Random Image

Sunrise2

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe July 4, 2017

Started by Jeanne Lee, July 04, 2017, 04:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halkel

Larry, jams and jellies go good on pancakes and waffles to.  I prefer it  as a matter of fact to syrup.

June Drabek

Happy Wed. Morning dear hearts. I am very sleepy. The fireworks kept me awake till nearly midnight. They were so loud,sounded like they were right outside my window. I was able to view some of the very high ones,but we have tall pines it the garden that blocks a lot of  the sky. I woke at five a.m. so there will be a nap this afternoon for sure.

We have Bible study at 10, with Jeff Davis, whom I like very much.My Gary and Dori are still in Idaho , be home a week from today.

speaking of canned jams and jellies, my mom always sealed hers with hot wax, about 1/3 in. thick.

We will have a high of 86 today..to me, that's hot. So after lunch I   will come home and get dressed in slouch clothing (comfortable). I have a book to finish, and three more on my table waiting. I hope your day is all that you want it to be.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JaneS

JUNE, my mom always sealed her jams and jellies with melted wax also.  Thank goodness we don't have to do THAT any more!  I think that might be why I stopped making it for a while

HAL, you're absolutely right!  Jam is good on waffles and pancakes.  And my grandmother used to use it to sweeten her tea....regular hot tea and iced tea too.

Good on Corn bread and corn muffins, a dab on a piece of plain spice cake is special.  And a dab of black raspberry jam on a scoop of chocolate ice cream is to die for!  Use your imagination!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Lindancer

Good afternoon, not quite as hot, was able to read my paper on the deck this morning.

Joan, we are missing you, hope everything is OK.

When I made beach plum jelly, I always use the wax method. that it what we used in days gone by.

Amy, I have never head of rhubarb muffins. I would like to try one if Hall leaves any. :)

Gloria, when we visited Mark on the Cape on the 4th. he always made sure in the evening, we all set and watched the Boston Pops.  I use to enjoy them.

Larry, I tried to watch the Macys firework show, but I just could not get into it.  Did watch the Capital 4th. and enjoyed it very much.  Of course I always liked the Beach Boys, they have aged gracefully At the end I enjoyed all those flags and the patriotic songs.  I watched just a little of the fireworks.  The music was great., but the fireworks get boring on TV

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

CallieOK

I watched The Capitol Fourth and then switched to the Macy's Fireworks Spectacular just in time to see all of the fireworks and hear the marvelous music by the military band and chorus.
This morning,  Miss Ellen posted a short video of those fireworks from where she and three friends were watching.  Couldn't tell where that was but they had a wonderful unobstructed view of the river.

JaneS and others with raspberries.....the last time I saw my "domestic" dil, she wondered what to do with all the raspberries they had picked from their bushes.   While sorting out some cookbooks,  I found one from a Raspberry Festival in Iowa that I'd probably attended while visiting relatives...who knows how long ago?   There are some interesting recipes using raspberries so I'll save it for her.

The phone woke me this morning about an hour before I intended to get up.  It was my neighbor telling me they were leaving to take their two grandchildren on a cruise, when they'd be back and who to call in case of an emergency with their house.   I already knew all of that !!!!!

Naturally,  I couldn't go back to sleep.  I've managed to water the pot garden, do some desk work, go to the bank and stop by Braum's to restock dairy products.   Now I'm ready to be a Recliner Radish for the duration.

Wishing Everyfriend Everywhere an Enjoyable Day.

halkel

Linedancer, I left all of you some muffins.  I had never heard of rhubarb until I went to England.  Course it is kinda a cold weather plant and I don't think it is grown in Texas.  But I ate it in pies.  More of a cobbler, sorta, I think. But guess that could be a topic for discussion.  Over there it is often served with custard over it.

I remember my Mother in law made an apple pie, not many spices in it.  I suggested she try using some cinnamon in it next time.  It was an instant hit.

Mary Ann

Hal, another name for rhubarb is "pie plant".  Some people combine the rhubarb with strawberries for jams, makes a good jam.  At the house where I grew up and lived for 50 years, we had a pie plant that my dad planted.  Ate from that plant until I moved away.

Mary Ann

Denver

A good Wednesday afternoon to ALL. 

I am sorry to have to report that Our Joan is back in the hospital.  Joe posted on Face Book. 

Hello All - I wanted to let you know that Mom (Joan Lavelle) is back in the hospital, this time in Alabama. As happens with COPD, she needed more support for her breathing and related anxiety.  Hopefully, this will be a short stay!

We all hope and pray it is a short stay as well.  Feel better soon JOAN!

I am sorry I did not get in yesterday to wish you all a Happy Independence Day.  We joined Dr. Dave and Family at their community 4th of July sponsored picnic by their HOA at noon.  It was a very nice catered picnic.  The usual fare, hamburgers, hot dogs with all the fixings.  The BBQ beans were so delicious.  There were so many there it was crazy.  Can't even imagine how much something like that would cost?  My oldest Grandson, Matt, was so attentive to me, helping me get my food and making sure I had everything....sure makes a grandma feel blessed and so important.  It was very enjoyable. 

We came home afterwards......it was quite warm out and our puppy dog was waiting for us.  We spent the rest of the day at home.  We, too, watched both the Macy's and the PBS 4th coverage.  The PBS one was very enjoyable, but the Macy's one was not to our liking.  Both fireworks displays were very good.  There were two big local displays visible from our home.  Neighbors with little grands visiting set off quite the display in our cul-de-sac.  The children yelling was annoying to Oliver but thankfully he was not bothered by the big loud bangs that went off until nearly midnight.  The fire truck went by around 10 PM, so clearly there was some issue not too far from us.  I personally think fireworks should be left to the professionals ONLY, but people just do not understand that no fireworks means for THEM!! 

I am trying to finish up my laundry so must get the dryer unloaded. 

Enjoy the rest of your day, EVERYFRIEND!

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Amy

Jenny , thank you for letting us know about Joan, pray her stay is short in the hospital.

Our load of wood came so I know what I will be doing for the next few days. Just have ti get kindling now and winters fuel has been taken care of.

Muffins were good and the men delivering the wood went home with some to have on their break time. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Jeanne Lee

I didn't go to any Fourth festival, but I have been spending my days in England this week - and will next week, too.  I'm home every afternoon at 4:00 p.m......  when the tennis matches end for the night.  Sure beats housework.   ;D

I'm really sorry Joan is back in the hospital and I hope this will be a short visit.  We need her around here.  Thanks for passing the word, Jenny.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

well you all are mean today talking about all that gooooood sweet stuff. You all know I have sweet teeth not just sweet tooth. well I have to go and take a shower. was mowing the yard and ran out of gas in the mower and me also.
so i pulled the choke on and got it to run long enough to get it into the garage.
I will fill it tomorrow and finish the yard. have a great rest of the day.

Lloyd

JaneS

I'm home and I'm tired but my last customer made my day worth while.  He is about the age of my son (mid 50s) and he didn't have a lot but when he had it all back in his cart he looked straight at me and said "Thank you for helping me tonight".  What a way to finish my day!

Now I'm going to go see what's playing on the TV set on the inside of my eyelids.  And I think I'll go to bed early.  I have bills to pay tomorrow and that's a thankless job! 

Good night and God Bless!

June Drabek

Jenny, thank you so much for giving us Joe's message on Joan/Bis. COPD is a cruel disease to live with and it can be very frightening, so hospital care is essential. Prayers will continue. Bis is such a vital lady, it must be very difficult to have to accept the essential help. I thank God she has such loving children and to Joe especially for keeping us so informed.

While I was up late last night due to the awful noise of constant fireworks, I snooped the net for what we spend on fireworks. A short synopsis follows.
USA Today.
So how much money is spent on fireworks?
   â€¢   Total revenue: $1.09 billion
   â€¢   Consumer: $755 million
   â€¢   Display: $340 million
Other areas posted "Billions". and Disney will not say what they spend. We make China more wealthy as they are the major producers of fireworks.

And then there is this:Food Stamp Craze: U.S. Spends $3.6 Billion to Give $70 Billion in Benefits.Which is more important ? Food stamps or Fire works ?

Janie, what a lovely way to bring your work day to a close. It makes my heart happy.

I have lived up to my slouching day, now it is time to fix some supper. Have a good evening dear hearts.

halkel

Bless Joanie's heart.  She has had such a go of it these last few months.  Joanie, lots of prayers for your speedy and complete recovery.  We miss you lady.  Please take care of yourself and post us a note when you feel up to it.

:(

JaneS

Prayers for our Joanie.  Of course, they never stopped but I'm stepping them up again.  Good night all!

Denver

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Lloyd Hammond

A man was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching his  wife, who was looking at herself in the mirror. Since her birthday was not far off he asked what she'd like to have for her birthday.
'I'd like to be eight again', she replied, still looking in the mirror .

On the morning of her Birthday, he arose early, made her a nice big bowl of Coco Pops, and then took her to Adventure World theme park. What a day! He put her on every ride in the park; the Death Slide, the Wall of Fear, the Screaming Roller Coaster, everything there was.
Five hours later they staggered out of the theme park. Her head was reeling and her stomach felt upside down.. He then took her to a McDonald's where he ordered her a Happy Meal with extra fries and a chocolate shake.
Then it was off to a movie, popcorn, a soda pop, and her favourite candy, M&M's. What a fabulous adventure!
Finally she wobbled home with her husband and collapsed into bed exhausted.
He leaned over his wife with a big smile and lovingly asked, 'Well Dear, what was it like being eight again?
Her eyes slowly opened and her expression suddenly changed.
'I meant my dress size, you f@*#*! retard!!!!'
The moral of the story:
Even when a man is listening, he is gonna get it wrong.

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Another beautiful day here. Our truck load of wood came yesterday and it is half way piled. I was making one pile smaller when the neighbour came over and helped me making it disappear fast!  Will do the other pile today and hope to get that one  done before VON gets here.

This was sent to me in an email and I was asked to share with you. At the beginnig you hear the loons and that is what I was listening to the other night at midnight ,the loons were really singing up a storm across the lakes.

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/zuVsHt3rBnc?rel=0

Hope Joan is feeling better and praying for a quick recovery for her.

I need to get a move on here...

Enjoy your day everyone..
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!

Amy, I loved it!  It's so nice to hear the call of the loons and the young fellas did a great job on the song.  I think I heard that one of them was a member of the Canadian Astronaut team.  Am I right?

I've got everything ready to can the rest of the black raspberries and as soon as I get my morning stuff done, I'll be getting that done.

The furgirls go to the beauty shop at noon today so I have to remember not to be involved in something that can't be interrupted to take them. 

I hope you all have a lovely day today.  We're supposed to have rain but I'm not going to let that slow me down.  Well, rain IS good sleeping weather, isn't it?  I guess I'd have to slow down some for that.

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. well I see two of my best girlfriends beat me in here today. I know what they say girls  about the early birds get the worm, but seldom as it any more I get a good nights sleep when it is working I take advantage of it (guilty I slept all the way through last night). no nature calls and the bed is also dry.Have a great day everyone. I ran the lawnmower out of gas last evening. puled the choke on and got it in the garage. last evening.
I will gas it up and finish the yard cutting this morning and most likely finish it and then take a mid morning nap.

Lloyd

halkel

Good morning everyone.
Well I got up a little early to call England, no answer.  Guess they are out.  I am off to bible study this morning,then over to see my dentist and then to Walmart to pickup a grocery order and the home.  I thinkiam going out to eat withy daughter and hubby.

Let the dog out to take care of things and WOW another hot humid day......

Blasted iPad doesn't know how to spell....changes things to suit itself.

Amy enjoyed your video brought back lots of memories.  Thanks.

Lloyd Hammond

Amy enjoyed your video. But when I was going there missed all the good times. I and another fellow was hauling horses to a plant where they slaughtered them fast froze the meat and flew it to France , they eat it over there as a delicacy. not my bag I love my horses. Moseley pet them now days but still hitch them to a wagon and take a drive.  while back I traded for a veizeave  ( for you that may not know what that it it is sort of like a stagecoach you see in western movies but with out door s on side of it. I am fixing some damage it has and am going to drive the old girls to it. when I get it shape shape you can come see us and go for a free ride in it.

Lloyd

Mary Ann

Amy, thanks for the Canada song and video.  I hope you don't mind, but I sent it to a shirt-tail relative in BC.  She is an American citizen who married a Canadian man, now deceased, and who has not given up her American citizenship but will be buried in BC.  Howz that for confusion?  I know she'll like it. 

Living so close to Ontario, Canada, I could feel myself doing many of the things mentioned in the video.  We may have loons in Michigan but not around where I live.  I love hearing them.

It is 70 degrees here at 9 am and supposed to be at least 80 later in the day.  Being Thursday, I have nothing planned, but will take the day as it unfolds.

I, too, hope Joan's hospital stay is short and that she can return to us soon.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi everyone. It is already 80 degrees this morning and headed up to 94 with sun or mostly sunny all day.  We didn't get to the Chop House yesterday as the man installing Scott's Direct TV didn't finish until about 4pm.  So Scott and Jennifer went to the Wifesavers and got us all chicken dinners with sides for our evening meal.  We now plan on going to the Chop House on Saturday afternoon around 2 pm.  The only thing I have planned for today is to go to coffee.  I probably won't go to the Wisdom group today as I got up feeling weary and this heat really is a bit hard on me.  I may watch some of the golf later this afternoon.

I know it is hard to believe but I am going to be very brief this morning as I have to leave before long.  I read all of the postings before I got up this morning and appreciate each and every one of them.

I was certainly sorry to read that it was necessary for Joan to go back to the hospital to get aid for her breathing.  Sure glad she is now close to her family. 

Lloyd Hammond

I am praying we get some good news about Bis soon. sun is shining bright here and is 68 º and saying to go to high eighty's today. got to 92 º here yesterday.
Hope it dos a turnaround and we get some of Ame's cool and some rain and with out this offal humidity.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Late getting started today. So nice and cool I just stayed in bed longer and fell back to sleep. The weather has been just about as perfect for July. Upper 70's and low humidity. Who could ask for better?

HAL  I can believe your wife is tired after the long flight and time difference. I know when I used to go visit my daughter in San Diego it always took me a day ot 2 to feel rested, same with coming home. Always came home on a Friday to have a couple of days before going back to work.

AMY  is the whole summer had temerature and humidity like this I could learn to like it.

LLOYD  you are not the only one who has slowed down.

MARY ANN  the Boston Pops Fourth progra was always wonderful till the last few years. Now I just cannot enjoy it. Wonder what Arthur Feilder would think of the program he started so many years ago.

JANE  bet the jam would taste great on a rhubarb muffin. I love rhubarb, too. Been years since I made a rhubarb pie. I did not hear any fireworks going off around here at all. Maybe the town cops finally craked down on those who alway illegally would shoot them. I loved hearing those pops when I canned.

LARRY  the Boston Pops always end with the 1812 and fireworks. While summer fruit is here I intend to make the fruit drink. First time I added a mandarin orange and forgot it last time. Will not forget it today. Just fruit and a container of yogurt added and it is tasty.

JUNE  when I first learned how to make jam and jelly I was taught to use the waz to seal it. The jars with lids are much easier and better.

GLORIA de  you would not enjoy the Boston Pops now. The music is geared to all the young folks and you know what their music sounds like. They seemed to forget it is our generation that helped make them so popular.

CALLIE  my oldest son has red raspberry bushes but they never did anything with them. I would get some but just to eat. Shame to see most go to waste.

HAL  yes you need the cinnamon is apple pies. annot imagine one with just sugar in it.

MARY ANN  never heard rhubarb called pieplant around here. I like strawberry pie and rhubarb pie but not the combination of them.

JENNY  thank you for the news about Joan. Not something we want to hear. She is always in my prayers and will add more for her. I  am glad she is close to family now and they do not have to do all that traveling to be with her. Even the professionls with fireworks have accidents at times.

AMY  how thoughtful pf you to send some home made muffins with the men who delivered your wood.

LLOYD  you and me both with sweet teeth. Hardly ever turn any down.

JANE  if only more customers were as nice as that last one you had. How many ever say thank you to you?

JUNE  Food stamps are not a craze. They keep may good people from starving.

LLOYD  good joke.

AMY  loved that link. I have a niece who has been looking up our geneology and she has been sharing with me what she finds. Many of our ancesters came to the states from Canada. I know my Father was born in Canada.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

CallieOK

Adding my prayers and good thoughts for Joan......

Amy

We are truly blessed with good neighbours!! I was out in the cool of the morning piling the last pile of wood and over come the neighbour and his dog. Wood was all piled before 10 this morning and now all the chaff from it has been raked up and bagged to take to the dump.

Jane yes Chris Hadfield is on that team. I love listening to the loons at night, I have even had them fly over my head so close that I can hear the wind in their wings.

Hal, glad you liked it.

Gloria,do you know what province he was born in?

Lloyd, not really all that cool here 78 ° at the moment and clouding over.

Mary Ann ,glad you also enjoyed it. Share all you like . :)

Better go wash and wax the van ,get it ready to go to the city tomorrow.
Jimmy Dean

June Drabek

Hi all, nearly noon our here in Ca.  I came in late as I needed to take a walk and do a few errands...like return a library book, pick up some bakery for tomorrows breakfast. Today they had french doughnuts and other goodies. I don't go down for breakfast..I am slow in the mornings, so I grab some bakery stuff they display. And I needed a walk to bring myself alive.

Gloria, I am NOT anti food stamps. I know they are essential. I was just comparing the waste of money on fireworks, compared to the NEED of money for more important things. Like food stamps. I well remember when I was in school and Pres. Roosevelt had a program where excess food was sent to our fire stations in all the small towns around us and my Dad would go down and pick up what was given. Once I recall oranges, another time it was corn meal, and we WERE hungry. It was like Manna from Heaven to our empty stomachs. So I lived through that era, and I don't want anyone else to go to bed hungry.

JaneS

Hi Everyfriend!  I have 11 jars of black raspberries canned and sitting on the counter popping like crazy.  They sure will taste good when the snow flies! 

I baptized my new electric canner and it's wonderful!  I wish I'd had it 20 or so years ago.  I wish my mother had one.  I wish my grandmother had one! 

Also want to say, we were all great about wishing one another a Happy 4th of July and we all got in on it.  If I'm correct, even Amy wished us all a happy 4th.  But are any of you aware that Canada celebrated CANADA DAY on July 1 and not one of us wished Amy a Happy Canada Day?  That's part of the reason The Hadfield Brothers had that song on YouTube.  They have parades and celebrations and, I think, fireworks on THEIR day. 

AMY, BELATED HAPPY CANADA DAY TO YOU AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES FROM ONE OF YOUR AMERICAN FRIENDS!