Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 10:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Good morning from a warm, snowy Interior! Alaska is on the front lines in global warming, and the University here hosts an international task force that has been working for the past decade to find answers, concentrating on the northern sphere.

Since the effects of global warming are here and now and not in some distant lifetime, we are now dealing with the consequences of what used to be called one hundred year storms and events that are now so commonplace as to be assumed exaggerations.

It has moved from a proclaimed political myth by those with a penchant for open pockets to a series of events affecting politics, immigration, world populations, food crops, animals, insects, bacteria and microbes. See it not as one grand event but as filling the enclosure. Two events that might be comparable would be the political landscape of the nineteen thirties or the vast migrations in Europe after World War II.

MarsGal, I'm assuming that there will be more funding and more exploration of current theories, discoveries and more political interest in space exploration; now that the moon is seeming "up for grabs." Isn't gravitational lensing a part of Einstein's relativity theory? Wasn't that first proven or established in the late seventies?

Shirleyn, I'm hoping this last treatment and the weeks following will not rob you of energy but make you stronger! I had my colon cancer in 2000, both of my sisters and my father had it in the period of the nineteen-eighties through two thousand.  My mom had breast cancer just a few years before my dad. There are times when genetics aren't that wonderful!

Jackie, I know of no one, other than you personally with MS. But you know you have all of us here for you. When you're feeling depressed, just remember that you're strong, you're determined, and you're not alone!

Larry, I'm hoping that your visit tomorrow with the cardiologist provides some answers and some treatments for you and to regain back some of your energy. I also wish you luck in finding answers.

Marilyn, my cells are smartphones (androids); but I never think to watch S&F or much of the web on them. I also do more texting as I'm one of those who doesn't make long phone conversations. I learned texting because it was used in my jobs, so I guess I'm used to it.

My mailbox is inside as there is a large multipurpose room with security offices, maintenance offices, and the manager's office, as well as the mailboxes and package pickup counter because the delivery people go no further. It's right next to the main locked entrance.

Because I usually have an empty box except for circulars and insurance fliers, I check for mail on the weekends. The only action it sees is a flurry of bills at the end of the month. The seven HUD apartments are behind that large area, and the first-floor kitchen and the common room is next to them. So, I try to avoid that area as you get dragged into lengthy meandering conversations.

I've had three people post each time I tried to and each time I re-edited my post. Now I'm just going to see if I can eventually slip it in.

CallieOK

Good Morning,

Finally having a sunny not-quite-so-cold day in central Oklahoma. 

Marilyne,  you might be pleasantly surprised at how your grandchildren would respond to a text.  I use that to communicate with my three all the time.  Works better than e-mail and definitely better than phone calls.

Mary Ann ;)  at the "well done" hamburger. Like your adaptation of the other one - a "dressed up" version of a Sloppy Joe that a friend of mine would call an "Untidy Joseph".

Shirleyn,  so glad the chemo is done with.  Hope you feel betterer and betterer. 

Jackie,  I have no experience with MS but can sympathize with something that makes you ache/hurt all the time.
I've always enjoyed your posts about life in rural (?) England.

Larry, best of luck at the cardiologist's tomorrow.

Better "hustle my bustle" so I'll be ready when a friend picks me up for a meeting.  The program is the head of Ethnology (sp?) at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum  https://nationalcowboymuseum.org/about-the-museum.  I'm not even sure what that term means  ;) Should be interesting.

Enjoy your day, Everyfriend.
[/size]

Mary Ann

Callie and Marilyn, Tom's daughter once requested that I Text her, however, I have a TracFone - old - and I cannot text on it, nor can I text anyway (don't know how).  She now answers my e-mails and/or phone calls.  She is my great-niece, comparable to a granddaughter.

Callie, let us know what you learn about Ethnology

It's just after 1 pm so I think I'll find something to eat - no Sloppy Joe.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

At last I got to go out, yes sick of looking at four walls for so long...Last week I phoned for details of a weekly lunchtime group ( they go by the name of " Recycled Teenagers.." )  who meet in a large church hall ( told one doesn't have to attend the church to the side as I found today that some members dont go to it..)...This club has around 50 or 60 attendee members who go there once a week for raffle - bingo - bring and buy, cup of tea,  they even lay on day outings throughout the year... Age group are seniors, several have walkers - sticks and I am assuming many are dealing with various ailments...This as expected turned out to be a very friendly group and a very enjoyable 3 to 4 hours...I - we shall be going again next week, and the week after and so on, just what I need, company and conversation and things taking place to take my mind off my illness - illnesses for a few hours...I am in dire need of broadening my social life, and feel this is a step in the right direction....
" There is no present like the time "

shirleyn

Jackie, thanks for your quick answer.  Last week I had sores in my mouth and mentioned it to my chemo nurse.  She looked at it & said it was Thrush and gave me a prescription and a mouthwash, which cleared it up within a few days. I, too, was thinking all kinds of bad things it could be. Good luck with yours.

Thanks to Marsgal and MaryAnn for the good words.

Marilyne, got a kick out of your Iphone experiences.  Sound a lot like mine.  I also have Kindle on mine, & usually have a book going.  Which helps when I have time on my hands with nothing to do.  Besides Facebook I also have my mail.  But have not put S&F on mine yet.  Another task to figure out.  These passwords and such are so time consuming.  I have pages and pages of passwords.  Geesh!

Mary Ann, you said you had a package of celery and onion.  What name  and where did you get that?  I love the taste of celery, but hate to buy it, as I usually throw out a lot of it.  Onions I use a lot of.  In your concoction you could have thrown in some cooked macaroni.  We used to call that goulash.  It has different names in different areas.

Patricia, if things go the way they did last time, I expect a bad surge of energy next week.  Therefore, I am trying to keep things up and running this week.  Hopefully I will be home-free after the first of the month.  Hopefully!!

Thanks Callie!

Jackie, so glad you enjoyed your day out with others.  I hope you can continue to do this.  It helps to get with others to get your mind off yourself.  I have found this out myself.

And here is another book!

(~_~)
shirleyn

angelface555

In my opinion, texting is just typing with a smaller keyboard. I don't use thumbs but hunt and peck just as I do on a regular keyboard, (I've gotten quite fast!). Or as my mom used to call it, "The biblical method, seek and ye shall find." Some people are more comfortable with pencil erasers for use in typing or those rubber ended objects made for cell phones.

You can use business text or family and friends text. My android has an audio feature that I've yet to set up that allows you to speak your text. I know the iPhones must have that as well. I have Alexia set up on my phones and kindles. I didn't ask for it, it just came with updates, and I don't use it. However, it might also text for those so inclined.

Mary Ann

Shirley, I don't know if this will help you with the onion/celery mix.  The brand name is Open Acres and distributed by Pique Brands, Inc, Grand Rapids.  They used regular vegetables, but I wonder if you bought some cut-up celery and used two or three green onions, if that would work.  I've got to use the rest of these soon because they are fast going bad.  One thing I forgot in my combination was some leftover rotini macaroni and chicken (not much chicken) that I included.  As Callie said, "untidy Joseph". 

Patricia, as I wrote, my TracFone is old and there are letters on it for adding names.  Perhaps I could text but I'm not sure and I'm not going to do any texting.  I do not use that phone except when going to appointments and use it to call Tom to pick me up.

Jackie, at your previous residence, did you not have an MS group that you met with for socializing?  Your new group sounds a lot like what I remember you telling about and I think you enjoyed the sessions.  I hope this new one works out for you.

There's a picture of Larry in my Random Image next to this spot.  I hope things went well for you today, Larry, and that you will be your "more recent" self soon.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...at my old address I was newly diagnosed and not aware of MS monthly social evening groups, although I was a member of a local MS Therapy Centre which runs during the daytime, every day, but these are two different things...If I want an MS Therapy Centre now, I have to travel three times the distance to the one I had back home...guess it is swings and roundabouts...I cant have, nor dont have both...

Shirleyn...
...I am hoping it is only thrush, ( this is not affecting my teeth nor gums ) as it has also been causing me some swallowing problems and swallowing problems is one of MS's problems which i could do without...

MarsGal

Yes, gravitational lensing is part of Einstein's work. I just never paid much attention to it before, except to know what it is at the simple definition level. I just last night wondered just how much of the light sources reaching us are the real deal or the gravitational copies.

It has warmed up sufficiently that we are not getting any of that freezing rain they were originally calling for. It is 43o now and rising to over 50o by morning.

angelface555

MarsGal, you know far more than I. My assumption was it was reflected star light on a type of "space dust."

We are back in the pluses again with a temp of 19 at 3:36 and a low projected of plus 15. Of course, it is snowing but little to no expected accumulation. The next few days are expected to jump up into the plus thirties.

angelface555

CHANGE ALL PASSWORDS NOW!!!!!

Why You Should Care About the Collection #1 Data Breach

"The latest data breach wasn't an attack on a big company. Instead, Collection #1 is a massive database of 773 million email addresses and 21 million passwords compiled from a number of breaches.

So what? About half of the passwords haven't been revealed in earlier breaches. The whole database is being sold for just $45, which makes it affordable for any cybercrook. And, it's likely just the beginning. The hacker that's selling Collection #1 has four more collections of data.

So it's very likely that a password to an important account is in hackers hands, especially if you created the account a long time ago. I used my password manager's password health feature and found out that the password for one of my retirement accounts had been compromised. It was a company I'd stopped working for years ago, so it wasn't top of mind.

We walk you through how to find out if your passwords have been compromised and what you should do if they are. And even if your passwords aren't in Collection #1, change any that are weak.
Read more
Suzanne Kantra
Founder, Techlicious"

https://www.techlicious.com/blog/773-million-email-data-breach/

Mary Ann

https://www.mlive.com/expo/life-and-culture/g66l-2019/01/4ca2a212001490/see-the-soo-locks-drained-of-millions-of-gallons-of-water.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=grandrapidspress_sf&fbclid=IwAR2veKAKvt4tmWUjgSCslJtyl2fy_rFmAPMNgLsWo2km91aC8UFAoXgmpe0

This link is to work being done at the Soo locks, preparing for winter and to be able to make repairs.  When you get to the scene with the bottom of the Poe Lock, that is the end picture; beyond that are ads.

Tomorrow our high is to be 29 degrees and the rest of the week will be in the teens.  I have no desire or need to go outside.

Mary Ann

shirleyn

Jackie, yes, I had throat sores and couldn't swallow (even had a hard time swallowing water).  Nurse said it was like vaginal yeast, only in the throat.

shirleyn
~_~

Joy

Good morning on this dreary THursday morning.

I didn't get here yesterday. Just got busy and didn't make it back.

ShirletN,  there is a mouthwash called "Duke's Solution", or Magic Mouthwash that you can either get a Rx for or maybe even the pharmacist will mix it up for you.  It is usually a Benadryl, Lidocain and Maalox mixture.  It is a magic fix. Mouth sores are very common when taking chemo.  And it does work.  Sometimes it is called "swish and swallow" Some directions tell you just to swish it around and than spit and swallow whatever is left in your mouth.   WHere you went for your treatments, was thee a Nurse Navigator assigned to you?  They  are a go-between you and your doctor and I am sure would be very familiar with this solution.

Jackie, I am so happy that you have found another support group that you like.  That is so very helpful and I do remember that where you lived  before, that you had found a group like that.

I need to get some breakfast and then, will try to check back later.

Do hope that Larry will feel well enough to let us know how he made out with his doctor's appointment.  Wishing him good luck that he will get some helpful answers.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Not very busy today, in B&T?  I'm hoping we soon hear from Larry? I think his cardiology appointment was this morning?

Joy - Good to see you here, but looks like we're the only ones so far.  four hours between your post and mine! 

Mary Ann - I very much enjoyed looking at the link you posted for the Soo Locks. Fascinating photos!  Who knew, that so much work took place there, during the Winter months?  The last picture, of the empty Poe Lock, was an amazing sight!  I looked at the photos last night, so don't remember if they said when the water will be let back in?  Probably a lot more minor repairs and checking to do, which will take some time.

Joy

Gosh, Marilyne. Sure is slow today.  I am eating my lunch and thought I would check to see if Larry had made any comments.  Strange that MaryAnn hasn't been around.  it is a very rainy, dreary, lazy day here.  But, it is not near as cold.  I think they said it the cold temps would return, soon.

Need to clean up my lunch dishes and go get dressed. I am playing cards tonight, so I don't usually get dressed until the afternoon. 

Hope all is well with everyone.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, when the menu for S&F came up on my computer, there were no entries for B&T so I did not start anything.  Now there is something, I can reply. 

It is a dreary day here; I had thought our temp was to get to 40 degrees, but it had better hurry as it's only 27 now at 2 pm.

My krazy kat!  My breakfast this morning was sliced bananas with Grape Nuts and milk.  I didn't know that milk had a strong odor, at least to cats, because Kendrick sat in front of me, almost talking to me.  I kept telling him to be patient and he was - almost.  When I had finished the food, I let him have the milk and he drank every bit.  Then he sat nearby licking his chops.  Do you suppose he liked the milk?  He doesn't get it unless I have cereal.

Last year I sent a message to the daughter of a second cousin because her DNA matched mine and I didn't hear from her.  Yesterday I did so I've been busy getting info on her family.  I had met her grandparents when we stopped to see them maybe more than once. 

Tom is teaching today and wasn't feeling well when he came home last night.  When he is finished with the class, he is picking up a friend and his wife at the airport and taking them to Fremont MI.  As I've said, he burns his candle at both ends.  I can't get him to slow down; I fear for his health - but he does too.  He just can't say NO.

Mary Ann 

Marilyne

Mary Ann - As I said in my last message, I was fascinated with the Soo site that you posted yesterday.  I sent it on to AJ, who sent it to a friend that he thought might be interested, and he was.  He wants to know more, so I'm sending him the web cams from Duluth and The Soo.  I hope he doesn't lose interest before the ships all return in March.

I've also been spending time recently on Ancestry.com, and received some information about relatives on my mother's side, that I was unaware of.  I also found out that in my paternal grandmother's family, way back in the mid 1600's, there was a Duke of Hamilton, in Scotland. That's about as "Royal" as it gets in my family! Ha ha!

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  I just now have the opportunity to post.  I am too tired to write anymore this evening.

Mary Ann

Hi Larry, it's good to hear from you.  Rest up, now.

Marilyn, you're a lot more Royal than I am.  On my mother's side, I'm mostly English, but some Irish and Scottish got mixed in. 

I wish the Soo would show some of the work that goes on in the winter (live, I mean) but I think it would not be practical.  Today when I looked at the site, it was snowing hard.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...take it easy and now rest your body...sounds like it has been a rather long day...

so_P_bubble

fascinating!  Thanks Angel

Vanilla-Jackie

Hmm not a good wake up call this morning....The dog barked 7.30am, and through my bedroom curtains I saw flashing so Richard got up to the dog, I got up thinking a fire was burning outside, of course once up for me I stay up ( and I did oversleep to my norm of 5 or 6.am ) found out it was the dustbin men-cart, with the back of the truck facing into my bedroom, and the kitchen window with all its lights flashing ( so inconsiderate )...No it wasn't the dog, nor the early time but I moved out of bed as fast as I could thinking we had a fire outside, of course Richard goes straight back to his bedroom for another couple of hours, I am the early riser and back at the computer with my first cup of tea by my side...

Joy

Good morning.  I am marking my place and will check back later.

I need to get some breakfast and come back.  Hoping to hear some good news from Larry later.

It is a pretty sunny morning, but still cold.

I did play cards last night and it was not a very good game for me and my partner.  One hand we were so bad in the hole that we didn't even count our totals.  The last hand was a lot better, but didn't help too much.  It just seems that the other team just can't help but win, most of the time.   But, after all, it is just a game, but it does get a little discouraging sometimes.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Patricia, I read some of both links, but it is hard for me to read these days.  I don't know if it will get worse, but I do know it will not get better.

Jackie, that was a rude awakening but at least there was no fire.

Joy, too bad your card hands were not good, but better luck next time.

Tom enjoyed his teaching yesterday and is back there again today.  It was a band class.  Tom can't sing, but he does have rhythm and thoroughly enjoyed the class.  He told the regular teacher if she could pick her subs, he'd like to be the one.  He said he was treated to a concert at the end of the day and the kids are all good musicians.  After school he went to the airport to pick up a friend and his wife, then took them to Fremont.  Tom was not/is not feeling good and wished he had not committed to picking up his friends, but that is Tom!  He got home at 10 pm last night - a long day for him.  He isn't feeling much better today but wanted to be with the band again.  I hope when class is over that he'll come home and rest.  He did cancel his Bible study this morning so he could sleep a bit later.

I hope we do hear from Larry today, but I also hope he'll stay in bed longer if he needs the additional rest.

I looked at the Soo this morning and it is snowing there; everything is white.  I think they are working where we can't see.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jackie - Some day, your hearing will be as bad as mine, and you will no longer be rudely awakened by the weekly trash/garbage/recycling trucks, or the Monday morning noisy Street Sweeper vehicle.  That one, somehow sucks leaves and debris out of the gutters, and grinds it up.  They all still come early, but I'm so deaf now, that I sleep right through it.

Joy - Win or lose, your card game offers you  some companionship, and something to do once a week. I think I might like that about living in Senior housing. As it is, I only watch TV or read at night.  We used go for walks in the evening when the weather was pleasant, but neither of us is able to do that anymore. 

Mary Ann - Sounds like it was good for Tom, to substitute in the band class.  It probably gave him a lift, and made him feel better.  Sorry that he hasn't been feeling well, and I hope he makes an appointment with his doc, and gets checked out.  I don't blame you for worrying, considering that both of his brothers had health problems.  I hope he feels much better today.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We have a beautiful sunny morning and it is to be partly cloudy the rest of the day but no rain in the forecast.  My cardiologist thinks I am suffering from severe dehydration probably caused the the higher dosage of Entresto that I have been taking for several weeks.  So she cut it back to 1/4th of what I was taking.  I have to go back for a series of blood tests Monday or Tuesday and then again in 7 days.  She also took me off of the Digoxin that I started a few weeks ago and changed the diuretic and told me not to take the statin drug  unless my diastolic pressure is 63 or above.  It was 40 in the right arm yesterday and 41 in the left arm when the nurse took it yesterday.  I finally got a fairly good nights sleep last night after having a cup of Camomile Tea around midnight. I had been getting very little sleep for the last few days.   I am having trouble concentrating and it took me better than an hour to remove medicine certain medicine from my pill boxes and get the right dosage in replacement.  The doctor told me not to expect immediate recovery.  She wants me to limit my fluid intake to no more than 1 1/2 liters of liquid a day due to the kidney disease.  I have read all of the postings but don't have the energy to try to make replies to the good posting.

Mary Ann

Larry, it seems that your cardiologist is on top of your situation and I hope she keeps up with your condition.  Since you had said you had not heard from your regular cardiologist, this one must have been the substitute.  I think I'd hang on to her.

Marilyn, I seem to hear OK, but it is the enunciation that is bad.  And now, reading is bad and that won't get any better.  As I often say - Old age is not for sissies!

Mary Ann

Joy

Larry, so good to see your message today.

As  I wrote over in the Soda Shoppe, sounds encouraging.  Just  keep resting and in time,  it sounds like you will be feeling lots better.  Sounds like the doctor is right on top of everything.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Joy
BIG BOX