Random Image

Grandpa

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe July 17, 2017

Started by Jeanne Lee, July 17, 2017, 01:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeanne Lee

SODA SHOPPE
for week of July 17

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Jeanne Lee

Look what I discovered that Joan had saved in S&F!

Jeanne Lee

And today's chuckle:

A minister was planning a wedding at the close of the Sunday morning service.

After the benediction he had planned to call the couple down to be married for a brief ceremony before the congregation.

For the life of him, he couldn't think of the names of those who were to be married.

"Will those wanting to get married please come to the front?" he requested.

Immediately, nine single ladies, three widows, four widowers, and six single men stepped to the front.

*Thanks to Pastor Tim for this joke!*

Lloyd Hammond

Jeanne Lee thanks for passing it on. cute one, but If Nancy goes home before me I will not be among that #'s unless a very rich lade asks me and convinces me I can have a free hand to spend her money with no fuss. I am too old to even toy with the Ideal of raising more children even as I love them I want the grands and great grands to just come and go home for a short while but often.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

I posted in this old one but I clicked on the here for the new one and nothing happen's

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Getting ready for the dentist this morning!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Amy

Good morning everyone..

Off to the  city this morning for another appointment. Looking like more rain here..

Hal, I love the sound of the pipes... good chuckle thank you!!

Jane, hope everything goes well at the dentist and your not too sore afterwards.

Gloria,with hubby's health we need a Dr. and this one is so nice! He talks with you not at you.

Jeanne Lee, nice graphic and chuckle too! Thank you.

Joan, hope each day finds you stronger, prayers for your recovery.

Need to put an egg in my boot and beat it this morning

Enjoy your day everyone
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

phyllis

Thanks, Jeanne Lee. That is one of my old graphics that I had lost when the old computer crashed.  Thanks for showing it again.

Hot and humid and rainy forecast for this week.  The A/C and I are very close friends.
phyllis
Cary,NC

larryhanna

Hi everyone. We are in for another cloudy and probably rainy afternoon and evening.  We should only get to the mid-80's today, which is a very pleasant change from the high 90's we have been having.  I have no plans to leave the house today so it should be a quiet day. 

Amy, you were fortunate to be able to be treated by the same doctor for thirty years.  Pat and I are changing our primary care doctor to one much closer to us where we don't have to get on the Interstate and drive for 25 or 30 minutes to get there.  We have no complaint with the doctor but just the location.  When we first came here we had trouble finding doctors who would accept new patients.  Hope you both will be able to attend the party for your retiring doctor.  What a blessing for Shirley's sister to have the cancer disappear.  I will share the link you posted for the quilting pattern with Pat.  She always is looking for new patterns.  She keeps adding to her stash of fabric and finding new patterns.  I think she would have to live and quilt a lot for the next 70 years to use up all of the fabric.  However, I don't mind as it brings her a lot of pleasure.  She often takes advantage of the daily or weekly sales on fabric that Missouri Star Quilt Company offers.

Gloria, sure hope today is a much better one for you than you had on Saturday.

Shirley, it sounds like you have your sprinkler system working well.  I wonder about the "Golden Year's fable also. I suppose for some they are golden but for many who suffer from aches and pains and diseases they really are more like rust. I also find that regardless of how I am feeling I can always smile and be kind to others. 

Hal, that was a good one you shared about the bagpiper.   

JaneS, I will also stop and ask directions.  Fortunately GPS has about eliminated the need to do so anymore. It sounds like you enjoy your enchiladas as we do.  That is something we often enjoy both at home and when eating out. 

Lloyd, how scary to be held up and have a gun pointed at you.  Glad you weren't hurt in those events.  When we lived around Washington, D.C. we drove through some really bad areas of the city but only once. 

deAngel, glad to see you have a neighbor who is so thoughtful to check with you about needs from the grocery store.  Sure hope that A-Fib doesn't bother you today.

Jenny, with all the building going on out in your area it is undoubtedly difficult to find workmen to do things like the updating you would like to do.  Your description of the building spree reminds me of what was happening in our are of Georgia right before the housing and economy crash, which brought everything to a halt and a lot of people lot their homes as had been sold houses beyond their ability to make the house payments. 

June, I am sure you will be happy to spend some time with Gary and catch up on the news of the trip to visit their family.  You said you were going to "just fall apart" yesterday.  Sure hope all the pieces came back into place this morning. :)

Jeanne, thanks for getting us started off on a fresh new week and that is a beautiful graphic from Phyllis.  Another good pieces of humor.  It just shows you have to be a bit careful about what you ask for or you may be surprised by the resutls.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the relatively cool,
but more humid rocky coast of Maine.   (67 deg/F).

I am going to head out for a short walk down the street
to pick up some meds.     Tomorrow I will go off with Kelly,
now that she is home from her trip.      I will also see Fe who
is walking ...    wowzer!!       How quickly they grow up.

Have a good day,  everyone.   

Hi Joan,  hope that you are doing better.

Sandy
:smitten:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

June Drabek

Jeanne Lee, thank's to you, and Bis, and pastor Jim..it felt so good to start my morning here with a laugh.

Janie, with God beside you all things will go well, and I pray your healing is quick.

Amy, I hope the cracked egg shells are not too uncomfortable. Clever joke tho, thanks. I know how it feels to have a Dr. talk "with" you. That is what we need.

Phyllis, I'm glad your graphic was posted, can you save it on your hard drive..it is a restful scene.

Larry, thank you my friend. I checked myself over this morning and find that all the parts are in the proper place and my brain is not fried. Eyes are calling for the glasses..ah..that's better. The only "must do" for the day is watering my potted plants, and that will be a pleasure.

Sandy, too quickly these wee ones turn into little girls that want to be grown ups. This current picture of her is my favorite, it seems I see a little impishness tucked into those beautiful eyes.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

CallieOK

Lindancer

Good afternoon, it is now cloudy and very warm, with high humidity.

Thanks Jeanne, loved that graphic

June, your brain is never fried. No one puts into word so beautiful as you do.

Jane, good luck at the dentist.

Lloyd, I have wrote before, i have had a gun with a bayonet pointed at my chest, in a Adana Turkey airport. they thought the small box of brass souvenirs  I was taking home was a bomb, until I got my suitcase open for them.  they even locked down the airport. Of coursed they laughed after, but I did not as I knew I still had to go through the Istanbul airport.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

June Drabek

Gloria de, how many years ago were you in Turkey? in todays world I can see how that fear of weapons in the airport would happen, but was the world crazy when you were in that situation ? The farthest I have been out of the U.S. is dozens of times when our mid-west relatives wanted to go to Tia Juana, Mexico, and one night spent in Vancouver,Canada. You can see I can claim no fame as a world traveler. I would have loved to have spent a week in Vancouver, but my husband was always too aware of saving $$$$$. I shall not complain, his caution in finances then has allowed me to live where I am now.

Jeanne Lee

The Lord is certainly taking good care of me.

I've had trash and garbage pickup by the same small local business for about 10 years now.  Saturday I found a note in my door that a new company would be doing the job, with a phone number to call giving my mailing address and asking any questions. 

My main concern of course was price and found out that the very reasonable charge would not change.  The girl asked whether I had a "can" or need one.  I explained that I can't handle using one, that it's the limit of my ability to get the individual bags onto the front porch for some kind soul to move to the roadside. 

She commented, "OK, I'll note that you need someone to get your garbage"  I thought, "OH, yea!  that's going to happen." 

To my surprise, a young man knocked at my door this afternoon, explaining that he was from the trash company and that in the future he'd be coming on Friday, but today he would take anything I had ready.  He said in the future he would take anything on my front porch and if nothing was there he'd knock on the door and take whatever I had in the house.

And this extra concern at no extra cost!

Like I said, the Lord sure does look out for me!

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee, it couldn't happen to a better person.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good to hear this Jeanne!!
Congratulations!   

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Shirley

Jeanne Lee, that would be a miracle happening if a "trash service guy" came to the door here!  We have several companies that "work our street" but all charge the same (different days).  We've had the same service about 30 years, price keeps going up.  Cute joke & thanks for the new home.

Phyllis, that is such a pretty graphic.  I wish I could figure how to operate the PSP on this computer, don't remember which is it, newer version that went with Win 7 & now 10.  It works but my brain doesn't like change.  :tissue:

I was hoping Jane would report in... my heart goes out to her with the dentist today. 

Gloria de.... I had the agents spending quit a time looking at the Xray or whatever was used, at a pop can opener that traveled in my tote bag (before pop top cans).  They were trying not to to ask me but when I saw their hesitation I opened & pulled it out & they sighed & let me go on through.  This was in San Francisco or LA... Things being as they are now, I'm happy to stay on the ground riding on my own 6 wheels! 

Callie, you haven't been talking much lately.... heat taking the starch out of us?  Sure is me! 

I cooked my green chili today & made the extra "hot sauce" that goes over everything.... now to stuff the corn tortillas.  I used to do a fast fry & drain the tortillas on paper towels but found they taste the same when wrapped in wet paper towels & given a nuke in the microwave.

I offered to take some to son's family tonight, this was the day my DIL's mother was to have a visit with the new doctor to evaluate what nursing care she needs to go into.  Her Alzheimer's has progressed faster than anyone thought it would and finding an opening for Memory Care has a long waiting list.  This is the worst of all diseases, in my opinion, so far nothing helps, and she is scared of not being in control when she has always been the one in control. None of us get to pick our issues or even where & what is our preferred life style.  Best we can do is plant ourselves where we want to spend our last years and hope for the best.

Better quit thinking and go feed cats.  Tom & Tiger are laying on the end of the bed right behind me.  They get their exercise at night, I have not been letting them come in & out like before, I need my sleep~ 

JaneS

Hello Everyfriend!  I actually made it to the dentist office at 10 after 7 this morning.  On the way, I was thinking that it's been a long time since I contracted to be anywhere at 7 a.m.  The earliest thing on my week's agenda is church at 8. 

My dentist is the best!  I didn't feel anything except a pinch on the other side of my mouth when his finger pinched my lip against my teeth.  And they advised me to take two Advil before the anesthetic wore off so the pain would not be so bad.  I did and it wasn't .  The worst of the whole deal was that the anesthetic made the whole sid of my face feel numb.  I absolutely hate that feeling!

Right now, there's a little twinge but the bleeding has stopped and I've been eating mashed potatoes and apple sauce most of the day.  Not a very classy menu but it works for me!  Tomorrow I start the salt water rinses. 

And that's about what my day has been.  My daughter and granddaughter stopped to see if I wanted or needed anything.  I don't so they went on about their errands.  Natalie and husband will be leaving tomorrow and I really am glad I didn't have to tie up their time taking care of me. 

Hope you all had a good day.  We just had a gigantic gully washer of a thunderstorm and both doggies are under the desk. 

Shirley

June Drabek

Janie, creamy cottage cheese is easy to mash between your tongue and the roof of you mouth..apple sauce...I buy it in the little containers. Cream of wheat, cream of rice lots of juices.

JaneS

June, my apple sauce is my own home-made from last fall.  I do it up in small jars that are just the right size for lunch or a snack.  I forgot about cottage cheese.  I think I make a foray and pick up some of that tomorrow.  And I do have some cream of wheat for breakfast.  I was thinking an egg nog would be good, too.  Thanks for the ideas! 

Good night everyfriend.  I'm off to bed.  I wish you all a peaceful night and may God bless us every one!

Amy

This came to me this morning in my mail.

Hope it is ok to share here..grab a tissue!!

Will you give this to my Daddy?

As a Company, Southwest Airlines is going to support 'Red  Fridays'.

Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was in the airport returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to  clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camos. As they began heading to  their gate, everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering. 

When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for, it hit  me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red-blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course, I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal. 

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women, a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of  the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said 'hi.'

The little girl then asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her. 

The young soldier, who  didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and what did she want to give to her Daddy. Then suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little  girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq for  11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter Courtney missed her father, the young soldier began to tear  up

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers  huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military-looking walkie-talkie. They  started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it..

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, 'I spoke to your daddy and he told me to  give this to you.' He then hugged this little girl that he had  just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying 'your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very  soon.'

The mom at this point was  crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet, he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire  event.

As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there  were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and thank God for them  and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's good to be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon,  you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The  reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the  'silent majority'. We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers.

We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions. Many American, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of Americans supports our troops.

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect  starts this Friday-and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that.  Every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar will wear something  red.

By word of mouth, press, TV  -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers.

If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers,  friends, and family. It will not be long before the USA is  covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once 'silent' majority is on their side more than ever; certainly more than the media lets on.

The first thing a soldier says when asked 'What can we do to make things better for you?' is...We need your support and your prayers.

Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear something red  every Friday.

IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

Good morning

Yesterday Dr appointment went well. Shopped at Costco  had lunch and boogied on home. Saw a lot of spoiled hay from all the rain we have been having.

Have a date in the garden trying to get ahead of the weeds after I chase the dust bunnies first.

Enjoy your day everyone..
Jimmy Dean

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I slept well last night.  My "space" barely hurts at all and it's stopped bleeding completely. 

AMY, that "red thing" isn't new.  But since I have to be in uniform for work on Fridays, I make my statement with sox.  I always wear red sox on Friday and I just recently bought a red tank top to wear under my navy blue shirt.

I made an egg nog for breakfast and it was pretty good!  Now I'm going out and put the coffee on.  Anyone want to join me?

Lloyd Hammond

JaneS your eggnog must have been loaded if you already have to have strong coffee. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Jeanne Lee

No one seems to be taking advantage of our Perfect Weather Patio lately.  I wondered why and discovered those pesky elves haven't been cleaning things up.  So I've put them on notice, get our patio spick and span and sparkling AT ONCE  :whip: and keep it that way, or they'll be replaced.

Looks like they've done a pretty good job, so I'll take my coffee out there and enjoy the perfect weather.   :thumbup:  Anyone coming?

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Cloudy, warm, muggy day out.  I see I didn't post yesterday, no one more than likely noticed, I guess I didn't click on "here" and mark my spot.

Janie, so happy you came through with flying colors with your dental problem.  Now just to let things heal.  I wish mine was over.  I am such a coward wen it comes to dentist.

My youngest daughter will be here around noontime to check on me and go out to lunch with me.  Her friend is coming up with her.  I am sure she will make her usual trip to Trader Joe's. 

I have PT this morning and told Christi that I wouldn't be home till around 12:15.  Still haven't figured out where to take them for lunch.  Let them make the decision after they get here.

Jeanne, well there are still good companies left in this world.  And I am glad the two of you got together.

Got to get a move on....everyone have a great day.

Shirley

Jeanne Lee, I'd sure like to find that perfect patio since it is miserable around here (even early morning). 

Amy, tears in my eyes, have read something like it before but I'm a real sucker for "flag wavers".  Thanks.

Hope all have a good day, be better when fall is here (wishing my life away), but we don't get this day back
so find something to be happy about!
   :cheer:

larryhanna

Hi everyone. It looks like we will be having another partly or mostly cloudy day with it only getting up to the high 80's. There is only a 20% chance of rain today.  Late yesterday afternoon I realized I was feeling much better and got up feeling the same way today. Sure hope this will last for a few days.  Pat is planning on going to Joann's with Jennifer today to get her some craft supplies as she is interested in learning to knit or croquet.  Had used to have a lot of croquet things but gave them all away knowing she would not be doing any more of it.  So it will be girl's morning out and expect they will stop somewhere for lunch.  Unfortunately a pain has returned to Pat's back that she has not had since we moved here and it is making her very uncomfortable.  Nothing else on the schedule for today although I may get into the car and go to the hardware store for a couple of things and perhaps make a quick trip to Aldi's. 

I watched this short video this morning and it has a wonderful message for us:
https://biggeekdad.com/2015/07/interview-with-god/

Sandy, doesn't seem possible that Fe is now walking.  That is such a cute age as they learn to walk and discover the world around them.  Glad Kelly is back to go out with you. 

June, glad to see you were all back in place yesterday and hope for the same today.  :)  June, like you I have only crossed over the border of both Canada and Mexico for brief periods of time and never stayed overnight.  It was certainly before 9/11.

deAngel, that must have been a very frightening experience with the big gun and bayonet pointed at you.  One of my coffee friends was telling me last week about flying on Elal, the Israeli airport, and the problems he had with security.  He said he was pulled out of line and interviewed and searched by three different teams of inspectors at the airport. 

Shirley, I bet if you had a doctor's order or had a form from the trash company that you needed service to your door it would be provided.  However, I know you keep your fence locked so that probably would not work for you at this time.  I agree with you on wanting to stay on the ground and not in the air anymore.  I am sure we would all be very frightened if we knew we had Alzheimer's or any form of dementia and were losing control of our lives.  I saw this with my poor mother and Pat's mother experience the same thing but at an earlier age. 

Jane, glad your dental work went so well.  I hate that numb feeling also. 

Amy, that is a wonderful story you shared.  I actually experienced an event at the Atlanta airport several years ago where everyone stood and applauded as soldiers in uniform went by a fast food restaurant in the airport.  It was a very good feeling to be able to join in that applause.  That is a tear jerking story.  Our military families make great sacrifices for us all.  Glad your doctor's appointment yesterday went well. Farmer's are always concerned when they have hay to be harvested. 

Hal, hope you have an enjoyable lunch with your daughter today.  Pat is going to have a main meal at lunch with our granddaughter and I will have a good lunch while I am out and about and we won't have to worry about fixing dinner tonight.  I have never been into a Trader Joe's.