Random Image

hotelsign.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryz

Crazy weather!  It was 60* at noon.  Now, at 4 pm, it's 38*!  Think a front came through????

Sorry you're not getting your usual/expected good weather, jane.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

You do read a lot, Sue.  I need  to go to the clubhouse or the library. I'm reading one John recommended, but am not really enjoying it much. I have 2 others that don't entice me, so guess I'll have to go out.

I just finished PT and did 15 minutes on the bike for the first time.  I'm tired though.

Mary, I forgot to comment on the paper work. That is weird that they paid you dividends for 2.5 yrs and then suddenly saw a problem.  I hope you get it cleared up quickly.

Sue, it is hard to keep up with birthdays. I hsve so many to keep track of that I'm always having to get cards.  Sean's is the 19th. He is the youngest grandson and will be 16!! Where does the time go?

Darlene, hope you get well soon.  The flu is awful! The TV news is full of reports of it.

Jane, sounds like you've been busy. Hope the pot luck is good. If the weather is bad, you sure don't want to go out.  Talking about your joints, the other night, my right knee was hurting so bad, that is put some Voltaren gel on it.  It was like magic and hasn't hurt since.  I'm really not supposed to use it when I take it orally, but my RX for oral is 4x day and I only take it 3, so I made an administrative decision!   ;) ;) Then I got the 1st injection of Synvisc yesterday, so it's not bothering me in spite of all the rain and forecast of thunder storms.  I wish I could take a bath in the Voltaren. My shoulders and back are crying.  Sorry about your friend's husband's lung problems.  Sounds serious, congestive heart failure maybe?  Take care of yourself and avoid the flu.

I think we're eating Voila skilllet dinner tonight. I'm done for the day.  Sharon

alpiner1

I saw my primary doctor this morning , he says I'm okay . I told him of my choice concerning my cancer treatment & he said I made a good choice that radiation burns the skin & could do harm to my lungs .  He has me taking a probiotic & Milk Thistle for my stomach because of all the meds &'m taking & for my liver .  I told him I'm waiting on the PET scan because of my cough , he agreed . I see him again in February . He has seen me through so many lung issues .

SCFSue

Good morning.  I've just returned from my Saturday walk to the library.  It was only 34* here, but I do have lots of warm clothing left over from 2 tours in Maine, so I was warm enough.  I walked faster than usual, too, so that helped.  I have enough to read now that should keep me occupied this weekend and probably through Wednesday.

Alpiner, That's good news from your primary doctor.  I am surprised though about his comment on radiation burns--but I'm sure he is basing that on his knowledge of you and your body.  Let us know how the probiotic and Milk Thistle help.  When I had radiation, my oncologist prescribed only what he felt I could tolerate.

Mary, it's only 38* here now and it's already 11:15--and we don't expect it to go much higher.  Thank goodness I still have cold weather gear to wear outside.  What a pain to have to go over that paperwork with a place that should have had it straightened out more than a year ago.  Good luck with making it work for you!

Sharon, I also wonder where time has gone.  Nick is now a freshman at LSU and is 19 (I think).  His birthday is in October, so he was almost 7 when he was in first grade.  Alex is a junior this year at Birmingham Southern U. in Birmingham.  He'll be 21 in April.  The older I get, the faster time passes!

Jane, enjoy the potluck--and I hope you're getting some warmer weather now.  I know you're glad you're not shoveling snow in Iowa!

Darlene, I hope you're feeling better today.  The only thing I guess you can do is to stay inside and stay warm.  Are you taking any meds to relieve the symptoms?

Enjoy your Saturday, Every Buddy.
Sue

joyous

Weather down  here in the "Sunny South" is incredible-------prediction is a low of 28 tonight w/ hard freeze Again, as it has been for 2 or 3 days and nights >:( We
certainly are NOT accustomed to those temps.---- HARD FREEZE ADVISORY.
Joy

Marilyn

All this talk about the weather I'm almost sure you don't want to hear this it is Sunny and 53°, the rain starts again on Monday.

All is well here on the Southern Oregon Coast. I took my friend's Staffordshire Bull Terrier to a visit yesterday to have him evaluated with me on the end of the leash, I had to quit not even halfway through the evaluation because he was pulling so hard my back started to hurt. So taking that dog on any visits is a dead issue. Glad to just be taking my Freckles on the visits.

Sue, I have been meaning to answer you about Keith, His diagnosis is Alzheimer's Dementia without the behavioral changes. He has a great long-term memory and can still do the complicated mathematical calculations in his head that he did as an architect. However, his short-term memory leaves much to be desired.

Did I tell you all that DMV  said I need permission from my eye dr. to drive? That seems ridiculous to me. But I couldn't read the ey chart at DMV.

maryz

Marilyn, glad you're having such nice weather.  I'm sure you're a good judge of whether or not a dog is suitable for visiting.

Joy and Sue, it's been colder here, too.  It's been a lovely sunny day - from inside.  The wind is gusty, and our temperature did not get above freezing today. Margaret and I are going on a trip on the Tennessee Aquarium boat to see the sandhill cranes.  We'll be inside, so the cold shouldn't matter, and I think it's going to be sunny.  There's a huge flock of sandhill cranes that stop-over near here on their migration route.  It's always a big draw around here at this time of year.  We'll see how it goes.

Stay warm, Buddies.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

SCFSue   The radiologist also agreed on no radiation because of the size of the tumor & my age . He asked me how old my Mom was when she passed & told me of what value radiation would be to me .  It would offer very little to my life & he said it would not cause my death .  I told him I thought I would die of respiratory problems . I have asthma & COPD & one lung is pinched by my ribs from a childhood fall . Yes , my doctor knows my body very well & has kept me going through many respiratory episodes .

SCFSue

I've been to SS and Church, changed into jeans and a sweater and am now waiting for my friend up the street to get back from delivering her grandson to the other grandmother.  Cheryl will go to the AU women's game with me which starts at 4:00.  I hope she gets here no later than 3:30 as I like to watch the warm-ups.

It's still in the low 40s here and I had to walk up to Cheryl's house and tape a note to her door explaining that I'm ready to go to the game when she gets back.  Meanwhile, I'm watching South Carolina Women @ Carolina playing Tennessee which is ahead by 8 points.  The best Carolina player has a cast on her leg and one more just was sent to the locker room with another foot injury.  It doesn't bode well for Carolina.  There are only 7 minutes left in the game. 

Have a good rest of your day, Buddies.
Sue

maryz

The trip on the Aquarium boat was great.  It was in the teens this morning when Margaret and Jesse picked me up, but we were either in the car or the boat, so it wasn't an issue.  It was a lovely sunny morning.  We found the dock and the boat easily.  Getting anywhere over rough ground is always a challenge for me, but it wasn't a long way.  Plus I had a cane and Margaret to hold onto.  Jesse let us out fairly close, and then went to park the car.  I stayed inside the whole trip, but M & J were able to get out on the observation deck for part of the time.  The sandhill cranes are magnificent animals, and there are hundreds of them stopping over in the Hiwassee Refuge area.  We also saw a few tundra swans, ospreys, hawks, bald eagles, plus our local great blue herons, gulls, and white pelicans.  Kate was supposed to go with us, but her long, uphill driveway (in NW Kentucky) was iced over and she couldn't get out.  That's why Jesse got to go with us.

Sue, Good luck to your Lady Tigers this afternoon.  Of course, my heart is always with our Tennessee gals.

alpiner, glad you and your doc have such a good rapport.  That's one of the most important factors in good medical results, IMO.

Looks like everybody (except Marilyn and alpiner, of course), will be getting some really rough weather over the upcoming week.  Stay warm and safe,  Buddies!

jane

Marilyn...good grief, what happened to your eyes that you couldn’t read the DMV eye chart?  Maybe new glasses will fix the problem?

Alpiner....good info from your docs.  Your lungs sound fragile.

Sharon...hope your cold / flu is better.

Darlene....how are you doing with the flu?

Mary....sounds like a good trip

Sue....hope you got to the game in time for the warmups.

Joy....very chilly down your way.

We are warmer and winds died down so we were able to walk a mile or so this morning.  I can’t believe the people who are constantly in the hot tub or sunbathing by the pool or on the sundeck here on the 7h floor.  I’ve never been able to do that...just burned and peeled.

Jane

SharonE

Mary, that sounds like a wonderful day, something I would really have enjoyed.  I love birding, If only I can get my back better, maybe I can go on some of our trails to do some.  I keep hoping.

Sue, hope your girls won.

Jane, I might go in the pool or the hot tub, but not for long. I have always been very careful with sun exposure.  I suspect they will regret it one day.  I'm glad the weather is nice though.  It is still very cold (for us) here and even a chance of snow on Wed. OF course, it is only 1" predicted and being Carolina snow will be gone quickly. The only problem is the driving. I'll stay home. I just don't want to be on the snow with southern drivers who don't know how to drive in it.

I didn't go to church or SS although John did.  I did do 2 loads of laundry and my PT, but dinner was left over meatloaf from last night + a baked potato.

I heard from Melanie. They got down to AL from near Indpls with their almost semi full of furniture, etc for their "new" home in Citrus Hills, FL.  I was so worried about them driving through the mtns, etc. Sangmin drove the moving truck and Melanie followed in their pickup. Now, if they can get the rest of the way south, I'll be relieved.  They had a lot of excess furniture from redecorating and beds from the kids' rooms, etc, so they didn't need to buy anything.  She said getting all that stuff out of the house decluttered it and ought to make it easier to sell.  I do hope that it sells this time when they put it up. It is so big & beautiful and on the lake that it should sell if they ccan get people down from Indy to see it.

It is 3:30 AM. My legs kept waking me up for some reason,, so I got up and took a half of a Tramadol and fixed some hot chocolate.  Bout time for me to go back and try again to get to sleep.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's pretty chilly here again this morning.  I've had breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, and have a load of laundry in the washer.  I'm not going to walk until after Tim's visit.  He usually shows up about 10:00 on Monday mornings, and it's almost 9:30 here now.  I must have left my cane at church or perhaps in Olyne's car yesterday and I did walk outside without it (went up to Cheryll's to leave a note about the time for the basketball game).  She was taking her grandson to his other Gran's home as that lady was keeping him until his Dad returned from a hunting outing.

Our team lost yesterday.  The first half was entirely dominated by the other team (Arkansas) who played extremely well, although we "almost" caught up in the second half.  I'm sure Coach Flo who never raises her voice during a game, but has a way of expressing herself facially had a good bit to say during the half.  Arkansas played well and didn't do what Miss. State did last week--which was keep a VERY LARGE girl under our basket--spending lots of time in that paint thingie--and standing right in the way instead of running up and down like everyone else!  So Arkansas won fair and square--disappointing, but not aggravating!

Other than Tim's visit and doing laundry, I don't have much else planned today.  When my chores are finished, I'll probably read this afternoon.  I think my cleaning ladies are coming tomorrow, but won't know until I get a phone call this afternoon.  They will probably have to do their Monday appointments first because of today's MLK holiday.

Have a nice day, Buddies.
Sue

Cottoncandy

Went to my regular Dr today..tested me for the flu..it was negative..so guess the first Dr was just thinking that's what it was..my Dr today said it was a bad sinus infection..gave me a stronger AB...musinex and singular...so hoping I get to feeling better and have no reactions from AB...I'm allergic to Penicillin...so have to prescribe something else..we are bracing for the wintry mix coming in tonight.everyone stay safe and warm Darlene

Marilyn

Jane nothing happened to my eyes in the last 3 weeks that  I couldn't pass the eye test at DMV. Lots of people are being sent to their eye Dr. to verify that they can drive. My eyes had improved since my exam in June to when I was there the 30th of Dec. So It must be the machine at DMV.

jane

Marilyn....geez, that’s the pits...and expensive if everyone has to end up going to an eye doc for a legitimate exam!

Our IA friends here are having to go home again.  He’s bad again....went into diabetic shock and she called 911to take him to hospital.  They kept him a day and a half.  She’s got him back to the ER today in Harlingen.  She’s going to have the car transported back to Iowa, and they’ll fly home.  We’ll take them to Harlingen to leave the car and on to the airport to get them on the plane..her daughter is trying for a flght on Thursday.  She said no more trips for them.  She’s at her wit’s end.

We’re to get the nasty weather Darlene mentioned, too, for the next several days. 

If you haven’t seen the news here, Jeanne Lee passed away on Thursday morning.  Larry Hanna is going to take her place as Admin as Pat is still ill.

Jane

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  My cleaning ladies were late this morning at they had to clean a couple of places they missed yesterday when everyone was off work because of M.L. King's birthday.  My trash pickup just got here and it's 10:30, usually here about 7:30.  So when I go out to walk shortly I'll bring the large can up the driveway. 

Jane, I'm sorry to hear about your friends problems with the hubby's health.  I hope their trip home was a safe one and he's now under the care of his doctor at home.  What a nightmare it must be to have a serious problem when away from home!

Marilyn, will you have to have another test at the DMV or will they accept your eye doctor's exam results?  I hope they do as you will be in a fix if your driver's license is restricted. 

Darlene, I'm glad you don't have the flu, but it sounds like you need to stay inside and recover.  I imagine that you'd love to get outside if it's sunny, but take it easy and hopefully and feel better soon.

Not much else going on for me today.  I still have library books I haven't read, so have plenty to keep me entertained.  I hope everyone is feeling well and that you have a nice day.  It's chilly here, about 45 and the weather channel predicts some snow here tomorrow, so we'll see.  I have a garden club meeting tomorrow afternoon at 1:30--a presentation about gardens in England, so hope to enjoy that.

Sue

SharonE

How sad, Jane.  So many of the older SeniorNetters are paassing or have passed. :tickedoff: Good for Larry for taking over for now.  Sorry you're getting bad weather. We are too. High of 30 today and to start snowing about 3AM to 10 AM, but I know it will dissipate fast.  Warm by the weekend. I'm sorry to hear about your friends. I hope they get home safely and to his own doctor.

Marilyn, that's too bad about having to get a new eye check.  John has to have a form filled out by his ophthalmologist everytime he gets his renewed, but then he haS  only 8% sight in one eye.

Darlene, even though you feel terrible, I'm glad it isn't flu.  I hope you get better quickly.

My cold is much better, barely there. I continue with the Vit C and Flonase at night. Works for me.

Melanie & hubby got to their new home in Fl yesterday. So relieved with all the weather they had to drive through. Lori is back from NYC where she was visiting her younger son & wife, so I'm happy everyone is back where they are supposed to be!  :)

As for me, I'm staying in and staying warm. No plans for today.  Hope everyone else is ok and has a good day.  Sharon

maryz

I hope all the sickness passes quickly, with no lingering aftereffects.  Not fun!

The snow has started here, but not too much as yet, and the temperature is 34*, so not sticking so far.  They are predicting that the roads will be terrible tonight, with the moisture from thawing snow quickly refreezing.  I'm assuming I won't be going to swimming in the morning.

Stay warm, Buddies!

JeanneP

Well you all seem to be more active than I am. This cold weather and all the snow is driving me to want to do anything outside or even housecleaning inside.

Just watching movies, reading and a little to much eating. When working I use to think that would be a perfect thing to do after retiring but so boring.
Got caught in a snow blizzard at the grocery store yesterday out on the State highway. Could hardly see  my car when I came out of the store. Had left lights on and car battery dead. Asked a man in a truck next to me if he would jump it and I would pay him. He did and only took a second. Didn't want money but i insisted that he took it.

I am out of most ready made in my freezer and so to day going to do the same thing. Make some small meatloaves . I also got about 4 lbs of chicken legs and thighs yesterday. Going to fry some. then also do some in the crock pot with cream chicken and mushrooms.  With this weather I seem to be eating to much. Think I may have put a few pounds on as not out walking. But it will come off when the weather gets better.
Did read about Jeanne lee. Such a loss. She helped so many of us over the years. Way back to SeniorNet. But she had been fighting her illness to long. At rest now.

Jane. Glad you are at least getting weather warm enough to be able to walk the beach.
I only ever had a bladder problem twice and both times was for when I went into a Hot tub that was at a hotel we were staying. I just do not trust them at all.

Well off to the library.  For You readers I just finished a book that I could not put down. Called "The Stolen marriage" by Diane Chamberlain. I thought it good. Never heard of her before but she does have other books out. So will see if I can find any. Will keep on reading until this weather warms up some. Try to stop binge eating though
JeanneP

jane

Nasty weather just about everywhere except maybe AZ and southern CA.  In the 40s, very windy and rain on and off here. I went out at 11:30 to meet with a bunch from our old condo place, but Russo's was short staffed, didn't have our table set aside, so I ate with the gals I go out with when the fellas golf.  At least the special on calzones was good. 

We're in for the duration...until Friday when we take our friends to the airport to fly home.  It was going to be Thursday, but she needed another day to get things organized.

I love myIPAD for times like this...can reread books I have forgotten or download books from the comfort of my couch and read and read.  I'm also working on purple baby hats for next year's Nov. Shaken Baby Awareness Month at our hospital at home.

Ray's gone off to the exercise room, but I'm staying put here...watching the waves hit the beach and the palm trees bend in the wind.

jane

SharonE

Jane, sounds like you've got it made! Too bad the weather is bad, but the inside ambiance sounds great..

Mary, don't you dare go to the Y if it is slick & snowy out!

Jeanne, I had our last big meat loaf Sunday & Monday night and only have a little one left.  I have some chicken saute'ed that I could put in a casserole or something, but tonight is going to be salmon salad. I buy a piece of smoked salmon at the grocery, make up a good mixed salad, break or tear up the piece of salmon and sprinkle goat cheese over it and add whatever dressing you like. It really makes a good healthy salad and is quick and easy.  If you don't like goat cheese (chevre), you could add some other kind.  Melanie sent us a box of various cheeses that she knew we liked including an herbed goat cheese thaat was delicious. On a whim, I added it to the salad and it was great. Since then, we just bought some at the grocery. Not herbed, unfortunately, but still good.

I called my sil (brother's widow) this afternoon. I hadn't talked to her for a while. She is 86 or 87, and needs oxygen when she's out in CO, so I worry about her. I haven't seen her for about 3 yrs, so I'm thinking about flying down in March when the azaleas are out. She and most of the nieces and nephews live in Tallahassee.  So pretty there in the spring and I love seeing them all.  I shoul.d be better about calling her than I am.  Time goes so fast and it is so easy to procrastinate.

Our "pod" (immediate neighborhood) has started a monthly brunch for the ladies. It sounds like such fun, so I signed up for this Friday.  The only thing I don't like is that it is at 9:15!  That's early for me to get out.

Nothing else going on here.  Take care and stay off the snowy roads!!!  Jeanne, that includes you!
Sharon

maryz

Bright sunshine this morning, but it was +6* on my deck at 8 am. It's "warmed up" to 20* now.

jane

Nasty day at the beach...30 degrees and winds out of the north....rain to come back by evening and all day tomorrow and Friday.   Then to be in the 70s!  We were both tired last night for some reason and slept late and decided to not rush to make the Wed. Morning “coffee and pastries” gathering.  Looks like a reading and knitting day here.

Jane

SharonE

Brrrr, Mary. That's pretty cold for you.  How much snow did you get?

Our snow was to start at 3 AM, but didn't until almost 9 AM. Came down in great big flakes for quite a while, but is coming down now with more normal size.  Very wet. About an inch or two so far.  John stayed home from bridge today for which I was thankful.

Jane, you have really been having unusually bad weather this year, haven't you?  Yuck.  I'd stay in too.

And I am!  Sharon

maryz

We didn't get that much snow, but what we did have didn't melt - so they say the streets are treacherous.  It is supposed to warm up some tomorrow, so should be gone by tomorrow afternoon.

SCFSue

Good Day at NOON!  I got up at my usual 7:15 and dressed, ate breakfast, read the paper and then went outside and cleaned 4 inches of snow off my car!  I was supposed to go to a Garden Club meeting at 1:30, but it has been canceled.  So far no city trucks here scraping up snow from our street.  My driveway and lawn is covered in the fluffy white stuff.  Tim called and told me to stay inside--and I will mostly, but will go out in 10-15 minutes spurts to get rid of some of the snow at least down to the curb so I can get my mail when it's delivered today.  The weather channel says it 24* right now.  BRRRR!

I'm off to fix lunch and plan an afternoon of reading or perhaps a movie if Hallmark has one I haven't seen.  I hope every Buddy is staying warm and inside away from treacherous driving conditions!

Sue

jane

Sharon...we are having a lot of cold...as is just about everywhere, I guess.  What sweeps across the country gets us, too, whether we want it or not.

It was good, though, in that Ray and I could go over some internet business...how to check and pay credit card, stock & bank balances, etc.  He tends to leave all that to me,  but he thinks he needs to look at these things more so he knows how to so it.  He does inded. 

We went over to the meeting area...and filled up our water jugs.  It’s so wonderful to have filtered water available right here and not have to go out to the water machines, esp in this nasty weather. 

SharonE

Sue, you be careful in that snow.  You already have a bad leg. There's nothing in the mail but ads & bills. They can wait till tomorrow.  Our walks have melted off, so John got ours, but it all went in the round file! We have maybe 3" of snow but it is very wet. Our problem is that it will melt as it gets warmer this afternoon and then freeze into black ice overnight when it's to drop to 14!  I have a doctor's appt tomorrow afternoon. I hope it's clear by then.

Jane, that is such a good idea for Ray to become informed about your finances.  About a year ago, John decided the same thing. With some help and direction from me, he is now in charge of our finances, but I know everything that is going on.  At our ages, both parties need to be in the know.

Mary, you are really a lot colder than we are. Hope it warms up for you soon.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!  Sharon

Cottoncandy

Hi everyone..I'm finally feeling better..still cold...so don plan to walk until the sun warms things up some...mabey by Friday or Saturday..so thankful for family near me..son pops in often and my brother and SIL have shared some food with me and call me very day..hope all the s well n your part of the world...Darlene