Random Image

100_0045.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryz

Margaret is having her lumpectomy this morning, but I haven't heard anything yet.  Will come back and post when I do.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

maryz

I just got a text from Jesse - Margaret did well, and the lymph node biopsy was negative on the initial examination.  So all is good on that front.

Nothing else going on.  I'm sure I'll go to Margaret's sometime, but don't know when.  Nobody else has mentioned Christmas travel (except Marilyn), so I guess we're all at home (which means SPI for jane).  It's only 39* here now, so pretty chilly...some warmer next week.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SCFSue

Hi Mary.  Hurray for the good report from Jesse about Margaret.  I am happy for all of you! 

I am staying home and Tim and Kris are bringing Christmas dinner to me.  I'll hang stockings for the 3 of us, plus one for Kris to take to Ard when she gets home from Ohio.  Usually I go to Tim and Kris's, but he decided it was easier for both of them to come here with the dinner instead of coming to pick me up and bringing me back later in the afternoon--so that's OK with me.  I'll enjoy the meal and be able to get my lie down reading time in after they leave.  I need to clear off my dining room table which has been serving as my "pharmacy"--Tim gets the prescriptions ready for me to take to my room when they come in.  Most of my prescriptions are filled by Express Scripts and mailed to me.

I've been working on Christmas notes in cards I'm sending--no full letter this year and not as many cards, either.  So I should be finished by Sunday or Monday.

It's chilly here, too.  I don't know how cold as my outside thermometer gave up the ghost, but it's down around 50* or less.

Have a good day, Buddies.
Sue

jane

Mary...HURRAH for Margaret!! 

Alpiner...how are you doing?  Has radiation started yet or are you still battling with them to get an appt set up?

Gray, windy day here with rains to come.  They're all around us, according to the radar.  I had a restless night...ate something that didn't like me...and let me know it!  I felt a lot better when that was over, but I had a restless night.  It's a definite inside day, though Ray had to make a trip over to the mainland for a blood test. 

I'm just sitting here watching the big waves come onto the beach...nobody out today, except for 3 people in the pool and hot tub.  Not me...it's 54 and that's too cool with the wind, even in a heated pool.

I only sent about 20 cards this year, though I did more digital ones.  I think it's kind of a waste of time and money.  With emails and Facebook, etc. I keep in contact with people who really want to stay in contact.

It's nice that here they bring your mail up to you.  We've never had that before...had to ask for it at the desk, and they sometimes put packages on top of our mail so it was awhile before they "found" it. 

Cottoncandy

Mary..great news on Margaret...it's cool here today...but got my walk in....may go to a Christmas party tomorrow night...not sure yet...staying home for Christmas...eat with kids here and others that may get to come...think it will be next week before any things done on my truck....holidays slows things down...Hi to everyone..have a good weekend..Darlene

SCFSue

We had lunch at one of our usual places and they had a new waitress who didn't bring our lunch after it was set on the counter for pick up.  Tim was very upset because he could see her in the kitchen talking to the cooks all the while our lunch was sitting on the counter--so he called another waitress over and we walked out.  I was embarrassed, but he was so upset about it, I didn't complain. 

We had an easy visit at Kroger.  I didn't need much, so we were only there a short time.  He brought my groceries in and left and I put them away and worked on some more Christmas cards I needed to mail.

Tomorrow will be a slow day.  I'll walk to the library to get more books if it doesn't rain and watch bowl games or basketball games on TV afterwards.

Good night, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Good morning, Gals.  Mary, that is great news about Margaret. Maybe she will get by with just radiation. Keep us posted.  Chilly here now but supposed to reach mid 50's this afternoon.

Sue, keep plugging away at the cards. I really think they are important for people you aren't in touch with much during the year.  I'm on FB, so stay in touch with a lot, but a lot of my friends are not computer junkies and on FB, etc, so I send a Christmas letter with some family pictures on it.  I write a brief note on a few, but very few any more.  Writing by hand is difficult for me with my tremor.  One gal, I wanted to write a long note on, so I wrote it on the computer and added some pictures that she would be interested in in addition to my regular letter.  Writing on the computer isn't as personal, but it's what I can do.  Like you, I feel it is important to touch base to show that I'm still alive and if it's delivered, that they are too.
I used to do a letter for my mother and then let her husband copy it.  I also sent her a list of labels for her friends, so that took the worst burden off her shoulders.  The last couple years she didn't want to send any so when she passed away, I sent a letter informing all her out-of-town friends and relatives of her passing. They were really appreciative of it.  At least one of my friends from HH died this past year but I had no notification.

Jane, one reason I send cards, too, is that we have moved so many times and lived in so many towns, that we just aren't in touch otherwise but I want to be.  You have lived in IA for so long, that's probably not the case for you.

I played with Alexa yesterday, trying out various things. I'm trying to connect her to Pandora now so that I can have her play music in the background when I want it.  I've got her programmed to prompt me at 1:00 to do my PT and ride my bike!  Lori told me she always says Goodnight to Alexa, so last night when I was heading to bed, I said, "Alexa, Goodnight".  She responded, "Nighty, Night. Have a good restful sleep!"  It cracked me up. It was like having Bunny answer me.

I may do a load or so of laundry today and try to straighten up my den. It is really in bad shape since I have piled everything close to me so I don't have to get up.  Otherwise, it's a free day.  Sharon

SCFSue

I've just returned from my usual Saturday morning walk to the library--it takes about 25 minutes to walk over and another 25 to walk back, so I've exercised enough for today.  I have about 20 more notes to write in Christmas Cards and then I'm calling it quits.  I'm being very brief, just enough to let people know I'm still alive and almost kickin'!

Sharon, I also try to keep up with Navy friends, former neighbors, etc.  But each year I hear from fewer of them.  I have no idea if they're still living, are ill, or just don't have time to write a short note in a Christmas Card.  I'm really late in getting this done this year, so perhaps they'll think I've kicked the bucket, too!

Darlene, it's good to see you here today, too.  I hope you do have some of your kids home for Christmas and perhaps you might be able to visit the ones who can't make it.  Tim and Kris are bringing Christmas dinner (about noon) to my house and we'll open gifts then.  I still need to get something for Tim and I'll probably have to get Kris to pick it up for me.

Jane, I hope the sun is shining and it's nice a warm at South Padre Island.  Enjoy the sunshine!

Hi to Every Buddy looking in.  I need to get those last few cards finished!
Sue

jane

Sue....my meal sitting on the pickup shelf drives me nuts too, so I agree with Tim.  Good he explained to the other waitress who surely told the new one to get her act together.

It’s a cool, wet day here.  Ray walked, but I started out and found the wind and cold too much, so came back in.  I did get four loads of laundry done.

We”re meeting friends for supper in Port Isabel after church this afternoon. 

Jane

alpiner1

Jane
Alpiner...how are you doing?  Has radiation started yet or are you still battling with them to get an appt set up?
I'm still waiting for a call but not pushing it because I have the flu . I have a appt. with the dr. who has taken over the day after Christmas .
My husband has taken over housekeeping & cooking .  For a few days I wasn't eating much , now I don't get much sleep , too much coughing .

jane

Alpiner.....yikes...sorry about the flu.  Do as you’ve been doing....resting and sleeping as you can.  I’m sure they wouldn’t start radiation until you’ve recovered from the flu.

Foggy day here on the island and cool.  We just got back from a walk and my fleece jacket felt good.

This afternoon is football, knitting, and reading.

Jane

maryz

Hi gals!  Sorry to have been AWOL.  Nothing much going on here.  I talked to Margaret Friday night, and she was doing fine.  I'll call her again in a little while.  I got some extra sleep this morning (til 7:30!), so I didn't go up to breakfast as usual on Sundays.  It's not as cold this morning, but grey and drizzling and supposed to be so all day.

It's a good day for y'all to watch football or your sport of choice.  Not for me.  I've been catching up  on recorded programs, and watching some on Netflix.  I haven't started on the new season of "The Crown", but discovered the new (and last) season of "Longmire" is available. So I've been watching that.  Knitting is happening, too.

alpiner, so sorry about the flu - definitely not fun.

jane, keep that ocean moving, so there'll be some when we get there in July.

Happy Sunday to Sharon, Sue, Darlene, Marilyn, Joy, Ginny Ann, and anybody else I might have missed.

Cottoncandy

Jane.....my IPad is not charging...can you tell me if it might need new battery...I don't even know where it is..thx Darlene

Cottoncandy

Never mind..Jane...figured it out...Darlene

SharonE

Alpiner, so sorry to hear that you have the flu!  That's awful anytime, but especially so for you now.  Good for your husband taking over.

Mary, it is about 50 and gray here today, but no rain till Mon or Tues.  Glad Margaret is doing well.

The Panthers are playing this afternoon, but I won't watch. I'll read about it tomorrow AM.  IU won yesterday over #18 Notre Dame, a significant win for them since they aren't ranked and haven't done well this year.

We're back from church & SS. Had a lovely cantata today. I've had lunch and put a load of towels in. We also stopped by Lowes and I picked up a string of lights for my wreath which seems to have died. I also got John a new hammer as a joke gift because his is missing. No idea where it went. He always kept it in his tool kit.  I also ordered a couple of things from Macy's which he may or may not like. One never knows with him.

I plan to redo the wreath this afternoon and another load of laundry and then read.  Hi to all. Sharon

SCFSue

Olyine picked me up for SS--which we are not having until Pastor Kathy's Advent series about the Nativity is finished.  We went down stairs to a packed house of people who wanted to know more of the details of the events that happened then.  She is a great teacher as well as Pastor and I learned a good bit I hadn't thought about in many years.  During church, we had no actual sermon, instead special music which illustrated many points about the Nativity.  It was a lovely service with hymns we know and love as well.  The sermon was found in the music.

It was raining when we came out of church, so I won't be walking this afternoon. It's too troublesome to carry an umbrella in one hand and a cane in the other!  I have a book started and now that I have had lunch and cleaned the kitchen, I plan to lie down on my bed and read, unless there is a really good college basketball game on.

I hope you've had a good start to your Sunday and will enjoy the afternoon.
Sue

SharonE

Everyone must be busy today.  I went to PT and the PO to mail a return and haven't done much since. The therapist says she will cut me back to once a week soon. Yea!  She's very happy with the way I'm walking and the flexibility. She's trying to build strength now which I need to get up and down out of chairs.

John got his training, etc for counting money at the church. He will only have to do it once a month. Then he went shopping.  I didn't give him many hints so have no idea what he got.

I have PT again Fri, but other than church  on Sunday. Not much planned.  I may go with John to do the grocery shopping Thurs. As long as I don't have to get up and down, I think I'll be ok.  He just doesn't get a lot of things I specify.  I say a medium can and he gets a great big can.  Dumb stuff, but irritating..

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to the holidays.  It's 61 here today and sunny. Not bad for us, but then it will cool off again.  Sharon

Marilyn

I went for my eye Dr. appt this morning here are the results.  Vision hasn't changed much at all. However, There is a piece of vitreous gel that is still attached to the macula pulling it upward, that hasn't changed from my visit 6 months ago. So far everything is looking either the same as last time of just a bit better. He had me get a hot pack to put on my eyes 1-2 times a day. The tears are forms as a mixture of oil. and water. The oil is produced by glands on the eyelid. As we age the oil begins to dry up. that is why I need to put the hot packs on. then wipe the eyelashes with a warm clean cloth or some pads he had me get. The cataract has grown some but not enough yet to have it removed. removing the cataract will not change the macular degeneration one way or another.

maryz

Sorry to have not written yesterday.  Not busy, just slothful.

I'm up about the usual time, but not usually on the computer at this time.  An old friend, Missy, spent the night with me, and is still asleep, so I'm keeping quiet in the den.  She's sleeping on the new sofa bed in the living room, which is open to the kitchen.  I'd wake her if I got the paper or made breakfast/coffee.  She lives near Knoxville now, and her mother-in-law lives here at the Terrace.  The MIL is dying, and with Hospice.  Missy's husband is out of town on business, so she is checking in for a couple of days.  I offered to have her stay here last night, and she was glad to have the chance to get away for a few hours.

Our swim group had it's Xmas after-class brunch yesterday - all sorts of good food, and a chance to see each other in "real" clothes and to chat.  It's always a fun time.  One of the gals super-decorates her lovely home and always has us come there.

I got to play duplicate last night - I didn't think we did too poorly, but we came in last again.  Oh, well - it's always good to get out.

Margaret is doing well.  She says she drove herself to church yesterday, and hasn't taken any more of the pain or anti-nausea meds.  Now she just wants to get the next steps in order (sound familiar???).

Marilyn, glad you got a good report from the eye doctor.  I think that's the one of my senses I would most hate to lose - although I'm seeing that deafness is possibly more isolating.  Interesting, I heard someone mention recently that others seem to "resent" deafness more than other losses - being impatient at having to repeat things and talk louder.  I hadn't thought about it that way before, and will try to be more thoughtful with folks with hearing loss.

Sharon, I can't wait to hear what John wound up getting you.  My John and I had decided years ago not to get presents for each other - unless we found something really special.  Like you, I'm sure, there's nothing we really need, and we go get things we really want.   ;D

Sue, sorry for your rain and missed walking.  We're supposed to have rain - more or less - every day this week, accumulating as much as 2". And maybe some rain and/or sleet on Xmas Day.

jane, I hope it's warming up for you down on SPI.

Darlene, glad you got your charging problem figured out.  When I had one, charging took a really long time.  Someone (I think here on S&F in the computer discussion) told me about really closing all the pages I had open in the background.  I didn't even know that happened.  But once I figured it out and got them closed, the iPad charged just fine.  I don't have the iPad anymore, so I can't remember how I did that to share with you.   Next time you have a problem, though, check with that discussion.  They're great and very knowledgeable.

Have great Tuesday - All the  Buddies!

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's only 7:30 here and I've had breakfast, read the paper, and have a load of laundry in the dryer.  I'm expecting the Mollie Maids in about 30 minutes and when I shut down here, I'm going to try to finish the Christmas Cards I need to get mailed.  I have a women's basketball game this evening at 6:00 and a Village Friends volunteer I don't know is picking me up for that.  I need to find a very large gift bag to use for the towels Tim wanted me to buy for Kris, I don't have one in my box of carefully stored used bags.  I usually save the ones that are in good condition--nothing like saving money (or being a cheapskate!). 

My Molly Maids are coming this morning, probably in about 30 minutes.  I have a couple of things for them in a gift bag, along with a check for each--the checks I write when they clean go to the company which pays them a salary.

Have a nice day, Buddies.  It's foggy here this morning and may rain later.
Sue

jane

Morning, Buddies!  Warm and a bit foggy here this morning but sun is breaking through now.

Marilyn...I have the oil from my eyelashes leak into my eye which causes what looks like shadows.  It scared me to death so got to an eye doc who checked everything and said it was just the oil mixing into my eyes.  He also said hot compresses and washing my eyelids with baby shampoo.  I don’t do it very faithfully, but do use preservative free restore in my eyes for my dry eyes.

Mary...we don’t exchange gifts either.  If one of us wants or needs something, we tend to just buy it.  We were in Brownsville yesterday and picked up a few of those items...so Santa came early.  ðŸ¤".   GREAT news on Margaret!

Sharon...HURRAH on the progress in PT...

Sue...enjoy the game.

I’m picking up the wives of the guys Ray’s golfing with and we’re headed out for lunch about 11:30.

Jane

SharonE

Hi Gals, Marilyn, so glad you got a good report.  I use hot compresses too.

Mary, how nice that you could offer a bed to your friend at this time.  Your swim party sounded great. Too bad about the bridge, but a lot of it depends on the competition and the hands.  I guess I am old school in wanting to still exchange some gifts, but John is terrible to buy for.  He definitely buys things for himself when he wants them even if it is right before a gifting day.  We've given up birthday gifts etc, but still hold on to Christmas.

Jane, sounds like you have a nice day planned with the golfer spouses. 

Sue, you never did send me the info on the Veterans Wreath project. If you don't send them now, I'll forget by next year. Nice that you can get a ride to the game with the organization.

We've really had a lot of flack here in Charlotte.  Jerry Richardson, the owner of the Panthers is being investigated by the NFL for misconduct.  He has now given over direction to a woman Anita ? and says that he will put the Panthers up for sale after the season!!  Lots in the news about that.  The big question is whether they will keep them in the Carolinas.  It would be a shame to lose them because they draw a lot of business & residents to the area, etc.

I didn't sleep too well last night so slept in late and am just now ready to go get dressed.  TTYL  Sharon

jane

We're just back from a walk this morning...beautiful, warm and sunny.  We're going to lunch when I finish up here and switch some laundry around, and then on to the grocery store in Port Isabel.

Sharon...the Panthers owner has sure gotten a lot of attention...it must be pretty bad that he's selling the team.  It sounded like 4 or more pro football or basketball players were interested in buying it. 

Nothing else much new here. 

We're being Slugs in the Sunshine! :coolsmiley:
jane

Marilyn

Jane my Eye Dr also told me =to wash my eyelids with baby shampoo. Those moist towelettes  I got from the optical lab,  have something in them that burns the skin around my eyes. I used one yesterday had to immediately go wash it off with warm water. When I removed the hot compresses everything is blurred I guess from the oil being released, Then I wash the eyes and lashes with the Theratears.

jane

Marilyn....For me, the baby shampoo works, but it’s not a cure.  It just relieves the oil that goes into my eyes for a very short time. 

Cottoncandy

Jane and Marlyin....don't think I've had that oil problem with my eyes...yet...Jane..know you r enjoying this warm weather...supposed to change by week end Darlene

maryz

Glad you're getting some of that warm weather, jane.  After all, that's what you went for.

Sue, sorry you missed your walk, but the rain is welcome.

Sharon, glad your PT has gone so well.  A friend here had a knee replacement just before Thanksgiving, did well, and had the other one replaced today.  She is already back home!!!!  I'm amazed - not only that they'd send her home the same day, but that she would WANT to come home the same day.  Oh, well....

Marilyn, I've used only baby shampoo for my hair for years, so it'd work for me.  Fortunately, that's not one of
my eye problems. I hope it all works out for you.

Darlene, have a good holiday with your family.

It's warmer here today - up into the 60s, and we have over 2" of rain last night.  Just grey and gloomy all day. We're due to get another line of storms overnight tonight.  It's not supposed to get cold (into the 40s) until Sunday.

Missy stayed last night, too, and headed back home midday. She will probably have to come back before too much longer.  I'm having a key made for her so she can come and go, even if I'm not here.  Margaret is coming to get me Friday, and probably bring me back on Tuesday.  We're going to go to Kate's (in KY, just south of Evansville, IN) for Xmas dinner.  Margaret doesn't seem to be concerned about doing that driving, so I guess it's okay with me.  I got my mani/pedi this morning - she put on a nice red, with the second coat of a sparkly red.  Then she put a snowflake on one thumbnail and a candy cane on the other.  Fun!

Sleep well,  Buddies!

SCFSue

It's almost bedtime here and I need to get up early to go for a haircut at 9:00.  I tried to get the last of my Christmas notes outside today before the mail man got here, but have a few more I need to write in the morning.  Hopefully that'll finish me up and I won't get dropped from a few lists of people I haven't mailed a note to yet.

Sleep well, Buddies.  Mary, your nails sound very festive.  Enjoy your visits with your family.
Sue

maryz

Enjoy your haircut, Sue.  I probably should be getting one, but probably won't until I get back from Margaret's.  Mine goes from good to  :tickedoff:  practically overnight.

I've been awake since a little after 4 a.m., so there will probably be a nap in my future today.  I certainly slept well up to that point, though.  Another cloudy drizzly day, today.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I'm up early because I had an e-mail from my bank asking me about a possible fraudulent inquiry on my account.  I found the e-mail just as I was shutting down for the night.  I called Tim this morning and it turned out he was checking on my account and also sent an e-mail to my accountant as I'm getting tax stuff already.  However, I didn't sleep well last night as I was worried about it.  I'd e-mailed the accountant earlier this week, but hadn't heard back from her yet. 

I'm going to get my hair cut at 9:00 and Bonney is picking me up later this morning to go out for lunch and ice cream in Opelika. 

Mary, I think a nap is in my plan for this afternoon, too. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue