Random Image

DSCF0061.JPG

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpiner1

In regards to the hearing yesterday I got so upset listening to the garbage I left the room & Norm watched it by himself .  I can't listen to arguing , when I was little I heard my Dad & sister argue & it threw me into a tizzy !  I saw the blood veins on my Dad's neck bulge & it scared me .  He died when I was 12 .
All is well here for a change .  Last Saturday we went on a Model T Ford tour & went to an old gold mine . There were mine tours but I chose not to go on it because of my breathing issues .  There was a group of us who chatted & waited for the others to come back from the tour .

SCFSue

Good morning, Alpiner and Every Buddy looking in this morning.  I've had breakfast and have chosen the football games I'll watch this afternoon.  I am going outside shortly to rake up some leaves to take down to the curb for Monday morning's pick up.  Other than that I'll read one of new library books we picked up yesterday.  I've already finished one last night.

Our Auburn Tigers are playing at home this afternoon and I'm hoping for a win.  I'll also watch some of the WVU game this morning and a few minutes of the Tennessee/Georgia game, but AU starts at 2:30 and I'll turn to that game and will probably go back to T/G at half-time. 

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Auburn and will probably be pretty hot during the game.  I'm glad I can watch it on TV and not be in the huge crowd stuffed into way a too small seat at the stadium!

Alpiner, I also watched some of the hearing and found it very upsetting.  I don't see how anything good will come out of this "she said/he said" testimony.  Too much acrimony on both sides!

Sharon, I hate to see anyone's "dirty laundry" being made so public--and it is a "she said/he said" matter.  I think, though, that Trump will have to withdraw the nomination.  The president doesn't like to lose, though, so we'll just have to wait for what happens next.

Have a nice day Every Buddy and may your team win today unless it's Southern Mississippi!
Sue

Cottoncandy

Well Gee....noticed in one of my bathrooms...with all the rain..have mold on panel behind sink.....of course I will have to replace the panel....but wonder if vinegar or bleach might help the problem till I can get a carpenter to come and look....always something...raining again today...Happy Saturday...Darlene

SharonE

Alpiner and Sue, the hearings upset me too. I watched very little of them.  Alpiner, glad things are going well with you now.

Sue, enjoy your football games. Hope all your favs win.  I was going to finish reading a book last evening and then Lori called. She was packing to fly to Fort Lauderdale where she was invited to speak at a National Executive Women in Technology meeting. Quite a compliment and will look good on her resume. Anyway, we talked for probably an hour and half and got caught up.

I've showered and washed my hair and am waiting for it to airdry so I can style it.  We are going to dinner at the home of one of John's bridge friends tonight.  I've got to call and make an appt to get my hair cut early next week. It is really getting long (for me).

We haven't heard from Mary for a while. I hope all is well with her. I know she is having a family week, but she usually checks in.

Darlene, I just realized I hadn't responded to your question--yes, bleach is the answer till you get it replaced.  Do you have a good ventilating fan in your bath? That's a big help in preventing it.

Marilyn, I hope Keith is better and that the boys are there or en route.  Have a nice weekend.  Sharon

JeanneP

It is like winter has arrived here today. I am now wearing warm flannel PJ. bundled up reading. My service man comes Wed. to see that furnace ready for winter but think will be using it tonight. Got a heater on at the moment. Will be down to 41 deg soon.
What a book I have just finished. Couldn't put it down. Never heard of the author before.B.A Paris.British writer but lives in France. Book Called"Bring me back" She has written 3 book and all 3 in Large Print. This one was written in 2018  Have ordered the other 2. Can't wait for them. Glad to see new writers still.

Been a busy week. Looking for to trade car or find one and sell my Honda Accord. Its ready to go.  Like loosing a good friend.
Next week going to try and get lots done before winter does get here.
Carpet cleaners Thur. Furnace Wed. Porch jet washed. It is going to be in the 80s for 2 days they say . Also need to go get flu shot.

Hope things have settled down for the people in the South. I hate thinking about the ones flooded out. Hope they get lots of help.

Sharon.  You must have a strong stomach. I read about how many prescriptions you take. I seem to be not able to take anything. I do have a low BP one and that I don't like. Have always been to same. Even a aspirin. Think part is my imagination. I sort of try my grandmothers old recipes. I do now know what I can eat and not eat. Not into eating out much now like I use to. Cut down on so much milk. less tea. No Wheat. Fry very little. Finding something all the time that doesn't agree.
JeanneP

Marilyn

. Keith was released from the hospital at 11, back in ER by 12:30 he had pulled out his catheter. He is still there and two of his sons are with him. Keith will be  recommend to hospice on Monday. I just have to find peole to sit with him while I go teach my Tai chi class on Tuesdays and Fridays( I get paid to teach the class) and if I need to go to the grocery store. He is now eligible for medicaid unless  I spend all his money and  perhap selling the house maybe included before he can get medicaid. I still have to find out  from the  social worker if I put the house in my name if I can sell it and move to a smaller place without the state taking the $$$.

This is really getting too much for me to deal with and my Dr agrees. Grief from one of my sons passing  this month and now Keith. Sometimes I feel like  just sitting down for a good cry. I am waiting for his son to call me to go pick Keith up from ER since he wont be able to get into  their car. 

SharonE

Oh Marilyn, I do feel for you and wish I could give you a big hug!  Contact the Eldercare office to find out about the financial things. Maybe one of the boys could go with you. I think you have to transfer the deed to the house to you to get Medicaid, but I'm not sure.

Jeanne, can't believe it's so cold there. Sounds like you have a lot to do to prepare for winter. Yes, I'm lucky that I have a strong stomach and with all my ailments, it's a good thing.

We just got back from church and are leaving to see the movie, Unbroken, a path to redemption.
Later,
Sharon

maryz

Marilyn, my heart aches for you.  I'm so sorry for all you're having to deal with.  It's good that Keith's sons are willing and able to help.  I hope you can find all the help - financial, mental, supportive, whatever - you need.

I got home last yesterday.  Things just weren't conducive for me to write much.  We did have a great week.  The VRBO was a lovely house on the Pasquotank River across from Elizabeth City, NC.  It was not hit by Hurricane Florence, so that wasn't an issue.  This as a much smaller group - the most we had at any one time was 8.  It was me, the four girls, the two sons-in-law, one granddaughter by herself, and one granddaughter with fiance.  We didn't cook anything - got bagels, etc., for breakfast, lunch makings for lunch, and ate out or got carry-out for evening meal.
Mostly we talked, read, knitted, some fished (no catches to keep), and some touristed over to the Outer Banks.

The drive over was two days, with the stop in Asheville to see the wonderful Chihuly sculptures at night at the Biltmore Estate.  Coming back was a 12-hour marathon yesterday.  Margaret did all the driving for the two of us (I'm just not doing highway driving anymore), so we stopped about every two hours for a potty stop and to walk around a bit and for lunch.

You may have read about a horrendous rain that Chattanooga had while I was gone (Wednesday or Thursday, I think).  Certainly nothing like Hurricane Florence, but something like 4-6" in a few hours, with lots of flash flooding, damage, injuries, and one death.  My rain gauge had overflowed and it holds 6".

Jeanne, you've definitely gotten a hint of your colder weather to come.  Nothing like that here yet. Like, Sharon, I take what I guess would be considered a lot of medications (about 7 prescriptions for pills, 2 for inhalers, and a number of supplements).  But I've never had any problems with them.  I know other folks do, though.

jane, I hope your joints are better and that the tapering of prednisone works.

Darlene, I hope the Texas heat has mitigated somewhat. It can be brutal.

Sue, I hope your teams did well yesterday.  Margaret got to listen to the second half of the TN/GA game as we drove through the Knoxville area yesterday.

My regular bridge partner is out of town this week.  I don't know if I'll try to find someone else to play with or not.  I'm not particularly motivated right now.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, glad you are safely home. I did think about you when I heard about the Chattanooga floods, but remembered you said you were on high ground.  I'm sure you enjoyed being with your family, but you do sound a little tired now and ready to rest.

We just got back from the movie. It was very true to the book, beginning with Zampergini's return from Japan. He really had a hard time of it until he went to the Billy Graham revival and gave himself to Christ.  Amazing transformation.

All for now.. Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  We had more rain yesterday and that means more weeds.  I haven't decided which flower bed to week first!  This is the wettest summer here since I moved to Auburn in 2004.  If my back yard dries off before noon, I'll probably try to mow it before it gets knee high.

Jeanne, thanks for the tip about the author, B.A. Paris.  I'll check my library to see if they have any of her books.  It's hard to understand that you are having such low temperatures as we are still in the mid-high 90's every afternoon.  I try to get any outside weeding done before noon every day.

Marilyn, you have a "tough row to hoe" as most Alabamians might say.  I pray that you can find the help Keith needs.  I am glad that Dr. Keith and his brothers seem to be supportive of you.  Take care of yourself.  Being under that kind of stress can lead to health problems for you.  Thoughts and prayers for you here.

Sharon, how was the film "Unbroken"?  I vaguely remember reading a book with that title or a similar one.  It was about a man during WWII I think.  I haven't been to a movie theater since I fell 2 years ago--mostly watch old films on TCM.  Are you getting rain from the hurricane?

Mary, you trip sounds like fun--but maybe pretty tiring?  I hope you're feeling rested now.  Stacie and Jon are planning a beach trip during the Thanksgiving weekend for them, Alex, Nic, and me.  Jon will drive up here and take me down to the beach.  I'll probably call the Winn Dixie in Gulf Shores and order a cooked turkey and Stacie and Jon will cook whatever else we'll eat.  Tim and Kris have other plans for Thanksgiving.

The AU game was delayed for more than 2 hours because of rain and wasn't broadcast on my usual station.  I watched the South Carolina/Kentucky game which was at Kentucky.  Carolina didn't play well and was routed by Kentucky big time.  The next day our local newspaper had the stats for the Auburn game which our team won.  They also reported that our team and the opponents sat in the locker rooms in wet uniforms for the 2 hours!  AU won, but it evidently wasn't a pretty game. 

A big Hello to Every Buddy looking in this morning.
Sue

SharonE

Sue, the movie was good except for the alcoholic period he went through, but he completely turned his life around after he attended Billy Graham's crusade.  Will Graham, Billy's grandson portrayed him which was interesting. He has said that he has no intentions of every acting again. He only did it because of his grandpa.  He is an evangelist like his father and grandfather.  It's horrifying to see what those men went through in Japan and how it affected them for years afterward.  Yes, this was the 2nd part of the book UNBROKEN that came out about 3 or 4 years ago. Both John and I had read it.

Your TG trip sounds nice.  We will be going to Melanie's in IN along with almost all of the other family.

We haven't had our usual drought here but we haven't had an overabundance of rain either. We're in a strange pocket that the rain seems to go around. Good during hurricanes, but not so good for regular rain.  Our temps are in the low 80's now, but I think they are supposed to climb back up to 90 this week.  I was reading last night and didn't watch the news.  Have you read Linda Lael Miller's books?  I'm really enjoying THE LAST CHANCE CAFE by her.

I couldn't get to sleep again last night until about 3 AM!!  :tickedoff:  Then my cleaning girl mixed up her days and showed up at 9 AM when I was still sleeping!  She was supposed to come tomorrow and be at one of my neighbor's today. This is the first time she has done that, but it sure wasn't appreciated today. I told her to go ahead and stay anyway since she was here and I was awake. 

Have a good day everyone.  Sharon

Marilyn

Good Morning Every Buddy.  Mary welcome home from your trip. With Keith going down hilll I am wondering if I am going to be able to go to California for my yearly Christmas trip to see Gilbert, Forest and Savannah.

The boys left me a to do list  to take care of,lots of things to get done but one of them is going to come help with some if of it, Packing up to trains and various other things to be sold etc.

SharonE

Marilyn, I'm so glad the boys are involved and helping you out. Sending cyber hugs and prayers.

jane

Marilyn...Keep strong. K has really declined quickly.  Get good legal advice before you sign over anything, please.

I’ve read a lot of Linda Lael Miller’s books. 

Our river trip was very wet on Sunday and today as we left Dubuque.  They’re flooding at hone.  Police sent out a text that flooding was happening in our area, and another local gal texted me they’ve had horrible t’storms and rain....downtown is sandbagging, and some gravel roads are being washed out.  Dbq had 4 inches of rain and 1-2 more expected this afternoon.  It was clear and sunny once we got south of Dbq.

We decided to stay overnight here in Davenport area and stop in CR on our way home tomorrow. 

The cruise was food overload...I shouldn’t eat for another week!

Jane

Marilyn

I don't plan on signing over anything.  I am just getting started to taking care of some of the business. I do have to get my name put on the deed to the house.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's going to be pretty hot again this afternoon, so I'm going outside shortly to clean up the leaves in the back yard.  I got most of the front yard cleaned up yesterday.  I try to finish any yardwork by at least 10:30, but may not get it all finished this morning.  I will probably have to make multiple trips down to the curb to take leaves down there.

Tim just arrived.  He's doing some work under my house--which I don't understand, but am thankful he knows what he's doing.  I think it has to do with erosion from all the rain we've had this summer.

I'll be back later to yack.  Have a nice morning, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Jane, wondered where you were. Hope you enjoyed the cruise. I'm sorry your town is flooded. I hope it goes down quickly.

Marilyn, sounds like you know what needs to be done.

Sue, you are so lucky to have a son who is such a jack of all trades and takes such good care of you. I'm so glad we don't have to do our own leaves anymore. The HOA landscapers blow them into piles and then load them into trucks with a vacuum hose. Pretty neat, but I wish they would start earlier. Thanks to Florence, we already have a lot of leaves down and then Bunny tracks them in.

Since my cleaning girl came yesterday, I don't have anything scheduled for today. I also finished sending in the church articles to the newspapers. I'm waiting till tomorow to do laundry, so I will have done what John needs for next week.

My hair is a mess. I need a haircut desperately but can't get in til Thursday.

Hi to everyone. Sharon

jane

We're home and glad to be here.  For a relaxing cruise and only eating and talking, we're both exhausted!

I'm trying to catch up on stuff...but laundry will have to wait until Thursday.  I'm not starting that now.

jane

maryz

Sorry, jane, I must have missed something.  Where did you take a cruise?  We always need time to rest up when we get home.

Sue, your Thanksgiving trip to Gulf Shores sounds great. We always talked about going down in the wintertime, but it's a long (8-hours) from here, so we never did.  I know it's a comfort for you to have Tim taking care of house (etc.) thing for you.

Sharon, enjoy your "day off".  Where is John's cruise going?  I know bridge is the focus, but is there a destination?

Jeanne, I'm glad I don't have to think about getting another car.  Mine is a 2006 Altima, and I've had no problems with it.  I've really limited my driving in any case.  And I've just about decided to stop driving after dark entirely.  I'm not able to see the lines in a less-well-lit area, and the oncoming lights really bother me.

{{{{{{Marilyn}}}}}}}}

Happy Tuesday to all the Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Mary...it was a very short one...Davenport to Dbq on Sunday and back on Monday.  It was miserable weather on Sunday.  Monday was fine.  We talked and ate, and ate, and ate! LOL.

Jane

maryz

Sounds like mostly great fun, jane!

jane

And the rains continue.  The streets by the river are open again...temporarily, I suspect as we’re to have lots more rain.  The river is full and moving fast.

Bridge today and that’s it.  😇

Jane

alpiner1

What a night .  I have a cough , Used the nebulizer before bed time but still coughed .  I tried a cough drop , didn't do much good . Took cough syrup , then had pain in my left hip . Finally got up at 5:00 a.m.  Maybe I can get a little nap this afternoon , I hope .

jane

Alpiner...I hope you can get some rest today.  We all seem to have those unrestful nights, whether it’s our lungs or joint/ muscle pain...or some other thing.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've had breakfast and am dressed for working in my yard, but am waiting for a Seniors & Friends volunteer to take me to the Recycle Center.  I have 3 large bags full of magazines and a trug of beer bottles which have all been sitting in my utility room for the past 2 years.  I'll be glad to get them out of here. 

Sharon, I need a haircut, too, but will let it go until early next week.  It's longer and messier than I like, but I can ignore it as I have the trip to the recycle center this morning and bridge again tomorrow at 12:30 and Friday a.m. Tim will be here early to take to the library and Kroger and home to put the groceries away and then out to lunch, hopefully with Kris. 

Welcome home, Jane!  I'm sorry the weather was bad the first day, but the second day sounds like fun and what fun to have yummy food to eat!  Is this a company that has frequent short cruises?  Enjoy your lunch out with your bridge friends and I hope you get great cards!

Mary, I'm happy to be going to the beach and hope we have nice weather.  I enjoy walking along the beach and just sitting on the porch of the condo and watching the swimmers, walkers, and the various boats and planes that fly along the beach.  I'll take a bathing suit, but will likely only swim in the pool at the condo.  I am also relieved that I don't have to buy another car.  My 2002 Toyota is in great shape and it's only driven once a week since my fall and doesn't have a lot of miles on it. When I bought it, I'd already decided this would be my last car.  We'd owned Toyotas since the 70's and they have been extremely reliable.

Alpiner, I hope you were able to nap yesterday and are feeling better this morning.  Coughing can be so exhausting and it seems as if it will never stop.  Try to take it easy today and I hope you can control the coughing.

Marilyn, good luck on getting things in order now that Keith is not able to take care of it.  It sounds like son Dr. Keith is supportive of you and will help out when he can.  Meanwhile, take care of yourself and try not to get overtired.

The volunteer will be here shortly, so I'll sign off now.  Have a nice day, Every Buddy.

Sue

P.S. Mary, I haven't been to the beach for 2 years.  We used to meet Tim, Kris, and Ard and Dave before he died and we stayed in a condo with Jon, Stacie, and Alex and Nic when they were not yet in school.  We haven't been down there since I fell 2 years ago.  Tim and Kris have decided not to go with us this year.

Mary, my favorite time to go to Gulf Shores is in the fall.  Fewer people and the beaches are not so crowded.  We haven't been since I fell 2 years ago and I've missed it.  I will call the Winn Dixie in Gulf Shores and order a turkey and Stacie cooks the side dishes, so we'll be feasting (and over eating) for the weekend of Thanksgiving.  Tim and Kris have decided not to join us this year as it's been almost a year since her Dad died and they will probably cook for her Mom at their home. 

Marilyn

Good Morning Buddies.  It is getting so daunting to get things done that need doing especially  with the house. Now I find that I need an attorney to get my name put on the deed. If my name is not on the deed and if Keith has to go facility, I lose the house. If my name is on the deed I can sell it and get into a smaller place.

Taking care of Keith is another daunting project to deal with. At 4:30am I was up taking care of his bag. He has somehow got the  clamp  undone and the urine leaked out I don't know where. I can't find it. That is the 4th ti8mne in 3 days  that has happened. He drags the bag behind him, forgets that he has to pick it up. I will be so glad that he will be able to go the bathroom on his own after his surgery on the 23rd.

The hospice intajke worker will be here tomorrow so then I can get some help.

SharonE

Marilyn, that's the way I thought the deed and Medicaid worked but wasn't sure. Better get that done soonest! It must be so frustrating dealing with the catheter and Keith not understanding. I'm glad you're getting help from hospice. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Jane, that sounds like a nice break, but too bad it rained one day. Enjoy your bridge & luncheon.

I've got the 2nd load of laundry in. Trying to get it all done before John has to pack. I'm going to the FC shortly.

Sue, your TG trip with the family to the beach sounds great. Enjoy! My car is a 2011 Avalon and only has 35k on it, so it wil be my last car too. John's is a 2016, so probably his last too.

Mary, John's cruise is to Puerto Rico and Haiti, but he doesn't plan to get off at either one. He will be to busy playing.

Alpiner, I hope you can get a nap today and that the coughing subsides. If not, call your dr for a codeine cough syrup. I seldom have a problem with coughing, but when I did, that helped me.

Hi Jeanne, Joy, Darlene, Ginny and any I've forgotten. Sharon

Sandy

Marilyn ...

I am so sorry that you and Keith are
having such  difficult time right now. 

I am glad to see that you are going to
see a Lawyer about what to do about
the house and everything else that
affects you financially. 

Things can get very complicated now that
Keith is ill.    Be sure to let the lawyer
know exactly what is going on with him so
that the Lawyer will advise you what to do
that will be in your best interest now.

Best wishes,
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyn

A 50 year friend of Keith (college roommate) is coming Saturday, He is not practicing anymore but he is an attorney. I will ask him what to do. He has given me the names of attorneys he has worked with in the past. it is now time to  talk to them. The only problem facing this is that Keith can't be out any about with the catheter and bag, walk inbto an office to sign the papers.

Cottoncandy

Prayers for you Marlyin......let's hope there's no problem due to his altimizer diag.....it's still warm here in Texas...we will probably cool off about Haloween....I am trying to declutter...have so much to get rid of..Hi to all my buddies...prayers..wisdom and understanding to all Darlene