the other sides of their families too. 

Joan, we do have some snow on the ground, but not a lot.  The temperature of 32 degrees keeps the snow and later this week, we'll have temps in the teens so that may be the beginning of snow for the rest of the season.  Those must have been huge snowflakes for you to see them.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mary Ann, tonight is supposed to be 17 degrees so if any precip out there and we will have snow for sure.

Mary Ann

Joan, our temp now is 25 degrees and I think it is to go to 19 degrees before morning.  I saw where after Tuesday we will be in the single digits and one night we are to be at 0 degrees.  I'm not ready for that!

Patricia, I am watching (kinda) Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins.  Guy Fieri is in North Pole Alaska.  One place was the Elf's Den and I've already forgotten the name of another.  Mostly he talks so fast I don't get the names any how, let alone the city where the restaurant is located.  I just noticed a name - Pagoda for another place.

Tom wanted to do some shopping and asked if I wanted to go along.  The place is called Global Infusion and sells items from certain countries under Fair Trade.  Tom gets things for his lady friend there.  She is sick too, not the same as Tom and she's heading for laryngitis.  Tom says she won't shut up to rest her tonsils, vocal chords, etc. 

I had my third meal of the delicious roast beef and I decided that was enough.  There is some left, but three times and out!

Tom is taking me to church in the morning, then will kill time at Burger King which is near church.  I'll have my phone with me so I can call him to pick me up.  I won't have to worry about the time because Tom won't be going to his own church, not with his coughing and hoarse voice. 

Mary Ann