Random Image

Brynn-Shea

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Patricia - Looks like we'll be getting all of your moisture starting today and continuing off and on all week. The weather person on the news last night, was showing his usual Winter map of the Gulf of Alaska.  Same old map every year, with arrows showing the direction of the front that will bring us three very cold rain storms.  This will bring lots of snow to the Sierra, which will make the skiers and snowboarders happy. 

Mary Ann - With so much going on everywhere, I had forgotten about Jan!  You didn't say, but I hope she's recovering at home now, and is no longer in the hospital?   What ever happened with her parents?  Did someone come to stay at the house to help with them, or are they staying somewhere else?   

Mary Ann

Patricia, I thought of e-mailing Ken, but I didn't want to bother him for a while.  I also feel some people here were closer to Jeanne Lee than I was that the "someone" might have some info that I don't have. 

Kendrick likes to sleep on my bed and my bedroom is not the warmest place in the condo, especially when the wind is coming from the north.  Last week Annie put a bag of catnip under a flap in one of his scratch pads and he likes to sleep there too.

I don't think my folks ever took advantage of home delivery of groceries.  It wasn't necessary; we had a car and Dad drove (Mother did not).  I remember going to the store with them and Mother would have a list and as she read off an article, the clerk would get it. 

Marilyn, Jan has been home several days and is recuperating.  Because the accident happened while Erin and Geoff were here for Christmas (we got together at Jan's on December 30, although Jan was still in the hospital) I think Erin was able to stay a couple days more, then probably one of the grandsons took over.  Jan has a busy schedule what with therapy.  One therapy I am interested in is her voice therapy.  That tells me she might have hit her throat on the steering wheel.

Tom hasn't said anything about going to see Jan today so maybe it will be Friday. 

Tom is fixing Italian spaghetti for lunch.  He does a good job with that and we haven't had it in a long time.  I have to watch him with his portions because I am not a big eater and I do not always clean my plate!!!

I put drops in my ears last night and flushed them out this morning but I am having trouble hearing so I may have dislodged some wax.  I don't want to go back to the hospital to have the wax removed. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

Marilyne, you're not getting our moisture.  :coolsmiley:   We are 555 miles from that gulf behind two mountain ranges. Our weather goes East or West depending on which mountain range it traverses. It rarely if ever goes from North or South. But I'll apologize anyway.  :)  Blame Anchorage which borders that gulf.

A friend of mine in the Idaho panhandle was snowed under last week. They were getting five feet of snow each day! I cannot even imagine that much snow!

Lindancer

Good afternoon, very cold, not so much wind, but sure does feel like snow.

Just got home from primary doctor, he said come back in 6 weeks.  He wants me to have more blood test.  I told him I see the hemotalogist Friday.

While we were out I went to Stop and shop, and got my grocery's, I take my pushmobile in with a basket so every once in a while I can set down.  They redid the store, so now I really have to hunt for things, also there prices seem higher, and they have stopped carrying some brands that I like.

Patricia, I had to buy new blinds, as Taffy broke part of the slats, trying to look out in the middle of the night.

MaryAnn, I am glad to hear Jan is home, I find just being home I felt better, and improved quicker.   When I first got married (73 years ago) I would go to Bohack or A&P with a list, and the grocer would bring everything to the counter.  In Bohacks the butcher was on the other side of the store, I remember sawdust on the floor. He cute the meat, the way I wanted it.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

Gloria, for new blinds, you might consider the vertical louver blinds and get some without chains at the bottom.  My full length blinds downstairs had chains and Kendrick liked to look out between the vanes and he made a mess of the chains and weights at the bottom.  I finally had Annie remove the chains and weights and the blinds hang free.  In this room, the blind is about 60" long and came without chain or weights.  The blinds pull to one side instead of down.  Cats can look between the vanes without destroying the blind.

I just took a nap and was waking up when the doorbell rang.  It turned out to be USPS with two packages for Annie.  When I went back to retrieve my slippers, Kendrick was on the bed and I don't know if he was there when I woke up or not.  I gave him a couple of pats and told him I was staying up; I think he is still on the bed.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - What a great idea!  I have those vertical blinds for my kitchen slider.  Have had them for years and they are always a tangled mess of chains and weights!  Winnie loved to play with them and bat them around.  I think he liked the noise they make?  Also, the chains touch the floor, and pick up dust, cobwebs and all sorts of other unidentifiable debris.  I wouldn't be able to sit on the floor, and remove everything, but AJ  has no problem getting up and down, so he can do it! :D

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another chilly but beautifully sunny day here in South Carolina and we will be getting into the mid-40's again this afternoon.  It seems to be the normal pattern here for a freeze at night but getting above freezing during the day.  The local weather said we have a chance to get a few snow flurries tomorrow morning during the drive time to work. 

Pat is quite ill with bronchitis.  Last night she got so weak that she had to call me out of a sound sleep to help her get up out of her chair and get into the bedroom. She was so weak she was shaking.  She is stronger this morning but still has a terrible cough and feels bad.  I don't think this is the flu as she has no other symptoms. I have no plans for today other than to be available to help her as she may need.

Mary Ann, it is pleasant to see everything covered in white until we have to get out in the snow.  I looked at the Walmart grocery page last evening as Pat was looking for the distilled water that we buy to use in the tanks of our CPAP machines.  She couldn't find it and I found it right away.  Under the grocery favorites it appears all the items previously purchased are shown and can be added to the grocery list.  She was feeling so bad last evening she shouldn't have been trying to do anything.  I think in the future when I know we need something I will be able to go in and add it to the grocery order.  I understand that grocery stores can only stock a fraction of the different items and brands and that companies actually pay for shelf space for their products.  You brought back a good memory of my childhood when we went to out little town on Saturday night and the clerks behind the counter would fill the grocery order.  There was no self-service then.  It was a time for a social contact and sometimes a movie would be shown on the vacant lot across the street from the stores and projected on a sheet tacked to a building.  How life has changed. 

Patricia, it sounds like it would be better if it just stayed cold and you only got snow to avoid so much ice forming.  As far as I know the only way to get groceries delivered it to order from Amazon and certain items can also be ordered from Walmart.  They do have a company here that will do your shoppiing for you and deliver it to your home for a cost, which would be worth it if one couldn't get out or have a way to get groceries. 

Marilyne, is there a mudslide danger from the fires in the areas around you?  It sounds like it will be a good time to stay in and dry. 

deAngel, isn't it frustrating when the stores move things around and you can't find what you want and usually there are no employees around to ask.  I hope you don't get too much snow and cold weather this week.  You remind me that the store where we got our groceries on Saturday night also had a meat market as there was no such thing as pre-packaged meat.  The owner of the store was the butcher.  I remember the casing that hot dogs and sausage came in and you would tell him how many you wanted and he would but off that many.  There was no sawdust on the floor. 

shirleyn

Good morning to all!

Larry, I am so sorry to see that Pat is in such bad shape.  Let's pray she can fight this setback & get back to normal.  She must be very frustrated to not be able to do for herself.  I know I would be.

Mary Ann, I also remember the type grocery store you spoke of.  When I spent summers on my grandma's farm, we would go to a little four corners grocer & he would get stuff off the shelves with one of those long stick things.  I  am also glad to hear that Jan is home and she is improving.

Linedancer, when I lived in a small town in the 60's & 70's, we had a meat market.  It was always fun to go in there, the butcher was so friendly & accommodating.  Today Danny and I will be going line dancing in our park clubhouse.  We don't always go there, as we dance regular on Thursdays & two days are a bit much.

And now I must run - hi to everyone!

shirleyn

Marilyne

Larry - I feel so bad for Pat!  I'm thinking of how helpless I would feel, under those circumstances.  Maybe she can see a doctor today for the bronchitis?  It doesn't sound like the flu. The flu that's an epidemic here, starts with an bad headache and fever, and then comes the cough and sore throat. 

shirley - The small neighborhood market near where I grew up, was similar to yours, but was an earlier time frame - late 1930's, and through the 40's.  For some reason, I remember the floors. They were a well worn wide plank softwood, and creaked when we walked around.  The butcher shop was off to the side, and did have the sawdust on the floor.  The butcher had a pickle barrel in the corner, and would reach down inside and take one out, and wrap it in wax paper and hand it to me.  I could make that pickle last for what seemed like hours.  I think we paid a nickel, maybe less? 

Lindancer

Marilyn, isn't it fun to go down memory  lane?  Old wood floors, sawdust, buying pickles to walk down the street eating them, when we were teenage. also real 5 &10 store. Kresge's you could get a 3 top cone, with 2 ice creams and orange ice. Lunch at Woolworth counter.  Oh! I had better stop.  Again my almost 94 years are showing. I use to like Annie's
Attic, in the old SN. A gentleman from Louisiana use to be in that post everyday. I for got his name.
Larry, I also think Pat should see a doctor. You also take care of yourself.

angelface555

Good morning from the warm Interior! I haven't ventured out on my own for two weeks or more. It was that fall on black ice in November 2014 that messed my knee up and put paid to my walking everywhere. Now the only time I go somewhere is with a guaranteed ride! Along with that, it has been raining for the last two days on that ice. Larry, you are right. Staying cold is probably better.

When I was a smoker, forty years ago, I would get cases of what they called walking pneumonia. That was one of the reasons I quit, that and my daughter asked me to. I hope Pat gets what she needs to get better and be able to feel good again. She must feel so ill and so frustrated as Marilyne says. It is nice that you are able to be there for her and to do things for her.

I also have vertical blinds on my balcony doors. However, they stay open as the balcony is recessed four feet, faces out over smaller buildings and the only ones to see inside would be someone on one of the ridges with a telescope. All that and it is my only window outside of the bedroom. Farrah has shown no interest in them probably because they don't move.

We had a neighborhood grocery, Lindys, when I grew up in the fifties. Other than no sawdust on the floor, and the meat in small refrigerated cases, it was as described here. There was also, downtown, Gordon's where they carried food along with other gear. There was also, a hat shop, a shoe store, and various small shops downtown.

In the late fifties, early sixties, there were small neighborhood stores on every block, similar to what a 7 eleven was but privately owned. We were small back then, only about 20,000 and no one around except one or two small towns and the occasional village. When I returned after having lived outside for twenty years or so, the town was a small city of about one hundred thousand and unrecognizable. It had exploded beyond its boundaries and the neighborhood shops had vanished and we had grocery stores that were malls in themselves.

After Vietnam and the seventies, the city began to see refugees and the growth of the University of agriculture and general arts into one of science and space which brought more European and Asian folks into town and stores selling what they needed and were used to come into being. It was an odd feeling to see playgrounds built when you were in school torn out and replaced as obsolete and the names of your parents' friends and workmates emblazoned on street signs and buildings. To know that some guy who often came over to drank a beer with your dad and waste an afternoon or went skiing with your mom had their name on a building. It was unsettling and you didn't know what that made you.

Gloria, I agree. Woolworth and its lunch counter were one of my requisites for after shopping as a teen and one of my first paying jobs. we had the two Dairy Queens when I was growing up but they were gone when I moved back. I loved those lime dilly bars!

wjoan

Shirley, good to see your post.   :)

Mary Ann

I took care of most of Tuesday.  I had a haircut appointment at 9:15 and after that we went to the restaurant next door for breakfast.  After a short stay at home, we left about 12:30 to go to the Orthopedic building to see the doctor.  The doctor gave me a cortisone shot and said to get another one in four months (that would be May).  He also suggested therapy so either later today or tomorrow morning, I will call to make arrangements for that.  We got home about 2 pm and the rest of the day is Tom's.

Larry, I am so sorry to hear about Pat.  That is serious and I agree with others who suggest she should see a doctor. 

I am hoping there will be some news from Hal about his heart attack and treatment.  He probably would report in Soda Shoppe, but he does post here too.

Patricia, my vertical blinds are in the family room at the patio.  Sometimes people do walk by and I'd rather they not see in the family room.  Kendrick does like to look out the slider window and it is much easier without the chain or weights.  He has a nicer view down there than he has up here because the window up here looks out on the back of the garage.

We shopped at Cooper's grocery and Norm worked for Mr Cooper, later John Joyce who bought out Mr Cooper.  The building is still there but is not a grocery store.  I think there were wide planks for a floor and I don't recall there being a meat market, but there may have been one in the same group of stores.  Eventually A&P or Kroger took over two stores and it was kind of like a Supermarket.  Later A&P built a larger store north of us and eventually Meijer built a small Supermarket near where I live now.  Now Meijer has a large Supermarket and we shop there occasionally; we get groceries at Family Fare.  Both Meijer and Family Fare do our shopping for us and we pick it up.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Eating at Woolworth’s counter is a pleasant memory.  My girlfriend and I used to window shop and then go have lunch at Woolworth’s.  I loved to look at all the women’s clothing in the local department stores’ windows.  The windows were always decorated so pretty, especially at Christmas time.

Larry, your wife might need some anti-biotics to get rid of that bronchitis.  My daughter has tendency toward bronchitis and sinus problems.  She had walking pneumonia when she first moved up here from south Florida.  Luckily she got treatment before it got more serious.  It can get worse so quickly in the very young and the us seniors.

Mary Ann

Woolworth's was kitty-corner across from our building so often at noon I'd have lunch at their counter.  A favorite was a ham salad sandwich. 

Kresge's was a few stores away and I sometimes ate at their counter.  I think mostly I took my lunch.  We had dime stores in that block - besides Woolworth and Kresge, we had Green and Grant. 

I miss the stores we had in our downtown and none of them are left now.  The downtown stores now for the most part are boutique-type.  We had a "nothing" mall near us and I used to say "if I can't find it at North Kent Mall, I don't need it".  The mall is gone, so I don't need anything now!  I really don't need much, so don't go to the present day malls, but one thing I miss is the quality of the merchandise and also the service.  When you really wanted to buy something, it was nice to have a clerk ask to help you and you really were helped.

Sorry, Larry, but I don't have any advice for Pat, except to GET WELL QUICK!

Mary Ann

JeanneP

MaryAnn. I thought I read on the Notice for jeanne lee from her son. He said that she had already been cremated and would not be any funeral so I don't think there is a Obit appearing in the paper. I notice that now. Lost a friend a month ago and his was fast. All taken care of in a day he passed. No obit. The Funeral Homes are the ones that write the Obits and if no Funeral then they would not do that. Cremations are happening more than burials around here any more it seems. 3 of my friends Catholic and still got Cremated. Really surprised me
JeanneP

Sandy

Good evening everyone.... 

Just got back from having a colonoscopy ...
Never my favorite thing to have... 

I am A OK .. have only a few polyps...  to be removed next year!
So I am very happy about that.... 

I sure am glad this is over with!

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Sandy, I had colonoscopies due to my colon cancer in 2000, and it is always better to look back on them! My polyps were removed during the colonoscopies, so I was surprised to read yours will be removed in 2019. I'm just glad you're back at home and resting.

MaryAnn, being on the fourth floor facing the river and only a few low industrial areas does have its advantages if not always visual appeal. I would not care to have folks looking in either.

Larry, the bronchial coughing is sure to aggravate Pat's shoulder and back, but I'm sure you and she have already been to the doctor.

One store I forgot to mention was NC Commercial co.; that started out as a shipping company by the docks in the eighteen hundreds and evolved into a store like a Sears or JC Penneys. That closed finally in the late nineties due to mall competition.

Another store, owned by a prominent family was Nerlands, named after the family. It was a high-end furniture, lighting and furnishings shop similar to a Pier One in style. It also began in the eighteen hundred gold rush era and was a supply store for homesteaders and gold miners that morphed into the store I remember.

It also closed in the late nineties after the second family generation died out and the third generation was more into name recognition and state politics.

Lindancer

MaryAnn, thanks for suggestion the vertical blinds, but I had already bought the new one, and my nephew had put it up.  At my slider h I have drapes. Taffy like to jump up at the squirrel when he comes near the window. The birds she just looks at, if a sea gull lands on the deck she gets all excited.
When my husband died 10 years ago the undertaker said the Newsday charge $400. for a small notice.  The local paper called me and would put a notice in the paper, but when I wanted to add the grandchildren, they said it became a paid advertisement, and thats what they write on the bottom of the notice.  Our local radio station puts it on in the morning for nothing.

Sandy, glad to see you safely at home.

Hal hope you are feeling better.

Larry, I am waiting to hear from you. Hope pat has seen a doctor.

Patrica, WE had and old department store named Swezey's It was so old my mother had worked for them when she was 14. They could not keep up with these new store. People worked for them long enough to retired.  If you bought a gift, they always asked if you wanted wrapped, and no charge.

MaryAnn, I grew up in Patchogue, was the largest town around, we had a lace mill, where I think half the town worked. there was 5&10 's On Ocean Ave and Main st. McClellan , Woolworth, Grants, Kresge and Hockisers . Other department stores  Swezey , Bee HIve and the large (for 1938) was J.C.Penny. it had 2 floors and at Christmas they open Toyland in the basement. That was a big deal, right after Thanksgiving  they open Toyland at 7P, I remember standing there in a large crowd, I must have been about 8 This week I have really gone down memory land, when we were poor and did know it. But basely happy.

angelface555

Gloria, of all those stores listed, the only one I knew was JC Penney's. They opened here in the mid sixties and closed in the late nineties when they started the first wave of closings. Co-OP Drugstore which was similar to Woolworth's except it was on three floors, opened their toy department on the third floor as you said, after Thanksgiving. Now the building is full of small consignment shops and specialty coffee or tea stores.

The Newspaper here has always done obits for free with no exceptions. No funeral home that I know of publishes any obits.

When I was growing up in the fifties, my mother worked for a variety of stores and businesses, finally retiring in the early seventies as a secretary for the librarian at a local high school. My dad after some welding and construction jobs started with the city as a welder and after 50 years, retired as shop foreman. They wanted him to run for city manager, but he was not a fan of politics.

I think we were about average income, but I was a kid, and we were like everyone else around us.

Mary Ann

Publishing obits has changed.  If no one submits one, there is none.  You can write the obit yourself.  I have no idea how much it costs, or IF it costs.  We lost a church member recently and he had a very long obit.  Some have small ones.  When my nephew Tim died in Livonia MI, it was not in the Grand Rapids paper, so Norm called the paper, gave them the info (some of it wrong) and it was printed.  I have an idea it differs with the newspaper and town/city.  I read obits that state there will be no service, but there is an obit.  I'm not going to pursue it; I just thought maybe someone who knew Jeanne Lee more than I did might have knowledge.

One of our three department stores was Wurzburg and at Christmas time they had animated displays in their windows.  There would always be crowds around the windows watching the animation.  Herpolsheimer had a train for kids that ran around the top of the walls in their store.  Wurzburg and Herpolsheimer were full department stores (I bought my bedroom set from Wurzburg in 1947) but the third store, Steketee, carried almost everything except furniture.  Stek's (our nickname for them) carried fabrics and that was always a crowded department.  My bookshelves are full of books that I bought on sale from Stek's library; the clerk would deduct what had been paid in rentals and I'd pay the balance.  Books did not cost much those days, at least not the type I read.  Herpolsheimer had a nickname too - Herp's - but Wurzburg did not.  None of those stores exist any more, not even in the many malls around the city.  Crazy memories.

Gloria, I recognized most of the store names you posted, but not all. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

When my parents died (Mom in 2010), the funeral home made the obit arrangements for us. We provided some info, but they did the obit and submitted it to the newspaper. My sister took care of the funeral arrangements so I don't know if they charged.

Aside from the old stores that were already mentioned, I used to frequent Bowman's, one of the last to have those great "going out of business" sales that really did slash prices, and they even sold the fixtures. I took advantage of the sale to buy lots of yarn and needles. Another, Pomeroy's, was eventually bought out by Bon Ton. I will also never forget Korvette's from which I bought my first records with my allowance. My favorite spot in the whole store was the book and record department. When we moved to Mechanicsburg when I was 14 or 15, I used to walk into town and cruise the several variety stores, a hardware store, a gift and art supply store, and Biddles, which sold all kinds of sewing and needlework supplies (some of which could not be found in the more modern department stores).

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is going to be a rainy and chilly day with the temperatures going down during the day and staying in the mid-30's.  They say we are going to have some light snow later this morning but it should melt as it hits the ground and pavement. 

I have a very sick wife as she definitely has the flu to go with the bronchitis.  I was able to get her to eat a little applesauce and a piece of toast this morning.  I just fixed a bowl of jello (the first I have ever mixed up I think).  The only thing besides taking care of her is to finish up the grocery order so I can pick it up tomorrow and to take care of Pat.  This evening I will meet the rest of the family for Wednesday night dinner at the Church.  They will not be coming out this evening.  Jennifer has a friend from Kentucky visiting with her for a few days and she will be my guest at dinner this evening.  I am hopeful I can avoid catching the flu from her.  One advantage of us both using the CPAP machines is that we don't breath on each other during the night.

Bulletin:  It is now 9 am and it is snowing in North Augusta, South Carolina and I just saw a weather report that we could get up to an inch.  So far it is coming down very lightly. 

Shirleyn, since Pat is battling the flu I expect this will last several days if not weeks based on what other people are experiencing.  Fortunately she is drinking a lot of water trying to stay hydrated and will be drinking PowerAde Zero to get electrolytes as well.  Glad to see you and Danny can enjoy line dancing.  That is something I have never done and know now that will not be happening in the future. 

Marilyne, as of yet Pat hasn't mentioned seeing the doctor but that may be in the future.  I think with flu one just has to let it run its course.  Fortunately she has a strong heart.  She is getting a lot of bed rest and didn't need my help standing or getting around yesterday like the night before last.  I also remember our general store having a pickle barrel for big dill pickles but they were not given away. 

deAngel, I agree it is fun to go down memory lane and we have great opportunities to do that in these discussions.  We had a Woolworth's and another dime store in the college town about 6 miles from where our farm was located and they had a nice lunch counter. 

Patricia, glad to hear you stopped smoking so long ago.  I so wish my son and granddaughter could and would stop but that is something I can't do for them and I won't nag them about it. Our little town where I grew up has no stores left and I think even the Post Office is no more.  There may be one gas station but it has been a number of years since I visited there and would have no reason now to return. When we first moved to Georgia in the 1980's our county had around 100,000 people and it is a large county.  However, I just looked it up and see the population is now over 907,000 people.  Sure glad I don't live there anymore.  We just had a Dairy Queen open near us this last year and they still have Dilly Bars but don't know if they have any lime ones or not. 

Mary Ann, sure hope the shot helps your shoulder as well as the therapy.  It seems that many malls have closed.  We still have one nice mall here in Augusta and a large shopping center area that goes several blocks with a lot of the big name stores. 

JeanneP, you are right about what Jeanne Lee's son said regarding cremation and no service. 

Sandy, glad you had a good report from your colonoscopy.  Never fun but so important. 

MarsGal, I am not familiar with most of the stores you mentioned.  This has been an interesting discussion of our memories past.  No one has mentioned Montgomery Wards.  My mother worked there for several years and I think she also worked in Places, which was another 5 & 10 store. 

Jean, it will have to be Pat's decision to go to the Prompt Care facility if she need to see the doctor.  It wouldn't do anygood for me to suggest it.  Pat uses a presciption inhalor three times a day and takes Guifenison which help break up the congestion. 

Mary Ann

Larry, we had a Ward's in our North Kent Mall and that closed when M W went out of business.  Our Sears store was at a southend mall and about two months after we bought a washer and dryer there, maybe two  years ago, they went out of business.  I'm just not good for business (or departments); at Consumers Power I had a reputation for changing departments whenever I was moved there.  By changing, I mean the name might be changed or the department might be merged with another or eliminated.  I worked for the company for nearly 44 years but I did work in the appliance department for 25 years until the company discontinued selling appliances.  Frankly, they didn't know what to do with me!  I worked there 13 more years before I retired. 

None of our downtown stores are the "old name" stores.  Where Herp's was is now the police department.  We used to have half a dozen theaters downtown and the only one left is now the Civic Theater that has area participants.  The movie theaters are all in the suburbs/malls in the south end (we live in the north end).  Tom does go to a movie occasionally with Annie, but I don't care for them any more.  A theater we had in our area is now a car dealership.  We seem to abound in car dealerships all over town.

Larry, I hope Pat will consent to see a doctor.  She is a case where it is too bad doctors don't make house calls now.  Having the flu and bronchitis is serious for us older folks. 

I can't say the cortisone shot in my shoulder helped, but maybe I'll feel more positive effects today.  I don't have confidence in the shots because I don't recall any benefit from the ones I had three years ago.  I'd like to be able to lift the right arm higher than my elbow and that is about as far as I can manage now.  The doctor told me to have another shot in four months and that is what the previous doctor said.  After that shot, I went back in two months and the PA said I should return in a month.  I didn't see any results so I never went back.  I'll see how this one goes before I got back in four months. 

It is about 17 degrees this morning with no snow expected. 

I've written enough.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Larry, my best wishes for Pat to have a speedy recovery. I've been very lucky in that I can count maybe only three times I had the flu (one I am not sure about) in my life, and none since the mid-80s when I was taking college classes. That one was a doozy; it left everyone I know who had it weak for a month or more after recovering from the main event. I had bronchitis once; don't ever want again. It sure is nice to be able to breathe.

Regarding the stores I mentioned: Pomeroy's and Bowman's were regional to the Central PA area. Bon Ton, which I used to think of as local to Carlisle is now a chain headquartered in York, PA and Milwalkee, WI. It operates several different store brands. I just saw that our local paper says Bon Ton may file for bankruptcy, but hasn't made a final decision. It will, at the least, be closing 40 stores, but the link to the list will not load for me. Biddles was a single, tiny but packed store which had a small selection of clothing, and what-not on the ground floor and a large selection of sewing and embroidery materials and accessories. I don't remember any yarn there. When I lived there, I rarely missed shopping the downtown Mechanicsburg stores, which were mostly local, at Christmas time.

I guess I am going to have to soon go out to shovel off the sidewalk and brush off the car.  :P

Marilyne

Larry - I'm so sorry to hear that Pat has the flu.  If it's the same strain that's causing the epidemic here in California, it is a serious one.  It seems to be attacking all age groups here, but of course harder on us older folks.  They say that if you got your flu shot, it will protect you somewhat, and you will not get as sick. 

The small town where I grew up, was actually a suburb/"bedroom community", outside of Los Angeles.  We had our own downtown, with all the familiar stores like Penney's, Woolworth's, W.T.Grant, plus lots of locally owned shoe stores, dress shops, fabric shops, music stores, drug stores and two movie theaters.  No department stores.   For big department stores, restaurants, and the excitement of the city, we took the streetcar, and later the bus, into downtown Los Angeles.

Everything is changed now, and nothing looks the same. Nothing is recognizable anymore.  Even my high school has been demolished.  It was a lovely and imposing structure on the North end of Main Street.  Beautiful Spanish architecture, built around a spacious open courtyard filled with benches, grassy areas, walkways, etc.  They tore it down in the 1970's, and built condo's where it once stood. :(  The school was relocated to a side street, and consists of a bunch of generic looking concrete block buildings.  No personality or character whatsoever.  The changing face of American cities!

Sandy

Good Morning After from the rocky coast 
of maine.....   

Larry   so sorry to hear that Pat is ill from the flu etc.. 
(does it ever end??)    I hope that she is getting better soon
and the flu by passes you.   

Snowing like the devil here ... glad all my
hospital stuff is over. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Larry, sorry to hear Pat has both.  Give her a hug from me.   

Lindancer

good afternoon, We did not get the snow as forecast, it is now raining, but may get light snow later.  the west end of L.I. got snow.

MarsGal, your remained me of Korvettes. the first of those store to open was In NYCity, it was so crowed we almost walk through in a line, it was the first of it kind of the discount stores.  I am still wearing a half slip I bought in Korvettes for $1,  Caldor came in where Korvettes was in Riverhead.

Marilyn, Where I use to live in Southampton, the still have Hildreth's Department store, Same building and it was started by the Hildreth family, in 1853, still in the same family.  I believe they advertise as the oldest Dept. store in the US.

Larry, I sure hope Pat gets better soon, My thoughts and prays are with both of you.

MaryAnn, we still have plenty of care dealers.  In Riverhead we use to have two theaters now we have a bank where it it use to be, Grants had been next to it.  the other one is now a dinner theater.

Marilyn, Some of the new schools look like factories.  The grade school here is over 60 years old and is very impressive  with it tall columns in front. the new high school entrance is all glass.

Now we are on memory lane, how about the ice cream parlor, we all went to after the big high school games were over. WE still have one in Riverhead, that has not changed much in over 50 years. In Southampton we had Sip and Soda. On my corner we have Snowflake, which is a drive in. You just stand at the counter, int the summer the lines go out the door. According to Women Day it has the best vanilla
ice cream in the US

Mary Ann

We have a couple of sports bars near here.  One is Cheers, named after the TV show, but nothing like it in construction.  The other is Score.  In summer, they have an outdoor area where they put beach sand in back of the restaurant and the beach backs up to water brought up when the road was improved several years ago.  Both are "family" restaurants and there are TVs around the walls of both places.  Tom and I often go to either of the restaurants.  I like it when we can go to the outside part of Score where they have round tables with umbrellas, seating six or more, palm trees and soft music.  You really feel you are on the beach.  I understand they store the palm trees at Meijer Gardens, not too far away. 

We do have the conventional pizza places and my favorite pizza is an uncooked vegetarian pizza from Papa Murphy.  Tom goes there occasionally to get a pizza, then brings it home to put in the oven.  Another favorite of mine is ham and pineapple which Terry introduced me to when we were in London in 1988. 

Other than that we do not have any fancy restaurants nearby until we go toward Rockford.  There are a lot of them in the south end but I don't care to drive 10-15 miles or further to a crowded restaurant.  With my retiree friends we usually go south but to more casual restaurants.  We could, but do not, meet at Mc D's or Burger King.  We sometimes eat at Russ' in the south end, and we have one a mile from here, but I am the only northender of our group so Tom takes me south and finds another place to eat.

Mary Ann